Author Topic: Euro 2020 (2021) discussion thread  (Read 142328 times)

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
Re: Euro 2020 (2021) discussion thread
« Reply #3480 on: June 30, 2021, 12:25:51 am »
This has been a great tournament. Absolutely fantastic.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Tonyh8su

• Tonyign0r35u
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3481 on: June 30, 2021, 12:27:12 am »

I'll agree when England go out.

Online kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3482 on: June 30, 2021, 01:44:45 am »

Yes it's been a cracker - quarters should be great

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #3483 on: June 30, 2021, 02:22:43 pm »
We shall see, I guess.

De Boer's contract apparently specified that he had to reach the QF. He'd have been sacked had he not quit. Based on what Simon Hughes wrote in The Athletic there seems to have been a belief within the camp that they'd reach the semi-finals after the Group Stage and the players were bewildered by some of the tactical/sub choices made against the Czechs.

Offline jackh

• Has a blog but doesn't like to talk about it. Slightly obsessed with the colour orange for some weird reason......
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • @hartejack
« Reply #3484 on: June 30, 2021, 02:43:46 pm »
32 of us entered this, and as of this morning I'm the only one who's progressed to the quarter finals...another entrant has picked Sweden, so it could be all over tonight!  ;D  Lowest performing competition I've ever participated in I think!

Won this* - happy days.  Austria, Ukraine, Switzerland, and Denmark - didn't even touch one of the fancied teams!

*Don't expect or need anyone to care - I never win anything like this, so I'm just enjoying my moment even if I'm talking to myself ;D

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3485 on: June 30, 2021, 02:48:11 pm »
Won this* - happy days.  Austria, Ukraine, Switzerland, and Denmark - didn't even touch one of the fancied teams!

*Don't expect or need anyone to care - I never win anything like this, so I'm just enjoying my moment even if I'm talking to myself ;D

I'm in a sweep in a WhatsApp group. Only 6 of us. 1 or 2 other posters from here.

Switzerland
Denmark
Croatia
Scotland
Turkey
Poland

They're the teams we chose to draw from. I've got Denmark so hoping they beat the Czechs as can't see Switzerland beating Spain. Thought I was out with the events in the first game.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3486 on: June 30, 2021, 05:31:31 pm »
Decent article on the The Incredible Hulk Swiss fan:-

www.blick.ch/sport/fussball/em/der-mann-des-matches-dieser-nati-fan-geht-als-meme-viral-id16637847.html

'First desperate in the red jersey, then as fearful as the Hulk with a naked torso. Blick met the Swiss national team who became famous overnight. And his journey continues!'

Unfortunately i can see that becoming a meme
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #3487 on: June 30, 2021, 05:48:34 pm »

^ I think it already is just a matter of time mate.

'1,300 Scotland fans who travelled to London later tested positive for Covid':-

Scottish data shows almost 2,000 cases among people who attended Euro 2020 football events

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/30/younger-male-euro-2020-fans-driving-covid-rise-in-scotland & www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57667163

'COVID cases in Finland linked to UEFA Euro 2020':-

Health authorities in Finland say about 300 people tested positive for the coronavirus after returning from Russia, where they watched matches of the Euro 2020

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20210629_20/

« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 06:02:56 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Dave McCoy

• "Don't you know who I am?!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • 11,053ft up
« Reply #3488 on: June 30, 2021, 07:59:13 pm »
Unfortunately i can see that becoming a meme

Here in the US it's been all over already.  Pretty hilarious.

^ I think it already is just a matter of time mate.

'1,300 Scotland fans who travelled to London later tested positive for Covid':-

Scottish data shows almost 2,000 cases among people who attended Euro 2020 football events

www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/jun/30/younger-male-euro-2020-fans-driving-covid-rise-in-scotland & www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-57667163

'COVID cases in Finland linked to UEFA Euro 2020':-

Health authorities in Finland say about 300 people tested positive for the coronavirus after returning from Russia, where they watched matches of the Euro 2020

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20210629_20/

I don't think this is surprising.  What would be good to know is out of these how many had been vaccinated and with what?  I can't believe these are all Delta variant breakthroughs so more than likely they weren't vaccinated.

Edit: Picks for the next round
Swiss v Spain
Belgium v Italy
Czech v Denmark
Ukraine v England
« Last Edit: June 30, 2021, 08:01:10 pm by Dave McCoy »

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #3489 on: July 1, 2021, 01:08:23 pm »
I think the Czechs will find a way past Denmark. That has no basis in squad quality or anything, just one of those strange gut feelings tournament football gives you.

England will beat Ukraine whilst making heavy weather of it, Spain will go through Switzerland with ease and Mancini will outthink the Belgian brain-trust headed up by Martinez, a man more famous for the colour of his shoes than his actual management ability. It'll be tight but Italy will find a way.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3490 on: July 1, 2021, 02:34:39 pm »
Would be the most England thing ever to now lose to Ukraine. :D

It's fine for fans to get carried away but players can't. Thankfully, Southgate has the right attitude and will no doubt be hammering into the players that the win against Germany puts us in the quarter-final, not the final.

Offline Wullie160975

• Oor Wullie! Your Wullie! A'body's Wullie!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3491 on: July 1, 2021, 04:17:35 pm »
It wouldn't surprise me if Switzerland found a way past Spain, to be honest.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #3492 on: July 1, 2021, 04:35:44 pm »
It wouldn't surprise me if Switzerland found a way past Spain, to be honest.
Spain have some really impressive attacking depth, if they get to extra time they have a lot of solutions from the bench and a lot of subs to make all those changes. The same could be said of England as well.

Switzerland do seem wilier than they have in the past though.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Sudden Death Draft Loser

• old and annoying
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3493 on: July 1, 2021, 04:42:33 pm »
Would be the most England thing ever to now lose to Ukraine. :D

;D

Hopefully.

Sadly I reckon England will batter them
"The greatest argument against democracy is to have a five minute conversation  with the average voter. "

Offline Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3494 on: July 1, 2021, 06:05:41 pm »
Spain have some really impressive attacking depth, if they get to extra time they have a lot of solutions from the bench and a lot of subs to make all those changes. The same could be said of England as well.

Switzerland do seem wilier than they have in the past though.
Spain looked vulnerable against Croatia. As you say, good depth in attack, lots of technically gifted players. Just think there is a weakness there for a brave and determined team to exploit. Switzerland were very good vs France at getting the ball in and around the box quickly, and Seferovic looks a handful in the air, so they're set up to give Spain a game.

I don't think there's a great team in this tournament. Teams like Switzerland will be thinking this could be their best chance to go all the way.
;D

Hopefully.

I think the most likely result is a 1 or 2-0 win for England, but you never know. I'm glad Ukraine won, though - England vs Sweden has been done to death! :P

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
« Reply #3495 on: July 1, 2021, 06:06:55 pm »
Denmark are dark horses!

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3496 on: July 1, 2021, 06:08:45 pm »
Denmark are dark horses!

Definitely. they beat England at Wembley last year aswell.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3497 on: July 1, 2021, 10:02:16 pm »
;D

Hopefully.

Seen nothing about the way Southgate has them playing to suggest they'll batter anyone. No-one will care if they win the tournament, but it's awful shithouse football.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3498 on: July 2, 2021, 07:53:52 am »
The match thread is also a full discussion thread now, so shall we contain it all in there?