Author Topic: Space exploration thread  (Read 212203 times)

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
Re: Space exploration thread
« Reply #2960 on: May 6, 2021, 07:49:17 pm »
As far as I know SpaceX are the only ones who can land them, but they also happen to be pretty good at launching them too!

I'm sure as things go forward they'll get better at landing with no fires.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #2961 on: May 6, 2021, 07:52:47 pm »
I wonder what they have planned for SN15? 

Recycle the bits? Museum piece?

“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2962 on: May 6, 2021, 07:55:23 pm »
They landed with two engines so maybe another launch and an attempt at landing with one?

Either that or Musk will blow it up just because he can ;D

Offline Red Berry

• Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2963 on: May 7, 2021, 08:22:32 am »
Scott Manley delves into SN15, and who here doesn't enjoy a nice bit of Scott Manley? :D

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/7IDMM63InLY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/7IDMM63InLY</a>

As a sidebar, whilst the protests against Space X winning the lunar contract is expected, I still find it distasteful. The other consortiums are complaining they weren't offered the chance to negotiate and reduce their price. Well, duh. How do you reduce costs without cutting corners? And if you can, then why were the costs so high in the first place? Did their bids offer various iterations of their designs for a range of cost projections? It would seem not.

Space X is out there, doing the work, and you can visibly see the technology coming together. That's partly why Musk does it this way. They don't have to resort to guesswork when it comes to costing, not at this stage at least.

Does starship fly with a mass simulator or are they still just concentrating on teaching it to fly?
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2964 on: May 7, 2021, 01:43:17 pm »
Musk has said this

Might try to refly SN15 soon

How exciting!!
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2965 on: May 7, 2021, 01:56:11 pm »
Oh that is exciting! Wonder if they'll change anything like the height the fly to?

Offline Red Berry

• Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2966 on: May 7, 2021, 02:00:11 pm »
They like to test the hardware till it breaks. It's a good way to measure the endurance and turnaround time of the technology. Plus, it'll be a few weeks yet till SN16 is ready to go, so it will give the enthusiasts something to chew on in the meantime.  :)

Popcorn's Art

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2967 on: May 7, 2021, 05:05:05 pm »
They like to test the hardware till it breaks. It's a good way to measure the endurance and turnaround time of the technology. Plus, it'll be a few weeks yet till SN16 is ready to go, so it will give the enthusiasts something to chew on in the meantime.  :)
SN16 looks nearly done to me….  If they leave it, it might just fall over.  Why take the chance?
W

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?!
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2968 on: May 7, 2021, 06:48:25 pm »
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline Red Berry

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2969 on: May 7, 2021, 09:26:01 pm »
SN16 looks nearly done to me….  If they leave it, it might just fall over.  Why take the chance?

Well according to Scott Manley, SN16 is still a couple of weeks away.  I'm presuming he's basing on what Space X have said.  And if there's talk of reflying SN15 then I imagine they'll do it pretty soon.  They've sent the crawler out to collect it, haven't they?

Popcorn's Art

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2970 on: May 14, 2021, 10:55:14 am »
https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/13/spacex-first-orbital-starship-rocket-flight-plan-revealed.html

This is exciting!

Also don't know when SN15 is due to fly next but I know the landing legs were pretty much destroyed from seeing pictures. Anyone have any news?

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2971 on: May 14, 2021, 01:23:15 pm »
Starship will deorbit over the pacific just in case it breaks up on rentry!

What fun
W

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2972 on: May 14, 2021, 05:27:53 pm »
SN15 is on the launch pad ;D

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #2973 on: May 15, 2021, 05:19:56 am »
The Chinese rover Zhurong successfully landed on Mars:
https://www.dw.com/en/chinas-zhurong-mars-rover-lands-successfully/a-57538426

As much as I hate the Chinese political policies and influences in the world, I must admit that this is a great achievement for them. Yet, it's somehow difficult to enjoy their success, much like the the Abu Dhabi FC winning the PL... I belong to the generation that celebrated as kids the USSR's Venus missions success when others were failing, and I get to understand more about that now in my 50s, but success is a success. There are still a lot of data that only the Russians have... I'm conflicted...
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2974 on: May 21, 2021, 09:50:44 pm »
Engines are being removed from SN15 at the moment. Imagine they'll put new ones in for flight number 2?

Online farawayred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2975 on: May 22, 2021, 03:15:46 am »
Engines are being removed from SN15 at the moment. Imagine they'll put new ones in for flight number 2?
What prompted that, do you know? Seems unusual. Though there was a leak somewhere after landing, maybe that was the cause?

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2976 on: May 22, 2021, 07:27:17 am »
I'm guessing for a closer inspection and to test 3 new raptor engines?

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2977 on: May 26, 2021, 03:28:59 pm »
SN15 being removed from the launch pad, doesn't look like it'll fly again :(

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2978 on: May 29, 2021, 10:02:37 am »
Looks like work is concentrated on the launch tower for now….

Will SN16 be the one to go for orbital flight?  I thought it was pencilled in to be SN20.  I don’t think there’s any chance they do that in July though….

Can't wait for my next starship launch….
W

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2979 on: May 29, 2021, 10:20:19 am »
Elon did post a photo on Super Heavy and SN16 next to each other the other day so it could happen. It might make sense to see how SN16 deals with re-entry so they can make the necessary upgrades for SN20 as well. I just need another launch haha

Offline Red Berry

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2980 on: May 30, 2021, 08:41:18 pm »
Scot Manley going into some details about the Mars drone.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/uo5RwrcRCqg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/uo5RwrcRCqg</a>

Popcorn's Art

Online farawayred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2981 on: June 2, 2021, 11:19:00 pm »
NASA Selects 2 Missions to Study ‘Lost Habitable’ World of Venus:
https://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/nasa-selects-2-missions-to-study-lost-habitable-world-of-venus

I'm screwed; the Cupid's Arrow mission now has little to no chance to get funded... But a very good day for Venusians otherwise.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #2982 on: June 3, 2021, 06:39:02 pm »
So SpaceX have just launched a brand new Falcon 9 and usually you don't get to see the landing because the signal cuts out but it looks like they've solved that now! They keep improving things and keeping it interesting.

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2983 on: June 3, 2021, 08:01:29 pm »
Super heavy test tank will be tested soon and has rolled out today.

Now that will be a bloody sight when it first flies
W

Online farawayred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2984 on: June 4, 2021, 02:30:01 am »
SpaceX’s 22nd Commercial Resupply Mission to Space Station Launches Water Bears, Squid, Solar Panels:
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/station/research/news/spacex-22-research-highlights

Baby squid nah-nah-nah-nah... (OK, it's not baby shark)