Author Topic: Stoke City vs Liverpool FC. The Preview. Wed 26th Dec (Away)  (Read 61880 times)

Offline Antics

• Roadshow
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is what you'll get when you mess with us.
Re: Liverpool FC vs Stoke City. The Preview. Wed 26th Dec (Away)
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2012, 05:22:23 pm »
I think I'd trade every gift I receive for us to give these the twatting they have thoroughly deserved for years.

4-0 sounds about right.

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2012, 05:23:14 pm »
Would be quite funny if Howard Webb awarded us our first penalty of the season. Actually have a feeling it might happen.

Offline amir87

• gay-billeygoat-no-mates with a fetish for water sports. interrogative fingering, and nutella on his plums. possibly with his left phalange.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2012, 05:26:20 pm »
We're actually going to win this match.

Offline ScouserBrad21

• Kopite
  • Everton are a small club
« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2012, 05:35:32 pm »
We're actually going to win this match.

You are absolutely right, we will smash these.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2012, 05:41:29 pm »
One day the universe must become a rational and logical mechanism. Everything will fall into its correct place. Justice must prevail over disorder. On Boxing Day it will do.

Five-nil to us (including two controversial pens) and a (dubious) red card for them.
We've always enjoyed Boxing Day-joy, sometimes with thumping wins. Newcastle were unfortunately for them, on the end of some of those. I've always said that on Boxing Day, we're a totally different team than we have been in the last decade or so. Hopefully, we continue the tradition against Stoke.
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline MHLC

• My Horse Likes Cheese
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: December 24, 2012, 05:52:47 pm »
I've a bad feeling about this. Had a good feeling about Villa so hopefully this evens things out?

Stoke undefeated at home on the back of a parsimonious defence and 3 games without a win, so they're due one. We're good enough to take 3 points, but it'll be difficult. The size of their pitch (smallest in the league) is not conducive to passing football. They'll harass/bully for 90 mins, rely on set pieces and the pesky Walters.

It all points to a draw, doesn't it?

Bah - fuck that. Come on Redmen! A Suarez inspired 2-1 away win. Merry Christmas all :)

Offline arcticus

• No massive asset. Doesn't know the difference between the 1st and 31st. Watched the Arsenal game sat in a pool of shite.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2012, 05:57:44 pm »
We've always enjoyed Boxing Day-joy, sometimes with thumping wins. Newcastle were unfortunately for them, on the end of some of those. I've always said that on Boxing Day, we're a totally different team than we have been in the last decade or so. Hopefully, we continue the tradition against Stoke.
2011 Liverpool   1 - 1   Blackburn
2010 Didn't play on Boxing day but 2 days later, Liverpool 0 - 1 Wolves
2009 Liverpool   2 - 0   Wolves

So we haven't always had the best of luck recently

Offline andy in warrington

• ...wanking in the work bogs
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #47 on: December 24, 2012, 06:09:02 pm »
2011 Liverpool   1 - 1   Blackburn
2010 Didn't play on Boxing day but 2 days later, Liverpool 0 - 1 Wolves
2009 Liverpool   2 - 0   Wolves

So we haven't always had the best of luck recently

I remember us losing 1-0 at Blackburn fairly recently on a Boxing Day also.

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: December 24, 2012, 06:11:11 pm »
Stoke away?  It's got 1-0 to the home team written all over it.

Would enjoy seeing a bit of Henderson/Lucas action in the middle of the pitch and maybe get Sterling back on there, as he looked bright as a sub against Fulham.

Offline Passmaster Molby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #49 on: December 24, 2012, 06:11:36 pm »
I remember us losing 1-0 at Blackburn fairly recently on a Boxing Day also.

That was 2006 - was Rafa's only boxing day defeat.

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: December 24, 2012, 06:18:01 pm »
We really need to start winning some more away games. Only had two this season, against West Ham and Norwich. Although our performances have maybe warranted more in some of those games compared to Hodgson, even he got one away to Bolton. The sad thing is, if we lose, Rodgers' record will equal Hodgson's in the same period. (25 points off 20 games)

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #51 on: December 24, 2012, 06:36:32 pm »
If we can get the first goal then they will have to take a risk or two. Confidence will flow and the result will be ours. It's getting that first goal that's the issue.

Time for us to put one over them.

Offline hoppyLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @OTKFlags
« Reply #52 on: December 24, 2012, 06:39:43 pm »
Great opening post Harinder... :)

I'm predicting a hard fought 1-0 win. ::)
@OTKFlags

Supporter, not a customer!

JFT97

SOS member 11059

Offline Twelfth Man

• Rhianna fan. my arse! Someone fill me in. Any takers? :) We are the fabulous CFC...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #53 on: December 24, 2012, 06:42:15 pm »
We really need to start winning some more away games. Only had two this season, against West Ham and Norwich. Although our performances have maybe warranted more in some of those games compared to Hodgson, even he got one away to Bolton. The sad thing is, if we lose, Rodgers' record will equal Hodgson's in the same period. (25 points off 20 games)
One parked the bus at Anfield like a coward, the other is trying to play football. The latter is harder and will take longer to get right.
The courts, the rich, the powerful or those in authority never lie. It has been dealt with 'by the courts' nothing to see here run along.

Offline lfcmaster

• of pith
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #54 on: December 24, 2012, 06:43:07 pm »
the next 2 away games really are big in terms of where we will end up this season

Offline StrikingMidfield

• Legacy Fan
  • A red and green heart
« Reply #55 on: December 24, 2012, 06:47:52 pm »
Play like we did against Fulham and we'll smash em. Most important thing is to just transfer the ability that we displayed at Fulham and hopefully be able to bring it to our next few games. 3-0 for us. Got an early Christmas present from the Fulham game, lets get a late Christmas present from Stoke  ;D
Liverpool FC - Seattle Sounders FC

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #56 on: December 24, 2012, 06:52:31 pm »
Surely after the Stoke game we will have only played 19-games and not 20? So Rodgers has the same points total after 18-games than Hodgson after 20.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: December 24, 2012, 06:57:23 pm »
I'm ready for our victory.
It's all falling into place now. We're on the rise. They have had their fun and enjoyed a long unbeaten period (since November third) but now it's time to end the party. Luis the Stomped, Suarez is coming for his pound of flesh and he won't be denied. Travelling Kop will probably give an inspired and witty performance and though it seems like points will be hard to get, I'll predict a smooth, sweet and inspired victory for Liverpool.

Offline MolbyLovesGravlax

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2012, 06:59:16 pm »
Stoke are unbeaten in 15 at home. Predicting us to thump them is lots of fun, but it isn't likely. Hate them or loathe them, Stoke are a fucking hard team to get anything against at their place.
"This is Anfield, this is what they do." Thomas Tuchel

@dgljones

Offline amirani

• Legacy Fan
  • Carolina Red!
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2012, 07:08:45 pm »
Lets go into 2013 with a bang!!! A win here and at QPR would be a strong statement.
However, even a draw against Stoke wouldn't be a bad result either.

Online peachybum

• orangeyface
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: December 24, 2012, 07:20:28 pm »
They'll rough us up. They'll defend very deep. They'll time waste. They'll keep the grass longer than any other PL team. It'll be a battle that could go either way. Given how good their defence has been this season i don't see us creating clear cut chances so it'll need abit of magic or luck to score. Then we need our defence to hold out against lots of balls into the box, something we didn't do well at West Ham. I think we'll struggle to get the result.
I wanna be like Jurgen Klopp

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #61 on: December 24, 2012, 07:25:46 pm »
Would be quite funny if Howard Webb awarded us our first penalty of the season. Actually have a feeling it might happen.

;D

This the fairy story thread?

We will not get a penalty away to a team managed by Slurgies' puppy dog whilst Howard Webb is refereeing.  If we do get one we'll either be 4-0 up or 4-0 down

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #62 on: December 24, 2012, 07:30:31 pm »
God, I'd completely forgot Owen played for Stoke until I read the OP!
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: December 24, 2012, 07:32:00 pm »
God, I'd completely forgot Owen played for Stoke until I read the OP!
Owen? Who's he?  ???
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline MHLC

• My Horse Likes Cheese
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: December 24, 2012, 07:40:38 pm »
Play like we did against Fulham and we'll smash em. Most important thing is to just transfer the ability that we displayed at Fulham and hopefully be able to bring it to our next few games. 3-0 for us. Got an early Christmas present from the Fulham game, lets get a late Christmas present from Stoke  ;D

Fulham sat off, did not press and allowed us to play. That's manna from heaven for a passing side. No team ever gets that luxury at Stoke.

Amazed that so many are treating this game lightly.

Offline Torpedo Tommy

• Legacy Fan
  • Always next year!
« Reply #65 on: December 24, 2012, 07:43:03 pm »
Fulham sat off, did not press and allowed us to play. That's manna from heaven for a passing side. No team ever gets that luxury at Stoke.

Amazed that so many are treating this game lightly.

Exactly how I see it having read through this thread.  If we win we will have worked hard for it and deserved it - or had a massive slice of luck that we are well and truly overdue.

Offline GerrardRock2

• Good for upset tummies.....
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I'm muted, not sure why? Allow in-match threads
« Reply #66 on: December 24, 2012, 08:07:37 pm »
Whilst we reflect during the Christmas period and share prayers/thoughts for the families of our gone but not forgotten 96 and survivors of Hillsborough, spare a thought for one of our ex-players. It will be his first Christmas without his father who passed away suddenly a week or two ago. Knowing what this feels like having experienced it myself in July 2010 it is a tough place to be. My heart goes out to him too.

Charlie Adam – you’ll never walk alone. RIP Charlie Adam Snr.

I know the traveling Kop will make us proud with a proper show of support and respect for Charlie during this most difficult Christmas Season. R.I.P. Charlie Sr. YNWA Charlie, top professional while he was here, a lot of respect for the lad.

Offline Believe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: December 24, 2012, 08:33:28 pm »
Stokes defensive record this season is very impressive - in fact I believe they have conceded the fewest goals (possibly at home, not overall) in the top five European leagues which I reluctantly have some respect for. They will be very happy to concede possession, set up their lines and deny us space at every opportunity - in essence asking us to break them down which we usually struggle to do. I'll be interested to see how BR approaches them at the Britannia and if any 'special' tactical shuffles will be made.

Offline ScouserBrad21

• Kopite
  • Everton are a small club
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2012, 08:35:02 pm »
W
Owen? Who's he?  ???

Where was he in Istanbul?

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #69 on: December 24, 2012, 08:40:30 pm »
Good OP.

Going to be a very hard game

They've only conceded 3 goals at the Britannia all season. But weirdly they've only scored 8. I don't think it's impossible to beat them though because they're always prepared to just sit back and let us have the ball. It's what we actually do with it that counts. It will come down to the same thing it more or less always comes down to with us, and that is if we take our chances we win the game.

We did beat them there in the League Cup last season, and we were extremely unfortunate not to get anything in the league game.

The stamp will be fresh in Suarez' mind. He will be charged up, don't make any mistake about that.

It's simple. We're clinical - we win.
YWNA

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: December 24, 2012, 08:43:39 pm »
Looking forward to the inevitable meltdown from StokieSteve when someone dares criticise Stoke

Online TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #71 on: December 24, 2012, 08:45:01 pm »
Good OP.

Going to be a very hard game

They've only conceded 3 goals at the Britannia all season. But weirdly they've only scored 8. I don't think it's impossible to beat them though because they're always prepared to just sit back and let us have the ball. It's what we actually do with it that counts. It will come down to the same thing it more or less always comes down to with us, and that is if we take our chances we win the game.

We did beat them there in the League Cup last season, and we were extremely unfortunate not to get anything in the league game.

The stamp will be fresh in Suarez' mind. He will be charged up, don't make any mistake about that.

It's simple. We're clinical - we win.
They've become more difficult to beat and are tighter at the back.

A very professional side who are a real handful and extremely powerful.

Sometimes they are agricultural, at other times they play good pacey football.

I've nothing against the half bred, incestuous, cretins ;)
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline ScottyBoy_21

• The Diet Coke of evil. Only one calorie.
  • Kopite
« Reply #72 on: December 24, 2012, 08:46:26 pm »
The title of the OP is wrong. Should be Stoke vs Liverpool. Home team on the left.

This game on TV?

Offline MrEazi1

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #73 on: December 24, 2012, 08:47:42 pm »
Fuck's sake we beat Fulham 4-0, the team is rejuvenated and we have to play this rugby team next up. There always is a penalty decision that we don't get, Suarez gets kicked all over the place and the usual moaning from Pulis about diving when its his team that crosses the line between physicality and downright rugby tactics. Howard Webb is in charge so a refereeing controversy is nailed on for this.

All that aside, I'd definitely look to play Coates, they'll be a real danger at set-pieces, especially the likes of Crouch and we need height and a physical presence at the back, so we should consider going with three at the back, and allow Johnson and Enrique, the wing-backs to just bomb forward as there will probably be more space down the wide areas as they'll defend deep and leave little space between the lines. We really need to be taking our chances, we dominated them last season and yet lost 1-0. To be fair to Stoke, conceding 3 goals at home and having one of the best defensive records in the league is impressive, they'll press us and not let us have time on the ball like Fulham did.

Going to be a tough ask but three points at their lot, considering our fairly poor record against them in recent years, would be a huge sign of progress.

RIP Charlie Adam senior.
« Last Edit: December 24, 2012, 08:50:33 pm by MrEazi1 »

Offline shizzledizzle

• Kopite
« Reply #74 on: December 24, 2012, 08:52:19 pm »
The title of the OP is wrong. Should be Stoke vs Liverpool. Home team on the left.

This game on TV?

Maybe he wanted to highlight the fact that when we are at Stoke we feel at home...

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: December 24, 2012, 08:55:39 pm »
It'll be a battle for sure, I think this could come down to a Suarez free kick or a long overdue Stevie screamer. I'm not sure what else could work against them really, we can't tire them with passing as they'll just sit deep and wait, we can't play through them due to their physical tactics and we can't rely on them giving away too many fouls because we're us.

Offline SYLENTm

• ight be a total uppet :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • This is Anfield!
    • The Liverpool Way / My FM Story (to start soon)
« Reply #76 on: December 24, 2012, 08:55:44 pm »
Dunno about getting at least one past the 11 men wall, but I can't see them scoring
Must admint Cesc is a great prospect new him before he went to Arsenal, same with Pique(now at ManU) and Messi also from Barcelona. Watch out for these guys in the future look very good.

Get him in the scouting team ASAP!

Offline gorwar61

• Main Stander
  • "Facta Non Verba"
« Reply #77 on: December 24, 2012, 08:56:38 pm »
I would take a 0 - 0 bore draw along with all our players coming through uninjured.

Stoke deserve a beating, a good lesson in football, but we wont get any pens there or anywhere, Suarez needs to keep his cool and not go stamping on Huff.

Offline hoppyLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @OTKFlags
« Reply #78 on: December 24, 2012, 09:02:09 pm »

FFS...

So what....we all know we are away......AND...... Harinder has posted some brilliant stuff over the last week or so as well as travelling down to London to support the Hillsborough families at the courts........

It's a very minor mistake...........cut him some slack.
@OTKFlags

Supporter, not a customer!

JFT97

SOS member 11059

Online Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: December 24, 2012, 09:06:31 pm »
It'll be a battle for sure, I think this could come down to a Suarez free kick or a long overdue Stevie screamer. I'm not sure what else could work against them really, we can't tire them with passing as they'll just sit deep and wait, we can't play through them due to their physical tactics and we can't rely on them giving away too many fouls because we're us.

I take this back actually, I just took a look and it looks like no teams have scored against Stoke in the league from outside the box.