Author Topic: A Moment In Time - January 1st 1966  (Read 711 times)

Offline teine

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
A Moment In Time - January 1st 1966
« on: January 21, 2024, 12:40:11 pm »
You'd think there would be nothing left to say about the history of Liverpool FC in the sixties. With the books and DVDs that already exist you could fill a bookshelf, and that's before you consider all the online material, such as the History Board on this forum.

But actually, I think we've only scratched the surface.

Compare football and music. If you look at websites devoted to artists such as The Beatles or Bob Dylan you will find a level of historical detail and analysis way beyond anything on football sites. And it's not just the niche sites either. Look at the Guardian or New York Times - they still give massive coverage to any minor discovery - a Lennon photo unearthed in an attic; a Dylan outtake presumed lost but now restored.

It's not that those artists don't deserve that level of scrutiny. Anyone who saw the Beatles' recent Get Back documentary will know just how engrossing it can be to watch eight hours' footage of four blokes stuck in a room. It's like watching history being made in real time.

But how about Liverpool in the 60s? Does anyone think Shankly's team is any less deserving of such attention? If you do, you are welcome to stop reading at this point.

I believe that the deeper you delve into those extraordinary times, and the more context you can provide, the more interesting the story gets.

This post is actually a response to a fine comment from 'Timbo's Goals' on the recent thread about Gordon Milne. It was such a good post that I thought it deserved a full response. He wrote that one of his favourite memories of Gordon was when he 'somehow got his head on a shot and directed it into the Kop goal to clinch victory against United on our way to winning the league in 65/66 season'.

I decided to look at that moment in more detail.

January 1st 1966

The first thing to say is that hardly anyone in the ground knew that it was Milne who'd scored. This was the headline in the Football Echo that evening:

It was only in the reports in the following days that the truth became clear. If you go to the British Newspaper Archives (a subscription service, unfortunately) you find this:

The caption reads 'The scene on Saturday as Gordon Milne makes his headed flick, and his delight when the ball hits the net' (the match report below those pictures, though not the pictures themselves, can be found on the wonderful lfchistory site).

If we zoom in on those pics, we can see those moments more clearly:

i) The flick:

It shows you that Gerry Byrne's shot didn't just deflect off him - it's a deliberate movement. In a fraction of a second, Gordon was able to adjust his body position, stooping to make the right contact. Also in the picture, with the old Main Stand gable in the background, is the United number 3 and captain Noel Cantwell, and our number 8, Roger Hunt. There is also one other United player between Milne and Cantwell, whose identity is uncertain.

ii) The delight:

Such a great expression on Gordon's face. And now we can see that other United player more clearly. It's 19 year-old George Best, before he grew his hair long.

Now have a look at this close up of Harry Gregg's dive:

There's a copper walking in front of the paddock, but what are those letters and numbers? Younger readers may be unfamiliar with the old half time scoreboard. In the programme there would be a list of the day's fixtures, each with a letter code, and using those letters, you could see what the half time scores were. This is from the programme that day:

The scores you can see in matches B and E would have been of particular interest. Here's the League table before the match, once again taken from the programme:

In match B, Burnley were one up at Blackburn through Willie Irvine - the man who would finish the season joint top scorer in Division One, with 29 goals - the same as Roger Hunt.  In match E, Leeds were one up at home to Sheffield United with a truly historic goal. 17 year-old Eddie Gray was making his debut that day, and he put Leeds ahead with a shot from 25 yards.

Those scores help us understand just what kind of outpouring of joy would have greeted Milne's header - we knew we desperately needed a winner, not just to beat United, but to stop our other rivals gaining ground in the title race. In the end, both Burnley and Leeds increased their leads to win 2-0 and 3-0 respectively.

So that's the photos. But look at this report from the Echo on the Monday afternoon:

What? A TV camera?? 

If you look at the TV schedules, you see that Match of the Day was on at 10. 05 pm on Saturday night - but that featured the game between Sheffield United and Northampton Town.  On ITV the following day was 'World of Soccer'. Highlights must have been shown there. The only problem is, there is no footage online - anywhere. Were the tapes wiped? Re-used? Disposed of? If so, it's doubly sad for those interested in Gordon's career.

When I was speaking to him recently about his book we talked about the fact that there appears to be no surviving footage of any of the goals he scored - the 17 he got for Liverpool, or the 11 for other clubs. Wouldn't it be great if we could locate the footage of that United game and show it to him? Who knows, maybe the Guardian could run an article on it.

So there's a lot to say about that one moment in time. And it's not just that moment. You could dive deep into any match that season - or any season - and you would end up going down the rabbit hole, with the story taking on more and more layers. Then different stories start overlapping and it gets kaleidoscopic. If you've read Mark Lewisohn's Beatles book you'll know what I mean. The whole point of this post is to suggest that Liverpool FC history repays close analysis in just the same way. If you agree, tell me below and I'll post some more stuff like this - or better still, use your own research to tell us about other moments. The History Board has been a bit quiet recently.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 06:44:14 am by teine »

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: A Moment In Time - January 1st 1966
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2024, 12:49:59 pm »
Another great post, cheers mate.

On the subject of TV cameras, something those used to football today will struggle to understand, is that for those of us who were going the game in the 60's (not me, I was born Dec 66) 70's or 80's, we all well know that hundreds of great goals scored by Liverpool players and the opposition, we're never captured on TV film, just on photographs. I've said before, if I didn't come into the Anny past the Main stand car park or pass through it getting to the Kop, first thing I did was look to the gantry to see if we were on telly - if the cameras weren't there, you knew if you missed a goal, that was it. I distinctly remember Kenny scoring v Arsenal and me missing it as the Kop surged as he broke into the area and we all tumbled forwards and then exploded as it hit the net, I never saw the actual shot.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline scouse neapolitan

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2024, 05:30:53 am »
Another great post teine lad. Where've you been all these years?
Following on from Kavah, and all those lost goals. Can anyone else remember the Phil Boersma beauty he scored against Stoke in the early 70s? 73 or 74 I think.
It's still in my head but I've never seen it again despite searching for it on YouTube over the years. I seem to remember that he dragged the ball back à la Puskas and then beat another defender before slotting it home. At least in my foggy memory it was. This has to be one of the best goals I remember seeing at Anfield.
Thanks for the great memories all of you. That's what life's about.

Online duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2024, 07:16:55 am »
As SN says another great post.

I’m not old enough to remember this stuff but I appreciate learning and finding out V about it.

Even as a kid in the eighties I can recall most of the time finding out scores and match details from the paper - certainly from midweek games anyway. So different to the wall to wall coverage of everything and anything related nowadays

"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline kavah

• the Blacksmith. Definitely NOT from Blackpool!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2024, 09:00:20 am »

...Can anyone else remember the Phil Boersma beauty he scored against Stoke in the early 70s? 73 or 74 I think.

It's still in my head but I've never seen it again despite searching for it on YouTube over the years. I seem to remember that he dragged the ball back à la Puskas and then beat another defender before slotting it home. At least in my foggy memory it was. This has to be one of the best goals I remember seeing at Anfield.

No ... But the really quite amazing chaps at LFC history have this search engine. I've done it already but you can input the details - and then click on the result to read about the game stats and look at some of the write ups  :)

https://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/PlayerGoalSearch

Spoiler
Alan Dunn writing in the Guardian does mention it, and it sounds, like you say, a real cracker, although the writer is more interested in emphasizing Cally's domination of Hudson and his fancy-dan passing  ;D
[close]

Offline teine

• Main Stander
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2024, 08:32:39 pm »
On the subject of goals not on TV, this was always my favourite:

Liverpool v Aston Villa, November 1980. I wasn't there and the match wasn't televised. Villa were top of the League but we won with  two Dalglish goals. I was 15 at the time and I must have read this report from Frank McGhee in the Mirror about 20 times, just imagining how it might have looked:

« Last Edit: January 22, 2024, 08:39:08 pm by teine »

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 10:13:52 pm »
No ... But the really quite amazing chaps at LFC history have this search engine. I've done it already but you can input the details - and then click on the result to read about the game stats and look at some of the write ups  :)

https://www.lfchistory.net/SeasonArchive/PlayerGoalSearch

Spoiler
Alan Dunn writing in the Guardian does mention it, and it sounds, like you say, a real cracker, although the writer is more interested in emphasizing Cally's domination of Hudson and his fancy-dan passing  ;D
[close]

Thanks Kavah mate. Really appreciate that.
While we're walking down memory lane just wanted to share something else with you. By the way, forgive me  I go on about the old brigade stuff. I just want it to be chucked into our collective memory capsule!
Anyway, in the late 60s early 70s, well I was 8 in 1968, it wasn't always that easy to find out what the Reds were doing if it was a night match( or the blues- my ma was a Big Blue...God love her!) There was no Radio 5 or Radio Merseyside,though BBC Radio 2 used to have the commentary for the big games.
 But if it was a Tuesday or Wednesday night and we were away at say Leicester, Mum and I would phone the operator to find out the score. Dad was usually at the away matches( the reacheable ones).I don't know if the operator exists anymore!
' Hello, can I help you?"
You were supposed to ask for someone's phone number after giving their address. But I used to squeak in my 8-year-old voice.
"Can you tell me L'pool's score please?"
And they promptly gave the info.
Happy days! Hope it brought back a memory for someone.

Offline teine

• Main Stander
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2024, 07:57:43 am »
Following on from Kavah, and all those lost goals. Can anyone else remember the Phil Boersma beauty he scored against Stoke in the early 70s? 73 or 74 I think.
Thanks for the great memories all of you. That's what life's about.

Never heard about that Boersma goal before - bit before my time. It got me interested. Here's a few things I found:

From the Football Echo:

From the Daily Post on Monday:

From the Echo on Monday:

The Echo also had this great atmospheric silhouette of Heighway's goal that day:

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2024, 12:23:55 pm »
Thanks for that Teine.