Author Topic: Round the Consistently Inconsistent Round Table - QPR 0 - 3 Liverpool  (Read 8046 times)

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Round the Consistently Inconsistent Round Table - QPR 0 - 3 Liverpool
« Reply #40 on: January 2, 2013, 09:23:55 am »
I was thinking earlier that part of Rodgers plan is to start us scoring on a regular basis.  It has definitely been an issue for us in recent seasons and I do believe that it can become a bit of a vicious circle where goals can become more and more difficult to come by.  We have shown in recent years that we can be up there with the best defences in the league but not with the highest scorers.  That kind of relates to the players you have at your disposal but is also linked to your system and style.  Benitez managed 77 goals in 08/09.  That was by far his best.  But the team was built from the defence up and that's always where our strength remained.

I wonder if Rodgers is working 'backwards'.  Get the side scoring.  Give them that feel for getting goals and build the team around that.  Football is hugely psychological.  At the moment we are on the way to scoring 60+.  That's pretty good given it's Rodgers first season.
That's the difference between Rodgers' Liverpool and the previous teams. We seem to be more "penetrative" in our play and the only thing lacking in our attack is the conversion of goals. At the other end, we need to tighten up and it may be a case of getting another DM of Masch mold.

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #41 on: January 2, 2013, 10:09:28 am »
That's a nice assessment on many levels. But where does that leave our last-day summer transfer shenanigans? Even if we forget the Dempsey power-play, we supposedly quibbled over a £15m assessment of Sturridge. Effectively, we said half-a-season's worth of goals and familiarity with the team and style of play was not worth the expenditure of £3m. If we're building from the front, that's a decision of the most remarkable stupidity. A total lack of coherence between transfer dealings and manager's vision.
Well, we can only speculate.  We wouldn't really have known for definite that Sturridge would be available in the winter transfer window for a few million less.  It was probably decided that at that time Sturridge did not represent value at £15m and especially as Liverpool had only played 3-4 games under Rodgers.  Now we are 20 games in it is a little clearer where reinforcements are required.  But yeah, the end of the summer was a huge error in judgement and I believe Rodgers paid for the owners previous mistakes when they paid huge sums for Carroll (would we have paid £35m for him if we had waited until the summer transfer window and Dalglish had time to establish a style, one which did not totally suit Carroll) and Downing.

Back to my initial post, my thinking came about when looking at the number of goals that United had conceded this season.  Even now they are on the way to conceding 50+ goals in the league.  That is quite incredible.  It is safe to say they are poor defensively.  Previous title winners have averaged somewhere between 25-28 goals against.  Ferguson made his bet in the summer when he bought Van Persie.  His strategy this year is to firmly outscore the opposition because he knows that in De Gea (inexperienced and fragile GK), Ferdinand (ageing), Vidic (injuries) and Evans (average) he does not have a solid centre.  It is a gamble but it is also fascinating (not to mention infuriating) to see this play out.  Ferguson will try to score his way to the title.  IMO, a hugely risky approach.  But they will probably reach a 100 league goals.  Just to put it into context they scored 68 in 08/09 when they beat us to the title.
« Last Edit: January 2, 2013, 10:11:27 am by Hank Scorpio »

Offline Hank Scorpio

• is really a Virgo, three pinter. Royhendo's stalker.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • POOLCHECK HOMIE
« Reply #42 on: January 2, 2013, 10:22:14 am »
That's the difference between Rodgers' Liverpool and the previous teams. We seem to be more "penetrative" in our play and the only thing lacking in our attack is the conversion of goals. At the other end, we need to tighten up and it may be a case of getting another DM of Masch mold.
It may require a player like Mascherano.  But the defence has never really had to defend in this scenario.  Where you may be 2 attackers against 2/3 defenders on a regular basis.  It is not only an unfamiliar scenario but one where they are probably uncomfortable.  Goals at the other end make it easier to defend because it gives you the confidence to play in a riskier style.

I am just wondering whether Rodgers will have to buy that type of defender.  Agger and Skrtel are 28 and it will be difficult for them to adapt.  Agger is unique and is the one of the two I would keep.  Maybe we need to buy a defender that is not only superb in the air but is accustomed to defending with open space behind him and with a little less help from his midfield.  I was also looking at the title winning sides of the last 10 years and each of them has had an English centre half as part of the back line.  I don't think that is a coincidence.

Offline Sabu Pundit

• Genius obviously.
  • Main Stander
  • Youth Never Wore Cologne
« Reply #43 on: January 2, 2013, 01:00:19 pm »
My scouse ave! (that means caesar’s greetings Butt in Roman). This is SABU PUNDIT rites SABU PUNDIT what deer liver a kiss-my-arse massage an’ undress the state off the scouse nation: Libpole FC is a midlands-of-the-table club that bin centre Coventry an’ now suffer three media-car jeers…hip-hip-horror!

And now Cure Pier match rear-view. Them says that a Beatle was place in the Libpole Camper because their was a bug and as all know Herpes Goes Bananas, so the diss session was made that no sex police we are a British an’ then the moist promise cuss had to be left behind or else Rix the Crab or ceefax-list. Number juan cass snower is  sop-statute goat keep Mr Bad Cojones so he got ban – that is the law. howeverbut WHO could guess that fat hobbit Bentos Rojas was sicks maniac? WHO nude that his fussball “flossy-fee”  was in FACT the Korma Shooter?  Oh Bentos! You josh SABU an’ the scouse wiv’ your thousand page tomb of van-dire-phragms and hysterectomy-grams an’ all that jazz: bizness buzz torque boo-schiesse..SABU un-Marx you as flash half-ling fraudy wannabe top cat: Bingo Bilbo Bilko. 2012: the true is out now. Yore’s is a Blue movie Sky thinkin’ ain’t it? You pushin’ the french envelope ‘cos you a “Popper fussballin’ man.” 

And now Cure Pier match rear-view. They teem off over-pay bye-buy Best Buffoon Date mingin’ rotten egg dribblin’ moron fraud that somehow STILL gettin’ gigs: yes they is truly MersonHarry’s. Mr Loose Wires ride the beer-fuddle  Ruddle belly creaky grey Centaur backs who more donkey so he like toothy dirty Mary what carry the Libpole Gawd’s-own christ child Alive on his Owen wiv jiz-station period now nearly TWO yeah.  Follow the star! Sadly sum of Libpole firmer mint is blacker than burnt family pack o’Polo e.g Mr Stupid Downey Snr-Moment: the finest actor off all thyme he convince Libpole he a Wyngarde worth $20M: this is Iron[y] Man. But, for imbalance, we also got young star youngster pigeon-chest wide-eye tweety-pie Lidl Bird Master Starling. Thus fly this crazy-wing hap-Hazard (less)Libpole jumbo: uneven an’ unpredict (not Englebert),  up an’ down, DIVE vs ArseStain Fella, take-off vs Cure Pier, flap flap clap trap but JUST one ingenius engine from freefall  …when willy sing Please Release Me? Harpy New Jeer humbugs. Thank you very much.

Dojo dreams be Tostao blown
Wark on, Wark on
Withe Thorpe injure Park

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #44 on: January 2, 2013, 01:01:42 pm »
Harpy New Jeer to you too mate and welcome back!

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #45 on: January 2, 2013, 01:56:07 pm »
Sabu!!!!

Offline redtel

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Sir Roger-Scored first goal ever on MOTD.
« Reply #46 on: January 2, 2013, 02:40:09 pm »
With all due respects to others this was the best Cure Pier match rear view.

Happy New Year Sabu Pundit.

Some tear producing lines as usual, notably "his fussball “flossy-fee”  was in FACT the Korma Shooter" 

;D

Will never look at Mr Bad Cohones in the same light.

Any further comments on the game would look boring, but will say that we started as though they were the mancs and we were up for it. No taking them as an easy 3pts. This was crucial to our perfect start and we need to do it again tonight.

We are definitely believers and we’ve won the fucking lot!