Author Topic: From "The Liverpool Way" - Brendan Rodgers - It's All About The Style  (Read 17549 times)

Offline PanchDeBurca

• Legacy Fan
Re: From "The Liverpool Way" - Brendan Rodgers - It's All About The Style
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2012, 09:30:08 pm »
Let's get some perspective here, they played really well at Anfield (but failed to score), but they scored fewer goals than Blackburn, Bolton and Norwich (who they finished level with them and beat them home and away), they failed to score in 15 PL games and they finished below us and were removed from both cups early doors (Bolton and Shrewsbury). I thought they passed the ball really well but in the last third they were pretty average.

So let's not get too excited

Your are right lets get some perspective here

At the end of 04/05 we were lifting the European cup for a 5th time - Swansea were in the playoffs in League 2
At the end of 06/07 we were playing in our second champions league final in 3 seasons - Swansea were 7th in League 1
At the end of 08/09 we were second in the premiership - Swansea were midtable in the championship

At the end of the 11/12 season they had taken 4 points from us, were applauded off at Anfield and gave us a nice beating in our last game of the season

Rodgers was a huge factor in them progessing so rapidly in such a short period of time and with such style - it would be a shame on us to diminish his and Swansea's achievement up to and including last season

Offline CraigDS

• Lite. Smelt it and dealt it. Worrawhopper.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2012, 09:33:20 pm »
Let's get some perspective here, they played really well at Anfield (but failed to score), but they scored fewer goals than Blackburn, Bolton and Norwich (who they finished level with them and beat them home and away), they failed to score in 15 PL games and they finished below us and were removed from both cups early doors (Bolton and Shrewsbury). I thought they passed the ball really well but in the last third they were pretty average.

So let's not get too excited

What was the transfer spend by them over the previous 5yrs and wage bill?

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2012, 09:34:44 pm »
To be fair, the way I understand it is that he talked to members of various LFC-sites and they are now just publishing what was said during that meeting. It's not as if Rodgers is running around in the streets with a sign "Will pay you 5 pounds, if you interview me" around his neck. So, to use it against him, that he actually took time to talk to people like Dave Usher or Veinticinco de Mayo and them publishing articles about that meeting, is not fair...

Not using it against him at all.To be honest I'm just getting a bit bored of thread after thread being created with what seems like the millionth time I've heard him talking about his 'style and system'.no,I'm sure he's not running round looking for interviews and I'm sure half of these articles are from the same press conference,but it's just a bit tedious now.we all know what the style is,we all know what barca,arsenal,Swansea,utd's style is,but we dont hear their press conferences talking about how they play week after week.
He was brought on board in June...it's now September....we get it!
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline Mr_Shane

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2012, 09:46:53 pm »
well we all know what we want. We want to challenge for the title again. What I can see is that everyone has different ideas on how to achieve that aim. However. all but the most blinkered know...  Its not easy. We already have two mega rich teams in the premier league capable of spending large amounts of money and another team who has made it a habit of consistently challenging. Then there are also several other teams, most notably Arsenal, which if those three  were not around, would possibly also be challenging regularly for the title. So how then are we going to challenge for the title, and not just a one season challenge, but a consistent challenge over several seasons? Rodgers has told us how he is going to do it. He has made a case that he knows quite a bit about football and tactics. He is also young as far as managers go, and therefore could possibly be here for 20 years if he is successful, which is more than enough time to build a dynasty. So here is the question. "Do you agree with how he is going to do it?" If so, then he needs to be given time. If not, then what other ways are there to achieve that aim?

Offline Slick_Beef

• RAWK's Master Baker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2012, 09:47:43 pm »
Not using it against him at all.To be honest I'm just getting a bit bored of thread after thread being created with what seems like the millionth time I've heard him talking about his 'style and system'.no,I'm sure he's not running round looking for interviews and I'm sure half of these articles are from the same press conference,but it's just a bit tedious now.we all know what the style is,we all know what barca,arsenal,Swansea,utd's style is,but we dont hear their press conferences talking about how they play week after week.

He was asked direct questions about tactics from interested fans, you can see it in the video. He could either answer them, or refuse to answer them. There are evidently people on this site who would have a go either way.  :butt

Offline Bonaqua

• Kopite
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2012, 09:58:10 pm »

You should get out more. Get some fresh air. It'll give you healthier perspectives.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2012, 09:59:09 pm »
Seems we intend to build on the fundamental ideas the Academy has used. I like that. Had we not done that, then I think we would have done a terrible mistake to hire Rodgers. Don't think there is too much of a difference between 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1. Generally, that is. However, I think the main difference for us can be important. I think Suarez is best suited for a second striker role. And in a 4-3-3, there is no real place for a second striker. So right now, I'd prefer if we used the 4-2-3-1. That's how we can free up Gerrard and get him and Suarez close, which I think is key for us to score goals.

Don't think there's anything wrong with Rodgers talking about Swansea. He's still new and the way he explained things about how he wants to play - I like that. Prefer when a manager outlines his ideas. We can always learn something that way. Only problem is that the clueless people in the media will twist things and use it as ammunition.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Always_A_Red

• Legacy Fan
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2012, 10:31:49 pm »
He was asked direct questions about tactics from interested fans, you can see it in the video. He could either answer them, or refuse to answer them. There are evidently people on this site who would have a go either way.  :butt

I'm not having a go mate.not once have I said it was Rodgers fault he was asked the questions. It's the fact these questions ate still being asked and written about that's the problem.
We’ll still finish in top four - and they won’t. You can quote me on this in May.

Offline Black Bull Nova

• emo
  • Legacy Fan
  • The cheesy side of town
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2012, 11:03:23 pm »

At the end of 04/05 we were lifting the European cup for a 5th time - Swansea were in the playoffs in League 2
At the end of 06/07 we were playing in our second champions league final in 3 seasons - Swansea were 7th in League 1
At the end of 08/09 we were second in the premiership - Swansea were midtable in the championship

At the end of the 11/12 season they had taken 4 points from us, were applauded off at Anfield and gave us a nice beating in our last game of the season

Rodgers was a huge factor in them progessing so rapidly in such a short period of time and with such style - it would be a shame on us to diminish his and Swansea's achievement up to and including last season

I'm quite happy to grant Brendan time, not a problem, I'm not diminishing his achievement by stating what is true but I'm also not prepared to trash what Kenny did at the club because we had a poor spring in the PL. However poor, he had more success last year than siralex had in his first 4 years at United, see what true patience is. If you look at the list above you need to get it right though, Martinez was the manager that established many of the factors that led to success and took them from league 1 to the upper reaches of the championship. Brendan had two very impressive years as Swansea building on his predecessors work and playing some attractive football on the way. I have been consistent in my view that Brendan has been impressive in his words and has purchased well. I have also been consistent in my concern that goalscoring is important for a club with aspirations and this was a weakness for Swansea last year (and Liverpool). I remain to be convinced that this issue has been fully addressed to the degree that we require or that by adding Dempsey would have solved all our issues.
aarf, aarf, aarf.

Offline El Duderino

• Kemlynite
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2012, 11:45:39 pm »
The two quotes above are a few of the reasons why I have recently dread login into Rawk.  We are only three games into a season and people are using league position as some stick to beat our manager.

This. Why so much hostility? I like him. Seems like a good guy with a strong philosophy. It's important that you have philosophy and that you're not afraid to fail - otherwise you'll never move on.

Offline tboz

• Kopite
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2012, 12:19:05 am »
From the interview on redmen and comments in this thread and the Gerrard thread i am cautious to see wether we will over complicate things due to an obsession with walking the ball into the net.

For me 30 yard rockets that burst the net or sting the keepers hands are just as good as the passing through a team like knife through butter without end product. To have that variety makes it more difficult for the oppostion and with players like shelvey and gerrard who can hit the ball and BR philosophy of play we should do both.

I hope BR unleashes the players and allows hem to feel comfortable doing it alone sometimes rather than just waiting for lucas and allen to recycle the ball 30 times before starting an attack.

Offline GODS LEFT BOOT

• Legacy Fan
  • ...AND THE SWEET SILVER SONG OF THE LARK
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2012, 12:36:34 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jINu-ZucO8&list=PLJRb6yxlBkhM106GWO1uSQ4T90-sDjdKW&index=2&feature=plpp_video

well worth a watch - what he says about Lucas from about 9.50 is very smart.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:52:44 am by GODS LEFT BOOT »
If my assistant had not signalled a goal, I would have given a penalty and sent off goalkeeper Patr Cheh. he beeped me to signal the foul. The noise from the crowd  stopped me hearing it, I have been involved at places like Barcelona, Ibrox, Old Trafford, Arsenal, but I've never in my life been involved in such an atmosphere. IT WAS INCREDIBLE

Offline Mingle

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I believe...
« Reply #52 on: September 11, 2012, 12:56:47 am »
Office politics at its best. Clearly a man with a massive inferiority complex who is frightened of others and their ideas.

This is a man who has won nothing, has no track record to speak of but he wants to quash any other ideas or innovations. Frightening. Lets not forget those running the Academy are infinitely more experienced and successful than Rodgers.

He's the Tony Blair of the football world, all talk.

If when Kenny was sacked we'd have been told Rodgers was the man and he'd have total control including ripping up the Academy there would've been uproar.

I will have to admit I never had the confidence in the manager. When he came in I posted on here suggesting I had a right to vent my dis-satisfaction with his appointment, and that we shouldn’t all blindly high five each other just because the Mods in here tell us we should (NB… that is what it felt like)

However, Brendan Rodgers has won me round. Im only a small tiny insignificant spec in terms of the Liverpool fan base, but he has said all the right things. That made me smile and turned me around. Results havent been great, but im still excited about the next game. I wasn't last year. No disrespect to the last management team but last season I expected us to lose certain games. BR is taking us on a journey and I feel im invited too. We need stability, and it’s not going to be pretty but I honestly believe we have the man to move us forward. He was dealt a bad hand over the transfer window, but that’s gone now and that wasn’t his fault.

Everyone has the right to be sceptical, I was too. But the man’s football talk is infectious, and the results will come… just give him more of a chance than just 3 premier league games before we hang him out to dry… we’re LFC and should show more respect to him as a man first and foremost.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 01:08:23 am by mingle »
At the end of a storm, Theres a golden sky...Believe in Brendan

Offline HodgePodge

• Kemlynite
« Reply #53 on: September 11, 2012, 07:28:36 am »
I will have to admit I never had the confidence in the manager. When he came in I posted on here suggesting I had a right to vent my dis-satisfaction with his appointment, and that we shouldn’t all blindly high five each other just because the Mods in here tell us we should (NB… that is what it felt like)

However, Brendan Rodgers has won me round. Im only a small tiny insignificant spec in terms of the Liverpool fan base, but he has said all the right things. That made me smile and turned me around. Results havent been great, but im still excited about the next game. I wasn't last year. No disrespect to the last management team but last season I expected us to lose certain games. BR is taking us on a journey and I feel im invited too. We need stability, and it’s not going to be pretty but I honestly believe we have the man to move us forward. He was dealt a bad hand over the transfer window, but that’s gone now and that wasn’t his fault.

Everyone has the right to be sceptical, I was too. But the man’s football talk is infectious, and the results will come… just give him more of a chance than just 3 premier league games before we hang him out to dry… we’re LFC and should show more respect to him as a man first and foremost.

Top post. Agree. We as fans have, to be honest, shown no respect to our last 3 managers, it's time for our mentality to change.

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #54 on: September 11, 2012, 08:51:29 am »
Office politics at its best. Clearly a man with a massive inferiority complex who is frightened of others and their ideas.

This is a man who has won nothing, has no track record to speak of but he wants to quash any other ideas or innovations. Frightening. Lets not forget those running the Academy are infinitely more experienced and successful than Rodgers.

He's the Tony Blair of the football world, all talk.

If when Kenny was sacked we'd have been told Rodgers was the man and he'd have total control including ripping up the Academy there would've been uproar.

I'm absolutely not drawing any comparisons, but merely illustrating the complete idiocy of your argument. It's based on your own prejudice and negativity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Shankly#Huddersfield_Town

Offline woof

• Barking up the wrong tree.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: September 11, 2012, 09:22:27 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jINu-ZucO8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Just posted this in Brendan Rodgers - next interview thread
His passion for the tactics is unreal
Top top interview. Speaks with conviction.

Can't believe some of the supporters aren't giving him a chance after just 3 games. Rome wasn't built in a day. SAF had some lean spells before creating the most dominant football club in the country for the past 2 decades.

Offline pjshaun

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: September 11, 2012, 09:45:28 am »
"Alternate tactical possibilities with our current squad" -
http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=297262.0

Offline Severely

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We go again
« Reply #57 on: September 11, 2012, 10:15:41 am »
Some of these comments are disgraceful. I'm disgusted. This man, our current manager, is getting stick for talking about football. You can't make this stuff up. Walk the walk? I literally have no idea what this means. If the team doesn't beat Sunderland right now, should he be fired? Things like this make me hate this game sometimes.
HERE LIES JOSE MOURINHO

THE BALL WAS OVER THE LINE

R.I.P.

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2012, 10:30:20 am »
Wow. I signed up for this forum, because I thought it was a forum for Liverpool fans. Clearly I was wrong.

Offline LondonRedMan

• wants to donate to RAWk because a kindly mod took away his nasty CT.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Don't buy the S*n
« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2012, 10:42:29 am »
I'm quite concerned that people are on Rodgers' back already. The man is giving interviews whilst he can (international break) which is better than swanning off to the US Open final and watching Andy Murray (step forward Fergie).

We all know it's going to be a season of transition, we're seeing many signs of improvement and good managerial skills. Brend is ruthless, he has relegated Carra to 4th choice and has sent AC on loan. He makes decisions decisively. Being decisive is what this club has been lacking for a while.

Offline WaltonRed

• Oct 4th: Don't be stupid there are no buyers. Oct 6th: These buyers. I don't like them. Oct 8th: ???
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2012, 11:23:10 am »
I dont think there is anyone who wants Rodgers to fail.

We are all desperate for him to succeed.

And obviously its too early even to begin to think of judging him.

But just as its lunacy to get on his back, so its equal lunacy to assume he is goign to succeed, or to assume that because he talks a good talk, he is going to deliver.

FWIW, I thought the decision to appoint him was unnecessarily risky and I still think that.  Not because of results but because I thought in our position we needed someone with more experience.  I hope im wrong but its too early to know either way.

What does make me laugh is the absurd confidence so many posters have that he is definitely going to succeed.  when his name was first mentioned as the new manager, the overwhelming reaction was negative and no amount of revisionism will convince me otherwise.  Im struggling to understand why after our worst league start in 50 years in which we have failed to score a goal in open play, so many people are now convinced the risk of his appointment has been proved correct.  It hasnt; the appointment was risky in the summer and is risky now.  It might prove to be a wonderful, inspired choice.  But I fail to see how we can yet be sure either way.

Offline Jocko

• Anny Roader
  • We all live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2012, 11:32:02 am »
I'm absolutely not drawing any comparisons, but merely illustrating the complete idiocy of your argument. It's based on your own prejudice and negativity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_Shankly#Huddersfield_Town

You're not drawing a comparison but you offer link to Shankly. What exactly are you saying then? Rodgers is a new Shankly? That because someone else made a success following previous failure then that principle applies to Rodgers?

Facile point laced with misplaced nostalgia

Offline Ken-Obi

• Hasn't got Wan, doesn't deserve Wan
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: isn't going to get one of these either
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2012, 11:36:29 am »
Can someone tell me why is he at the receiving end of so much hostility, three league games into his career as the club's new manager?
Someone should do the right thing - go back in time to 1992 and destroy the codes to Championship Manager before it is ever released

Offline Red Genius

• Part of the Neville clan. Voted "Most misnamed RAWKite" 2009-10. Reformed Coprophagiac
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2012, 11:40:16 am »
Can someone tell me why is he at the receiving end of so much hostility, three league games into his career as the club's new manager?

Because there are a lot of pricks on this planet, a handful manifest themselves as Liverpool football fans.

"I have been privileged and lucky to wear the legendary red shirt. No one can take it away from me. YNWA, I don't have to walk alone because Liverpool FC will always be in my heart."

The Legend - Sami Hyypia

Offline flashman

• Lacking Cum Stilettos
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2012, 11:51:07 am »

I think there is a lot of fear, post Kenny and without Rafa, that we have backed the wrong horse, of course it is way too early to say. End of the season we should be in a position to view progress made.

That said, it would reduce pressure, expectations and media attention if a bit less was said about how good this philosophy is until we start to control/destroy teams week in week out.

Offline The Flying Pig

• Bill. Not improving with age.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Truth? Yes. Justice? Not yet. JFT96.
« Reply #65 on: September 11, 2012, 12:03:51 pm »
Top post. Agree. We as fans have, to be honest, shown no respect to our last 3 managers, it's time for our mentality to change.

Are you saying we didn't respect Kenny?
Suddenly I turned around and she was standin' there
With silver bracelets on her wrists and flowers in her hair
She walked up to me so gracefully and took my crown of thorns
"Come in", She said, "I'll give you shelter from the storm."

I might be in!

Offline Draex

• Geek God of Typing Letters. Hugo unleashes Jaws? Purveyor of fuel products in Kent.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: September 11, 2012, 12:03:51 pm »
Stephen Kelly, in his 1997 biography of Shankly, calls him "the ultimate obsessive". Shankly was fanatical about Liverpool and about football in general. From coaching his players and arguing with journalists to buttonholing fans in pubs, all Shankly "ever wanted to do was talk about football" and to be involved in football....

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #67 on: September 11, 2012, 12:07:40 pm »
I dont think there is anyone who wants Rodgers to fail.

We are all desperate for him to succeed.

And obviously its too early even to begin to think of judging him.

But just as its lunacy to get on his back, so its equal lunacy to assume he is goign to succeed, or to assume that because he talks a good talk, he is going to deliver.

FWIW, I thought the decision to appoint him was unnecessarily risky and I still think that.  Not because of results but because I thought in our position we needed someone with more experience.  I hope im wrong but its too early to know either way.

What does make me laugh is the absurd confidence so many posters have that he is definitely going to succeed.  when his name was first mentioned as the new manager, the overwhelming reaction was negative and no amount of revisionism will convince me otherwise.  Im struggling to understand why after our worst league start in 50 years in which we have failed to score a goal in open play, so many people are now convinced the risk of his appointment has been proved correct.  It hasnt; the appointment was risky in the summer and is risky now.  It might prove to be a wonderful, inspired choice.  But I fail to see how we can yet be sure either way.

I share your concerns. I thought we were in need of a more experienced manager. Mainly because I think we have issues that we need to take care of. They are not going to be popular and a manager with a proven track record could have had it easier to make the necessary decisions. Or at least, he would have had it easier to get the needed buy-in from everyone. So far, I'm not impressed. We have made what I consider the easy decisions. A few tougher ones remain. My fear was always that Rodgers would, more or less, end up in a AVB scenario. Results against, he hasn't been allowed to make the calls he wants. It won't take long before the honeymoon is over and people will have a go at him. At that point, he has very little to fall back on. That's why I say Rodgers' position is weak.

I think Rodgers has shown enough with Swansea. He can get his sides to play the right way and he can get results too. Better than we can expect. I like what he has to say. I think he can be the right man for us. A young manager, who has over-achieved with the players he has at his disposal, who has also had his team play the right way. That's definitely something to build on.

What remains to be seen is - will he get the time? Will he get the proper backing?

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline MichaelA

• MasterBaker, honey-trapper and 'concerned neighbour'. Beyond The Pale. Vermin on the ridiculous. Would love to leave Ashley Cole gasping for air. Dupe Snoop Extraordinaire. RAWK MARTYR #1. The proud owner of a new lower case a. Mickey Two Sheds.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • At the Academy
  • Super Title: MichaelA
« Reply #68 on: September 11, 2012, 12:12:34 pm »
You're not drawing a comparison but you offer link to Shankly. What exactly are you saying then? Rodgers is a new Shankly? That because someone else made a success following previous failure then that principle applies to Rodgers?

Facile point laced with misplaced nostalgia

It would have been easy for someone to write Shankly off after his experiences at Huddersfield. There is absolutely no guarantee that Rodgers will be a success and I've not suggested that he will be. However you're already busy writing off Brendan Rodgers in the most disparaging manner whilst most fans are reserving judgement.

Offline kevin87

• Kopite
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2012, 12:14:47 pm »
You can talk about one great manager winning at all costs , but could spin that and talk about another great manager Arrigo Sacchi who also valued winning but  wanted his team to be entertaining also , why is that wrong? Sacchi did it out of passion , something that Rodgers has as well.Why does it have to be one or the other?

Also , i dont get why ''1 years experience'' is such a big deal , EVERY managment appointment is a gamble , we of all people should know ''35 years experience'' counts for nothing when coming to manage this great club.It all depends whether you glass is half full or half empty i suppose , Dortmund fans were probably having this exact debate when Klopp walked into the club from lower league Mainz , the rest they say is history.

We need Rodgers to stick around and be here for the long term , continuity is what we have been lacking and its what successful teams generally have.So all this insecurity , jury is out stuff needs to be turned into a positive vibe , lets get behind the manager.

good post, and some really well put points.

I really cant believe some of the people on here call themselves liverpool supporters. shankly took time to get liverpool playing the proper way. I am so so so sick of all these "supporters" complaining about rodgers jus talking about his tactics. did you not see signs against man city that when we play at our best under this system that we play some really fantastic football?

Rodgers is the right man for the job i am very sure about that. People complained about hodge as our manager, saying he is tactially shit, now we have a very astute manager tactially, he shares his thoughts on tactics with several supporters groups...which approached him.....such as ourselves... and you slate the man for "just talking". seriously pull yourself together.

we need stability more than anything right now and im so glad that we have rodgers here, I wouldnt want anyone else in world football right now, and i seriously mean that.

Its time we show the man in charge of the club the same amount of respect he shows us, the supporters of liverpool, and the respect he shows for the city of liverpool.

Offline kevin87

• Kopite
« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2012, 12:17:42 pm »

because unfortunately , some people do not actually know a whole lot about the actual world of football (the reality of it, not FM), or what it really means to be a Liverpool supporter or person. Its quite discraceful i think.

Offline Funky_Gibbons

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Follow the gourd
« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2012, 12:19:25 pm »

I don't think anyone has said the appointment of Rodger's has been a success yet. Plenty of us want him to be given time to implement his ideas and are defending him from the unprovoked attacks he is receiving after three league games with throw away comments like 'he talks the talk' just because he wasn't who they wanted as manager.
"And there are red and white scarves of Liverpool, and red and white bobble hats of Liverpool, and red and white rosettes of Liverpool, and nothing else. And the sun shines now."

Offline mjjason

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2012, 12:58:09 pm »
Are you saying we didn't respect Kenny?
People should give Rodgers the same level of respect they gave Kenny.  Kenny is a club Legend and has earned the adoration and love which Rodgers has not done yet but respect should be given to all Liverpool managers.   Right now I see a lot on these boards not even given Rodgers that.

Just to reiterate my point, people often state that respect should be earned but, for me, respect and support are earned once you are named  the manager of Liverpool.  What must than be earned is the adoration, trust, singing the name, devotion, etc that comes with being successful.

People going on about Rodgers talking to much and constantly being negative about him and everything he does and says are not signs of respect.  Sure not everything has to be positive and we don't all have to sing the man's praise or buy his message.   But what respect should afford him is time.  So at least give him that.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 01:18:02 pm by mjjason »

Offline ryan125

• Kopite
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2012, 01:20:02 pm »
I've watched a fair amount of La liga over the last few years, and if Rodgers wants to get us playing like Barcelona (like legitimate pass and move), I simply don't see how people could find a negative angle on this. A lot of Liverpool fans think we played great football last year.... I watched every game and well....no. We strung a couple one touch passes together and people thought we'd arrived...as if that was all there was to it. We'll see another level of football (total football as the Dutch call it) in the coming couple of years, and a lot of fans will be saying 'oh, is THAT how its done?!'. Can't wait till we string some results together, as a lot of fans simply cannot look past the scoreboard, and are being extremely shortsighted and frighteningly negative.   

Offline Seventeen

• Anny Roader
« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2012, 01:23:31 pm »

This. Why so much hostility? I like him. Seems like a good guy with a strong philosophy. It's important that you have philosophy and that you're not afraid to fail - otherwise you'll never move on.

He is the one who took over after Kenny is fired and he is also the one who "deprived" Rafa of his second chance at managing Liverpool.

Offline -HH-

• 'cocky bastard'?
  • Legacy Fan
  • Never forget the Hillsborough victims
    • Footy fans
« Reply #75 on: September 11, 2012, 01:23:41 pm »

I think Rodgers' achievements to date are positive and I don't get the stress in this thread over nothing. He needs time, nothing has changed on that score. However, talking about where Swansea were in 2004 isn't really relevant is it?
Balotelli, Falcao, Cavani...

I'll be shocked if it's anyone other Etoo. Etoo or no-one. Simples.

In fact, I'll do you all a favor and ban myself from the January transfer window forum if we get anyone other than Etoo.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: September 11, 2012, 01:37:45 pm »
I don't think anyone has said the appointment of Rodger's has been a success yet. Plenty of us want him to be given time to implement his ideas and are defending him from the unprovoked attacks he is receiving after three league games with throw away comments like 'he talks the talk' just because he wasn't who they wanted as manager.

In fairness a few have. I've even read one poster saying '' he's perfect for us'' in response to one interview. That's as absurd as calling him out as a spoofer.
But there's no point in taking either of those two examples as indicitive of modern Liverpool fans though. The vast majority of us are like you and me. We'll sit back, support and hope that Rodgers can produce results. Only time will tell.

Offline Runehammer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #77 on: September 11, 2012, 01:43:11 pm »
He is the one who took over after Kenny is fired and he is also the one who "deprived" Rafa of his second chance at managing Liverpool.

Neither of which has anything to do with Brendan and anyone who seriously harbours such a belief is a complete lunatic.

Offline HighSix

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: September 11, 2012, 02:40:29 pm »
Everything Rodgers has said to the media so far I see as positive, inspiring for the fans & hopefully the players if they believe in him.... but at the back of my mind I have the same nagging doubt I had last season when seeing him every other week on Goals On Sunday that he is where he is due mainly to his ability to sell himself.

Offline givemekaliber

• Official Gimp to the Transfer Forum!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Leather Bottle - Halewood
« Reply #79 on: September 11, 2012, 03:56:00 pm »
Seriously?
WTF?
Tommy Smith is better looking than Sophia Loren

Suarez is an utter lunatic

Smoke bombs/grenades/pyros/giros are necessary