Author Topic: What Podcasts do you listen to?  (Read 152564 times)

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
Re: What Podcasts do you listen to?
« Reply #800 on: July 2, 2020, 05:33:58 pm »
Also, just listened loved Louis Therouxs grounded. I hope there are more of them.

Well with the exception of the KSI one. I had feared he would interview a YouTube and some point. There was very little content in there.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #801 on: July 15, 2020, 05:02:05 pm »
Followed a recommendation off here for 'I catch Killers'.

I am really not a fan of true crime but the one I listened to was totally not True Crime as I would describe it, but more of an interview with an ex Aussie outlaw biker. The interviewer is an ex cop. I looked up the ex cop and he has a pretty strong reputation.

If anyone enjoyed Sons of Anarchy, I found the interview really compelling.

Podcast : I catch killers
Episode : I was 15 walking around with a sawn off shotgun

Also, I'm still enjoying Dopey. The episodes are really long and I tend to fast forward to the interesting bits. It's all about booze and drug addiction and people telling their stories, often from people still using and has it's high and low moments. For anyone who has ever been near addiction it is pretty interesting.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #802 on: July 15, 2020, 05:08:15 pm »
Also, just listened loved Louis Therouxs grounded. I hope there are more of them.

Well with the exception of the KSI one. I had feared he would interview a YouTube and some point. There was very little content in there.

The Adam Buxton podcast with Joe Cornish was incredible. I have always enjoyed the Buxton ones as he has that certain vulnerability when he interviews people and total humility. I listened to the one with his best friend Joe Cornish yesterday and I am amazed he put it out as I felt you know he is crying when he talks about his mother. It will hit pretty hard with anyone who has lost a parent they loved.

I quite enjoyed the Theroux/KSI podcast just from the point of view of learning something about someone or something I know nothing about.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• You will always find him in the kitchen at parties (most likely alone in a corner with a half-empty glass of Tizer keeping his powder dry...)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #803 on: July 16, 2020, 11:54:58 am »
I quite enjoyed the Theroux/KSI podcast just from the point of view of learning something about someone or something I know nothing about.
Yeah I get that. It just wasn't for me.

I tell you what podcast I listened to recently which I had to turn off as it was the biggest pile of rubbish..Peter Crouchs. I gave a few of them a go. Its just 'bants'. Mindless drivel that doesn't go anywhere.

Only exception so far was Robbos and that's only because I was interested in what he had to say.
"Salahs in here......"

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #804 on: July 16, 2020, 04:35:22 pm »
Peter Crouch's was interesting for the first 18 months or so because it was quite fresh and he gave a lot of insight into a modern Premier League footballer's life, but after that it descended into self-referential catchphrases and 'banter.'

Tailenders went the same way, sadly.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #805 on: July 17, 2020, 09:06:23 am »
The Adam Buxton podcast with Joe Cornish was incredible. I have always enjoyed the Buxton ones as he has that certain vulnerability when he interviews people and total humility. I listened to the one with his best friend Joe Cornish yesterday and I am amazed he put it out as I felt you know he is crying when he talks about his mother. It will hit pretty hard with anyone who has lost a parent they loved.

Yep. Was excellent. Buxton is a very talented bloke but somehow, you feel, his vulnerability stands in his way. He's been successful, but youy feel as if he could have done more...especially when you consider how less talented folk have been very successful in comedy.

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #806 on: July 17, 2020, 09:06:59 am »
What Rhymes with Purple is fun. Basically all about language and words and etymology stuff!

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #807 on: July 17, 2020, 11:58:28 am »
Listening to Winds of Change. A fascinating inisght into covert CIA ops and how they supposedly wrote that awful song as a form of psy-ops.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #808 on: July 18, 2020, 09:01:38 am »
I've been meaning to mention The Bunker for a while. It's a daily 30 min show about a specific news topic delivered by the Remainiacs podcast team.
One of the main contributors Dorian Lynsky is a big Red also.
Always informative,deffo worth a look.
https://play.acast.com/s/the-bunker
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-bunker/id1496246490

Online Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #809 on: July 18, 2020, 09:38:59 am »
I've been meaning to mention The Bunker for a while. It's a daily 30 min show about a specific news topic delivered by the Remainiacs podcast team.
One of the main contributors Dorian Lynsky is a big Red also.
Always informative,deffo worth a look.
https://play.acast.com/s/the-bunker
https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-bunker/id1496246490

Its Andrew Harrison that is a big red isn't it? Maybe Lynsky is as well.

Also a fan of The Bunker here.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #810 on: July 18, 2020, 02:06:07 pm »

I tell you what podcast I listened to recently which I had to turn off as it was the biggest pile of rubbish..Peter Crouchs. I gave a few of them a go. Its just 'bants'. Mindless drivel that doesn't go anywhere.

Couldn’t agree more. The interesting insights into crouch’s professional football life replaced with lad based banter nonsense of no significance.

Offline tinner777

• give me some sugar
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #811 on: July 18, 2020, 02:22:47 pm »
Gossipmongers is funny

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #812 on: July 19, 2020, 03:52:02 pm »
Couldn’t agree more. The interesting insights into crouch’s professional football life replaced with lad based banter nonsense of no significance.

It's a real shame. I guess the numbers have shown the shows that are more "banter" type get more downloads

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #813 on: July 19, 2020, 10:25:38 pm »
Agree with everyone else, the Adam Buxton podcast is consistently good. The recent episode with Joe Cornish in particular.

Also agree on the Crouch shouts. It's definitely changed for the worse.

Offline Fabulous_aurelio

• Legacy Fan
  • Well Red.
« Reply #814 on: July 19, 2020, 11:38:43 pm »
Started listening to Rob Beckett and Josh Widdicombes pod cast about parenting. It's so, now so funny. Im not a parent but it's still a very good listen!
"Salahs in here......"

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
Great new Footie podcast
« Reply #815 on: July 20, 2020, 04:36:00 pm »
Apologies if this is breaching any RAWK rules but my brother-in-law is a TV presenter in the US who has used the last few month to develop a podcast series.

I'm obviously biased but as a football fan I think it's absolutely brilliant as it's very relaxed and asks some of the questions that you've always wanted to.

First episode was with Christian Vieri and then the second with Robbie Keane where he talks about going to Wolves rather than Liverpool at 16.

Robbie Keane:

https://youtu.be/rIVKxyOZFg8
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/kickin-off-with-kevin-egan/id1521313099

Christian Vieri - I think you forget what an amzing journey he's had. Great interview too (I know I'm biased on this front) but they used to work together and so its a really honest and straight chat. Very cool.

https://youtu.be/DN-C7s7VmIM

« Last Edit: July 20, 2020, 04:39:31 pm by Byrneand »
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Great new Footie podcast
« Reply #816 on: July 20, 2020, 05:28:04 pm »
Apologies if this is breaching any RAWK rules but my brother-in-law is a TV presenter in the US who has used the last few month to develop a podcast series.

I'm obviously biased but as a football fan I think it's absolutely brilliant as it's very relaxed and asks some of the questions that you've always wanted to.

First episode was with Christian Vieri and then the second with Robbie Keane where he talks about going to Wolves rather than Liverpool at 16.

Robbie Keane:

https://youtu.be/rIVKxyOZFg8
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/kickin-off-with-kevin-egan/id1521313099

Christian Vieri - I think you forget what an amzing journey he's had. Great interview too (I know I'm biased on this front) but they used to work together and so its a really honest and straight chat. Very cool.

https://youtu.be/DN-C7s7VmIM
Sounds interesting. Will give it a listen. Is he a red?

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
Re: Great new Footie podcast
« Reply #817 on: July 21, 2020, 12:48:03 am »
He grew up in Dublin and is a mad Villa fan (up and down the leagues) and grew up during the 90s when they had all the Irish players with the likes of Staunton, Houghton and McGrath etc.

Kev absolutely lives and breaths footy but is really a big fan of the game in general irrespective of the team (with obvious exceptions of course). He's been in the US for the last decade and is a TV presenter out there for the likes of CNN and Fox. He previously did a 3-year stint at BeIN where he did a nightly show predominantly on La Liga and Seria A where they had the rights. He also does the pitch side analysis for Atlanta United in the MLS.. so basically is living the dream watching footie from around the world all day and getting paid for the privilege. Nicest guy you'd meet too.. so all round a bit of a win when it comes to brother-in-laws to have a beer with.

Obviously with all the footie being off the TV for a while, rather than twiddling his thumbs he put a few calls in and made this really good podcast series that's super relaxed but asks some of the questions I (as a fan would want to ask).

This is the type of stuff he does for the day job:

https://www.cnn.com/videos/tv/2019/08/29/breaking-down-the-2019-uefa-champions-league-group-stage-draw.cnn

If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #818 on: August 1, 2020, 07:55:18 pm »
Slate magazine have a loads of great and interesting podcasts out daily, there's something in there for everyone.
https://slate.com/podcasts

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #819 on: August 4, 2020, 03:21:04 am »
Looks like the new one from the Serial producers ‘Nice White Parents’ is only available on subscription services like Spotify.

The introductory episode is amazing. The premise is staggering. Loads of ‘nice white parents’ wanted a school about to be moved from a mostly African American area to an area in between so their white children could attend a multi ethnic school. The school location is moved. Then, every single white parent who spoke up at a school board meeting then sent their child to a more white majority school. The African American kids then had a longer bus journey for no reason. The podcast person interviews these parents and looks at how NWP’s affect school decisions, even if they later turn out to be jackasses who don’t follow through.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #820 on: August 9, 2020, 12:08:26 pm »
What Rhymes with Purple is fun. Basically all about language and words and etymology stuff!
Yep, thanks for recommending that, Something Rhymes with Purple is really good.
Its Andrew Harrison that is a big red isn't it?
Indeed, you're right mate.

I don't usually listen to Peter Crouch's podcast but the latest with Prince William is excellent. One or two chuckles in there as well.

Offline AndyInVA

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #821 on: August 10, 2020, 03:38:43 am »

I don't usually listen to Peter Crouch's podcast but the latest with Prince William is excellent. One or two chuckles in there as well.

That episode was the final straw for me. Enjoyed Crouch and the podcast for most of the series then felt the last 5 or so were lad banter at best. I hoped the prince William one would be different but it just didn’t work for me at. Unsubscribed after that. There are so many good podcasts there is no need to waste time on nonsense.

Offline Joff

• Nah.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #822 on: August 10, 2020, 03:34:37 pm »
The socially distant sports bar with Elis James, Mike Bubbins and Steff Guerro.
They talk through clips, documentarys and books of sportsmen.

It started off quite sporty, now it's just comedy.

Top flight time machine with Sam Delaney and Andy Dawson - similar end result.

Nah.

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #823 on: September 18, 2020, 02:59:29 pm »
I mentioned it on another thread, but Will Arnett and Jason Bateman host a podcast, with their friend Sean Hayes (Will and Grace). Arnett and Bateman are buddies.

Each week, one of them will invite a guest on but the other two won't know who it will be. There have only been about 7/8 episodes so far but so far they have had some massive names - Dax Shephard, Robert Downey Jr, Kamala Harris (unfortunately before she made the ticket), Seth Rogen, Will Ferrell, Maya Rudolph, Melissa McCarthy, Jimmy Kimmel - I think I just named them all. Ha!

It is called Smartless. But it is really good - easy listen and some great stories. Jeeez - Bateman now compared to young Bateman is night and day! He had a crazy time. Glad he was able to come out the other side and produce the work he does now.

And Will Arnett is just fucking hilarious!

If anyone listens to the episode with Maya Rudolph where they talk about Sean Hayes' mother's eye... wow. I was out running at the time and I remember just being doubled over with laughter.

Online Jake

• Fuck VAR
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fuck VAR
« Reply #824 on: September 18, 2020, 10:43:41 pm »
That sounds good Ciara I'll check that out.

I've found a trove of old Adam & Joe podcasts on Spotify that I'm working my way through. I just find Buckles hillarious.
I'm not vaccinated against covid and ... I don't wear masks.

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #825 on: October 4, 2020, 01:40:12 pm »
I've smashed through "whistle blower"

It's on an ex NBA ref who was caught up in a betting scandal. If our friends at Bluemoon get wind of it, expect we'll be drawn into it somehow

Offline bradders1011

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Eat your greens and sing your blues
« Reply #826 on: October 6, 2020, 07:41:43 pm »
Quickly Kevin have gone down the Patreon route, same as everybody else it seems.

Tenner a month is a bit steep, but it might be worth it to hear every word of the Steve Barnes trilogy.
If I were a linesman, I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides.

Offline Stevie-A

• Castration Obsessed Latin Grammar Pedant
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Bronte ten bob eyes boxing club.
« Reply #827 on: October 7, 2020, 08:03:10 am »
Couple of good ones,
Ecstasy, The battle of rave. Quite, dare I say, gritty for the BBC.
Blindspot, road to 9-11. Well crafted overview of the development of terror cells from the 80's onwards.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2020, 03:10:06 pm by Stevie-A »

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #828 on: October 10, 2020, 03:05:33 pm »
Whoever suggested How Did This Get Made, nice choice :D that's some awesome podcast!

Online red_Mark1980

• Wool ginger runner
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • J.F.T.97
« Reply #829 on: October 13, 2020, 07:49:23 pm »
The Bunga Bunga podcast is certainly eye opening

Offline Andy_lfc

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #830 on: October 13, 2020, 08:02:27 pm »

Murder In House Two:

The shocking, riveting inside story of the one of greatest cover-ups in US military history. You thought you knew about the Iraq War. You thought you knew who were the good guys and bad guys. Everything you knew is about to change.

Written and narrated by filmmaker Michael Epstein, Murder In House Two is about what really happened in the Haditha Massacre of November 2005, when 24 unarmed Iraqi civilians – including women, the elderly and young children – were shot multiple times by a group of US Marines. But it’s about much more, too: about one man’s fight for justice, about how the US government tried to prevent the truth ever getting out, about paranoia and persistence and an unshakable belief in what is wrong and what is right.

Offline sidneyroughdiamond

• Legacy Fan
  • There is a light that never goes out
« Reply #831 on: October 13, 2020, 09:32:43 pm »
Andy Grant has a good podcast (former marine and fellow red) called the Legit podcast. May have been mentioned on here previously but it's worth a listen to.
Well, this piece is called "Lick My Love Pump".

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #832 on: October 13, 2020, 09:39:01 pm »
Enjoy a laugh with Elis James and John Robins with their weekly 5live podcast. Funny blokes.

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #833 on: October 13, 2020, 09:39:47 pm »
Quickly Kevin have gone down the Patreon route, same as everybody else it seems.

Tenner a month is a bit steep, but it might be worth it to hear every word of the Steve Barnes trilogy.

Hmm. I’ve been thinking of subscribing...

Offline Damo58

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #834 on: October 14, 2020, 10:12:31 am »
I've blasted through Gossip Mongers recently. Really daft podcast where people write in with rumours and gossip that they have heard, usually while growing up. 

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #835 on: October 14, 2020, 10:59:58 am »
I've blasted through Gossip Mongers recently. Really daft podcast where people write in with rumours and gossip that they have heard, usually while growing up. 

That's on my list.

Blood on the Tracks - Colin Murray
No passion no Point - Eddie Hearn
Do the Right Thing
Fighting Talk
Football Cliches
GossipMongers
No Such thing as a Fish
Tailenders
Peter Crouch Podcast
Greatest Game
Horne Section
Off Menu
Taskmaster Podcast

All my subscriptions. Then I pick and choose when I see decent guests on others.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #836 on: October 14, 2020, 05:26:42 pm »
Did anyone listen to the Caliphate a couple of years ago? I really enjoyed it but apparently it was a load of crap and made up!
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/30/business/media/new-york-times-caliphate-podcast.html

Offline Mumm-Ra

• Dunking Heretic. Mexican drug runner. Can go whistle for a pair of decent trainees! Your own personal cheese. Yes.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #837 on: October 14, 2020, 08:10:03 pm »
Did anyone listen to the Caliphate a couple of years ago? I really enjoyed it but apparently it was a load of crap and made up!
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/30/business/media/new-york-times-caliphate-podcast.html

What??!

I enjoyed that too, although I don't think I finished it. So the Canadian guy never killed anyone? Did he even join ISIS? (NYT is paywalled)

Edit - sorry I should have tried simply clicking the link provided:

The New York Times said on Wednesday that it had opened a “fresh examination” into how its popular “Caliphate” podcast portrayed a Canadian man who has been charged with lying about being an Islamic State executioner.
The Royal Canadian Mounted Police announced on Friday that it had arrested Shehroze Chaudhry, who was featured in “Caliphate” using the name Abu Huzayfah, under terrorism hoax laws. The authorities accused Mr. Chaudhry of fabricating his involvement in acts of terrorism in Syria with ISIS and of raising “public safety concerns amongst Canadians.”
In several episodes of “Caliphate,” which was released by The Times in 2018, Mr. Chaudhry described his recruitment by ISIS and the violent executions he said he had taken part in. One episode cast doubt on some of his claims as the reporters uncovered inconsistencies with his passport and travel dates.

What a freak
« Last Edit: October 14, 2020, 08:13:20 pm by Mumm-Ra »

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #838 on: October 14, 2020, 10:49:37 pm »
 :D  what a gobshite ay!

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #839 on: October 14, 2020, 10:52:05 pm »
I find the Iraq war a bit depressing to be honest, but the Fault Line presented by David Dimbleby is good. It's certainly with it on a slow output Pod day.