Author Topic: Southampton  (Read 63700 times)

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Southampton
« Reply #200 on: March 15, 2018, 10:33:54 am »
It amazes me, that with the cash in the league, the dirth of English managers not worth more than a pub team job and the quality coaches floating around Germany, Italy and Spain that English football boards always turn out to be complete cowards.

I mean if want a defenisvly stable manager, go get an Italian who’ll at least instil a leve if tactical awareness, not just 7 at the back.
An Italian who has failed at about 20 different Italian clubs?? Their managerial merry go round is much worse than ours.

Think people get caught up in the Premier League hype. The money is nice but going to a shite club abroad different language struggling for relegation isn't most decent foreign managers ideal job.

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #201 on: March 15, 2018, 10:42:54 am »
It's not an exciting appointment but I think the reaction is sort of werd. Hughes did well at Stoke for longer than most managers do well. It goes to shit for most managers eventually.

My thing with Hughes is his connections with Kia Joorabchian and other agents means he tends to bring in a lot of mercenaries to his clubs. Is that the Southampton model? They brought in prospect players when they first re-entered the Premier League but its them keeping hold of them for too long which has messed them up them up this season. At least his teams attack though!
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:51:44 am by OsirisMVZ »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #202 on: March 15, 2018, 11:23:41 am »
Actually don’t think it’s that bad in fairness
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: March 15, 2018, 01:34:30 pm »
My thing with Hughes is his connections with Kia Joorabchian and other agents means he tends to bring in a lot of mercenaries to his clubs. Is that the Southampton model? They brought in prospect players when they first re-entered the Premier League but its them keeping hold of them for too long which has messed them up them up this season. At least his teams attack though!

But the thing is there's 8 games of the season left. Their options are extremely limited. This is a 'I hope to God there's a new manager kick' appointment more than anything.

The idea they could bring in a foreign manager for the last 8 games of the season is insane. They couldn't get a decent one at this point and even if they could, there's big settling in issues when they need results now. Their only option really was probably someone recently out of work in this country, doubt there's much between Hughes and other options that fit that description.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #204 on: March 15, 2018, 01:44:38 pm »
Doesn’t Hughes usually do well for a half season or so? The plan probably is outside of the game this weekend - use the international break as a mini preseason. 

Online Kopenhagen

• Ban hammer of Damocles poised to drop if Everton finish fourth.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #205 on: March 15, 2018, 01:58:09 pm »
It amazes me, that with the cash in the league, the dirth of English managers not worth more than a pub team job and the quality coaches floating around Germany, Italy and Spain that English football boards always turn out to be complete cowards.

I mean if want a defenisvly stable manager, go get an Italian who’ll at least instil a leve if tactical awareness, not just 7 at the back.

Most Italian teams are terrible defensively these days.
"There is no final victory, just as there is no final defeat. There is just the same battle to be fought over and over again."

Online Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: March 15, 2018, 11:14:49 pm »
Doesn’t Hughes usually do well for a half season or so? The plan probably is outside of the game this weekend - use the international break as a mini preseason.
He did well at Stoke for 3 years, just seems things became a bit stale at the end. He's not gonna set the world alight, but he does at least attack, and I think he'll keep them up and do a decent job. With the quality of players they have, Southampton shouldn't be where they are.

Online JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #207 on: March 15, 2018, 11:21:17 pm »
Remember when they finished 8th and reached a cup final then fired their manager because the style of football wasn't too their liking .......

Now it's Hughes and a coin flip for relegation ....oops

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #208 on: April 28, 2018, 12:59:31 am »
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/southampton-paying-the-price-for-transfer-failings-and-divided-team-r3x0m2m9r

Article in the Times about divides between players and Boufal having physical fights with both Pellegrino and Hughes.

It says the majority of their squad actually have relegation release clauses and relegation-wage drops in their contracts. They have the 8th highest wage bill in the Premier League, you can't be going into the Championship with a massive salary so at least they've prepared for that.

They have a derby on saturday against Bournemouth and if they lose they may indeed be doomed.

Would take Bertrand and Ward-Prowse as a year under Klopp would massively improve both, but that's it. If they do go down then I would back them to re-assess their philosophy and come back up soon after, in my opinion they have the best academy in the country in terms of producing players who go on to better clubs (rather than be sold to the Sunderlands of the world ;) ).
« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 01:02:16 am by OsirisMVZ »

Offline jamieredders

• Legacy Fan
  • Upper Centenary Boys - We Are Here
    • Live Online Footy at a bargain price
« Reply #209 on: April 28, 2018, 09:07:25 am »
Think the last time they went down from the PL we won the Champions League

;D
Season Ticket Holder in 2011.  A 16 year wait for a top seat in CE6.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: April 28, 2018, 09:22:01 am »
Think the last time they went down from the PL we won the Champions League

;D

Wasn't there an Incredibles movie as well?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Lycan

• Loves egg. Quite partial to a nipple too. Once came into contact with Jeremy Beadle and his tiny right hand. I used to be a Werewolf, but I'm alright noooooooooowww!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #211 on: April 28, 2018, 09:57:14 am »
Wasn't there an Incredibles movie as well?

Yep. The stars are  aligning.
“There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.”

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #212 on: April 28, 2018, 10:56:57 am »
Lovren looks shit from what I've seen but Wanyama is ok and Osvaldo though a complete knobhead will get a few goals. Meh.
Hmm

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #213 on: May 25, 2018, 10:59:25 pm »
Three year deal for Hughes

BBC Sport@BBCSport
Southampton boss Mark Hughes has signed a new three-year contract with the club https://bbc.in/2krHoK8 #Saintsfc

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: May 25, 2018, 11:02:12 pm »
Three year deal for Hughes

BBC Sport@BBCSport
Southampton boss Mark Hughes has signed a new three-year contract with the club https://bbc.in/2krHoK8 #Saintsfc

Gone by Christmas.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #215 on: May 26, 2018, 06:37:30 am »
Three year contract for basically winning two games against Bournemouth and Swansea.

Easy this management lark.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: May 26, 2018, 06:47:59 am »
Three year contract for basically winning two games against Bournemouth and Swansea.

Easy this management lark.

8 points in 8 games.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #217 on: May 26, 2018, 07:11:42 am »
That'll be a nice payout for him when he's fired at Christmas.

Offline So… Howard Philips

• Penile Toupé Extender. Notoriously work-shy, copper-bottomed pervert.
  • Legacy Fan
  • All I want for Christmas is a half and half scarf
« Reply #218 on: May 26, 2018, 08:14:17 am »
That'll be a nice payout for him when he's fired at Christmas.

Sam or the Moysiah? Can't be Pardew, surely.

Offline QR350

• Definitely NOT one of the "irregulars".....RAWK Queen: spends a lot of time on the throne!
  • Kopite
« Reply #219 on: May 26, 2018, 08:58:10 am »
They deserve to go down. I think they will this season.

Offline Chris~

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: May 26, 2018, 10:14:24 am »
Amazing how they went from being the model mid table club doing things different to just like the rest of the crap in the space of about a year. Guess we helped fund that.

Online Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: May 26, 2018, 11:22:24 am »
Dont know how anyone still actually employs this bloke after that absolute demolition job he did at QPR, worst management I've ever seen, they probably still havent recovered from that.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: May 26, 2018, 11:45:57 am »
Dont know how anyone still actually employs this bloke after that absolute demolition job he did at QPR, worst management I've ever seen, they probably still havent recovered from that.
probably because that wasn’t all his fault, more down to a shit owner

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: July 25, 2018, 11:33:16 pm »
Think this lot may well fall like a stone next season. Nine goals conceded in three pre-season games, one of which was against a Chinese team and another that was against a Derby team that whupped them 3-0. Okay, Harry Wilson was playing but that's still no excuse.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #224 on: July 26, 2018, 11:16:27 am »
It's remarkable the number of their bigger signings from recent windows that flopped that they have loaned out. Clasie, Boufal and Carrillo all loaned out so far.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #225 on: July 26, 2018, 11:33:37 am »
It's remarkable the number of their bigger signings from recent windows that flopped that they have loaned out. Clasie, Boufal and Carrillo all loaned out so far.

Yet our fans will still ‘joke’ that we should sign their scouting department or their transfer targets before they do!
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline bryanod

• Probably in Boyzone with a name like that...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RPLP Champion 2012/2013 & 2013/2014 Double Winner
« Reply #226 on: July 26, 2018, 12:23:58 pm »
They could be in big trouble this year, massive 17/2 to go down, and 8/13 just to finish bottom half
Men of lofty genius when they are doing the least work are most active

- Leonardo Da Vinci

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #227 on: July 26, 2018, 12:32:30 pm »

I think they moved away from the recruitment model they'd been loosely following, of buying promising players that the bigger clubs had looked at and thought "they need to develop a bit more" or "we'd prefer to see how they do in the Prem before stumping up". Players like VVD, Mane, Wanyama, Lovren, Clyne. Maybe they just got pissed off seeing players depart (for huge profits) once they'd developed to their potential at Southampton, so decided to buy players that wouldn't really improve.

:P
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Online Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: July 26, 2018, 12:38:46 pm »

(Credit to Samie)
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #229 on: July 26, 2018, 12:48:26 pm »
Don't think they have a single player better than a low-midtable standard these days. Bertrand maybe.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: July 26, 2018, 01:57:36 pm »
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #231 on: July 26, 2018, 04:30:07 pm »
How are they going to afford to buy anyone now that we're not buying from them any longer?

Twats - had a model that worked and then got all pissy

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #232 on: July 26, 2018, 06:20:25 pm »
How are they going to afford to buy anyone now that we're not buying from them any longer?

See also Lyon, Swansea, Porto, Werder Bremen. Crafting a well worked model takes time. However, the desire for more success often results in it veering off course. It is very difficult to get back

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #233 on: July 26, 2018, 06:28:52 pm »

Did they spend the Virgil money yet?

Edit: I see they have spent a decent chunk this summer.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 06:33:13 pm by Brian Blessed »
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline MrGrumpy

• Miserable old man. Does things with Nutella while trying not to think about football.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: November 4, 2018, 05:14:14 pm »
Hughes out for Christmas? He was a lucky boy to get a job after the Stoke debacle.
Justice for the 96!

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #235 on: November 4, 2018, 05:17:06 pm »
Hughes out for Christmas? He was a lucky boy to get a job after the Stoke debacle.

I don't really understand why they kept faith with Hughes, he is way out of his depth.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: November 4, 2018, 08:50:47 pm »

Offline arthur sarnoff

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: November 4, 2018, 09:19:03 pm »
I was at their game last week, the fans hate it at the moment.  Utterly devoid of confidence as a team, Hughes is useless and their players know it.  No urgency whatsoever.

They're sleepwalking towards a relegation, hoping that three other teams will be worse. 

Offline Destiny

• Main Stander
« Reply #238 on: November 4, 2018, 10:16:20 pm »
I used to admire Southampton's approach of thinking outside of the box with their manager appointments until Pellegrino failed and they hired Hughes. Instead of Hughes they should made a move for some like a Adi Hutter or Marcelo Bielsa like they would of done in the past. Hughes is dreadful and he's record as a manager apart from some solid years at Blackburn and Stoke is shocking I mean seriously how does this guy keep getting jobs in the Premier League?

Offline Floydy

• G is for grumpy. It is modest understatement.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hidden in the shadows, Orchestrating life
« Reply #239 on: November 4, 2018, 10:24:31 pm »
I used to admire Southampton's approach of thinking outside of the box with their manager appointments until Pellegrino failed and they hired Hughes. Instead of Hughes they should made a move for some like a Adi Hutter or Marcelo Bielsa like they would of done in the past. Hughes is dreadful and he's record as a manager apart from some solid years at Blackburn and Stoke is shocking I mean seriously how does this guy keep getting jobs in the Premier League?
How can you say that? the united job is crying out for him.   Old legend, knows the fergie way. Would do a belta of a job there.
Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.  Albert Einstein.  
Unquestionable trust in authority is the enemy of truth. Albert Einstein
Wake up to the war on for your mind!