Author Topic: European Super League  (Read 26558 times)

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: European Super League
« Reply #160 on: January 31, 2023, 02:19:52 pm »
I think I read that UEFA takes 25% of the money the Champions League makes.  That's an awful lot of money that should be going to the clubs.  There's zero reason for UEFA to be taking that much. 

Offline naka

• Lennart Skoglund Ultra
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #161 on: January 31, 2023, 02:39:45 pm »

this is going to happen eventually

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #162 on: February 9, 2023, 03:05:14 pm »

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #163 on: February 9, 2023, 03:24:15 pm »
https://twitter.com/A22Sports

ESL relaunched.

PL had better hammer City, full relegation, stripped titles, the lot or this is the future.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline Penfold78

• Kopite
« Reply #164 on: February 9, 2023, 03:26:04 pm »
Why The Capital Letters At The Start Of Every Word?

Suggests this was drafted by idiots for idiots. Which we knew already.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #165 on: February 9, 2023, 03:41:12 pm »

Interesting you deem everyone is an idiot given the use of capital letters is correct  :D
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #166 on: February 9, 2023, 03:41:26 pm »
PL had better hammer City, full relegation, stripped titles, the lot or this is the future.

And I quote...

"The future has taken refuge in the present."

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #167 on: February 9, 2023, 03:56:46 pm »

The likes of Agnelli and Perez at the heart of it, more awful characters. Out of the frying pan.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #168 on: February 9, 2023, 05:53:29 pm »
https://twitter.com/A22Sports

ESL relaunched.

All good principles. I’m not opposed to a shake up in European football if it leaves the game in better shape for the long term. Moving away from UEFA and FIFA is an advantage too.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Dench57

• Self-confessed tit. Can't sit still. She's got the hippy hippy crack.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #169 on: February 9, 2023, 06:08:18 pm »
bit vague innit
Loving Everton's business this summer. Here's an early call - they finish above Liverpool this season.
- Richard Keys (@richardajkeys) July 9, 2017

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #171 on: February 9, 2023, 06:57:26 pm »
Excellent thread explaining the revamped European Super League plans by Ben Jacobs.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JacobsBen/status/1623617663338438658

“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline Samie

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #172 on: February 9, 2023, 06:59:27 pm »
More on it here:

https://a22sports.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/A22-TEN-PRINCIPLES-FOR-A-EUROPEAN-FOOTBALL-LEAGUE.pdf?mc_cid=58f467e4a0&mc_eid=127ceca5a4

Seems to be positioned without Premier League clubs.

We're not out of the ESL mate. Not unless we want to pay the other founding 11 members a fine.  :D

Offline FLRed67

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #173 on: February 9, 2023, 07:29:18 pm »
More on it here:

https://a22sports.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/A22-TEN-PRINCIPLES-FOR-A-EUROPEAN-FOOTBALL-LEAGUE.pdf?mc_cid=58f467e4a0&mc_eid=127ceca5a4

Because the whole point of this scheme is to replace the Premier League. More specifically, to grab the TV money that the PL currently gets.
« Last Edit: February 9, 2023, 07:31:35 pm by FLRed67 »

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #174 on: February 9, 2023, 09:01:26 pm »
More on it here:

Mr. Reichart said: “Our objective is to present a sustainable sporting project for European club competitions available to, at a minimum, all 27 EU Member States as soon as possible after receipt of the judgment. The issues are clear, and action must be taken for the benefit of fans, players, and clubs.”

Its basically saying all of the EU, plus those soft c*nts who left and the others who aren't members, which will be Norway and Switzerland.
Jurgen YNWA

Offline In the Name of Klopp

• smann. Talks as if he/she/they single handedly saw off H&G in 2010.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #175 on: February 9, 2023, 10:11:38 pm »
We're not out of the ESL mate. Not unless we want to pay the other founding 11 members a fine.  :D

Yes technically we're still shareholders in the ESL, but I don't think we can re-join without PL's permission.

I think Mikey is referring to the bold part:

Madrid, 09 February 2023 – A22 Sports Management, a European commercial sports development
company, today released the preliminary results of a comprehensive dialogue with stakeholders across
Europe on the future of club football. Since last October, A22 CEO Bernd Reichart has spoken to nearly
50 European clubs and stakeholders. The vast majority of them share the assessment that the very
foundation of European football is under threat, and it is time for change.

Mr. Reichart said: “Clubs bear all entrepreneurial risks but too often are forced to sit on the side-lines
when key decisions are made, and they are watching their sporting and financial foundations crumble.
Our discussions have made clear clubs are often unable to publicly speak up against a system where the
threat of sanctions is used to stifle opposition. Our dialogue has been honest, direct, and fruitful. There
are clear conclusions about the need for change and the building blocks of how to achieve it.”
The consistent feedback received by A22 on European club competitions has been distilled into the 10
principles presented below.

Later this year, the Court of Justice of the European Union will rule on the legality and compatibility of the
UEFA monopoly with the framework of the fundamental freedoms, principles and values that are the basis
of the EU. Their decision will impact not only football, but all European sports.

Mr. Reichart said: “Our objective is to present a sustainable sporting project for European club
competitions available to, at a minimum, all 27 EU Member States as soon as possible after receipt of
the judgment. The issues are clear, and action must be taken for the benefit of fans, players, and clubs.”
“Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.”

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #176 on: February 12, 2023, 07:19:21 am »
Because the whole point of this scheme is to replace the Premier League. More specifically, to grab the TV money that the PL currently gets.

I mean it really isn’t. It’s aimed at replacing the CL and UEFAs other European competitions. It’s not aimed at replacing domestic leagues and they’ll be begging for the PL clubs to be involved because it likely doesn’t succeed without them.

Online Knight

• No one understands football like me.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #177 on: February 12, 2023, 07:48:21 am »
Whilst I do have major issues with ESL one thing I do think they're right about. The fact that the regulator is also the competition organiser is a disgrace. UEFA and FIFA need to be one or the other. Not both. I'd not realised just how problematic this is until one of the chaps on guardian football weekly kept banging on about it in the run up to the Qatar world cup.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #178 on: February 12, 2023, 10:13:26 am »
Excellent thread explaining the revamped European Super League plans by Ben Jacobs.

https://mobile.twitter.com/JacobsBen/status/1623617663338438658

Lovely. Can we get free ice cream too?

Look at who would run ESL and their track record. Why on earth would anyone believe in this?
Real just played the bloody saudi for the club cup world or whateve, and they outsourced their domestic cup to the middle east. They would sell out ESL games, spots and teams in a heartbeat

We can might as well put our bets on Qatar transforming into a democracy.

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #179 on: February 12, 2023, 10:16:41 am »
Whilst I do have major issues with ESL one thing I do think they're right about. The fact that the regulator is also the competition organiser is a disgrace. UEFA and FIFA need to be one or the other. Not both. I'd not realised just how problematic this is until one of the chaps on guardian football weekly kept banging on about it in the run up to the Qatar world cup.
ESL would retain full control, thats the point. They would let the top clubs free from the shackles of domestic football associations, like in the US.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #180 on: February 12, 2023, 10:27:32 am »
I was always against the idea of this in the past, but I think that it has to now happen.

The Premier League has lost all credibility. They will do nothing against the Sportswashers like Chelsea, Manchester City or Newcastle. It was already ruined with swathes of money coming in and officials and the league colluding (The head of the Premier League said that Manchester United HAD to be successful - so no indications there that things are squiffy)

Even recent results appear to be showing multiple decisions going for Manchester United (Not having a go at Manchester United in this particular instance) and multiple decisions going against their competitors - almost like the Premier League want to keep the league 'exciting'

That they and their officials seemed less anxious to keep it 'exciting' when we were challenging with all the shite decisions we got and all the great decisions that our opponents got.

Even this season given the obvious fouls and handballs in the area when Liverpool play, PGMOL are shown up to be the corrupt c*nts we thought they were - only two teams in the entire league haven't been awarded a single penalty all season - Bournmouth (6 against) and Liverpool (3 against)

Now that PGMOL are getting pulled up on this, expect the bent fuckers to magically award a couple of shady penalties so that the media can continue their LiVARpool compaign.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #181 on: February 12, 2023, 10:30:31 am »
I was always against the idea of this in the past, but I think that it has to now happen.

The Premier League has lost all credibility. They will do nothing against the Sportswashers like Chelsea, Manchester City or Newcastle. It was already ruined with swathes of money coming in and officials and the league colluding (The head of the Premier League said that Manchester United HAD to be successful - so no indications there that things are squiffy)

Even recent results appear to be showing multiple decisions going for Manchester United (Not having a go at Manchester United in this particular instance) and multiple decisions going against their competitors - almost like the Premier League want to keep the league 'exciting'

That they and their officials seemed less anxious to keep it 'exciting' when we were challenging with all the shite decisions we got and all the great decisions that our opponents got.

Even this season given the obvious fouls and handballs in the area when Liverpool play, PGMOL are shown up to be the corrupt c*nts we thought they were - only two teams in the entire league haven't been awarded a single penalty all season - Bournmouth (6 against) and Liverpool (3 against)

Now that PGMOL are getting pulled up on this, expect the bent fuckers to magically award a couple of shady penalties so that the media can continue their LiVARpool compaign.

Perhaps you have missed it, but they have already charged City.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Mister Flip Flop

• More flop than flip.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #182 on: February 12, 2023, 10:39:05 am »
The way i see it is football is in the toilet anyway, the ESL might speed the process up instead of this death by a million cuts shit we have to put up with at present. Watching a match these days is like a pantomime and the premier league has turned football into an entertainment "product".

Yank owners, Arab owners, Russian owners etc... have turned it into an unrecognisable mess where you can buy anything with money and whore yourself out to the highest bidder.
Soccer - let's face it, its not really about a game of ball anymore is it?

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #183 on: February 12, 2023, 10:42:05 am »
Perhaps you have missed it, but they have already charged City.

I certainly missed the part where they will do anything against them or are you saying they've been kicked out of the league and had their titles taken from them?

I suspect that you are not. I suspect they will get a transfer ban for a season, a fine they aren't arsed about and a slap on the wrist.

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #184 on: February 12, 2023, 10:48:22 am »
I certainly missed the part where they will do anything against them or are you saying they've been kicked out of the league and had their titles taken from them?

I suspect that you are not. I suspect they will get a transfer ban for a season, a fine they aren't arsed about and a slap on the wrist.

They can't kick them out of the league until the case has taken place, so that's just being daft. If they are found guilty they will have to be severely punished, the PL will know they have to do something more than "a slap on the wrist."
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #185 on: February 12, 2023, 10:49:54 am »
They can't kick them out of the league until the case has taken place, so that's just being daft. If they are found guilty they will have to be severely punished, the PL will know they have to do something more than "a slap on the wrist."

I bet you a thimble, a used polo wrapper and a conker that they get a transfer ban, a large fine and a slap on the wrist.

I bet you a broken shatterproof ruler, a piece of unused toilet paper and a toothpick that other clubs will be able to continue to buy the league and get away with it.

Offline Aeon

• Main Stander
« Reply #186 on: February 12, 2023, 11:07:38 am »
I was never against the European Super League. I was always open to it and I hope that somehow this project will go through and Liverpool Football Club will be in it.

FIFA, UEFA and the Premier League are corrupt and anachronistic institutions that need to be replaced.

Relying your Champions League participation on whether a VAR bloke "applies or not the VAR lines", essentially depending the Club's entire season income on the gifts this fella is receiving from the Middle East, is not what you could call a fair or transparent process.

UEFA and the Premier League are corrupt to the core. They are so corrupt, that the word corruption cannot fully encapsulate how deep in shit they are. 

For decades UEFA and the Premier League were sitting there watching City, Chelsea, PSG, robbing trophies and cheating every rule, presenting fake accounts, faking all numbers.

If that is not enough for you, the repeated Champions League Final Tickets fiascos, their consistent treacherous efforts to shift the responsibility of their incompetence and blame the fans, risking the fans safety should be more than enough.

The FBI showed exactly where the UEFA and FIFA thieves belong. They belong to prison. 

I think I read that UEFA takes 25% of the money the Champions League makes.  That's an awful lot of money that should be going to the clubs.  There's zero reason for UEFA to be taking that much.

Zero reason? and who is going to pay for their Lamborghinis, their Rolexes and their endless Dubai holidays?
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 11:09:40 am by Aeon »

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #187 on: February 12, 2023, 11:29:06 am »
I was never against the European Super League. I was always open to it and I hope that somehow this project will go through and Liverpool Football Club will be in it.

FIFA, UEFA and the Premier League are corrupt and anachronistic institutions that need to be replaced.

Relying your Champions League participation on whether a VAR bloke "applies or not the VAR lines", essentially depending the Club's entire season income on the gifts this fella is receiving from the Middle East, is not what you could call a fair or transparent process.

UEFA and the Premier League are corrupt to the core. They are so corrupt, that the word corruption cannot fully encapsulate how deep in shit they are. 

For decades UEFA and the Premier League were sitting there watching City, Chelsea, PSG, robbing trophies and cheating every rule, presenting fake accounts, faking all numbers.

If that is not enough for you, the repeated Champions League Final Tickets fiascos, their consistent treacherous efforts to shift the responsibility of their incompetence and blame the fans, risking the fans safety should be more than enough.

The FBI showed exactly where the UEFA and FIFA thieves belong. They belong to prison. 

Zero reason? and who is going to pay for their Lamborghinis, their Rolexes and their endless Dubai holidays?

I'd be happy to get away from UEFA and the monstrosity that is now the Premier League but the Super League idea is still very much out of the frying pan and into the fire.

It's all venture capitalism and with billions of pounds sloshing about. Money corrupts.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #188 on: February 12, 2023, 11:34:03 am »
I'd be happy to get away from UEFA and the monstrosity that is now the Premier League but the Super League idea is still very much out of the frying pan and into the fire.

It's all venture capitalism and with billions of pounds sloshing about. Money corrupts.

They'd do well to make it worse than it is now.

It's not even fun going to the game any more.

Shite kick off times. You can't celebrate a single goal because you know some incompetant dogturd 250 miles away is likely to disallow it because he's in a bad mood or his dog took a shit in his car or something.

So goals go in and you hope it's a goal and you kind of celebrate, but mostly you think 'meh. Probably be disallowed'

The atmosphere is toxic when away teams come. The games are shite. The refs are worse. The times are fucking rancid and VAR is a fucking joke. Just like the League.

Offline Aeon

• Main Stander
« Reply #189 on: February 12, 2023, 11:48:31 am »

In my opinion, staying with the Premier League and UEFA should not be an option. The only reason they are now investigating city is because of the threat of the European Super League.

Serie A which is one of the most corrupt institutions in football have, at the very least, punished all the top clubs with relegations and trophy returns the past 50-60 years. In England, nothing is moving, we have witnessed a midtable club like Chelsea outspending for decades clubs like Arsenal, Liverpool and Manchester United and "win" trophies. The same with city now.

We have also witnessed institutional bias and racism, double standards etc... I do not think there is future with the Premier League, I think their "product" and bubble has reached its limits and it is about to burst on their faces. Hence why investors like FSG seem to want a way out. They will not get the current valuation again in the future.

The Premier League and UEFA have contributed to this mess and there is no solution to it. The city investigation will be another fiasco, their expensive lawyers will buy them a away out of any serious trouble and they will get away with a fine or with a couple seasons transfer ban. No one is going to jail, no one is getting relegated, no trophy returns to the real winners. In other leagues, people served prison sentences and trophies were returned.

I think what worries people like Glazers and FSG who are looking for an exit  at the present moment is not only the levels of corruption with which there cannot be any type of healthy competition, but the fact that UEFA and the Premier League have "lost" the fans. The value of "the product" has started to decline.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #190 on: February 12, 2023, 11:58:28 am »
They'd do well to make it worse than it is now.

It's not even fun going to the game any more.

Shite kick off times. You can't celebrate a single goal because you know some incompetant dogturd 250 miles away is likely to disallow it because he's in a bad mood or his dog took a shit in his car or something.

So goals go in and you hope it's a goal and you kind of celebrate, but mostly you think 'meh. Probably be disallowed'

The atmosphere is toxic when away teams come. The games are shite. The refs are worse. The times are fucking rancid and VAR is a fucking joke. Just like the League.

VAR has killed the sport as a spectacle for the match-going fan but you can guarantee it'll be there in any ESL.

Offline liverbloke

• Prototype RAWK Genius. Founder of stickysheets.com and prefers it solo. Gotta hand it to him, eh?
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • i neither know nor care
« Reply #191 on: February 12, 2023, 11:59:43 am »

fans saying that it's all corrupt and biased - i'm sure it is, but the same can be said for where you buy your trainers from or the new piece of tech kit you bought off amazon from the chinese or a holiday in dubai so if you're going down the route that a new super league (the word 'super' already fills me with commercial dread) won't be affected by the same 'corruption' then you're either very trusting or naive

let's not forget that in the last 5 years we've won the prem, won the fa cup (as well as the league cup) and been in 3 champions league finals winning one of them - not bad and we could have won more if it were not for some poor displays

city will be part of any money-making super league there's no doubt so will you be bemoaning anything that seems unfair to you just the way you are now?

we all want a fair system and a trustworthy governing body but that's like saying we all want world peace - and i can't see that happening anytime soon

it will be the same old same old - basically any (democratic) committee would present us with a camel (pun intended) instead of a horse

money>fans
Quote from: Lee1-6Liv
Who would have thought liverblokes no draws idea would not be his worst idea of the weekend

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #192 on: February 12, 2023, 12:00:57 pm »
I think what worries people like Glazers and FSG who are looking for an exit  at the present moment is not only the levels of corruption with which there cannot be any type of healthy competition, but the fact that UEFA and the Premier League have "lost" the fans. The value of "the product" has started to decline.

They may have but stadiums have never been fuller. The money is still rolling in.

Offline Macc77

• Anny Roader
« Reply #193 on: February 12, 2023, 12:04:37 pm »
All the things we hate about the PL and UEFA would likely be there in an ESL, but some stuff will actually be worse. We'll still get crappy kick off times, still get games ruined by cheating, play acting, terrible VAR decisions, etc. We'll still get fleeced for tickets and likely end up with even more sanitised atmospheres due to less away fans wanting to travel all over Europe every fortnight, and any concept of great European nights will be diluted very quickly if we're playing Barca and Milan at home every year, but instead now playing them for nothing more than 3 points in order to qualify for the top 8 or top 12 or whatever. Games against Porto and Roma will become the new Crystal Palace or Southampton very quickly.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2023, 12:07:07 pm by Macc77 »

Offline Redbonnie

• Kopite
« Reply #194 on: February 12, 2023, 12:06:00 pm »
I was one of the few people who wanted it last time … the current situation is unsustainable. The sight of Newcastle playing in the Saudi Flag colours on Saturday says everything you need to know about the current premier league. Something has to change.

Offline Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #195 on: February 12, 2023, 12:08:51 pm »
All the things we hate about the PL and UEFA would likely be there in an ESL, but some stuff will actually be worse. We'll still get crappy kick off times, still get games ruined by cheating, play acting, terrible VAR decisions, etc. We'll still get fleeced for tickets and likely end up with even more sanitised atmospheres due to less away fans wanting to travel all over Europe every fortnight, and any concept of great European nights will be diluted very quickly if we're playing Barca and Milan at home every year, but instead now playing them for nothing more than 3 points in order to qualify for the top 8 or top 12 or whatever. Games against Porto and Roma will become the new Crystal Palace or Southampton very quickly.

It's like the Milan games last year. Just like any other fixtures because they were group games rather than knockout matches. Milan away last season is what happens when there's nothing riding on it.

Offline Aeon

• Main Stander
« Reply #196 on: February 12, 2023, 12:23:53 pm »
Yes, we won 1 Premier League title and 1 Champions League.

But we certainly deserved at least 2 more Premier League titles, only to be robbed by club(s) violating more than 100 rules.

If you are happy with this situation, then fair enough.

They may have but stadiums have never been fuller. The money is still rolling in.

This may be the case for now, February 2023. This is why the Club valuations are currently so high. However, investors are more concerned of the future potential and valuation of their assets. There is abundance of evidence that the Premier League and UEFA are deeply rotten. The stadiums are full, but the thrill has been killed and it will start hurting the commercial side, maybe not the attendances which rely on local support, but the regional, national and international outreach. 

Offline jepovic

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #197 on: February 12, 2023, 12:33:53 pm »
Yeah, but now you would get the chance to go to dubai etc for some of the Barca games. Plus we would face new teams like Al Hilal. And we wouldnt be bothered with stuff like rainbow bands

Offline jepovic

• Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
« Reply #198 on: February 12, 2023, 12:39:49 pm »
Yes, we won 1 Premier League title and 1 Champions League.

But we certainly deserved at least 2 more Premier League titles, only to be robbed by club(s) violating more than 100 rules.

If you are happy with this situation, then fair enough.

This may be the case for now, February 2023. This is why the Club valuations are currently so high. However, investors are more concerned of the future potential and valuation of their assets. There is abundance of evidence that the Premier League and UEFA are deeply rotten. The stadiums are full, but the thrill has been killed and it will start hurting the commercial side, maybe not the attendances which rely on local support, but the regional, national and international outreach.
I think ESL would be more, not less, tilted in favour of teams like City and Real
Liverpool would be the classic team bringing a flair of nostalgia and history, but I ultimately the money will prevail

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #199 on: February 12, 2023, 12:53:37 pm »
For me, the only way the ESL works is if the sportswashers are excluded. Let them have the CL and their domestic leagues, where they can be big fish in a shrinking pond, win the league every year, and the whole thing becomes a bore fest. Yeah, they'll still nab the best players on obscene wages, but it will be bland and empty for anyone not a fan of some artificial construct joke of a pretend club.

As an alternative scenario, and I admit I was only half serious when I first thought of it, but I'd love it if the likes of Arsenal, Liverpool, United, etc, petitioned to rejoin the Football League and create a new top tier amalgamation with the Championship. It would be a pain to reorganise the new divisions, but I'm sure it could be done.

Yeah, Championship clubs long for the money promotion to the PL will bring; but right now, they just make up the numbers and are largely just scrapping for survival.  Having some of the traditionally big clubs return to the football league would be a big financial boost to the organisation on its own.  The monster clubs would increasingly hog the money and the best players and pay the wages, so the likes of LFC would probably see contraction in their appeal on the global stage in players we could afford etc. But it would feel a cleaner and more honest game, where we could still enjoy our stature and history.

the league is getting ripped apart because the monster clubs are forging ahead at a rate nobody else can keep up with. We may be looking at a Rugby League/Union type of split in the long run.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art