Author Topic: Mansfield Town 1-2 Liverpool - Round Table  (Read 32255 times)

Offline dumbo

• Main Stander
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Mansfield Town 1-2 Liverpool - Round Table
« Reply #40 on: January 7, 2013, 08:14:44 pm »
We looked shaky, and we were lucky with the second goal.  Sturidge did well for his goal, then made a few errors which seemed to dent his confidence.  Hopefully he's cocky enough to just get on with it, he looked like a good partner for Suarez.

In terms of Suarez, I think I'm right in saying there are basically 2 other outcomes that Suarez could have triggered:
- if Suarez tells the ref "the ball accidentally struck my hand", then (by the rules) the ref should do nothing, and the goal should stand.
- if Suarez tells the ref "I moved my hand towards the ball instinctively", then (by the rules) the ref should show Suarez a yellow card and disallow the goal.

o_O.

The rule should be "gaining an unfair advantage from handball" (free kick) and separately "intentional handball" (free kick and yellow card).

Offline Not A Scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #41 on: January 7, 2013, 08:18:14 pm »
I wanted somehow a younger starting line-up, send out essential our reserve team which should be able to hammer a non-league side.  I don't now know if that would have been better, it was a close run thing which is when you want experience and calmness, but our older players (Carragher, Downing, Lucas) didn't have great games.  What was really noticeable to me was the lack of pace throughout the team, I understand that it was a heavy pitch but we looked slower than they did.  Lucas, Coates, Carragher, Suso, Shelvey all slow, and Downing couldn't beat either fullback for pace.

Sturridge looked like exactly what we need, a predator down the middle, working off the shoulder and looking to get in behind.  Two one-on-ones in a game is a good return even if you doing nothing else in the game (and he didn't do much else).  The second chance looked like someone who had been only playing in training for a few months.  If Suarez and he will pass to each other it will work.

Hero or villain?  My position on the matter is not acceptable to RAWK, the post was removed and consistently laughed at.  Where you come down is on a scale from whether you want players and clubs to be noble and good, whether you think it is the referees job to decide on what is allowed or not in the game, and whether you think doing anything to win is OK.  I want the first one, accept the second, and don't like the last but know that is by far the majority opinion here and within any other team's support.

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #42 on: January 7, 2013, 08:22:35 pm »
Hero or villain?  My position on the matter is not acceptable to RAWK, the post was removed and consistently laughed at.  Where you come down is on a scale from whether you want players and clubs to be noble and good, whether you think it is the referees job to decide on what is allowed or not in the game, and whether you think doing anything to win is OK.  I want the first one, accept the second, and don't like the last but know that is by far the majority opinion here and within any other team's support.
It was removed for your own good as it was completely incorrect and missed the point by a country mile.  You were getting quite justifiable criticism for its brainlessness so I deleted it and all quoting of it.

Very surprised to see you mention it therefore and bring more attention to the fact that you think our player is a cheat despite there being absolutely no justification for it.

Even the opposition manager says he did nothing wrong, and you think he cheated. Doesn't that make you question yourself even a little?

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #43 on: January 7, 2013, 08:24:59 pm »
I dont know if this is the most relevant place to put this, but after watching the game on ESPN last noght I was so annoyed at John Champions comments after the goal that I sent a complaint into ESPN online. It restricts you to only 500 characters but this is what I wrote:

I'm writing to complain about John Champion having watched the Liverpool V Mansfield game today on 06/01/13. His commentary after the 2nd Liverpool goal was utterly disgusting and to say that he obviously has a personal agenda against Luis Suarez is an understatement. To say 'That is an act of a cheat' was ill-informed, biased and clearly untrue.Even the Mansfield manager didnt believe Luis Suarez was to blame for the goal. I suggest that John Champion thinks carefully next time before he makes these types of biased comments!

I didnt expect to hear anything back, however about 5 minutes ago, i have received this email:

Dear David,

Thank you for your feedback with regards to the commentators on ESPN. Hearing from our fans and receiving your feedback is important and we have shared your feedback with our production team.

We take our responsibility to deliver the highest standards of coverage to our viewers. ESPN's editorial policy is for commentators to be unbiased and honest, to call things as they see them. Inevitably this can involve treading a fine line on occasion, especially in the heat of the moment. Comments during the Mansfield v Liverpool match caused offense to many where none was intended and we have spoken to our commentator about this incident.

Sincerely

So maybe it wasnt just me who wasnt happy with the way he spoke about Suarez then?

We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Online farawayred

• Whizz For Atomms. Nucular boffin. A Mars A Day Helps Him Work, Rest And Play
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Oh yes, I'm a believer!
« Reply #44 on: January 7, 2013, 08:38:10 pm »
Handball. You will not find this term in the Laws of the Game. Nor in the FIFA interpretation book. Yet, every pundit, every journalist yaps "handball this, handball that"...

I watched the game on Fox (in the US) with Warren Barton among the pundits. The other two, Eric Wynalda and Keith Costigan, may knew how to kick a ball in their time, but commentators they are not. I had a much better opinion of Warren Barton up to that moment, but his comments along the lines of "He (Suarez) has done it before, done it in the world cup, etc." really pissed me off. The two incidents are miles apart - in the Ghana game Suarez intentionally played the ball to make a save decent for a keeper. At Mansfield, when you play the replay, you'd see that he uses his arms for balance in his mazy runs much like a cheetah uses its tail, and his arm was stretched to balance his body leaning the other way. When the ball struck him, there was a fraction of a second of hesitation but he reacted instinctively and scored. He did the right thing, and the referees made the correct call, I don't care how much the journos want to drag him through the mud.

If there was a questionable call for a handball (whatever that means), it was Carra's tackle in our penalty box - I can't quite decide whether his arm was intentionally there. Sometimes he does that, sometimes he just throws himself out there.

As for the game, I asked my wife whether they plucked the potatoes the day before or on Friday for the wedding... What an awful pitch! Why does anyone expect a decent game played in a potato field is beyond me. The after the game a bunch of unhappy RAWKites went to every players thread to post "he played shite". The problem in my view is that young and fringe players need to push for the first team and need game time, but they cannot do much on a field like that. How many times we've seen a high ball drop like a bag of potatoes and doesn't bounce back? How many times the terrain altered the path of the ball? Even golf is played on a more predictable field. I'm looking forward to Oldham's better field.

The only thing that annoyed me from our players, and that may be an exaggeration, but I did not like the fact that Wisdom cramped. His fitness should be better and his game preparation should be better. I hope this is an insulated accident, because the team progression could have been put in serious jeopardy had we made all three substitutions.
Cruyff: "Victory is not enough, there also needs to be beautiful football."

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: January 7, 2013, 09:28:00 pm »
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/fa-cup/9785650/Luis-Suarez-handball-controversy-ESPN-reprimand-Jon-Champions-over-cheat-comments.html

good stuff.  also i would like to add another article in here if it's ok mods:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/9784399/Liverpool-striker-Luis-Suarez-cannot-be-blamed-for-carrying-out-his-job-and-acting-like-any-other-player.html

Liverpool striker Luis Suárez cannot be blamed for carrying out his job and acting like any other player
Whatever moral high ground you take over Luis Suárez’s goal, no footballer would ever ask for a goal to be disallowed.
Liverpool striker Luis Suárez cannot be blamed for carrying out his job and acting like any other player

By Alan Hansen

It has never happened in the history of the game. It will never happen in my lifetime.

What exactly was Suárez supposed to do? Run to the referee and tell him it hit his hand? His team-mates would go berserk, and his manager would not be too impressed either.

The first thing to make clear is Liverpool’s second goal in the third round cup tie was not a deliberate handball.

There is no way Suárez has moved his arm to control it. If anything, it looks as if he is trying to move his hand away when it has hit him.

The speed it was travelling, it simply ricocheted forward and struck him at angle which, unfortunately, the officials could not see.
Related Articles

You can tell from Suárez’s reaction he expected it to be disallowed and when it wasn’t, he has decided to get on with the game. It is not like he ran off celebrating.

He did exactly what anyone who has ever played professional football — and anyone who plays in the future — would do in the same situation.

There will be outrage about it, firstly, because it was a high-profile incident in a high-profile game. Second, because it is Suárez. He has become an easy target.

I can imagine if other players were at the centre of such a controversy it would be simply shrugged off as a stroke of luck — or bad luck so far as Mansfield are concerned — and the debate would not focus so much on the identity of the goalscorer.

People like football to be black and white on these issues, encouraging a sense of ethics within the game. It is idealistic but has no basis in reality.

Take that argument to the logical conclusion and you’d never need a referee or linesman.

Every time a foul is not given, a defender can ask to stop the play and inform the opponent he just mistimed a tackle.

Take Craig Gardner for Sunderland against Spurs last week. Would anyone have expected him to ask the referee to rescind the booking against Gareth Bale — a caution that earned the Tottenham player a suspension — and admit he did make contact and a penalty should have been awarded?

Better still, all those who are outraged by Suárez’s goal yesterday can tell their own side next weekend to admit every handball, every shirt tug and every wrongly flagged offside that benefits their own team.

They can say they are doing so in the spirit of the game.

Where do you draw the line?

I was involved in an incident in the 1984 League Cup final against Everton. I was in my own penalty box, the ball hit my thigh and bounced onto my arm.

The penalty was not given. Are people saying I should have been running to the referee and telling him it might have been a spot kick?

It is a nonsensical argument which shows no understanding of how the game is played, or the stakes for those at the highest level when the action is moving so quickly.

One of the first things I was taught as a youngster breaking into the first team was if I ever make a foul, particularly in the box, never look at the referee. It is seen as an admission of guilt and he is more likely to give it.

So, you are trying to get away with fouls. Is that cheating too? Of course not. You are playing within the boundaries all the time, and it is for the officials to determine where there has been a misdemeanour.

That is why there will be no moral condemnation from anyone within the game for what happened. Managers and players know that next week it could be their own team benefiting from such an incident.

There have been one or two situations where players have been acclaimed for their sportsmanship — Robbie Fowler telling the referee not to award a penalty against David Seaman in 1997 springs to mind. You will not find too many others.

The sad thing for Suárez is his reputation goes before him. In recent weeks he has been staying on his feet far more and there have been fewer incidents where opponents have accused him of diving.

He scored a goal against Sunderland recently where he could easily have thrown himself to the floor, but instead he retained his balance and scored. Nobody seemed to say much about the honesty of his play in that case.

Yesterday, Suárez simply followed the golden rule every youngster is taught when he first plays football. “Play to the whistle.” If that whistle does not come, it’s the fault of the referee, not the player.

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: January 7, 2013, 09:31:20 pm »
I understand that these round table's are usually for a little more in depth discussion about how the game panned out, but for me it was just a case of 'job done'

Suarez goal is a storm in a teacup and we got to see what we hope Daniel will replicate in the premier league in our attack. But really we won't learn much about a lot from that game, other than we saw it out.

Roll on the mancs, where we can set a proper bench mark as to where we are, with almost a full squad to select from.
"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #47 on: January 7, 2013, 09:34:48 pm »
I may entirely wrong on this, and too harsh, and since I haven't completed the re-viewing of the tie, I can't be certain myself, but:

Carragher must be a nightmare as a CB partner for Coates, who's not the most mobile CB to begin with. To me, dropping back 2-3 steps in clear mis-alignment with the other CB and FBs (when we're in full defensive mode and the FBs have 'returned') is criminal in the modern game. Carragher did that pretty consistently in the second half, when Mansfield began their old-school English-style attack on our goal. Three or four replays of incidents from the side cameras (those used to establish offside, etc) showed this clearly, patently.

That Carragher has a knack for heroic tackles is well-known and, in itself, laudable. On the other hand, if he himself creates the situations requiring such heroics due to his poor positioning (borne of his fear that his aging body will not do what his brain tells it it ought), it's not so good.

Of the "handball" shouts, I thought Robinson's was the most questionable. Both Suarez and Carragher's were not deliberate. In Carragher's case, the ball hit his right lower inner things before ricocheting up to his arm. Definitely not a P.K. worthy "handball". Likewise, for Suarez's "hand-ball" the ball hit his arm even though there was a half-second or so during which his arm was not in the rebound's trajectory.

Tactically, the only way for a club like ours, i.e. one without the personnel and philosophy of playing 'traditional English football', to deal with a traditional English-style long and high-ball onslaught is to prevent and disrupt them at their origin. Winning the first header if the ball is well struck is pretty much a losing proposition, even for Coates. Dealing with the '2nd ball' is a more manageable task, but we're still not geared for that sort of defending. On the other hand, pressing and disrupting the "launcher" is definitively part of our club's approach and philosophy. The 'wingers/wide forwards' and the striker and CAM ought to be doing the brunt of this work, with the other two CMs helping with the knock-downs.

Suarez is neither hero nor villain. To me, he stopped trying 100% after his goal; whether that was intentional or sub-conscious, it shows that he is a "decent" man.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: January 7, 2013, 09:40:40 pm »
Tactically, the only way for a club like ours, i.e. one without the personnel and philosophy of playing 'traditional English football', to deal with a traditional English-style long and high-ball onslaught is to prevent and disrupt them at their origin. Winning the first header if the ball is well struck is pretty much a losing proposition, even for Coates. Dealing with the '2nd ball' is a more manageable task, but we're still not geared for that sort of defending. On the other hand, pressing and disrupting the "launcher" is definitively part of our club's approach and philosophy. The 'wingers/wide forwards' and the striker and CAM ought to be doing the brunt of this work, with the other two CMs helping with the knock-downs.

You'd have loved watching Alan "I don't like heading the ball" Hansen against the likes of John Fashanu at Ploughed Lane.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline GrkStav

• Has a statuette of Lucas on the bonnet of his car which he polishes lovingly with Lucas Brasso. Glen Johnson's biggest fan. Doesn't have a "fucken clue" where L4 is
  • Legacy Fan
  • Not very good at 'banter'.
« Reply #49 on: January 7, 2013, 09:43:39 pm »
You'd have loved watching Alan "I don't like heading the ball" Hansen against the likes of John Fashanu at Ploughed Lane.

I assume AH "beat them to the punch", then? I.e. managed to maneuver around the "posting up" (to use a basketball analogy) opponents and intercepted the long-balls before they got to their target. Is that it?

Otherwise, enlighten me. If I am wrong in my suggestions, I'd like to know and have a good think-through about it.
Ludi Circenses!

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: January 7, 2013, 09:52:16 pm »
I assume AH "beat them to the punch", then? I.e. managed to maneuver around the "posting up" (to use a basketball analogy) opponents and intercepted the long-balls before they got to their target. Is that it?

Otherwise, enlighten me. If I am wrong in my suggestions, I'd like to know and have a good think-through about it.

It was always a slog against teams like Wimbledon. My overwhelming memory of games against teams that relied on high balls into our box was our defence leaving everything to Grobbelaar, who came for everything within 12 yards of the goal and frequently came even further out, while they readied themselves for the expected ricochet. Not good for my nerves, although curiously enough we managed a good overall defensive record despite our total disregard of traditional English defending.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline stockdam

• The sheer loftus-cheek of the man.....
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Walk on through the wind, Walk on through the rain
« Reply #51 on: January 7, 2013, 10:18:17 pm »

Alan Hansen said......

"The sad thing for Suárez is his reputation goes before him. In recent weeks he has been staying on his feet far more and there have been fewer incidents where opponents have accused him of diving".

I think Suarez has been told to try to stay on his feet and for me he is doing it very well. He looks an even better player when he keeps running until wrestled to the ground. If he keeps doing this then people will start to see what a brilliant player he is.

However I somehow suspect that every (and I mean every) other EPL team and further would love him in their team. He is miles ahead of every other player for overall skill.

He makes me smile every match (sorry that sounds soppy but he does).
#JFT97

Offline n00bert

• Legacy Fan
  • Born a Red, die a Red. 4-2-3-1 Ultra. DM sceptic.
« Reply #52 on: January 7, 2013, 10:31:00 pm »

So, let's get this discussion going.

The starting eleven, was you happy with it?

Yes, very pleased for the most part and to see Sturridge get a start so soon after signing and with him being out for such a long time. All in all a solid team with a good blend of experience and fairly strong side considering it was non-league opposition. Rodgers clearly feared the banana skin.

Sturridge's debut, how do you feel he did?

He did really well. I've always been a bit of a fan of his - he's strong and quick and has a nose for goal, something our front line has been crying out for despite the emergence of Sterling and Suso. We need direct players and in a 55 minute appearance showed that is exactly what we are going to get. He is also suprisingly skillful.

What impressed me the most is his movement and his keeness to use his pace to get beyond the last defender. That is going to prove beneficial to us in the long term because now opposition defenders can't press so high up the pitch for fear that we are just going to spring a through ball and he'll get through. Suarez, as nimble and nifty as he is, doesn't quite have the acceleration that Sturridge has playing on the shoulder.

Shouldn't have been booked either.

Suarez. Hero or villain?

Mountains. Molehills.

A couple of things though - I think the handball was unintentional judging by his reaction when the ball hit his hand. When you're trying to palm the ball down knowingly you don't look all surprised when it does hit your hand, which is how he does look when you watch the real time replay. It's only when you slow it down do you even think that he may have meant it intentionally. Should it have been disallowed? Yes, but he is no cheat in this context.

Second, we haven't been getting the rub of the green as far as decisions go. I would have liked for a decision like this to be given against the Mancs on Sunday rather than in an FA Cup third round tie, but I'll take every slice of luck we can get now. Like someone else pointed out, maybe this is the universe realligning itself for the failure to give us the equaliser in last year's final.

__

Performance on a whole was pretty average though. The first 25 minutes we completely blitzed them, then for some reason or the other we decided that we were going to play the ball long. Maybe it was the pitch but for all our talk of short passing we completely abandoned the system for the latter part of the first half and the majority of the second half.

Of course, when you opt to surrender possession cheaply you invite pressure so much of the Mansfield dominance was as a result of our impotence.

I think Coates - Carra - midfield partnership didn't work particularly well and there seemed to be a lack of understanding on who picks up the second ball. I thought Robinson did quite well but he did have the occassional Enrique passing-brainfart moment. Wisdom was good till he got injured and he looks really, really steady.

Lucas and Allen in that partnership were good until we started hoofing it. What's the point of having two quality midfielders when you don't utilise them. Thought Shelvey was really good in the first half and his understanding with Sturridge must please Rodgers. Downing was good too but only when we kept it short and neat. Henderson was good when he came on.

Only real disappointment for me was Suso. Seemed a bit indifferent to me but he did look good when did get on the ball. Like Raheem the lad is a bit lightweight and losses possesion with his back to goal a little too much for me but I'm sure it'll improve with time. I do rate him and think he'll be one of the best playmakers in the game in the future - just seems to have that eye for a pass that others don't see. Whether he achieves that potential is anyone's guess.

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: January 7, 2013, 11:27:23 pm »
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but Carra was playing on the left of CM which is unusual. Usually his respective partner is shifted over there.

Offline walshys_mullet

• Aka walshys_mullet. Thinks manager is a coward. Only posts in match threads every other week due to rotation. We suspect this is John Aldridge or Andy Gray posting under a pseudonym.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54 on: January 7, 2013, 11:38:16 pm »
Good grief anyone read James lawtons articles tonight? Good good grief I've never read such poor poor journalism.
"If you're in the penalty area and don't know what to do with the ball, put it in the net and we'll discuss the options later."

The Great 'Should have been Sir' Bob Paisley

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: January 7, 2013, 11:39:33 pm »
Not sure if anyone has mentioned it yet but Carra was playing on the left of CM which is unusual. Usually his respective partner is shifted over there.

he's been playing to the left all season mate

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: January 7, 2013, 11:58:47 pm »
You know what I hadn't noticed mate, cheers.

Offline B0151?

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: January 8, 2013, 12:08:36 am »
You know what I hadn't noticed mate, cheers.

Yeah I did think it was interesting, posted about it the first game it happened but no-one seemed to care much. In fact I think Carra played to the left in the first pre-season friendly. Everyone moaned when Skrtel had to be "shunted left" because of Carra, but when Rodgers actually changes it then no-one notices!  ;D

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #58 on: January 8, 2013, 01:24:34 am »

In terms of Suarez, I think I'm right in saying there are basically 2 other outcomes that Suarez could have triggered:
- if Suarez tells the ref "the ball accidentally struck my hand", then (by the rules) the ref should do nothing, and the goal should stand.
- if Suarez tells the ref "I moved my hand towards the ball instinctively", then (by the rules) the ref should show Suarez a yellow card and disallow the goal.

o_O.

The rule should be "gaining an unfair advantage from handball" (free kick) and separately "intentional handball" (free kick and yellow card).

Whatever the rule should be, there isn't an automatic yellow for handling the ball.
If Suarez is judged to have handled deliberately, it's a free kick.

If the ref feels sure that the action was a deliberate attempt to score using the hand he may give a yellow. (Think Paul Scholes v Zenit - in that case it was a 2nd yellow and he was off.)

The referee is bound by the terms of his employment not to take the word of a player in making his decision, so whatever Suarez may or may not have said (providing it was polite, of course) would have no impact whatsoever.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline ghost1359

• Loves his nuts, but can't swallow them without gagging
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: January 8, 2013, 01:38:33 am »
I found it odd that after the game people were criticising the way we played as if they hadn't seen the state of the pitch beforehand. The longer that game went on the more it was going to suite Mansfield and be detrimental to us. Trying to play possession football on that was utterly pointless. Lost count of the amount of times Lucas and Allen lost possession through them trying to play short quick passes and the ball bobbling all over the place.

As for the game itself, wasn't the best we've ever played but it certainly wasn't the worst. Was great to see Sturridge get off the mark and great to see Suarez score too. Ignoring all the controversy surrounding it, the level of consistency he has now is really encouraging. It's not so much him scoring in fits and starts any more it seems to be he's just chipping in 1 every game rather than 3 in a game then none for 2.

Overall just glad we're through, one of those games where it's just important to get the win. In 6 months time no one's going to remember this game whereas had we gone out it's the kind of game that haunts you.
"Be on the watch, the gods will offer you chances. Know them, take them" - The laughing heart, Charles Bukowski

Offline AlphaDelta

• Creepy, geeky, recidivist hose-spotter, checking out the size of your engine as we speak......
  • Legacy Fan
  • People's Republic of Liverpool
« Reply #60 on: January 8, 2013, 08:46:22 am »
Mods, I'm sorry for dragging this on a bit more, but it geniunely angers me to hear such drivel from people who are quite honestly ill-informed.
This is Mansfield's chairman - John Radfords' take on the 'goal'

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8385531/Mansfield-chairman-John-Radford-says-Luis-Suarez-should-feel-embarrassed

The man clearly doesnt know that Luis' celebration is his trademark one, and that he's been doing it all season. I thought the managers and players were fantastic and dignified in defeat, and of course a special mention for to the fans for that lovely touch with the 96 empty seats.

But..... Radford should really take note of the saying 'people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones'. If anyone should be embarrassed then it should be him for appearing on national television with all the fashion sense of Mr Magoo, not to mention a head that looks like its faced a hurricane and then dragged through a hedge backwards. Whilst I'm at it, dont start me on that clueless bint on his arm who has all the charm and intelligence of Zippy!

My message to YOU Mr Radford is if you want to openly attack our boy Suarez, then you should really take a long look at yourself and take a leaf out the book of your manager.
"I ask that you believe in this team and believe that together we can achieve great things."

Offline ollick

• Huge Dick..and a Big Knob too!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Arghhhh
« Reply #61 on: January 8, 2013, 10:47:55 am »
Mods, I'm sorry for dragging this on a bit more, but it geniunely angers me to hear such drivel from people who are quite honestly ill-informed.
This is Mansfield's chairman - John Radfords' take on the 'goal'

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/8385531/Mansfield-chairman-John-Radford-says-Luis-Suarez-should-feel-embarrassed

The man clearly doesnt know that Luis' celebration is his trademark one, and that he's been doing it all season. I thought the managers and players were fantastic and dignified in defeat, and of course a special mention for to the fans for that lovely touch with the 96 empty seats.

But..... Radford should really take note of the saying 'people in glass houses shouldnt throw stones'. If anyone should be embarrassed then it should be him for appearing on national television with all the fashion sense of Mr Magoo, not to mention a head that looks like its faced a hurricane and then dragged through a hedge backwards. Whilst I'm at it, dont start me on that clueless bint on his arm who has all the charm and intelligence of Zippy!

My message to YOU Mr Radford is if you want to openly attack our boy Suarez, then you should really take a long look at yourself and take a leaf out the book of your manager.

It's nothing more than the owner of a club trying to keep his business in the media gaze for another couple of days.

He adds nothing 'cos there's nothing left to add.
Why do people quote other people for the sigs?  What' the point?

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #62 on: January 8, 2013, 10:55:46 am »
To be fair Mansfield was going out of business before Radford took over, the previous owner was a total git, so yes he is clueless are not all owners that though? As for Fashion sense we have a guy who looked at Wembley like an undertaker, so what was it about Glass Houses then?

As for calling his wife a bint, a bit strong really a bit of an airhead yes but a bint no!
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline lamonti

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: January 8, 2013, 12:14:19 pm »
I heard all the lads on TAW going on about how poor they thought Jack Robinson was... I didn't think he was that bad. Kind of think they may have conflated their guilt over his slip and possible handball  (I don't think it was) with his performance.

I thought the main problem was Lucas and Allen, both severly undercooked and the fact that we didn't put our chances away after the first goal. That would've really poor cold water on the whole FA Cup magic spirit of Mansfield. Instead we just let them lump it into our box, which I actually thought we dealt with pretty well, but for the fact that we shouldn't be allowing them to lump it in there for 30 minutes continuously.

Starting XI

I thought Coates looked shaky sometimes, understandable considering both the lack of games and lack of confidence shown in him. Robinson, as I mentioned was okay. I was glad with the team picked... possibly with the exception of Suso. I thought to myself, he's played loads of reserve footie, he'll be familiar enough with the shit pitch and pokey ground etc but he contributed to so little in reality. Frankly... I'd rather have had Pacheco out there because he's more cutting edge and I feel his ressies form could have earned him one last chance, but obviously he's been cut adrift permanenly and the gaffer wants him out.

The Studge
Very happy to see him slot home first time, first chance on his weak foot. Showed some other great bits like where he battled to keep the ball on the right flank then absolutely burned the guy for pace and got in near the byline to cut back for Shelvey - that was very encouraging. It is of course all tempered by the knowedge that it was Mansfield Town, but taking people for pace and close control is a pretty transferable skill.

Should've taken his second chance and Andre should probably have tee-ed him up for one also.

Suarez
I am instantly bored of this debate and narrative - neither, he's a fucking football player. ESPN have embarrassed themselves. The Mansfield Town manager has come out of it looking like a normal football person, rather than a publicity seeking prick, and unsurprisingly his sound views have been completely ignored in the fooforah that follows Suarez around. Like all that shit about him celebrating, and people who get paid to watch football all week haven't noticed him do that about 40 times for Liverpool? Seriously, the mind boggles. It was a shit goal, I'm shocked that either the ref didn't see it, or saw it and thought it was accidental [which I firmly believe it could have been] - I just fully expect that kind of decision to be given as handball, as I would if it was scored against us. The laws of the game literally depend on Suarez' interior monologue! His intention! I'd say he doesn't even know himself, it just happened. Of course refs have a code of common sense which they apply, so I'm shocked it wasn't applied there.

In summation
There's little else except from a place in the fourth round to be gained from that. Jack and Seb got some time and Sturridge got a goal. Otherwise, very little to see here.

Offline LFC Boy

• Kopite
  • YNWA
« Reply #64 on: January 8, 2013, 12:14:37 pm »

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #65 on: January 8, 2013, 02:08:53 pm »
To be fair Mansfield was going out of business before Radford took over, the previous owner was a total git, so yes he is clueless are not all owners that though? As for Fashion sense we have a guy who looked at Wembley like an undertaker, so what was it about Glass Houses then?

As for calling his wife a bint, a bit strong really a bit of an airhead yes but a bint no!
She refers to herself as Thatcher-idolising.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline Red Beret

• Yellow Beret. Wants to sit in the Lobster Pot. Fat-fingered. Key. Boa. Rd. Kille. R. tonunlick! Soggy Knickers King. Bed-Exiting / Grunting / Bending Down / Cum Face Champion 2023.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: January 8, 2013, 04:51:46 pm »
So maybe it wasnt just me who wasnt happy with the way he spoke about Suarez then?

I heard he had been disciplined.  Clearly he let his personal feelings for Suarez influence his outburst.  I know I was furious when he said that.  Shouted my head off at the screen in the bar.  No other player in a domestic game would get that kind of stick.
I don't always visit Lobster Pot.  But when I do. I sit.

Popcorn's Art

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #67 on: January 8, 2013, 05:07:36 pm »
She refers to herself as Thatcher-idolising.

the club is in the Notts Mining Area so as i said she is an airhead and that proves it.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline norbert

• Main Stander
« Reply #68 on: January 8, 2013, 09:13:18 pm »
Mansfield set 96 seats aside for those lost at Hillsborough. A treal touch of class.

Offline micksmith

• Main Stander
  • We all wish our hair was as pristine as Hendo's
« Reply #69 on: January 9, 2013, 08:02:53 am »
Just like to add this.

Last year I had the pleasure of interviewing Paul Cox as part of a Uni project and we discussed a lot of things in relation to what was happening in football at the time as well as some other things.

Apart from being a fantastic bloke and definitely a great appointment by Mansfield, he was also a man who was very knowledgeable about the game and I personally came away from the interview with a totally different perspective on lower league managers and their tactics.

One thing he made very clear however was how you always have to adapt your tactics to suit your players. Paul spoke about how he wished his team could play like Barcelona, but he didn't have the players to do so, so he had them play like Mansfield instead.

Under Rodgers we've finally started to see this new system to shape and be effective. December was a great end to a crap year and so far 2013 has yielded to victories. We're also know starting to see more "BR style players" at the club. Sturridge has come in and looks good enough to start again against Man U on Sunday. He fits the system in my opinion, but only time will tell just how well spent the £12m was but hopefully a goal on your début can only lead to more good things to come.

Jonjo Shelvey for me is someone who has adapted his game very well to suit a new playing style. His eye for a killer pass is becoming sharper and sharper the more minutes he get's on the pitch. It's great to see young players like him become visibly better as the season progresses.

One thing I will say in his defence after some criticism from The Anfield Wrap is this; I believe Jonjo Shelvey actually possesses a lot more physical strength than we witnessed during the game. It has to be said he's still developing physically and as he grows older he'll his body frame will mature and become bulkier and stronger and we have to remember that the quality of Mansfield players and their style of play does mean an emphasis is placed on strength in order to beat the opposition. Pace right now I'll admit isn't his strong suit and I'm prepared to say it never will be, but if Jonjo can improve to be a strong strong physical presence in our midfield as well as have the technical ability and eye for a killer pass, he'll enjoy a long Liverpool career.

Offline TommyStag

• Boys Pen
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2013, 06:26:05 pm »
Hi Folks

It was a pleasure to welcome you guys to Field Mill for the FA cup tie on Sunday.

As a Stags fan of over 40 years I am pleased with Mansfield’s display, we did ourselves proud.  I met some proper football supporters from Liverpool who had travelled down here to follow their club. Nice folk, every one of them I spoke to. Well done to Liverpool, I don’t have a “second” team but I will follow your progress in the FA cup, hope you go on to win it.

As for the Suarez goal, well, what striker these days wouldn’t have taken the goal, I cant blame the guy for that, he wants to do the best for his club and will claim anything that goes his way. I did think the goal should have been disallowed but the referee and linesman didn’t. So be it. Football clubs at every level feel they have been let down by the officials from time to time but we pick ourselves up and get on with it.

Liverpool are one of the finest and most successful Football clubs in the world, you guys at the top of the game should try to imagine what its like to support a non league club from time to time. For me, to see world class players such as yours grace the playing surface of Mansfield Town Football Club has been a privilege. 

When I attended our Boxing Day game, whilst in the bar I heard we were planning some sort of recognition / tribute to the 96 and I am so pleased we did.  I think weather you are a Football fan or not, which ever team is in your heart, all right thinking and decent people support Justice for the 96, and quite right too.

All the best folks and may luck and good fortune be with you

Tom

Offline John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2013, 07:55:02 pm »
Hi Folks

Cheers mate, great gesture for the 96 by the club and you should be proud of your lads. I'll say nothing about the usual towards Luis. Nice one anyway.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2013, 07:55:19 pm »
Very much appreciated, Tom, and the 96 seats was a classy gesture. Best of luck for the rest of the season.

Offline Zeb

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice.
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2013, 04:39:17 am »
Hi Folks

Heya Tommy. This thread is very focused on us and our performance, but I've got to say that I was impressed with how Mansfield came out in the second half. If your manager (hugely impressive post-match himself in his comments) can get them playing like that regularly, he's going to get you up the leagues. Good luck with promotion this season, and all the best under your new owners.
"And the voices of the standing Kop still whispering in the wind will salute the wee Scots redman and he will still walk on.
And your money will have bought you nothing."