Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 278957 times)

Offline zero zero

• Karma's a bitch. Innit.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #2400 on: April 24, 2021, 11:45:13 am »
wild liverpool - it's more than just a busy bustling metropolitan city full of e-scooters, students and duck-billed platy-lasses
Great term :D Happy hunting

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #2401 on: April 24, 2021, 03:37:44 pm »
Driving back to Yorkshire yesterday morning on the M60 south of Manchester there was a green parakeet flew across Infront of me 😁

I got ambushed by a goldfinch on my bike, he barely flew over my handlebars.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2402 on: April 24, 2021, 04:19:44 pm »
I got ambushed by a goldfinch on my bike, he barely flew over my handlebars.  ;D

Oh no 😂

When it flew out I thought it was a green woodpecker, it was only when it turned and I saw it side on I realised what it was.

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #2403 on: April 26, 2021, 05:19:55 pm »
Had a few new visitors to ours in the last two weeks. Greenfinches, Goldfinches, and just now, a Bullfinch, which I’ve never seen before. Surprising how there’s quite a lot of the first two about but you don’t often see them. All loving the white sunflower hearts.

Offline butchersdog

• Scouse Tiger.....grrrr :)
  • Kopite
« Reply #2404 on: April 26, 2021, 05:32:41 pm »
Just seen a Siskin too. Thought it was another Goldfinch but had a black crown and finer bill.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2405 on: April 26, 2021, 08:07:54 pm »
Just seen a Siskin too. Thought it was another Goldfinch but had a black crown and finer bill.

The siskins are gorgeous, my sister gets loads where she is in Derbyshire.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2406 on: April 26, 2021, 08:46:52 pm »
Our swifts are back!
Every year since we moved here they have come to nest in our roof - always a delight.
Will attempt some photos but they are hard to capture.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2407 on: April 29, 2021, 12:55:08 pm »
And we have a mallard nesting in the garden.  Thankfully she's well tucked away from the dogs finding out she's there but I'm sure if the weasels still around her eggs won't last long 😟

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2408 on: May 7, 2021, 11:40:50 am »
Do crows eat other birds? Always thought they just ate what they could scavenge but just seen one dropping something smaller onto the road, it then flew into a tree with it and looks to be plucking out all the feathers before tucking in.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2409 on: May 7, 2021, 03:06:25 pm »
We saw two blackbirds fighting off a crow in mid air the other week but later on saw the crow on the roof with what looked like a small chick - tugging at it like you see birds of prey do. Had a squirrel charging along the fence with a mouthful of something that looked a bit like a chick too.

It's a god damn jungle out there.   :(

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2410 on: May 7, 2021, 07:28:38 pm »
Do crows eat other birds?
Yep, and Magpies do mate, mostly injured or very young.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2411 on: May 7, 2021, 07:34:56 pm »
A Collard Dove must be nesting in the vicinity. Every few hours one chases a maggy all over the gaff. They're smaller than Maggies but fucking hell they're happy to have a good go :)

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #2412 on: May 7, 2021, 07:38:26 pm »
Yep, and Magpies do mate, mostly injured or very young.

No wonder they are called a Murder of Crows.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Millie

• Athens Airport Queen. Dude, never mind my car, where's my hand sanitiser?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • IFWT
« Reply #2413 on: May 7, 2021, 07:40:06 pm »
We've got moorhens nesting in the large pond over the road from our house.  I just hope the chicks survive this year.  They didn't last year.

Also on another pond at the top of the road are loads of ducklings.
"If you can't say anything nice, don't say nothing at all"  Thumper (1942)

Justice for the 96

I'm a Believer

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2414 on: May 7, 2021, 09:47:33 pm »
I saw a Robin feeding a chick in the garden the other day. The mass influx of Starling chicks haven't arrived as yet, but can't be far off now.

Lots of birds raiding the bird feeders and taking food off to nests nearby.

We saw a few Coot chicks with their parents in the park the other day, but I was a bit concerned for them as a large turtle was on the surface eyeing them up.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2415 on: May 13, 2021, 03:55:17 pm »
Pair of blackbirds currently hopping around our garden with their fledgling in tow. They are absolutely prolific at hunting worms. Every five hops or so they're ripping one out of the ground and feeding it to the fledgling.

The fledgling it actually fatter than its mother now which is quite something really.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2416 on: May 13, 2021, 04:36:55 pm »
I was driving through Blundellsands earlier and had to stop the car in the middle of the road because of two Blackbirds that were there and wouldn't budge.

Both males, so maybe they were squaring up and neither wanted top back down.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2417 on: May 13, 2021, 05:55:19 pm »
https://vimeo.com/548858787
I swear it stopped and looked at me halfway through, but then thought 'fuck it' and carried on anyway.  :)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2418 on: May 14, 2021, 07:57:25 am »
I am worrying about my Blackbirds, they've obviously got eggs in the nest but the local magpie is giving them a torrid time and they are just constantly upset and screaming alarm calls all hours of the day. I really dislike magpies.  :butt

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2419 on: May 14, 2021, 08:27:16 am »
I am worrying about my Blackbirds, they've obviously got eggs in the nest but the local magpie is giving them a torrid time and they are just constantly upset and screaming alarm calls all hours of the day. I really dislike magpies.  :butt

Get an air rifle, Magpie problem solved.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2420 on: May 14, 2021, 08:29:18 am »
Get an air rifle, Magpie problem solved.

Not sure I could do that.  :(

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2421 on: May 14, 2021, 08:42:19 am »

It's a tough one isn't it but it's nature unfortunately. 

Offline .adam

• .asking .for .trouble .for .arson .around .in .Sweden
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2422 on: May 14, 2021, 09:25:34 am »
Pair of blackbirds currently hopping around our garden with their fledgling in tow. They are absolutely prolific at hunting worms. Every five hops or so they're ripping one out of the ground and feeding it to the fledgling.

The fledgling it actually fatter than its mother now which is quite something really.

Two fledglings in tow today!

EDIT: Three!

All three looking pretty plump. I've seen the father feeding two of them but not the third. Wonder if it's a hanger-on.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 09:28:34 am by .adam »

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #2423 on: May 14, 2021, 09:47:27 am »
got up early earlier this week on my birthday and looked out the back doors and suddenly wham bam friggin female sparrowhawk flies in and takes out one of our juvenile blackbirds

pretty gruesome as she plucked him on the lawn right in front of me

but pretty special to see that happen too
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2424 on: May 14, 2021, 10:21:51 am »
got up early earlier this week on my birthday and looked out the back doors and suddenly wham bam friggin female sparrowhawk flies in and takes out one of our juvenile blackbirds

"Nature, red in tooth and claw..."

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2425 on: May 14, 2021, 10:33:55 am »

It is brutal when you see it, I've seen a Sparrowhawk do the same to a wood pigeon in my garden.

The death of one baby gives life to another baby.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2426 on: May 14, 2021, 10:32:03 pm »
Put simply, Magpies are twats Jill. Hopefully the Blackbird "shrills" (mad noise isn't it) will deter them a bit. But do your best to chase them as well.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2427 on: May 15, 2021, 08:24:21 am »
The predation of song birds by Magpies, is something that needs to be addressed nationally. The Corvid population has multiplied as they are birds of opportunity and like rats and foxes have, have prospered with human waste and the development of suburban housing. Simply put, they need culling or we'll lose the songbirds, who, are having a tough enough time of it as it is, with the catastrophic fall in the insect population due to human pesticide campaigns.

Shoot them Jill, you're doing all songbirds a massive favour.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2428 on: May 15, 2021, 09:10:55 am »
I don't know whether they still do it but years ago the RSPB would come out and set up traps to catch them, then release them elsewhere if they were causing problems.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2429 on: May 15, 2021, 10:22:46 am »
I don't know whether they still do it but years ago the RSPB would come out and set up traps to catch them, then release them elsewhere if they were causing problems.

My uncle used to use someone who would be slightly less humane! But because they’re quite territorial I think they are quite easy to trap aren’t they (not suggesting Jill fashions her own!)?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2021, 10:31:10 am by BIG DICK NICK »

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2430 on: May 15, 2021, 11:24:37 am »
My uncle used to use someone who would be slightly less humane! But because they’re quite territorial I think they are quite easy to trap aren’t they (not suggesting Jill fashions her own!)?

Yeah I've heard of that method and yes you're right they're easy to trap.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2431 on: May 15, 2021, 12:54:34 pm »
It is upsetting to see crows and magpies eating eggs and chicks but from my limited research the control of corvids has a minimal impact on the numbers of more 'desirable' garden species.

The largest threat to birds is probably the removal of habitat and green corridors - often as a result of unsympathetic development and changes in agricultural practices. As well as availability of insects and other food sources this can result in songbirds settling for suboptimal nesting sites which are more vulnerable to attack.

Corvids seem to have adapted more readily to environmental changes than many other species so their numbers do seem to have increased. However removing one predatory species is likely to result in the increased success of another - cats, rats, squirrels, sparrowhawks etc. so we should only fiddle about with the delicate balance where it can be supported by evidence.

The RSPB is not my favourite organisation but I think they are right when it comes to magpies and crows. In general research indicates that corvids are not adversely affecting garden bird populations and while site specific control may be justified in some cases, trapping and shooting under the general licence* on the evidence available is questionable.

*Culling under GL40 is only allowed if alternative lawful methods have been considered
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wild-birds-licence-to-kill-or-take-for-conservation-purposes-gl40/gl40-general-licence-to-kill-or-take-certain-species-of-wild-birds-to-conserve-endangered-wild-birds-or-flora-and-fauna

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2432 on: May 15, 2021, 01:25:28 pm »
Put simply, Magpies are twats Jill. Hopefully the Blackbird "shrills" (mad noise isn't it) will deter them a bit. But do your best to chase them as well.

Believe me John, I do, I must look like a barbarian to my neighbours when I run out of the back door waving my hands about.  ;D

I'm not sure I could ever shoot any wildlife, to be honest as it's how nature is. Tooth and claw as they say. It seems a bit quieter today though, but then its been raining mostly maybe the Magpies are bit more deterred today.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2433 on: May 16, 2021, 09:09:29 am »
It is upsetting to see crows and magpies eating eggs and chicks but from my limited research the control of corvids has a minimal impact on the numbers of more 'desirable' garden species.

The largest threat to birds is probably the removal of habitat and green corridors - often as a result of unsympathetic development and changes in agricultural practices. As well as availability of insects and other food sources this can result in songbirds settling for suboptimal nesting sites which are more vulnerable to attack.

Corvids seem to have adapted more readily to environmental changes than many other species so their numbers do seem to have increased. However removing one predatory species is likely to result in the increased success of another - cats, rats, squirrels, sparrowhawks etc. so we should only fiddle about with the delicate balance where it can be supported by evidence.

The RSPB is not my favourite organisation but I think they are right when it comes to magpies and crows. In general research indicates that corvids are not adversely affecting garden bird populations and while site specific control may be justified in some cases, trapping and shooting under the general licence* on the evidence available is questionable.

*Culling under GL40 is only allowed if alternative lawful methods have been considered
https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/wild-birds-licence-to-kill-or-take-for-conservation-purposes-gl40/gl40-general-licence-to-kill-or-take-certain-species-of-wild-birds-to-conserve-endangered-wild-birds-or-flora-and-fauna

The problem with that assumption, is that it looks at the situation in isolation, for me its  a - One pair, square area how much impact on songbirds, finger in the air guess.
From my house I have/had 5 nesting pairs  of Magpies that are meticulously picking away at the songbirds nests, or they once were.

The guidance allows them to be culled and directly relating to songbird protection. These guidelines are there to be adhered to and followed, of course, but if this was say a rat infestation and predation of the same with say, badgers, or foxes, we would be discussing this right now as an active campaign by DEFRA to eradicate these animals. Magpies/Corvids don't seem to have that impact.

I get the save the hedgerow campaigns and support them, however, with intensive farming being the root cause and up against big business, the Linnet, the Dunnock, The Bullfinch, sadly doesn't stand a chance.

@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline Slippers

• atennerandwesaynomoreyeah?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2434 on: May 16, 2021, 09:15:53 am »
Believe me John, I do, I must look like a barbarian to my neighbours when I run out of the back door waving my hands about.  ;D

I'm not sure I could ever shoot any wildlife, to be honest as it's how nature is. Tooth and claw as they say. It seems a bit quieter today though, but then its been raining mostly maybe the Magpies are bit more deterred today.

I fire one of those Super Soaker water guns at the buggers.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2435 on: May 16, 2021, 10:04:59 am »
I fire one of those Super Soaker water guns at the buggers.

Strangely enough, I had an old water pistol my nephews used to play with that I've used from time to time.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2436 on: May 16, 2021, 12:15:02 pm »
The problem with that assumption, is that it looks at the situation in isolation, for me its  a - One pair, square area how much impact on songbirds, finger in the air guess.
From my house I have/had 5 nesting pairs  of Magpies that are meticulously picking away at the songbirds nests, or they once were.

The guidance allows them to be culled and directly relating to songbird protection. These guidelines are there to be adhered to and followed, of course, but if this was say a rat infestation and predation of the same with say, badgers, or foxes, we would be discussing this right now as an active campaign by DEFRA to eradicate these animals. Magpies/Corvids don't seem to have that impact.

I get the save the hedgerow campaigns and support them, however, with intensive farming being the root cause and up against big business, the Linnet, the Dunnock, The Bullfinch, sadly doesn't stand a chance.
I think we are largely on the same page here.

I skimmed a couple of scientific papers, a report on a meta study and a PhD thesis and while I would not claim that my search was in anyway comprehensive, the rules are based on a bit more than an assumption.  The BTO study was from 2010 but was based on 40 years of data from 200 sites (https://www.bto.org/about-bto/press-releases/are-predators-blame-songbird-declines).

The evidence on corvid pressure on overall populations of songbirds is currently weak which is why they are not considered a pest species or 'vermin' like rats. This seems to me to be a good thing as is stops the 'open season', wholesale persecution of a species without just cause.

Where there is a specific threat to birds on red and amber lists, as you say is the case on your own patch, the general licence GL40 may well apply and would permit control by prescribed means, but anyone carrying out such actions should be clear about what is allowed and how they might evidence compliance if challenged.

I raised this partly because I think there is a risk of demonising species uneccessarily (pursuing ill-conceived policies will not aid the wildlife), but also because I wouldn't want any of the bird lovers in this thread to find themselves in trouble because they assumed that killing crows and magpies is allowed in any circumstance. Chasing them out of the garden with foul language and water pistols is one thing (I have done this myself), but I think it is worth checking carefully what the law allows before considering trapping, shooting, destroying nests etc.

Offline Komic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2437 on: May 23, 2021, 03:31:30 pm »

Managed to snap a Great Tit that was flying back and forth from it's nest in the hollow of the tree.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #2438 on: May 27, 2021, 03:54:26 pm »
3 birds from my travels around liverpool

grey heron - little egret - common tern

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2439 on: May 27, 2021, 04:42:54 pm »
My GT's have fledged. Its a happy moment and I'm pleased as punch. Only cost me about £12 in mealworm to help them out due to such a woeful spring and a considerable lack of insect food to provision the chicks with.