Author Topic: Bird watch  (Read 282609 times)

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
Re: Bird watch
« Reply #2280 on: February 8, 2021, 07:00:10 pm »
yeh with greenfinches i only seem to see a couple a year

buzzards are much more common but they're awesome birds and we're lucky to have so many

the way they soar so elegantly - i need to get some decent photos of them
It's a shame about the decline of the Greeny. 😞

Ah yes, Buzzards are brilliant. I love seeing them about.
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Not Arsed
« Reply #2281 on: February 8, 2021, 07:15:49 pm »
House sparrows starting to build a nest in the inside corner of the house, between 2 walls and drain pipe. Collard doves sussing out the flat tree stump and the Great tits sizing up the bird box again. Woodies will take their time and them fuck it up on 38 twigs in the Wysteriea. Doesn't feel like it, but spring is almost upon us. 
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.
Martin Kenneth Wild - Part of a family

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2282 on: February 8, 2021, 07:27:58 pm »
House sparrows starting to build a nest in the inside corner of the house, between 2 walls and drain pipe. Collard doves sussing out the flat tree stump and the Great tits sizing up the bird box again. Woodies will take their time and them fuck it up on 38 twigs in the Wysteriea. Doesn't feel like it, but spring is almost upon us. 

Don’t forget your ‘special treat’ you save for the magpies !

Offline CHOPPER

• Bad Tranny with a Chopper. Hello John gotta new Mitre? I'm Jim Davidson in disguise. Undercover Cop (Grammar Division). Does Louis Spence. Well. A giga-c*nt worth of nothing in particular. Hodgson apologist. Astronomical cock. Hug Jacket Distributor
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2283 on: February 8, 2021, 07:49:03 pm »
Don’t forget your ‘special treat’ you save for the magpies !

Currently in the process of picking a PCP 'say hello to my little friend' kind of present for them and the crows.

Its funny as well, as now the House sparrows that got had off by them are now nesting right next to the house, just like the WP's.

Its a good thing I am doing here.
@ Veinticinco de Mayo The way you talk to other users on this forum is something you should be ashamed of as someone who is suppose to be representing the site.

Offline Lad

• Legacy Fan
  • Press your space face close to mine love.
« Reply #2284 on: February 9, 2021, 03:04:56 pm »
Currently in the process of picking a PCP 'say hello to my little friend' kind of present for them and the crows.

Its funny as well, as now the House sparrows that got had off by them are now nesting right next to the house, just like the WP's.

Its a good thing I am doing here.

My missus says ‘you can’t pick and choose the birds you have in the garden’ usually just after I go apeshit when the crows steam in and demolish food I’ve put down for the little robin that hangs around here.

Are you available for hire Chops ?

Online Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2285 on: February 9, 2021, 03:51:55 pm »
Squirrel proof feeders are also magpie and pigeon proof.

Don't mind magpies myself, highly intelligent birds they are.  Amazing watching them use tools.

I'd suggest domestic cats and dogs cause much more harm to birds than magpies.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2286 on: February 9, 2021, 07:18:39 pm »
My missus says ‘you can’t pick and choose the birds you have in the garden’ usually just after I go apeshit when the crows steam in and demolish food I’ve put down for the little robin that hangs around here.

Are you available for hire Chops ?

For you Lad, I'm free!

I'm in, man.

Offline CHOPPER

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2287 on: February 9, 2021, 07:22:50 pm »
Squirrel proof feeders are also magpie and pigeon proof.

Don't mind magpies myself, highly intelligent birds they are.  Amazing watching them use tools.

I'd suggest domestic cats and dogs cause much more harm to birds than magpies.

I've seen far too many long Tailed tits, sparrows, collard doves, wood pigeons, starlings, song thrushes - nests get had off, by them, to let the loss of any more smaller/song birds nests, go unchallenged. And as you say, they're clever, they don't come near the house, hence I think the other birds getting on to nesting closer to the house.

If you watch, magpies do the thinking and the working out and generally there is always a crow or two in the vicinity to gegg in and take the pickings.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2288 on: February 9, 2021, 07:27:18 pm »
The Buzzards were gliding today for the first time this year (that I've seen anyway). Usually the local Crows chase them but today it was the Seagulls, those fuckers don't even live round here :)

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #2289 on: February 13, 2021, 08:07:57 pm »

Just taped hand warmers to the hummingbird feeder and took into the garden. Before I could hang it "Nico" flew up and started drinking. I sat there for at least two minutes before he flew off to his perch. Now he is at the actual feeder position.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #2290 on: February 14, 2021, 05:57:28 am »

The weather is affecting the birds here. I am a two hour drive from the ocean. Yet, this little guy was in the yard until the dogs were let out.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #2291 on: February 15, 2021, 03:54:49 pm »
i got out last week and snapped a few shots - juvenile pied wagtail, kestrel and turnstone

Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2292 on: February 15, 2021, 03:55:15 pm »

Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2293 on: February 15, 2021, 07:29:50 pm »
Magnificent mate, I love those pics.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2294 on: February 16, 2021, 09:46:25 am »
cheers John - i was lucky with the light

the sun came out at the right times

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2295 on: February 17, 2021, 10:50:03 pm »
There was a nice little bird-related story in the papers this morning.

Former Liverpool FC player, Jimmy Case, is helping out an initiative to help Barn Owls find suitable nesting sites. He's been constructing Owl boxes at his home in Hampshire which will be sited there and also in Dorset and Wiltshire. The project is working with 100 farms and covers 100,000 acres of land.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1398987/jimmy-case-makes-barn-owl-boxes-retirement-football

Great stuff, Jimmy.  :)
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2296 on: February 18, 2021, 08:11:02 am »
There was a nice little bird-related story in the papers this morning.

Former Liverpool FC player, Jimmy Case, is helping out an initiative to help Barn Owls find suitable nesting sites. He's been constructing Owl boxes at his home in Hampshire which will be sited there and also in Dorset and Wiltshire. The project is working with 100 farms and covers 100,000 acres of land.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1398987/jimmy-case-makes-barn-owl-boxes-retirement-football

Great stuff, Jimmy.  :)

nice that - and don't forget spion that when lunt reopens - still flooded when i was last there (it is a natural flood plain for the alt) - there's always barn owls, short-eared owls and little owls to be seen hunting

i was cycling down the ttp when a barnie flew alongside me for about 10 feet - it was amazing and he even gave me a little look (most probably sizing me up)

Offline Son of Spion

• RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2297 on: February 18, 2021, 11:36:03 am »
nice that - and don't forget spion that when lunt reopens - still flooded when i was last there (it is a natural flood plain for the alt) - there's always barn owls, short-eared owls and little owls to be seen hunting

i was cycling down the ttp when a barnie flew alongside me for about 10 feet - it was amazing and he even gave me a little look (most probably sizing me up)
I had a similar cycling experience some years ago. I was riding from Litherland to Crosby, and as I rode down the bridge over the canal a Barn Owl flew right across my path at eyes height and only a few feet in front of me. I was well chuffed.

Last week I saw a friend of mine for the first time since Covid kicked in. We went for a walk on Rimrose Valley. There were a couple of photographers there but I couldn't see what they were looking at. Anyway, next day my friend sent me some photos she'd just seen posted on the internet of a Barn Owl, taken the day we were over there. Stunning pictures too.

I remember when we used to play football on Chaffers Fields, and we'd often see Short-Eared Owls hunting in the afternoon on Rimrose. I really hope they don't build that road through there, as it's a brilliant place for wildlife now.

Offline reddebs

• areddwarfis4lifenotjust4xmas
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2298 on: February 18, 2021, 12:52:48 pm »
I had a similar cycling experience some years ago. I was riding from Litherland to Crosby, and as I rode down the bridge over the canal a Barn Owl flew right across my path at eyes height and only a few feet in front of me. I was well chuffed.

Last week I saw a friend of mine for the first time since Covid kicked in. We went for a walk on Rimrose Valley. There were a couple of photographers there but I couldn't see what they were looking at. Anyway, next day my friend sent me some photos she'd just seen posted on the internet of a Barn Owl, taken the day we were over there. Stunning pictures too.

I remember when we used to play football on Chaffers Fields, and we'd often see Short-Eared Owls hunting in the afternoon on Rimrose. I really hope they don't build that road through there, as it's a brilliant place for wildlife now.
Sorry to be a pain but is there a way your friend could contact whoever put those pics of the barn owls on the internet and ask them to take them down please mate?

They're Schedule 1 protected animals so there whereabouts shouldn't be advertised, especially online, as there are still idiots who like to steel eggs.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2299 on: February 18, 2021, 01:38:21 pm »
Sorry to be a pain but is there a way your friend could contact whoever put those pics of the barn owls on the internet and ask them to take them down please mate?

They're Schedule 1 protected animals so there whereabouts shouldn't be advertised, especially online, as there are still idiots who like to steel eggs.

isn't that only if you post a direct location debs or photos of their eggs?

all the birders who go to lunt regularly post their barn owl photos on flickr hunting over the fields there (it's common knowledge) - and those guys wouldn't want anyone to harm or disturb the birds

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2300 on: February 18, 2021, 02:11:01 pm »
Got a load in our garden (from my limited knowledge of birds) I've seen (I think!)

Sparrows
Robins
Blackbirds
Magpies
Wood Pigeons
Little titchy things that I think might be some kind of tits
The odd seagulls that fly over, but never land
Some other birds that I'm going to plump for sparrows with
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2301 on: February 18, 2021, 02:56:46 pm »
Got a load in our garden (from my limited knowledge of birds) I've seen (I think!)

Sparrows
Robins
Blackbirds
Magpies
Wood Pigeons
Little titchy things that I think might be some kind of tits
The odd seagulls that fly over, but never land
Some other birds that I'm going to plump for sparrows with

they could be coal tits or great tits - or even not a tit but a wren

get a book mate and you'll soon start to tick them off - and before you know it you'll be hooked

you'll be lucky to have a seagull land in your garden - now on your roof yeh

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2302 on: February 18, 2021, 03:28:59 pm »
isn't that only if you post a direct location debs or photos of their eggs?

all the birders who go to lunt regularly post their barn owl photos on flickr hunting over the fields there (it's common knowledge) - and those guys wouldn't want anyone to harm or disturb the birds
It's anything that could help identify where their nest sites are mate.  As a schedule 1, if you're not qualified to monitor them, you shouldn't even be looking for their sites never mind taking photos.  In theory you shouldn't be actively looking for them.

They have a hunting area of around 3kms from the nest so it's not difficult to work out where that might be as their needs are so specific.

It's a tough call as we all love seeing them so if you know their habitat and are prepared to sit it out and wait for them to appear they aren't that difficult to spot so I do try to discourage anyone from posting up pics that can be seen or shared by the public.

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #2303 on: February 18, 2021, 05:35:07 pm »
This little beauty .

It comes and says hello to me whenever Iam standing by the cedarwood in the park.

He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2304 on: February 18, 2021, 05:37:50 pm »
Parakeets outside my window repeatedly today, they’re fixated by something in the brickwork I think.

I’m sure I can hear an owl some evenings. Never seen a one ‘in the wild’ but there’s some big trees and a bit of wasteland that is probably good for wildlife so I think I know roughly where it’s coming from.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2305 on: February 18, 2021, 06:11:13 pm »
This little beauty .

It comes and says hello to me whenever Iam standing by the cedarwood in the park.

kesey buy some live mealworms - they sell them at pet stores or petsathome for around £2 - and that little fella will eat them out of your hand

they're used to us gardening and therefore digging up worms and insects so they follow us hoping for something

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2306 on: February 18, 2021, 06:12:11 pm »
Parakeets outside my window repeatedly today, they’re fixated by something in the brickwork I think.

I’m sure I can hear an owl some evenings. Never seen a one ‘in the wild’ but there’s some big trees and a bit of wasteland that is probably good for wildlife so I think I know roughly where it’s coming from.

careful mate - they're notorious for getting into buildings so beware!

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2307 on: February 18, 2021, 06:14:23 pm »
It's anything that could help identify where their nest sites are mate.  As a schedule 1, if you're not qualified to monitor them, you shouldn't even be looking for their sites never mind taking photos.  In theory you shouldn't be actively looking for them.

They have a hunting area of around 3kms from the nest so it's not difficult to work out where that might be as their needs are so specific.

It's a tough call as we all love seeing them so if you know their habitat and are prepared to sit it out and wait for them to appear they aren't that difficult to spot so I do try to discourage anyone from posting up pics that can be seen or shared by the public.

the birders down at lunt quite happily tell you where the birds are nesting - even to the public just walking around the reserve with their dogs!

i know a few places but i keep schtum - i wouldn't even upload a robin's nest  ;)

Offline kesey

• Hippy - Scally - Taoist - Rafiki - Dad - Trichotomist. Hill Climber, David Cassidy Fan Club
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth , Love and Simplicity ♡
« Reply #2308 on: February 18, 2021, 06:36:04 pm »
kesey buy some live mealworms - they sell them at pet stores or petsathome for around £2 - and that little fella will eat them out of your hand

they're used to us gardening and therefore digging up worms and insects so they follow us hoping for something

Nice one . That will be something I will look forward to.
He who sees himself in all beings and all beings in himself loses all fear.

- The Upanishads.

The heart knows the way. Run in that direction

- Rumi

You are held . You are loved . You are seen  - Some wise fella .

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2309 on: February 18, 2021, 06:38:03 pm »
the birders down at lunt quite happily tell you where the birds are nesting - even to the public just walking around the reserve with their dogs!

i know a few places but i keep schtum - i wouldn't even upload a robin's nest  ;)
Maybe they don't realise they shouldn't be blabbing about it so if possible try and educate them on the subject please. 

If they're genuine birders they'll listen.

Offline liverbloke

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2310 on: February 19, 2021, 08:20:10 am »
Maybe they don't realise they shouldn't be blabbing about it so if possible try and educate them on the subject please. 

If they're genuine birders they'll listen.

i will  :)

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2311 on: February 19, 2021, 08:43:19 am »
i will  :)
[emoji106]

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #2312 on: February 19, 2021, 09:19:07 am »
This little beauty .

Cracking photo that :)

I've seen a couple in our garden this week as well
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2313 on: February 28, 2021, 06:08:58 pm »
There was a bat flying over the garden at 2.00pm in the bright sun today. Anyone ever seen a bat out in the day like that?

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2314 on: February 28, 2021, 06:32:27 pm »
There was a bat flying over the garden at 2.00pm in the bright sun today. Anyone ever seen a bat out in the day like that?

I've not no, but googling about says they sometimes will be seen as they come out of hibernation and start to hunt to build up their reserves
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2315 on: February 28, 2021, 11:02:17 pm »
I've not no, but googling about says they sometimes will be seen as they come out of hibernation and start to hunt to build up their reserves
That could be the explanation Rob. I'm very much an outside person, spent a lot of my youth in Wales, and I've never seen a bat on a sunny afternoon. But yep, first signs of Spring aye.
Ta mate.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2316 on: March 3, 2021, 05:05:44 pm »
Been meaning to find this out for over 20 years.  Now is the time.

Was in hospital after a serious car accident in Feb 2000.  As i started to recover around Easter time, I remember hearing a particular bird call through the hospital window.

Every year at this time and up until Easter, I hear the same bird call and think back.  I heard it again this morning.  Its quite a basic call I'd say and just one quite high pitched note of a 2 or 3 seconds tops.

I have just listened to a load of common bird calls on the RSPB website but nothing sounds familiar.

So my question is - What birds or songs would we expect or associate with this time of year?  Will try and record the call tomorrow morning if I hear it again

cheers.

Offline reddebs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2317 on: March 3, 2021, 05:19:48 pm »
Been meaning to find this out for over 20 years.  Now is the time.

Was in hospital after a serious car accident in Feb 2000.  As i started to recover around Easter time, I remember hearing a particular bird call through the hospital window.

Every year at this time and up until Easter, I hear the same bird call and think back.  I heard it again this morning.  Its quite a basic call I'd say and just one quite high pitched note of a 2 or 3 seconds tops.

I have just listened to a load of common bird calls on the RSPB website but nothing sounds familiar.

So my question is - What birds or songs would we expect or associate with this time of year?  Will try and record the call tomorrow morning if I hear it again

cheers.

If it's a varied call with different pitches and melodies as well as the one you describe it could be a thrush.

They're very vocal at this time of year, more so than any other time of year.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2318 on: March 3, 2021, 05:28:43 pm »
If it's a varied call with different pitches and melodies as well as the one you describe it could be a thrush.

They're very vocal at this time of year, more so than any other time of year.

As you said the Thrush has a really varied call (Just listened to it on tube)

Nah don't think I'm hearing a Thrush.  Its just one note as far as I can tell.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #2319 on: March 3, 2021, 05:30:19 pm »
Was it an Angel calling to you Pete?