Author Topic: FAC: Shrewsbury 2 VS. Liverpool 2 ‘14 Jones '65 (p) '64 ‘75 Cummings  (Read 47005 times)

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Shrewsbury Town v Liverpool
Referee: Andre Marriner
Assistant Referees: Dan Cook & Stuart Burt
Fourth Official: Oliver Langford

VAR: No VAR in place for games at non-Premier League grounds, so sadly there'll be none of those favourable decisions that we've been benefitting from all season in the league  :P

TV:

The game is live on BBC One, programme starts at 4.30pm for the 5pm Kick-Off.

For people at the game, and those who prefer when watching the news to 'look away now if you don't want to know the score' (Does anybody successfully manage to do that in this day and age?) there are highlights on BBC One at 10.30pm

Shrewsbury Town - A brief history
Shrewsbury Town have been almost ever-present in the Football League, since joining in 1950. Their election came, as the league increased the number of clubs from 88, to 92. In those days, instead of a third and fourth tier (or League One and League Two as we know it today), the clubs below the top two divisions were split equally, depending on geographic location, into Division Three North, and Division Three South. Shrewsbury joined fellow newcomers Scunthorpe in the North section, whilst Gillingham and Colchester were promoted into Division Three South. However, given that they were the Southern-most team, coupled with the relegation of Grimsby and Chesterfield from the second division, Shrewsbury spent the following seven seasons in Division Three South, before the Football League reverted to a straight four divisions. The club spent most of the 1980's in the Second division, achieving their highest ever league placings, finishing 8th in both 83/84 and 84/85, also winning the Welsh Cup in both seasons too. Their solitary season outside the league, came after relegation in 2003, which came just a few months after a famous win over Everton, also in the FA Cup.

They currently sit 16th in League One on 34 points. Looking unlikely to go down, a good push could see them reach the play-offs.

Previous Meetings
FA Cup 4th round  18th February 1996  Gay Meadow

4-0 (Collymore, Dave Walton (OG), Fowler, McAteer)

Given that the Shrews have enjoyed many a good cup run, it's perhaps surprising that we've only ever met the once. At the third attempt, and with one club (Aston Villa) already through to the quarter finals, this 4th round tie was finally played at a time more associated with matches in the local parks - 11am on a Sunday. In the days before squad rotation, the Reds eased to a comfortable 4-0 win, thanks in part to a couple of goals gifted by the opposition. The game was played just three days after the sad passing of Bob Paisley, and a minutes silence was observed shortly before kick off. 

Connections
There's not too many connections between the two clubs. Steve Ogrizovic is perhaps the most well-known, having been on the bench for Liverpool in two winning European Cup finals, and played for the Shrews for a couple of seasons, before a long career with Coventry. Peter Wall was part of Shanklys side of the late 60's, having started his career at Shrewsbury, his home-town club. Despite playing 42 games for the Reds over three seasons, he wasn't able to hold down a regular spot for more than a couple of months at a time, and left for Crystal Palace in 1970.

This weekend
As with the Everton game, several youngster will get another opportunity to show Jurgen Klopp that they are worthy of being considered for a first-team squad place on a more regular basis. Williams, Jones, Chiravella and Elliott will surely start again, and possibly Larouci after his unexpected early arrival into the Derby for his debut. Similarly, I'd expect the returning Fabinho, Lovren and Matip to slot back into the line up, with Minamino and Origi also set to start.

In fact, as I read that back, I see I've mentioned ten outfield players. Although that wasn't my intention, let's go with that for my predicted line-up and see how many I get right:
Adrian

Williams     Lovren    Matip     Larouci

Fabinho

Chiravella     Jones

Elliott     Origi     Minamino
Let's hope the youngster do themselves proud once again, and please, let's get the job done at the first go. We keep on getting told we've never won a 'proper' treble. Could this be the year?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 06:34:39 pm by Tepid T₂O »
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
Re: FAC: Shrewsbury VS. Liverpool
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 03:51:05 pm »
Hands up here, I have bias.

Roy who owns Montgomery Waters who sponsor the stadium  once used to employ me in a supermarket he owned and is friends with my dad..

Let’s keep it respectable ;D
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2020, 04:26:56 pm »

W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 04:58:35 pm »
The pitch isn’t looking too bad at the meadow tonight...
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2020, 04:59:36 pm »
Certainly better than Prenton Park.  ;D
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2020, 05:00:48 pm »
0 Shrewsbury get us underway. 
W

Offline Rush 82

• Seth Iffricans don't take the dog out for a walk - they take the line out!
  • Legacy Fan
  • From Cape Town to Anfield
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2020, 05:01:18 pm »
Simon Hooper a late replacement for Marriner

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2020, 05:02:38 pm »
2 nice work by Chirevella cuts it back to Minamino in the area but it won’t sit down for him.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2020, 05:04:01 pm »
They like to hit the ball early Shrewsbury, tried it a couple of times.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2020, 05:04:54 pm »
5 it’s very very very congested around their area.....

W

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 05:06:42 pm »
That official down our right needs a visit to Specsavers - should have been a corner to the Reds

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 05:08:18 pm »
That official down our right needs a visit to Specsavers - should have been a corner to the Reds

He wasn't in a good position to judge either.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 05:08:46 pm »
7 we need to spread the play more to pull them out of their block...

And Origi goes just wide with a snap shot...

And with that I’ve just remembered that my sister used to play for Shrewsbury town.
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2020, 05:11:38 pm »
11 a Shrewsbury player down after a clash of knees

Not much happened so far
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2020, 05:14:29 pm »
13 whipped cross by Williams and Minamino is a whisker away form heading it in..
W

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 05:15:35 pm »

1-0

Curtis Jones..

Chirevella through ball is tucked away by Jones.
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 05:16:01 pm »
Lovely through ball by Pedro.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
Re: FAC: Shrewsbury 0 VS. Liverpool 1 ‘14 Jones
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 05:16:08 pm »
Over to Jill
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 05:16:52 pm »
15 Shrewsbury surely have to come out a bit more now, hopefully more space for us to attack with.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 05:18:42 pm »
17 A lovely spin and turn there from Minamino as Liverpool start to really find their passing range.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 05:19:54 pm »
Good work by Curtis tracking back in defense there

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2020, 05:19:59 pm »
They’ve only had 20 passes so far
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2020, 05:20:13 pm »
19 Curtis Jones is such an intelligent player did some lovely defensive work there, a quick turn and comes away with the ball. The lad is full of movement and ideas.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2020, 05:21:39 pm »
20 Another chance there for Jones, but he doesn't manage to control it, but the Reds are retaining control of this game now.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2020, 05:24:05 pm »
22 The Reds in absolute control just keeping possession of the ball. Shrewsbury packing the midfield and making it as hard as possible. The likes of Jones and Elliot getting plenty of passes. Then Shrewsbury break and get a good shot on goal but Adrian is equal to it.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2020, 05:24:57 pm »
Fantastic save that
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2020, 05:25:17 pm »
24 Shrewsbury get a free kick near our area, the ball goes in but Adrian comes out and intercepts.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2020, 05:25:58 pm »
22 The Reds in absolute control just keeping possession of the ball. Shrewsbury packing the midfield and making it as hard as possible. The likes of Jones and Elliot getting plenty of passes. Then Shrewsbury break and get a good shot on goal but Adrian is equal to it.
Very very good save by Adrian - stayed on his feet in a one on one with Whalley, made himself big, and stuck his foot out to save that well.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2020, 05:26:44 pm »
26 Edwards coming on for Norburn, suspect that was the clash of knees from earlier on.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2020, 05:28:09 pm »
28 The game continuing with Liverpool getting the  majority of possession, we just need to be a bit  more patient in our build up play.

Online TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2020, 05:29:31 pm »
We need to get Elliot into this more...

He’s hardly seen the ball...
W

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2020, 05:30:09 pm »
29 Liverpool get a corner after some good work from Neco. The ball goes in and sails over the area though Lovren is penalised there in a challenge. Free kick to Shrewsbury.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2020, 05:30:29 pm »
That's a penalty for handball to us if VAR was operational in this game -

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2020, 05:30:57 pm »
30 Some really good closing down there from Elliot though Shrewsbury manage to retain control of the ball. Over to Rush82.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2020, 05:33:28 pm »
32' Shrewsbury with a rare bit of possession work the ball up the pitch but ends in a goalkick to us. Up the other end and Elliot can't stop it from going out. Ball seems to have been swapped out as well.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2020, 05:34:53 pm »
33' better from the Reds - Jones, Minamino all involved and work the ball upfield. Shrewsbury break but Adrian is alert and comes out to clear.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2020, 05:35:22 pm »
Shrewsbury can play when they want too. They have some pacey players.

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2020, 05:36:46 pm »
35' Probing down the left but run into a dead end and the ball is turned around. Back to Adrian and we restart - not having much luck penetrating the Shrewsbury defensive shape on wither side.

Offline jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2020, 05:38:24 pm »
Lovely back heel from Pedro there.  ;D

Offline Rush 82

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2020, 05:38:48 pm »
36' Lovren to Eliot, finds Minamino but he runs into traffic. Back to Larouci, to Matip who feeds it to Williams. Ball is worked around but lost in the middle and Shrewsbury break again. Through the middle and into a dangerous position, past Matip but Fabinho is there to clear