Author Topic: Stoke City vs Liverpool FC. The Preview. Wed 26th Dec (Away)  (Read 61881 times)

Offline ScottyBoy_21

• The Diet Coke of evil. Only one calorie.
  • Kopite
Re: Liverpool FC vs Stoke City. The Preview. Wed 26th Dec (Away)
« Reply #80 on: December 24, 2012, 09:08:05 pm »

FFS...

So what....we all know we are away......AND...... Harinder has posted some brilliant stuff over the last week or so as well as travelling down to London to support the Hillsborough families at the courts........

It's a very minor mistake...........cut him some slack.

You make it seem as if I've absolutely ripped into him.

I'm not.

I was just pointing out that the title is wrong, which he probably didn't realise and will want to amend.

I'm not the pantomime villain that you all portray me as. Try not to take my comments in the worst possible way in future. Thanks. 
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 09:11:02 pm by ScottyBoy_21 »

Offline Harinder

• RAWK Star. Top Kharbooja. Heat-Sikhing Missile Launcher. Purveyor of burning bushes, interpreter of dreams, provider of Egyptian travel before the age of 30, and saviour of RAWK. Also he has a beard.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Stoke City vs Liverpool FC. The Preview. Wed 26th Dec (Away)
« Reply #81 on: December 24, 2012, 09:32:11 pm »
You make it seem as if I've absolutely ripped into him.

I'm not.

I was just pointing out that the title is wrong, which he probably didn't realise and will want to amend.

I'm not the pantomime villain that you all portray me as. Try not to take my comments in the worst possible way in future. Thanks.

Hello!

to be honest it was missed but am I excused for having away in brackets from the outset?  :D

Changed though as it is incorrect as it stands  :)
Just clicked on the main board and my virus scanner came back with this

"When we visited this site, we found it exhibited one or more risky behaviors."

:lmao

Strip his knighthood https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/47770

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #82 on: December 24, 2012, 10:20:49 pm »
What a team that Ajax team was.....

What a team
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Golyo

• Matchday smoker fond of a good old bashing.....
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the Jürgen!
« Reply #83 on: December 24, 2012, 10:25:38 pm »
I would also favour a 352 against Stoke. But I'd play Sterling with Suarez up front. Lucas and Allen or Henderson could feed Gerrard with balls, and he can ping it to either side to the wingers, or all three of them can feed the front two with a through ball. I would prefer to play Henderson because he is a bit better in arriving to the box. The front two would need to cover a lot of ground bringing the central backs to either side and creating place in the center.
Listen, we're going to be all right, they've got someone even smaller than me. - Ferenc Puskás before the game against England in 1953

Offline Sindri

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #84 on: December 24, 2012, 10:35:52 pm »
With Kanu and Seedorf on the bench.

Good times ;D
Back when Kanu was only in his early forties  ;D.

Offline alvaro

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: December 24, 2012, 11:24:27 pm »
Ill take the draw to be honest.

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #86 on: December 24, 2012, 11:27:58 pm »
Same team again please, maybe Sterling for Suso. 

But please, please, please keep the crab on the bench

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: December 24, 2012, 11:28:48 pm »
Same team again please, maybe Sterling for Suso. 

Crab?
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: December 24, 2012, 11:37:33 pm »
I bet you those red and white striped twats take the term 'boxing' literally on that day. Suarez should wear a gum shield to protect his perfectly shaped gnashers.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan

Offline El_Pistolero

• Has authorised the people of Newcastle to serial fellate him in a modern day Annabel Chong style nosh-a-thon.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #90 on: December 24, 2012, 11:38:53 pm »
Crab?

I'll go out on a limb and say Allen. From maestro to crab, it makes sense.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: December 24, 2012, 11:39:55 pm »
Crab?
He means Allen. People say it because he only passes sideways or some bullshit ike that
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: December 24, 2012, 11:44:51 pm »
He means Allen. People say it because he only passes sideways or some bullshit ike that
Ahhhhhh

He meant Lobster
W

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #93 on: December 24, 2012, 11:50:21 pm »
I'll go out on a limb and say Allen.

From maestro to crab, it makes sense.

never heard me or get me to call him maestro, regardless of my opinion, did it not suit us on Saturday whilst he was on the bench ?

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #94 on: December 24, 2012, 11:52:15 pm »
Please, in future, think twice about posting shite like this. In fact what I mean is never post it again.

Offline Benimar Col

• benimarisblonde.col.uk
  • Legacy Fan
  • Make us Dream
« Reply #95 on: December 24, 2012, 11:53:34 pm »
Merely a nickname of welsh wizard

Offline gazzathered

• RAWK's Token Ginger
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #96 on: December 25, 2012, 12:33:49 am »
We could really do with winning this if we have aspirations for 4th
YNWA

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: December 25, 2012, 12:49:05 am »
Would be nice to nick it and if we are clinical we can do that. However, I'd bite your hand off for 4 points from the next 2 away games.

Offline Butter Keks

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: December 25, 2012, 12:53:39 am »
Merely a nickname of welsh wizard

It's a nickname if you are a clueless bellend.

I think we need to stop worrying about 4th this year and just see where we are at the end of the season. All of this up and down shite and false dawns do nobody any good.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 12:56:37 am by Butter Keks »

Offline The 5th Benitle

• Mitch Fenner and Gerry Francis' biggest fan. Karaoke James - The Sausagefest Superhero. A soldier not a Capo di tutti capi. Clapham Stalker. RAWK X Factor Winner 2011. The poor man's Sarge!
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Read, then post...
« Reply #99 on: December 25, 2012, 12:54:39 am »
It's a nickname if you are a clueless bellend.
It's clearly derogatory. Laughable to pretend it isn't.

Offline Geormajesty

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: December 25, 2012, 12:58:15 am »
I reckon we'll bring Coates in and go three at the back for this with Sterling off Suarez, and Downing and Johnson the wing backs.

Offline aliotman

• Main Stander
« Reply #101 on: December 25, 2012, 01:09:55 am »
Same line up as v fulham except Allen and Sterling on for Jonjo and Suso. With Downing in a little bit of form, its a very strong lineup. What we need is a bit of luck in front of the goal and a good refereeing. I fancy a 1 goal win.

Offline riismeister

• Legacy Fan
  • Onwards and upwards
« Reply #102 on: December 25, 2012, 01:29:56 am »
1-4, Suarez brace and our first pen.

Offline Sindri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: December 25, 2012, 01:39:05 am »
I reckon we'll bring Coates in and go three at the back for this with Sterling off Suarez, and Downing and Johnson the wing backs.
Hope we go 3 at the back. We have been way to exposed against teams that play direct against us. And Coates should be able to minimize the aerial threat from stoke(or maybe the judas midget plays and they wont have any attacking threat).
If Rodgers goes 352 im just not sure if Downing or Enrique will be dropped to the bench, would be harsh on both of them after recent performances to drop them.

Offline MatthewRedBlood

• bollockless shit bag
  • Kopite
  • The main kid
« Reply #104 on: December 25, 2012, 02:10:05 am »
Fuck going three at the back. The only possible reason one would go 3 at the back is to consider counter acting Stoke. Why on earth should we compromise our principles, to lower ourselves to their level so we can potentially "out muscle them" or however you want to put it.

Stoke will always be bigger and more powerful than us. They will more often than not attack us through physicality, but that doesn't mean we should try and match them at it.

If anything we should play the way Rodgers wants us to even more. Keep the ball better, keep it passing more, and make them work. Make their big, lumbering, oaf like, anti football c*nts running all game, chasing shadows. Make them tired, frustrate them, and eventually open up the space and punish them.

Stoke are the Anti-Christ of football, so why some are suggesting we go three at the back to accommodate that is fucking annoying. I'd genuinely rather get beat than see us try to play their way to beat them, because A. It'd make my eyes bleed. and B. We'd get beat because they'd just be better at it.

I'd play the same team in the same way, but swap Sterling and Suso. I'd leave Allen on the bench. Our midfield looked much more balanced and forward thinking without him.

I think if we can come away with a draw i'd be happy, but i do think we can win this. If we can keep it tight until the 70th minute, but keep them moving, keep them working, we can hit them on the break. Chasing a ball for long periods not only depletes the legs it fucks with your head. I've done it before, and it's seriously demoralizing. Stoke are beatable. They're hard to beat but i think most people fall down by trying to play their way to do it, and we shouldn't fall into that trap. If we play our game, we'll be alright. They're the home team in this, and the longer the game plays out at 0-0 the more impetus will be on them, and pressure from the crowd to attack, leaving space that we can exploit.

Heart : 0-0 Ht, 0-1 full time
Head:  0-1 ht. 1-1 full time
"When you walk through a storm, hold your head up high". Bad advice, I met a bloke once who'd looked up during a hailstone storm, took his eye out, blind now.

Offline Gitsy606

• Anny Roader
« Reply #105 on: December 25, 2012, 02:23:28 am »

Stoke are the Anti-Christ of football, so why some are suggesting we go three at the back to accommodate that is fucking annoying. I'd genuinely rather get beat than see us try to play their way to beat them, because A. It'd make my eyes bleed. and B. We'd get beat because they'd just be better at it.

Id take a win anyway it comes about, every successful team adapt their style of play against different types of opposition.

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: December 25, 2012, 02:32:40 am »
Tough nut to crack this Stoke defence. I reckon the only way to breach their defence is from set plays.

Offline SmithdownAndy

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC. Did You Really Think We Would Leave You Dying
« Reply #107 on: December 25, 2012, 02:33:10 am »
Loads and loads of top 4 teams go to Stoke and win... shit only 4 can and that ain't happened since Stoke came back up, it's a fucking hard place to go to
Rest In Eternal Peace Ray (shanklyboy) - Gone but will NEVER be forgotten

Offline Sindri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #108 on: December 25, 2012, 02:35:52 am »
Fuck going three at the back. The only possible reason one would go 3 at the back is to consider counter acting Stoke. Why on earth should we compromise our principles, to lower ourselves to their level so we can potentially "out muscle them" or however you want to put it.

Stoke will always be bigger and more powerful than us. They will more often than not attack us through physicality, but that doesn't mean we should try and match them at it.

If anything we should play the way Rodgers wants us to even more. Keep the ball better, keep it passing more, and make them work. Make their big, lumbering, oaf like, anti football c*nts running all game, chasing shadows. Make them tired, frustrate them, and eventually open up the space and punish them.

I'd play the same team in the same way, but swap Sterling and Suso. I'd leave Allen on the bench. Our midfield looked much more balanced and forward thinking without him.

I think if we can come away with a draw i'd be happy, but i do think we can win this. If we can keep it tight until the 70th minute, but keep them moving, keep them working, we can hit them on the break. Chasing a ball for long periods not only depletes the legs it fucks with your head. I've done it before, and it's seriously demoralizing. Stoke are beatable. They're hard to beat but i think most people fall down by trying to play their way to do it, and we shouldn't fall into that trap. If we play our game, we'll be alright. They're the home team in this, and the longer the game plays out at 0-0 the more impetus will be on them, and pressure from the crowd to attack, leaving space that we can exploit.

It has nothing to do with compromising our principles or lowering our self to there level. Rodgers has played with 3 CB a few times this season and the basic formula was the same as in every other game, keep the ball and pass quick. Only thing that changed was that our CBs where better covered and the FB/WB had more freedom.
But with 3 at the back we look a lot more solid against direct teams who have several times scored/looked dangerous every time they counter attacked/went long because our fullbacks where pushing up creating space for the other team to counter into. It happened against WBA,Everton,Villa, hell even Chelsea to a degree.
No one is saying we should play like Stoke, but it would be pretty dumb to ignore the threat they can cause. Even if we keep 80% possession they are still going to get some free kicks,corners and throw ins and Coates height could be a real asset in countering that, and no matter how much we have of the ball we are going to lose the it some time and they are going to counter.
Just because Stoke are the anti-Christ of football(like that nickname for them btw ;) ) doesnt mean we should just ignore them.

I just think that until the team has gotten a better hang of the whole defensive transition set up Rodger wants us to play we need to give Skrtel and Agger more protection when playing direct/counter attacking teams. Plus like is already said, Coates could nullify a lot of there attacking options with his height.

But who knows, maybe Lucas being back is enough protection for Agger and Skrtel.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 02:37:29 am by Sindri »

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #109 on: December 25, 2012, 02:36:29 am »

You don't go three at the back to outmuscle them. You go three at the back to kill the space for their flick on's. So when the defenders are looking at the level of pressure on the ball, they can read when Stoke are going to launch their entry pass into the attacking third (to Jones, probably). Then, when he checks into the pass, Stoke will have runners running beyond him, with a player or two moving into the space underneath him for the second ball. If you play with two defenders, you are hoping that one of the defensive mids (if you play with 2) will track the second run while the other central defender tracks the first one. Playing three at the back means you detail one player to track the target man and challenge for the entry pass, while the two spare defenders drop in to collect any flick-ons, still leaving three midfielders to pick up and challenge the knockdowns. Nothing to do with outmuscling, and everything to do with dictating the space they like to play in. Once you win the ball, you play your normal possession game, and frustrate the hell out of them because they won't see the ball for long periods. What happens then, is the forward, getting bored of not seeing the ball, drops further into midfield to collect it. Then, when they DO win the ball, they now no longer have the target player to play to, and they are forced to play wide, or play possession. If they play wide into the channels, you have your wingback PLUS the outside defender to double up and pressure 2v1 on their wide midfielder. If they play possession, they are so unused to it, that they will turn the ball over within 4 passes as their movement patterns aren't based on support movements, but penetrating runs. So eventually they will find the ball in the bottom of their midfield third, with only the two central defenders and the two defensive mids to posses the ball with, at which point they will turn it over and they will be in a sensitive area for the counter attack. That's what playing one extra defender does to a direct team like Stoke.

Having said that, I personally agree that if we can show the solidity we did against Fulham between Agger and Skrtel, then there's no need to change from a back 4 to a back 3 - especially if there's a chance of another good game from Downing. Playing a back 3 will necessitate someone to be dropped, and he would be one of the candidates. But in terms of tactical logic, playing a back three against Stoke would be little to do with "playing their game" and more to do with frustrating their attacking pattern in order to be able to concentrate more on our own.

Better looking than Samie.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #110 on: December 25, 2012, 04:38:01 am »
If there is any game in which a win will show some definite measure of progress, it is surely going to be the game versus Stoke. The Britannia is a veritable fortress this season, something which we aspire Anfield to return to being. Pulis, for all his detractors, is a clever tactical coach who knows what he needs to do to win games, knows how many game he needs to win, and knows which teams he needs to beat. For all intents and purposes, Liverpool is not on that list as far as Pulis is concerned, but it's a nice scalp all the same. We have actually done well against Stoke, in recent history, in terms of wins and losses, but the scorelines have been tight, and the Boxing Day game should be no different. The difference this season is that Stoke are probably hitting a peak in terms of the effectiveness of Pulis' tactics, and Liverpool are in a period of transition (although not as severe as some would think). An interesting view of the game is that it is a real clash of styles, with Stoke playing percentage football and Liverpool looking to play a risk-reducing possession game that relies on starving the opposition of possession and thus the ability to attack. The counterpoint, though, is that Stoke are happy to play the waiting game. What will hold them back, from their own perspective, is their lack of firepower up front (only 15 goals scored in the league), and their reliance on set-piece play (40% of goals scored). If they can't make their set-pieces count, they might find it difficult to score. As it happens, we are actually reasonably good at defending set-pieces (only 17% of our goals conceded). It promises to be a mini-game in itself - Stoke's attacking set-pieces versus our set-piece defending. They might actually turn into the match-defining moments - defend them well, and Stoke may struggle to find any attacking joy. Defend them badly, and it might be another case of "two steps back".

Stoke's Shape -

Stoke generally play in a system that works as a 4-2-3-1, even though it is usually displayed as a 4-4-1-1. There is no real difference between the two, except the defensive positions of the outside mids; they retreat rather than press on loss of possession. The right side of Stoke's system is the key area for them, and that is where they will play a lot of their diagonal long balls to their target forward (Jones or Crouch). The flip side is that they can leave this side exposed on transition, and although we are a possession team, if Gerrard has a similar game to the Fulham game, expect him to drop to support centrally, receive the ball, and look to play the left winger/Enrique into the space. If Suarez has his thinking cap on, this will be a game where he will gravitate more to our left side instead of working across the line. Attacking this space will also allow Downing more space, as against Fulham, as the Stoke back four shift across to cover the space when the right-back (Shotton?) pushes forward. In fact, if we can keep them shifting from central to their right, and possess the ball back across to Downing (if he plays there), we might see a chance of a penalty with a few through balls into the gaps. Playing between the lines for us against Stoke should be more concerned with playing in the channels between defenders, rather than the zones between the units. Beating their two defensive mids will be key. Lucas is sure to start, Gerrard probably will, so the question is who makes the third spot. Suso did well against Fulham, but it might need the energy of Henderson to totally disrupt any midfield possession they might look to use (from the second ball, rather than building play through the thirds). Their outside mids will look to get beyond the target forward, so the ability of the fullbacks to track into these spaces is crucial - and although three at the back would be a logical choice against Stoke, the good work of Skrtel and Agger in closing the space between them on transition should be enough to counter Stoke's attacks, if they can play to a similar level in this game.

Set-pieces -

The key, as said earlier, will be how we defend set-pieces, especially corners. Stoke score a large amount of goals in the 6-yard box,  so it is important that every delivery they make into the area is dealt with efficiently and quickly. Of course, the best way to do this is to avoid giving them corners and free-kicks in dangerous positions in the first place. Having said that, for any event where they get to deliver a free ball in, we have to be first to the delivery, the second ball and the outball, as quick as we can. That also includes the men on the posts and the players in the box getting out to about 20 yards from goal with speed, to push the Stoke attackers away from the zone they are so effective in.

Patterns of Play -

Although we are a high-pressing, high-line team, it might be a game where we drop off a little when Stoke get the ball. As good as he is, we can't rely solely on Reina to sweep up balls behind the defence if we're pushed up - one of them is bound to get past him in that situation. Whenever the Stoke fullbacks are free from pressure with the ball at their feet, it will be important for us to drop off, accept the long ball to our defenders, and build up from there. When they play the long ball, it will go to the target player who will be central; because the target player is central, the support runs will be tight and central. If they win the ball, they might look to play Shotton in on the overlap (if the forward hasn't flicked it on). What we need to do if we win these long balls, is to play wide as fast as we can, safely, to start to stretch the Stoke defensive unit. If their right-back is making a forward run, then playing into that space first will reap some rewards (Regained ball to Suarez/Sterling, Enrique on the overlap, carrier cuts inside, then has options to play back to onrushing midfielders, play to the overlapping Suarez, or slip to the back post area to Downing, for example). It will also force them to be more conservative, and a domino process will occur with their attacking threats dropping deeper to see the ball. This puts us at risk of their counter attacks, but it also congests the box, which increases the chances of a penalty (in normal circumstances!) being given from a dribble from Suarez or Sterling (or a run from Johnson). All in all, we have more patterns of play to hurt Stoke; the problem is that their pattern of play is second nature to them, and they have the powerful players to execute their pattern. If we can withstand their set-pieces, and keep the central defence area tight, I don't see a way for them to score. We might not put 4 past them like against Fulham, but we are definitely capable of getting a 1-0 or 2-1 score. Playing with the same quality and intensity as we did against Fulham will be a large step towards helping to achieve that
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 07:42:29 am by phaseofplay with the box instead of the present »
Better looking than Samie.

Offline CharlieAdamsLeftFoot

• has gone to Stoke with his right foot.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What you achieve in life, echoes an eternity.
« Reply #111 on: December 25, 2012, 05:49:36 am »
Can see us maybe starting with Wisdom at right back for extra height with Johnson left back, moving Enrique forward in place of Suso.
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless,
who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,
and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say

'We're Liverpool'

Offline Malaysian Kopite

• Feels shivers when he looks a Trquarista's...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: December 25, 2012, 08:42:42 am »
Excellent post again phaseofplay.
Football without fans is nothing.

We've won 18 titles, 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, but today must be the greatest victory of all.

Offline wonderboy

• Main Stander
« Reply #113 on: December 25, 2012, 08:45:49 am »
Baring in mind that Stoke are complete shithouses, I'd play

Reina

Johnson   Skrtel    Agger    Enrique

Lucas            Henderson

Downing    Gerrard       Shelvey

Suarez

Think we need to match their physicality early and bring Sterling on later in the game if we need goals.

Offline LondonRedMan

• wants to donate to RAWk because a kindly mod took away his nasty CT.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #114 on: December 25, 2012, 10:18:11 am »
Maybe opt for a shoot on sight policy against these.

We have a lot of fire power from distance in SG, Downing, GJ, Suarez and Agger.

Let's get our shots away and test their keeper.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: December 25, 2012, 10:26:16 am »
It's the kind of game where you need a bit of quality from the edge of the box or a really good piece of clinical finishing and make them have to change the way they play. Sat in they are so comfortable but if they have to chase the game then they become vulnerable.

3 at the back is an option with Coates in to nullify the first ball as he did against Fellaini and I'm fine with that. Stoke will never really do us with overlapping 2 v 1's out wide so it's a sensible  option if BR wants to go that way.

However, I'd like to see us just play our way and dominate with possession. Henderson in for Shelvey for the extra power and ability to go beyond their defence and Sterling in for Suso to get in between their big defenders and buy us a few fouls. I quite fancy a pen tomorrow.

Offline bigbear

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: December 25, 2012, 10:27:45 am »
Maybe opt for a shoot on sight policy against these.

We have a lot of fire power from distance in SG, Downing, GJ, Suarez and Agger.

Let's get our shots away and test their keeper.
Downing is the one who has been firing in the best strikes on goal from distance this season. Aside from the 3 he has scored he has struck the ball very well on a number of occasions. A goal tomorrow and redemption will have begun.

Offline LondonRedMan

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #117 on: December 25, 2012, 10:28:39 am »
The only possible reason one would go 3 at the back is to consider counter acting Stoke. Why on earth should we compromise our principles, to lower ourselves to their level so we can potentially "out muscle them" or however you want to put it.

If anything we should play the way Rodgers wants us to even more. Keep the ball better, keep it passing more, and make them work.

It's a romantic but in my view you have to earn the right to play football. I think we do need to have personnel on the ball park to counter their offensive strategies.

All teams, even Barca, will have schemes in place to counter the opponents main attacking plays. Some compromise is always made

So we should also keep in mind their attacking play plus try to pre-empt it. This could be done through 3 CBs - one of them being Coates.

Of course it's about a balance - making sure we have covered countering them and not nullified our attack and philosophies too much

I'd be tempted to play Hendo instead of Allen so as to have more physicality. Hendo has a bit of Ince about him (paul not tom)

Offline LondonRedMan

• Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #118 on: December 25, 2012, 10:30:19 am »
Downing is the one who has been firing in the best strikes on goal from distance this season. Aside from the 3 he has scored he has struck the ball very well on a number of occasions. A goal tomorrow and redemption will have begun.

Yes, he is good at cutting in and striking it cleanly. Been very close on a few occasions.

Offline Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
« Reply #119 on: December 25, 2012, 10:30:29 am »

Agger and Skrtel are great but they aren't totally dominant in the air and strong against the taller, more physical teams. We need Coates for set pieces and aerially in both boxes. The downside is he'll be rusty as fuck because he hasn't really played for 2 months.

When we won there in the cup we lost every header in the first half and could have been 2 or 3 down. Second half with Agger, Skrtel and Coates we won every header.
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season