Author Topic: The bigger picture; £500,000 saved. A WEEK.  (Read 41993 times)

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: The bigger picture; £500,000 saved. A WEEK.
« Reply #480 on: August 1, 2013, 10:13:13 pm »
Sure that's true and at one stage we were among the richest clubs in the country, but that was a different era when the league was more akin to what the Championship is now. Most income came from gate receipts with a little bit of TV money and commercial income and there wasn't a huge disparity between clubs like there is now. Then United came in and started milking their commercial income, then the Champions League blew up and created a top 4, TV deals have been increasing exponentially since '92 and now we have billionaires who are spending money on clubs for other than commercial reasons. What we failed to do was maximse our commercial and stadium income when the premier league was formed and we were nearer to our glory days. Operating a football club in today's market is a completely different proposition to when the Moores family were owners.

Yep no doubt they missed the boat on more than one front, call it complacency, incompetence, maybe a bit of both.  However Moores owned the club as recently as 6 yrs ago, it wasn't exactly decades ago.  He made a horrendous decision in 2007 and we've been struggling ever since.

Edit: But let's not forget his last couple of years seen us win the CL and FA Cup, so it wasn't all doom and gloom, certainly not on the pitch.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2013, 10:15:13 pm by TSC »

Offline TitanTrigger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #481 on: August 1, 2013, 10:26:38 pm »
Yep no doubt they missed the boat on more than one front, call it complacency, incompetence, maybe a bit of both.  However Moores owned the club as recently as 6 yrs ago, it wasn't exactly decades ago.  He made a horrendous decision in 2007 and we've been struggling ever since.

Edit: But let's not forget his last couple of years seen us win the CL and FA Cup, so it wasn't all doom and gloom, certainly not on the pitch.

The Moores were good owners in the 60s, 70s and 80s, mainly because they didn't have to do too much. Hire Shankly, throw him a little bit of cash and off you go. Back then a good manager could rule the league as we saw with Shankly and Clough taking second division sides to the top of Europe. The problem was that the game changed to one where the owners and their ability to increase revenue became almost as important as the managers job and Moore was found wanting.

One wonders how many titles Ferguson would have won without Kenyon and Gill.

Offline lindylou100

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #482 on: August 1, 2013, 11:32:59 pm »
The Moores were good owners in the 60s, 70s and 80s, mainly because they didn't have to do too much. Hire Shankly, throw him a little bit of cash and off you go. Back then a good manager could rule the league as we saw with Shankly and Clough taking second division sides to the top of Europe. The problem was that the game changed to one where the owners and their ability to increase revenue became almost as important as the managers job and Moore was found wanting.

we certainly rested on our laurels good and proper in the 90's thanks to moores and parry. Its not that they were limited business men that really burnt my pips its that they didn't appear to recognise their limitations enough to actively employ people to do what they could not. Nor did they seem to take notice of the rapid commercial changes that were happening at other clubs, I remember electronic advertising boards at Old Trafford 4 or so years before we even bothered to get them at anfield, instead we were content with static advertising boards for delta taxis.

Its so frustrating to think back on it because if they had done even half of the things that were being done commercially by MU and the like they might never have needed to sell and we could have been spared the horror of the G+H years.

Offline Cid

• Licks cuban heeled shoes but doesn't want anyone to know about it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #483 on: August 2, 2013, 12:16:18 am »
People stress too much.  We've not moved out any high earners who have performed well.  Players like Carroll, Reina, Skrtel are on the chopping block because they had huge wages coupled with mediocre performances.

Its about value for money.  Nobody balks at Suarez's wages because he's worth every penny.

« Reply #484 on: August 2, 2013, 12:53:26 am »
People stress too much.  We've not moved out any high earners who have performed well.  Players like Carroll, Reina, Skrtel are on the chopping block because they had huge wages coupled with mediocre performances.

Its about value for money.  Nobody balks at Suarez's wages because he's worth every penny.
/thread

Sums up everything owners have done since they got here.

Offline tommy LFC

• Despite his sophistication, intelligence, wit, charm and extraordinary good looks, nobody wanted to give him one...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • VAR is shite.
« Reply #485 on: September 8, 2013, 01:45:58 pm »
I thought I'd bump this thread so people could have a look back at some of their posts over the summer.

There was some serious paranoia about FSG going on, but they had a pretty good summer didn't they?

There's such a difference in squads, wage bill and value for money since Brendan took over, and this transfer committee looks to be a brilliant idea.
Let us never forget Rafael Benitez and what he did for us. A fighter full of guts and passion. A gentleman full of class and dignity. A football manager full of intelligence and pure genius. A Legend.
Adios Rafa, buena suerte.

Some people say I'm a dreamer...

Offline MrLil8

• not good enough
  • Kopite
  • Super Title: BANNED
« Reply #486 on: September 8, 2013, 02:04:50 pm »
I thought I'd bump this thread so people could have a look back at some of their posts over the summer.

There was some serious paranoia about FSG going on, but they had a pretty good summer didn't they?

There's such a difference in squads, wage bill and value for money since Brendan took over, and this transfer committee looks to be a brilliant idea.

Absolutely.

Everyone involved has done a great job.

YNWA

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #487 on: September 8, 2013, 02:06:50 pm »

They did in the end, i agree with you there. But there was a fine line that was taken to the very end of the window, it could have been a really poor window but we sorted ourselves out and turned it around.

Still a long way to go to win me over completely, but as long as they keep investing in the squad and giving the manager what he needs, thats the bottom line for me. My only criticism is why we left it so late with a transfer commitee in place. Ive never understood the need for last minute deals if we are looking for value.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #488 on: September 8, 2013, 02:17:36 pm »
They did in the end, i agree with you there. But there was a fine line that was taken to the very end of the window, it could have been a really poor window but we sorted ourselves out and turned it around.

Still a long way to go to win me over completely, but as long as they keep investing in the squad and giving the manager what he needs, thats the bottom line for me. My only criticism is why we left it so late with a transfer commitee in place. Ive never understood the need for last minute deals if we are looking for value.
For me it looked like in the summer we had specific players in mind and  we got them early, I also think that Papa was in mind as well but his injury scuppered it and when Sakho became available we went for him instead.  We were after Ilori early on so I am not sure why that took so long to do.  The only position that we seemed to struggle with was that attacking player, it almost seemed as if we put all our eggs in the Mkhitaryan basket and when that deal went south we scrambled a bit with agents using us with Costa and Willian to get what they wanted. 

My question would be what exactly were we looking for because there seems to be a bit of a different style and attributes between Mkhitaryan, Costa, Willian and Moses who we eventually got?  I would expect that in January that we will go again for this attacking player and it will be interesting to see what exactly Brendan and the commitee seem to be looking for
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Offline telekon

• Keep Calm And Carry On Coughing......Urgently needs to know the German word for "woosh", cos clearly "ironie" escapes him :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm in love with here and I feel fine
« Reply #489 on: September 8, 2013, 02:24:27 pm »

Due to the selling club for one. You can't buy something that is not availabe. But it's not like a transfer takes a day to complete. An average transfer probably takes 4-6 weeks including everything. The fact that we were rumoured with e.g. Ilori already in June most likely indicates that the transfer started very early but was completed much later.

What has the universe got to do with it? You're here in Brooklyn! Brooklyn is not expanding!

Offline Melbred

• Kim cloned.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #490 on: September 8, 2013, 02:25:05 pm »

My question would be what exactly were we looking for because there seems to be a bit of a different style and attributes between Mkhitaryan, Costa, Willian and Moses who we eventually got?  I would expect that in January that we will go again for this attacking player and it will be interesting to see what exactly Brendan and the commitee seem to be looking for

I think they went after the best possible talent who they thought were available. The ultimate goal was to obviously strengthen our attack, but Brendan stated many times throughout the window, that it was all about "availability."

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #491 on: September 8, 2013, 02:27:40 pm »
Some deals also become better value as the window comes to a close.

Both Sakho and Ilori were coming up to the end of their contracts unless I'm mistaken, so the selling clubs ran the risk of losing out for very little, so as the window got closer to closing it made sense for them to become more willing to do a deal. It was rumoured they wanted £12m for Ilori at one stage, and over £20m for Sakho, and we ended up getting both for a combined £10m+ less than those valuations.

Offline Cadno

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #492 on: September 8, 2013, 02:55:51 pm »
I think they went after the best possible talent who they thought were available. The ultimate goal was to obviously strengthen our attack, but Brendan stated many times throughout the window, that it was all about "availability."
So it was less about one player and more about the class of player?  It is a good point.  I suppose teh question then becomes should we have bought below the level we were aiming at just to get someone in or wait till Jan like we seem to have done?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"  - Albert Einstein

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt - Mark Twain(Was talking about H&G)

"When you can't walk, you crawl. When you can't crawl, you get a friend to carry you" - Firefly

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #493 on: September 8, 2013, 03:04:33 pm »

In fairness the credit must go to John Smith who was Chairman of the club from 73-90. Dalglish always talks very highly of the ownership in that era and specifically him.
;D  Mate of mine and me are the same, everyone swears we are brothers when we're out. He calls me slaphead, I call him slaphead, so when I see him I go "slap" and he replies "slap. People be looking and thinking what the f**k are these 2 on  ;D
but he's a blue nose, so he's a c*nt

as per "Slaphead" on the 10th May 2018

Offline Gitsy606

• Anny Roader
« Reply #494 on: September 8, 2013, 03:11:28 pm »
Some deals also become better value as the window comes to a close.

Both Sakho and Ilori were coming up to the end of their contracts unless I'm mistaken, so the selling clubs ran the risk of losing out for very little, so as the window got closer to closing it made sense for them to become more willing to do a deal. It was rumoured they wanted £12m for Ilori at one stage, and over £20m for Sakho, and we ended up getting both for a combined £10m+ less than those valuations.

What was Sakho's fee? Seen figures from 10 to 18 million pound and Euro.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #495 on: September 8, 2013, 03:17:00 pm »
Was sure I read somewhere that we almost got a deal agreed with Ilori just before the U20 when Sporting Lisbon saw a bidding war coming and increased the price.  It was only that no other club were bidding nearing the end of the transfer window when we sealed the deal.

As for Sakho, that came as a surprise. With all the talk of our 1st choice players moving eg Willan, Mkhitaryan,Costa to CL clubs, We managed to get a deal done for him. Thought  the price was on a high side considering he has only 1 year left on his contract and is a defender but if he is the player the committee believed to be worth the price and gets us in the push for fourth place then the value is priceless to be honest.

With all the signings coming in, anyone figured out the wages they are on.  We managed to move some big wages ie Reina, Carroll, Downing out but if the players we signed are on wages similar to those moved out we are back to square one.

Offline Danny_

• Amnesiac_
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #496 on: September 8, 2013, 03:19:05 pm »
The bigger picture is that saving 500k a week translates to 26 million a year - nowadays, that's the transfer fee for one top class player.  So, I guess if we buy another Suarez or Coutinho or Sturridge, the cost cutting measures are justifiable. 

The risk is that we don't leave sufficient cover for key positions.  For example, what would we do if, god forbid, Mignolet got injured.  I know that GK is a special position and you can call a GK back from a season long loan per the rules - you can't call any other outfield player back. But, I doubt that Napoli would have agreed to this.  Napoli probably have a stipulation in the contract that we can't recall him.

So, it is a risky strategy to reduce the wage bill this way.  But, if the money is reinvested back into improving the first team, then I think I am for it.  Maybe, this is moneyball in the PL at work - if we can find ways to get optimal benefit from our available resources, we definitely gain a competitive edge over teams that don't do this. 

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #497 on: September 8, 2013, 03:26:44 pm »
What was Sakho's fee? Seen figures from 10 to 18 million pound and Euro.

Think it was about €18m, so roughly £15m.

Offline johnhouldinglfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #498 on: September 8, 2013, 07:41:36 pm »
With all the signings coming in, anyone figured out the wages they are on.  We managed to move some big wages ie Reina, Carroll, Downing out but if the players we signed are on wages similar to those moved out we are back to square one.

There's no way that the new arrivals were on anything near the same sort of wages as those that departed.

If you just look at the the basic information such as the clubs & leagues we signed the players from, where they were in their careers, their ages etc you can see that value for money in terms of wages was a key consideration in terms of our new arrivals.

Aspas - Celta are not a big club and his wages would have been extremely modest given that they had only just got back into La Liga after being out of it for 5 years. There's also the fact that they were his boyhood club. It's not as if he had moved between 3/4 clubs which would have bumped up his wages with every move.

Alberto - Bought him from Sevilla (was only on loan to Barcelona) Only aged 20. His wages would have been very reasonable.

Mignolet - Sunderland signed him from Sint-Truiden for £2m. He probably got a serious jump in salary when he moved to Sunderland and he got a nice increase when he moved to us but compared to what Pepe was on he would still represent a serious saving.

Toure - Free transfer - was on decent money at City no doubt but was reported in the Echo that he took a significant pay cut from that to join us. The fact that we didnt have to pay a transfer fee makes things easier on the wages front. When you are looking at a player and whether or not they represent value for money you have to look at the total cost to the club. When you remove the transfer fee part of the equation completely it makes getting value out a deal a whole lot easier [As long as you don't give them a long contract on stupid money] There's also the fact that he is only on a 2 year contract so we don't have to be concerned about how things go in 3 or 4 years time. When you compare his likely wages to what Carra was on, it looks potentially like a very decent deal.

Cissokho - I think he might be on relatively high wages (compared to some of the other new arrivals) given he went from Porto to Lyon and then on to Valencia and his age. However it is a loan deal and he will know that if he wants to stay here he will have to perform this season.

Ilori - he's only 20 and had only a year left on his Sporting contract. As such he was on the wages of a contract he would have signed at 18. As such his wages probably took a serious jump by signing with us but in relative terms I would imagine that they are still fairly reasonable.

Sakho - signed his last contract with PSG in March 2011 when he had only turned 21. The important thing about this is that he signed his last contract extension before QSI took over As such while his wages would have been pretty decent, odds are that they weren't anywhere near the loadsamoney level that has happened since at PSG. He had been at PSG since he was 12/13 so he didn't have the moving club effect to push his wages up.

Moses - coming from Chelsea his wages are likely to be pretty high for a 22 year old. As against that he went there from Wigan so they aren't absolutely crazy. However worst case scenario we are only on the hook for one year's wages.

In terms of the 8 new arrivals, it is the 2 who have arrived on loan who look like they potentially represent the worst value for money in terms of wages [This has more to do with the clubs they came from - Chelsea and Valencia (2 clubs that have been poor in terms of prudent financial dealings)In Cissokho's case the terms of the loan deal and the potential purchase are strong'y in our favour by all accounts. However as they are only loan signings, we are only on the hook for a year's wage in each case so in the worst case scenario we can send both of them back to their parent clubs and let them deal with the rest of their contracts if things dont work out.

When you compare that to the fact that Carroll, Downing, Carra, Shelvey, Gulacsi, Spearing, Wilson and Pacheco left on a permanent basis plus the fact that Reina, Assaidi and Borini are likely to have all their wages covered on loan it's very hard not to see there have been savings on the wages front this transfer window.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #499 on: September 8, 2013, 08:03:14 pm »
The ultimate value will be seen in the wins / points column as if we don't increase our points gained by season's end then it wont matter much what wages we have saved.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Online robertobaggio37

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • But we will conquer the ball, each fucking time.
« Reply #500 on: September 8, 2013, 08:13:38 pm »

Absolutely, FSG, Rodgers and co. had a really good window.

Shame about Costa though, would love to have him here.
The biggest problem anywhere in the world is that people's perceptions of reality are filtered through the screening mesh of what they want, and do not want, to be true.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #501 on: September 8, 2013, 08:21:37 pm »
So the £17m or so we spent was recouped in wages. So basically spent nothing but made the squad stronger. Good, but is it enough to get us 4th? I'm not so sure but it is a step forward as we were wasting money and making big losses.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #502 on: September 8, 2013, 08:26:42 pm »
So the £17m or so we spent was recouped in wages. So basically spent nothing but made the squad stronger.

That's not really how it works.

Offline thekitkatshuffler

• Dreams of John Barrowman's lips, bearded ladies and the origins of mirth. Which he thinks is an abbreviation of "Middle Earth".
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #503 on: September 8, 2013, 08:30:14 pm »
And that figure seems to have come from Paris, so you can bet it includes all the add-ons that may or may not be activated over time.

Seems a fair price for his calibre.
David Platt has a face like a Michael Myers mask being stretched over a dinosaur egg.
Aquilani is better than Pele, Maradona, Cruyff, Messi and Beckenbauer put together.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #504 on: September 8, 2013, 08:33:25 pm »
That's not really how it works.

For the financial year accounts it does.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #505 on: September 8, 2013, 08:41:25 pm »
For the financial year accounts it does.

That's great, but businesses have 12 months between accounts.

Offline Henry Kissinger

• Posterior sponsored by Wilkinson Sword. On the Llama Protection Register. Should wash his mouth out with soap and water.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Experience is the name we give our mistakes
« Reply #506 on: September 8, 2013, 11:50:56 pm »
Personally, I've seen enough in our three wins to believe we can make the top 4 this year. We have enough skillful players to get a goal and now the players are clued up enough to know how to close a game out. The gradual belief can be seen from the difficulty and nervousness of the Stoke game to the relative ease with which they kept Utd at arms length. Yes there will be trickier games ahead but I honestly think we'll collect a lot of points against teams who don't have the necessary keys to unlock our defensive game.
"What's passive smoking? There's passive lots of things. Like passive listening to shitheads. I have to put up with that every day. Are you going to ban people from talking crap? They give me a headache. Believe me, they're killing me. One day people's conversations on the street will do me in." Terry Hall

Offline BazC

• ...is as good as Van Basten
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #507 on: September 9, 2013, 12:45:50 am »
So the £17m or so we spent was recouped in wages. So basically spent nothing but made the squad stronger. Good, but is it enough to get us 4th? I'm not so sure but it is a step forward as we were wasting money and making big losses.

We've been finishing 6-8th these last few years, whilst paying top 4 wages. Which showed we were vastly overpaying for the quality we were getting on the pitch. Those players have mostly been cleared out this summer and last. And the club's brought in players in their position who'll hopefully be better, and of course, tried to bring in others but failed. We won't know how good this current squad is until the end of the season, but looking at the amount of work this last 12 months, I think the club's done well.

The failure to sign a top attacker is interesting. Firstly it shows a willingness to pay for quality (although arguably not in Willian's case, but that transfer was kind of mental the way it panned out - when a player posts a photo on Instagram with his agents after apparently signing for Spurs, and calling them "the best agents in the world", you tend to think somethings mess up. When he then goes and signs for Chelsea... well, I don't think we had a shot there and I wouldn't lose sleep over that one. We ended up with Moses, who is a good stop gap in my opinion, and hopefully we'll be able to try and sign a top class attacker in January. (I say that, because if Moses ends up having a top season, I doubt Chelsea would make it easy for us to buy him, so I think he is just that- a stop gap).
“This place will become a bastion of invincibility and you are very lucky young man to be here. They will all come here and be beaten son”

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #508 on: September 9, 2013, 08:05:52 am »

Sakho didn't become 'available' til mid-August when he announced he wanted to leave PSG. PSG wanted 20m Euros for him, so it's not much of a saving. The alternative was to wait til January and pay him most of that in wages and signing on fees, and that's if there wasn't other interest. It's an interesting transfer in a lot of ways because PSG's price was deliberately set to be above his 'value'. Our initial bid was 8m Euros. Roma's was even lower. We'd previously looked at him sufficiently for him to be fully aware of our interest. So it was hardly a shot in the dark with him. Whoever did the groundwork did a good job though because he was pretty adamant that he wanted to come here. And the price we paid strongly indicates we really wanted what he offers.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."

Offline subroc

• cut at you with a clipper? Gas Face given, I beg to differ.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #509 on: September 9, 2013, 08:26:46 am »
This means we can afford at least one so-called marquee signing with marquee-type wages.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #510 on: September 9, 2013, 08:42:59 am »
i doubt this much in wages was saved from last season

carroll and spearing wouldnt have been on the books

in the summer we bought a lot of players, id say there was some savings but not mind blowing.
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Online gazzam1963

• RAWK Cruiser. Andy@Allertons twin brother. Really misses a good fist pump.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #511 on: September 9, 2013, 08:51:30 am »
Wage bill is more than likely lower or pretty much the same , but hasn't income risen due to new incoming tv rights . Too me we just seem to be a more well organised club lately

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #512 on: September 9, 2013, 09:02:59 am »
This means we can afford at least one so-called marquee signing with marquee-type wages.

The limitation is that the players worth blowing the budget for want European football. The ones you cn bribe don't have the winning attitude that we now require. I am fairly certain that there is more money for the right player. I am also glad that we have not panic spent all of our remaining budget on whoever we could get at the last minute.

Online paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #513 on: September 9, 2013, 09:03:21 am »
Wage bill is more than likely lower or pretty much the same , but hasn't income risen due to new incoming tv rights . Too me we just seem to be a more well organised club lately
i dont see the harm in the club using income its generated. if we crack the top 4 thats really opening a lot of doors. net spend wasnt mind blowing but quality rather than quantity in terms of money is what we got.

two brilliant windows in a row

Offline fewmin' bedwetter

• Would appear to have great expectations......
  • Kopite
« Reply #514 on: September 9, 2013, 09:09:31 am »
We were told Suarez was being signed to play alongside Torres - didn't happen. We were told Micky D/Costa/Willian was being signed to play alongside Suarez - didn't happen.

The day I will really believe our owners are serious about getting us back to the top is the day when I see our new shiny marquee forward signing playing ALONGSIDE Suarez.
NEVER starts a sentence with, "So..."

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #515 on: September 9, 2013, 09:14:04 am »

It's likely the club want to reduce wages to turnover %, which would mean the increased TV contract adding to our yearly turnover whilst the wages remain around what they currently are. FSG want value for money, and it's the inefficiency in the wage bill that has been the main wastage of the club over the last few years. Paying top-four salaries to players not delivering top four... They seem to have hit on a formula now with the invent of the transfer committee since before January, and to me we certainly seem to have a much better structure in place. Even if any of the new signings don't work out, there won't be as much to lose as they are all players that have to work for the performance-related contracts we have given them. If any flop, it won't be difficult getting them off of the wage bill as say, Joe Cole's £90k a week.

Offline L666KOP

• Wants everyone to fuck off. Especially you. Yes YOU! Too Tender for Tinder. Would swallow his knob on a genuine fuck up.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #516 on: September 9, 2013, 09:14:36 am »
The limitation is that the players worth blowing the budget for want European football. The ones you cn bribe don't have the winning attitude that we now require. I am fairly certain that there is more money for the right player. I am also glad that we have not panic spent all of our remaining budget on whoever we could get at the last minute.

This is particularly noteworthy mate.

We obviously have the money, and are willing to meet the required salary. We 'tried' to get the players, but the failure to secure European football of any sort has, it would appear scuppered us.

So we get Moses in on loan to tide us over, he'll be desperate to show Maureen that he's worthy of a spot at Chelsea, we only spend 1.5M, and regroup in January, when hopefully we'll be in a stronger position as a team, and able to attract the type of player Brendan wants.

Win allround as I see it.
13mins - Bournemouth have gone home. Utd kicked off anyway. Still 0-0 as Smalling passes it back to De Gea.

Online paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #517 on: September 9, 2013, 09:50:13 am »
We were told Suarez was being signed to play alongside Torres - didn't happen. We were told Micky D/Costa/Willian was being signed to play alongside Suarez - didn't happen.

The day I will really believe our owners are serious about getting us back to the top is the day when I see our new shiny marquee forward signing playing ALONGSIDE Suarez.

one word

sturridge

Offline mabbympb

• Branded he was a man who ran!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Red and White Kop
    • Instagram
« Reply #518 on: September 9, 2013, 10:09:18 am »
one word

sturridge

Who is that? 'pumblechookian' must be stuck in 2011.

Offline Ycuzz

• of the wonderful things he does! I've soiled myself..
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #519 on: September 9, 2013, 10:12:57 am »

Maybe.. just - maybe. Said marquee signing would like to play European football?

Which makes the whole thing kinda.. you know.. hard.

Anyhoots.

I'm quite pleased with how the summer went. And at the risk of falling in the 'accountant' bracket - I actually think it's a good thing we've saved loads on wages.

Club run better financially? Fine by me. Does it take precedent over results on the pitch? Of course not.
@Yvanicuzz