Author Topic: BBC Sport - Pick your all-time Liverpool XI  (Read 8524 times)

Offline ToneLa

• you know the rules but I make the game.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I AM FURIOUS, RED (STILL)
Re: BBC Sport - Pick your all-time Liverpool XI
« Reply #120 on: May 27, 2022, 07:22:13 pm »
Jose Enrique

Jose Enrique again, Julian Dicks, Nicky Tanner, Cisokkho

Spearing, Poulsen, Ferri

Markovic, Borini
Balotelli

Offline Lotus Eater

• "The first picture of you! The first picture of summer. See the flowers scream their joy!" Father of Water Melon Eater.
  • Kopite
  • Yer Ma wears army boots
« Reply #121 on: May 27, 2022, 08:02:33 pm »
-------------- Clemence------------

Nicol     Hansen     Van Dijk      Robertson

Liddel     Gerrard     Souness       Barnes

----------- Dalglish    Rush -------------
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 08:39:44 pm by Lotus Eater »
11 September 1999 - Slater Street. 2 beers, a packet of crisps and a truncheon please.

Offline put the wheelie bins out

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #122 on: May 27, 2022, 11:25:18 pm »
Whenever these all-time Liverpool X1's are picked a player who very rarely gets picked or mentioned is - Kevin Keegan (Mighty Mouse). I don't know if it's because he played for us from 71 - 77 and people 'forget' about him or maybe there is still a bit of acrimony over the way he left us for SV Hamburg  but i thought he was absolutely superb for Liverpool. He was our 'star' player from 72 - 77 (during which we won the 1st div 3 times in 73, 76 and 77) and his performances were consistently 'good' and he almost always produced performances when it really mattered: he was superb in the FA cup final win in 74, UEFA cup final wins in 73 and 76 and the European cup final win in 77 (he really was world class that night when he ran poor Bertie Vogts ragged who 3 years previously had successfully man marked the great Johan Cruyff in the 74 World Cup Final). In my opinion the way he performed for Liverpool he definitely deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as other 'greats'. He really was that good for Liverpool and he also won the ballon d'or twice in 78 and 79 (though admittedly he was at SV Hamburg at the time).

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #123 on: May 27, 2022, 11:39:26 pm »
Whenever these all-time Liverpool X1's are picked a player who very rarely gets picked or mentioned is - Kevin Keegan (Mighty Mouse). I don't know if it's because he played for us from 71 - 77 and people 'forget' about him or maybe there is still a bit of acrimony over the way he left us for SV Hamburg  but i thought he was absolutely superb for Liverpool. He was our 'star' player from 72 - 77 (during which we won the 1st div 3 times in 73, 76 and 77) and his performances were consistently 'good' and he almost always produced performances when it really mattered: he was superb in the FA cup final win in 74, UEFA cup final wins in 73 and 76 and the European cup final win in 77 (he really was world class that night when he ran poor Bertie Vogts ragged who 3 years previously had successfully man marked the great Johan Cruyff in the 74 World Cup Final). In my opinion the way he performed for Liverpool he definitely deserves to be mentioned in the same breath as other 'greats'. He really was that good for Liverpool and he also won the ballon d'or twice in 78 and 79 (though admittedly he was at SV Hamburg at the time).

Keegan's problem in terms of getting into an all-time 11 is that Kenny came in as his replacement and was quite simply levels above Keegan.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline redmark

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #124 on: May 28, 2022, 01:04:44 am »
In one sense, Kevin Keegan is the reason I support Liverpool: born in the same village, my uncle (a few years younger than Keegan, early teens when I was born) supported us, along with most of the rest of the village I suspect. My mum went on a date with Keegan, once, when he was just starting out at Scunthorpe. Ok, it was a double date and it was her mate who was with him, but still...

The first two games I saw were his farewell in the 77 Cup Finals. I've seen clips, compilations, the odd game highlight package, but not enough to really force him into an all time XI. And I can't imagine suddenly being granted a full history of his performances for Liverpool would elevate him to the vision, elegance and sheer brilliance of Dalglish - who is the main reason for my attachment to the club in the formative years after that; the first and biggest 'favourite player', whose iconic image has been my profile image on and off all over the internet and the only real bit of football art in the house and whose song I still tap out to calm my nerves in the biggest, most tense games. Like tomorrow's. Tonight's!

I guess I've seen just enough to have Keegan in consideration for a 433 along with the long list of other superb forwards we've had - Fowler, Torres, Suarez, Mane, Salah, a couple of other possibilities - for the position not filled by Dalglish and Rush. But like several of the older posters in here, I suppose I'd revert to the 4411/4231, to pick an XI; and there are really only two names for the forwards in that side, in my era.

Anyway, a bit of reminiscing after watching a repeat of the 2018 ITV programme about 77/78...
Stop whining : https://spiritofshankly.com/ : https://thefsa.org.uk/join/ : https://reclaimourgame.com/
The focus now should not be on who the owners are, but limits on what owners can do without formal supporter agreement. At all clubs.

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #125 on: May 28, 2022, 02:01:36 am »
Its not doable, this puzzle. we need 18 or 22. Crazy trying to whittle that down to 11.

Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Red Dane

• Kopite
  • Probinate nobis similibusque
« Reply #126 on: May 31, 2022, 12:31:43 am »
Clemence, Nicol, Hansen, VVD, Riise, Mølby, Gerrard, Souness, Dalglish, Rush, Barnes.
Every power draws its ultimate consequences at every moment. Supposing that this also is only interpretation-and you will be eager enough to make this objection?-well, so much the better. (Nietzsche; Beyond Good & Evil, p. 30-31).

Offline NarutoReds

• Looking for an alcohol-fuelled sixsome with Crosby Nick, Ghost Town, WhereAngelsPlay, Charlie Adams fried egg and Al 666. Any takers?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Saw Everton - "I'd shut the curtains..."
« Reply #127 on: January 4, 2023, 07:02:34 am »
Clemence,

Neal, Hansen, Van Dijk, Hughes,

Keegan, Gerrard, Souness,

Barnes, Dalglish, Hunt.
It's there to remind our lads who they're playing for and to remind the opposition who they're playing against!

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #128 on: January 4, 2023, 01:51:51 pm »
Emlyn Hughes at left back is a big shout.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #129 on: January 4, 2023, 02:56:22 pm »

The first two games I saw were his farewell in the 77 Cup Finals.

I guess I've seen just enough to have Keegan in consideration for a 433 along with the long list of other superb forwards we've had

Paisley changed to 4-3-3 for the 77 FA Cup Final. It cost us the match, FA Cup and the treble.

Four days later we went back to 4-4-2 and battered Munchengladbach.

Stick to 4-4-2 and put Keegan on the bench.
With me 3 star jumper half way up me back!

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #130 on: January 4, 2023, 02:58:04 pm »
Emlyn Hughes at left back is a big shout.

He could play anywhere in defence or midfield, bit like Lawrenson or Smith. All hard to leave out.

Offline rhysd

• Kopite
  • Igor
« Reply #131 on: January 4, 2023, 07:10:46 pm »
Clemence

Nicol
Hansen
Van Dijk
Hughes

Liddell
Souness
Gerrard
Barnes

Dalglish
Rush
20 and 7

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #132 on: January 4, 2023, 08:23:57 pm »
Going to pick a Liverpool First team who are going to see if they are good enough to beat my reserve 11

....... ..Clemence
Neal Hansen Virgil Hughes (good shout)
Gerrard.. Liddell Souness Barnes
......Rush Kenny

V

........ Alisson
Trent Yeats Smith Robertson
Liddell Alonso Kennedy
Salah Fowler Suarez

You could pick a third team that probably would beat the current Arsenal side 5-0 after they had a pregame drink or ten

I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline SvenJohansen

• Fast single-handed action expert.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #133 on: January 4, 2023, 09:38:31 pm »
In my lifetime:

Allison

Alex-Arnold
Hyppia
Van Dijk
Robertson

Gerrard
Alonso
Barnes

Salah
Rush
Fowler
I feel a little strange inside
A little bit of Jekyll, a little Mr. Hyde

Offline Billy Elliot

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #134 on: January 4, 2023, 10:11:09 pm »
Going to pick a Liverpool First team who are going to see if they are good enough to beat my reserve 11

....... ..Clemence
Neal Hansen Virgil Hughes (good shout)
Gerrard.. Liddell Souness Barnes
......Rush Kenny

V

........ Alisson
Trent Yeats Smith Robertson
Liddell Alonso Kennedy
Salah Fowler Suarez

You could pick a third team that probably would beat the current Arsenal side 5-0 after they had a pregame drink or ten

I'll pick a third team

Lawrence

Jones (Joey) Thompson  Hypia Kennedy (Alan)

Heighway Callaghan McDermott Case

Hunt  Keegan

Offline number 168

• Bootle - Aigburth Vale. Mon-Sat evenings, Sundays & Bank Holidays only. Arl fart clearly past his sell-his-season-ticket-by-date.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #135 on: January 4, 2023, 10:33:15 pm »
On players I have seen play for us, and the best team as opposed to the best players per se:

Clemence
Nicol
Hansen
VVD
Hughes
Case
McDermott
Souness
R. Kennedy
Dalglish
Rush

Hard to leave Digger out but that is the best midfield I have seen from any club,
« Last Edit: January 4, 2023, 10:35:13 pm by number 168 »

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #136 on: January 4, 2023, 11:00:23 pm »
Jones Joey

I used to love watching Joey and his antics from the paddock but I think he'd struggle on the right.
You could have Chris Lawler who to be fair to him is up there with any of our right sided players

Offline faisfais

• Kopite
« Reply #137 on: January 4, 2023, 11:00:31 pm »
My frame of reference starts in 1984.. but this line-up will look like recency bias.

Allison
Trent AA - VanDijk - Hansen - Robertson
Mascherano - Alonso - Wijnaldum
Salah - Suarez - Mane

Offline Onward Liverpudlian

• Kopite
« Reply #138 on: January 4, 2023, 11:24:17 pm »
Clemence;

Neal, Lawrenson, Hansen, Emlyn Hughes,

Gerrard, McDermott, Souness (C), Kennedy R,

Rush, Dalglish.

Subs; Allison, Nicol, Van Djik, Hyppia, Kennedy A (needed esp for CL finals), Salah, Molby, Barnes, Suarez, Mane and Keegan.

Would blow every other clubs best teams out of the water.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #139 on: January 4, 2023, 11:48:11 pm »
I'll pick a third team

Lawrence

Jones (Joey) Thompson  Hypia Kennedy (Alan)

Heighway Callaghan McDermott Case

Hunt  Keegan

That side has class everywhere. Callaghan could be in any best 11 ever. The legends i didn't pick.... Shameful
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #140 on: January 5, 2023, 01:14:51 am »
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI