Author Topic: Young talent can plug gaps  (Read 12191 times)

Offline guest

• Legacy Fan
Young talent can plug gaps
« on: September 16, 2012, 01:20:27 pm »
Liverpool fans have a lot to thank Rafael Benítez for. Whether it was restoring the club’s place at Europe’s top table, uncovering the full extent of Tom Hicks and George Gillett’s mismanagement or finishing home games with Albert Riera and Nabil El Zhar at full-back, he gave the Anfield crowd a lot to be grateful for.

He wasn’t perfect, of course. He was erratic, cautious, overzealous. His obsession with finances leaves a legacy of the Anfield twitterati scrawling “net spend” in lipstick on the walls of their parents’ basement. He signed Robbie Keane.

But his most telling contribution is only just starting to emerge. It can be found galloping down the left hand side or driving through the centre of midfield; it will be seen at left back or up front, in the Capital One Cup and Europa League. Raheem Sterling (pictured), Jonjo Shelvey, Jack Robinson, Adam Morgan. The kids are alright. In fact, some of them are very good.

It was the Spaniard who insisted the club reassessed how they used their youth set-up. An embarrassing 6-3 League Cup defeat to Arsenal in January 2007 was the catalyst for Benítez to overhaul the system. Gone was the splintered, disjointed relationship between the different age groups; instead, a common style of play was implemented throughout, with only certain types of players scouted. The summer of 2009 saw the trio of Frank McParland (director), Rodolfo Borrell (Under-21 head coach) and Pep Segura (technical director, now departed) hired to aid that development.

There has been a lot of negativity surrounding Liverpool since the transfer window closed 10 days ago. Most supporters are in a malaise over the decision to loan Andy Carroll out and the subsequent inability to find an adequate replacement. Hysteria has taken control, with Carroll transformed from a one-in-five striker into a world-class talent and Clint Dempsey, a talented goalscoring attacker, metamorphosing into a future Ballon d’Or winner.

Misplaced hysteria or not, the disappointment of the final 24 hours of the transfer window told against Arsenal. That is not to correlate Steven Gerrard’s inability to keep possession with the club’s inability to haggle, but the performance was flat both on and off the pitch. The fans only perked up when 17-year-old Sterling was on the ball. Drifting out wide on the left, every touch was met with a murmur of anticipation from the Kop. A successful cross was followed by a cheer of approvall; every awry trick or flick met with appreciative applause.

Sterling is as quick as he is clever, as technically-gifted as he is hard-working. It’s a rare commodity to see a young English player (albeit one who moved from Jamaica when he was five) who possesses technique and intelligence to supplement raw ability. The 17-year-old, plucked from QPR’s youth system in 2010, is a by-product of the advice Benitez passed on to Borrell: the English players must be developed. Much like how Barcelona’s success at that level is founded upon the Catalan contingent, so too must Liverpool’s be based on home-grown players.

A look at their squad confirms that mentality. Though Jordan Henderson was plucked from Sunderland for a hefty fee, he is still only 22 – a fact easily forgotten given he made more appearances than any other Liverpool player last season, as well as being a full England international who moonlights as Under-21 captain. His midfield partner Jonjo Shelvey, 20, has made 42 appearances for Liverpool already, but while he has the athleticism and ability to succeed, he must improve his intelligence and try not to cripple the opposition with his reckless tackles. Only injuries have stopped the 22-year-old Martin Kelly from playing more than 52 games for his club.

Others who have not featured as regularly also give cause for optimism. Jack Robinson is a cultured left back; Jon Flanagan, in contrast, is a no-nonsense right back. Adam Morgan scored 18 goals in 16 games at youth level, while 15-year-old Jerome Sinclair impressed in a friendly against a European heavyweight so much the opposition tried to buy him at the full-time whistle. There are non-English players too: Samed Yesil is an exciting acquisition from Leverkusen, and Spanish magician Suso is the standout. With the world at his feet, only his attitude can trip him up.

But for all the ornate adjectives and flamboyant descriptions, there is no guarantee of success. Liverpool thought they had a youth set-up ready to conquer the world after winning back-to-back FA Youth Cups in 2006 and 2007, but those teams now look similar to Garth Crooks’ League Two Team of the Week. The changes over the past five years, however, bring hope. No longer do the youngsters look to win trophies as youth level; it is development and progression that is the true prize.

A lot of that is down to an ex-manager, but the current one is on the same wavelength it seems. “The vision is simple – to win the most trophies we can,” said Brendan Rodgers. “That’s the bigger picture. The second is to play attractive, attacking football, and the third is to bring through as many of the young players as we possibly can.” There’s no guarantee or trophies or attractive, attacking football, but he does have some good young players to bring through. Maybe Clint Dempsey won’t be needed after all.

Link: http://www.lifesapitch.co.uk/opinions/young-talent-can-plug-the-gaps-at-liverpool/

Offline fredfrop

• 19*
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Young talent can plug gaps
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 01:27:33 pm »
good read, would have highlighted Ngoo before Ibe, but the story used is a good one.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 01:30:12 pm »
In the case of developing young players, we have a brilliant manager in Rodgers(and ofcourse we owe a lot to Rafa in this aspect) but I hope we dont go the same way as Arsenal. We have a brilliant selection of youth players but we need to team them up with quality experienced players. Gerrard will be gone soon and we need some senior players to take command, give the youth some advice and aid them through their development. More leaders like Gerrard are needed for the future. If we get that and couple it with our brilliant youth squad and continue to keep recycling in that fashion then we will be set for the future
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 02:20:13 pm »
Others who have not featured as regularly also give cause for optimism. Jack Robinson is a cultured left back; Jon Flanagan, in contrast, is a no-nonsense right back. Adam Morgan scored 18 goals in 16 games at youth level, while 15-year-old Jerome Sinclair impressed in a friendly against a European heavyweight so much the opposition tried to buy him at the full-time whistle. There are non-English players too: Samed Yesil is an exciting acquisition from Leverkusen, and Spanish magician Suso is the standout. With the world at his feet, only his attitude can trip him up.

Excellent read that L6. Can I just ask about this highlighted part, what is the story there. I missed that first time round.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline Junkle

• Stupid
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 05:28:57 pm »
Lovely read. I am certainly impressed with our youth production line. Their future and that of LFC look bright.
The weakest link in the team is our main man BR.

Offline jimmyjr86

• Legacy Fan
  • Up on a hill, here's where we begin...
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 05:37:02 pm »
Excellent read that L6. Can I just ask about this highlighted part, what is the story there. I missed that first time round.

Offline arcticus

• No massive asset. Doesn't know the difference between the 1st and 31st. Watched the Arsenal game sat in a pool of shite.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 06:10:58 pm »
Liverpool fans have a lot to thank Rafael Benítez for.
That is so true.

Offline RedHandGang

• Kopite
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 07:03:49 pm »
L6 was having this debate only just the other day. Rafa certainly has left a legacy and my wife's uncle is still a p***k for being easily influenced by the media.
"One defends when his strength is inadaquate, he attacks when it is abundant."

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 07:17:29 pm »
It's good we're finally giving our prominent youngsters a proper chance but I'm not so sure they'll be able to fill a gap once one of our two senior strikers gets injured, nor do I think it's a good idea to lay such expectations on them.

Offline TheCharlatan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2012, 07:32:29 pm »
It's good we're finally giving our prominent youngsters a proper chance but I'm not so sure they'll be able to fill a gap once one of our two senior strikers gets injured, nor do I think it's a good idea to lay such expectations on them.

Who are our two senior strikers?

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2012, 07:35:28 pm »
Kind of Borini (though only 21 but more experienced then Pacheco) and Suarez.

Offline TheCharlatan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2012, 07:39:23 pm »
Kind of Borini (though only 21 but more experienced then Pacheco) and Suarez.

I still wouldn't consider a 21 year old who made 40 league appearances in his entire career and was playing for Chelsea reserves 1.5 years ago a senior striker.

All it takes is Suarez to get injured and no amount of youngsters can save us. At this stage we are not just plugging gaps. We are, or at least will be required to eventually, heavily rely on our youngsters and that does not bode well for our league position or their development as footballers.

Offline Zlen

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2012, 07:42:42 pm »
I agree and for all the wishfull thinking we're so far struggling to score even with our full strikeforce, God help us should we lose some of them. Not a good idea to leave the club in this state and also not a good idea to put real pressure on youngsters to perform and we're doing both.
Hysteria? More like realism.

Offline RK7

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2012, 07:53:19 pm »
The youth can plug gaps but it is unfair to expect them to carry the team, right now Sterling is our most dangerous player and the expectation is growing by the game.
Some of the senior players need to step up, the fact Sterling outshines Downing is just wrong. They must give more and allow the youth time to develop  rather than being expected to allow senior players time to discover their own form.

We all want to see the young lads play, it is the same with every club but not if it is at the expense of their long term development.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2012, 08:14:55 pm »
It's great that we have a large group of young players coming through. It happens at a good point too. We need a number of good players for the squad. And we have seen positive things from many, if not all young players who have been given the chance. Not all are going to be world beaters, but if they become squad players, that's great too.

The youth can plug gaps but it is unfair to expect them to carry the team, right now Sterling is our most dangerous player and the expectation is growing by the game.
Some of the senior players need to step up, the fact Sterling outshines Downing is just wrong. They must give more and allow the youth time to develop  rather than being expected to allow senior players time to discover their own form.

We all want to see the young lads play, it is the same with every club but not if it is at the expense of their long term development.

Agree. It's too much to ask that the young players carry the team. Unfortunately, we will may do that with shortly. Your point about Sterling vs Downing is telling and it fills me with very mixed feelings. It's great that Sterling is showing so much promise. But he's just started a handful of PL games and he's keeping a 20M player on the bench. It's backwards. For everyone's sake, we need Downing to show he's better than Sterling and we need it to happen very soon.

We've only got 2 points from 4 games. This could fast turn into a crisis. For us to then rely on very young players is not good news. It's a very risky situation to throw in the kids.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline TheCharlatan

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2012, 08:16:56 pm »

I really hope Downing is angry that his place in the first team has been taken by a 17 year old. Hopefully that gives him a kick in the arse over the next few weeks and motivates him.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2012, 08:41:30 pm »

He wasn’t perfect, of course. He was erratic, cautious, overzealous. His obsession with finances leaves a legacy of the Anfield twitterati scrawling “net spend” in lipstick on the walls of their parents’ basement. He signed Robbie Keane.

Good post, but this bit is a low blow. I don't remember Rafa himself ever mentioning net spend, perhaps you are suggesting that G&H were actually funding him as well as they promised, in which case, I'd like to see some evidence.

And it was very obvious to everyone that Robbie Keane was never really a player Rafa wanted to spend that much on. But hey, why not buy into the media's version of events, we all know they only print stuff that's definitely true, right?  ::)
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 09:06:50 pm »
The transition to senior level is key and seems a very delicate and precarious endeavour. You are not just dealing with talented footballers, there are lots of them, you are attempting to get a young man to understand the reality of being a pro at the top level. There are enough failures to suggest that young promise is only paper thin without a variety of factors working in a young player’s favour – attitude, physical development, positive influences, first team chances, etc.

A case study for me would be Robbie Threlfall. A cultured, left-footed defender coming through the ranks at one of Europe’s top clubs. There were very few avenues towards the first team and he ended up being loaned out to lower league teams – one of which was my (now) local teams Bradford City, who eventually signed him. I watch City a few times a season and saw Threlfall toil at a level that was, at face value, beneath him. His team was poor, he took most corners and free kicks and it didn’t happen for him. The crowd turned against him and his shoulders sunk further with every passing performance. He was sold by Bradford in the summer to lowly Morcambe. Stephen Darby has recently left Liverpool to join Bradford; I hope it works out better for him.

My point is that fans love to proclaim the next best thing based on very little real and tangible evidence. Obviously Threlfall and Darby never excited Liverpool fans but they represent a cautionary message. The clamour to pick the likes of Pacheco and Suso always irritates me. It’s as if their inclusion in the first team is an entitlement of the fans just because a few people saw them play well on LFC.tv in the reserves. These young players are not a panacea to success and never have been. You just never know how it is going to go so we should not expect their inclusion when a manager ignores them for selection.

I really hope Rodgers uses youth wisely and doesn’t over use them simply because the squad is thinner than what we would all like. That said, Sterling looks a great prospect. Hopefully Rodgers will identify others worthy of selection.

Offline Red Bird

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 09:28:17 pm »
That may be so, Fitzy. I still think we're far too cautious with our own products than other clubs, hence all this loaning them to other lower league clubs business and the potential quality control loss. By contrast, look for example, at Villa's team which held us to a draw last season. Or, going back a few years to the event described by the OP, that drubbing our strong team took at the hands of Arsenal's sprogs.

Offline scouse29

• Legacy Fan
  • Koppite
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 09:40:56 pm »
Any young talent that comes through and adds a feature or positive to the first team squad should be deemed as the icing on the cake. I love the fact that Sterling is getting starts but I wonder how long he can be seen as our main attacking threat. I am not taking nothing away from the kid and I hope he has a long and fruitful Liverpool career but it's a massive ask. Careful management is required and a Welcome break in the coming weeks might just be what he needs. The fact he has stared ahead of Downing against top opposition in City and Arsenal speaks volumes for the lad.

Let's hope we unveil another gem or two in the moving months.
The Liverpool way!!!

royhendo

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 09:46:51 pm »
Thanks again Kris. :)

Offline Alf

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leader of Alf Quaida & the Scaliban
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 09:52:44 pm »
I remember 1999 when Paul Ince & Steve McManaman departed and Steven Gerrard & David Thompson came in. Thompson went to Coventry for £2.5 million & Gerrard is still in the team now. No doubt about it developing young talent will plug gaps.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 11:34:53 pm »
That may be so, Fitzy. I still think we're far too cautious with our own products than other clubs, hence all this loaning them to other lower league clubs business and the potential quality control loss. By contrast, look for example, at Villa's team which held us to a draw last season. Or, going back a few years to the event described by the OP, that drubbing our strong team took at the hands of Arsenal's sprogs.

Yes, we have been too cautious. We have also made it difficult for ourselves. We keep too many average players. Because we have had this idea that we need so many players. This last summer we had people saying we need 8-9 CMs to be on the safe side. And then Rodgers himself says he needs plenty, so 5-6 CMs is necessary. Our reluctance to give players a role has kept them on hold for too long.

The real problem now is that we have these senior players who are no better than the kids. Because we have made too many mistakes in the transfer market. Makes us very vulnerable and we have done it to ourselves. So who is going to do it for us?

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 11:46:21 pm »
Young players can seal cracks. Not plug gaps.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 11:52:44 pm »
Next season we'll hopefully look back and say the lack of players we have at the moment was a good thing for the future, with the kids getting a chance. But right now it's hurting us.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline reds88

• Kopite
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 01:00:27 am »
The transition to senior level is key and seems a very delicate and precarious endeavour. You are not just dealing with talented footballers, there are lots of them, you are attempting to get a young man to understand the reality of being a pro at the top level. There are enough failures to suggest that young promise is only paper thin without a variety of factors working in a young player’s favour – attitude, physical development, positive influences, first team chances, etc.

Acquiring a professional football mentality is tough work.  Lots are professionals in they are paid to play but don't have the mentality.  Was watching a documentary on NHK about the J-League.  They brought in guys like Zico and Dunga who instilled a professional mentality in their team mates. 

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2012, 02:39:39 am »
Let's hope we see more of the Sterlings graduate to the senior team. It's brave of BR to drop Sterling in the deep end and he's now flourishing.

Downing will never be a Sterling and Sterling can be as good as Barnesy. It's just plain ridiculous we paid so much for Downing
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 12:55:34 pm by The 5th Benitle »

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 03:39:07 am »
Rodgers has managed Chelsea's youth team, so he should know better than most what the kids are able to handle. I'm just worried that instead of bedding the kids in slowly, we'll become reliant on them straightaway, like we seem to be doing with Sterling. Nothing would be worse than doing what we did with Fowler and Owen and even Gerrard, and causing them serious injury problems later on.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline artanis

• Legacy Fan
  • It is what it is.
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 03:44:42 am »
Young players can seal cracks. Not plug gaps.

You just made Sterling cry. Hope you are proud of yourself!!!

Offline kcbworth

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2012, 03:49:14 am »
I'm really surprised to see Sterling start 3 straight games (+ Europa). I do feel that it's a risk, but i'm extremely interested to see how it goes. So far is coping, although I don't want the hype to get to him, because there's still significant room for improvement.

Still feel bad for Pacheco and have no idea whatsoever he's done wrong to not get a chance (maybe europa this week), and hope that Suso doesn't lose heart, but I guess one thing that it shows is that if you demonstrate you can cope with the top league, Rodgers will give you a chance.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: September 17, 2012, 06:23:44 am »
youth ar absolutely imperative to future success....the more players we can bring through to the first team who can improve on what we have, then the less we have to spend on bringing in players, in addition they will have a better understanding of the clubs playing style.......and the players who may not be able to improve our squad (the majority) can be sold to finance the youth system and encourage young players to come to lfc, get the best training and develop their career

however, we have to be careful....exposure sometimes leads to burn out, too much pressure, too much physical pressure etc....so we need to ensure those players coming through continue to develop whilst not being overused

we need to breed winners too, those who are not just pleased to get a game, but want to win above all else.....the desire to win....and for that we need to think about winning now as well as tomorrow.....how, well, that is another matter (i am speaking figuratively, not literally in that i do not expect a 34 game winning streak to keep us happy)
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2012, 06:29:56 am »
Great to see such a steady stream of talent starting to emerge from the restructure of the youth academy under Rafa,

Flanagan
Robinson
Sterling
Suso
Kelly
Spearing
Ibe
Ngoo
Morgan
Sinclair
Gulacsi

Have all played, or will play for the first team in the near future, and that's just since 2009 or so,
our last three players to come through the ranks and get in to the first team (as mentioned) were Gerrard, Wright and Thompson, and that was around the turn of the Millenium.

Encouraging.

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2012, 06:48:57 am »
Well put mate. One of the very few optimisms I have over this season
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Pelé as a Comedian

• The seeker of the True Cockroach. Forgetful.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2012, 06:55:06 am »
problem is those Dempsey- and Carrollshaped gaps need filling pronto..and even if they can it's unfair to ask it of Sterling et al to do so at this point in time, but let's hope we can make do till January..

and by god FSG need to have straightened their shit out by then, success on the pitch must be the priority, balancing books and getting your model to look tip top distant second
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 06:57:49 am by Pelé as a Comedian »

Offline Max_powers

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #34 on: September 17, 2012, 06:57:49 am »
If we want our young players to come through then the key is patience. We can't expect them to perform instantly and win games. It may take another 4-5 years for many of these players to become a finished product. The fans and the coaching staff need to stick with them through tough times.

Offline BabuYagu

• It's Portuguese for 'BabyYoghurt'. The John Motson of RAWK. Or Barry Davies. Or Charley Boorman, even. Expertly silent fist-pumper. Needs to pay more attention. Repeatly analing goalkeepers.
  • Legacy Fan
  • wakelet.com/@BabuYagu
    • Wakelet of the Articles I have written
« Reply #35 on: September 17, 2012, 07:42:05 am »
Great to see such a steady stream of talent starting to emerge from the restructure of the youth academy under Rafa,

Flanagan
Robinson
Sterling
Suso
Kelly
Spearing
Ibe
Ngoo
Morgan
Sinclair
Gulacsi

Have all played, or will play for the first team in the near future, and that's just since 2009 or so,
our last three players to come through the ranks and get in to the first team (as mentioned) were Gerrard, Wright and Thompson, and that was around the turn of the Millenium.

Encouraging.

I think Ibe and Sinclair where both signed post-Rafa but his reforming of our academy certainly made luring the top young talent here possible. Before that we seemed focused on just recruiting a stones throw from Anfield and no more.
My first article on Anfield Index on Shaqiri. Enjoy. bit.ly/2mAq3Qd

Offline ChaChaMooMoo

• From doubters to believers - Klopp 2015
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice shall prevail.
« Reply #36 on: September 17, 2012, 09:06:51 am »
You just made Sterling cry. Hope you are proud of yourself!!!

Youth players should be eased into the first team slowly. Not play 30 league games in their debut season.

Offline Fellaini

• Anny Roader
  • They talk dead funny but they play dead great
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2012, 09:13:47 am »
There's no place for this optimism and positivity here.
Away with you, heathen :D

Offline Giovanni

• C'mon Chelsea!!! Stood on the Spyin Kop, the tricky bitch. Look out!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2012, 12:31:21 pm »
Good post, but this bit is a low blow. I don't remember Rafa himself ever mentioning net spend, perhaps you are suggesting that G&H were actually funding him as well as they promised, in which case, I'd like to see some evidence.

And it was very obvious to everyone that Robbie Keane was never really a player Rafa wanted to spend that much on. But hey, why not buy into the media's version of events, we all know they only print stuff that's definitely true, right?  ::)
The tounge was firmly in cheek.  Clearly.
cyas

Offline Flaccido Dongingo

• A Daily Mail plant. Don’t swing at the king!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2012, 06:16:43 am »
I think Ibe and Sinclair where both signed post-Rafa but his reforming of our academy certainly made luring the top young talent here possible. Before that we seemed focused on just recruiting a stones throw from Anfield and no more.
I wasn't referring to just Benitez signings mate, I just referred to him as he was the one that reshaped the academy into somewhere that the likes of these players would be developed.