Author Topic: 2018 Formula 1 Thread  (Read 203828 times)

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Re: 2018 Formula 1 Thread
« Reply #3800 on: November 13, 2018, 05:52:01 pm »
BBC have grabbed the rights to Formula E this season I see.
Soooooo dull
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #3801 on: November 13, 2018, 06:37:28 pm »
Soooooo dull

BBC taking any sport right now can only be a good thing

Plus Massa will be driving for them. Add to that the cars don't need swapping. Could be fun

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #3802 on: November 13, 2018, 06:43:21 pm »
Soooooo dull

A lot of it’s to do with coverage and production and the BBC will probably do a better job then ITV4 so it might become a bit more watchable - but at the same time it’s still going to be drivers who failed to make it into F1, couldn’t stay in F1 or retired from F1.
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Offline KOTP

• Arch Cunt + Official RAWK scarf swapper. Possibly the most laughably out-dated signature on the entire site, we hope.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3803 on: November 13, 2018, 07:20:18 pm »
is it gonna be shown on mainline tv though or via red button if its via the red button they might as well not really bother as only gonna get the hardcore watching where as if its on mainline might get a bigger audience

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3804 on: November 15, 2018, 01:22:04 pm »
Alonso to drive for Mclaren at Indy 500. A little scarce on details and not a major surprise I guess.

Offline Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3805 on: November 16, 2018, 05:53:33 pm »
Rumours are that Robert Kubica will sign for williams next week..

Mind you, same rumours surfaced last year too..

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3806 on: November 16, 2018, 06:04:26 pm »
Rumours are that Robert Kubica will sign for williams next week..

Mind you, same rumours surfaced last year too..
He's 33 and has a dodgy arm.
Surely there are better drivers to bring in/keep?
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline Paul_h

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3807 on: November 16, 2018, 06:33:48 pm »
He's 33 and has a dodgy arm.
Surely there are better drivers to bring in/keep?

has to bring in sponsorship money too…such is the state of williams

Offline Tesco tearaway

• Would just LUUUUUUURVE to 'swipe your clubcard', ooooooh matron!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • *NoVoid-19
« Reply #3808 on: November 16, 2018, 10:12:23 pm »
has to bring in sponsorship money too…such is the state of williams
That's a shame  :(
Is he even guaranteed to be able to finish a race?
Lewis has been absolutely shattered during a couple of his post race interviews.
If your moral compass is Piers Moron then I ask you to think whether someone who oversaw illegal phone hacking and published fake pictures depicting War Crimes is an appropriate person to look up to. In fact, I'd suggest you're a bit of a c*nt.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #3809 on: November 18, 2018, 11:04:15 am »
Horrible crash in F3 in Macau.

Sophia Florschool flew over the crash barrier and into some hording. She is conscious and heading to hospital now for assessment. Initial diagnosis is stated as a spinal fracture
« Last Edit: November 18, 2018, 11:06:23 am by gazzalfc »

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3810 on: November 18, 2018, 11:12:00 am »
Horrible crash in F3 in Macau.

Sophia Florschool flew over the crash barrier and into some hording. She is conscious and heading to hospital now for assessment. Initial diagnosis is stated as a spinal fracture

Crazy footage. Looks like a TV tower or something she crashes in to. If that's not there, I think we'd be discussing a fatality.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3811 on: November 18, 2018, 11:15:03 am »
Just seen the footage, that’s a horrendous accident.

Online RedBlakey

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #3812 on: November 18, 2018, 12:25:44 pm »
Holy sh*t ! Just seen the incident.  That must be some sort of brake failure the speed she was going.  One lucky girl to only suffer a spinal fracture after that impact. Shocking.
Never seen him playing I think. But looks like a good player.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3813 on: November 18, 2018, 12:51:16 pm »
I cannot believe anyone survived that...

It’s horrific.  The speed was very high at impact, astonished that she is conscious.

It a slow corner, what on earth happened?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3814 on: November 18, 2018, 12:55:12 pm »
Preceded by a fast straight though. Car needs to be 4 wheels planted to brake effectively. I’m not sure what led to it flying backwards through the air, none of the clips I’ve seen show that part.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3815 on: November 18, 2018, 03:44:29 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/V88l7Eb3vfI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/V88l7Eb3vfI</a>

I assume it's ok to provide footage at the very least for analysis, considering there were no fatalities.  A savage hit, and just off the heels of that horrible Robert Wickins' crash at Pocono in October, and his back was broken as well.  Given the state of that course and how fast she was going into that turn, it seems that her getting airborne and into what looks like a camera booth saved quite a few lives.  The flagman's hole in the catch fence directly in the overrun path of a hard braking racing line is a nice touch, and that wall looks pitiful... had she been lower or missed that booth...   :-[

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3816 on: November 18, 2018, 04:24:16 pm »
I read somewhere she got clipped and spun and somehow all her momentum took her backwards at that pace until she collided with the turning car and getting airborn. Hard to tell that she is going backwards the whole time, and at that pace. Wow

Offline Sammy5IsAlive

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3817 on: November 19, 2018, 12:27:33 am »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/V88l7Eb3vfI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/V88l7Eb3vfI</a>

I assume it's ok to provide footage at the very least for analysis, considering there were no fatalities.  A savage hit, and just off the heels of that horrible Robert Wickins' crash at Pocono in October, and his back was broken as well.  Given the state of that course and how fast she was going into that turn, it seems that her getting airborne and into what looks like a camera booth saved quite a few lives.  The flagman's hole in the catch fence directly in the overrun path of a hard braking racing line is a nice touch, and that wall looks pitiful... had she been lower or missed that booth...   :-[

To be fair it looks to me that there wasn't a gap in the catch fence but she just went through it. On the first clip you can see the fencing on either side of the impact fall down a moment after she went through.

Its a miracle no-one was killed - as far as I can see there was pretty much one small survivable gap between the lampost/pylon to the right (which would have definitely been fatal to her) and the camera stand/observation post on the left (that would probably have been fatal to her and trackside personnel). It looks to me like she went through that gap and just nicked the camera stand before going into whatever those blue facings were behind the wall.

Offline Umbarto

• of the Red Dojo
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3818 on: November 19, 2018, 12:36:24 am »
To be fair it looks to me that there wasn't a gap in the catch fence but she just went through it.

Yeah she definitely went through the fence, there's just about a four foot gap to the left of where she hit, you can see a bit clearer when viewed at fullscreen but unfortunately have to watch it on youtube for the fullscreen button it seems.

Definitely wish all those involved nothing but the best, horrible moment.

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3819 on: November 19, 2018, 07:20:07 am »
8 seconds into this vid seems to be what triggered her loss of control https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yp8MGD-2y4

Seemingly innocuous

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3820 on: November 19, 2018, 08:42:14 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/I_lost_my_legs_but_not_my_daredevil_spirit

Looking forward to the movie. The fact he is back behind a wheel, never mind getting poles and podiums is sensational. Totally in awe of this kid.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #3821 on: November 19, 2018, 11:31:37 am »
8 seconds into this vid seems to be what triggered her loss of control https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Yp8MGD-2y4

Seemingly innocuous

I initially thought she'd mixed up the brake and accelerator pedals.
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline sminp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3822 on: November 19, 2018, 01:59:43 pm »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-sh/I_lost_my_legs_but_not_my_daredevil_spirit

Looking forward to the movie. The fact he is back behind a wheel, never mind getting poles and podiums is sensational. Totally in awe of this kid.

There’s an hour long episode following his journey back to racing on BBC Three on iplayer.
My Betfair referal code for anyone who wants it: R6K4MTAQM (You get a Ł25 free bet)

"Liverpool are magic, Everton are tragic."
"It was like playing in a foreign country." Ian Rush on his time with Juventus in Italy
"Don't worry Alan. At least you'll be able to play close to a great team!" Bill Shankly to A

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3823 on: November 19, 2018, 05:33:00 pm »
She’s had the operation and it’s been a success. No risk of paralysis.  Genuinely astonishing.

It looks like the tower that she hit rocked backwards and deformed quite easily.  This seems to have had a sort of airbag effect and reduced the force on impact.

Rather her than me though
W

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3824 on: November 19, 2018, 09:05:12 pm »
Hit the side at 170mph the team says...
W

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3825 on: November 19, 2018, 09:21:54 pm »
There’s an hour long episode following his journey back to racing on BBC Three on iplayer.

On BBC2 now, just watching it
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #3826 on: November 20, 2018, 08:13:52 am »
The BBC are doing a series of articles about Alonso with his imminent retirement from F1 (great shame !). Anyway, links below and some good reading on this divisive but spectacularly good driver....

Part 1

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46225204

Part 2

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46226823

Part 3

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46228877

Part 4

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46238233

Part 5

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/formula1/46237953

"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #3827 on: November 20, 2018, 09:12:39 am »
his last few years at McLaren would be like Messi or Ronaldo joining Huddersfield for 4 years

he hasnt won a race in years, hasnt even had a podium since 2014 and you know what, it isnt down to him.

wasted. why oh why could a better team not have gone for him
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #3828 on: November 20, 2018, 09:49:07 am »
his last few years at McLaren would be like Messi or Ronaldo joining Huddersfield for 4 years

he hasnt won a race in years, hasnt even had a podium since 2014 and you know what, it isnt down to him.

wasted. why oh why could a better team not have gone for him

The basic theme of the last few pieces above is right i.e. he has made poor decisions and timings. He is right up there with Hamilton as the best in F1 over the past decade and it is such a shame that he has made such poor decisions. I just hope he completes the triple crown - his talent deserves it
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3829 on: November 20, 2018, 09:52:45 am »
The basic theme of the last few pieces above is right i.e. he has made poor decisions and timings. He is right up there with Hamilton as the best in F1 over the past decade and it is such a shame that he has made such poor decisions. I just hope he completes the triple crown - his talent deserves it
yep, i posted that before reading and i am actually coming here to post this quote from piece 4

His career has been, in many ways, a series of wrong decisions replayed. As one insider close to him said: "Ultimately, Fernando kept on receiving bad advice and history repeated itself.

"When he should have stayed at McLaren, he signed to go back to Renault. When he should have moved to Red Bull, he signed with Ferrari. When he should have stayed at Ferrari, he signed for McLaren. Unfortunately, always the wrong decision, and he was never alone deciding."

sad in so many ways

thanks for the links pal

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3830 on: November 20, 2018, 09:57:35 am »
Be sad to see Alonso go after this weekend. He should have probably been challenging more at the front. But I also have to say, and this won't be a popular opinion. I personally feel he's a little overrated in terms of people saying he's the best driver on the grid.

Hamilton out performed him in his first season which says it all to me.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3831 on: November 20, 2018, 10:06:18 am »
Be sad to see Alonso go after this weekend. He should have probably been challenging more at the front. But I also have to say, and this won't be a popular opinion. I personally feel he's a little overrated in terms of people saying he's the best driver on the grid.

Hamilton out performed him in his first season which says it all to me.
its difficult to judge if he is the best when he doesnt have the car

its almost an impossible call to make

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3832 on: November 20, 2018, 10:14:47 am »
its difficult to judge if he is the best when he doesnt have the car

its almost an impossible call to make

Correct. The only evidence we can truly go off was in 2007. He's a great driver. You'd be silly to say he's not. But the best driver on the grid? No, not for me.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Qston

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #3833 on: November 20, 2018, 10:19:24 am »
Correct. The only evidence we can truly go off was in 2007. He's a great driver. You'd be silly to say he's not. But the best driver on the grid? No, not for me.

Fair enough but what I would say is that if he was in the Ferrari rather than Vettel then I do believe Alonso would have been world champion this year.

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3834 on: November 20, 2018, 10:24:01 am »
Hugely mismanaged career which has probably cost him another title or two and a place in the history books alongside the greats.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3835 on: November 20, 2018, 10:31:35 am »
Hugely mismanaged career which has probably cost him another title or two and a place in the history books alongside the greats.
i think he is alongside the greats

just should have won more and didnt have the car to do so

he won two titles, he could have easily had another 3 (2007, 2010 and 2012)

Offline Graeme

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3836 on: November 20, 2018, 11:03:12 am »
Architect of his own downfall earlier in his career. Some real petulant moments, but on driving ability alone he’s right up there with the greatest.

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3837 on: November 20, 2018, 03:06:08 pm »
Fair enough but what I would say is that if he was in the Ferrari rather than Vettel then I do believe Alonso would have been world champion this year.

It's all speculation, but I don't agree.  Even without Seb's mistakes, Ferrari's post-Spa performance slump coupled with their horrible strategy calls would have still seen Lewis win this year and Alonso would have had no control over those events.   

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3838 on: November 20, 2018, 03:58:53 pm »
Yeah, Lewis has won the title by far more points than just the ones Vettel cost himself
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3839 on: November 20, 2018, 04:02:05 pm »
yep, its also a good quality to not make mistakes
Yeah, Lewis has won the title by far more points than just the ones Vettel cost himself
brings me back again to 95

i might review it if there is enough demand