Author Topic: Spurs - Commiserations  (Read 1837649 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Re: Spurs - Commiserations
« Reply #25440 on: Yesterday at 03:15:24 pm »
This is a lesson in sounding out prospective candidates before sacking an incumbent.

Offline HeartAndSoul

• OneWillBurn
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RedOrDead
« Reply #25441 on: Yesterday at 03:16:33 pm »
Give it to Lamps  :-*

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
    • Davidlloydtools
« Reply #25442 on: Yesterday at 03:16:35 pm »
This is a lesson in sounding out prospective candidates before sacking an incumbent.

If this all Levy?  Is he such a bellend he's struggling to get anyone?

Offline Samie

• The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25443 on: Yesterday at 03:18:27 pm »
Those Gerrard shouts aren't far off now.  :D

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer. State of this profile. It’s like something you’d see on an Everton or Man Utd forum.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25444 on: Yesterday at 03:24:11 pm »

Often about timing with getting new mangers or coaches. So the timing may not have been great. But the ‘high end’ coaches who may have been available (like Nagelsmann for instance), would likely see a club who’s really good team of past few seasons was breaking up, either players leaving, or players getting older. The window of opportunity has gone for that team they had under Pochettino, so that means a lot of changes.  So it’s not an attractive job for such coaches, especially with a club saddled with a huge stadium debt, at time when a lot of clubs may be being extra careful financially.

Like Rafa said above, they needed to be sure of who it was they where after a long time ago.   

I honestly think Rafa Benitez would be a far better bet for them than some of the names being thrown around, or maybe Lucien Favre who’s been talking to Palace appaently. And yet again, throw that name out - Graham Potter.

"I’m pretty much used to nothing more in my life than to get up after a knock. Nothing has happened more often to me than this, so that’s no problem” - Jürgen Klopp

Offline rafathegaffa83

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #25445 on: Yesterday at 03:26:37 pm »

Sacking Mourinho without a replacement or at the very least a sound plan is on Levy.

Paratici probably deserves a significant portion of the blame over the current situation by dumping Fonseca once Gattuso was available. If they've got down to Lopetegui, it probably means some of the earlier candidates (ten Hag, Rangnick) aren't coming. It also likely indicates that few candidates actually find this job to be particularly appealing

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #25446 on: Yesterday at 03:46:28 pm »
BBC now running with the Lopetegui story, describing their rejected offer as 'dizzying.' They need a reality check - they've now approached what, 7 managers? (Nagelsmann, Rangnick, Pochettino, Conte, Fonseca, Gattuso, Lopetegui) Crazy. They need to identify a young, hungry coach, where they want a challenge and a rebuild with the chance to put their own stamp on it. Pay them a good wage and go for someone who wouldn't say no compared to their current position.

It sounds crazy, but they're nearing appointments such as Benitez and maybe even Stevie at this stage. I've never seen such a pathetic, protracted managerial pursuit in my whole life. Bobby Martinez mustn't have wowed Levy given he's not been properly approached but all of the above have.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25447 on: Yesterday at 04:27:11 pm »
The way they dumped Fonseca was terrible.  Just shows how much of a joke they have become.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #25448 on: Yesterday at 04:34:39 pm »
The way they dumped Fonseca was terrible.  Just shows how much of a joke they have become.
They probably don't even have the option to go back to him now, and have failed with two additional approaches in the meantime.

It's an actual travesty at the moment. I'd be beyond flabbergasted if I were a Spurs fan, this public circus flying round whilst the star man wants to leave, the stadium is still to be paid for and they're coming off the back of a massively deflating season.

Spurs fans seem to be vehemently against Potter, which puzzles me. Brighton fans don't seem massively keen on him either.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 04:36:26 pm by Drinks Sangria »
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline elsewhere

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25449 on: Yesterday at 04:59:23 pm »
At this speed, even Big Sam will turn them down

Offline Fromola

• Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #25450 on: Yesterday at 05:05:49 pm »
Should have gave it to Scotty Parker while they had the chance.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Jwils21

• Kopite
  • Up the Reds
« Reply #25451 on: Yesterday at 05:15:02 pm »
Apparently all of the prospective candidates have been asked "Would you still start your first choice centre forward in a major game if he'd been crocked for weeks and was only about 30% fit?"

They've all answered "Of fucking course not" so far which hasn't gone down well.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25452 on: Yesterday at 07:04:54 pm »
Apparently all of the prospective candidates have been asked "Would you still start your first choice centre forward in a major game if he'd been crocked for weeks and was only about 30% fit?"

They've all answered "Of fucking course not" so far which hasn't gone down well.
Whether to start Harry Kane in major games is not going to be an issue for the new manager. There's going to be no Harry Kane, and no major games.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25453 on: Yesterday at 07:17:58 pm »
BBC now running with the Lopetegui story, describing their rejected offer as 'dizzying.' They need a reality check - they've now approached what, 7 managers? (Nagelsmann, Rangnick, Pochettino, Conte, Fonseca, Gattuso, Lopetegui) Crazy. They need to identify a young, hungry coach, where they want a challenge and a rebuild with the chance to put their own stamp on it. Pay them a good wage and go for someone who wouldn't say no compared to their current position.

It sounds crazy, but they're nearing appointments such as Benitez and maybe even Stevie at this stage. I've never seen such a pathetic, protracted managerial pursuit in my whole life. Bobby Martinez mustn't have wowed Levy given he's not been properly approached but all of the above have.

Yep, me too. Everton's is pretty bad as well but they've been completely overshadowed by Tottenham.

What happens when there's no plan in place. I thought it was the wrong decision when they got rid of Pochettino but I can kind of understand why. Hiring Mourinho on the other hand, that was nothing other than Levy thinking 'look who I've hired' and 'he guarantees trophies' - most people could have seen that would go wrong except him and from the sounds of it, some Tottenham fans. Now they're left scrambling around looking for someone, anyone, without a thought of what they actually want from a Tottenham manager.

It's comical from our perspective, a little bit moreso after some Tottenham fans crowing about their team/club/stadium over the past few years.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Red Berry

• Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25454 on: Yesterday at 09:01:42 pm »

It's comical from our perspective, a little bit moreso after some Tottenham fans crowing about their team/club/stadium over the past few years.

After years of us struggling under Rafa, Owl, Kenny and Rodgers, where they were finishing above us, it gives me a great deal of pleasure to see how decisively we have leapfrogged them to win big silverware.

The only reason their shambolic managerial farce gets more attention than Everton's is because they're just a more media hyped club who have Sir Harry of Kane.  Truth is there's not a lot to choose from between the running of the two clubs right now.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #25455 on: Yesterday at 09:07:09 pm »
Whether to start Harry Kane in major games is not going to be an issue for the new manager. There's going to be no Harry Kane, and no major games.
;D

They're entering the post-new stadium wilderness years that Arsenal had.  Except that Arsenal's wilderness years were vastly more successful than Spurs' glory years.

Offline Red Berry

• Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #25456 on: Yesterday at 09:15:02 pm »
;D

They're entering the post-new stadium wilderness years that Arsenal had.  Except that Arsenal's wilderness years were vastly more successful than Spurs' glory years.

tbf to Spurs (I know, urgh), Arsenal had it fairly easy, with only us, United and Chelsea to deal with.  With City and Leicester now on the scene, it's little surprise how these two London clubs have bombed. Let's face it, neither of them are exactly run well, and don't have the spending ability of United to paper over the worse of the cracks.

Popcorn's Art

Offline PaulF

• -.-- -. .-- .-
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #25457 on: Yesterday at 10:23:43 pm »
After years of us struggling under Rafa, Owl, Kenny and Rodgers, where they were finishing above us, it gives me a great deal of pleasure to see how decisively we have leapfrogged them to win big silverware.

The only reason their shambolic managerial farce gets more attention than Everton's is because they're just a more media hyped club who have Sir Harry of Kane.  Truth is there's not a lot to choose from between the running of the two clubs right now.
One of them at least has a new stadium. True, they have the debt to go with it, but given its London location I'm sure it can be used for other events. The darts maybe. Eel eating contests.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Red Berry

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25458 on: Yesterday at 10:27:38 pm »
One of them at least has a new stadium. True, they have the debt to go with it, but given its London location I'm sure it can be used for other events. The darts maybe. Eel eating contests.

It's mad to think Everton's stadium could cost as much as Spurs', but they could never hope to charge the same prices, or to be the same kind of draw for events. And yet the Bitters still think it will give them a competitive edge.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Caligula?

• Mr Negativity here, I’m worried about... Everything. In no danger of saying anything positive about anyone or anything any time soon.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #25459 on: Yesterday at 10:39:44 pm »
They'll get Klinsmann won't they? Or probably approach Löw after the Euros.  ;D

The way it's going they'll get this guy

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 10:43:29 pm by Caligula? »

Offline Red Berry

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25460 on: Yesterday at 10:47:53 pm »
Remember when Tom Hicks flirted with the idea of jettisoning Rafa for Klinsmann?

Popcorn's Art