Author Topic: Preview: Liverpool FC v Fulham FC - 22 December 2012 - k/o: 17.30  (Read 51074 times)

Offline SuperMilan

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Preview: Liverpool FC v Fulham FC - 22 December 2012 - k/o: 17.30
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2012, 08:59:28 am »
FFS people cheer up. Before Villa happened most people were happy with how we were going. We lost one game and suddenly the forum becomes miserable. I'm not saying we should be incredibly optimistic but we shouldn't be this pessimistic. There is a balance. We are no where near as bad as most of you are saying.

Rodgers said after the West Brom game to expect more games like that. Guess what people? We just had another game like that. Last time we played like this we bounced back and outplayed the league champions. Should have won too, if not for a stupid decision by Skrtel.

I expect us to bounce back. Fulham are completely different to Villa, they won't play on the counter like Villa did and they'll likely come at us more. This should play into our hands.

Cheer up guys. Fuck.

Mate i want to be pessimistic as you say, but lets be honest we have won 5 games all season from 17 games, but if we have not scored after 25min sat, that pessimisim will disappear faster than a bank robber.
Because you know, and i know, that this side will run out of ideas, and their heads go down.
If Everton where playing outside my house, I'de close the curtains.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2012, 09:02:49 am »
Yes but you have to fight the toxic optimism somehow.
It's killing this site and Liverpool fans in general.

Offline SuperMilan

• Kopite
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2012, 09:25:48 am »
Yes but you have to fight the toxic optimism somehow.
It's killing this site and Liverpool fans in general.

agree with you mate, but dont you think the team could help aswell, at times i sit in the ground, having paid my hard earned, and look around at some of the players, and to be honest some of them dont look arsed, just happy to pick up a big wage wk after wk.
So yes mate i want to be optimistic, but it works both ways.
If Everton where playing outside my house, I'de close the curtains.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
Preview: Liverpool FC v Fulham FC - 22 December 2012 - k/o: 17.30
« Reply #83 on: December 20, 2012, 09:02:53 am »
Would like to see a midfield of Lucas Sahin and Henderson. Gerrard and Allen could both use a rest.

Me too.

I think Sahin would help alongside Lucas, give us a really good tempo to our play, then ahead of them you have the movement and athleticism of Henderson.

Footballing wise, we should do that. Politics-wise, our manager is too green to drop the Captain yet, maybe I am wrong?
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #84 on: December 20, 2012, 09:06:05 am »
Mods, if we lose this, close down Rawk and just have an animated gif of a dummy being thrown out of a rubber play pen.
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: December 20, 2012, 09:21:27 am »
This game could be a mirror image of the Villa game if we are not careful tactically. Although Fulham won't have the same type of Battering Ram forward that Villa had in Benteke, they do have the subtlety of Berbatov, some physicality from Rodallega, and the workrate and trickiness of Duff for us to be concerned about.

Having seen how Villa did damage to our backline, It wouldn't be surprising to see Jol play a 4-4-2 rather than a 4-4-1-1, to take advantage of the gap between Agger and Skrtel on transition that Villa clearly targeted. Although the make-up of the two forwards will be different, and they will play off different dynamics, if either Agger or Skrtel have a bad day, it could be a repeat of the Villa game - early dominance, no reward, 1 or 2 counterattacks and suddenly we're in trouble from a seeming position of strength. Tactically, this might be a game for BR to start with a back three and see how things develop. We can still dominate possession, and our attack isn't exactly firing on all cylinders in terms of goals, so it's not as if we will be tampering with a winning formula. On the other hand, our central area will be better protected, and perhaps a stouter defence might lend the attack a degree of patience by not making them think they HAVE to score on every attack because the other team are bound to get one. This relaxedness might translate to better shots on target, and hopefully goals, if we go for a 3-5-2. If we play our usual 4-3-3 though, there might be a nervousness about us that translates to mistakes again, on an individual level.

In terms of attacking spaces, we could see us focus on their right side, through our left. Alternatively, if Lucas is feeling strong, he might look to get some of his decent through balls to Sterling or Johnson. If we attack down the left, it's probably going to be Downing LB and Enrique as the winger (if fit), with some overlapping and early crosses. Unfortunately, the opposite side will be occupied most likely by Sterling, who isn't adept at getting on the end of those types of balls. What could be successful is Lucas playing through to Johnson on the overlap of Sterling, and Enrique getting into the back post area on the end of a Johnson cross. Alternatively, the pattern might develop as Lucas - Johnson - Suarez - Enrique. Either way, if Enrique is fit, getting him running into that area and getting the ball across Schwarzer might generate a goal - Schwarzer is a puncher, and if he messes one up Enrique has shown an eye for being in the right area behind the keeper on the weak side.

Midfield will be interesting, as one or both of Gerrard and Allen need a break, as they did against Villa. Whether BR will drop either is a big question. If he does, it's possibly more likely to be Allen than the captain. Henderson might be perceived as an impact sub, but this is a game he could see a start in. Alternatively, if Sahin is able to play, he might get a return beside Lucas. If he does, expect to see a more varied attack in terms of releasing both Enrique and Johnson, with Sterling cutting inside.

Assuming we play the usual back four, Lucas will also be important in dropping between Skrtel and Agger on transition. This will be especially helpful given that they play through Berbatov a lot (if he plays). Disrupting this supply line will give Agger and Skrtel time to recover into support positions to take care of Rodallega's runs (if Rodallega supports Berbatov up front). Duff likes to cut in on the right, so Downing will have to be alert to this constantly. On the other hand, it gives Downing the chance to intercept a little better, as the passes will be coming into his stride on his strong foot. Sidwell and Baird are solid, but they can be beaten easily with quick play on attack and defence. Baird doesn't give the ball away too easily, but he can be caught out of position, while Sidwell - strong in the tackle - has an errant eye for a pass and might give the ball back easily to either our central defenders or one of the fullbacks. For this reason, it might be better for the midfield to have a base of Lucas-Sahin for positional discipline in order to take advantage of Sidwell and Baird's combined frailties. Having the third central mid, be it Gerrard, Allen, Shelvey or Henderson, will give us the opportunity to outnumber them too, and hurt them in the space between midfield and defence which Baird will inevitable leave at some point. For this reason, then, Suso might be the better bet, but will BR be brave enough to go for a Lucas-Sahin-Suso midfield after a shock defeat? Probably not, but that midfield might be better placed to take advantage of the Sidwell-Baird axis than a Lucas-Gerrard-Allen one.

Overall, Fulham will sit back in their defensive third and midfield, and we will probably have our usual abundance of possession, while they will look to hit us down the middle on the break, with Duff cutting in to support the two forwards, and Kacaniklic initiating passes into the central space, or Sidwell/Baird looking for Duff/Kacaniklic. Riise will make a few overlapping runs, although I think he will be less adventurous as we remember him for us. If BR goes for the 4-3-3, and plays a central axis of Lucas-Gerrard-Allen, it will be both predictable and playable for Fulham. If he throws a few wrinkles in, though, we could overrun the Fulham midfield, keep it high and tight in the back (with Lucas dropping) and we would only have to use Suarez as a dummy run and serve balls to Enrique from the right or Sterling/Johnson from the left to give ourselves some good chances to put the ball in the net. Add to that any sparks of skill from Suarez, and once again we can see the optimistic side of a good win. Unfortunately, we might also see the total collapse of our defensive structure and a goal or two against us if we switch off like we did against Villa, or if BR doesn't recognize when the other team has developed a plan against us.

Like that. How much have you been scouting them?

Agree that they're likely to try and play 4-4-2, to try and copy Villa. And hurt us in the center. I like the idea of Lucas-Sahin. Would prefer four at the back myself, but 3-5-2 with those two in front of three CBs should give us a good, solid center. I'd be slightly concerned about the flanks and the work we'd lay on our wing-backs. But maybe that's what we should try now.

Suarez Sterling
Gerrard
Enrique Lucas Sahin Johnson
Agger Coates Skrtel
Reina

???

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline redan

• yellowan pinkan green. purplean orangean blue.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'd prefer a beer!!
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2012, 09:22:05 am »
Personally I would love to see a midfield trio of Lucas, Henderson and Sahin however it's not going to happen. Last week was such a limp midfield display however I cannot see BR dropping both Allen and Gerrard in the same game with it being so important to bounce back. Would also like to see Suso and Assaidi given more game time (Wishful thinking perhaps)

Offline richiedouglas

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • You feed beefburgers to swans!
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2012, 09:24:01 am »
I've not seen Fulham a great amount this season, but what I have seen makes me think that Steve Sidwell could be a thorn in our side. It's these sort of midfielders we've struggled against this season.

With Berbatov up top I can't see us being torn apart as directly as Villa but they do have the ability to hit on the break.

Offline hoppyLFC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • @OTKFlags
« Reply #88 on: December 20, 2012, 09:53:09 am »
O'h come all ye faithful,  lets not be negative....we need a win and we will get one.........end of.

I'm predicting us winning 2-0, Suarez getting both...................you heard it here first. :wave

:)

:)             :)             :)              :)

:)             :)           :)              :)

:)                     :)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 09:55:08 am by hoppyLFC »
@OTKFlags

Supporter, not a customer!

JFT97

SOS member 11059

Offline arcticus

• No massive asset. Doesn't know the difference between the 1st and 31st. Watched the Arsenal game sat in a pool of shite.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: December 20, 2012, 09:54:35 am »
Fulham were so shit last week, so expecting them to up their game and try to do a Villa.

1-0 to us.

Stevie with the goal.

Offline 5ive Times

• Main Stander
« Reply #90 on: December 20, 2012, 10:36:39 am »
This will be harder than some think but think we will just have the edge.
Rome   London   Paris   Rome   Istanbul

Offline Anywhichwayicant

• Clique member #2,367, #FakeNews. Banned Closet Bluenose. "Captain, I am sensing the bleeding obvious!"
  • Legacy Fan
  • I'm too moist and tender to retire.
« Reply #91 on: December 20, 2012, 02:43:57 pm »
Jol is clever so his tactics should be spot on, and he has the players to to score some goals.

Still predicting a score draw.

Offline Ashfordian

• Softlad
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: December 20, 2012, 03:33:28 pm »
To me, Suarez is not at the levels he was at Ajax or when he first signed. Since the Copa America he has looked shattered and not been the world class player we know he is on a consistent basis. 
He was the top scorer in the league until the other week. Fucking hell what more do people want from him?

I actually think he's getting better and better - especially since he's stopped his pathetic antics and diving. I laugh at what he achieves each game with his skill as some of what he pulls off as some of it seems impossible. His goal against Newcastle was sublime and if it was Messi he'd be getting wanked all over in the press (although Suarez did get his deserved recognition)

I seriously cannot see how you can say Suarez hasn't been in form.

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #93 on: December 20, 2012, 03:36:07 pm »
Seems to me that Allen and Lucas are not used to playing each other and keep leaving players for the other guy to pickup. If this system is going to work, they have to be in perfect harmony and can't leave players unmarked so much.

Offline Ashfordian

• Softlad
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: December 20, 2012, 03:41:56 pm »
Seems to me that Allen and Lucas are not used to playing each other and keep leaving players for the other guy to pickup. If this system is going to work, they have to be in perfect harmony and can't leave players unmarked so much.
How many games have Allen and Lucas played together so far since Allen came in?

West Brom away, Southampton home, West Ham away and Villa at home.

Are you expecting fireworks after 4 games?

FML.

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2012, 03:48:13 pm »
How many games have Allen and Lucas played together so far since Allen came in?

West Brom away, Southampton home, West Ham away and Villa at home.

Are you expecting fireworks after 4 games?

FML.

What is with the drama?

Offline Ashfordian

• Softlad
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: December 20, 2012, 03:51:04 pm »
What is with the drama?
No drama - just asking a legitimate question to your opinion on the fact that Lucas and Allen can't play together.

Offline gorgepir

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: December 20, 2012, 03:54:19 pm »
No drama - just asking a legitimate question to your opinion on the fact that Lucas and Allen can't play together.

I said they need have much more harmony for the system to work than they have now, not that they can't play together. And the drama was the FML part.

Offline Ashfordian

• Softlad
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #98 on: December 20, 2012, 04:00:29 pm »
Seems to me that Allen and Lucas are not used to playing each other and keep leaving players for the other guy to pickup.

They've played 4 games together...

Some people take the internet to heart way too easily also.

Offline Lucas DuoFlush

• Legacy Fan
  • Bring Poulsy back!
« Reply #99 on: December 20, 2012, 04:04:30 pm »
What? The guy is saying exactly what you said. They don't yet seem able to play together. He's not saying "never in a million years will the partnership work", just that it needs time..
"Bos non modo animal, sed etiam mater" Lordanem Henderson

Offline Ashfordian

• Softlad
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #100 on: December 20, 2012, 04:15:22 pm »
What? The guy is saying exactly what you said. They don't yet seem able to play together. He's not saying "never in a million years will the partnership work", just that it needs time..
What's with the drama?

Offline didi

• A complete Klopp out
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: December 20, 2012, 04:36:11 pm »
I've not seen Fulham a great amount this season, but what I have seen makes me think that Steve Sidwell could be a thorn in our side. It's these sort of midfielders we've struggled against this season.

With Berbatov up top I can't see us being torn apart as directly as Villa but they do have the ability to hit on the break.

Sidwell is suspended

Offline RogerTheRed

• Danke Juergen
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • There's a golden sky on the way
« Reply #102 on: December 20, 2012, 04:47:59 pm »
Come On Redmen!
Strong response required here along with some determination
Come On You Mighty Scouse Reds!!

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #103 on: December 20, 2012, 05:12:12 pm »
Ince hattrick.. Berbaflop always has a killer game against us, but other than him no worries.

Offline lessthanmatt

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #104 on: December 20, 2012, 05:15:18 pm »
                                              :)

:)             :)             :)              :)

:)             :)           :)              :)

:)                     :)

No Christmas tree formation? ;D

I fancy us here, but I also fancied us against Villa. Expecting a strong response from the players to that performance in front of the home crowd once more.
"I want to get off Mr. Rodgers Wild Ride"

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #105 on: December 20, 2012, 05:25:18 pm »
Sidwell is suspended

Interesting - I thought he was one card away. Might be Karagounis in for him then? I think that helps our midfield in some respects if that's who Jol plays, but it might mean Berbatov dropping off more, and overloading the zone Lucas plays in, and creating space for Rodallega or Petric to play in - although if Jol scouted us well, he'd be silly not to put two in the space between Agger and Skrtel and hope BR doesn't play a back 3. This will be a game where the balance of the midfield will be especially crucial because teams will start to work out how to play against our split centrebacks and we can only counter it by playing a back 3 or solidifying the midfield. Important that BR gets this right.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Thog

• Seeking oral advice. Hibernates outside of the transfer windows.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #106 on: December 20, 2012, 05:51:00 pm »
Interesting - I thought he was one card away. Might be Karagounis in for him then? I think that helps our midfield in some respects if that's who Jol plays, but it might mean Berbatov dropping off more, and overloading the zone Lucas plays in, and creating space for Rodallega or Petric to play in - although if Jol scouted us well, he'd be silly not to put two in the space between Agger and Skrtel and hope BR doesn't play a back 3. This will be a game where the balance of the midfield will be especially crucial because teams will start to work out how to play against our split centrebacks and we can only counter it by playing a back 3 or solidifying the midfield. Important that BR gets this right.

Baird and Karagounis expected in midfield.

Offline 5ive Times

• Main Stander
« Reply #107 on: December 20, 2012, 05:58:27 pm »
Have some faith everyone, we're not THAT bad.

In fact, we have a better team than Fulham and most teams even in the top half of the table.

We'll win.
Rome   London   Paris   Rome   Istanbul

Offline JerseyKloppite

• HE'S THE DADDY!!! Staff Room Gimp. Very excited, but cheapened, mail order scam victim with bling headphones. Lovespuds. Jaqen H'ghar, the Mod without a Face.
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
  • Exiled to Formby
« Reply #108 on: December 20, 2012, 06:06:21 pm »
                               Reina
                                  ::)

Johnson         Skrtel          Agger         Enrique
     :)                >:(              8)               :P

Lucas           Henderson
                         ;)                  :-\

Gerrard                Shelvey                     Sterling
       :-*                      :o                            :D   

Suarez
                                  ;D   

Sorted.

Offline RGF30

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
    • Insurance
« Reply #109 on: December 20, 2012, 06:21:07 pm »
Felt we were going to destroy Villa, and instead we got hammered, so let me rather feel like we are going to get destroyed by Fulham, and see what happens :-X.

Offline RGF30

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
    • Insurance
« Reply #110 on: December 20, 2012, 06:23:41 pm »
  Gerrard
       :-* 

Gerrard should be this one at the moment  :-X seeings thou he is not talking to the Ref or teammates enough. 

Offline BreakfastPercy

• Legacy Fan
  • Follow me: @BreakfastPercy
« Reply #111 on: December 20, 2012, 06:43:22 pm »
I've watched some of Fulham this year and agree on this point. When Fulham are struggling Berbatov has a habit of dropping into midfield and playmaking, but given his work ethic and languid style he doesn't always join the attacks he starts. That would suit us much better than a Villa-clone Fulham. The earlier we get on top, the earlier Berbatov will be forced into Lucas' zone, and I'd even suggest man-marking Berbatov in the first 20mins to force him deeper (although it's unlikely to happen).

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #112 on: December 20, 2012, 06:56:17 pm »
Think we'll win, however villa showed that if you don't take your chances early then we can easily come unstuck.

Offline Euskadi

• Legacy Fan
  • Main Stander
« Reply #113 on: December 20, 2012, 07:50:54 pm »
                               Reina

Suarez
                                  ;D   

Sorted.

thats brilliant mate haha!
;D  Mate of mine and me are the same, everyone swears we are brothers when we're out. He calls me slaphead, I call him slaphead, so when I see him I go "slap" and he replies "slap. People be looking and thinking what the f**k are these 2 on  ;D
but he's a blue nose, so he's a c*nt

as per "Slaphead" on the 10th May 2018

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • And the sweet silver song of a lark..
« Reply #114 on: December 20, 2012, 07:59:05 pm »
They've only won one away match all season so I guess we know how this one will go.

Team wise, Allen and Sterling definitely deserve to be 'rested' for this one, both look very tired and their performances haven't been that good as of late. Rodgers moaning that he doesn't have cover for them is nonsense, Henderson or Sahin could easily replace Allen in the team and he seems to have forgotten all about Suso and Assaidi.

Before they came to visit us, Villa had won 1 game away all season too.

Honestly, the PL isn't what it used to be. Any team can show up anywhere and win at any time.

A few months ago everyone had written Norwich off, and had them as certainties to go down.
YWNA

Offline redgriffin73

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Thanks for everything Rafa. Nunca Caminarás Solo.
« Reply #115 on: December 20, 2012, 07:59:39 pm »
                               Reina

Suarez
                                  ;D   

Sorted.

Brilliant! ;D
Rafa Benitez: "I'll always keep in my heart the good times I've had here, the strong and loyal support of the fans in the tough times and the love from Liverpool. I have no words to thank you enough for all these years and I am very proud to say that I was your manager. Thank you so much once more and always remember: You'll never walk alone."

Offline Thog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #116 on: December 20, 2012, 08:05:39 pm »
Before they came to visit us, Villa had won 1 game away all season too.

Honestly, the PL isn't what it used to be. Any team can show up anywhere and win at any time.

A few months ago everyone had written Norwich off, and had them as certainties to go down.

That's the point he's trying to make mate.

Offline Thog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: December 20, 2012, 08:15:22 pm »
Can see a 3-4-3/3-5-2 formation in the offing here, because Fulham only have two central midfielders available but also will look at the game last week and how well Aston Villa did with two upfront. Either that, or a Downing and Enrique partnership down the left for a bit more defensive solidity. Sterling and Allen will get  deserved rest, I'm pretty sure.

Carragher or Downing/Enrique is the only question mark I think. Suso will probably come back in.

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: December 20, 2012, 08:17:19 pm »
That's the point he's trying to make mate.

Yeah. Shite, I'm groggy. It's 1.16am where I am. Guess I was meant to reply to the other post on page 1 where it said Fulham are supposed to be one of the worst away teams this season.
YWNA

Offline Number 7

• Gegenpresser
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: December 20, 2012, 08:25:27 pm »
Can see a 3-4-3/3-5-2 formation in the offing here, because Fulham only have two central midfielders available but also will look at the game last week and how well Aston Villa did with two upfront. Either that, or a Downing and Enrique partnership down the left for a bit more defensive solidity. Sterling and Allen will get  deserved rest, I'm pretty sure.

Carragher or Downing/Enrique is the only question mark I think. Suso will probably come back in.

I think the Villa game is a benchmark for away teams now, as they'll see that as being the perfect way to play against Liverpool at Anfield. I know we lost a few games at Anfield last season too, but the only real stinkers we've had there this season have been against Arsenal and Villa, and not every team can play like Arsenal do. So they'll micro-analyze the Villa performance.

As for the team, a big plus for us will be having Enrique back. I still can't see Suso starting though, unless Sterling is rested which off the back of another weeks rest, I can't see happening either.
YWNA