Author Topic: Boxing thread  (Read 4165174 times)

Online 1892tillforever

• "Just call me................daddy.............!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Either the curtains go or I do
Re: Boxing thread
« Reply #60200 on: June 3, 2019, 03:06:29 pm »
Thanks mate, half tempted to make a signature out of that ;D

Think that style is a nightmare for AJ, but he could compensate by doubling and tripling that jab, and using his feet when Ruiz comes in.  As it was, Ruiz was happy enough to take the left on the way in, knowing that what was coming next was a big loopy right that would miss and let Ruiz use his hand speed on the inside.  If he knew that what was coming next was another jab and AJ would still have his guard in place he'd have to stop and think.  Might mean Joshua would win on points or get an ugly late stoppage, not what he wants for his big US debut, but a win is a win.

Unfortunately there's no Manny Steward around to take him the Lennox Lewis route.  I think a shift in style like Lennox had would be what he needs.
Steady. Don't want you getting a swelled head  ;D

There are similarities with Lewis insofar as they are both giant Heavyweights with a right hand that could fell a tree; although Lennox was a far superior technician. However, you're right in saying he needs to learn to jab and grab in patches. It will lead to some ugly fights down the line but with W's instead of losses. He could also do with getting shot of some of that muscle, and managing the pace of fights better.

Look at Fury. No one would accuse him of being in fabulous condition but he knows how to pace himself so he easily gets through 12 rounds if need be. Jab, grab, be more economical in punch selection, and he can mainly avoid fiascos like the weekend. He hasn't suddenly become a mug but his flaws have been badly exposed. Time will tell if he and his team can work on these problems.

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60201 on: June 3, 2019, 03:21:41 pm »
Steady. Don't want you getting a swelled head  ;D

There are similarities with Lewis insofar as they are both giant Heavyweights with a right hand that could fell a tree; although Lennox was a far superior technician. However, you're right in saying he needs to learn to jab and grab in patches. It will lead to some ugly fights down the line but with W's instead of losses. He could also do with getting shot of some of that muscle, and managing the pace of fights better.

Look at Fury. No one would accuse him of being in fabulous condition but he knows how to pace himself so he easily gets through 12 rounds if need be. Jab, grab, be more economical in punch selection, and he can mainly avoid fiascos like the weekend. He hasn't suddenly become a mug but his flaws have been badly exposed. Time will tell if he and his team can work on these problems.

Yeah winning ugly is the key. Fury is a good example, because he's not arsed about putting on a show, he's got a style that works.

Problem Joshua has is he wants to be a big crossover star, but he doesn't have the personality of a Fury or a Mayweather that sells, so there's pressure on him to be in exciting fights. Also means he has to try harder at all of the media stuff which adds pressure like Zeb says.

Wilder sparking Breazele inside a round the other week probably didn't help either.

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #60202 on: June 3, 2019, 03:31:43 pm »
I'm scared for AJ. I didn't see anything in that fight to give me confidence that he would triumph in a rematch. Ruiz sickened him with some bodyshots and he stood up to the AJ assault after the knockdown. Ate some big shots and didn't flinch. AJ has to Klitschko his way to victory in a rematch or he loses again

I think he wins the rematch, early on as well. He underestimated Ruiz massively. All the talk pre-fight was about Wilder/Fury and setting up fights with them with not a lot about Ruiz. He didn't prepare properly, wasn't focused and just thought he could breeze through this fight to set up the big ones. A focused and properly prepared AJ wins the next fight.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #60203 on: June 3, 2019, 05:28:29 pm »
I think he wins the rematch, early on as well. He underestimated Ruiz massively. All the talk pre-fight was about Wilder/Fury and setting up fights with them with not a lot about Ruiz. He didn't prepare properly, wasn't focused and just thought he could breeze through this fight to set up the big ones. A focused and properly prepared AJ wins the next fight.

Hope so

Offline nuts100

• RAWK's Squirrel Accountant
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60204 on: June 3, 2019, 06:16:22 pm »
🤣

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #60205 on: June 4, 2019, 12:41:38 am »
Just watched the Ruiz fight again. Beware the wounded animal, 2 of the 3 times AJ had him hurt, Ruiz decked him. Joshua looked gassed, he spoke in the build up about not getting drawn like against Klitschko. Not sure what happened there.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60206 on: June 4, 2019, 04:58:33 am »
He was reckless. Did the same thing against Klitschko when he knocked him down. Went for the kill and got clipped and really should have lost if Vlad some devil left. Not everybody is ready to go when they get dropped.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60207 on: June 4, 2019, 06:18:35 am »
Joshua wants Wilder next. Wow!

Online 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60208 on: June 4, 2019, 09:19:53 am »
Joshua wants Wilder next. Wow!

Wilder already wanted a big slice of the purse before, and will want even more now, so I don't see how the fight happens unless AJ accepts shitty financial terms (relatively speaking). It would be awesome if he did of course. Short-term loss for perhaps long-term gain.

Offline Not that Gareth

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60209 on: June 4, 2019, 01:10:20 pm »
Be interesting to see how AJ responds to this, first set back of his career and questions being asked.

Not going to lie part of me wants to see Ruiz do the lot of them and unify the division. He could be a fat rocky  ;D

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #60210 on: June 4, 2019, 01:17:27 pm »
Anywhere I can get a link to all the fights

Tks

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60211 on: June 4, 2019, 01:17:49 pm »
They would deserve it for all their dicking around

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60212 on: June 4, 2019, 01:19:14 pm »
Watching  the final knock down , it didn’t look that much of a punch .
It was concerning durning the count he looked disinterested a fighter that had lost belief never put his hands up to say I’m ready to go , as though the ref just wanted him to show he was up for it but looked beaten in his response

Tactically he just got it wrong , should have listened to his corner

Wondering after seeing the first knock down , was Joshua concussed after it

Offline digger barnes 87

• Kopite
  • TOXTETH RED 4 life
« Reply #60213 on: June 4, 2019, 01:30:21 pm »

Tks
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7a22iw     Whole card on there
“Don’t worry Alan. At least you’ll be able to play close to a great team!” Bill Shankly to Alan Ball after he signed for Everton

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60214 on: June 4, 2019, 01:32:58 pm »

Offline johnybarnes

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #60215 on: June 4, 2019, 04:05:12 pm »
Whatever you think about Prince Naseem, this is a great little 20 minute documentary on his fight with Kevin Kelly - worth it just for the 90s soundtrack.

https://youtu.be/5biML1-tZEc

Offline digger barnes 87

• Kopite
  • TOXTETH RED 4 life
« Reply #60216 on: June 4, 2019, 04:17:01 pm »
Whatever you think about Prince Naseem, this is a great little 20 minute documentary on his fight with Kevin Kelly - worth it just for the 90s soundtrack.

Saw that the other day, boss documentary Naz was something else my fav as a kid.  That Kelly fight was epic, just a shame it did not go on a bit longer.
“Don’t worry Alan. At least you’ll be able to play close to a great team!” Bill Shankly to Alan Ball after he signed for Everton

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #60217 on: June 4, 2019, 04:24:27 pm »
Saw a lot of social media saying AJ looked off when he entered the ring. His corner seemed to spend time manipulating his neck / head etc.

Twitter is full of rumours of him getting dropped in sparring and his aul fella was clearly trying to have a go at Eddie Hearn in the ring after.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #60218 on: June 4, 2019, 04:37:08 pm »
Saw that the other day, boss documentary Naz was something else my fav as a kid.  That Kelly fight was epic, just a shame it did not go on a bit longer.
I was there at MSG for that fight for my 21st birthday. Brilliant night, McKinney v Junior Jones on the undercard was a good fight too. Also Hatton had his second ever fight on that card , spoke to him and Danny Williams at the airport before flying home.

Went to a few of the Naz fights around that time, always good bills with the likes of Eubank v Calzaghe, Eubank v Carl Thompson amongst others
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60219 on: June 4, 2019, 06:11:57 pm »
Rematch clause triggered

Offline digger barnes 87

• Kopite
  • TOXTETH RED 4 life
« Reply #60220 on: June 4, 2019, 06:31:24 pm »
I was there at MSG for that fight for my 21st birthday. Brilliant night, McKinney v Junior Jones on the undercard was a good fight too. Also Hatton had his second ever fight on that card , spoke to him and Danny Williams at the airport before flying home.

Went to a few of the Naz fights around that time, always good bills with the likes of Eubank v Calzaghe, Eubank v Carl Thompson amongst others
   Not a bad way to spend your 21st haha,  the undercards were so much stronger then  than they are now 99% of the time. I would of loved to of seen Naz live when he fought in Manchester, but my Dad could not get hold of tickets.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60221 on: June 4, 2019, 06:35:08 pm »
Rematch clause triggered

Thought there wasn’t one

Anthony Joshua: ‘I was so confident, I didn’t ask about rematch clause’
« Last Edit: June 4, 2019, 06:38:03 pm by rocco »

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60222 on: June 4, 2019, 06:38:28 pm »
He didn't but Hearn aint stupid

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60223 on: June 4, 2019, 06:42:54 pm »
He didn't but Hearn aint stupid

Would be criminal not to

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60224 on: June 4, 2019, 06:49:57 pm »
Would be criminal not to

As in lock him up criminal. That;s a multi-million pound asset there, you have to insure it

Offline Lusty

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60225 on: June 4, 2019, 07:16:38 pm »

Fucking hated him back in the day, proper pantomime villain. Great to watch though, you always thought someone was going to take his head off any minute.

My favourite pundit these days ;D

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60226 on: June 4, 2019, 07:23:16 pm »
Technically undisputed at featherweight. Beat all the other champions but never held all 4 belts due to politics. Top top fighter

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #60227 on: June 4, 2019, 07:26:55 pm »
Technically undisputed at featherweight. Beat all the other champions but never held all 4 belts due to politics. Top top fighter

Naz was great entertainment, but once he took on Barrera that was the end of that

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60228 on: June 4, 2019, 07:31:44 pm »
Apparently Barrera team didn't want none of Nad at Super Bantam. This is from Warren, who Nas left so he has no reason to lie.

Either way, Naz was a top quality fighter

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60229 on: June 4, 2019, 07:32:00 pm »
Really enjoyed the Katie Taylor fight

Had Katie by one round , her punches were more clinical imo 
« Last Edit: June 4, 2019, 07:46:32 pm by rocco »

Offline duvva 💅

• lippa RAWK Diivva, broke Kenny's sky
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • LFC Quiz Rivals Most Hated
« Reply #60230 on: June 4, 2019, 07:37:34 pm »
Naz was great entertainment, but once he took on Barrera that was the end of that
Naz was way past his best when he fought Barrera. He no longer trained properly and had gotten rid of the likes of Brendan Ingle etc. Had the fight happened 4-5 years earlier would have been a very different result imo.
"If you don't limit yourself with bad thoughts, you can fly" - Jurgen Klopp

Offline dikwad

• Kopite
« Reply #60231 on: June 4, 2019, 07:40:12 pm »
Apparently Barrera team didn't want none of Nad at Super Bantam. This is from Warren, who Nas left so he has no reason to lie.

Either way, Naz was a top quality fighter

No doubt mate, his punch power for the weight was amazing. But I remember the build up to the Barrera fight, Naz in Vegas by the pool and Barrera up in the mountains training. Only one winner here I thought and won a few quid on it as well.

Online The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60232 on: June 4, 2019, 07:47:46 pm »
Best British fighter I’ve ever seen, not Lewis or calzaghe, Prince Naseem. Great ring entrance, arrogant, cocky, hands down, chin out, punches from all angles, great speed. Man was a legend.
Saw him walking around in London a few year ago, super  heavyweight now.

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60233 on: June 4, 2019, 08:03:30 pm »
Fuck callum Smith Ko was devastating

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60234 on: June 4, 2019, 08:06:24 pm »
Fuck callum Smith Ko was devastating

It was. Against an undersized Latvian though.

With that said, Canelo would be wise to stay the fcuk away. Callum is way to big for him

Offline Skidder.

• Minster. Aka The Censored Baron XII. I remember watching that as a skid!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Kloppite
« Reply #60235 on: June 4, 2019, 08:21:15 pm »
If AJ had any balls and brains about him, he'd allow the rematch to be in Mexico. But even still, if Ruiz is so desperate to get a match in Mexico (which anyone would to be fair), he'd say, "Okay, best of three, my home, your home!".

I mean, that'd be the way you think gents would go about it and Ruiz would deserve that.

Hearn the shitbag would never allow it, but if AJ was any of the 'decent bloke' any of them are, he'd allow Ruiz his moment, just for doing what he did in the first bout.

Gonna be a great rematch, Latinos alike would group up and try to balance the home advantage.

Supposed self-proclaimed 'big-man' Eddie Hearn is a shithouse at heart and AJ would be better off fucking him off.
Continually on 11,420.

Offline Blinis

• Kopite
« Reply #60236 on: June 4, 2019, 08:21:18 pm »
Just watched Joshua vs. Ruiz. One of the strangest fight I’ve seen.

I had a pretty good opinion of Ruiz, especially since I watched the Ruiz vs. Parker fight live and thought that had it taken place anywhere but in Auckland, he would have came out as a winner.

On the opposite, I do not rate Joshua very highly. Nonetheless, I thought that his overall size and technique would lead him to manage this fight. Boy was I wrong.

On this fight, AJ’s overall defence was so poor that it was not worthy of a belt. What’s with that low left hand? I can understand that it was a strategy to start with, but as long as your jab is not performing and you get hammered, that’s the one thing you’ve got to change to start with. No head movement, barely any leg, I thought Joshua started badly from the first second, and was never able to change anything. His attitude in the 6th round, dropping his guard to try to show off and getting hammered for it was devastating. Either he did not have is mind in the right place, or he got too high too quick.

That’s the good thing about boxing: neglect the craft and at some point you’ll get done. It arrived early for AJ, but now he has an opportunity to get back in the right way. If his team is on the same page, it might be just a blip.
« Last Edit: June 4, 2019, 08:24:54 pm by Blinis »
What do Fernando Hierro, Carles Puyol, Philipp Lahm, Andres Iniesta, Iker Casillas, Sergio Ramos and Jordan Henderson share in common?

Online 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60237 on: June 4, 2019, 08:47:56 pm »
If AJ had any balls and brains about him, he'd allow the rematch to be in Mexico. But even still, if Ruiz is so desperate to get a match in Mexico (which anyone would to be fair), he'd say, "Okay, best of three, my home, your home!".

I mean, that'd be the way you think gents would go about it and Ruiz would deserve that.

Hearn the shitbag would never allow it, but if AJ was any of the 'decent bloke' any of them are, he'd allow Ruiz his moment, just for doing what he did in the first bout.

Gonna be a great rematch, Latinos alike would group up and try to balance the home advantage.

Supposed self-proclaimed 'big-man' Eddie Hearn is a shithouse at heart and AJ would be better off fucking him off.
Fast Eddie is a twat but his fighters do very well from their business arrangement I reckon; more than they would with other promoters.

Just watched Joshua vs. Ruiz. One of the strangest fight I’ve seen.

I had a pretty good opinion of Ruiz, especially since I watched the Ruiz vs. Parker fight live and thought that had it taken place anywhere but in Auckland, he would have came out as a winner.

On the opposite, I do not rate Joshua very highly. Nonetheless, I thought that his overall size and technique would lead him to manage this fight. Boy was I wrong.

On this fight, AJ’s overall defence was so poor that it was not worthy of a belt. What’s with that low left hand? I can understand that it was a strategy to start with, but as long as your jab is not performing and you get hammered, that’s the one thing you’ve got to change to start with. No head movement, barely any leg, I thought Joshua started badly from the first second, and was never able to change anything. His attitude in the 6th round, dropping his guard to try to show off and getting hammered for it was devastating. Either he did not have is mind in the right place, or he got too high too quick.

That’s the good thing about boxing: neglect the craft and at some point you’ll get done. It arrived early for AJ, but now he has an opportunity to get back in the right way. If his team is on the same page, it might be just a blip.
The bolded part is 100% truth. He may have won Gold at London but he had little amateur experience. The world title opportunity was a gift against a complete no-mark so Hearn had to grab it and make the millions nice and fast. The truth is that Joshua has much to learn as a boxer still. Wilder is KO'ing people but he will get done sooner rather than later IMO due to his relative lack of technical skill. A big right hand only gets you so far.

Online 1892tillforever

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60238 on: June 4, 2019, 08:50:37 pm »
It was. Against an undersized Latvian though.

With that said, Canelo would be wise to stay the fcuk away. Callum is way to big for him
0% chance that fight happens; at 168 anyway. Ginger bollocks will take out a restraining order against Smith who is all wrong for him. That said, Canelo isn't a natural SMW so it is asking a bit much to take on a man who would probably look enormous at light-heavy. That said, stepping up to fight Rocky from Stocky was a bit cheeky.

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60239 on: June 4, 2019, 09:26:34 pm »
Have to take back that Latvian comment. Ndam is a former champ so is above Latvian status. Still way undersized though

Canelo will insist on some crazy rehydration clause which will come with severe financial penalties if breached. He is the A-side though so  I guess it will be take it or leave it