Author Topic: Star Wars Universe lastest news  (Read 371807 times)

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
Re: Star Wars Universe lastest news
« Reply #3480 on: January 5, 2022, 02:13:23 pm »
Was he ever really a villain though? Looked a lot meaner than his character portrays. After all he's just a simple man making his way in the universe.

He's absolutely set up as a villain in the OT.

Offline ianburns252

• RAWK Economist not the MP spelling and Crosby background differentiate
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Gentleman in the streets; freak in the spreadsheet
« Reply #3481 on: January 5, 2022, 02:28:15 pm »
Certainly when watching the OT back when I was young that was how I saw him.

When looking at it now, it seems more like he operates in the morally ambiguous middle ground where he is working what, in this universe, is a legitimate job and he is simply loyal to his contract.

He is in this series more of a tweener anyway - he is an honourable guy but would certainly not call him a good way. As the protagonist though I think he has been positioned as being "more good" than those he is up against, it is just that on the overall scale they are simply more devious/evil.

Online PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
« Reply #3482 on: January 5, 2022, 07:04:37 pm »
He's absolutely set up as a villain in the OT.
As is Vader. Until pretty much the final scenes of Rotj. A lot of SW seems to be about blurring good and bad. Life isnt simple.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #3483 on: January 5, 2022, 07:06:14 pm »
all bounty hunters were set up as "bad guys"

anyway I really enjoyed this week's episode.

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3484 on: January 5, 2022, 09:37:23 pm »
I think the idea is that the time he spends with the Tuskens changes him, and he becomes more about 'honour' and 'respect' than just being ruthless and out for himself.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pissing Manc "fans" off since 1999.
« Reply #3485 on: January 6, 2022, 05:16:03 am »
Definitely seeing the Tusken Raiders in a new light
"Jürgen Klopp is bringing Liverpool's 'fuck you' back. And I can't wait."

Offline kezzy

• Kopite
« Reply #3486 on: January 6, 2022, 07:52:00 am »
Thought The Book of Boba Fett was no different to The Mandalorian.  Same settings and same story with the Tusken  raiders.  I really enjoyed The Mandalorian after the shite that was the sequels but they need some new ideas.

I take that back.  I thought the second episode was excellent.  My bad.  😀

Offline OsirisMVZ

• Legacy Fan
  • Grew up with Houllier and Rafa teams
« Reply #3487 on: January 6, 2022, 09:03:36 am »
Yeah that was a great second ep. I love how comfortable the show is to have so many periods without dialogue.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3488 on: January 7, 2022, 09:16:49 pm »
Loved that second episode.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Online AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3489 on: January 7, 2022, 09:24:51 pm »
I haven’t watched either yet but I’m wondering who is the better character Mando or Boba?

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #3490 on: January 7, 2022, 09:27:44 pm »
Enjoyed the first episode, but it didn't exactly grab me and make me want to instantly watch the second.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3491 on: January 7, 2022, 09:30:22 pm »
I haven’t watched either yet but I’m wondering who is the better character Mando or Boba?

Boba is the badass we all expect him to be.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3492 on: January 7, 2022, 11:01:38 pm »
I'm preferring Mando so far. But I think it will change.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3493 on: January 7, 2022, 11:43:43 pm »
When Boba Fett was brought back in The Mandalorian I was hoping he was being brought in as a proper antagonist, full-on foil to Mando and an  absolute irredeemable bastard.

I wish they had done that.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3494 on: January 7, 2022, 11:44:19 pm »
The Mandalorian by a country mile.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #3495 on: January 7, 2022, 11:57:07 pm »
It's a slow burn so far. But the first 3 episodes of the Mandalorian were him walking around that desert planet and eventually winning an egg for some Jawas. It picked up. Besides, the early parts of pretty much all of Dave Filoni's Star Wars projects have had a lot of iffy moments and he's not yet failed to deliver.

Remember as well that this is just one piece in this new cross-linked Star Wars TV universe, that will probably see characters cross from Mandalorian, Boba Fett, Ahsoka and the New Republic Rangers series. Exciting times ahead!
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

~ Kenneth Williams, with whom I'm noddingly acquainted. Socially impressed?

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3496 on: January 9, 2022, 10:38:33 pm »
It’s not bad so far. Only thing bugging me is shouldn’t Boba in the flashback scenes be in his 30s? Temuera Morrison Is too old now for the timeline.

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #3497 on: January 10, 2022, 12:12:26 am »
It’s not bad so far. Only thing bugging me is shouldn’t Boba in the flashback scenes be in his 30s? Temuera Morrison Is too old now for the timeline.

The Sarlacc Pit ages you.

Offline wampa1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3498 on: January 10, 2022, 12:17:25 am »
My head canon says the Kaminoans couldn't get it quite right so Boba still has a bit of the clones premature aging in him.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2022, 12:19:02 am by wampa1 »

Offline voodoo ray

• Bng-bng, BNG-BNG-BNG, bng-bng, bng-bng.....Ooooh OOOOH ooooooooh AAAAAHHHHH ah-hah, yeah!
  • Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #3499 on: January 10, 2022, 12:19:59 am »

Fattens you up too.

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3500 on: January 10, 2022, 12:35:20 am »
Fattens you up too.

clearly ate stormtroopers to stay alive.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3501 on: January 10, 2022, 10:22:17 am »

Like the Transfer forum, with similar amounts of digestive juice.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3502 on: January 10, 2022, 01:30:31 pm »
Like the Transfer forum, with similar amounts of digestive juice.
I'd rather slowly digest for a thousand years than have to moderate the Transfer thread!

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3503 on: January 10, 2022, 10:37:19 pm »

Temuera Morrison is 61. I think Boba Fett should be early to mid forties, depending how far after the series is set after his escape from the Sarlacc.

As others have said, it will be a combination of premature ageing, plus what he endured in the Sarlacc pit. And we only have to look at Obi-Wan to see what the harsh Tatooine environment does to you over 20 years or so. ;)
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Rob Dylan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3504 on: January 10, 2022, 11:14:17 pm »
Temuera Morrison is 61. I think Boba Fett should be early to mid forties, depending how far after the series is set after his escape from the Sarlacc.

As others have said, it will be a combination of premature ageing, plus what he endured in the Sarlacc pit. And we only have to look at Obi-Wan to see what the harsh Tatooine environment does to you over 20 years or so. ;)

Looked it up and apparently he was 41 in ROTJ, and this series (other than the flashbacks) is set 5 years later.

Online lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3505 on: January 11, 2022, 02:33:17 pm »
Rogue One is an odd one, it works for me but it isn't one I will tend to rewatch for some reason. The missed potential might mean that a rewatch of Solo will disappoint you, a lot of interesting elements won't get any payoff in the future since Solo didn't do well at the boxoffice.

I thought TFA was the ideal way to kick off that new trilogy, had a balance of the familiar while introducing the new people, but the lack of a coherent plan for that trilogy as a whole was completely inexcusable, you had the 2nd director seemingly having little interest in building on that starting point and then you had the mess of the third that tried to do too much in tying things up and retconning some of the 2nd film at the same time.

TFA seemed great on first watch then on the 2nd watch you have an Admiral Akbar moment. Things just got progressively worse with each next instalment of the sequel trilogy.
Oscar Isaac sums up the state of the last one near the start. Not sure he was acting or just expressing his feelings at the state of the script.

Online lobsterboy

• Sworn enemy of crayfishgirl. Likes to draw spunking cocks n balls at sunday school
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3506 on: January 11, 2022, 02:39:25 pm »
Enjoyed the first couple of episodes although I had pretty low expectations.

Glad they showed him escaping from the sarlacc pit early because they couldn't just leave that up in the air and expect people to go along with it.

Think it's a bit silly and makes no sense that he's just suddenly a good guy now but I'm not bothered enough by that for it to ruin the show for me.

He isn't exactly a good guy though. He is taking over as a crime lord and demanding tribute (a protection racket)
Think he's supposed to be this bounty hunter/hired gun who has decided he is owed a seat at the top table. Possibly there is a redemption arc (via the Tusken raiders) but he has just robbed a train in the last episode and it wasn't even the Empires.

Offline Riquende

• Taking one for the team by giving one to a lucky mascot? Pix or stfu!! (Although is PC is from the 90s so you'll have to wait a while...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #3507 on: January 11, 2022, 03:22:09 pm »
TFA seemed great on first watch

The Force Awakens was an okay movie. I think if it had been followed up by two incredible sequels then it would be considered a worthy part of the canon... but I never found it greatin itself. I remember talking to a couple of casual SW fans in work afterwards and they couldn't get their heads round why I found it so lazy and underwhelming. I don't think you could make a more 'Star Wars by numbers' movie without going into the world of parody, except this time the whole thing feels like it's designed by commitee (a common sin with modern day big budget projects) rather than the original being the vision of one filmmaker.

I naturally rail against anything that makes the Star Wars setting feel smaller, and TFA made it feels positively tiny. Everything was just the same, a generation on. Rogue One gets brickbats from some quarters for including 'fan service' things from the original trilogy, but that just matches the setting. Here, the First Order are just the Empire still, in every conceivable way. They have fascist uniforms, fly around in Star Destroyers and TIE Fighters and deploy Stormtroopers and Walkers. The Resistance are even worse, just a slightly reskinned Rebel Alliance. And personally, the worst thing of all was JJ's inability to comprehend how space works (also on display in Star Trek) gave me the impression the whole thing was taking place in a small box or snow globe.

The major crimes of the sequel trilogy take place in the second and third installments, but there's so little of interest about how the Force Awakens kicked the whole thing off in the first place.
"The nicest thing about quotes is that they give us a nodding acquaintance with the originator which is often socially impressive."

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #3508 on: January 11, 2022, 03:24:41 pm »
he has just robbed a train in the last episode and it wasn't even the Empires.

It was controlled by the Pyke Syndicate though (common antagonists in the animated shows), notorious spice smugglers. It wasn't just the 8:15 mail train to Mos Eisley.

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3509 on: January 11, 2022, 03:26:13 pm »
TFA seemed great on first watch then on the 2nd watch you have an Admiral Akbar moment. Things just got progressively worse with each next instalment of the sequel trilogy.
Oscar Isaac sums up the state of the last one near the start. Not sure he was acting or just expressing his feelings at the state of the script.

Offline voodoo ray

• Legacy Fan
  • feck off
« Reply #3510 on: January 11, 2022, 04:48:54 pm »
The Force Awakens was an okay movie. I think if it had been followed up by two incredible sequels then it would be considered a worthy part of the canon... but I never found it greatin itself. I remember talking to a couple of casual SW fans in work afterwards and they couldn't get their heads round why I found it so lazy and underwhelming. I don't think you could make a more 'Star Wars by numbers' movie without going into the world of parody, except this time the whole thing feels like it's designed by commitee (a common sin with modern day big budget projects) rather than the original being the vision of one filmmaker.

I naturally rail against anything that makes the Star Wars setting feel smaller, and TFA made it feels positively tiny. Everything was just the same, a generation on. Rogue One gets brickbats from some quarters for including 'fan service' things from the original trilogy, but that just matches the setting. Here, the First Order are just the Empire still, in every conceivable way. They have fascist uniforms, fly around in Star Destroyers and TIE Fighters and deploy Stormtroopers and Walkers. The Resistance are even worse, just a slightly reskinned Rebel Alliance. And personally, the worst thing of all was JJ's inability to comprehend how space works (also on display in Star Trek) gave me the impression the whole thing was taking place in a small box or snow globe.

The major crimes of the sequel trilogy take place in the second and third installments, but there's so little of interest about how the Force Awakens kicked the whole thing off in the first place.

that was the main fundamental issue I had with the whole thing, how it just recycled everything that had been done before.

because of that however I'm not really that arsed about criticising everything else, other than the stupid forced comedy in TLJ which I hated.

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3511 on: January 11, 2022, 09:03:31 pm »
Does anyone know who decided the death star would basically be a ball with the hollowed out bit?
Is that something Lucas would have dreamt up, or would it be left to others.
I guess, the same with walker, tie fighters, x-wings. Though their name gives the look away.

Offline Riquende

• Legacy Fan
  • Μετρήστε με με μανία
« Reply #3512 on: January 11, 2022, 11:07:38 pm »
Does anyone know who decided the death star would basically be a ball with the hollowed out bit?

There are plenty of books and sources on all the design and production elements of the original trilogy. I do have quite a few, but they aren't at my current address to check. The broad answer for any of it is that the initial idea for a design could have come from a specific note in Lucas's script, or a sketch by someone like McQuarrie based on what it was supposed to do, or even someone involved in making the models (though this would be unlikely for the Death Star as the model was clearly made after the animation that shows the superlaser dish on the 'equator').

Online PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3513 on: January 11, 2022, 11:28:55 pm »
Cheers riquende.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3514 on: January 11, 2022, 11:57:22 pm »
He isn't exactly a good guy though. He is taking over as a crime lord and demanding tribute (a protection racket)
Think he's supposed to be this bounty hunter/hired gun who has decided he is owed a seat at the top table. Possibly there is a redemption arc (via the Tusken raiders) but he has just robbed a train in the last episode and it wasn't even the Empires.

It's the fringe. A bit like the movie Unforgiven, there are no actual good guys. Just bad and downright bad.

This series, I think is charting the path on how Boba Fett's near death experience has changed him. A loner by nature, the flashbacks show him having to he's more than his armour. Tatooine is a corrupt and dangerous planet; it will be interesting to see Fett's concept of peace and order.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Online oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #3515 on: January 12, 2022, 01:42:19 am »
I guess, the same with walker, tie fighters, x-wings. Though their name gives the look away.

It was Colin Cantwell who actually designed the Death Star - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe-9uh8XOyM (he really is a nice guy in real life too).

A longer read with multiple videos here - https://www.originalprop.com/blog/2014/11/13/colin-cantwell-video-interviews-star-wars-prototype-models-nasa

Colin Cantwell and Ralph McQuarrie both did many early designs - with the likes of Joe Johnston, Lorne Peterson, Phil Tippett adding to them and providing more designs later (with work also on the physical models too etc). Not forgetting contributions from the likes of John Stears, John Dykstra, Richard Edlund, Grant McCune, and Robert Blalack.

Special mention for John Mollo on the costumes - especially bringing the concept drawings to life. Another for Norman Reynolds and Roger Christian for the production set design & decoration - and also John Barry (who passed away during filming Empire). Ben Burtt for sounds, John Williams for score, the main editors, and so very many talented others too.

It really was lightning in a bottle.

This may be of some interest (I hope so, anyway) - https://originaltrilogy.com/topic/Original-Trilogy-Film-Crew-and-People-Behind-The-Scenes-Profiles-Info-and-Links-/id/70290

If you're looking for any further info then these are likely worth a read too...

From the Desk of Charles Lippincott (RIP) - http://therealcharleslippincott.blogspot.com/ is well worth a look at.

As is 'The Secret History of Star Wars' book by Michael Kaminiski - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Secret-History-Star-Wars/dp/0978465237

plus his two sites here - http://fd.noneinc.com/savestarwarscom/savestarwars.info/index.html & http://fd.noneinc.com/secrethistoryofstarwarscom/secrethistoryofstarwars.com/index.html

The three 'Making of' the Original Trilogy books by JW Rinzler are an insightful read too (with some quality images too).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 01:55:58 am by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Online ScouserAtHeart

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3516 on: January 12, 2022, 11:21:53 am »
Loved Episode 3

Hate that it's so short though, annoying.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #3517 on: January 12, 2022, 06:01:07 pm »
Loved Episode 3

Hate that it's so short though, annoying.

Has an actual UMM storyline started then?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3518 on: January 13, 2022, 09:34:17 am »
Has an actual UMM storyline started then?

I think so, kinda.:unsureface:

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3519 on: January 13, 2022, 10:03:49 am »
Spoiler
I think this episode showed the problem with the Tuskins and the storytelling around them. I mean, it's just really hard to give a shit about an indistinguishable group who don't have names.

Boba goes back to the camp and sees that it's destroyed but it's completely unclear whether all the Tuskins are dead or just some of them. What's supposed to be an emotional moment that's going to drive the main character forward didn't work because I spent the whole time squinting at the screen trying to work out which Tuskins we see dead.

Also, they've gone too far with Boba being a goodie now to the extent where he's just a bit of pussy, let's be honest. Had his arse handed to him in every episode so far to the point where it's becoming a bit unbelievable that anyone would follow him or respect him as a "crime boss". This week he nearly get's assassinated (again) and then let's the assassin go with "no hard feelings".

I enjoyed some of this week. Good to see another Rancor and I liked the Gen-Z gang although their speeder bikes were some of the worst designed things I've seen in Star Wars. Felt very prequelly.
[close]
« Last Edit: January 13, 2022, 10:05:32 am by Red Viper or RedViper87 please? Thanks x »