Author Topic: Play Football  (Read 45076 times)

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
Re: Play Football
« Reply #360 on: May 4, 2021, 02:36:15 pm »
Sounds frustrating Razor - luckily we've got a dependable group largely.

Our difficulty was that a few years back, we were the youngest ones in our mid 20s, and as time passed by the older fellas started to drop out and we started to have to cancel weeks at the last minute. So we drafted in some younger fellas we knew, who would then bring mates of theirs if we were short. But then that gets to them wanting to come every week and now we have the opposite problem, about 20 lads wanting to play each week when there's only 14 spaces.

Sometimes we relent and have 8v8, but anything above that is dreadful on a 7s pitch. And even though we operate a first come first serve basis, it's hard to tell lads who've been consistently coming for years that they can't play this week because someone was quicker on a group message than them, or equally to tell a lad they can't come because someone who shows more consistently wants to play, you end up losing potential players that way.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Take me 2 the magic of the moment on a glory night
« Reply #361 on: May 4, 2021, 03:37:01 pm »
Yeah I know feeling. You do have to do first come first served

Played on a pitch once that 7 a side was pretty ok. 8 fine but some nights 9 was very tight and as you say earlier you get on the ball and at least two people are on top of you

I had to play upfront one night as no one else did. 9 a side. For some reason my whole team were scared if going forward. The whole night I felt like I was being marked by 5 players

I know a few got turned away. I think I did a few times but if 18 people got there before me it was just tough

One lad told me about 32 lads turned up one night for a game
yer ma should have called you Paolo Zico Gerry Socrates HELLRAZOR

Offline S

• pineless. Get no pleasure from seeing the Reds win.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #362 on: June 24, 2021, 02:19:10 am »
Sangria, those boots you mentioned sound like Predators. How are you finding them? Assuming you even kept them? Getting back into playing footy and always loved Predators back in the day. These new ones look great but just wondering how they feel.

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #363 on: June 24, 2021, 03:19:43 am »
would normally go at least a size up
 you were pretty good from what i remember

long time no chat pal

hope you are well

Sorry mate, missed this last time.

I'm doing well thanks, hope you are too.

We're one game away from our mid-season summer break here - 8 wins from 8 so far and I'm currently ahead in our team's goal of the season competition despite one of the lads having scored 27 in 8 games and this is the only competitive goal I think I've scored in at least 5 years. Them's the breaks!

I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Offline paulrazor

• Dreams of a handjob from Timmy Mallett. Chronicler of seasons past. Cares more than Prelude Nr 5, or does he? No chance of getting a banana at his house.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #364 on: June 24, 2021, 01:39:07 pm »
Sorry mate, missed this last time.

I'm doing well thanks, hope you are too.

We're one game away from our mid-season summer break here - 8 wins from 8 so far and I'm currently ahead in our team's goal of the season competition despite one of the lads having scored 27 in 8 games and this is the only competitive goal I think I've scored in at least 5 years. Them's the breaks!

ha ha nice one

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #365 on: August 4, 2021, 05:58:27 pm »
Just got back into playing local footy. Last game was when I was 18, I'm now 31.

I keep pretty fit, so I feel okay in terms of the running required. I'm used to road running though so I'll need to get more used to sprinting short distances.

Touch is obviously very rusty, but I can feel improvements as I play more and more.

What I can't get over is the chaos of it! It feels like you get the ball and have to pass it or take someone on instantly. Otherwise someone is right behind you. It's kind of bewildering. Has anyone else experienced similar after having a long period out?

I think it's probably to do with the standard not being that great. I guess if everyone is passing it around on the floor and making space for one another, it would be a lot easier.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #366 on: August 4, 2021, 08:28:58 pm »
Just got back into playing local footy. Last game was when I was 18, I'm now 31.

I keep pretty fit, so I feel okay in terms of the running required. I'm used to road running though so I'll need to get more used to sprinting short distances.

Touch is obviously very rusty, but I can feel improvements as I play more and more.

What I can't get over is the chaos of it! It feels like you get the ball and have to pass it or take someone on instantly. Otherwise someone is right behind you. It's kind of bewildering. Has anyone else experienced similar after having a long period out?

I think it's probably to do with the standard not being that great. I guess if everyone is passing it around on the floor and making space for one another, it would be a lot easier.

Yes, I know what you mean. It's like a game of headless chicken at times.

When you play for a better group of players, then you'll notice the movement and passing is better.

I haven't played since COVID bar once or twice, and I miss it tremendously. I played twice a week prior to that, and now having to get back into finding a team is a pain for me, I played with the same group for a while previously.

5 a side, 6  a side is enough for me. I've only every played 11 v 11 once in my life, and for the most part all the games I've played have been small sided, futsal or indoor in general.

I love hard court surfaces, I enjoy it more than playing on grass, I feel more comfortable.

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #367 on: August 4, 2021, 09:48:55 pm »
Yes, I know what you mean. It's like a game of headless chicken at times.

When you play for a better group of players, then you'll notice the movement and passing is better.

I haven't played since COVID bar once or twice, and I miss it tremendously. I played twice a week prior to that, and now having to get back into finding a team is a pain for me, I played with the same group for a while previously.

5 a side, 6  a side is enough for me. I've only every played 11 v 11 once in my life, and for the most part all the games I've played have been small sided, futsal or indoor in general.

I love hard court surfaces, I enjoy it more than playing on grass, I feel more comfortable.
Headless chickens is right. Every single moment is treated like it could decide the match, so people hoof clearances away and rush everything. The ball ends up pinging around everywhere. I almost want to stop the game and tell both teams to calm the fuck down. The problem is it works insofar as it tends to stifle both teams. Yesterday though we played a team of youngish lads who gave me some hope. Just by passing it intelligently and simply amongst themselves they knackered our team out. I came away wishing I'd signed for them this season instead.

It doesn't seem to happen so much in 5/6 a side though. I think it's because it's typically not quite so "organised". There often isn't anyone watching, or a referee, or a league and crucially, not much chance of losing your space in the team. It means everyone relaxes a little and, in my experience, tries to play simpler and nicer football.

Sort of agree with you on hard surfaces too. Certainly compared to grass, which is often no more than a slightly manicured cow field. The way the ball runs true just makes things so much more enjoyable.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #368 on: August 5, 2021, 06:53:37 pm »
Headless chickens is right. Every single moment is treated like it could decide the match, so people hoof clearances away and rush everything. The ball ends up pinging around everywhere. I almost want to stop the game and tell both teams to calm the fuck down. The problem is it works insofar as it tends to stifle both teams. Yesterday though we played a team of youngish lads who gave me some hope. Just by passing it intelligently and simply amongst themselves they knackered our team out. I came away wishing I'd signed for them this season instead.

That's exactly how it tends to happen, I get frustrated by that as well, there's no joy in it when the game is played like that, chaotic and all over the place.

Sort of agree with you on hard surfaces too. Certainly compared to grass, which is often no more than a slightly manicured cow field. The way the ball runs true just makes things so much more enjoyable.

Yup, the grass tends to be absolute crap, and if its artifical grass, i've played in some ones that feel like quick sand.

Offline tbonejones

• Dr. Doolittle
  • Legacy Fan
  • We'll be coming down the road...
« Reply #369 on: September 26, 2021, 03:17:17 pm »
Banged in a left footed winner for our first three points of the season today, 4-3 after we’d been 3-1 down with not long to go. Genuine last kick of the game. Beat that feeling!
Journo: ''So, let me get this right, train, coach, train, plane.''
Rafa: ''No, coach first because we will not be walking to the train station.''

Don't Buy The Sun - www.dontbuythesun.co.uk

It was poodle. She was rocking a fucking poodle to sleep.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #370 on: September 27, 2021, 02:23:30 am »
Banged in a left footed winner for our first three points of the season today, 4-3 after we’d been 3-1 down with not long to go. Genuine last kick of the game. Beat that feeling!

Sign the t-bone...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #371 on: September 27, 2021, 09:59:31 pm »
Back playing indoors. So nice to be playing normal indoor footy again. I’m 51 now and my kid is 19. He played with us tonight, rather in the manner of a kindly uncle playing with kids. We’re all 40 to 60, good players but you know. Old. Still, as I keep saying in this thread, I’m very lucky to be able to still play with him, even if our levels are moving further apart.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #372 on: April 8, 2022, 10:12:42 am »
Saturday game died a death after about 15 years, as I said above though lads strolling in late and no showing was annoying as hell

Few of us now play on a thursday night, usually a good turn out.

Few lopsided games. Last night lost by 7 because of stupid things, honestly one lad missed about 5 chances from 3 yards out. Its like when the ball comes to him he forgets how to kick it

he had about 8 guilt edged chances, he scored one, I kinda awkwardly flicked it from a corner, it was going wide and he just sort of collided with the ball and it fell into the net. One goal from all his chances was awful, I seriously think my wife would have put 4 of them in the net

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #373 on: April 8, 2022, 11:41:28 am »
That's the way it is with informal five and six asides, most players can't consistently nail basic skills Paul! All good fun though.

My first game back last night after 6 weeks off. XI aside. Had an eventful game - got two assists, missed a penalty that could have put us 3-0 up (ended up drawing 2-2) and scored a bizarre OG where I attempted to cut across a forward who'd got around our keeper and I kicked the fuck out of my own achilles and sliced the ball into my own empty net. Then had to go off because my ankle started to swell.

I got about okay but I'm not as mobile as when I was running a lot last year, I'll hopefully get fitter over summer. Team is full of lads in their early 20s now who are talented but fuck me their decision making is pretty much, to a man, dog shit. We should have been 5 up by half time. Since when has squaring it to a man for a tap in been the second choice option to doing 4 unnecessary stepovers in the box and taking yourself out to a wider and wider angle to shoot? About 3 times we had a lad waiting for an unmissable chance and the young wingers made awful decisions.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #374 on: April 8, 2022, 11:46:18 am »
just greed, type of players who are happy if they score 2 in an 8-2 defeat but pissed off if you win 4-0 and they dont score

sounds like an eventful night for you

Offline Col

• Shaves his tongue and shares makeup tips. May be a little camp.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #375 on: April 8, 2022, 11:27:29 pm »
Our O-30s team went unbeaten, won the league at a canter, got promoted, beat the team that won the top division 7-0 in the State Cup then got kicked out because the lad who'd scored 56 in 18 wasn't actually 30 for half of the season.

I don't have to sell my soul... he's already in me.

Online afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #376 on: April 9, 2022, 12:39:22 am »
Our O-30s team went unbeaten, won the league at a canter, got promoted, beat the team that won the top division 7-0 in the State Cup then got kicked out because the lad who'd scored 56 in 18 wasn't actually 30 for half of the season.

;D

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #377 on: April 11, 2022, 09:42:51 pm »
Me and my now 20 yo son combined for a Gabriel Jesus goal tonight in six a side with mine being arguably the better finish. Diagonal to the back stick, met it first time on the half volley, roof of the net. Easily made up for the times when I actually fall over trying to control a ball on the run.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #378 on: April 12, 2022, 08:27:21 am »
Thats a great feeling

Still remember fondly setting one up for my brother 20 years ago, we never really played football that much together as he is 11 years older but he came down to my astro one night, I hung one up at the back post for him and he just came running in and got above everyone with a brilliant header, linking up with the family like that is great. Can still picture my celebration lol

I see it with some fathers and sons where I play and its great, though I did put my foot in it one day. One lad on my team could hardly kick the thing out of his way, he was more a rugby player than a footballer, he could run but football wise he looked like he was kicking a balloon. End of match I put my foot in it

turned to a team mate
"jesus he was useless"

him "yeah thats my son"

Offline Corkboy

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #379 on: April 12, 2022, 12:04:26 pm »

turned to a team mate
"jesus he was useless"

him "yeah thats my son"

Oof.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #380 on: April 21, 2022, 02:48:32 pm »
Thats a great feeling

Still remember fondly setting one up for my brother 20 years ago, we never really played football that much together as he is 11 years older but he came down to my astro one night, I hung one up at the back post for him and he just came running in and got above everyone with a brilliant header, linking up with the family like that is great. Can still picture my celebration lol

I see it with some fathers and sons where I play and its great, though I did put my foot in it one day. One lad on my team could hardly kick the thing out of his way, he was more a rugby player than a footballer, he could run but football wise he looked like he was kicking a balloon. End of match I put my foot in it

turned to a team mate
"jesus he was useless"

him "yeah thats my son"
Ah come on, his old fella must have known!  ;D We've a set of brothers on our team, one could have been pro if he'd had a better attitude and the other is just okay, they absolutely rip into each other for mistakes.

Got a game tonight, knee is feeling a touch sore so not sure what to do. Played well last week, playing out of position at Right Back, a bit of a new one for me, but I'll likely be back behind the striker tonight as we were missing 3 of the usual defenders last week. We're playing a team made up entirely of referees from the Saturday league circuit, so I'm expecting some bad challenges on some of the more infamous refs  ;D

Offline S

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Tonight, Tonight
« Reply #381 on: April 21, 2022, 04:29:49 pm »
Enjoyed reading all your stories.

Just finished my first season since I was 16 (32 now). So basically it's the first I've ever played mens football.

Season ended just as I was getting into my best form. Some really good performances, some shockers. To be expected after so long out, it's like I'm relearning the sport. I've been playing as a winger all season. My instructions changed recently to basically stay up most of the time which made a huge difference. I save my energy for sprints and it's starting to show.

Looking forward to next season. I still need to get a lot more confident. Prone to freezing at vital moments.

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #382 on: April 21, 2022, 04:42:31 pm »
Enjoyed reading all your stories.

Just finished my first season since I was 16 (32 now). So basically it's the first I've ever played mens football.

Season ended just as I was getting into my best form. Some really good performances, some shockers. To be expected after so long out, it's like I'm relearning the sport. I've been playing as a winger all season. My instructions changed recently to basically stay up most of the time which made a huge difference. I save my energy for sprints and it's starting to show.

Looking forward to next season. I still need to get a lot more confident. Prone to freezing at vital moments.
Good stuff S - it's hard to get back into it after a while out. I went about 2 years without kicking a football after a bad injury and going back felt like I was having to teach myself a lot of the elements of the game again, as well as cope with frustration at not being able to do what you're telling your body to do and what used to be second nature.

Good you're enjoying it though.

I love hearing the stories in here too, especially from some of the older lads, it's encouraging because I'd like to think I'll be able to play a while longer before my knee won't allow it.

Offline Lone Star Red

• Tex
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #383 on: May 5, 2022, 03:55:18 am »
We finally bit the bullet and signed up into an O30 indoor league a couple months back. Kept getting our asses kicked by kids in their early 20’s in much better shape than us, so we had enough. Still get pummeled every now and then but at least the guys we’re playing against are usually huffing and puffing as much as we are by the end.

Went really hard into a 50/50 last Thursday with a fella wearing a Vardy jersey, who played like and annoyed as much as the real Jamie Vardy does. Won the ball but messed up my ankle pretty good, came out worse for wear and now I’m facing a spell on the sidelines for a bit. Has swelled up like a balloon and started to bruise the last 24 hours or so. Annoyed at myself because I usually make a business decision to not go into a 50/50 like a maniac these days but his mannerisms and playing style was pissing me off. Meh. Just when I was really starting to find my shooting boots again, hope what I think is a high ankle sprain heals up relatively quick. The last one I got took ages for me to get over 100%.
You cannot call overseas Liverpool supporters glory hunters. We’ve won one trophy this decade. If they’re glory hunters, they’re really bad ones. They’re actually journey hunters. It’s the journey and the story. Something about Liverpool has grabbed them." - Neil Atkinson (May, 2019)

"So don’t think about it – just play football.” - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #384 on: June 6, 2022, 10:06:12 pm »
2nd week back at 5aside in a year.

Strolled in thinking I was Thiago, put in a performance like Charlie Adam.

5-a-side fitness is so different to most other stuff  :-X

Offline Pata

• cake
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #385 on: June 16, 2022, 11:30:54 am »
Played in Paris on the morning of the final. Felt it for about 4 days afterwards.
Very enjoyable - even my comedy own goal - until our legs went last 20, so ended up collapsing to 7-1 (but they had 3 ex-pros).
The guys who played went on to do some excellent reporting on the events at the Stade de France in the evening.

Already eyeing a venue for Istanbul :)

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #386 on: June 16, 2022, 12:49:55 pm »
playing tonight, should have about 20 playing

full 11 a side saturday morning for charity, probably a 70 min game.

Can still do a job at times

Offline Spanish Al

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #387 on: June 23, 2022, 08:56:51 pm »
Played at goals tonight in a cup/trial game before entering a league again in a week or two. We had a team in the league before lockdown but stopped when that kicked in and tonight was our first time back since then. Have played in a kickabout 7 a side game on and off during lockdown so glad to be back into it every week now.

Had a little kickabout game on Tuesday and I struggled with my fitness massively, I’m blaming the heat, so I was a bit worried about tonight.

Bagged myself  7 in a 12-4 win so I’m content again now! Such a buzz, missed that little competitiveness when playing.
Rafa Benitez: "I’ll always keep in my heart the good times I’ve had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager."

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #388 on: June 24, 2022, 10:38:44 am »
Played in Paris on the morning of the final. Felt it for about 4 days afterwards.
Very enjoyable - even my comedy own goal - until our legs went last 20, so ended up collapsing to 7-1 (but they had 3 ex-pros).
The guys who played went on to do some excellent reporting on the events at the Stade de France in the evening.

Already eyeing a venue for Istanbul :)
I can say from experience that even an aged ex-pro can absolutely take apart even very fit, decent younger players. I played in a charity match once with David Thompson (probably about 40 at the time so not an older player) and he absolutely ran the show, against mainly lads in our early-mid 20s at the time.

Played myself last night, solid if unspectacular in a 0-0 draw. Hit the underside of the bar with a freekick that I swear went over the line, but otherwise spent most of the game with neck strain as their defence just kept launching the ball over head for it to run through to our keeper, who kept inexplicably kicking it back to their defenders. We've had chance to go top of the league in the last 3 games now and drawn every one. Still only 2 points behind though. 

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #389 on: June 24, 2022, 10:49:09 am »
definitely, good friend of mine was in some 5 a side tournament years back, he was in his mid 20s then, first team they were up against were a bunch of 50 year olds. They thought it would be easy, they couldnt get the ball of them, chasing shadows all game, ended up losing about 7-1

Match last thursday was fine for astro, 10 a side, the hour was nearly up by the time the other team even got a goal and we still won handy.

The saturday match for charity was a full size pitch 11 v 11, did ok but passing was way off though didnt help when people you pass it too run away, do nothing or miscontrol it, we lost 4-3, amazingly all 3 of our goals was a centre back going up for a corner. think it was also a perfect hat trick

I wrecked my hamstring less than half way into the game but soldiered on and its still a bit sore

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #390 on: July 5, 2022, 02:40:18 pm »
Any togger going on in Liverpool that needs a player?

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #391 on: July 5, 2022, 02:49:59 pm »
Any togger going on in Liverpool that needs a player?
What nights you free mate and how many a side? I play on Tuesdays and Thursdays, though the Thursday is on the Wirral.

Online afc tukrish

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #392 on: July 5, 2022, 03:28:16 pm »
What nights you free mate and how many a side? I play on Tuesdays and Thursdays, though the Thursday is on the Wirral.

Sort of woolball on the Thursdays?

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #393 on: July 5, 2022, 03:54:30 pm »
Sort of woolball on the Thursdays?
Wooly-ish, there's more wools at Powerleague in town than the XI aside on the Wirral oddly. Group I play with in town is mainly Southerners at the Unis.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #394 on: July 12, 2022, 10:55:24 am »

Sorry mate only just seen this! Free most nights as I'm usually gyming it in the morning these days. I'm up for any a side really, what you got going on Tuesdays? Wirral is a bit of a mish from Kirkby!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #395 on: July 13, 2022, 09:28:10 am »
Sorry mate only just seen this! Free most nights as I'm usually gyming it in the morning these days. I'm up for any a side really, what you got going on Tuesdays? Wirral is a bit of a mish from Kirkby!
Tuesday is XI aside on grass at St Edwards, 19:30, I can enquire if there's space if you fancy that? Yeah I'm thinking of sacking off the Bidston 7 aside at the Tennis Club, it's a trek for me and I don't usually get home until 22:00 with the 20:00 start, and I live Wirral side if the estuary (stop over in Liverpool two nights a week for work so the West Derby games aren't a problem).

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #396 on: July 13, 2022, 04:24:25 pm »
I'd love to find some 5/7 aside footy again. Alas I've only relatively recently moved to Formby and in previous experience it can be quite tricky just rocking up on your own without a team ;D Unless you're the lovechild of Pele and Maradona skills-wise which sadly I'm not.

Anyone who knows of any options in the Southport/Formby/Crosby area, grateful if you could give us a shout...

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #397 on: July 14, 2022, 08:49:29 am »
Tuesday is XI aside on grass at St Edwards, 19:30, I can enquire if there's space if you fancy that? Yeah I'm thinking of sacking off the Bidston 7 aside at the Tennis Club, it's a trek for me and I don't usually get home until 22:00 with the 20:00 start, and I live Wirral side if the estuary (stop over in Liverpool two nights a week for work so the West Derby games aren't a problem).

Yeah mate my only issue is I'm not on the road at the minute and it is tricky getting to West Derby from Kirkby. I would need a lift or meet someone halfway (wherever that is). Should be back on the road in the next couple of months though!

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #398 on: July 15, 2022, 08:14:39 am »
Andy, let me know when you are driving again and I’ll ask the lad who runs the group.

Played last night, 7s, played fairly solidly but it was a tight game ending 1-1. The pace dropped off massively after 30 minutes and because two lads who hadn’t put their names in the group on time still showed up, we had to play 8 aside and the pitch was too small to accommodate that - meant there was zero space and rarely an unmarked man to pass to. I think the main thing I did was receive the ball and pass it backwards to our centre half. A few of the lads are in the ‘second touch is a tackle’ bracket which meant a lot of the play broke down quickly.

Offline paulrazor

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #399 on: July 15, 2022, 08:30:31 am »
Know the feeling, think it helps if you can prepare your mind for getting the ball and knowing what to do next once you get it.

Not wait until you get the ball to think about what to do

We had a good 8 a side game last night, only annoying thing was we had blue bibs for one team. Two of the lads wouldnt wear them properly because it didnt fit well or it was too warm so just wore them round their neck

annoying when you look up and think its your team mate to see a tiny bit of blue, plus some didnt wear the bib as they had some sort of shade of blue. It does get confusing