Author Topic: The PL run-in  (Read 986576 times)

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Attacking #20
« Reply #1080 on: December 23, 2020, 07:48:56 pm »
I think the rules should be if the season gets curtailed, then whoever is top on Christmas Day wins the league.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Paul1611

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #1081 on: December 23, 2020, 10:51:48 pm »
Me neither. It wouldn't be that simple either. Right now we could offer very good chances to play for an ambitious player, but with Gomez and VVD back the competition is incredible. I don't think we would pay huge money and wages for a player that could be 3rd or 4th option in 6 months, nor would top players want that role. Some of the names mentioned are completely unrealistic IMO.

The best solution would probably be an experienced older player looking for an adventure. Like Klavan but a bit better.

With our midfield options getting back to full quotas, fab can continue in defence with Joel and Rhys/Nat until the return of VVD and Gomez.  I’ll be very surprised if we purchased anyone, a short term loan for an experienced cb maybe.  What does another cb purchase say to the younger guys coming through?

Offline ThePeetmix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1082 on: December 24, 2020, 12:44:06 am »
With our midfield options getting back to full quotas, fab can continue in defence with Joel and Rhys/Nat until the return of VVD and Gomez.  I’ll be very surprised if we purchased anyone, a short term loan for an experienced cb maybe.  What does another cb purchase say to the younger guys coming through?

They only way we buy a CB for the first team is if someone we want is available for the right price. If not, we'll wait until the summer. It's how we've always done it.

Offline Stevo79

• Kopite
« Reply #1083 on: December 24, 2020, 12:44:34 am »
I’d be absolutely amazed if we didn’t at least have an interest in a few cb’s. We have one senior centre back left and he is incredibly injury prone. Fab has also been superb but surely an experienced option that isn’t Williams or Phillips (despite what they’ve shown) is needed for the final four or five months

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1084 on: December 24, 2020, 09:25:02 am »
They only way we buy a CB for the first team is if someone we want is available for the right price. If not, we'll wait until the summer. It's how we've always done it.

We've never been in a situation like we are now though with 2 of our 3 centre halves out for the season and the other hugely unreliable injury wise. Adding a centre half increases our options both there and in midfield and also gives us some greater flexibility to rotate and rest players. In such a hectic season and with us having a great chance to secure more silverware, i find it very difficult to think we won't get someone in.

As things stood in the summer i think we took a calculated gamble not to sign a replacement for Lovren. If we were to wind back the clock, we most certainly would have given what has since transpired.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2020, 09:28:05 am by DangerScouse »

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #1085 on: December 24, 2020, 09:27:02 am »
In a roundabout way it might make it easier to sell a new contract to Gini too. If the plan is to use Fabinho exclusively as a CB it surely means even more game time for Gini
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline Dull Tools

• Likes James Corden.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1086 on: December 24, 2020, 10:18:16 am »
Someone like Alaba would make sense too who can play centre mid and centre back and can take over the utility role Milner has been doing. I

Unless they are very confident in Rhys Williams I think we need someone as Matip can only play once a week.

When we are playing Champions League and Premier League every week towards the end of the season we will need someone as it will be a massive step up for Williams. A seasoned pro who only has a couple of years left could be a good option as he is likely to get games next season too.

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1087 on: December 24, 2020, 10:35:46 am »
I don't think we'll sign a CB at this stage. It'd signed and delivered on Jan 1 if we were going to.

Offline macmanamanaman

• S art Arse.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Robbie Returns!
« Reply #1088 on: December 24, 2020, 10:59:33 am »
I also think the "will the football season for sure continue" risk will be a factor in financial decisions. 
I reckon we ll make do with the squad we have, patched up with youth team players in emergencies
"A Football team is like a Piano: You need 8 people to carry it and 3 to play the damn thing" - Shankly

Offline StevoHimself

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1089 on: December 24, 2020, 09:46:38 pm »
Thought this might be of interest to people (and wasn't really sure where else to put it).

Liverpool have 12 players on The Guardian's list of the 100 best footballers of 2020. It's the most amount of players we've ever had in one of their lists, and I thought I'd include our rankings from previous seasons as a sort of illustration of our heightened position in the world of football. The most interesting comparison is perhaps with last year. In 2019, we had less players in the Top 100 but more in the Top 20, and it's also worth noting that Thiago was included on this year's list largely for his contributions to Bayern Munich.

2020 (12):
73 – Georginio Wijnaldum
63 – Diogo Jota
51 – Fabinho
43 – Roberto Firmino
34 – Andrew Robertson
33 – Jordan Henderson
26 – Alisson
18 – Trent Alexander-Arnold
17 - Thiago Alcântara
10 – Virgil van Dijk
8 – Mohamed Salah
5 – Sadio Mane

2019 (10):
74 – Jordan Henderson
43 – Georginio Wijnaldum
34 – Fabinho
23 – Andrew Robertson
17 – Trent Alexander-Arnold
11 – Roberto Firmino
9 – Alisson
5 – Mohamed Salah
3 – Sadio Mane
2 – Virgil van Dijk

2018 (6):
82 – James Milner
43 – Alisson
24 – Virgil van Dijk
23 – Roberto Firmino
19 – Sadio Mane
5 – Mohamed Salah

2017 (3):
36 – Sadio Mane
24 – Phillipe Coutinho
22 – Mohamed Salah

2016 (3):
76 – Roberto Firmino
69 – Sadio Mane
28 – Phillipe Coutinho

2015 (1):
46 – Phillipe Coutinho

2014 (3):
80 – Steven Gerrard
52 – Raheem Sterling
51 – Daniel Sturridge

2013 (1):
9 – Luis Suarez

2012 (1):
21 – Luis Suarez

Apologies for any mistakes.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1090 on: December 24, 2020, 09:51:45 pm »
Gini should be ranked higher

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1091 on: December 24, 2020, 10:28:03 pm »
So should Thiago.

Offline wemmick

• Legacy Fan
  • "Do it half-assed. That's the American Way!"
« Reply #1092 on: December 24, 2020, 10:36:10 pm »
Robertson at 34? Me bollocks. Top 20 easy.

Offline actwithoutwords

• postswithoutreading
  • Kopite
« Reply #1093 on: December 25, 2020, 12:20:52 am »
Merry Christmas lads. Top of the tree again...

Offline T.Mills

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1094 on: December 25, 2020, 09:01:21 am »
Robertson at 34? Me bollocks. Top 20 easy.

I find it incredible that everyone outside of Liverpool rates TAA higher that Robbo. Proof that most of these list are more of a popularity contest.

Offline Longwood NY

• Main Stander
  • Innit
« Reply #1095 on: December 25, 2020, 10:06:16 am »
There is zero chance we don't seriously look around for a CB in Jan. I can't see Jurgen satisfied with an 18 game PL run in and the business end of the CL with one Matip back strain away from Fabinho and Williams as our first choice CB pairing

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1096 on: December 25, 2020, 10:17:10 am »
No way Robbo is that low. Best full back in the world. I wouldn't even say it's that close either. World-class at defending and going forward.

Offline BigCDump

• Kopite
  • Let's Klopp Til' We Drop
« Reply #1097 on: December 25, 2020, 11:46:01 am »
What makes these lists shit for me is that Gerrard only ever registered in it once, and that at number 80. Blimey.
Nineteen Six. Believe it now, baby!

Offline disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #1098 on: December 25, 2020, 12:02:00 pm »
The Children were singing ... we were top at Christmas time

Merry Christmas reds  :wave
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Offline Larse

• Kopite
« Reply #1099 on: December 26, 2020, 10:00:23 pm »
I love the fact that a lot of teams chasing us and top 4 play each other in the coming days:
Villa - United
Everton - City
Chelsea - Villa
Wolves - Spurs
Wolves - United
Chelsea - City

All while we play the likes of west brom and newcastle.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1100 on: December 26, 2020, 10:45:53 pm »
I’m more convinced than ever that City are our only serious threat as long as we don’t collapse. Finish above then and I’m sure we’ll win it.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1101 on: December 27, 2020, 12:54:26 am »
Just relax and enjoy the ride. We are top of the table, and we are about to have back on the team one of the top 5 players in the World this year.

Offline PeterTheRed ...

• Edgelord. Fabrizio Romanovic, Tancredi Palmerovic, Christian Falkovic, Duncan Castlovic, Jan Aage Fjortovic
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1102 on: December 27, 2020, 12:59:48 am »
I don't think we'll sign a CB at this stage. It'd signed and delivered on Jan 1 if we were going to.

There are still 5 days until January 1st ...

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
« Reply #1103 on: December 27, 2020, 02:38:07 am »
Just relax and enjoy the ride. We are top of the table, and we are about to have back on the team one of the top 5 players in the World this year.

If he can shift the rookie local lad  ;D  Not a walkover......they might have to share.....hahaha

i love thats kinda true 
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Son of Spion

• "No, I said I was WORKING from home! Me ma's reading this, ya bastids!" Supporter of The Unbrarables. Worratit.
  • RAWK Betazoid
  • Legacy Fan
  • BAGs. 28 Years..What Would The Bullens Wall Say?
« Reply #1104 on: December 27, 2020, 04:30:05 am »
We're gonna win the league, we're gonna win the league, we're gonna win, win, win, win, win the league, we're gonna win the league...  :scarf

Fuck the rest!
The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long, and you've burned so very, very brightly, Jürgen.

Offline MonsLibpool

• Glass always half empty.......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1105 on: December 27, 2020, 08:41:08 am »
I’m more convinced than ever that City are our only serious threat as long as we don’t collapse. Finish above then and I’m sure we’ll win it.

City is the only team I see as a threat especially if they can get Agüero fit and firing. The rest IMO aren't that good, they look better than they are because our(is and City) levels dropped.

Smashing West Brom today will be another big statement. I prefer a hammering because we'll be able to conserve energy and because of the psychological effect on our rivals.

Offline Lethul

• Anny Roader
« Reply #1106 on: December 27, 2020, 08:41:18 am »

Im mainly surprised people have been of any other opinion. City and us are still a league above the rest regardless of what the pundits would like us to believe.

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #1107 on: December 27, 2020, 09:44:42 am »
Im mainly surprised people have been of any other opinion. City and us are still a league above the rest regardless of what the pundits would like us to believe.

That game in hand means they’ve always looked in a slightly fade position, especially when it’s been so tight. They’ll suddenly get to second and loads more will start noticing them.

Do they play Everton next? In theory an Everton win is the best result then (although I’d be happy with a draw!).

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #1108 on: December 27, 2020, 06:36:38 pm »
Interested in hearing from the lads who think we can compete for the title without buying a CB
It’s just not going to be possible .... be shocked if we don’t buy

Offline farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #1109 on: December 27, 2020, 06:40:21 pm »
Interested in hearing from the lads who think we can compete for the title without buying a CB
I'd be shocked too if we don't by a CB, We desperately need one. But I wouldn't rule out being shocked at the end of the window.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Simplexity

• Do we need the xity? (apparently not)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1110 on: December 27, 2020, 06:43:48 pm »
We seem to have let in that terrible habit of dropping points to relegation fodder. Brighton, Fulham and WBA now, all of the awful, awful sides with literally nothing about them.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1111 on: December 27, 2020, 06:47:02 pm »

Absolutely crucial for us to bring in a CB

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1112 on: December 27, 2020, 06:50:17 pm »
We've been spoilt in the last couple of years and days like today show it a great deal.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1113 on: December 27, 2020, 07:00:54 pm »
Best to treat it one game at a time and not imagine any dropped points as a crucial blow against out chances as everyone is dropping points.

Offline deano2727

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #1114 on: December 27, 2020, 07:04:11 pm »
That Matip injury probably forces us into spending next month. At least it should do.

Offline bornandbRED

• ... an ESL super fan. aka physioSTALKER
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1115 on: December 27, 2020, 07:04:32 pm »
Inexperience will cost you. The kids and Jones in particular have done fantastically, but errors like today will creep in over the space of a season when you have lads in the side who have only done 20 games in their career. Thiago comes straight back in once fit, and hopefully Ox can give us a different dynamic.

Wholly concerning that a trend of dropping points to shite teams like Fulham, WBA and Brighton is appearing. That needs to be arrested if we’re to win this thing. I was confident we’d pull away during this period - the next two are massive now. Two tough away games. Again - hopefully Thiago is a big difference maker there.

We’re top - that’s competing?

Unfortunately think there’s little chance we sign a starting CB, so let’s all hope it’s nothing serious for Matip. Williams and Phillips are far too slow for this level and the thought of them vs the likes of Rashford and Martial doesn’t exactly fill me confidence. At best I think it’ll be another Klavan type.

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #1116 on: December 27, 2020, 07:13:35 pm »
That Matip injury probably forces us into spending next month. At least it should do.

We need another CB even if he’s fit.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #1117 on: December 27, 2020, 07:15:24 pm »
I just don't see how we don't get another CB in during January. We're one Fabinho injury away from playing Williams and Phillips at CB who have a combined Premier League appearances of about 4. There's no way in hell we win the title if that happens. Matip will be back but it's only a question of when and not if he gets injured again. It'd be madness not to sign someone.

Offline OOS

• Jordan Henderson fanclub member #4
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1118 on: December 27, 2020, 07:16:14 pm »

I reckon we can, don't know about the Champions League. I just want number 20.
"I think the most important thing about music is the sense of escape." - Thom Yorke

Offline Clint Eastwood

• The man with no name
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #1119 on: December 27, 2020, 07:16:23 pm »
Williams and Phillips should be proud of the role they’ve played, and they’ve earned to continue playing a role. I am in the ‘buy a CB in January’ club though. Williams didn’t do anything wrong tonight, but Matip can’t stay fit.