Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 282671 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #2440 on: May 27, 2021, 08:14:47 pm »
Some fantastic photographs guys.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #2441 on: May 31, 2021, 11:08:48 pm »
We were watching a Barn Owl hunting this afternoon over the marshes at Gayton. Amazing birds.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2442 on: June 5, 2021, 11:30:44 am »
Got crows constantly squawking at each other from dawn til dusk at the moment. So annoying. Are they just fighting over territory?

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2443 on: June 5, 2021, 11:35:33 am »
Got crows constantly squawking at each other from dawn til dusk at the moment. So annoying. Are they just fighting over territory?

What are they saying?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB3ruxchwaY
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2444 on: June 5, 2021, 12:02:46 pm »
We were watching a Barn Owl hunting this afternoon over the marshes at Gayton. Amazing birds.

Aww, I love Gayton you get to see so many owls and birds of prey there, what time where you out? We saw a little owl hunting around 4pm, we literally barely saw him until he took this vole off the ground and then disappeared as quickly as he appeared.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2445 on: June 5, 2021, 12:57:51 pm »
Aww, I love Gayton you get to see so many owls and birds of prey there, what time where you out? We saw a little owl hunting around 4pm, we literally barely saw him until he took this vole off the ground and then disappeared as quickly as he appeared.
Yes, it's lovely down there. It must have been around 4:30pm or so that we saw the Owl. I wasn't expecting that at all, but s/he flew past us a few times before disappearing in the direction of Parkgate.

I also saw another bird of prey dive down into the marsh but don't know what it was. I just glanced to my right and saw it in a dive. It stayed on the ground, so I didn't see it take off again.

We were only out for the drive really, but will go back with a picnic and the binoculars next time so we can see things a bit better.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2446 on: June 5, 2021, 01:25:43 pm »
Saw a couple of woodpigeons on the next door roof the other night going through the courtship routine, looked like they were actually kissing at one point before he jumped on her and gave her the best 5 seconds of her life.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2447 on: June 5, 2021, 01:55:57 pm »
Mandarin Duck in Calderstones Park.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #2448 on: June 5, 2021, 04:39:04 pm »
^ one of my favourite birds - look at that male's plumage - beautiful

there were a couple of them in sefton park a year or so back and i couldn't believe the amount of people just walking past them not giving them a second glance

i was a giddy as a little girlie

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2449 on: June 5, 2021, 05:02:48 pm »
Saw a couple of woodpigeons on the next door roof the other night going through the courtship routine, looked like they were actually kissing at one point before he jumped on her and gave her the best 5 seconds of her life.

Funny that. I was talking to the very same Wood Pigeon this morning, and he said he got his technique from watching you.  ;)

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2450 on: June 5, 2021, 05:08:37 pm »
^ one of my favourite birds - look at that male's plumage - beautiful

there were a couple of them in sefton park a year or so back and i couldn't believe the amount of people just walking past them not giving them a second glance

Mandarin ducks are so beautiful, aren't they.

One year there was a lone female in Sefton Park. Nowhere near as striking as the male, but still really nice in her own right. Another year there was a lone male, and he was a show stopper.

There was a male Gadwall in the park over the past month, although I didn't see him on Tuesday when I was in there. He was making a real nuisance of himself, chasing after the female Mallards. It was like a Benny Hill sketch.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2451 on: June 5, 2021, 05:15:43 pm »
Mandarin ducks are so beautiful, aren't they.

One year there was a lone female in Sefton Park. Nowhere near as striking as the male, but still really nice in her own right. Another year there was a lone male, and he was a show stopper.

There was a male Gadwall in the park over the past month, although I didn't see him on Tuesday when I was in there. He was making a real nuisance of himself, chasing after the female Mallards. It was like a Benny Hill sketch.

you could fill out a good bird list at sefton park deffo

and on the previous subject of woodies getting it on...

here's 2 canoodling on our fence a few weeks back - shameful behviour

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2452 on: June 5, 2021, 05:25:40 pm »
Our local kessy has just dived and got some prey which it's now devouring on a fence post.

Ooh it's back up again, maybe this will be taken back to the best rather than feeding itself!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2453 on: June 5, 2021, 05:25:46 pm »
Exactly mate, last time I saw it was about 10 years ago.
Everyone just walking past, I was with my 19 year old daughter who was horrified when I enthusiastically hopped over the railings for a better snap. Then everyone is taking an interest and getting their phones out :)

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2454 on: June 5, 2021, 05:32:56 pm »
Our local kessy has just dived and got some prey which it's now devouring on a fence post.

Ooh it's back up again, maybe this will be taken back to the best rather than feeding itself!

I saw a Kestrel hovering over the farm fields behind Hall Road East in Blundellsands the other day. That's the first one I've spotted in ages.

There used to be lots of them around, but they seem to have declined such a lot. Now, I see Sparrowhawks fairly regularly, but in the past you'd never see those when I was growing up. These days they are always trying to snatch birds off the feeder in my Mum's garden.  :o

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2455 on: June 5, 2021, 05:33:37 pm »
you could fill out a good bird list at sefton park deffo

and on the previous subject of woodies getting it on...

here's 2 canoodling on our fence a few weeks back - shameful behviour

They seem well loved up.  :-*

Lovely stuff.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2456 on: June 5, 2021, 05:39:06 pm »
I saw a Kestrel hovering over the farm fields behind Hall Road East in Blundellsands the other day. That's the first one I've spotted in ages.

There used to be lots of them around, but they seem to have declined such a lot. Now, I see Sparrowhawks fairly regularly, but in the past you'd never see those when I was growing up. These days they are always trying to snatch birds off the feeder in my Mum's garden.  :o

As with barn owls a lot of traditional nest sites are or have been taken over by grey squirrels, pigeons and doves so the kestrels are being forced out, unable to breed and numbers are plummeting.

Even nest boxes being put up by conservation groups to help them are being used by other species.

It's nice to have them here though I don't know for how long as buzzards and sparrowhawk's are everywhere.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2457 on: June 5, 2021, 05:42:18 pm »
As with barn owls a lot of traditional nest sites are or have been taken over by grey squirrels, pigeons and doves so the kestrels are being forced out, unable to breed and numbers are plummeting.

Even nest boxes being put up by conservation groups to help them are being used by other species.

It's nice to have them here though I don't know for how long as buzzards and sparrowhawk's are everywhere.
It's such a shame. The Kestrel is an amazing little bird.

They had slow motion footage on Springwatch of one hovering the other night.

Wings and tail going like the clappers, but head absolutely perfectly still and eyes scanning everything. Superb!

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2458 on: June 5, 2021, 05:48:22 pm »
It's such a shame. The Kestrel is an amazing little bird.

They had slow motion footage on Springwatch of one hovering the other night.

Wings and tail going like the clappers, but head absolutely perfectly still and eyes scanning everything. Superb!

Yeah saw that mate but did you see the battle between the mother kessy and the male hobby that got in her nest box after the chicks.

She was having none of it and eventually killed the hobby!

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2459 on: June 5, 2021, 05:53:41 pm »
Yeah saw that mate but did you see the battle between the mother kessy and the male hobby that got in her nest box after the chicks.

She was having none of it and eventually killed the hobby!
Wow, no, I must have missed that.  :o

Talking of birds fighting. Last Monday on a quiet road in Heswall I had to stop the car because two Robins were kicking each others heads in in the middle of the road.  :o

Yesterday I went to do some work on my Mum's back garden and I found a dead chick on the lawn. Totally bald, so must have been taken from a nest and dropped.

I gave the little guy a decent burial.  :-\

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2460 on: June 5, 2021, 05:58:54 pm »

Talking of birds fighting. Last Monday on a quiet road in Heswall I had to stop the car because two Robins were kicking each others heads in in the middle of the road.  :o

Yesterday I went to do some work on my Mum's back garden and I found a dead chick on the lawn. Totally bald, so must have been taken from a nest and dropped.

If a baby dies in the nest the mother will bring it out and place it on the floor nearby. Our resident blue tits did it last year.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2461 on: June 5, 2021, 06:06:13 pm »
If a baby dies in the nest the mother will bring it out and place it on the floor nearby. Our resident blue tits did it last year.
Thanks. That sort of crossed my mind too. I know there are a number of House Sparrows nesting close by, and Blue Tits possibly nearby too. Maybe that's the case, as you suggest.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2462 on: June 5, 2021, 06:19:04 pm »

Nature's brutal mate and robins will fight to the death to protect their territory.

I was surprised springwatch showed the kessy v hobby murder though as they normally annoy the hell out of me for being too lovey and presenting as though we're too precious to see the gruesome bits.

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2463 on: June 5, 2021, 06:25:17 pm »
Nature's brutal mate and robins will fight to the death to protect their territory.

I was surprised springwatch showed the kessy v hobby murder though as they normally annoy the hell out of me for being too lovey and presenting as though we're too precious to see the gruesome bits.

It certainly is.

I think it was an eye-opener for Mrs Spion because I've often mentioned to her how vicious Robins can be with each other at times. She's only really seen them looking cute in the garden or on Christmas cards. I think she was a bit surprised by these two battering each other like that.

That's the second time this summer I've had to stop the car due to birds fighting in the middle of the road. The first time it was two male Blackbirds.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2464 on: June 5, 2021, 06:29:45 pm »
It certainly is.

I think it was an eye-opener for Mrs Spion because I've often mentioned to her how vicious Robins can be with each other at times. She's only really seen them looking cute in the garden or on Christmas cards. I think she was a bit surprised by these two battering each other like that.

That's the second time this summer I've had to stop the car due to birds fighting in the middle of the road. The first time it was two male Blackbirds.

They must be sitting in wait for you mate 😜

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2465 on: June 6, 2021, 02:19:38 pm »
Some great photos and stories everyone. Those Mandarin Ducks photos are gorgeous, they look so beautiful with those bright colours. Looking at liverbloke's canoodling Woodies reminds me of the local Doves last year. One minute we had a couple of them the next time I looked I had ten Doves all lined up on my fence waiting to be fed! I've never seen so many Doves in my lives before.

The robins fight sounds scary, I remember a friend finding a dead robin in their garden and her husband who works for the RSPB swore that was a result of a territory fight. It's well known their fights can be vicious and often to the death of one of them. Speaking again of robin my sister has one which follows her everywhere now, literally feeding it from the hand.

I'm also pleased to see people are still getting sightings of Kestrels, last few times I've gone to Parkgate not seen any sightings of Kestrel's though plenty of Hen Harriers and Peregrine's. I'd be interested to know if that could perhaps be the reason the Kestrel's numbers seem lower at this time, if they are higher numbers of other birds of prey who are in competition with other species?

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2466 on: June 6, 2021, 02:30:39 pm »
On that last point Jill, birds of prey don't tend to impact each others numbers as their prey items and habitat are fairly breed specific.

Yes they will occasionally predate the young of other birds but that's more opportunist or desperation rather than a regular occurrence.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2467 on: June 6, 2021, 03:09:54 pm »
On that last point Jill, birds of prey don't tend to impact each others numbers as their prey items and habitat are fairly breed specific.

Yes they will occasionally predate the young of other birds but that's more opportunist or desperation rather than a regular occurrence.

Thanks Debs, I wasn't sure. I'm used to seeing a number of Kestrels around and about but haven't seen as many recently. But its good to know you're still seeing some.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2468 on: June 6, 2021, 03:16:15 pm »
Thanks Debs, I wasn't sure. I'm used to seeing a number of Kestrels around and about but haven't seen as many recently. But its good to know you're still seeing some.

Their numbers are declining rapidly Jill due mainly to habitat loss and wet spring weather making hunting harder when there's young to feed.

Offline Red Raw

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klopptimistic
« Reply #2469 on: June 6, 2021, 03:33:19 pm »
Owl baby from my old feller's back garden last week.  :)

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2470 on: June 6, 2021, 04:38:32 pm »

Baby tawny owl.  They look so sweet and fluffy but their tallons are deadly even at that age 😳

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2471 on: June 6, 2021, 05:14:28 pm »
^
Great Owl. So cute. 😄

I saw a Sparrowhawk fly over earlier with an unfortunate victim in his/her claws.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2472 on: June 6, 2021, 06:58:26 pm »

So sweet. 😀

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2473 on: June 6, 2021, 07:17:30 pm »

Looks young. Must have been when he was managing in Sweden.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2474 on: June 6, 2021, 09:06:38 pm »

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2475 on: June 7, 2021, 09:28:33 am »
forgot to tell you guys that i photographed my first cetti's warbler a few weeks back in lunt

they are notorious for being heard and not seen - or just too damned quick to photograph

took about 5 quick photos and this one worked out best

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2476 on: June 7, 2021, 01:12:14 pm »
forgot to tell you guys that i photographed my first cetti's warbler a few weeks back in lunt

they are notorious for being heard and not seen - or just too damned quick to photograph

took about 5 quick photos and this one worked out best

What a brilliant photo, he's a cutie. I love warblers.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #2477 on: June 7, 2021, 01:19:36 pm »
Lovely thread this.

When I was a kid I had a bird book which explained that Kites were down to single figures in the UK and living exclusively in Snowdonia. One just swooped down at the back of the house a minute or so ago. Not on Snowdonia but in the centre of Oxford. For many years now there have been loads of Kites on the M40 between Ox and London, but to see them in the centre of the city is amazing to me.

"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2478 on: June 7, 2021, 02:12:02 pm »
Lovely thread this.

When I was a kid I had a bird book which explained that Kites were down to single figures in the UK and living exclusively in Snowdonia. One just swooped down at the back of the house a minute or so ago. Not on Snowdonia but in the centre of Oxford. For many years now there have been loads of Kites on the M40 between Ox and London, but to see them in the centre of the city is amazing to me.

Red kites have been one of the most successful reintroduction programmes here in the UK.

I see them quite often on my travels.

Offline rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2479 on: June 7, 2021, 03:57:01 pm »
Lovely thread this.

Did you get to see the white tailed sea eagle when it was hanging about down there? I saw it the once when I was going down the A34, near Cowley.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA