Author Topic: The RAWK Film Thread  (Read 3474522 times)

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The RAWK Film Thread
« Reply #44520 on: January 22, 2017, 05:43:09 pm »
My friends used to torture me by putting "Touch of Grey" on the jukebox - I've never been shy about exposing my pressure points  ;D

And that's less than six minutes long! I've got songs of theirs five times longer ;D
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #44521 on: January 22, 2017, 05:44:50 pm »
"That Woman died." Thelma Schoomaker might be surprised to know that...fucks sake la. ;D

Schoomaker edited Silence....and every other film you can think of back to Raging Bull. She also edited Who's That Knocking at My Door, Scorsese's first feature and an uncredited editing of Mean Streets.

Dead..... ;D

As an aside...she was also married to one of the UK's greatest filmmakers, Michael Powell.

Tarantino's woman editor, not Scorsese's  ;D
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #44522 on: January 22, 2017, 05:47:32 pm »
And that's less than six minutes long! I've got songs of theirs five times longer ;D

I know, and I have heard every one of them. I didn't think it was entirely fair that my friends thought I drank vodka too wildly
when they were the ones putting that "Riptide" and other horrible shite in my ears. How else was I supposed to deal with it?

(Actually, I just dealt with it by playing the Police in response, which is how I would deal with you as well  :lmao )
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44523 on: January 22, 2017, 05:55:28 pm »
Tarantino's woman editor, not Scorsese's  ;D
Sally Menke. Tarantino needs a person with a big stick to hit with when he's in the editing room....not an editor. ;D
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #44524 on: January 23, 2017, 12:23:07 pm »
"That Woman died." Thelma Schoomaker might be surprised to know that...fucks sake la. ;D

Schoomaker edited Silence....and every other film you can think of back to Raging Bull. She also edited Who's That Knocking at My Door, Scorsese's first feature and an uncredited editing of Mean Streets.

Dead..... ;D

As an aside...she was also married to one of the UK's greatest filmmakers, Michael Powell.

Silence is deliberately slow paced, it's not entirely about the edit. You could make it a shorter movie quite easily with an edit, but it would still be slow, just more disjointed. It's a contemplative film, almost like a meditation at times, and the lack of music has an interesting effect too.

One you definitely have to be in the right mood for.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #44525 on: January 23, 2017, 12:59:40 pm »
Hell or High Water was great, really enjoyed it even if the last scene did feel slightly unsatisfactory.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 01:01:14 pm by LallanaInPyjamas »

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Number 21 of the Crazy 88
« Reply #44526 on: January 23, 2017, 01:01:31 pm »
Didn't really like Silence but think that's more to do with the fact that I view all religion as hokum and therefore never really bought into anyone's struggle.

Some of the cinematography is breath taking mind.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #44527 on: January 23, 2017, 02:44:30 pm »
Didn't really like Silence but think that's more to do with the fact that I view all religion as hokum and therefore never really bought into anyone's struggle.

Some of the cinematography is breath taking mind.

I had the same problem lots of sitting around talking about religion, but I don't mind a good nail him to the cross movie but all this inner struggle with religion leaves me cold.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Rattleduser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #44528 on: January 23, 2017, 02:45:05 pm »
Jackie 2016 DVDScr XVID AC3 HQ Hive CM8
PSN: white-of-my-eyes

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44529 on: January 23, 2017, 03:38:18 pm »
Jackie 2016 DVDScr XVID AC3 HQ Hive CM8

Jackpot! Stupid cinemas near me arent screening it and I'd been looking forward to seeing it for ages.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44530 on: January 23, 2017, 04:32:06 pm »
Patriots Day was a good movie, even got a bit emotional at the end.
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44531 on: January 23, 2017, 06:07:38 pm »
Patriots Day was a good movie, even got a bit emotional at the end.

much like with the above posters and religion i cant watch a film with Mark Wahlberg and keep a straight face, nevermind get teary.
he peaked with The Big Hit and its all been downhill since. imo. Three Kings aside.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44532 on: January 23, 2017, 06:10:37 pm »
much like with the above posters and religion i cant watch a film with Mark Wahlberg and keep a straight face, nevermind get teary.
he peaked with The Big Hit and its all been downhill since. imo. Three Kings aside.

Fair enough I guess, I have the same issue with Meryl Streep and those other LOOK AT ME I'M ACTING type actors.

FWIW it wasn't anything to do with Marky Mark that got me emotional haha
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline aggerdid

• Reads the subtitles on "Queer as Folk" from right to left
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44533 on: January 23, 2017, 11:21:59 pm »
Silence really is an experience. Left me on a real downer. Its a real struggle to watch but that shows its told this particular story very well. No soundtrack in the full film if i remember correctly just wind/waves crashing/screaming. This isn't your scorsese standard tale of a rise and fall but its a project hes wanted to do for the best part of 30 years apparently.

Andrew garfield filmed this in feb-may 15 as a skinny priest then filmed hacksaw ridge in september 15 as a soldier. Impressive feat even if he isnt everyones cup of tea
We must embrace pain and burn it as fuel for our journey - Kenji Miyazawa

Offline Igor Tripod Biscan

• Got it, got off it, got on with it. Is rice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 96
« Reply #44534 on: January 24, 2017, 12:22:12 am »
Fair enough I guess, I have the same issue with Meryl Streep and those other LOOK AT ME I'M ACTING type actors.

FWIW it wasn't anything to do with Marky Mark that got me emotional haha

Tom Hardy is one, Hoffman is too, Pacino turned into one after being ace in his early career, same as Nicholson, Hackman and many other greats, De Niro does these days aswell
Liverpool is the pool of life.
Carl Jung, 1961.  Alan Partridge didn't ask for a second season you meff

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44535 on: January 24, 2017, 02:35:50 am »
Tom Hardy is one, Hoffman is too, Pacino turned into one after being ace in his early career, same as Nicholson, Hackman and many other greats, De Niro does these days aswell

When was the last time De Niro/Pacino/Nicholson or Hackman were really in a prestige movie?

Hardy and DiCaprio I think are good shouts.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #44536 on: January 24, 2017, 02:48:28 am »
When was the last time De Niro/Pacino/Nicholson or Hackman were really in a prestige movie?

Hardy and DiCaprio I think are good shouts.

De Niro Silver Linings Playbook.

Cant remember the last time Jack made a film or Hackman.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 02:52:00 am by Trada »

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #44537 on: January 24, 2017, 12:50:26 pm »
Hackman has retired for more than a decade now. Lovely actor.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #44538 on: January 24, 2017, 01:43:22 pm »
Oscar Nominations out. Here are the biggies

No Amy Adams nomination and a Mel Gibson directing one are the biggest surprises.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #44539 on: January 24, 2017, 02:00:26 pm »
I would have rather have seen Captain Fantastic up for best film than Hacksaw Ridge.

La La Land up for 14 didn't think it was that good.

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44540 on: January 24, 2017, 02:04:11 pm »
Hackman has retired for more than a decade now. Lovely actor.

Peter Fonda said the other day Jack Nicholson was pretty much retired. Think it's also over a decade for him too.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44541 on: January 24, 2017, 02:22:35 pm »
My Oscar picks:

Picture: Moonlight. Usually, La La Land would walk it because the academy are suckers for anything showbiz or 'art' related but I think the Trump backlash means the time is exactly right for Moonlight. The only thing that would make me bet against it is that A24's pockets might be too small for a big campaign.

Director: Chazelle. Best director was synonymous with best picture for years but that seems to have changed in recent times. It's usually someone with a legacy of acclaimed films and a visual flair, which makes Chazelle the obvious choice. Villeneuve's not arty enough, Lonergan's not flashy enough, Jenkins is too green and there's no way they'd give it to Gibson.

Actress: Portman. I've always thought she was wooden but Jackie's got lots of attention and the academy loves a portrayal of a real life person. This is another category where I think the Trump backlash will play a part - people will be nostalgic about a time when the presidency was classy. I don't think this will be close but I'm also surprised Adams isn't there.

Actor: Affleck. The fuss about sexual harassment might be a factor but I don't think most people care about that in Hollywood, or at least they take it as part of the game. Garfield's the other big contender, and he might get it if people want to reward Hacksaw Ridge without giving anything to Gibson personally. This one is probably a toss up.

Supporting: Jeff Bridges and Viola Davis will walk them.

Screenplay: Manchester by the Sea or Hell or High Water for Original, Moonlight for Adapted.
Peter Fonda said the other day Jack Nicholson was pretty much retired. Think it's also over a decade for him too.
I don't think Nicholson's doing that well healthwise. He hasn't been seen in public much of late and he said a few years back he was giving up acting because he was having more and more trouble remembering his lines.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44542 on: January 24, 2017, 04:10:04 pm »
Oscar Nominations out. Here are the biggies

No Amy Adams nomination and a Mel Gibson directing one are the biggest surprises.

Yeah, I really like Arrival, but I don't see it getting Best Picture, thought Amy Adams was excellent in it, though. Haven't seen any of the other performances, but Ruth Negga is absolutely brilliant in "Preacher" and I expect she'd really excel in a more serious role.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Titi Camara

• Hey, wanna hear the new dubstep song I wrote? Wub, Wub, Wub! Wubba Lubba Dub Dub! I'm Pickle Rick with hirsute areolae!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44543 on: January 24, 2017, 04:26:52 pm »
I would have rather have seen Captain Fantastic up for best film than Hacksaw Ridge.

La La Land up for 14 didn't think it was that good.
We all know it's an absolute crock of shit. Now and again they get the big stuff right but so often get it wrong it's basically a farce!

I couldn't give a shit who wins what, if fact I'd go as far as to say I'm more interested in the views expressed on RAWK than I am by that elitist mob.

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44544 on: January 24, 2017, 04:31:35 pm »
2016 UK Top 10 (No Order)
The Revenant
Room
Arrival
Spotlight
Zootropolis
Demolition
When Marnie Was There
Captain Fantastic
Hell Or High Water
Hunt For The Wilderpeople

Special Mentions (No Order)
The Girl With All The Gifts
The Witch
The Big Short
The Hateful Eight
Deadpool
Kung Fu Panda 3
The Finest Hours
10 Cloverfield Lane
Eddie The Eagle
Captain America: Civil War
Green Room
The Conjuring 2: The Enfield Case
The Secret Life Of Pets
Deepwater Horizon
Everybody Wants Some
The Nice Guys
Kubo And The Two Strings
I, Daniel Blake
Star Wars: Rogue One

Still To Watch (as I'm a lazy arse)
The Assassin
Hail, Caesar!
Anomalisa
Son of Saul
The Neon Demon
Embrace of the Serpent
The Fits
Mustang
American Honey
Under the Shadow
Notes on Blindness
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 04:33:53 pm by Titi Camara »

Offline Ray K

• Loves a shiny helmet. The new IndyKalia.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truthiness
« Reply #44545 on: January 24, 2017, 04:33:40 pm »
Significant news:

If Lin-Manuel Miranda wins for best Song, he becomes the youngest person to earn an EGOT.

Tracy Jordan will be devastated.
"We have to change from doubters to believers"

Twitter: @rjkelly75

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44546 on: January 24, 2017, 04:40:40 pm »
Yeah, I really like Arrival, but I don't see it getting Best Picture, thought Amy Adams was excellent in it, though. Haven't seen any of the other performances, but Ruth Negga is absolutely brilliant in "Preacher" and I expect she'd really excel in a more serious role.

That's so weird, I think she's far and away the worst part of Preacher!

I really hope Denzel wins. Haven't seen enough to categorically say he should but he was incredible in Fences.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Trada

• Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #44547 on: January 24, 2017, 04:57:37 pm »
Moana screener is about now.

Offline SyukriJ

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • Out of darkness cometh light
« Reply #44548 on: January 24, 2017, 05:04:49 pm »
So Deadpool didn't get nominated for Best Picture?  ;D
"One of the things I keep reminding players is that when you're lost in a fog you must stick together" - Bob Paisley

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44549 on: January 24, 2017, 09:08:14 pm »
Doctor.Strange.2016.DVDScr.XVID.AC3.HQ.Hive-CM8

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44550 on: January 24, 2017, 09:10:11 pm »
Significant news:

If Lin-Manuel Miranda wins for best Song, he becomes the youngest person to earn an EGOT.

Tracy Jordan will be devastated.
;D

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44551 on: January 24, 2017, 09:16:18 pm »
2016 UK Top 10 (No Order)

Special Mentions (No Order)

Still To Watch (as I'm a lazy arse)

Loads missing from those lists, la....loads.

Offline dave 5516

• Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #44552 on: January 24, 2017, 09:19:06 pm »
I'm after an Irish film called A Date For Mad Mary if anyone sees it about post it up in here, please. Ta.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #44553 on: January 24, 2017, 11:58:34 pm »
After a lengthy run of underwhelming / shite movie experiences, finally touched lucky over the past few weeks with some quality / terrific efforts....

American Honey...always had a soft spot for LaBeouf, has enough edge to make him interesting and has something of a screen presence about him - even in shit films, and this isn't remotely shit...he plays his part in what is a ramshackle but rewarding road movie - but its the unknown lead that the movie belongs to; Sasha Lane...what a find, you cant take your eyes off her....even though not a great deal happens, but the naturalistic / fly-on-the-wall vérité feel keeps you engrossed throughout...and it has a totally boss soundtrack - ie, this...and if you dig this you'll dig the rest of the movie 8/10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajVSMZVGO5U

Sing Street...next time we get twatted, turn the radio/telly/internet off and watch this...a heartwarming, genuinely laugh out loud funny coming-of-age trawl through 80's pop culture and young love - reminiscent of 'P'tang, Yang, Kipperbang' - and again the soundtrack is a belter - all original tracks penned by Gary (Danny Wilson) Clark, so quality is assured. An absolute guaranteed pick-you-up 8/10

Hacksaw Ridge....an epic, schmaltzy WWII blockbuster that also happens to be one of the most graphic depictions of warfare ever committed to screen. Told in three acts ...a) background/family/love story ...b) basic training/meet the platoon .....c) absolute fookin CARNAGE! ....overdoes the sentimentality at times and manipulates the heartstrings - but so what? its unabashed old fashioned film making - and overall it packs such an emotional punch that it makes it well worth your while......a truly remarkable, gruesome and incredibly moving tale. Andrew Garfield?...who knew? 8/10

Manchester By The Sea ...left the best till last.....always liked the young Afleck...nice downbeat way about him and the roles he's played, but to be honest i really didn't think he was this good....seriously one of the best acting performances i've seen in   years...he's impressive and brooding enough even when you don't really know what the film is about...but when the pieces start falling into place his depiction turns from impressive to stunning. I'll give no more away - avoid any reviews, settle down with a few beers and enjoy it. An achingly sad movie but balanced with enough humour to make it a richly rewarding experience. Masterful film-making. 9/10

Next up: La La Land
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #44554 on: January 25, 2017, 10:28:30 am »
Split was better than I thought it would be, McAvoy was pretty decent in a challenging role but some of the acting elsewhere felt extremely wooden.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44555 on: January 25, 2017, 01:46:35 pm »
That's so weird, I think she's far and away the worst part of Preacher!

Doesn't surprise me, you have spectacularly bad judgement.  :P
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Titi Camara

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44556 on: January 25, 2017, 02:17:17 pm »
Ha! ;D

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #44557 on: January 25, 2017, 04:39:36 pm »

I liked Dr Strange so  :P

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44558 on: January 25, 2017, 05:05:18 pm »
Has anyone seen Lion?

Offline DrTobiasFunke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44559 on: January 26, 2017, 04:09:07 am »
Maybe I'm going soft but I absolutely loved La La Land.

Just one of those movies where you can go to the cinema and get transported to another world.

Can't help but hate Damien Chazelle though! A few years older than me and he's directed three critically acclaimed movies. And I'm sitting in my flat staring at the damp patch on the ceiling.