Author Topic: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo Switch)  (Read 6048 times)

Offline Disregarder

• Andshe'llripyerknackersoff
  • Anny Roader
  • TV's own
Re: The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom (Nintendo Switch)
« Reply #40 on: May 12, 2023, 05:31:58 pm »
Copy came yesterday in time for the boy's birthday today. He was so excited to play it on release day. Don't think I'll be prying it out of his hands for a while to get a go!
My 8k rig goes boom
PSN: OireCocobean

Online meady1981

• Confuses “Scottish” with “Scotch”.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #41 on: May 12, 2023, 06:10:54 pm »
People did some amazing things with the tools and powers in BoTW on YouTube, can’t wait to see what people come up with on this one. Like what are the limits of what you can build. Amaze me you shut-in nerds.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #42 on: May 12, 2023, 07:59:20 pm »
Built my first 'Works team-building' raft.

I probably should have gone back to BOTW to get a feel for the game again before I played this but I'll pick it back up again quick.

It might just be my TV but the sunshine outside makes it look too bright.

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #43 on: May 12, 2023, 10:30:36 pm »
Every time I use
Spoiler
Ascend
[close]
I grin like a little kid.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2023, 09:30:36 am »
I'm a couple of hours in. Played through the prologue with my kids and now concerned that my nearly five year old son may be traumatised :lmao

;D

Luckily, I stayed up until midnight and played the intro through on my own. The following morning, my daughter and I explored the Great Sky Island together and had enormous fun sticking stuff together with Ultrahand. „Daddy, daddy, look, get that sail!“ - she was well into it!  ;D

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2023, 07:55:37 pm »
Been out all day in Lark Lane enjoying the weather and good people of this fine city.

That said, I’ve just got in with a copy of this and done the intro, Nintendo are the GOATs of this gaming shit.

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2023, 10:00:35 pm »
NOW THATS WHAT I WANTED TO SEE!

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2023, 09:34:14 am »
For anyone that's played a fair amount- how much does it feel like a new game and not just like picking up BOTW again? I loved BOTW, don't get me wrong, but part of the joy of that game was running around randomly and discovering amazing locations. Is this game the same or just old ground with a bit more change to mechanics etc?
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2023, 10:14:55 am »
For anyone that's played a fair amount- how much does it feel like a new game and not just like picking up BOTW again? I loved BOTW, don't get me wrong, but part of the joy of that game was running around randomly and discovering amazing locations. Is this game the same or just old ground with a bit more change to mechanics etc?

Very mild spoiler anyone who’s played an hour of the game will know

Spoiler
At the moment to me it seems just like BoTW (like I said earlier BoTW on steroids).
But I can tell it's waaaay bigger.
I'm enjoying the new mechanics which take it away from BoTW - they're making the shrines a lot more fun/interesting.
But there are some bits where I just think, oh... this again.

P.s, is alluding to there being shrines a spoiler?
[close]
« Last Edit: May 14, 2023, 11:27:25 am by meady1981 »

Offline Snail

• Disgusted by you. Snail murdering S h e e p. Ms Soppy Twat Potty Mouth. The Annabel Chong of RAWK's X-Factor. Likes giving Sir Cliff of Richard one.
  • Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2023, 02:14:23 pm »
Very minor gripe but I do wish they’d added being able to pick things up from your horse this time round. I’ve played too many games now that let you do it, having to dismount every time you want to gather something is a pain.

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2023, 11:13:00 pm »
Right folks.

I never finished BOTW.  I've gone back to it now but to be honest I can't be arsed playing another 70 hours just so I ca jump into TOTK (which I have bought, and is sitting on my kitchen table as I type).

I'm kind of lost in BOTW and don't know what I'm doing next, other than looking for new shrines.  It was too long between my initial 10 or 15 hours in it and now.

Do I need to finish BOTW first to get the most out of this?

Talk to me.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2023, 06:41:18 am »
Right folks.

I never finished BOTW.  I've gone back to it now but to be honest I can't be arsed playing another 70 hours just so I ca jump into TOTK (which I have bought, and is sitting on my kitchen table as I type).

I'm kind of lost in BOTW and don't know what I'm doing next, other than looking for new shrines.  It was too long between my initial 10 or 15 hours in it and now.

Do I need to finish BOTW first to get the most out of this?

Talk to me.

Gameplay wise, anyone who's never touched BOTW should be absolutely fine. Anything that's relevant to the story of TOTK, you usually get an in-game refresher. You might miss out out on some nuances regarding the plot and lore, but you could always just read up on those.

If you're stuck, try loading your adventure log (press the "minus" button on your Switch), it usually points out what you need to do next to progress in the main quest, and it even logs your progress on side quests.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 07:28:24 am by emergency exit »

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2023, 07:12:33 am »
By the way, something nice I noticed the first time I arrived at a stable:

Spoiler
My three horses from BOTW were still there and ready to take out for a ride :D A very neat case of TOTK making use of your save-data from the previous game!
[close]

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2023, 07:23:28 am »
And here are some tricks I found to be very useful, regarding combining Ultrahand and Recall to make your life A LOT easier in some specific (and very common) situations:

Spoiler
Create a floating platform: Grab a board (or any similar object that you can safely stand on) with Ultrahand, push it out over the gap as far as you can, then pull it back to you. Next, stand on the platform and use Recall on it. It's motion will be reversed, meaning it will float out as far as you had pushed it earlier – with you on top of it! This is perfect for crossing medium-sized gaps between sky islands or other chasms.

Easily gain height: Same principle as above. Use Ultrahand to lift an object vertically, then lower it back down in front of you. Stand on it, then use Recall. It will float back up and elevate you with it. You can even do this with a simple stone!

There's a super cool "extreme" version of this I found online: Stick together as many logs as you can with Ultrahand. Rotate the "super-log" to an upright position. Still with Ultrahand, lift it vertically, then place it back down. Use Recall to lift it back up slightly, leaving enough room to stand directly underneath it. Once you do, use Ascend to ascend to the very top of your super log!! This trick can potentially get you up ANYWHERE, you just need enough logs  ;D

[close]

I am floored by the mechanics of this game, and we've probably not even scratched the surface yet with our discoveries.

Would love to hear what other discoveries you guys have been making  :)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 07:32:49 am by emergency exit »

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2023, 09:34:07 am »
Loving this at the moment. The world feels massive and I don't think I've even scratched the surface yet... literally!

Anyone else also finding the enemies are a bit tougher this time around? Felt like I could swat aside Bokoglins with ease in BOTW, even early game with just wooden weapons. This time around I'm finding it a lot more challenging and have died plenty of times already.

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2023, 10:42:30 am »
It’s just so fucking good.
I can’t stop playing it’s making my eyes hurt.
Forget BoTW - just play this. Forget everything else.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2023, 10:47:25 am »
Yeah it is amazing, I'm still on the first island and I'm not sure I even want to come off it.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2023, 10:59:05 am »
My daughter wants to play this, but she only really played BOTW from my fully topped up save game with maxed everything. I told her I'll buy it for her if she can play a new BOTW save and get off the tutorial plateau. Five minutes later 'Where is my stamina?! Oh shit, my branch broke! I'm dead.' ;D Yeah, that will take a while.

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2023, 12:09:51 pm »
Yeah it is amazing, I'm still on the first island and I'm not sure I even want to come off it.

After the prologue I started heading for one of the main quests and I thought hang on a minute im going to have a mooch around. Three days later and im still mooching. Spent loads of time in the mines because I found a secret map with an X marked on it, and last night spent an hour trying to build an explosive canon to ring a bell as loud as possible for the Goron guy. This could last me all year this game.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2023, 12:11:20 pm »
 ;D

After putting aside the main quest very early to go off and re-explore Hyrule on my own, I quickly found out that it is much more difficult to reach certain familiar places. I spent a good 1+ hours sneaking the long way around to Hateno village, trying to avoid any enemy strongholds  ;D

First thing I did was check on my house (the one you acquire in the BOTW homeowner sidequest), and:

Spoiler
WHY THE FUCK is someone else living in my house?!?  ;D

And strangely enough, on the top floor, THAT picture is still hanging there!  :'( :'(
[close]

After all of that, I returned to the main quest – and only just realized how MASSIVE this game is and how far it all really extends:

Spoiler
The Depths WTF?!?!!? Luckily I had like 50 lightblooms on me, the darkness down there scares the crap out of me. Haven't explored very far yet beyond that main first bit you're supposed to do.
[close]

Generally speaking, I actually appreciate that some parts feel just like BOTW. It helps against feeling completely overwhelmed with all that's going on here.

I also love that there is a lot more momentum to the plot and that the world seems a lot more "alive" in that there's more going on at almost any given place.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2023, 12:13:43 pm by emergency exit »

Offline GiorgosCarraGoonies

• Kopite
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2023, 02:34:11 pm »
Gameplay wise, anyone who's never touched BOTW should be absolutely fine. Anything that's relevant to the story of TOTK, you usually get an in-game refresher. You might miss out out on some nuances regarding the plot and lore, but you could always just read up on those.

If you're stuck, try loading your adventure log (press the "minus" button on your Switch), it usually points out what you need to do next to progress in the main quest, and it even logs your progress on side quests.
Thank you.

Going to play some BOTW now, it's quiet at work.  But tonight when I get home it might be time to jump into TOTK.  The gameplay clips I've seen (I've been trying to avoid) look absolutely incredible

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2023, 02:39:07 pm »
I think if I hadn't completed BOTW I would find this massively overwhelming to be honest. I also find it mad how people can jump straight into a sequel without playing/watching/reading the original first but that's just me.

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2023, 02:49:33 pm »
I didn't finish BoTW either - feel obligated to finish it before purchasing ToTK

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2023, 03:01:36 pm »
To anyone still intent on completing BOTW first:

Please take the time to collect all the memories - this is imperative if you want to experience the full story.

Use an online guide to help you find all the locations if need be.

Remember those voices back in 2017 who complained BOTW lacked a story? I'd wager none of them bothered with this crucial part of the game.

Offline Zee_26

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2023, 03:32:00 pm »
To anyone still intent on completing BOTW first:

Please take the time to collect all the memories - this is imperative if you want to experience the full story.

Use an online guide to help you find all the locations if need be.

Remember those voices back in 2017 who complained BOTW lacked a story? I'd wager none of them bothered with this crucial part of the game.

Yeah the memories add so much depth to Zelda and Link especially, which is a feat in itself as Link is the players surrogate and has not spoken dialogue in any of the games!

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2023, 03:43:44 pm »
Haha I have absolutely no interest in the story  :)

Offline Snail

• Legacy Fan
  • How are we
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2023, 04:42:04 pm »
;D

After putting aside the main quest very early to go off and re-explore Hyrule on my own, I quickly found out that it is much more difficult to reach certain familiar places. I spent a good 1+ hours sneaking the long way around to Hateno village, trying to avoid any enemy strongholds  ;D

First thing I did was check on my house (the one you acquire in the BOTW homeowner sidequest), and:

Spoiler
WHY THE FUCK is someone else living in my house?!?  ;D

And strangely enough, on the top floor, THAT picture is still hanging there!  :'( :'(
[close]

After all of that, I returned to the main quest – and only just realized how MASSIVE this game is and how far it all really extends:

Spoiler
The Depths WTF?!?!!? Luckily I had like 50 lightblooms on me, the darkness down there scares the crap out of me. Haven't explored very far yet beyond that main first bit you're supposed to do.
[close]

Generally speaking, I actually appreciate that some parts feel just like BOTW. It helps against feeling completely overwhelmed with all that's going on here.

I also love that there is a lot more momentum to the plot and that the world seems a lot more "alive" in that there's more going on at almost any given place.

Made it to Hateno yesterday myself, however I didn’t spend any time sneaking, I simply rode my horse straight through the beasties and onwards to the safety of that little hut. It doesn’t take long for them to stop chasing you.

Speaking of Hateno:

Spoiler
Have Link and Zelda been living together?! ;D
[close]

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #68 on: May 16, 2023, 07:47:45 am »
Made it to Hateno yesterday myself, however I didn’t spend any time sneaking, I simply rode my horse straight through the beasties and onwards to the safety of that little hut. It doesn’t take long for them to stop chasing you.

Speaking of Hateno:

Spoiler
Have Link and Zelda been living together?! ;D
[close]

Oh, I am so thick, I actually didn't clock that until now, but I believe you may be right (with the spoiler bit)  ;D

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #69 on: May 16, 2023, 07:52:59 am »
Here's an early game tip to easily get some slightly stronger weapons and armor.

No story spoilers, but I'll still hide it just in case (basically, you can do this as soon as you have the paraglider):

Spoiler
Cook two meals that fully replenish your stamina wheel (especially if you've not updated the stamina wheel yet).

Go the the Lookout village, and launch yourself up the tower.

Turn slightly to your right so you can see Hyrule Castle.

If you take out your paraglider, you can now glide all the way to the upper part of the castle!

Try landing by the entrance to the Sanctum (the throne room where you fought Ganon in BOTW.

There are no enemies in here, but lots of goodies! Royal Claymores, Royal Bows etc.

Extra tip: Try lighting the two torches in the throne room. Thank me later  ;D
[close]

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #70 on: May 16, 2023, 10:03:31 am »
Holy shit, I found the
Spoiler
Hylian shield!
[close]
  :o

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: May 16, 2023, 10:20:28 am »
For those playing, have they at all made weapons more durable?
For all amazing stuff in BOTW, the weapons durability and management was absolutely shocking imo.
It completely ruins any fun in fighting, after a while I just started avoiding combat altoghether.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #72 on: May 16, 2023, 03:24:25 pm »
For those playing, have they at all made weapons more durable?
For all amazing stuff in BOTW, the weapons durability and management was absolutely shocking imo.
It completely ruins any fun in fighting, after a while I just started avoiding combat altoghether.

Fusing an item to your weapon or shield increases that piece of equipment's durability considerably (that's on top of also increasing its attack power).

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #73 on: May 16, 2023, 04:00:25 pm »
Oh man, I've watched a couple of 'things you can do with stuff' videos. It's insane already.

Anyone figure out what the Poes in the mines do when you collect a load?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2023, 09:36:09 pm by meady1981 »

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #74 on: May 17, 2023, 07:53:43 am »
Oh man, I've watched a couple of 'things you can do with stuff' videos. It's insane already.

Anyone figure out what the Poes in the mines do when you collect a load?

I am unhealthily OBSESSED with this game. Watched some of those videos you described aswell and feel an urge to try it all out myself. There‘s just too little time in a day!

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #75 on: May 17, 2023, 07:59:18 am »
Has anyone started/completed the first part of the main quest yet?

Spoiler
I only just arrived at the Wind Temple, so I have no idea what‘s awaiting me inside.

But the entire trip up there, from hearing the kids‘ song to circling your way higher and higher, to finally diving straight down into the eye of the storm - how EPIC was that?!  :o

And how cool is Tulin as your companion? Love how he will randomly headshoot enemies for you. The kid‘s got perfect aim  8)

[close]

Online meady1981

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • LEGACY FAN
« Reply #76 on: May 17, 2023, 09:58:27 am »
I am unhealthily OBSESSED with this game. Watched some of those videos you described aswell and feel an urge to try it all out myself. There‘s just too little time in a day!

Yeah, Im having to seriously slow myself down.

Spoiler about construction:

Spoiler
Have you got the construction recall power yet?
[close]
If so

Spoiler
Have you seen you can save constructions you make and recall them at any time without having to be near the real parts - it just costs zonites. This is a massive gamechanger - you can build vehicles and weapons with flame and lazers and pretty easily beat opponents at any point.
[close]

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2023, 09:59:23 am »
This is better than BOTW. Unbelievable open world and I was getting sick and tired of open worlds.

Offline emergency exit

• Anny Roader
    • X-Realms
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2023, 11:35:12 am »
Yeah, Im having to seriously slow myself down.

Spoiler about construction:

Spoiler
Have you got the construction recall power yet?
[close]
If so

Spoiler
Have you seen you can save constructions you make and recall them at any time without having to be near the real parts - it just costs zonites. This is a massive gamechanger - you can build vehicles and weapons with flame and lazers and pretty easily beat opponents at any point.
[close]

Are you talking about

Spoiler
Autobuild?

I know how it works from some videos, but I‘m not quite there yet.

Without giving too much away: When/whereabouts do you acquire it?

As written above, I just arrived at my first dungeon: the Wind Temple. Haven‘t started it yet though.
[close]

Offline UntouchableLuis

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2023, 11:36:36 am »
This is better than BOTW. Unbelievable open world and I was getting sick and tired of open worlds.

Good to hear.

I've taken the plunge and ordered from Amazon. Coming on Friday but probably won't crack it open for a couple of weeks (or until the Mrs is working night shifts)
"IT'S ENDED.....THE EUROPEAN CUP IS RETURNING TO ENGLAND AND TO ANFIELD."