Author Topic: UFC/MMA thread  (Read 1894933 times)

Offline JayH93

• Legacy Fan
  • ANLACKY
Re: UFC/MMA thread
« Reply #29640 on: April 25, 2021, 10:33:50 am »
Masvidal has talked a great talk for the last couple of years, but this fight has shown especially that there's serious levels to the division. And Usman is miles ahead of all of them.  Edwards, Covington and Burns all have great skill-sets, but they've all already lost to Usman. The only fight I'm interested in for him would be Leon.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 10:37:37 am by JayH93 »

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #29641 on: April 25, 2021, 11:36:20 am »
Man, that was some card....wtf! moments akimbo
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #29642 on: April 25, 2021, 04:52:11 pm »
I think we need a Trevor Wittman appreciation post. Without a doubt one of the best all-time coaches

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #29643 on: April 25, 2021, 06:03:03 pm »
I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing fighters getting hit whist they are down and practically out, though I accept it is different in boxing because there are no counts and the fight is over when ref steps in so there is a need for it to be conclusive

UFC refs really have to be a cut above boxing refs. They have to be able to recognise when a fighter is out. They need to do so much more to protect those in the octagon.

They don't get the advantage of an 8 count. Step in to early and the guy might not be knocked out and unfairly stopped. Step in too late and your letting an unconscious guy get punched in the face.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #29644 on: April 25, 2021, 06:27:07 pm »
The extra shots on Masvidal was super necessary

Offline JayH93

• Legacy Fan
  • ANLACKY
« Reply #29645 on: April 25, 2021, 08:46:08 pm »
I think we need a Trevor Wittman appreciation post. Without a doubt one of the best all-time coaches

100% - his appearance on JRE was super interesting hearing his approach with Gaethje. It's so refreshing that he only wants a small stable of fighters that he can focus exclusively on. Hopefully Gaethje can get a decent fight at some point this year, it sucks that he's been frozen out since the Khabib fight.

Offline Buggy Eyes Alfredo

• Legacy Fan
  • ¤Ginger◇Drapes¤
« Reply #29646 on: April 25, 2021, 10:24:10 pm »

Back to sucker punching old men in bars for Conor.

He has now bought the pub and banned that bloke that he punched.    ::)

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #29647 on: April 26, 2021, 01:24:25 am »
Some incredible fighters coming out of Africa. Ngannou and now Usman. Untouchable in their divisions.

Don't forget Adesanya.  Born in raised in Nigeria till just before his teens years, before shifting to New Zealand,  if I recall.
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #29648 on: April 26, 2021, 01:25:37 am »
The extra shots on Masvidal was super necessary

Haha!
Still one of the greatest replies in a post fight conference. >: ;D
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29649 on: April 26, 2021, 01:52:04 pm »
Is that it then, Usman is the P4P King in MMA? Adesanya certainly runs him close, even after his loss against Błachowicz, but I still have Usman as the best (active) fighter in the World right now.

Poor Weidman, not that he was ever going to get anywhere near the MW title again, but I guess we'll never know. That was absolutely horrific, won't be in a rush to watch that again.

He really is such an outstanding coach, an academic of the sport. However, I do think he got Gaethje's tactics wrong for the Khabib fight (hindsight is a wonderful thing I know), as he was never going to trouble Khabib trying to strategically out-strike him for 5 rounds. Witmann basically said to Gaethje he'd coach him but he'd have to change his head down and march forward tactics as he wouldn't have many fights left with that approach. And I actually think that was the only way he was ever going to beat Khabib, by marching forward and trying to lure him into a war and then rocking him. To be fair, he probably still would have ended up on his arse and been mauled to death, unfortunately we'll never know! But look no doubt he's helped Usman develop into the P4P King though, and I'm sure Gaethje will progress to a similar level over time as well. 

Offline 7777

• RAWK Boxing Prediction League Champion 07
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We see things they'll never see
« Reply #29650 on: April 26, 2021, 03:18:41 pm »
McGregor isn't right in the head.

Why on gods green earth would he be provking Usman?! 170lb is a scary division right now and he hasn't got past Dustin yet!

Offline Broad Spectrum

• Antibiotic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29651 on: April 26, 2021, 03:44:31 pm »
Is the Dustin rematch confirmed at 170lbs? He’s desperately trying to stay relevant, as he has been for a few years now. Usman would absolutely maul him, I don’t even think he makes it past Colby at 170 let alone the Champ.

Offline I've been a good boy

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29652 on: April 26, 2021, 06:04:17 pm »
Usman is a unit, McGregor would do well do make it out the first round if they fought. He'd get a much worse beating than the one Khabib gave him, he needs to focus on Poirier in July. I think Charles Oliveira would trouble him and possibly Ferguson if he has anything left in the tank.

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #29653 on: April 27, 2021, 12:55:01 pm »
He has now bought the pub and banned that bloke that he punched.    ::)

Dog act and just typical of who he is. Pure spite.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29654 on: April 28, 2021, 03:30:35 am »
If McGregor fights again after Porier, considering he's just now sold his majority stake of Proper 12 for 600 million dollars, I'd be surprised

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29655 on: April 29, 2021, 07:21:38 am »
Is the Dustin rematch confirmed at 170lbs? He’s desperately trying to stay relevant, as he has been for a few years now. Usman would absolutely maul him, I don’t even think he makes it past Colby at 170 let alone the Champ.

155 hence the confusion chasing clout at 170 when he needs to focus on Poirier. As if you would try and wind Usman up on purpose, ask Colby and Masvidal how well that went down for them, one ended up with a broken jaw and the other got switched off!

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #29656 on: May 2, 2021, 12:02:18 pm »
Jesus...Prochazka is one frightening mofo...that spinning elbow KO on Reyes was brutal.....him Vs Blachowicz will be quite something
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

• "There are two ways of spreading light; to be the candle or the mirror that receives it." Loves a good set of open flaps. And a bowl of Coco Poops! No chance of getting a coffee in his house.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29657 on: May 16, 2021, 11:08:44 am »
Three losses on the bounce for Tony Ferguson now. Got to think that's him done now, time is not on his side. Crazy how him and Tyron Woodley both looked unstoppable not so long ago, they have fallen from grace in a massive way. It's an unforgiving sport.

Offline Pistolero

• Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #29658 on: May 16, 2021, 11:45:48 am »
Yeah, looks over for him now...was a shadow of himself last night ....main event was a corker...terrific win for Oliveira, but Chandler still looks a total beast..

Offline JayH93

• Legacy Fan
  • ANLACKY
« Reply #29659 on: May 16, 2021, 12:54:34 pm »
Gaethje took his soul...

Oliveira vs Poirier/Mcgregor will be super interesting, especially (hopefully) if it's Poirier.

Offline stevieG786

• Prefers bottom.
  • Legacy Fan
  • AWWW YA BEAUTY!!
« Reply #29660 on: May 16, 2021, 01:58:41 pm »
One thing for sure, Khabib would have destroyed Tony

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #29661 on: May 20, 2021, 11:59:38 am »
Three losses on the bounce for Tony Ferguson now. Got to think that's him done now, time is not on his side. Crazy how him and Tyron Woodley both looked unstoppable not so long ago, they have fallen from grace in a massive way. It's an unforgiving sport.

He'll be looking down, not up, in the rankings now. He'll be the one the lower seeds want hold of to get them up there into the top 10/5.

Dana will be gutted that those with the big mouths and large fan bases seem to be losing at the moment. McGregor losing to Poirer would put them in an interesting spot.

I think that division sees -

McGregor/Poirer winner vs Oliveria
Gaethje vs Dariush number 1 contender shot
Chandler vs McGregor/Poirer loser
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Online Elzar

• train station gate frustration - delia smith fan club founder ('ave it!)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bam!
« Reply #29662 on: May 20, 2021, 12:00:45 pm »
One thing for sure, Khabib would have destroyed Tony
Or any other human.

Tony 15 months ago looked built to challenge Khabib at least, but he's shown since then he gets manhandled on the floor too easily.
We already have shit in the country, and the game of Liverpool fills life with joy. Thanks

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29663 on: May 21, 2021, 08:46:59 am »
He'll be looking down, not up, in the rankings now. He'll be the one the lower seeds want hold of to get them up there into the top 10/5.

Dana will be gutted that those with the big mouths and large fan bases seem to be losing at the moment. McGregor losing to Poirer would put them in an interesting spot.

I think that division sees -

McGregor/Poirer winner vs Oliveria
Gaethje vs Dariush number 1 contender shot
Chandler vs McGregor/Poirer loser

Unreal fights all of them and there will be no arguments from any of them, they all want to face each other!

It legitmately doesn't matter if they lose too, they all get an opportunity again and it's recognised they're fighting elite fighters at that level. Look at Till as a prime example, losses to Masvidal and Whittaker haven't taken any stock from him, still headlining fights, still willing to fight the top guys

Compare that to the shit show over in Boxing, especially in the last week with snakes and dinosaur promoters, mandatories for a gazillion belts and ducking and diving everywhere

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29664 on: June 7, 2021, 06:13:25 pm »
Fight week

Excited for this one - UFC 263

Figueiredo - Moreno II - repeat of 2020 FOTY for me
Adesanya - Vettori II - who has improved more, who has learnt the most from the first fight?
Diaz - Edwards - Leon to shock the world!

Even Maia and Belal Muhammed on the main card will be a tasty one

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29665 on: June 7, 2021, 06:31:31 pm »
Most people are expecting Edwards to beat Diaz so won't be a major shock but if he does then he would definitely be next in line to face Usman. Or maybe a number 1 contender decider vs Covington.

Adesanya will probably tear through Vettori. It's a good card, looking forward to it.

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29666 on: June 7, 2021, 07:12:51 pm »
Diaz is meh, huge following but hasn't really ever been in contention for gold, Leon Edwards will TKO him, a lot is said about Diaz's durability, which is fair enough, but Masvidal is also extremely durable, and Usman melted him.

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29667 on: June 8, 2021, 11:58:24 am »
Most people are expecting Edwards to beat Diaz so won't be a major shock but if he does then he would definitely be next in line to face Usman. Or maybe a number 1 contender decider vs Covington.

Adesanya will probably tear through Vettori. It's a good card, looking forward to it.

Yeah I'd say anyone who understands the game but Diaz attracts sooo many 'fans' who only watch when him or McGregor are on

Offline 7777

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29668 on: June 12, 2021, 05:17:00 pm »
Picks then…

Belal to stop Maia
Edwards to beat Diaz decision
Moreno to beat Figgy by SD
Izzy to win by decision over the Ork

Dilemma for me is picking my daughter up from work at 1 and deciding whether to stay up and watch it!

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29669 on: June 12, 2021, 08:11:55 pm »
Diaz sounds like George out of Rainbow

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29670 on: June 12, 2021, 08:30:19 pm »
Diaz v Edwards is really difficult for me. Want Diaz to win, he's one of the few well-known stars currently left in the UFC. But also want Edwards to win because he can potentially go on to fight Usman for the title or he can whup Colby in an eliminator. It'll be Edwards by decision though.

Adesanya to KO Vettori and Moreno to decision Figgy.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29671 on: June 12, 2021, 08:51:33 pm »
I hope Edwards head kicks Diaz into next week for the win

Offline Hendollama

• Baldanovski stan. Injustice can be committed only by persons who cannot be touched, only by persons who have power and authority.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29672 on: June 12, 2021, 11:02:23 pm »
Any good streams?
Happy is the man who avoids hardship, but how fine is the man who is afflicted and shows endurance.

Offline WhereAngelsPlay

• Rockwool Marketing Board Spokesman. Cracker Wanker. Fucking calmest man on RAWK, alright? ALRIGHT?! Definitely a bigger cunt than YOU!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29673 on: June 13, 2021, 03:27:00 am »
That ref needs taking out the back and shot.
My cup, it runneth over, I'll never get my fill

Offline RedSamba

• Legacy Fan
  • EUROPEAN ROYALTY
« Reply #29674 on: June 13, 2021, 06:44:05 am »
Really happy for Moreno, and Deiveson is a class act. Shame he's been ill-advised by his management to act like a tool. Nate is a dummy, he had the chance to finish Leon in the fifth but instead decided to point fingers and laugh. Oh, and Marvin is fucking deluded  ;D

Offline Rosario

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29675 on: June 13, 2021, 08:36:38 am »
No idea what Nate was doing there to be honest, one more clean shot and he probably gets the finish there but instead he decides to showboat. Other than that Leon controlled the fight beautifully but still don’t think he has much to trouble Usman. Happy for Moreno he genuinely seems like one of the most likeable people in the sport be interesting to see how big he can get with all of Mexico behind him. Total domination bu Adesanya and not sure who in the middleweight division can trouble him with that reach and striking ability. He can probably be controlled on the ground but doesn’t seem to be anyone in the division who is a good enough wrestler to achieve that. No idea why Vettori was so delusional considering his corner was being very blunt with him in regards to his performance throughout the fight.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29676 on: June 13, 2021, 11:48:47 am »
Didn't realise he's the first Mexican UFC champion. Always found it puzzling how boxing is so huge in Mexico and has a rich history of producing solid champions but very few have made it to MMA. Hopefully it can kickstart them and produce a similar line of talent to Brazil.

Online Working Class Hen-Pecked Hero

• Is something to be...Lives at 999 Letsby Avenue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #29677 on: June 13, 2021, 01:26:04 pm »
Love to know Vetorris gameplay though. Grabbing for the takedown, getting some breath back before exploding taking Israel down to just let him counter or lose position instantly
I'm telling you, Bowie died and it's all gone to fuck.

Offline xbugawugax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29678 on: June 13, 2021, 01:33:35 pm »
Picks then…

Belal to stop Maia
Edwards to beat Diaz decision
Moreno to beat Figgy by SD
Izzy to win by decision over the Ork

Dilemma for me is picking my daughter up from work at 1 and deciding whether to stay up and watch it!

almost all correct

didnt expect moreno to choke figgy though. but figgy does look slow and lethargic. seems like he wasnt just up for it.

man the edwards vs diaz almost came to KO. diaz is such a fun but low iq fighter. he could have just knocked edwards out.

all talk of edwards rematch vs kamaru will be just that. think kamaru is just too dominant of a champion for now.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29679 on: June 13, 2021, 01:43:28 pm »
Diaz reminds me of the Simpsons episode when Homer is boxing, he just stands there taking punch after punch after punch and lets the other guy expend all his energy, what's Diaz's style anyway?, a boxer?, I thought boxers were meant to be good at AVOIDING being hit, he gets busted up in every fight.