Author Topic: MATCH PREVIEW – Arsenal FC vs Liverpool FC, Sunday Jan. 7, 2024 – 4:30PM  (Read 17081 times)

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
did us losing at Chelsea in the FA cup give them a big boost (and harm us) in March 2020?

did us winning our 3rd round (replay) last season give us a boost in the league?

That was Chelsea and they are in the shit.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
The domestic cups were more fun when they were more unpredictable. Now its mostly the same teams playing for a cup that they care less about than the league.

It's so absurd that the FA cup still has replays and the league cup has double semis. Isnt it bad enough to have two domestic cups?

Just bin the league cup and scrap the FA cup replays

Agree with the first line, I love the league cup as well though so I wouldn't want them to get rid of that.

This is actually the last season of 2 legged league cup semi finals, interesting to see whether they go for neutral venues for the semi finals or just let the draw decide the home team. Neutral venues would be boss as they surely wouldn't use Wembley for midweek league cup semi finals, could be a return to the old days of trips to places like Villa Park for a Semi-Final which I would be all for.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
probably the second best chance ;)
So we play a weakened team to ensure we lose as that’s better than drawing and less risky than playing a strong team and trying to win?

Not convinced :)
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
Think we go fairly strong, but some players like say Trent or Gomez will be getting a set amount of minutes no matter what the score.

Kelleher, Bradley, Quansah, Van Dijk, Gomez, Mac Allister, Gravenberch, Elliott, Diaz, Nunez, Gakpo is my guess to start.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
Or the more reason to get the job done then. We can go weaker next round.

You mean the round we're drawn against Chelsea away? ;D

I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
So we play a weakened team to ensure we lose as that’s better than drawing and less risky than playing a strong team and trying to win?

You've also got to take into account its the first game without Salah as well. If we lose that will be the next headline, we can't win without Salah in the side. Which is why a win is important as it gives the players belief from the start.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
You mean the round we're drawn against Chelsea away? ;D

We'd probably still win against them, anyway.  ;)

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
The domestic cups were more fun when they were more unpredictable. Now its mostly the same teams playing for a cup that they care less about than the league.

It's so absurd that the FA cup still has replays and the league cup has double semis. Isnt it bad enough to have two domestic cups?

i much prefer the league cup to the fa cup these days. better fixture times, autumn/early winter evenings (not bland late winter) and it doesnt suffer delusions of grandeur (or pathetic hype jobs from the likes of the bbc). the other side to the coin is that klopp doesn't have to take pass agg grief from bbc etc for 'disrespecting' the fa cup for treating it as it should be. the league cup games are just more fun, and it's great to see our young players trialing having more responsibility
That was Chelsea and they are in the shit.
arsenal have 1 win in 5. and anyway that was chelsea in march 2020. they were 4th at the time. beating us didn't seem to boost their league form (they finished 4th) or harm our title win.

understand it's not a preference, but the logic is correct right?

playing a weakened team - which is usually Klopp's preference, last year aside (when we desperately tried and failed to play the first team into some form) - is a more effective way to minimise the risk of a replay than going as strong as possible. unless Arsenal go really weak that is, in which case - it'd be advantage arsenal in terms of winter break/recovery (especially if one or more of ours get an injury/suspension).

also keeping players out from competitive games is more effective way to minimise injury/suspension risk than playing them.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
We'd probably still win against them, anyway.  ;)

True enough. ;D

Popcorn's Art

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
Agree with the first line, I love the league cup as well though so I wouldn't want them to get rid of that.

This is actually the last season of 2 legged league cup semi finals, interesting to see whether they go for neutral venues for the semi finals or just let the draw decide the home team. Neutral venues would be boss as they surely wouldn't use Wembley for midweek league cup semi finals, could be a return to the old days of trips to places like Villa Park for a Semi-Final which I would be all for.
Yeah, neutral venues is another stupid idea that should be scrapped. A charm of the domestic cups for a team like Liverpool is when we play a smaller club for whom this game is the highlight of the season.

I would turn the league cup into an under-21 cup or something like that.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
i much prefer the league cup to the fa cup these days. better fixture times, autumn/early winter evenings (not bland late winter) and it doesnt suffer delusions of grandeur (or pathetic hype jobs from the likes of the bbc). the other side to the coin is that klopp doesn't have to take pass agg grief from bbc etc for 'disrespecting' the fa cup for treating it as it should be. the league cup games are just more fun, and it's great to see our young players trialing having more responsibility arsenal have 1 win in 5. and anyway that was chelsea in march 2020. they were 4th at the time. beating us didn't seem to boost their league form (they finished 4th) or harm our title win.understand it's not a preference, but the logic is correct right?

playing a weakened team - which is usually Klopp's preference, last year aside (when we desperately tried and failed to play the first team into some form) - is a more effective way to minimise the risk of a replay than going as strong as possible. unless Arsenal go really weak that is, in which case - it'd be advantage arsenal in terms of winter break/recovery (especially if one or more of ours get an injury/suspension).

also keeping players out from competitive games is more effective way to minimise injury/suspension risk than playing them.

It would be such an awkward time to get a defeat the first game after Salah has left for AFCOC. You know what the headlines will be then, it will also increase the pressure on Nunez. If you end up with a break the last thing you want is to go out with a whimper. I'd sooner we go out on a good vain of form. But we just see it differently I guess.  :D

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to

The FA are useless though, the League Cup is a better structured competition.

3rd round weekend comes off the back of a million games in December and then first weekend in Jan you've got the FA Cup and more all-PL ties and they still get picked for TV coverage.

The FA Cup needs to:

scrap replays - they're a relic in an overcrowded calendar. Most clubs in any draw will not want a replay. Yes it's harsh on the lower clubs on the off chance they draw a match against a top club and miss out on a pay day but so is the TV companies ignoring lower league clubs for TV coverage. I'd rather go out on Sunday rather than get a replay which is due to this outdated bollocks. The FA Trophy and Vase have already scrapped replays.

Get the semis out of Wembley: It's killed the FA Cup final as an event since the new Wembley was built.

Seed the 3rd round draw so there's no all-PL ties. Then the non league/lower league clubs will actually get a decent draw, a bigger pay  day and picked for TV.

Have the winter break for the first week in January. Make the 3rd round of the FA Cup the weekend after. That way everyone comes into it refreshed rather than frazzed after the packed Christmas period.

Get rid of VAR - especially the nonsense of it being there for some ties and not for others.

Less games moved about. Thursday/Friday/Monday nights and early/late Saturday-Sunday is overkill - especially when they ignore all the non league teams anyway in favour of Hodgson v Dyche.

Also the League Cup semis should clearly be a one legged tie as well but aside from that the competition works fine (no VAR is an added bonus)

Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
arsenal have 1 win in 5. and anyway that was chelsea in march 2020. they were 4th at the time. beating us didn't seem to boost their league form (they finished 4th) or harm our title win.

Right before lockdown right? So probably not all that relevant.

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Given our injuries and Salah/Endo departing, I don’t think we have much room for rotation. You’d expect Elliott to rotate with Szobo in a game like this, but he’ll probably have to line up on the right with Salah gone and Doak injured. Matip and Robbo/Tsimi injured means Gomez will probably end up at LB again with Quansah in the middle, unless we want to give Chambers or Beck a test. Midfield picks itself in our current situation - Mac Allister, Jones, Gravenberch.

Offline Too early for flapjacks?

• It is? Hmm. How about a Groundhog steak? No? Damn. Thinks James Milner has the perfect body.
  • Legacy Fan
In their lineups people are putting Bradley up against Martinelli and Beck(or Chambers) up against Saka. Can't see Klopp doing that.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Right before lockdown right? So probably not all that relevant.
ok. apply the same thing to Arsenal beating us in the cup in February 2014. did it give arsenal a boost? was the FA cup loss harmful to our title push?
In their lineups people are putting Bradley up against Martinelli and Beck(or Chambers) up against Saka. Can't see Klopp doing that.
can you see him doing that against Martinelli or Doku or whoever in the league? because he'd have no option if we get an injury to Gomez and/or Trent
« Last Edit: January 5, 2024, 10:05:52 am by classycarra »

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
Think Arteta will go full strength
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake

3rd round weekend comes off the back of a million games in December and then first weekend in Jan you've got the FA Cup and more all-PL ties and they still get picked for TV coverage.

The FA Cup needs to:

scrap replays - they're a relic in an overcrowded calendar. Most clubs in any draw will not want a replay. Yes it's harsh on the lower clubs on the off chance they draw a match against a top club and miss out on a pay day but so is the TV companies ignoring lower league clubs for TV coverage. I'd rather go out on Sunday rather than get a replay which is due to this outdated bollocks. The FA Trophy and Vase have already scrapped replays.

Get the semis out of Wembley: It's killed the FA Cup final as an event since the new Wembley was built.

Seed the 3rd round draw so there's no all-PL ties. Then the non league/lower league clubs will actually get a decent draw, a bigger pay  day and picked for TV.

Have the winter break for the first week in January. Make the 3rd round of the FA Cup the weekend after. That way everyone comes into it refreshed rather than frazzed after the packed Christmas period.

Get rid of VAR - especially the nonsense of it being there for some ties and not for others.

Less games moved about. Thursday/Friday/Monday nights and early/late Saturday-Sunday is overkill - especially when they ignore all the non league teams anyway in favour of Hodgson v Dyche.

Also the League Cup semis should clearly be a one legged tie as well but aside from that the competition works fine (no VAR is an added bonus)

I agree with all your points there, except the seeded bit. As it is, Premier League clubs knocking each other in the Third Round is one of the best ways to ensure the latter rounds aren't simply dominated by PL teams. I think one of the reasons the FA Cup has become so devalued is it is basically a procession of the same clubs who tend to be competing for Top 4-6 in the PL. I appreciate that means some lower league clubs might miss out on a TV revenue in the Third, but the clubs who make it through are more likely to be televised in the Fourth.

Offline Redley

• Legacy Fan
  • Turned doubters to believers
ok. apply the same thing to Arsenal beating us in the cup in February 2014. did it give arsenal a boost? was the FA cup loss harmful to our title push?

Arsenal lost to Abu Dhabi in the 4th round last season and then dropped more points in their next three games ( 8 ) than they did in the whole season prior to that (dropped 7 points in 21 games).

I dont think its that wild to suggest that it can have an impact, particularly when the league is this close. Right now it feels like there's a foot on their throat (not ours in particular, just in general). They're in very ropey form in the league and after the break, besides our game, they've got a few games which look like they could be potential banana-skins (Forest, Burnley and West Ham away). It'd just be nice to give them a couple of weeks off stewing over a terrible run of form
« Last Edit: January 5, 2024, 10:28:25 am by Redley »

Offline Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
Think both teams will go pretty strong and the main change will be the goalkeepers with Kelleher coming in for us and Ramsdale for them. We played Monday and Arsenal Sunday so both teams have had plenty of time to fully recover. After this game Arsenal go away for their winter break and don’t play again until the 20th. We play Fulham in the LC SF on Wednesday and then we go away for our winter break and don’t play until the 21st. This is all assuming we don't have to reply this game!

Unavailable: Robertson, Tsimikas, Matip, Endo, Bajcetic, Thiago, Szoboszlai, Doak, Salah

With 9 players unavailable we are looking a little thin. I’d go with the below and then bring in Konate, Jones, and Diaz, for Fulham on Wednesday.

Kelleher

Trent          Quansah          van Djik          Gomez

Elliott          Mac Allister          Gravenberch

Jota          Nunez          Gakpo

Subs: Alisson, Chambers, Bradley, Konate, Jones, McConnell, Clark, Gordon, Diaz

I'd bring in one or two of the kids to that lineup. Potentially Gordon, Bradley or Clark.

Offline classycarra

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Arsenal lost to Abu Dhabi in the 4th round last season and then dropped more points in their next three games (8) than they did in the whole season prior to that (dropped 7 points in 21 games).
good stat! although it could work as supporting both of our suggestions

couldn't the poor run of form have been to do with the fatigue for the likes of xhaka, partey, saka faced (plus the others that were subbed on - saliba/martinelli/odegaard). partey also picked up an injury in that game that had him in and out for some of the fixtures after (played 2 of 4, basically 2 of 5 if you ignored a 6 minute cameo)

i just dont want us risking anything tomorrow for the sake of adding more games that are going to feel even less of a priority, if league form holds up, as the next rounds come. still, i recognise i probably won't get my way!

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan
We won’t have played for 6 days then we play Sunday/Wednesday then we have no game for 11 days if we don’t have a Cup replay. I think we’ll go strong as wrapping them in cotton wool when we already have a decent break afterwards actually risks not giving them enough minutes.

I think the weakest Klopp will go is a line up similar to the one we started against West Ham in the QF when some thought we might play the U21s. Had we fielded kids we wouldn’t be in the semi final that we’re all excited about. I could be wrong but I don’t think Jurgen has any intention of giving Arsenal a free pass.

« Last Edit: January 5, 2024, 10:59:37 am by Schmarn »

Online Chris~

• Legacy Fan
They'll likely need to play at some point this month and it's a game that's lowest priority. If you're not going to have some trust in this kind of game they really should be loaned out/not recalled.
« Last Edit: January 5, 2024, 11:00:12 am by Chris~ »

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan

I can see him playing one of them as what Arsenal will then inevitably do is target that side, we can then set up in the midfield to provide cover for the full back, that becomes a lot harder if you play two kids on both sides as they can go at either of them.

My guess is he'll play Trent because, as much as anything else, it means that there's no need for a system change. He's surely not asking Bradley Connor to play the hybrid full back role away at Arsenal so if he drops Trent it means a total system change (as although Gomez can play there it seems a bit counterproductive considering he's needed at LB for the forseeable).

Offline Garlicbread

• Veet lurk brurred.
  • Legacy Fan
Considering there's a 11 day break after the Fulham game midweek I think he'll go as strong as he can for both games.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan

The FA Cup needs to:

Great post and great suggestions. The only change you've suggested that's actually against the "spirit" / traditions of the FA Cup is seeding the draw. Its format has always been an open draw/challenge cup format, but if you consider the fact that there are so many layers of preliminary rounds, and then the Premier League and Championship teams are excused until the third round, so they might as well introduce some basic element of seeding. Another addition could be that the smaller team (by division) either gets to play at home, or gets to choose the venue.

The suggestion about the winter being this week makes so much sense, but, as I'm sure you realise, the winter break is split across two weekends, so there's never not PL content available.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
I reckon if we're level with five mintues to go Klopp might take our keeper off.

Offline Schmarn

• Legacy Fan

What Jurgen had to say about it today.

“On cup competitions being an opportunity to use the squad…

I don’t know exactly but I think we rotated a lot in the first part of the season. I don’t think we were particularly brave or whatever, we just did it because we thought the boys can do it. It was not one game where we thought, ‘Ah, forget it, who cares how we play there?’ That never happens. I think that’s the main reason why the impact from the bench is like it was so far, because it’s massive for the boys who come on what they contribute and it’s really important. That’s only because they all have rhythm. If you bring a boy who didn’t play for five or six weeks, it’s very rare he can play to his best. That’s why so far I think we did that quite well.

But actually, I am not sure if Arsenal is now a game to rotate. I sit here, I don’t know 100 per cent if we have the opportunity to do so, to be honest, whatever it means. It’s not that we have the biggest squad available. We have players available and we can line a team up, 100 per cent, a good team. And I think that’s what we will do. If that looks then afterwards like rotation, I don’t know yet. We have six days between the games, 1st and 7th, that’s long and there’s no need for rotation.

You can say, OK, three days later we have another game. Yes, that’s true, but we can think about that game when the other game is over. That’s what we do usually. And both have the same importance, there is nothing in between. We want to win these games, we want to go to the [League Cup] final but we want to go to the next round [of the FA Cup] as well. But it is probably the most tricky draw you can get and it will be a tough one. The game here was a good one and let’s hope we can show a good performance there as well.”

Online Jm55

• Legacy Fan
Sounds like a strong side then.

Offline kaesarsosei

• Brutally bad.
  • Legacy Fan
These shouts with Bradley, Beck, Chambers, Gordon - lots of posters on the fucking crack pipe over the holidays.  :o

Look at the last 7 years and tell me if you think Klopp likes our first teamers having a 10 day break between games? This will be close to full strength with only the GK and very unlikely the LB being anything resembling a reserve, but if anything I would expect Gomez to play this one and be rested on Wed at home to Fulham, if at all.

Online HardworkDedication

• Hardwork and Dedication linked to many stories - Mingebag. Has no opinion of his own. Human news ticker tape.
  • Legacy Fan
What Jurgen had to say about it today.

“On cup competitions being an opportunity to use the squad…

I don’t know exactly but I think we rotated a lot in the first part of the season. I don’t think we were particularly brave or whatever, we just did it because we thought the boys can do it. It was not one game where we thought, ‘Ah, forget it, who cares how we play there?’ That never happens. I think that’s the main reason why the impact from the bench is like it was so far, because it’s massive for the boys who come on what they contribute and it’s really important. That’s only because they all have rhythm. If you bring a boy who didn’t play for five or six weeks, it’s very rare he can play to his best. That’s why so far I think we did that quite well.

But actually, I am not sure if Arsenal is now a game to rotate. I sit here, I don’t know 100 per cent if we have the opportunity to do so, to be honest, whatever it means. It’s not that we have the biggest squad available. We have players available and we can line a team up, 100 per cent, a good team. And I think that’s what we will do. If that looks then afterwards like rotation, I don’t know yet. We have six days between the games, 1st and 7th, that’s long and there’s no need for rotation.

You can say, OK, three days later we have another game. Yes, that’s true, but we can think about that game when the other game is over. That’s what we do usually. And both have the same importance, there is nothing in between. We want to win these games, we want to go to the [League Cup] final but we want to go to the next round [of the FA Cup] as well. But it is probably the most tricky draw you can get and it will be a tough one. The game here was a good one and let’s hope we can show a good performance there as well.”

Definitely sounds like he is going strong. Just hope we don't pick up anymore injuries.

Online MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
To be honest, watching us in the last few weeks has been exhausting. I can't imagine how the players feel. For me, the priority is to avoid injuries.

We have so many games to play in a short space of time.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
To be honest, watching us in the last few weeks has been exhausting. I can't imagine how the players feel. For me, the priority is to avoid injuries.

We have so many games to play in a short space of time.

If we get a result at the weekend, we have one more game to get through before the players get a break, in which they will get some time off.

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
From one of my worst ever footballing moments then, to one of my happiest - Michael Owen running onto a first class Paddy pass before finishing with aplomb to the left of the out-stretched David Seaman, bedlam, memories made which will never be forgotten.

Indeed. I've been to numerous finals, on home soil and in Europe....but there was something really special about that one ......had a glorious long weekend in Newport/Cardiff with brothers and mates.....sun was blazing.....Arsenal fans boss.....the atmosphere in the Millennium Stadium - man alive, just incredible - made Wembley look like Prenton Park.......drama akimbo on the pitch....and wee genius Michael dishing up unbounded joy, carnage and lifelong memories.............just thinking about that game always puts a smile on my face.......hope I'm not grimacing on Sunday.
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Red Beret

• Legacy Fan
Yeah, neutral venues is another stupid idea that should be scrapped. A charm of the domestic cups for a team like Liverpool is when we play a smaller club for whom this game is the highlight of the season.

I would turn the league cup into an under-21 cup or something like that.

Except these days we almost never get drawn against a smaller, lower league club. Statistically we're more often than not facing off against another PL team, whilst teams like Man City are virtually given byes all the way to the final so they can pad their illicit trophy haul.

As for the league cup, I wouldn't say no to PL clubs being permanently excluded from the competition. At the end of the day, it is the football league's competition, and whilst it might bring a pay day for the lower leagues, the prize money is pitiful and its just extra games to wear out our players.

Don't get me wrong - I'm very fond of the competition, and as long as its around I hope we go for it. But the schism that's opened up between the PL and the rest of football, the top clubs have just outgrown it. I hate it to be about the bottom line, but the prize money likely wouldn't cover a week's wages for our lowest paid first teamer.

Popcorn's Art

Offline upthereds1993

• Anny Roader
I'm definitely in the minority here but I'd actually be happy if domestic competitions were kept the way they are.

In regards to the League Cup, I think it's a great competition and find the earlier rounds a lot more enjoyable than the FA Cup, as they're played mid-week under the lights, doesn't feel like it's depriving you of a weekend of Premier League football and there's a good opportunity you could be drawn up against a decent side. I'm a fan of the two-legged semis as well. In all my time supporting Liverpool I've always fancied us against absolutely anybody over two legs. Supporters of other sides may feel a similar way with their club, but I think having Anfield (and it's ability to turn it on when needed) definitely plays a big part in my thinking. Then there's of course the final and it goes without saying that it's a great day out and great occasion. I find it a bit difficult to watch finals that Liverpool aren't involved in as whenever I see the likes of Wembley full of excited supporters I can't help but thinking "I wish that was us"

With the FA Cup, my only real gripe is the replays but understand that they can be a huge financial help to clubs that are lower down the pyramid so I definitely wouldn't bin them off. More than happy with the semis at Wembley too - speaking as a match-going supporter your chances of getting a a semi final ticket if it's played at Wembley are a lot higher than if it was at the likes of Villa Park, or even Old Trafford & Cardiff due to the capacity.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Except these days we almost never get drawn against a smaller, lower league club. Statistically we're more often than not facing off against another PL team,

Just had a look at this out of interest. Only went up to the QF as by the SF stage you're likely to be up against PL opposition anyway

23/24 - Arsenal (PL)
22/23 - Wolves (PL), Brighton (PL)
21/22 - Shrewsbury (L1), Cardiff (C), Norwich (PL), Forest (C)
20/21 - Villa (PL), Man Utd (PL)
19/20 - Everton (PL), Shrewsbury (L1), Chelsea (PL)
18/19 - Wolves (PL)
17/18 - Everton (PL), West Brom (PL)
16/17 - Plymouth (L2), Wolves (C)

17 draws - 11 out of 17 have given us Premier League opponents, 3 Championship sides, 2 from League 1 and 1 from League 2.
6 out of the last 8 3rd round ties have been a Premier League opponent.

That's surely an incredible run of 'luck' in these draws. I can't be arsed looking to see if there are any similar records for other sides.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Hestoic

• Kopite
Apparently the minimum Salah will miss is four games, one of them being a league match against Bournemouth which are becoming must wins for me if we're to win the league. We need to maintain this current gap to City at a minimum until they come to Anfield. So as long as we're full strength for that league game, I'm happy.

The League Cup games against Fulham are important to me, I'd love to be able to win those and get to the final. If we were looking at priorities for games and keeping our players as fit as possible and injury free, I would honestly use this Arsenal game to rest some key players like Alisson, Van Dijk, Nunez, Jones, Gomez. Arsenal played very dirty against us last time out and we had that injury with Tsimikas. I can see them being out to disrupt some of our team because they see themselves as title challengers too, and if they can harm our players as they already have, better for them. It's right at the beginning of the competition and we are advanced in the other three. Of course I want to see us go for it, but I'd much rather hear the management has an eye on keeping key players out of danger for more important games. 

Everything is in our hands in the league and I really want to see us win it again. The manager and some of the current squad deserve to have multiple league titles to their names and we've got as great a chance as we've had in 2 years to win it.

Online kop306

• Anny Roader
kelleher

bradley quansah konate beck

elliot macca grav

gordon cody jota

i would only play jota and macca for 60 mins

bobby clarke and carvalho on as subs second half

following on from klopp press conference i have updated my team

alison

trent virg kontate gomez

elliot macca grav

diaz cody jota

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
following on from klopp press conference i have updated my team

alison

trent virg kontate gomez

elliot macca grav

diaz cody jota
Does this mean he suggested we’d be fielding a strong team?
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp