Author Topic: Shifting CEO standards? Coco the Clown vs Easy Rider  (Read 53106 times)

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
  • Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to
Re: Shifting CEO standards? Coco the Clown vs Easy Rider
« Reply #200 on: November 1, 2012, 01:17:26 pm »
Kenny admits others should of helped and supported him when it came to the Suarez situation.

Wonder who he is talking about?

The man who was left in charge perhaps?
Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season

Offline Mutton Geoff

• 'The Invigilator'
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Life is a journey, not a destination.
« Reply #201 on: November 1, 2012, 01:24:41 pm »
He isn't doing a good job if it's point one!

And as I've said in the past, as business men (and not new to owning sports teams) his position should be one they can judge fairly well themselves unlike the footballing positions which they clearly need advice on, so they either think he is doing a decent job for the club (possibly for the short term until someone they want becomes available).

Well if they think he is doing a good job, can you quantify why they would reach that conclusion, unless they are just looking at bucks in the bank rather than the quality on the pitch or the smooth and efficient running of this club.

Clearly in the last 12 months we have had so many cock ups landing at Ayre's door that a blind man in a dark room could find, so for me if they think he is good enough then they are pretty bad at decision making and clearly out of their depth as well.

Maybe in the past they have used more luck than wit in their decision making process certainly with us they are reactive and need to be proactive,  and now both with us and Boston their lack of decent proactive decison making is becoming far more evident.
A world were Liars and Hypocrites are accepted and rewarded and honest people are derided!
Who voted in this lying corrupt bastard anyway

Offline Groundskeeper Willie

• Loves a good Meat Flute! Silent screaming fistpumper. Don't wake the kids! He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty chip! Mattis, den svenska pedanten! Pantless arse-barer not used to withdrawal.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Klappa händerna när du är riktigt glad.
« Reply #202 on: November 1, 2012, 01:25:13 pm »
Why is it ?  It is clear from Paul Rodger's posts on here that the producers of the show wanted to show what Ayre was like outside of work and wanted to focus on the ''human'' side of him which is why they asked him about his hobbies and passions outside of work and he spoke about his guitar and his bike.  Absolutely nothing wrong with it.  Its the same as people having a go at Brendan for driving a sports car and having a nice house. 

Any stick and all that.

Now I´m not saying Ayre is fit and proper to be our CEO, as a matter of fact I think we need to upgrade. But to blame him for every failure and every bad decision  in any organisation he´s ever worked for is pathetic.
Love Ren & Stimpy

Online CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #203 on: November 1, 2012, 01:29:52 pm »
Well if they think he is doing a good job, can you quantify why they would reach that conclusion, unless they are just looking at bucks in the bank rather than the quality on the pitch or the smooth and efficient running of this club.

Clearly in the last 12 months we have had so many cock ups landing at Ayre's door that a blind man in a dark room could find, so for me if they think he is good enough then they are pretty bad at decision making and clearly out of their depth as well.

Maybe in the past they have used more luck than wit in their decision making process certainly with us they are reactive and need to be proactive,  and now both with us and Boston their lack of decent proactive decison making is becoming far more evident.

I can't personally see why, but then again none of us have the details of inside knowledge as they do to make a decision. They seem happy and quick enough to get rid of under performing people so I see no reason why they wouldn't with Ayre other than if the person(s) they want to run the club aren't available and they can't find someone who would be a guaranteed better appointment.

I honestly can't say if they lucked out at Boston or not, my guess would be not as that's a hell of a lot of luck given what they started with and where they are now, but I just don't know enough about Boston's history and current status to judge either way.

Offline s4ffy1

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #204 on: November 1, 2012, 01:34:43 pm »
Around February/March time Henrry got in touch with Tomkins looking at ways of measuring if Commolli was doing a good job or not.

A few months later he was sacked.

The question is on what basis are FSG judging Ayres, because the commercial side of things is run by Hogan so any success on that side will be attributed to him.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #205 on: November 1, 2012, 01:35:57 pm »
Around February/March time Henrry got in touch with Tomkins looking at ways of measuring if Commolli was doing a good job or not.

A few months later he was sacked.

The question is on what basis are FSG judging Ayres, because the commercial side of things is run by Hogan so any success on that side will be attributed to him.

I think businessmen are pretty well qualified to judge businessmen (Ayre). Where as judging Comolli was a football matter so I'm glad they got advice.

Offline pathetic

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: November 1, 2012, 02:23:40 pm »
To all those complaining about ayre’s appointment as MD, I seem to recall the majority of this forum praising FSG for appointing the Liverpool way, from within, etc…funny how people’s opinion change…..(and no, I am not defending Ayre, just saying that the bashing of FSG is somewhat unjustified)

Online Fromola

• For the love of god please shut the fuck up. Lomola... “The sky is falling and I’m off to tell the King!...” Places stock in the wrong opinions. Miserable F*cker! Could have done with Grujic and even Chirivella to tide us over this season
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #207 on: November 1, 2012, 02:50:11 pm »
The need for a good CEO is also magnified by the fact we have absentee owners and a chairman on the other side of the atlantic.

Many clubs have a chairman in the boardroom involved in the day-to-day running of things.

So much of the shortfalls the club have is taken up by Ayre and the man doesn't have the clout or competency to fill in all these gaps FSG create and don't fill. He's a yes man for them, which maybe explains why he hasn't been upgraded.

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #208 on: November 1, 2012, 02:52:45 pm »
Source?

The massive global search for a MD that left Ayre as the best candidate for me speaks absolute volumes.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #209 on: November 1, 2012, 02:55:10 pm »
The need for a good CEO is also magnified by the fact we have absentee owners and a chairman on the other side of the atlantic.

Many clubs have a chairman in the boardroom involved in the day-to-day running of things.

So much of the shortfalls the club have is taken up by Ayre and the man doesn't have the clout or competency to fill in all these gaps FSG create and don't fill. He's a yes man for them, which maybe explains why he hasn't been upgraded.

I think only Spurs have a very hands on Chariman don't they in Levy? I'm not sure if the likes of City (Khaldoon Al Mubarak), Chelsea (Bruce Buck), United (two Glazer son's) and Arsenal (Peter Hill-Wood) have anyone who is involved anymore than the likes of Werner is.

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #210 on: November 1, 2012, 02:55:37 pm »
The massive global search for a MD that left Ayre as the best candidate for me speaks absolute volumes.

So opinion then, and not only that but opinion based on very little.

Offline s4ffy1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #211 on: November 1, 2012, 03:03:21 pm »
It was well known when Purslow was made to resign we hired Spencer Stuart to find us a CEO, with the final two candidates bieng Ayres and CEO from Celtic. There was rumours we interviewed somebody from Spain but rejected the individual.
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6498909,00.html

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #212 on: November 1, 2012, 03:07:00 pm »
It was well known when Purslow was made to resign we hired Spencer Stuart to find us a CEO, with the final two candidates bieng Ayres and CEO from Celtic. There was rumours we interviewed somebody from Spain but rejected the individual.

I was asking his source for his comment, put as if it was fact and not opinion, of 'the current setup where he would have to check everything with Henry and Werner.'

Online Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #213 on: November 1, 2012, 03:07:18 pm »

Sorry mate I thought I was posting on a fans forum were opinions were allowed.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline rossipersempre

• On the lookuyt for a new winger since 2007 BC. Prodigal, Son.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #214 on: November 1, 2012, 03:07:19 pm »
Not rumours and that outcome isn't true. See my OP.
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Online CraigDS

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #215 on: November 1, 2012, 03:10:14 pm »
Sorry mate I thought I was posting on a fans forum were opinions were allowed.

You didn't post it as opinion though did you? You posted it as if you knew it was fact.

Offline s4ffy1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #216 on: November 1, 2012, 03:10:15 pm »
Not rumours and that outcome isn't true. See my OP.
Who was it who turned us down?

Offline djschembri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: November 1, 2012, 03:11:05 pm »

I think he rejected us. Can't remember the name but remember Mike Jefferies on Twitter saying that we had been rejected and that Ayre was going to be promoted.

Offline s4ffy1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #218 on: November 1, 2012, 03:12:08 pm »
I think he rejected us. Can't remember the name but remember Mike Jefferies on Twitter saying that we had been rejected and that Ayre was going to be promoted.
Was it somebody from Real Madrid or links to Madrid?

Offline djschembri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: November 1, 2012, 03:13:58 pm »

Interesting discussion here involving Jefferies talking about the same subject. Mentions a certain Jose Angel Sanchez Periañez but doesnt say whether we approached him or not.

http://www.theliverpoolword.com/2012/09/roundtable-special-discussing-fenway-sports-group-fsg-panel-of-guests-part-1/

Offline s4ffy1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #220 on: November 1, 2012, 03:17:46 pm »
Interesting discussion here involving Jefferies talking about the same subject. Mentions a certain Jose Angel Sanchez Periañez but doesnt say whether we approached him or not.

http://www.theliverpoolword.com/2012/09/roundtable-special-discussing-fenway-sports-group-fsg-panel-of-guests-part-1/
Mike Jefferies is of the firm oppinnion that FSG are looking to sell and if a decent offer came in they would sell.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #221 on: November 1, 2012, 03:19:30 pm »
Mike Jefferies is of the firm oppinnion that FSG are looking to sell and if a decent offer came in they would sell.

I can't see anyone wanting to buy us even if that was true.

Online Fromola

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #222 on: November 1, 2012, 03:22:12 pm »

Fingers crossed. They can't even get a CEO appointed in two years which is symptomatic of the inertia surrounding the club.

Offline djschembri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #223 on: November 1, 2012, 03:22:38 pm »

Maybe, but that's not the point of this thread.

If Billy Hogan does not reside in Liverpool, then FSG have no one from their own organisation at the club on a daily basis. Ayre & Nash were brought in by H+G. You can't run a football club efficiently from the other side of the Atlantic.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: November 1, 2012, 03:25:52 pm »
It's interesting isn't it, that articles cite the candidate brief as "business leaders (with an interest and experience of football)".

In what universe is Ian "I left school at 16 to join the Navy, arsed my way around Asia for years in merchandising, then continued arsing about back in the UK in TV and Championship football, leaving a long trail of financial mismanagement and general disaster in my wake", anything even remotely approaching a business leader?

But he has a Scouse accent, wears Teflon-coated Y-fronts, and is the quintessential 'yes man'. He's so lacking in any sort of credentials, gravitas or indeed competence it's not even funny. And yet this man represents the club as the man in operational charge.

Never mind my original use of Parry to hold Ayre up to scrutiny, I'm beginning to wonder (and I feel sick at the very thought) if FSG got rid of the wrong member of the "home team" and left that snake-faced c*nt in charge. Many things he was, but Cecil was not incompetent and without purpose. But of course, again that points to Ayre being what is euphemistically referred to as "malleable".
My scouse, the often busted but seldom battered Mr Flabby Whore Alien. Who will not send in cottoned wool, bubbled rap, shiny sliver spaced blanket and sum beefy Bovril to keep it warm and safe and snag as bag in a rag? Oh Whore yours is a sweeter leftish peg

Offline Rox

• Gets His Off Regularly. Man's best friend's best friend.
  • Legacy Fan
  • \0/ \0/ \0/
    • Inspire Your Dog
« Reply #225 on: November 1, 2012, 03:27:15 pm »

Isn't it the case that most businesses are potentially for sale if a decent offer comes along?  Hardly a ITK insight, is it?
Having problems with a dog, or just want to understand them better?  Get advice at my site... http://inspireyourdog.com/ and follow us on Twitter @inspireyourdog for tips and hints.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #226 on: November 1, 2012, 03:27:52 pm »
I've never much liked Ayre and have never seen anything to change my mind on him. I do think and this is no disrespect to Rodgers that Ayre was probably one of the reasons Rafa was never considered for the job this summer.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #227 on: November 1, 2012, 03:30:37 pm »
Who was it who turned us down?

*cough*

Juan Villalonga was the name bandied about. Ex-Telefonica CEO and 'un grande queso' in Madrid business circles. Has long harboured ambitions at ousting Perez as Real's President.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: November 1, 2012, 03:33:36 pm »
I've never much liked Ayre and have never seen anything to change my mind on him. I do think and this is no disrespect to Rodgers that Ayre was probably one of the reasons Rafa was never considered for the job this summer.
Probably? Ayre was given responsibility for drawing up a shortlist for Henry/Werner to interview, and what do you know, given he openly "despises" him, the name Benitez never made the list. Even his nemesis Purslow commented that he was "a very strong candidate". Rafa was black-balled by Ayre, no question whatsoever in my mind.

Offline djschembri

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: November 1, 2012, 03:35:19 pm »
*cough*

The only thing I could find on this guy is that he was supposedly interested in buying the club in 06.

Offline The G in Gerrard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: November 1, 2012, 03:37:00 pm »
Probably? Ayre was given responsibility for drawing up a shortlist for Henry/Werner to interview, and what do you know, given he openly "despises" him, the name Benitez never made the list. Even his nemesis Purslow commented that he was "a very strong candidate". Rafa was black-balled by Ayre, no question whatsoever in my mind.

Which is perhaps my biggest criticism of him regardless of the financial deals he's securing. He had no reason to discount Rafa based on his CV, his nice guy act doesn't wash with me. Would rather we didn't hear from full stop.

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #231 on: November 1, 2012, 03:41:00 pm »
I'm not exactly FSG's biggest fan, but in the spirit of fairness it seems they had just such an opportunity not so long ago and turned it down. And the stadium news, even if nothing more than talk at the moment, points to a longer-term plan. Although that's not to say it's one that specifically requires FSG to oversee. And I also believe that they've got the eyes on the media rights cash cow, and will sell in a heartbeat when that becomes a tangible proposal.

But hey, let's not drag this off at a tangent - this is about Ayre not FSG per se, inasmuch as they stand accused of employing him in a role which is demonstrably so far beyond the level of his ability and character.

Offline west_london_red

• Knows his stuff - pull the udder one! RAWK's Dairy Queen.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • watching me? but whose watching you watching me?
« Reply #232 on: November 1, 2012, 03:44:31 pm »
It's interesting isn't it, that articles cite the candidate brief as "business leaders (with an interest and experience of football)".

In what universe is Ian "I left school at 16 to join the Navy, arsed my way around Asia for years in merchandising, then continued arsing about back in the UK in TV and Championship football, leaving a long trail of financial mismanagement and general disaster in my wake", anything even remotely approaching a business leader?

But he has a Scouse accent, wears Teflon-coated Y-fronts, and is the quintessential 'yes man'. He's so lacking in any sort of credentials, gravitas or indeed competence it's not even funny. And yet this man represents the club as the man in operational charge.

Never mind my original use of Parry to hold Ayre up to scrutiny, I'm beginning to wonder (and I feel sick at the very thought) if FSG got rid of the wrong member of the "home team" and left that snake-faced c*nt in charge. Many things he was, but Cecil was not incompetent and without purpose. But of course, again that points to Ayre being what is euphemistically referred to as "malleable".

Some of the most successful people in business left school at 16, and a lot of successful people that I have personally work with are ex-services - its not something you should use discredit people with.

Then you have the Harvard educated Cecil who was hated and derided not least because he went to Harvard and his name was Cecil (just like we dont like people who own motor bikes). And lets not forget who sacked Rafa, signed Joe Cole and gave Caragher a £90k a week contract in his last day in charge and after a year of looking for a buyer could only come up with NESV and a guy from Singapore who supports Manchester United.

We really have had some truely shit people in charge
Thinking is overrated.
The mind is a tool, it's not meant to be used that much.
Rest, love, observe. Laugh.

Online Eeyore

• Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
« Reply #233 on: November 1, 2012, 03:46:28 pm »
You didn't post it as opinion though did you? You posted it as if you knew it was fact.

Here is the post in question.

Exactly, the money we have completely wasted since FSG arrived on paying off managers, Dof's, Coaches and players would pay for a team of CEO's. The elephant in the room for me is would a top CEO work for FSG in the current setup where he would have to check everything with Henry and Werner.For me it suits FSG to have someone like Ayre who isn't going to cause waves and who will accept the status quo.

Maybe we should take Ayre's ride on Harley back to ToysRus and get Henry and Werner a little remote control Robot to act as MD.

On what planet is that trying to post opinion as fact. I couldn't of gone further out of my way to make it absolutely crystal clear what I was posting was my opinion.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline rossipersempre

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #234 on: November 1, 2012, 03:47:34 pm »
regardless of the financial deals he's securing.
Care to outline those for us, just as a discussion point? I seem to recall Turkish tourist board, and some Asian airline nobody's heard of. Did he bring in Maxxi's Tyres? Or Jack Wolfskin? No doubt there's a longer list of barnacle-like companies with associated press releases together with Ayre's mug grinning for the camera. Maybe that's what he's doing on his Harley down the Dock Road, lifting the club's skirts for £50 to any old punter.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #235 on: November 1, 2012, 03:48:19 pm »

Thats a total assumption. Its just as plausible that FSG didnt want a manager who went to war with the previous owners and was far from compliementry about the people who ran Valencia too. As much as I love Rafa - he did have a mouth on him and he was a probably a lose canon, not something that owners will generally welcome.
Thinking is overrated.

Offline s4ffy1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #236 on: November 1, 2012, 03:48:47 pm »
What is the criteria we should be judging a good/competent CEO at a G14 football club?

1) Is responsible for the day to day running of the club
2) The manager should report directly to the CEO (in Rodgers case he reports to the owners)
3) Strong business mind - oversee the financial side of the club in conjunction with the finance director
4) Football business knowledge - able to approve/veto decisions by manager/DOF on transfers (based on value for money)
5) Excellent negotiator
6) good presence both nationally as well internationally amongst peers.
7) Good media skills

Anymore?

Offline s4ffy1

• Anny Roader
« Reply #237 on: November 1, 2012, 03:51:26 pm »
Care to outline those for us, just as a discussion point? I seem to recall Turkish tourist board, and some Asian airline nobody's heard of. Did he bring in Maxxi's Tyres? Or Jack Wolfskin? No doubt there's a longer list of barnacle-like companies with associated press releases together with Ayre's mug grinning for the camera. Maybe that's what he's doing on his Harley down the Dock Road, lifting the club's skirts for £50 to any old punter.

Both our biggest deals with SC and Warrior were nothing to do with Ayres. And now Hogan is in charge of that side of things so securing deals is down to him not IA.

Offline west_london_red

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #238 on: November 1, 2012, 03:52:33 pm »
What is the criteria we should be judging a good/competent CEO at a G14 football club?

1) Is responsible for the day to day running of the club
2) The manager should report directly to the CEO (in Rodgers case he reports to the owners)
3) Strong business mind - oversee the financial side of the club in conjunction with the finance director
4) Football business knowledge - able to approve/veto decisions by manager/DOF on transfers (based on value for money)
5) Excellent negotiator
6) good presence both nationally as well internationally amongst peers.
7) Good media skills

Anymore?

Not own a Harley Davidson would be number one for a lot of people it seems
Thinking is overrated.

Offline East of Anfield

• Kopite
  • Singaporean Red
« Reply #239 on: November 1, 2012, 03:52:39 pm »
Sorry,can someone explain to me why he is called teflon ayre? Keep on seeing this but not sure what it means