Author Topic: New Zealand Elections  (Read 6019 times)

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
New Zealand Elections
« on: October 17, 2020, 08:27:25 am »
The polls closed an hour ago and since I’m passing time at Labour HQ until the serious results are confirmed, I thought I would update those interested in the NZ election - in something like real time.

Most readers will know that NZ elected a Labour government under Jacinda Ardern in 2017. This was, as is usual since the adoption of MMP (mixed-member proportional) in 1996, a coalition. Very oddly, with Winston Peter’s New Zealand First party. NZF is a populist, somewhat nationalist/anti-immigration party largely supported by elderly rural voters, and Winston has been a lively figure in politics for years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_system_of_New_Zealand

The main opposition is National, very much a conservative party akin to the Tories when they were reasonably centrist - and had been the government for the preceding decade. They have had a collective aneurysm recently, knifing their leader Simon Bridges a few months ago, replacing him with the assassin Todd Muller (only known for being the target of the meme “OK Boomer” levelled at him by the Green MP Chloe Swarbrick after he heckled her in Parliament) who bailed with stress after a few weeks. (He also had a Trump MAGA hat on display) Then they chose Judith ‘Crusher’ Collins as leader - a woman who sports a smirk that indicates she eats tiny children of an evening and is looking forward to the ketchup. (Her role model is a certain Thatcher).

Minor parties in the mix are the abovementioned New Zealand First, David Seymour’s ACT (a libertarian, right wing party that have had just the one MP for years) and the Greens. There is also the Maori Party trying to get back into parliament and several minor parties that have no hope of making the 5% or winning a direct electorate.

A staggering early vote of nearly 2m voters means the results will be much earlier than usual.

So current state of play (on the party vote percentages)

Update Edit:

50% votes counted:

49.7% Labour  (65 seats)
26.5% National (35 seats)
7.9% Green (10 seats)
7.9% ACT (10 seats)
2.4% NZF (0 seats)

Labour are killing it, and look like they will form a majority government (which has not happened before under MMP) We need 61 seats to do this without the Greens, and projected at 65 at present with 10 Greens.

The swing to the left (Labour plus Greens) is huge. National may be losing rural seats that have been blue for decades. They are on course to be under 30% for only the third time since the beginning of the last century (and one of those was 1939). ACT has stolen a good chunk of conservative voters. NZF look like they are toast, with less than 3% so far.

It’s great  ;D

National might be losing Rangitīkei which hasn't gone Labour since the thirties.  :o

NB There are also two referenda that were voted on, one for the legalisation of cannabis, and one for the legalisation of euthanasia. We won't know the results of those for a couple of weeks.

Edit: OK, the prime minister is on her way so I'm off to get pissed and then watch the Derby at half past midnight. I'll update tomorrow.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2023, 09:17:57 am by John C »
Be humble, for you are made of earth. Be noble, for you are made of stars.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: New Zealand 2020 Election
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2020, 08:35:20 am »
Jacinda is just superb. A real leader, the world could do with more like her.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2020, 09:10:28 am »
Looking good then for Labour and Ardern (you lucky fxxxxx), and fully deserved.  Hope it pans out the way it’s looking.

Online Trump's tiny tiny hands

• Legacy Fan
  • Building steam with a grain of salt
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2020, 11:40:49 am »
First outright majority since MMP was first introduced. Biggest win for Labour in 50 years. Can’t be overstated what has happened there. As the OP said, seats are going red from blue after many years.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 12:05:59 pm »
New Zealand might be small, but it is nice to have some good news in the world finally. There is still hope for us all.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2020, 05:28:00 am »
Well done! What a great result. Doesn't have to be hamstrung by NZ First either.

Online vblfc

• "Verily, behold! Liverpool Football Club!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let your soul and spirit fly Into the mystic
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2020, 06:28:35 am »
Well done NZ!!  It gives some hope for the world to see a strong, principled leader get elected in these days of the UK’s bumbling buffoon and that orange mess in the US.

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2020, 07:21:56 am »
It's a testament to Ardern's leadership. I thought there was a lot of hype during her early years of leading the country (the whole having a baby while PM) but Jacinda Ardern has been amazing at how she has led the country after the terror attacks last year and very notably through the COVID-19 crisis. The people have voted in approval of her performance and it's a testament to her hard work.

Although NZ is tucked away in a far corner of the world, I hope this is the beginning of the rise of more centrist and left politics across the globe. Hopefully some ripples of this major result are felt in Australia.

Next up, Biden to win in the US to start the momentum of more left-learning governments across the globe. The right-wing has shown yet again how out of touch with reality they are across the globe.
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2020, 03:12:51 pm »
Saw this and thought it was pretty hilarious. Brutal interview!

https://twitter.com/NewshubNZ/status/1317602395761893378

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2020, 03:48:02 pm »
Saw this and thought it was pretty hilarious. Brutal interview!

https://twitter.com/NewshubNZ/status/1317602395761893378

Firm but fair interview that mate :) - wish there was more of that on UK tv...

Well in to New Zealand - though can we borrow your Prime Minister for a few years?

Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2020, 03:51:13 pm »

Well in to New Zealand - though can we borrow your Prime Minister for a few years?
How about swapsies?
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Lee1-6Liv

• Daddy Discord
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2020, 03:55:01 pm »

To think the UK used to deport criminals to Australia and New Zealand, now they form governments from them.

Offline GreatEx

• pectations. might be a cunt but isn't a capitalist cunt. Blissfully ignorant.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 05:53:31 am »
Fantastic result. As an Australian, I can only look enviously across the Tasman Sea. Our Tory mob have been forced leftwards by COVID but they will no doubt spring back to their default position of protecting property portfolios of the those born pre-1960 and showing contempt for the young, refugees, the environment, etc. They've also relaxed media ownership laws and defunded the ABC (our BBC equivalent) while throwing bailouts to Foxtel, so that Murdoch's voice is by far the loudest in the room. So there is little hope for us, save that our passports are good for NZ residency!

Offline BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2020, 10:21:13 am »
New Zealand journalist feted for brutal takedown of minor party politician

Tova O’Brien’s interview with Jami-Lee Ross, who has been accused of spreading misinformation, praised as ‘a masterclass’

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Zw5a2Cc5KtI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Zw5a2Cc5KtI</a>

Beautifully brutal.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• Macbeth's on repeat. To boldly split infinitives that lesser men would dare. To.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2020, 07:24:08 am »
For those who may be interested:

Along with the general election (the final results of which are still awaiting the special ballots - ie overseas votes etc, but not expected to change much except one Maori electorate that could be affected) there were two referenda held. The results of these were announced today after the count (again, subject to special votes still being considered).

The first was to approve the End of Life Act, legalising euthanasia in certain circumstances. This was passed 65.2% to  33.8%. The Act will now come into force on November 6th 2021, as it was a binding referendum.

More surprisingly, the referendum on legalising cannabis was lost, 46.1% to 53.1% (No). There is some hope that special votes might change this but the margin looks too large (there are an estimated 480,000 special votes still be be counted and Yes is currently 167,333 votes behind).

Offline Garrus

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2020, 08:11:08 am »
For those who may be interested:

Along with the general election (the final results of which are still awaiting the special ballots - ie overseas votes etc, but not expected to change much except one Maori electorate that could be affected) there were two referenda held. The results of these were announced today after the count (again, subject to special votes still being considered).

The first was to approve the End of Life Act, legalising euthanasia in certain circumstances. This was passed 65.2% to  33.8%. The Act will now come into force on November 6th 2021, as it was a binding referendum.

More surprisingly, the referendum on legalising cannabis was lost, 46.1% to 53.1% (No). There is some hope that special votes might change this but the margin looks too large (there are an estimated 480,000 special votes still be be counted and Yes is currently 167,333 votes behind).
Very weird. Any particular reason why this might have been the case?

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2020, 01:57:23 am »
Very weird. Any particular reason why this might have been the case?

The overall electorate is still fairly overall elderly/conservative, and it's hard shaking the idea from their heads that cannabis is the Devil's weed and thus the gateway to all manner of perversions. Obviously, it's better to leave the distribution of such wickedness to the criminal gangs as everyone knows the Mongrel Mob have much higher standards of public responsibility than were contained in the proposed Act.

Depressing, not least because in a moment of genius, one of the more beloved TV presenters, Hilary Barry, used the immortal phrase "jazz cabbage" to refer to the aforesaid drug during the election coverage.

Offline kloppismydad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2020, 03:56:11 am »
I assumed the legalization of marijuana nation-wide was all but a foregone conclusion in New Zealand. Disappointed to see the referendum against legalization get more votes. Fingers crossed it can get overturned.

Huge win for Ardern and much deserved, Her response during COVID must have been incredibly reassuring for Kiwis. She was decisive and determined in her actions, and New Zealand benefited greatly from an astute leader. Hope this win for the left-centre is followed by another win for the same ideology in the US in the coming days.
Mark my words. Top 8 will be a massive struggle.
We won't make any big signings this season and we will go back to being a top4 club.

Offline Banquo's Ghost

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: November 6, 2020, 01:48:42 am »
With a nod to people complaining about slow election results in the US, the final votes have been counted in the NZ election and the definitive result announced by the Electoral Commission.

National lost a couple of seats and the Maori Party was confirmed as having their win, and a second MP from the list. It also seems like the referendum on cannabis was way closer than originally thought, but still lost.

In democracies, all valid votes are counted.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/politics/election-2020-national-loses-two-seats-labour-and-maori-party-gain-one/QOY5ONV244VBFKTW6OGC2H7EVA/

The provisional results three weeks ago were: Labour on 49.1 per cent (64 seats), National on 26.8 per cent (35 seats), Act on 8 per cent (10 seats), the Greens on 7.6 per cent (10 seats), and the Māori Party with the seat of Waiariki.

The final results have Labour on 50 per cent (65 seats), National on 25.6 per cent (33 seats), Act on 7.6 per cent (10 seats), the Greens on 7.9 per cent (10 seats), and the Māori Party with 1.2 per cent (two seats).

The final referendum results are 65.1 per cent (down 0.1 per cent) supporting the End of Life Choice Bill in the euthanasia vote, and 50.7 per cent (down from 53.1 per cent) voting against legalising recreational cannabis.

Just 67,662 votes seperated the cannabis vote.

Offline FlashGordon

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2021 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #19 on: November 6, 2020, 02:00:37 am »
Feel for all the stoners in New Zealand. They were so close.
So bloody what? If you watch football to be absolutely miserable then go watch cricket.

Offline Gojedo

• Can your garage boast an ex-Red as a mechanic? Yes? Ah but is it 13000 miles away .....
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ethyn Daniel Morgan
« Reply #20 on: November 6, 2020, 03:43:15 am »
Feel for all the stoners in New Zealand. They were so close.

Oh well. They'll feel better after a 2 minute drive to the tinnie house.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2023, 01:20:46 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-64327224

Jacinda Ardern standing down as PM
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2023, 04:06:48 am »
I'm going to have to avoid my Carlton FC (Aussie Rules team) forum for a few days, the right-wing fuckwits that infest the supporter base will be wanking themselves stupid over this. None of them can even articulate why they hate her... I mean, it's because she's a progressive woman, but they can't come out and SAY it...

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2023, 04:27:44 am »
I'm going to have to avoid my Carlton FC (Aussie Rules team) forum for a few days, the right-wing fuckwits that infest the supporter base will be wanking themselves stupid over this. None of them can even articulate why they hate her... I mean, it's because she's a progressive woman, but they can't come out and SAY it...

Same as another UK based forum I frequent, the irrational hatred of that woman by right wingers is unbelievable.

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Onanistic Charades Champion Of Roundabouts. Euphemistic Gerbil Starver.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Do you wanna build a snowman?
« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2023, 09:48:13 am »
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-64327224

Jacinda Ardern standing down as PM

She's been brilliant. As well as helping steer New Zealand on a far more compassionate and progressive path (only a few generations ago, there was a racist and misogynist culture), she's responded impeccably to some unprecedented disasters there (the mass murder, the White Island volcano) and her handling of Covid (around 40 deaths per 100k population compared to the UK's 320) was strong.

A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2023, 09:55:21 am »
Her current standing internationally has remained high while domestically her popularity has wained. Looks likely Labour will lose the next election anyway but the current crop of contenders to take her place look like they will only make that worse (wet blankets, the lot of them).

I was lucky to have Helen Clark as my last Prime Minister before heading over here but I am jealous of the folks back in NZ that got to have Jacinda, she rattled all the right people's cages while also being a tremendous leader in difficult times.

She looks nailed on for an international posting of some note.

Offline Kenny's Jacket

• Kenny's Vegan Jacket Potato. Talks more sense than me.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2023, 10:21:07 am »
Her current standing internationally has remained high while domestically her popularity has wained. Looks likely Labour will lose the next election anyway but the current crop of contenders to take her place look like they will only make that worse (wet blankets, the lot of them).

I was lucky to have Helen Clark as my last Prime Minister before heading over here but I am jealous of the folks back in NZ that got to have Jacinda, she rattled all the right people's cages while also being a tremendous leader in difficult times.

She looks nailed on for an international posting of some note.

Shes been my favourite politician for a while now, was it her rather authoritarian Covid policy that has cost her.

Ill miss her. I hope shes happy in life
As I've said before, the Full English is just the base upon which the Scots/Welsh/NI have improved upon. Sorry but the Full English is the worst of the British breakfasts.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2023, 11:21:10 am »

Is that a Carlton specific thing, or most of the Aussie Rule fanbases have that element?

I lived in Melbourne for a while, and went for Richmond Tigers because my mate supported them. But I never really understood how people went about choos¡ng their clubs there.

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2023, 11:22:55 am »

I know what you mean.
3 dicks on a WA group that I am a part of, are already on that route. More so the route that she is a woman and less on the progressive part.
I hate to see these people breed and create the next generation of ignorant fucks who will, in all probability, share atleast 50% of their idealogies.

Offline AndyInVA

• Born in Liverpool, grew up in Yorkshire, live in the States
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never Forget
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2023, 12:14:48 pm »
From the outside she seemed like a breath of fresh air to the world of nation leaders.

She always seemed candidly honest and very open and not from the traditional mold of BS career politicians talking in sound bites.

I also hope she is happy and does well in whatever she wishes to do.

Offline GreatEx

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2023, 12:58:07 pm »
Is that a Carlton specific thing, or most of the Aussie Rule fanbases have that element?

I lived in Melbourne for a while, and went for Richmond Tigers because my mate supported them. But I never really understood how people went about choos¡ng their clubs there.

There's no real political or religious affiliation with Aussie Rules clubs like there is in European football. Maybe in a few cases there's some ethnic affiliation, for example Carlton has a large Italian continent, but then, the suburb of Carlton is traditionally Italian. So what I'm seeing on the forum is probably more of a reflection of Australian society at large - I'm sure the majority are decent folk but the ones with extreme opinions shout the loudest, and those on the right grate hardest. Given that I spend the rest of my time on RAWK and another, non sports forum with a left leaning community, and don't use twatter etc, it does stand out a bit.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: New Zealand Elections
« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2023, 09:25:23 pm »

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2023, 11:26:14 pm »
What the fuck is wrong with people?
Jacinda Ardern May Need Ongoing Security as Extent of Threats Revealed
Research shows departing PM was target of extreme online abuse
‘Some of these people are capable of taking violent action’
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-25/jacinda-ardern-may-need-ongoing-security-as-extent-of-threats-revealed#xj4y7vzkg

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2023, 12:30:47 pm »
What the fuck is wrong with people?
Jacinda Ardern May Need Ongoing Security as Extent of Threats Revealed
Research shows departing PM was target of extreme online abuse
‘Some of these people are capable of taking violent action’
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2023-01-25/jacinda-ardern-may-need-ongoing-security-as-extent-of-threats-revealed#xj4y7vzkg

Are some/a lot anti-vaxxer cranks?

There's loads of them who label her a fascist, and compare themselves to Jews during the Hitler years.

All because she supported denying access to many public places to the bellends who refused to get vaccinated (who also likely also refused to take any other Covid mitigation measures like wearing masks or washing their hands)
A Tory, a worker and an immigrant are sat round a table. There's a plate of 10 biscuits in the middle. The Tory takes 9 then turns to the worker and says "that immigrant is trying to steal your biscuit"

Offline spidernz

• Boys Pen
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2023, 06:49:43 am »
In a word, yes. NZ was never like this, people spouting so much hatred over something they disagreed about. We're seeing the same echoes of obnoxious behaviour we thought only happened elsewhere. And it's really hard to see it as anything but misogynistic attitudes with social media amplifying this tiny minority of the community. Disagree with the policies, fine, but the level of vitriol hasn't really been seen here before (except maybe for the conflicts over whether NZ should play South Africa in rugby back in the 1980s.) Now she's gone, it's all quietening down. Wonder why.

Offline jambutty

• The Gok Wan of RAWK. Tripespotting Advocate. Oakley style guru. Hardman St. arl arse, "Ridiculously cool" -Atko- Impending U.S. Civil War Ostrich. Too old to suffer wankers and WUMs on here.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • June 20, 2009. Still no justice for Neda
« Reply #35 on: February 7, 2023, 05:31:15 am »
Make it harder for pakehas to vote.  ;D
Kill the humourless

Offline TheShanklyGates

• Firmly in the "shake it all about" camp
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Outside The Shankly Gates...
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2023, 11:32:12 am »
Centre-right opposition leader Christopher Luxon has won the 2023 New Zealand election.

Labour prime minister Chris Hipkins phoned the National party leader to concede defeat on Saturday night.

The New Zealand Herald reports that National is projected to win 51 seats, Labour 33, the Greens 13, Act 12, NZ First 8 and Te Pāti Māori four seats.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-67110387

Labour have lost nearly half their seats.
I've just wiped the sticky residue from my bellend onto the television screen. Taste it Leo. You deserve it.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline Nobby Reserve

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2023, 10:30:41 am »
Centre-right opposition leader Christopher Luxon has won the 2023 New Zealand election.

Labour prime minister Chris Hipkins phoned the National party leader to concede defeat on Saturday night.

The New Zealand Herald reports that National is projected to win 51 seats, Labour 33, the Greens 13, Act 12, NZ First 8 and Te Pāti Māori four seats.

"You saved tens of thousands of us in COVID. How dare you, Labour? I'm voting for the other side now"

Offline Red-Soldier

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2023, 11:20:28 am »

Fancied a change, apparently.

Felt a bit stale.

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2023, 12:23:41 pm »
Pretty much that. Plus a big, unfunded tax break always helps the I’m alright Jacks