32 (25.4%)
Murphy
4 (3.2%)
Robertson
27 (21.4%)
Allen
9 (7.1%)

Total Members Voted: 126

Author Topic: The Snooker thread  (Read 653675 times)

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: The Snooker thread
« Reply #11840 on: December 4, 2023, 09:47:30 am »
That last frame was something else to someone who doesn't normally watch snooker.

My bird said the same. She was in awe.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11841 on: December 4, 2023, 09:59:13 am »
So I remember when Davis won his last world title I believe at the age of 29 or 30, and Hendry was the same age for his, that people thought that maybe after 30 the players' eyesight and ability just started going downhill. I think we can say now that age was never really the barrier, Hendry and White stopped Davis and it was the likes of Ronnie, Higgins, Williams coming through that stopped Hendry.

The other mad thing about Ronnie is, at 48 he still looks a lot younger than Dennis Taylor did in 1985 (36 at the time!)  ;D

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #11842 on: December 4, 2023, 10:06:57 am »
So I remember when Davis won his last world title I believe at the age of 29 or 30, and Hendry was the same age for his, that people thought that maybe after 30 the players' eyesight and ability just started going downhill. I think we can say now that age was never really the barrier, Hendry and White stopped Davis and it was the likes of Ronnie, Higgins, Williams coming through that stopped Hendry.

The other mad thing about Ronnie is, at 48 he still looks a lot younger than Dennis Taylor did in 1985 (36 at the time!)  ;D

looking at that now it is quite odd in a way because, for example, reardon won his last world title at the age of about 45 and didn't actually retire until he was about 60 or so. there seemed to have always been "old men" playing snooker. davis, and then hendry, being so young when they started to dominate the game may have skewed views a little bit.

none of those players were as good as o'sullivan, so if they could play on, so can he. that's not to dampen his achievements though.

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11843 on: December 4, 2023, 11:41:39 am »
I think O'Sullivan's erratic temperament - whilst sometimes destructive - has helped with his longevity.  Staying at the top of any field for three decades requires so much dedication and, whilst I enjoy playing snooker, I can't imagine committing my life to it to that extent.

O'Sullivan becoming arguably a top 16 player with his weaker hand probably provided him with some extra motivation when it would otherwise have waned.  Constantly fighting with his inner demons seems to largely be his motivating force to play tournaments these days as he's horribly dismissive of the talent of pretty much every other player around at the moment.  For large parts of those three decades he's been Messi without Ronaldo (or vice-versa, depending on your viewpoint) and he's been largely chasing the records set by Stephen Hendry rather than facing him directly.

There's definitely something to be said though for O'Sullivan's generation pretty much maxing out the technical and match play skills.  As well as himself both Williams and Higgins are still in the top 10.  The following generations aren't blowing the older pros out the water with unheard of shots and positional play like first Hendry and then O'Sullivan did.

Offline meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #11844 on: December 4, 2023, 12:19:46 pm »
Next to any Liverpool success, the only real thing left in sport I care about is him winning the 8th.
I think he deserves to be categorically be seen as the greatest ever and that will seal it. I'd get a massive buzz from it.

As a side, I think it's so bizarre that someone who is so honest and openly erratic about his temperament is still so consistently picked up on by media and detractors as being this confusing, sometimes arrogant riddle. He couldn't be anymore obvious to read. You ask him any question about his snooker enjoyment, or his goals in snooker (during a tournament) and you know what answer you're going to get. A pretty underwhelming response.

Any interview I've seen of him outside of a snooker venue he's a hundred times more enthusiastic and engaging.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #11845 on: December 7, 2023, 04:56:15 pm »
smurphy just hit a 147 in the shoot out. fair play that's an absolutely insane achievement.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #11846 on: December 7, 2023, 05:47:35 pm »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/JHfZAXGMJE0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/JHfZAXGMJE0</a>

Some effort that with the shot clock and the nobheads in the Snooker Shoot Out crowd.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #11847 on: December 8, 2023, 11:53:30 pm »
Just watched a bit of the shootout. God the crowd are irritating. The auditorium isn't big enough for it not to sound like a group of pissheads heckling.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11848 on: December 9, 2023, 01:12:51 am »
Just watched a bit of the shootout. God the crowd are irritating. The auditorium isn't big enough for it not to sound like a group of pissheads heckling.

Yeah can’t watch it for that reason. It’s just a load of attention seeking bantz bellends. Fucking dire.

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11849 on: January 8, 2024, 03:13:15 pm »
Brilliant 147 from Ding.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #11850 on: January 8, 2024, 07:26:28 pm »
Brilliant 147 from Ding.

Hope he gets a World Championship under his belt one day, he's a fantastic player.
:D

Offline Statto Red

• Hung like a sperm whale but only around the middle. Proud owner of a couple of spare arms, although is pits pong like the bins, not very appealing. Bambi on ice.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #11851 on: January 10, 2024, 04:01:00 pm »
Allen & Higgins played a frame straight out of my local social club then, easy pots missed, Allen completly missing the red for a simple safety. :o
#Sausages

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11852 on: January 11, 2024, 03:03:53 pm »
My bird said the same. She was in awe.
Parrot?

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11853 on: January 11, 2024, 03:04:27 pm »
Hawkins v Sullivan just saw 6th frame. Some shocking errors.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #11854 on: January 11, 2024, 03:05:00 pm »
Parrot?
John?

No idea how Ronnie’s got 3-3 out of this.
AHA!

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11855 on: January 11, 2024, 03:08:45 pm »
John?

No idea how Ronnie’s got 3-3 out of this.
If that's his kind of thing then sure ;D

Same. This next frame is poor also.

Offline gerrardisgod

• has all his sisters with him.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Anal Dirge Prat
« Reply #11856 on: January 11, 2024, 03:13:30 pm »
I had my first game in months last Saturday and it was barely worse standard than this.
AHA!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11857 on: January 12, 2024, 04:14:22 pm »
That green from Trump was probably the luckiest shot I've ever seen  ;D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11858 on: January 12, 2024, 05:24:06 pm »
Carter puts Trump out. Good game that.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #11859 on: January 12, 2024, 05:33:59 pm »
Fuck off carter

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11860 on: January 12, 2024, 08:19:42 pm »
Mark Allen on for 147, one red remaining.

He did it! Some wonky positional play but the break was all the better for it.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 08:23:53 pm by Hazell »
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Boaty McBoatface

• Custom Title McCustomtitleface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11861 on: January 12, 2024, 08:23:50 pm »
Nicely done.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11862 on: January 12, 2024, 08:23:54 pm »
Well played Mark Allen!
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #11863 on: January 12, 2024, 08:24:46 pm »
he's been quite shit in the other 2 frames as well

Offline Robinred

• Wanted for burglary.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red since '64
« Reply #11864 on: January 13, 2024, 03:52:00 pm »
Ronnie on song is still without peer - his white ball control and ‘creativity’ are the best ever in the game, and his audacity and bottle under pressure just terrific to watch; 6-2 against Murphy, and into a record number of Masters finals.
"The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology...as long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth." Mikhail Bakunin

Offline sinnermichael

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11865 on: January 13, 2024, 03:58:52 pm »
It's his ability to just go up a gear that sets him apart. As soon as he senses danger he just ups it and pulls away.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
  • Call Meeeeeee The Splund
« Reply #11866 on: January 13, 2024, 04:01:08 pm »
How Masters has he Ronnie won, and who's the record holder if it isn't him?

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11867 on: January 13, 2024, 04:01:22 pm »

Going to the first session of the final tomorrow. Thrilled that iRonnie will be there. You’d expect Allen to go through but I wonder if the late finish last night will affect him.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11868 on: January 13, 2024, 04:01:46 pm »
How Masters has he Ronnie won, and who's the record holder if it isn't him?

He is the record holder with 7 wins.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11869 on: January 13, 2024, 04:02:32 pm »
He is the record holder with 7 wins.
Cheers mate, so he's got that and he's also the record holder for the World Championship?

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11870 on: January 13, 2024, 04:29:08 pm »
Cheers mate, so he's got that and he's also the record holder for the World Championship?

He's going on 8 wins in each.

Obviously, he's great, but his opponements have been crap, this week.

Ding, Hawkins and Murphy - a very nice run there.

Offline TipTopKop

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11871 on: January 13, 2024, 04:34:46 pm »
Ta mate, yeah I'm guessing he has no real (consistent) rival? I say this because his name is always mentioned (rightly so for his remarkable achievements), but it doesn't look like there's a main rival who consistently pushes him like Roger/Rafa used to in Tennis.

Offline PatriotScouser

• Legacy Fan
  • I could agree with you but then we’d both be wrong
« Reply #11872 on: January 13, 2024, 04:56:59 pm »
Ta mate, yeah I'm guessing he has no real (consistent) rival? I say this because his name is always mentioned (rightly so for his remarkable achievements), but it doesn't look like there's a main rival who consistently pushes him like Roger/Rafa used to in Tennis.

He has kryptonite and his name is Mark Selby.  Though it also depends on the mood Ronnie is in. When he's not feeling it, then lots can beat him. But when he's on, no one can.

His long term rivals were Hendry, William and Higgins. Hendry has retired and the other two like Ronnie are getting older and not has great as they once were.

But it's the consistency that Ronnie has that sets him apart (apart from his natural talent)

« Last Edit: January 13, 2024, 05:00:17 pm by PatriotScouser »

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #11873 on: January 13, 2024, 05:31:49 pm »

Obviously, he's great, but his opponements have been crap, this week.

Ding, Hawkins and Murphy - a very nice run there.

Ding and Hawkins are 5 and 6 on the 1 year World rankings that is a pretty tough start. Plus Murphy looked in good nick as well.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11874 on: January 13, 2024, 05:56:15 pm »
Ding and Hawkins are 5 and 6 on the 1 year World rankings that is a pretty tough start. Plus Murphy looked in good nick as well.

Yes, but they are flakey mentally.

Selby, Higgins and Williams, have good recordss against Ronnie, and are tough to play.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11875 on: January 13, 2024, 06:05:53 pm »
He has kryptonite and his name is Mark Selby.  Though it also depends on the mood Ronnie is in. When he's not feeling it, then lots can beat him. But when he's on, no one can.

His long term rivals were Hendry, William and Higgins. Hendry has retired and the other two like Ronnie are getting older and not has great as they once were.

But it's the consistency that Ronnie has that sets him apart (apart from his natural talent)

Hendry wasn't really a rival so much, as he was coming to the end of his era.  Hendry had been around for a while, then there was Higgins, O'sullivan, and Williams.  If my memory serves me correctly. Selby came a long a bit later - he knocked on the door for a bit, until he won he's first major.

It's O'Sulivan's longevity, that's the most impressive, for me.  Winning he first major at 17, and still winning them now.  Of course, it helps that all the other greats are on the wane too, and the younger guys just aren't as good.

Davis - Hendry - O'Sulivan, Williams, Higgins - Selby (the last great player to come a long).

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11876 on: January 13, 2024, 06:14:33 pm »
As someone who doesn't pay interest to snooker regularly if it wasn't for Sullivan I wouldn't watch it at all.

Offline TheShanklyGates

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11877 on: January 13, 2024, 06:15:49 pm »
As someone who doesn't pay interest to snooker regularly if it wasn't for Sullivan I wouldn't watch it at all.

Think you're far from alone in that. Snooker will have a huge void to fill when he finally calls it a day.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11878 on: January 13, 2024, 06:19:27 pm »
Think you're far from alone in that. Snooker will have a huge void to fill when he finally calls it a day.
Agreed. Can't see anyone in the level below Sullivan that can attract a neutral to the sport like he does.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11879 on: January 13, 2024, 06:38:49 pm »
Agreed. Can't see anyone in the level below Sullivan that can attract a neutral to the sport like he does.

I think people are harsh on some of the current crop of players. I know O'Sullivan's been less than complementary about them and there's no one in the class of say Hendry, O'Sullivan and Higgins but the standard is still really high, it's just that those particular players are amazing and that kind of thing just doesn't happen all the time.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.