Author Topic: Unemployed Rawkites  (Read 252875 times)

Offline CheshireDave

• quite apt, as he's from Gloucestershire and his name's Norman
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Unemployed Rawkites
« Reply #200 on: July 1, 2009, 03:20:12 pm »
This might be a very silly question to some people but I've never signed on before, apart from the last month or so. I've been offered a new job and start on Monday, my signing on day is this Friday coming, do I still do that as per normal and just tell the guy there that I've found a job now? If so, will I still recieve my money as I usually do a few days later. Obviously I'll not be getting paid for another month so it'd be handy

I am pretty sure your dole stops the day before you start work.

Example - You start you're new job on the 10th July. You can claim up till the 9th.

I wouldn’t bother not telling them either because they always seem to remember and cross reference. I got a letter saying I owed them money back even though it was their error, so basically I told them to take a running jump.
Fuckin' 'Ell It's Fred Titmus

Offline shelovesyou

• andyouknow youshouldbe glad OOOOOOH!!!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #201 on: July 1, 2009, 03:59:33 pm »
Yep CheshireDave is right , they will pay you up until the day before you start work , depending on how long you have been on the Dole they may help you with some cash to see you through I believe . Ask them because they wont volunteer the info.
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #202 on: July 1, 2009, 11:28:05 pm »
Thanks for your help lads. I'll see what they say.

Offline jason42

• .....aka jason23
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • THE REAL TRUTH- "Liverpool fans were not to blame"
« Reply #203 on: July 2, 2009, 08:33:43 pm »
Been unemployed for over 12 months now and out of work for 2 years 8 months  :o

I am finally (fingers crossed) getting my operation on the 13th of July, I will need another 3ish months after that to fully recover and then I shall be fit for work for the first time in about 3 years, just hope I can find a job straight away :D

Similar sort of thing to you Lo.

I have been off sick since the end of January 2006. I was initially sacked but on appeal I was re-instated and put on a career break for up to 5 years.
However my consultant seems to think my illness will NEVER go away nor improve and I guess I am stuck with it. I was doing well with the job and just about due for a promotion of sorts whereas now I am pretty much fucked.
Quote from: macca888 link=topic=276522
Came to this thread a bit late, but from what I've read, the real relationship trouble is not between you and your girl, but between you and a small box of Tampax. You obviously need something more substantial in your life like a huge Costco sized box of jam rags, seeing as you're such a massive fucking quim

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #204 on: July 6, 2009, 12:14:25 pm »
I feel like a fucking joke this morning.

I'm technically what you'd call self-employed and getting assistance from the dole while I set up my business but being honest, the business isn't making a fuckin penny at the moment and I've lost so much faith in it and myself that I'd just love (I can't believe I'm going to say this), a simple 9-5 job. So basically, I'm unemployed and have been for over 2 years while I've been setting up this (what feels like a charade) of a business.

I'm sick to the back teeth of it, even though I've put a fair bit of money and hard work getting it up and running. I've also done quite a few award courses for starting your own business which has given me all the basic knowledge in business admin etc. I've just had all the enthusiasm and get up n' go finally sucked out of me at this stage.

Fuck it though, I've applied to go to college in September but that's gonna cost a mint. I'm feeling pretty positive about that however, 'cause I'd be studying in a field that interests me greatly. Going to college funnily though, will make me feel like an even bigger failure regards the business.

While all my friends are living in their own houses and being able to afford to do what they fancy (within reason) I'm living in me Mam and Da's and have to scrounge all week in able to have a Friday night out and a few cans on a saturday. I'm 29 FFS, and have pretty much lived away or travelled since I was 20. It's a fucker not knowing where the next few quid are coming from and not being able to plan for stuff is annoying. Atleast I'm trying to keep meself busy in anyway I can. Helping out round the place, trying to keep fit etc. This situation definately isn't good for the psyche though. I'd do anything at the moment to be digging a trench, stacking bricks or on the end of a wheelbarrow. Anything for that matter.

Anyway, that's my rant over. Just had to get that off my chest. Cheers.

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: July 6, 2009, 02:16:34 pm »
That's a hard spot to be in, but at least you're taking positive steps, so that's one thing at least.

In some ways I can relate. It's now just a few days shy of a year since I last had a job (with only a few weeks of temping in that year). I do have a job offer and am just waiting for them to get back to me with a start date etc, but it really does feel so frustrating how so many of my friends are getting on in life while i'm just stuck treading water for so long. I'm a few years younger than you (23) but I still feel the pain that life is passing me by.

The end is in sight, as long as there are no last minute hitches (which i'm terrified of), but it's really not been easy. I've gone through so many ups and downs in the last few months emotionally and all I want now is to start getting somewhere, and hopefully this week I will know when that can start. It's a really great opportunity, not only career-wise, but lifestyle too (as there's a very strong chance i'll move out of home down to London afte a few months if everything goes to plan). And God, don't I need it.

Offline Kahuna{=}Berger

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Innovate, not imitate.
« Reply #206 on: July 6, 2009, 02:49:05 pm »
Best of luck mate. Sounds like you'll get it and you're probably just over-worrying that it might fall through. Could be the start of a whole new chapter for ya. A proper adventure like! :thumbup

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #207 on: July 6, 2009, 05:37:34 pm »
That's a hard spot to be in, but at least you're taking positive steps, so that's one thing at least.

In some ways I can relate. It's now just a few days shy of a year since I last had a job (with only a few weeks of temping in that year). I do have a job offer and am just waiting for them to get back to me with a start date etc, but it really does feel so frustrating how so many of my friends are getting on in life while i'm just stuck treading water for so long. I'm a few years younger than you (23) but I still feel the pain that life is passing me by.

The end is in sight, as long as there are no last minute hitches (which i'm terrified of), but it's really not been easy. I've gone through so many ups and downs in the last few months emotionally and all I want now is to start getting somewhere, and hopefully this week I will know when that can start. It's a really great opportunity, not only career-wise, but lifestyle too (as there's a very strong chance i'll move out of home down to London afte a few months if everything goes to plan). And God, don't I need it.

Hope you get it mate.

The moving out of home is a massive step in the right direction.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #208 on: July 6, 2009, 05:53:06 pm »
Thanks. As I say, they've told me i've been successful and it's just a case of references / security clearance and stuff coming through ok. I can't really think of any solid reason why it would break down, but it's just that if this falls through for some reason i'm right back to square one and i'd be absolutely distraught.

As for moving out... I hope I can. I've not properly gone through the numbers about how much I could afford to pay in rent etc, but I think it should be doable - especially as if I stay here, i'd have to pay rent to my parents (ok, not the market rate of course, but still a fair bit) and money for the commute and obviously the extra time that takes - i'm sure it'd work out quite similar financially either way, and of course the extra freedom and stuff which comes with it, which you can't put a price on.

Pretty much all my life is here and i've only got a couple of friends who live in London, but I can make new ones and more often than not i'm sick to death of Bedford anyway, so taking that step is probably for the best. Plus, it's only an hour away on the train anyway, so it's not as if I couldn't come home every now and again.

I emailed the HR people last week (because I thought they were due to get back to me last week) and they said things are ok but they won't hear back about the security stuff until next week (now this week), so there's nothing to suggest anything is wrong, but i'm just trying not to jinx it or bring any bad karma my way ;D

OK, this has turned into a bit of an epic post, but nevermind.

Offline ds2190

• Simon Cowell + Oswald Moseley's pernickety lovechild
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: July 6, 2009, 06:13:57 pm »
Where is it you're hoping to work mate? I'm waiting on exactly the same checks

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: July 6, 2009, 06:55:26 pm »
The Crown Prosecution Service. Not sure exactly where i'd be based in London, though.

Offline Waterloo Phil

• Cheeky bleeder. Thinks the mods are here to answer to his beck and call
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ya Get Me
« Reply #211 on: July 7, 2009, 04:58:29 pm »
anyone know of anywhere taking on at the minute ? been on job centre website

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #212 on: July 7, 2009, 05:17:28 pm »
anyone know of anywhere taking on at the minute ? been on job centre website

Im in the same boat as you now mate, just put me c.v around a few plumbing mercants, and gonna send it off to a few firms.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #213 on: July 7, 2009, 09:45:18 pm »
Am going to politely bow out of this thread for now - been offered a job today so really happy. Had a 2nd interview for it last week, involved having to do a presentation and must have done ok as they have offered me the upper end of the pay scale for the job as well. All good apart from being based in Slough!

Good luck to the rest of you

Offline Andy2006

• Legacy Fan
  • Telephone!
« Reply #214 on: July 7, 2009, 10:24:34 pm »
Decided to go to college as I am only 19 and gunna find myself a part-time job to tie me down in the city centre or something.

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #215 on: July 7, 2009, 11:30:12 pm »
Am going to politely bow out of this thread for now - been offered a job today so really happy. Had a 2nd interview for it last week, involved having to do a presentation and must have done ok as they have offered me the upper end of the pay scale for the job as well. All good apart from being based in Slough!

Good luck to the rest of you

Congrats to you mate , well done , good luck with it and lets hope we dont see you back in here anytime soon.  ;)
the easiest way for me to grow as a person is to surround myself with people smarter than I am

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #216 on: July 8, 2009, 07:41:01 pm »
Phew. They emailed me today to confirm that the security clearance and references etc have all gone through ok and I've got a probable start date :D Though they still don't know where i'll be based, but that's not something i'm too worried about. I'm just massively relieved the remaining stumbling block has gone.

Offline AndrewFitz22

• easily outfoxed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: July 8, 2009, 08:35:35 pm »
Congrads Crosby Nick....

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: July 8, 2009, 10:15:14 pm »
Start my new job at 10 in the morning. No doubt I'll be absolutely knackered as I'm not used to going to bed much before 2am after doing sod all for 3 months. Hopefully I'll get myself into a new routine quickly.

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #219 on: July 8, 2009, 11:35:37 pm »
Start my new job at 10 in the morning. No doubt I'll be absolutely knackered as I'm not used to going to bed much before 2am after doing sod all for 3 months. Hopefully I'll get myself into a new routine quickly.

Tell me about it ( the late nights )
Good luck with it mate.

Offline phonic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #220 on: July 8, 2009, 11:47:03 pm »
Tell me about it ( the late nights )
Good luck with it mate.

Cheers mate. It's horrible not having a proper sleep pattern. Working nights for a year didn't help me either!

Offline markay_stinkay

• Legacy Fan
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Bet £50, get £50 free
« Reply #221 on: July 10, 2009, 07:44:35 pm »
Nice one those who've got jobs this week.

I'm still waiting to hear back from two bookies. Very surprised I haven't heard back from one whose deadline was last Friday. I don't mean to be rude to the people that work there full-time, but I'm clearly too good to work there just behind the till so if I'm not even good enough for an interview, I'm astounded.

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: July 10, 2009, 09:22:58 pm »
It's all pretty much in place now, got my location and start date, just one or two things they need to get back to me about and then i'm set to start next monday. Awesome.

Offline Waterloo Phil

• Legacy Fan
  • Ya Get Me
« Reply #223 on: July 10, 2009, 09:24:36 pm »
started my new job beginning of june and i got fucked off today coz there doing no business :( fucking great

Offline markay_stinkay

• Legacy Fan
  • ☆☆☆☆☆☆
    • Bet £50, get £50 free
« Reply #224 on: July 10, 2009, 10:07:58 pm »
You in the plumbing trade aren't yer?

Me mate got laid off a couple of months ago and after being unable to find work, went self employed a couple of weeks ago. He's still doing it and has his missus and kid to support so I guess it's going ok!

Offline scouser4eva

• but is Eva4Scouser? Wants an old willy
  • Legacy Fan
  • " god wanted west ham to win but gerrard said no "
« Reply #225 on: July 10, 2009, 10:09:59 pm »
started my new job beginning of june and i got fucked off today coz there doing no business :( fucking great

Was that doing gas lad ?

Gonna get me Gas Safe and start on me own me.

Offline Waterloo Phil

• Legacy Fan
  • Ya Get Me
« Reply #226 on: July 12, 2009, 08:54:09 am »
You in the plumbing trade aren't yer?

Me mate got laid off a couple of months ago and after being unable to find work, went self employed a couple of weeks ago. He's still doing it and has his missus and kid to support so I guess it's going ok!

Yes i am mate but im only part qualified so i cant go on my own

Was that doing gas lad ?

Gonna get me Gas Safe and start on me own me.

where u gonna get the experience from ? and if u do take me on :) seriously 

Offline ds2190

• Simon Cowell + Oswald Moseley's pernickety lovechild
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: July 12, 2009, 11:55:38 am »
I'm starting a job at HM Treasury tomorrow morning :)

Offline shelovesyou

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Yes
« Reply #228 on: July 12, 2009, 02:32:50 pm »
I'm starting a job at HM Treasury tomorrow morning :)

Good luck mate .

Offline anfieldpurch

• Simple
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice for the 96!!
« Reply #229 on: July 13, 2009, 11:00:03 am »
Im looking for a junior accountancy position. I have applied for several jobs but no luck :( Am moving to Hucknall soon to be close to Nottingham as a big city means that i have more chance of a job.
Proud father to Riley James Lucas 16/3/17

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #230 on: July 13, 2009, 11:12:10 am »
A few big companies based in Nottingham mate so good luck: Boots, Capital One, Experian and a few others that I can't think of now. No harm in getting in touch with all of them and seeing if there's anything out there.

Offline Jebediah

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: July 13, 2009, 11:23:18 am »
We're hiring - just took on 3 new staff members.

Only catch is that you have to move to Israel.

Still, weather is nice...
An elevator can only go up and down, but a Wonkavator goes sideways and slantways and longways and backways and frontways and squareways and any other ways that you can think of...
Proud to be part of the LFC family

Offline Waterloo Phil

• Legacy Fan
  • Ya Get Me
« Reply #232 on: July 13, 2009, 11:41:31 am »
:(

Need a job :(

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #233 on: July 13, 2009, 11:42:00 am »
By the way, can anyone help with the following questions, I've been offered a job but start date is not until 12th August:

- If I inform them now that I have been offered the job can I still claim Jobseekers Allowance until the date I start work?
- They hold my P45 and I'll need that for when I start the new job - anyone know how quickly they usually return this to you?

Offline Waterloo Phil

• Legacy Fan
  • Ya Get Me
« Reply #234 on: July 13, 2009, 11:46:46 am »
By the way, can anyone help with the following questions, I've been offered a job but start date is not until 12th August:

- If I inform them now that I have been offered the job can I still claim Jobseekers Allowance until the date I start work?
- They hold my P45 and I'll need that for when I start the new job - anyone know how quickly they usually return this to you?

Dont know exactly for the first one but id imagine you can still claim, if not dont tell them

As for the second one theyll send it a few days after you start enough time for you to give it to your new employer for wages purposes anyway

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: July 13, 2009, 11:57:51 am »
I believe you can still claim. Not 100% certain, but if you look in the booklet thing you take with you to sign on, there's a section you need to fill in about when you return to work, and you put the last date in it that you're claiming JSA for, and they told me that's the day before you start your new job, not the day you have a firm offer.

You should ask when you next go in, but i'm pretty sure you'll still be allowed to claim.

Online Crosby Nick

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #236 on: July 13, 2009, 12:01:36 pm »
Cheers, thought it was worth asking cos payday at the new place is on the 28th of each month but the payrun is from the 15th so I basically won't get my first decent wage until the end of September so will be grateful for whatever I can get between now and then.

Offline Robert_B

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #237 on: July 13, 2009, 12:05:45 pm »
Yeah, i'm not 100% sure how it works but that's what i've been led to believe.

Also, my guy at the JC said they give you an extra £100 when you return to work.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #238 on: July 13, 2009, 02:04:59 pm »
You can claim Jobseekers until the day before you start work.

Offline Cusamano

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Natural Police
« Reply #239 on: July 13, 2009, 03:04:23 pm »
Im looking for a junior accountancy position. I have applied for several jobs but no luck :( Am moving to Hucknall soon to be close to Nottingham as a big city means that i have more chance of a job.

Accountant here.

Just checked your age and im guessing you have relatively little if no accountancy experience?

If thats the case, especially in this current climate your going to find it very hard.

There is like 25 applicants for every accounts assistant vacancy and many of these people will have a fair bit of experience behind them.

If I were you I would offer my services on a volunteer basis and work a part time job just to keep the money flowing in.
Wake up, will ya pal? If you're not inside, you're outside, OK? And I'm not talking a $400,000 a year working Wall Street stiff flying first class and being comfortable, I'm talking about liquid. Rich enough to have your own jet. Rich enough not to waste time. Fifty, a hundred million dollars buddy. A player. - Gordon Gekko