Author Topic: Stevie G and Saudi Arabia  (Read 48636 times)

Offline thejbs

• well-focussed, deffo not at all bias......ed
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Stevie G and Saudi Arabia
« Reply #760 on: January 18, 2024, 06:59:49 pm »
The owner of Ettifaq is a self confessed Liverpool fan. 

He genuinely looks like a gaming avatar rather than an actual human.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #761 on: January 18, 2024, 07:02:07 pm »
I can't argue with it to be honest ... I just try and temper my feelings out of respect for some of the great moments he gave us on the field.

I don’t think anyone should temper their feelings about this. I’m outraged that a state can have a journalist murdered and imprison people spuriously for dissent or their sexuality. I’m further outraged by anyone that will shill for said country. Fuck him.

Offline LovelyCushionedHeader

• Not so pleasant non-upholstered footer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #762 on: January 18, 2024, 07:21:31 pm »
He's such a sellout.

Al Ettifaq basically needed some good English-related PR after Henderson bailed on them and Gerrard was more than happy to oblige. Bet he thought he was getting the chop when the call came though given their form.
And if the rain stops, and everything's dry.. she would cry, just so I could drink tears from her eyes.

Offline norecat

• Kopite
« Reply #763 on: January 18, 2024, 07:26:54 pm »
Stevie G's time in management will always have the title with Rangers to his name as proof of success. He should have stayed with Rangers when you consider they reached a European final. I can see why he took the Villa job but when you put the job Emery is doing it puts Stevie's time there in perspective.

Whilst he was handsomely rewarded for his time at Liverpool he was in effect a one club man if you discount his time in the US. I have great admiration for his time as a player. He is a legend. I wouldn't hammer him for going to Saudi. Henderson blotted his copybook in light of his LGBTQ support whilst a Liverpool player.

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #764 on: January 18, 2024, 07:33:26 pm »
He’s not a shit manager. He led Rangers to a title and was competent in the Villa job. Most definitely not up to snuff for a top job, but let’s not sway from a truthful analysis.

His big name makes him valuable in countries that need to raise their profile.

And I think when the Al ettifaq gig is up, he’d still be considered for lower half prem jobs and championship jobs. He’s well spoken, well presented and still commands respect in the game. Don’t take this to mean I’d want him near the Liverpool job ever.

Haha what? Gerrard at Villa was one of the most embarrassing tenures I have seen from a manager.

Emery has made him look like a complete prick.

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #765 on: January 18, 2024, 07:34:31 pm »
I don’t think anyone should temper their feelings about this. I’m outraged that a state can have a journalist murdered and imprison people spuriously for dissent or their sexuality. I’m further outraged by anyone that will shill for said country. Fuck him.

Fair enough mate. He is a complete sell out, it can't be denied.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #766 on: January 18, 2024, 07:43:56 pm »
Stevie G's time in management will always have the title with Rangers to his name as proof of success. He should have stayed with Rangers when you consider they reached a European final. I can see why he took the Villa job but when you put the job Emery is doing it puts Stevie's time there in perspective.

Whilst he was handsomely rewarded for his time at Liverpool he was in effect a one club man if you discount his time in the US. I have great admiration for his time as a player. He is a legend. I wouldn't hammer him for going to Saudi. Henderson blotted his copybook in light of his LGBTQ support whilst a Liverpool player.

So because he was a one man team once, it excuses going to Saudi does it? Wow, just wow.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Only Me

• Insufferable twat. Brexiteer supreme.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #767 on: January 18, 2024, 09:41:16 pm »
He's such a sellout.

Al Ettifaq basically needed some good English-related PR after Henderson bailed on them and Gerrard was more than happy to oblige. Bet he thought he was getting the chop when the call came though given their form.

Agree 100%

Offline Party Phil

• Boring Cunt that flies Air Bizarre
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #768 on: January 18, 2024, 09:42:33 pm »
He's such a sellout.

If you're lying, I'll chop your head off.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #769 on: January 18, 2024, 10:22:45 pm »
He's such a sellout.

The thought occurred when I heard he'd got the extension that he'd manipulated the Henderson situation and threatened to quit as well and they've come back with a new deal because it'd be a double blow to the Saudi brand. Chances are though they've just offered him the deal for their own PR and he's happy to oblige as it adds another zero to an inevitable pay out when he's sacked (although if I were him I wouldn't hold my breath on getting the full money off them if and when he is sacked).

I don't buy that he's got any intention of staying there another few years. He couldn't even get out of LA quick enough.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2024, 10:24:22 pm by Fromola »
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline thaddeus

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #770 on: January 18, 2024, 10:23:05 pm »
In a statement Gerrard, who is reported to be one of the best-paid managers in the world on a salary of about £15m, said: "This is very pleasing for myself and my family and feels like recognition for a lot of hard work and commitment.

"We had to put in place new infrastructure, like building a new training ground in phases and building a new stadium. But a lot has been achieved."
'kin hell, what a div.  Here was me thinking he'd been hired to manage the football team but he's actually paid £15m/year to project manage infrastructure upgrades.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #771 on: January 18, 2024, 10:27:01 pm »
new stadium infrastructure - fucking hell what a shill, have some self respect you weird loser Stevie, that's worse than doing PR for 'the GOAT (Ronaldo) as we call him'. New stadium so that they can double the empty seats to 30,000 per game!

Offline Dim Glas

• Die Nullfünfer.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Michael Sheen is the actual Prince of 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
« Reply #772 on: January 18, 2024, 10:27:59 pm »
He isn't being paid to manage a football team, he's being paid to con idiots into attending the WC.

Gerrard's there because he’s a Liverpool legend, that’s what interests them, and he’ll be after another Liverpool player in the summer. 

Online Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #773 on: January 18, 2024, 11:33:04 pm »
Gerrard's there because he’s a Liverpool legend, that’s what interests them, and he’ll be after another Liverpool player in the summer. 

I sniff a Nat Philips bid for £8m on a £100k per week contract. This sort of annoying bullshit seems in line with Al Ettifaq’s approach so far. No money spinning profits from them for us. Drab bids only.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline RedDeadRejection

• Kopite
« Reply #774 on: January 19, 2024, 04:24:55 am »
He genuinely looks like a gaming avatar rather than an actual human.

🤣🤣

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #775 on: January 19, 2024, 06:48:47 am »
2 year extension. He's going to be filthy rich.

https://twitter.com/David_Ornstein/status/1747938234728907256

He is an ambitious lad Stevie but his lifestyle is fairly modest for a footballer with his profile. I wonder if he’s going down the ownership route like Beckham.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #776 on: January 19, 2024, 01:55:11 pm »
He's saving up to one day buy Liverpool Football Club.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #777 on: January 19, 2024, 03:24:02 pm »
He's saving up to one day buy Liverpool Football Club.

It's bound to cross your mind isn't it?

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Saudi Arabian Regime bid with Gerrard as its smiling face though. If that ever happened I trust most Liverpool supporters would be intelligent and conscientious enough to stage massive and continuous protests
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #778 on: January 19, 2024, 03:32:32 pm »

I wouldn't be surprised to see a Saudi Arabian Regime bid with Gerrard as its smiling face though. If that ever happened I trust most Liverpool supporters would be intelligent and conscientious enough to stage massive and continuous protests

Perhaps that will be the only way people start talking about him still being in Saudi.

Offline dirkster

• Legacy Fan
  • Dirk Kuyt. Working Class hero
« Reply #779 on: January 19, 2024, 09:54:05 pm »

That thought has sent a shiver down my spine. He wouldn't be that stupid..... would he?!

Online BarryCrocker

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #780 on: January 19, 2024, 10:01:46 pm »
That thought has sent a shiver down my spine. He wouldn't be that stupid..... would he?!

Well he's very little chance of ever managing the club unless he's parachuted in by his current paymasters.
And all the world is football shaped, It's just for me to kick in space. And I can see, hear, smell, touch, taste.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #781 on: January 20, 2024, 11:39:50 am »
He was unfortunate not to win more but between 2005 and 2009 he was playing for one of the best teams in Europe under a manager who knew how to get the best out of him (none of his internationals managers did). Should have won at least one more CL and a league title just in that period. It's not like he was Le Tissier at Southampton or Shearer at Newcastle and never going to win anything.

That's a very odd way to look back on that era. Either it's so long ago that you've allowed your personal opinions on Gerrard's character to cloud your judgement, or you weren't much in to the game back then?

If you asked anyone with even a passing interest in football back then to make a nice, long list of the reasons we didn't win the league or another Champions League between 2005 and 2009, I think probably 95% of them would've put Gerrard at the bottom of it. We were 37 points behind Chelsea in 04/05, 9 behind them in 05/06 after a great finish (we were 13th after 10 games, never close to challenging), 21 points behind United in 06/07, 11 behind in 07/08 (5 wins and 5 draws after 10, again realistically never in the picture), and then finally we got close once in 08/09, while still needing to overturn a 7 point gap having played an extra game, in the run in.

We were a superb outfit in the Champions League, partly down to Rafa's tactical ability and certainly also because of the likes of Gerrard and Torres who were absolutely world class. But in terms of being one of the best teams in Europe? We never came close to having the consistency domestically. We challenged once in five years, got within 10 points twice, and you think a bloke who everyone in Europe was desperate to buy off us, who consistently made english and european teams of the year, nominated for all the top honours and who improved season on season, should look back on that time and think he should've done more?

The reality is we were miles off, we had next to no strength in depth, no firepower without Torres, a collection of bang average squad players being relied on to compete with the powerhouses that United and Chelsea were in that time. The one time I think you could say that we were truly one of the best teams in europe (not "on our day we could beat anyone" but actually, consistently, one of the best teams in Europe) is in that run between March and May 2009. But we'd given ourselves too much to do by then, we had that draw with Arsenal but even if we'd won every game in that run in it wasn't enough to turn around the gap United gained on us. 86 points was a fantastic effort in that time but it ultimately wasn't enough, and if you're pointing the finger anywhere, again, Gerrard is last on the list. United had Tevez, Berbatov, Rooney, Ronaldo. We missed Torres for 12 games with injury that year, essentially a third of the season, where our reply to that front line was Benayoun, Kuyt, Riera, Babel, Nabil el Zhar, Ngog and Robbie Keane, for half a season. We had cowboy owners failing to invest, and, if we're being totally honest above Gerrard, a manager who, other than those three incredibly exciting months, was never able to craft the team into one that consistently got results in the league.

Honestly, you sound like a United fan or someone incredibly desperate to slander Gerrard at any opportunity by describing him in that era in the way you have there. You go on to say he's not exactly an example of a one club man because you think he wanted to leave in 2010 and would've done if he didn't demand Benitez be sacked for Hodgson (which you don't know, either way), and then say he should've left for his own sake. Well he didn't leave, he stayed because of his love of the club and offered a little bit of shining light in the shitshow of an era that followed. While he could've been out in Madrid winning the lot. And that's somehow still a stick to beat him with.

What more did you want him to do? When did he let us down in that era? Big games he was always there. He scored in every possible final a club player could score in. He scored 16 from midfield in 08/08. What else should he have done? Clone himself? Invest a few hundred million on the squad depth we were crying out for? I'm intrigued what you think he failed to do.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 12:04:18 pm by alonsoisared »

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #782 on: January 20, 2024, 01:12:52 pm »
That's a very odd way to look back on that era. Either it's so long ago that you've allowed your personal opinions on Gerrard's character to cloud your judgement, or you weren't much in to the game back then?

If you asked anyone with even a passing interest in football back then to make a nice, long list of the reasons we didn't win the league or another Champions League between 2005 and 2009, I think probably 95% of them would've put Gerrard at the bottom of it. We were 37 points behind Chelsea in 04/05, 9 behind them in 05/06 after a great finish (we were 13th after 10 games, never close to challenging), 21 points behind United in 06/07, 11 behind in 07/08 (5 wins and 5 draws after 10, again realistically never in the picture), and then finally we got close once in 08/09, while still needing to overturn a 7 point gap having played an extra game, in the run in.

We were a superb outfit in the Champions League, partly down to Rafa's tactical ability and certainly also because of the likes of Gerrard and Torres who were absolutely world class. But in terms of being one of the best teams in Europe? We never came close to having the consistency domestically. We challenged once in five years, got within 10 points twice, and you think a bloke who everyone in Europe was desperate to buy off us, who consistently made english and european teams of the year, nominated for all the top honours and who improved season on season, should look back on that time and think he should've done more?

The reality is we were miles off, we had next to no strength in depth, no firepower without Torres, a collection of bang average squad players being relied on to compete with the powerhouses that United and Chelsea were in that time. The one time I think you could say that we were truly one of the best teams in europe (not "on our day we could beat anyone" but actually, consistently, one of the best teams in Europe) is in that run between March and May 2009. But we'd given ourselves too much to do by then, we had that draw with Arsenal but even if we'd won every game in that run in it wasn't enough to turn around the gap United gained on us. 86 points was a fantastic effort in that time but it ultimately wasn't enough, and if you're pointing the finger anywhere, again, Gerrard is last on the list. United had Tevez, Berbatov, Rooney, Ronaldo. We missed Torres for 12 games with injury that year, essentially a third of the season, where our reply to that front line was Benayoun, Kuyt, Riera, Babel, Nabil el Zhar, Ngog and Robbie Keane, for half a season. We had cowboy owners failing to invest, and, if we're being totally honest above Gerrard, a manager who, other than those three incredibly exciting months, was never able to craft the team into one that consistently got results in the league.

Honestly, you sound like a United fan or someone incredibly desperate to slander Gerrard at any opportunity by describing him in that era in the way you have there. You go on to say he's not exactly an example of a one club man because you think he wanted to leave in 2010 and would've done if he didn't demand Benitez be sacked for Hodgson (which you don't know, either way), and then say he should've left for his own sake. Well he didn't leave, he stayed because of his love of the club and offered a little bit of shining light in the shitshow of an era that followed. While he could've been out in Madrid winning the lot. And that's somehow still a stick to beat him with.

What more did you want him to do? When did he let us down in that era? Big games he was always there. He scored in every possible final a club player could score in. He scored 16 from midfield in 08/08. What else should he have done? Clone himself? Invest a few hundred million on the squad depth we were crying out for? I'm intrigued what you think he failed to do.

The post you quoted says he was unfortunate not to have won more, not at fault for the club not winning more. Chill out.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #783 on: January 20, 2024, 01:28:13 pm »
You could put a chicken in charge of Rangers or Celtic and still have a 50/50 chance of winning the league. Especially with the right backroom staff, as Gerrard had. He did well in Scotland, no denying it, but its a low bar.

The Saudi league is arguably much worse and Gerrard is doing crud. Six wins and 28 points behind the leaders. He's basically the Saudi version of Hodgson at Palace. You only have to look at where Emery has Villa to see how much Gerrard underachieved there.

I don't know what kind of profile he is giving to Al Ettifaq in particular, or the Saudi League in general. The only reason we talk about him is because he's ex-LFC. It would probably just look even more comically bad for them if they fucked Gerrard off as well as Henderson after a matter of months. They'll be expecting a big improvement from him.
Liverpool sells papers and any news relating to how he's doing over there will have the "Liverpool legend" tag. So, it's gives them more exposure.

Offline alonsoisared

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #784 on: January 20, 2024, 02:27:29 pm »
The post you quoted says he was unfortunate not to have won more, not at fault for the club not winning more. Chill out.

"He was playing for one of the best teams in Europe under a manager who knew how to get the best out of him (none of his internationals managers did). Should have won at least one more CL and a league title just in that period. It's not like he was Le Tissier at Southampton or Shearer at Newcastle and never going to win anything."

I think it's quite clear what he's getting at but maybe I'm wrong. Perfectly chill, either way 👍

Offline rscanderlech

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #785 on: January 20, 2024, 03:49:41 pm »

I couldn’t be bothered to keep going, but I wanted to make the gist of your point before: we were underdogs, and we didn’t underachieve at all in 2005-2009. Barcelona, Man United, Chelsea, AC Milan were all ridiculous during those periods. The only year that we came second and were in a real title race was 2009, when Man United beat us to it with Ronaldo and Rooney up front and outstanding depth to their team.

Gerrard routinely played for Liverpool in the period before and after with players like El Hadji Diouf, Ryan Babel, Florent Sinama Pongolle, Anthony Le Tallec, Bruno Cheyrou, Djibril Cisse, Jermaine Pennant, Stewart Downing and so on and so forth. Where peak Man United had Ronaldo and Nani, we had Zenden or Riera maybe and Kuyt. I won’t bother doing that for every team, but the idea that we were on the same level as those squads is wrong.

Gerrard was not at Southampton or Newcastle but he was certainly being disappointed regularly by the players accompanying him in his peak years. Peak Benitez, we had a top starting line up except some weakness out wide, but very poor depth. We were always underdogs for titles. He could have left under Houllier, the bad part of the Benitez years, Hodgson, under Dalglish/Rodgers, but didn’t until he was 35

The idea that his loyalty counts for nothing is either emotional revisionism because people aren’t happy with him now, or just plain ungrateful.

If you are going mention the bad, don’t deny the good.

Edit: I didnt read your whole post unt now, and I see that you have gone into better detail correcting the idea that Gerrard had no reason to move for titles as we were just as good as these other teams. As you say, it was a short window that the thing can even be suggested, ie 2008-9.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2024, 04:01:13 pm by rscanderlech »

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #786 on: January 20, 2024, 04:01:55 pm »
Well he's very little chance of ever managing the club unless he's parachuted in by his current paymasters.

owner/manager.

Yeah, he is that dumb, and yeah, unfortunately there are enough LFC supporters who would welcome him (and them) with open arms.

Sportswashers love a long game.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #787 on: January 20, 2024, 05:36:21 pm »
owner/manager.

Yeah, he is that dumb, and yeah, unfortunately there are enough LFC supporters who would welcome him (and them) with open arms.

Sportswashers love a long game.

Is sadly right.

Offline Party Phil

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Big in Japan
« Reply #788 on: January 20, 2024, 06:19:27 pm »

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #789 on: January 20, 2024, 06:23:45 pm »
‘Many are discontented’: Aymeric Laporte lifts lid on life in Saudi football

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2024/jan/20/many-are-discontented-aymeric-laporte-lifts-lid-on-life-in-saudi-football

Hang on while I look for my tiny violin.
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #790 on: January 20, 2024, 09:29:38 pm »
the few saudi fans that go to games rarely seem arsed with the football, but they love a good whistle (last seen when they jeered and whistled through the minute's silence for Beckenbauer. I bet there'll be a coordinated effort for Laporte to be jeered every game he plays with a crowd of 50+ people

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #791 on: January 20, 2024, 09:37:47 pm »
Fucking laughable that Laporte said it was more than just the money they were expecting and then questions how good Riyadh is. It’s a shit hole, as is the whole nation, run by a scum bag ruling family. I know footballers are fucking dumb but surely they would have asked what the place is like or at least tried to find out a bit?

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #792 on: January 20, 2024, 09:54:30 pm »

Thanks for striking the fear into me.

Fucking hell, that lot are one of the few rich enough to be able to buy this club. Topped with Gerrard cosying up to these bloodthirsty murderers, I wouldn't be surprised if its an aim for him to be indeed parachuted into managing this club.

Fuck Gerrard, and fuck them.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #793 on: January 21, 2024, 03:07:00 am »

We don't need them in any way, shape or form. The club can run itself.

Offline RedKenWah

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #794 on: January 21, 2024, 07:56:52 am »

That’s not a one team player then is it  ;D

Also you can’t say Stevie G is immune and then call out Henderson, they’re bother as bad as each other no other way to spin it.

His managerial career has been mixed at best, really he should have stayed at Rangers where he would be building up a decent reputation as a manager, but instead he tried chasing the quick win route by going to Villa where his tenure was… well I think Villa are in a better place with Uni Emery and now his latest stint at Saudi… well that is the final nail in his managerial career. He’s certainly not fit to be Liverpool’s manager let’s put it that way.

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #795 on: January 21, 2024, 09:08:11 am »
If Gerrard could have stepped into the future and read this thread, he would have realised that no matter how loyal you are to any club the fans will be quick to turn when you have outlived your usefulness.  I wonder what Trent thinks of all this? He is playing in a position that helps the club when he could potentially be playing next to Bellingham in midfield for Real Madrid.

Online Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #796 on: January 21, 2024, 09:37:57 am »
I wonder what Trent thinks of all this? He is playing in a position that helps the club when he could potentially be playing next to Bellingham in midfield for Real Madrid.

And they say nurses have it tough.

Offline thejbs

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #797 on: January 21, 2024, 11:26:12 am »
If Gerrard could have stepped into the future and read this thread, he would have realised that no matter how loyal you are to any club the fans will be quick to turn when you decide to trade on your status as a Liverpool legend in order to make millions from a murderous, despotic regime’s sportswashing project.

Fixed.

Offline surfer. Fuck you generator.

• surgood. As good as Suarez but CBA to play for us. Takes it on the chin and never holds a pointless grudge for several months.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #798 on: January 21, 2024, 11:54:58 am »
If Gerrard could have stepped into the future and read this thread, he would have realised that no matter how loyal you are to any club the fans will be quick to turn when you have outlived your usefulness.  I wonder what Trent thinks of all this? He is playing in a position that helps the club when he could potentially be playing next to Bellingham in midfield for Real Madrid.

His actions as a player are on the record, nothing changes the reality there. Same as for everyone.

People will have their takes on what's going on now, these are two separate things. Not everyone's seeing this and going "You're dead to me, you were the chosen one, how could you" with a quivering lip and glistening eyes. We're just not as vocal.

Are the Saudis an issue in various areas? Yep. Are the footballers taking their money an issue and is there a pathway there, to improve things in areas that matter by boycotting their offers, or anything related? Can't see it.
The strikes, the leverage have to be on a nation-state and economic level.
Anyway, if you pay attention to the oil markets, from where new supply is coming, the amount..then it's clear within our lifetimes OPEC+ 's control will end, it will be a much freer market, and by the mid - 2030s, the hydrogen economy will become relevant.
As long as a strong, reasonably precise USA exists, ie non- Trumpian, these things will happen. After that, you will have all the leverage you want over the likes of Saudi, because they will need access to Western capital markets,  access to their own investments (which are mainly in the developed economies) and expertise as they have built up nothing and build nothing.

Have at it then. This is a non issue, they are already finished, just detail playing out, under most scenarios. Far more pressing matters that are 'live', and in the balance.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2024, 12:09:32 pm by surfer. Fuck you generator. »

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #799 on: January 21, 2024, 12:57:54 pm »
And they say nurses have it tough.

He doesn’t have it tough but why should he sign a new contract?  He could get a Bosman and go to Real Madrid. If the fans turn on Gerrard but give Firmino and Fowler a much easier ride what’s the point? Just look after yourself.