Author Topic: Suárez and referees  (Read 16377 times)

Online RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Suárez and referees
« Reply #80 on: December 16, 2012, 11:00:30 am »
The tackling debate is an interesting one, its fascinating hearing peoples take on incidents like the NGog one. I've seen alot of those kinds of challenges and players hurdling them to then go down and it always just seems to be one rule for their own sides players and another for the oppositions. Divings become such an epidemic in the game and you rarely see people keep their opinions consistent for every side in the league and in the sport as a whole too.

As much as people complain about witch hunts (which clearly do exist) some of us as fans, play straight into them just as much as the media. The whole reputation thing definitely comes into play in this and certain players for opposition sides wouldn't get the benefit of the doubt for things others would. Apply this hurdling a challenge debate to a number of players considered 'divers' across the coarse of a season and peoples judgement of the laws of the game and the challenges in question will vary massively. The only exception i can maybe have a little understanding for is when it comes to a fierce rivalry, when it comes to sides the majority of a teams fanbase have a strong dislike for, the judgement of a foul or dive seems to change due to the reputation of an entire side as cheats and the magnitude of the match being played.

I dont remember the NGog incident incredibly well, i remember most of the detail from it but the most important factor is something i don't, the main two issues for me in the type of challenge in question are A. could the player have continued his move rather than going to ground and B. how reckless and dangerous was the challenge. Obviously there are grey areas and its not as black and white as these two factors alone but i still feel these are the main two factors.

In terms of Suarez i feel he has changed his approach to the game a little, whether its down to a change of position and him occupying slightly differing areas of the field or something else i'm not completely sure and the fact i've missed a few of our games this season due to work most definitely plays a part but i can't remember the last time i saw him receive the ball with his back to goal and roll his marker to take them on. He still gets fouled a ridiculous amount but it seems to be in different situations this season, i feel the most common situation in which he was fouled before was the back to goal one, time and again we would see players steam in and clatter into the back of him, drag him by his shirt as he took the ball past them on either side or kick at his ankles as he took them on. We don't seem to see him in this type of situation quite as much anymore
« Last Edit: December 16, 2012, 11:05:31 am by RyanBabel19 »

Offline theredguy03

• Put balls in his mouth and nearly choked
  • Legacy Fan
  • Coutinho- Used to be Man City's tormentor
« Reply #81 on: December 16, 2012, 12:01:12 pm »
Suarez is a marked man I feel (thanks to the media in this country) even if he does something kind ie, donate money to charity, help young kids to play football... people will always hate him just for who he is.

I feel sympathy for the Referees they must have a hard time whenever they officiate a Liverpool game because of Suarez's reputation. I fear for him whenever we play Man United and Stoke as their players will try and provoke him leading to a reaction that will lead to a red card. Against Southampton he had his shirt pulled, he probably thought 'if I go down people will call me a cheat.' and wanted to play fairly.

Ferguson and Pulis are complete hypocrites, by saying 'he is a disgrace to the game' and 'he is turning fans away from football' respectively. They need to look at how their players conduct themselves before throwing around accusations.

Yet the Brits get the rub of the green, I don't remember Rooney's dive against Arsenal in 2004, Bale's million dives this season (okay not a million but seems like it!), Young's dives against QPR and Aston Villa last season getting replayed over 300 times and pundits coming out and calling them cheats/divers.
My favourite all time LFC player? Tough choice.

Offline bigbear

• offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to arrest and imprisonment of the international porridge thief and furniture wrecker Goldilocks
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: December 16, 2012, 02:55:09 pm »
He was funny yesterday. Every time their keeper held on to the ball. Suarez was stood next to him with his hands in the air counting the seconds he had held onto the ball. Childish but funny.

Offline lfcbob

• Legacy Fan
  • Oh campione
« Reply #83 on: December 16, 2012, 03:37:11 pm »
He was funny yesterday. Every time their keeper held on to the ball. Suarez was stood next to him with his hands in the air counting the seconds he had held onto the ball. Childish but funny.
Think he would been told to do that
“Everything will be ok in the end. If it’s not ok, it’s not the end.”

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: December 16, 2012, 03:39:28 pm »
What's the point of keepers having a 5 second rule for holding on to the ball when the last time it was given as a free kick was probably David fucking Elleray? Stupid rule if it's never implemented.

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #85 on: December 16, 2012, 04:19:15 pm »
What's the point of keepers having a 5 second rule for holding on to the ball when the last time it was given as a free kick was probably David fucking Elleray? Stupid rule if it's never implemented.

I'm pretty sure, it's 5 seconds to move while holding the ball.  I'm not sure if it says they have to release it within that time.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #86 on: December 16, 2012, 04:53:56 pm »
6 seconds to release the ball. Rarely called, but it should be.
Better looking than Samie.

Offline Prof

• fessor Yaffle. Full tosser.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
    • The Alternative Premier League Table
« Reply #87 on: December 16, 2012, 05:17:46 pm »
6 seconds to release the ball. Rarely called, but it should be.
Oh right, thanks.

Offline smicer07

• Negative, miserable sod!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #88 on: December 16, 2012, 09:23:38 pm »
Sorry yeh meant 6!