Author Topic: Suárez and referees  (Read 16414 times)

Offline E2K

• A seriously talented
  • Legacy Fan
Suárez and referees
« on: August 30, 2012, 10:56:34 am »
Luis Suárez is nobody’s fool: he knows how it is. In a sport where the interpretation of the rules by officials and governing bodies is invariably a moveable feast, where the boundaries of what is acceptable can shift considerably depending on the random judgement of a referee or, occasionally, the importance placed upon your nationality, your club and who your teammates and manager happen to be, the Uruguayan is almost an old reliable at this stage, a mere fourteen months since his arrival in England. He is a constant.

Last Sunday at the Britannia Stadium, Stoke City’s Jermaine Pennant thought he should have had a penalty kick after a challenge by Arsenal’s Kieran Gibbs. Both referee Lee Mason and his assistant on that side of the pitch, however, thought differently. Furious, Pennant could be seen turning towards the assistant referee and gesticulating wildly with his hand as the play went on. We can assume, I think, that a few choice words were also directed at the official. Pennant, by the letter of the law, was probably fortunate to escape a caution. At the Hawthorns on the opening day of the season, however, Luis Suárez was less fortunate, booked by referee Phil Dowd for doing something very similar (and, in fairness to Pennant and Stoke, he also gave a penalty to West Brom for an Agger challenge not too unlike the Gibbs one, albeit in a more central position).

In an ocean of uncertainty, where incidents must be processed in a matter of seconds under the glare of the television cameras and rules often applied out of sheer instinct, the Uruguayan has become a rock for the likes of Phil Dowd. Where Suárez is concerned, there no longer appears to be any doubt or hesitation. One word out of line – reach for the book.

Last Sunday Andre Marriner made it 2-for-2, brandishing a yellow card for something the Uruguayan said after his 17 year-old teammate Raheem Sterling was fouled for the umpteenth time by the Manchester City defence. Marriner, who had shown something of a laissez-faire approach to this all afternoon, clearly took offence at being told how to do his job, perhaps like Steve Bennett did at Old Trafford back in 2008 when Fernando Torres calmly pointed out that he was being kicked from one side of the pitch to the other and got booked for his trouble. Referees can be a sensitive bunch, can’t they? Well, they can be, yes, but there is a maddening inconsistency to their interpretation of what constitutes a bookable offence and what doesn’t. Perhaps some referees are simply more competent than others? Maybe it depends on whether they’re having a bad day, a simple case of human nature? If Phil Dowd hears a particularly nasty insult thrown from the crowd, for example, would that make him less likely to be understanding the next time a player curses at him in the heat of the moment?

However, as we know, it often depends on who it is standing in front of them too. The likes of Wayne Rooney, Rio Ferdinand, John Terry, I would wager Steven Gerrard too if he was so inclined, and plenty of others will always be given plenty of leeway by match officials due to their status within the English game. Remember the short-lived “Respect” campaign? The impetus for that, as I recall, sprang from a midweek game between Tottenham and Chelsea at White Hart Lane where Mike Riley patiently stood trying to calm an irate Ashley Cole, who appeared to be firing a barrage of abuse at the official. It’s only a personal feeling, but I have to wonder whether a lesser player than the England and Chelsea left-back would have received that kind of temperance from Riley. The ability to book players for abusive language was already there at that point, and indeed Cole was booked as I recall, but Steve Bennett certainly didn’t show that level of patience to Javier Mascherano at Old Trafford a few days later. Was that simply down to a difference in refereeing style or maybe a case of following the new hard line orders from the FA to the letter? Perhaps, but I bet it didn’t hurt either that this was a hot-headed South-American and not an England international.

These days, Luis Suárez is that hot-headed South-American. Of course I understand that the rules need to be enforced and that abuse of officials is unacceptable. If I had my way, I would put microphones on the referees and assistants (ala rugby) and let the whole world hear the kind of stuff they have to put up with on a weekly basis. The kind of righteous indignation sure to follow would, in my view, put an end to foul and abusive language far quicker than the odd random yellow card here and there (the beauty of this idea, as an aside, is that the utterly unreliable judgement of referees wouldn’t matter in the slightest – someone like Rooney could escape a foul-mouthed tirade without a caution, but the viewing public at home and the authorities would still hear it loud and clear). I have no time for players abusing referees, but at the same time there needs to be consistency there (e.g. Liverpool were charged with failing to control their players last season for surrounding the referee away to Fulham, something Manchester United have been doing with impunity for years). The only element of consistency I see at the moment is provided by Liverpool’s number 7, and examples of him receiving the benefit of the doubt from officials seem to be dwindling all the time.

The Uruguayan simply has to be aware of where he stands by now. Sid Lowe’s recent (excellent) article on the player certainly suggests that he's a self-aware individual. He acknowledges that some may have a less than favourable view of him, stating that “if people reach conclusions as to what I am like based on what they see from me on the pitch, they would say I am a guy who is always annoyed, always in a bad mood, they’d say what must it be like to live with me.” He knows only too well how opposition supporters view him too: “they are opponents and they want to have a go, that’s it. They’re not people who know me. It's just another stadium whistling.” Which is exactly the right attitude to have and a clear indication that the regular booing he gets at away grounds doesn’t bother him in the slightest. He also speaks of “effort and sacrifice” in trying to explain why he is the way he is on the pitch – passionate, restless, outspoken, cantankerous, often furious, one of the “two different people” within him. He states that he “can’t conceive of anyone wasting even five minutes in a game…I can’t bear the idea of not trying to make the most of every single second.”

No doubt that kind of attitude would make you scratch and claw for absolutely everything (I wish I had a little more of it) and we’re lucky to have someone like that. But here’s the thing: referees don’t care. The FA don’t care. In a sport that’s regularly filled with rage and vented spleen, diving and cynicism, where the widespread attitude seems to be that the ends justify the means, some people nonetheless get singled out and gain a reputation for gamesmanship. This has already happened with Suárez. When I look at him, I don’t see a dirty player. He’s put in a couple of awkward challenges in the past (Parker and Ivanovic at Anfield last season spring to mind) but there was no malice in them. He’s gone down easily on occasion, but there are (and have been) far worse offenders in the English game than him. Yet as early as the start of last season, there was this sense that he was somehow the greatest cheat who had ever set foot on English soil, a figurative dark cloud hanging ominously in a sunny blue sky.

This idea was no doubt fertilised by the horse shit that came flowing out of Alex Ferguson (who should know all about divers, he’s had quite a few) after Liverpool’s 1-1 draw with Manchester United last season (“Suarez dives all over the place and it makes it very difficult for the referee”) or Paul Scharner after the 2-0 win at West Brom (“it was a nice dive for the penalty”). There were also the widespread accusations of getting Jack Rodwell sent off in the Merseyside derby by supposedly making the most of an innocent tackle, a position which neglected to note that his ankle was rolled inwards as Rodwell followed through. Malicious? No. Painful? Probably. Not too long after that, you heard this kind of rhetoric creeping into commentary with increasing and alarming regularity. By the time last Sunday rolled around, he could barely draw a whistle from Andre Marriner in a physical battle with Vincent Kompany that surely saw him fouled on a number of occasions. That’s a worry.

Two bookings from two games is also a concern. When I look at this Liverpool team, most of my doubts are in the attacking third of the pitch. There is good quality at the back and in the midfield, particularly with the twin arrivals of Allen and Sahin. Further forward, however, I have some worries, especially when it comes to that central position of the ‘3’ up top. Borini filled that central role against Hearts last week and worked himself into some brilliant positions. His movement and intelligence is fantastic and I do see a goalscorer’s instinct in him in terms of getting himself into the right places, but he nonetheless missed a couple of great chances (and another against City). Carroll doesn’t appear to be Rodgers’ cup of tea, Adam Morgan is untested. So unless someone comes in before Friday night, Suárez is the main man in that position for the foreseeable future. Besides, it’s highly doubtful that any new arrival will possess quite the same skill set as Liverpool’s current number 7 anyway.

With that in mind, Liverpool cannot afford him to rack up stupid suspensions. He’s already had a few of those in his time at the club – 1 game for giving Fulham supporters the middle finger last season and 8 for the incident with Evra which, while obviously contentious in terms of the lack of proof as regards what was actually said, nonetheless saw him needlessly engage a clearly riled-up opponent who was intent on provoking him. That’s 9 games, and another booking on Sunday (don’t rule it out) would see him over halfway towards another suspension with only 3 games gone. Suárez, whether we buy another striker or not, is vital, and it’s vital that he gets a bit cuter about putting himself in those kinds of positions. For now, he’s an easy target. I'm not saying it's a conspiracy, there’s no grand plan to force him out of England or anything crazy like that. The tide of opinion is simply against him, that’s all. He’s not the first, he won’t be the last. It might not stay that way indefinitely but it’s probably going to be the case for this season at least. He must realise that.

It’s been said, and I tend to agree, that the Lowe article may be part of an initiative by the club to paint him in a better light to those who would believe everything they’ve read about him over the past 14 months. There has been a tendency from some to focus on the worst of him since his arrival in England. One article, outlining the allegations against him shortly after the Evra incident last October, for example, went on to detail how Suárez handled the ball in the World Cup against Ghana and was then “caught laughing about it as his Uruguay side won on penalties to reach the semi-final.” From that description, you get the impression of a maniacal psychopath laughing at the pain of an entire nation rather than someone who was genuinely happy because his country had reached the World Cup semi-final. It went on to mention his 7-match ban for biting and suggest that “though Suárez’s career in England has so far been free of acts of cannibalism, his undoubted skills have not been completely unblemished” and again made claims about the Rodwell sending-off and the Uruguayan’s supposed “theatrical reaction to what was little more than a tap on the foot by Rodwell’s trailing knee.” Here we were, just a day after the initial accusations from Evra, and the Uruguayan was already being painted as a dodgy, untrustworthy cheat. Racism was shortly to be added to the list.

Well if the Lowe article is indeed an attempt to provide balance, then hopefully that exercise is part of a bigger picture. The player needs to help himself too. Nobody needs an excuse to point the finger at the lad, be it officials, the media or the FA (funny how both Rooney and Cole have gotten away without punishment in the past for similar gestures to the one made by Suárez at Craven Cottage, for example), so he shouldn’t provide one. His passion, effort and will-to-win are wonderful attributes. I wouldn’t change them for the world. And things are said in the heat of the moment on a football pitch, we all know that. But he needs to be smarter. The last thing we want him to be is the poster child for a sport which cannot make up its mind about what’s acceptable and what’s not. If that remains the case, then I fear that defenders like Kompany and Olsson (who somehow escaped a booking on the opening day) will continue to be able to take liberties knowing that referees will give them the benefit of the doubt while Suárez continues to accrue needless yellow cards and suspensions and the rest of us just tear our hair out.
Twitter: @e2klassic
Blog: theredstar.home.blog

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Suárez and referees
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2012, 11:25:29 am »
Excellent post mate yet again.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Moldyman

• Heart and soul, one will burn.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2012, 11:33:02 am »
great post lad

Offline weebroalan

• Liable to be bamboozled at traffic lights. Beware! Prefers creme eggs to whoppers. Mr irresponsible-in detention for getting on a train
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2012, 11:42:49 am »
The truth is that Suarez is his own worst enemy sometimes and his theatrics are a bit of a joke at times.

You can spend all your life pointing the finger at others who do wrong to justify your actions but he would be better taking a look at himself and sorting out his behaviour and think about the example he is setting to young kids.

Blaming the media for making him a scapegoat is again avoiding dealing with some of his unacceptable behaviour as a player.

Offline Guz-kop

• Baz cop
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2012, 11:47:35 am »
Neither of his two bookings this season have been justified, especially not the one against WBA. I feel sorry for the lad because the media and old demento down the road have got their way and he's now got an undeserved reputation and a target on his back from everyone outside of the club. Someone at the club needs to sit him down and say whilst others can get away with pointing at a linesman 60 yards away, he can't. Not at the moment anyway. It's hard though because you don't want him to be thinking TOO much about what's going on and curbing X, Y or Z and just let his instinct take ove on the pitch.

It's wonderful, it's marvellous, it's 3-3

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2012, 11:50:02 am »
He gets nothing for fouls either though.....

Now, he's no angel, but he's also no Ashley young...

He makes sure he goes over when he's touched, but I've not really seen him throw himself to the ground for nothing.....
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline helmboy_nige

• A diplomat... except in the face of total morons
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2012, 11:51:41 am »
Quite simply the club need to protect Suarez in the press.  This is the type of thing that ferguson would do.  Unfortunately, you need to be in a stronger position to do it, which means Rodgers needs to get on side with the press in order to then complain to them about lack of protection.  Without press support any complaints will be labelled by them as a 'rant' (see Rafa).

Suarez does complain far too much on the pitch, but then so do the likes of Rooney.  However, his two bookings this season have been a joke.

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2012, 11:52:35 am »
Good post, as always.  I think Suarez also needs help from his teammates on this front, or specifically his captain. When Suarez is getting kicked all over the place by opposition defenders it is Gerrard (who as you have pointed out may have more leeway) who should be remonstrating with the ref and getting in his ear.
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline Bastion Of Invincibility

• Anny Roader
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2012, 11:53:44 am »
The Premier League is basically agenda-driven reality television. The Sky producers decide on which incidents they'll replay endlessly and which they'll brush under the carpet. The tabloid-reading knuckle draggers that make up the fans of 95% of clubs will lap it up. Wayne Rooney's off-the-ball elbow on Wigan's James Mccarthy was the worst act of cowardice and villainy I've seen in the last few seasons, yet he not only escaped a ban, but any type of longterm media scrutiny.

I don't want Luis to change. He doesn't elbow players off the ball, he doesn't dive without contact, he doesn't routinely put fellow professionals in danger unlike half of the Stoke team. If he cuts down on his theatricality, he'll lose his edge. Let's just enjoy him while we have him, and send him away to Barcelona/Real Madrid after a few seasons in the Champions League with our blessings. You can't win against such a level of hypocrisy.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 11:55:42 am by Bastion Of Invincibility »

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2012, 11:56:02 am »
Special rules for Suarez. You can kick him as much as you like and he's not allowed to react. Can't stand that myself. A good example was vs City when Sterling was hacked down and Suarez got a yellow. That's the ref having no understanding of the situation. We saw last season how Bellamy was given yellow cards for nothing. Refs need to improve there. It's stupid to punish someone like Suarez for things that others get away with every single game.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Walk On

• Legacy Fan
  • Walk on, walk on, with hope in your heart ...
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2012, 11:57:26 am »
Brilliant post.

There always appears to be a way in which foreign players are viewed in these shores.  Much has been made about the Respect campaign and how Johnny Foreigner has come in and does not understand the English game, or the rules and customs.

However, nothing is said about the behaviour of the English/British players be they towards the officials, fans or fellow professionals.  The Pennant and Cole incidents are just the few of a huge list of incidents where the Terry’s of this world can be seen hounding the officials yet nothing is made of it… its part of the game.

On another note, its been mentioned on TAW but someone needs to get a hold of Gerrard and ask as a captain what does he think his role is… it was clear to all and sundry that Sterling was getting knocked from pillar to post but I don’t recall him approaching the officials with even a gentle word to say have a please keep an eye out for the lad.  He needs to represent all the players on the pitch is and is meant to be the spokesman for the players and not just to have a go at them when they don’t make the run he anticipates (re: Borini).
- Rebuilding the Bastion

Offline BobbyDavro

• can't skate
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2012, 11:59:15 am »
That's very true Jackal.  If he's the baddie South American, it needs the poster boy to step up.
Suarez is obviously intelligent, he should see that what he currently does isn't working and change it accordingly.

Abusing the referee for not giving the decisions doesn't work.  Theatrically exaggerating the contact doesn't work.  It does for others, it doesn't for him.

He could do lots of things differently, but I'd suggest a very calm "that's one".....then "that's two"...etc and so forth calm word in the ref's ear each time he's fouled would work better than getting more and more wound up and snarling that he's getting nothing.

West Brom was comical mind...Long got everything, Suarez and Borini got nothing...and the West Brom fans sound off with no sense of irony about "same old scousers, always cheating".
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 12:00:57 pm by BobbyDavro »

Offline OkieRedman

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 12:27:06 pm »
I think he's toned down the theatrics a bit this year so far. He also doesn't seem to be going down as easy as he was last year either.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 12:39:03 pm »
Brilliant post.

There always appears to be a way in which foreign players are viewed in these shores.  Much has been made about the Respect campaign and how Johnny Foreigner has come in and does not understand the English game, or the rules and customs.

However, nothing is said about the behaviour of the English/British players be they towards the officials, fans or fellow professionals.  The Pennant and Cole incidents are just the few of a huge list of incidents where the Terry’s of this world can be seen hounding the officials yet nothing is made of it… its part of the game.

On another note, its been mentioned on TAW but someone needs to get a hold of Gerrard and ask as a captain what does he think his role is… it was clear to all and sundry that Sterling was getting knocked from pillar to post but I don’t recall him approaching the officials with even a gentle word to say have a please keep an eye out for the lad.  He needs to represent all the players on the pitch is and is meant to be the spokesman for the players and not just to have a go at them when they don’t make the run he anticipates (re: Borini).

Agree. It's easy to say Suarez should adapt and learn, but when there are different rules for players it gets extremely frustrating. When Sterling was hacked down, Suarez was right there. Gerrard wasn't. Suarez did what I'd expect him to do - he reacted and stood up for Sterling. It cost him a yellow card, but I don't blame him. It's the ref who should have seen the situation and acted differently. Instead he just took the easy way out and put all the blame on Suarez. It's weak and it will do nothing for the "respect of the game". (That's just nonsense the way it is now.)

I'm very much for the respect campaign, but then refs should wave the yellows for everyone, not just a select few easy targets.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline ArcticRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 12:42:25 pm »
I see the point in suggesting he curb his "enthusiasm" a tad... but at the same time that approach worries me. I firmly believe that bending over and accepting injustice won't ever make it relent. On the contrary, it will only make things worse. Accept it, and we'll make him a valid target for everyone. To a certain extent, he already is. And I don't blame him for standing up against it. I'm not sure even Gandhi would've been able to keep his calm amidst all the shit Luis has been subjected to during his time in England.
The parallels to the Mascherano incident is uncanny. Punish Johnny Foreigner for something that happens in almost every game, every week, every season. To set an example. And forget about it afterwards.

What we, and the club, can't do, is let Luis fight it alone. The support will always be behind him, but the club needs to start working to nip this in the bud. Whether through the PR department and working the media... through quiet, off the record meetings with the FA/Premier League... or both of the above... I don't know. Someone just has to pipe up. Preferrably someone who got half a chance to pull it off without risking any major punitive action from the powers that be. Hence I agree with Jackal that our captain probably should've taken a slightly more active role and got in the refs ear a bit more in the last couple of games. And perhaps in Luis' ear a bit as well... to save him from himself ever so slightly. At least until the end of the game.
Cause it shouldn't be Luis' job to pull the ref up on stuff like his non-reaction to Zabaleta hacking down Sterling. In situations like that I would expect the team captain, whoever he happened to be, to at least ask for some clarification on where the ref draws the line, and what merits a booking.

Makes you wonder, though, what's going on between a refs ears when he can allow that kind of tackle on a 17 year old go unbooked, but can't take whatever words Suarez might've thrown at him.
Or when elbows to the throat is seen as a non-incident... as well as screaming at the linesman from 2-3 yards... but waving him off from 30 yards away is a bookable offence. The mind boggles.

The worst thing we can do to Luis is to "neuter" him on the pitch. Curb him, and I'm fairly certain we won't see half the player he is now.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 12:49:12 pm »
Its about reputations and Suarez clearly has a poor one in certain circles and yes that includes officials.

Referess go into matches with pre-conceived ideas which leads to certain players being treated differently to others and no its not fair.

Thing is to recognise this and tailor your approach accordingly, however frustrating this may be.
A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 12:52:58 pm »
I've been hoping to see an intelligent post on this subject. Well done E2K. I think most Liverpool fans would have raised an eyebrow when they saw Pennant escape a yellow card for a semaphore-cum-verbal attack on the linesman that lasted at least twice as long as Luis's v West Brom. And like you say Rooney does it every week. The fat prick can't help himself.  But Rooney seems to have a special license from referees to gesticulate and abuse too - and that's the key point.

Referees do have it in for Suarez. There's no point in denying that. Some of it stems from his previous form - the hand ball incident and the biting incident were part of his CV when he arrived. Some of it is probably unconscious and low level racism. He's not English. He's not northern European. He's not even European. He's Latin American and therefore he'll cheat if he can get away with it. But I also think that he's punished because he's skilful and tricky.

Many English referees - though not all of them - have the same attitude to tricky footballers as many English footballers do. They are there to be kicked. The more original their skills are (as in "shit, I ain't see that before") the more you're entitled to kick them. There's a feeling, born of an inferiority complex I'm sure, that actually says pyrotechnic brilliance deserves to be met with punishment. Nutmegging is cheating. Step-overs are cheating. Excessive use of the back-heel is cheating etc etc. All of these skills merit a degree of physical violence in response. None merit the ref's protection.

The only thing I've yet to see when some brute like Olsen smashes Suarez around the head with his elbow is a complicit wink to the ref. But in a way it's not necessary to see such an exchange. Both the fouler and the ref are on the same wavelength. "That'll teach him" they are each saying to themselves.

Fortunately Luis is fast developing a way to conquer both fouling defenders and approving refs. He's beginning to do what Messi does - which is not only to ride bad fouls, but to spring up from the deck when he's hacked and continue with the ball. There are enough genuine football fans in England for this beautiful approach to the game to be met, eventually, with nothing but acclaim. The optimist in me thinks that Suarez will actually win a lot of respect in the next two years.

Finally, you also mention Ferguson's calculated outburst on Luis.  It is of course born of fear. He attacks Suarez because he's scared of him. It's the same reason he gave a press conference to say that Suarez should never play for Liverpool again. When we play them in a few weeks time Ferguson is bound to drop some poison into the well prior to kick-off. It's as natural for him to do this as it is to reach for the whiskey bottle in the morning.  It'll be interesting to see how Rodgers handles that one.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline Yiannis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Reds fan from Greece
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 12:57:42 pm »
You are right about the unequal treatment of Suarez in general and the yellow card at West Brom was a complete joke especially if you take into account what had just preceded with that c*nt Olsson. But during the last match against Arsenal and before he got the yellow card,I remember him complaining in the same tone at least 3 times.IF he was given a warning about his behavior and continued to complain then maybe he had it coming.
Messi in fact doesn't have a recognizable trait.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 12:57:46 pm »
Referees in England always have a very, very clear agenda. You'd have to be odd not to notice. Which is why the lack of comment from the media is even more annoying that it should be.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline OperationIvy

• Kopite
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 01:01:24 pm »
Fantastic OP.

I think Suarez should just back off the refs, theyre not going to change their biased views. The only people that can help sway the refs into giving Suarez a fair deal is Gerrard and the crowd (for home games).

Offline Billy1561

• The egg-beating, Turbo Wrist-Action King. Conqueror of Mow cop otherwise known as The Cow Mopper! Too old for Google...too overloaded to byte.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Scouse by birth. Red by choice.
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2012, 01:01:39 pm »
Enjoyed reading that, thanks for writing it.
You're spot on, Suarez really has to get smarter because he is one of the first the refs look for particularly away from home. It stinks the way some refs officiate and never have to explain their decisions but we have to be bigger than that and keep above it. Difficult i know.
"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life."

Offline Dar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2012, 01:05:29 pm »
Suarez doesnt need to change anything, what do you want him to do just stand there and take it when some big dopey defender trys to decapitate his kneecaps. A good clever forward will go down when needs be.. they all do, look at Long against west brom etc etc doesnt need to be said really, he current predicamant is more a case of highlighting the lack of backbone in the club and the lack of know how to handle the media with there agenda targerting against certain indivduals driven by certain other clubs who have more power. Hopefully the changes in the summer will have improved  the backbone and media saviness within the club and hopefully Rodgers will have some form of tactics to protect him on and off the pitch.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 01:07:00 pm by Dar »

Offline Sahara

• Kopite
  • 8 Dimensional
« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2012, 01:05:59 pm »
I felt Andy Carrol was contrite in theatrics considerably above Suarez last season. Suarez is undoubtedly a moaner, but if he tumbles to the ground he usually immediately picks himself up. He does need more support from his team-mates maybe the likes of Gerrard Johnson can involve themselves more, Raheem sterling needs more protection in future matches. 
★              ★              ★              ★              ★             ★ 

Offline Red_Mist

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • CORGI registered friend (but not a gas engineer)
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2012, 01:06:01 pm »
When we play them in a few weeks time Ferguson is bound to drop some poison into the well prior to kick-off. It's as natural for him to do this as it is to reach for the whiskey bottle in the morning.  It'll be interesting to see how Rodgers handles that one.
It's inevitable like you say yorky. Hopefully Rodgers will just ignore whatever the prick says. We all know he only says it for a response. Love it if we never ever gave him another one as long he's still breathing. It's difficult. Like trying to ignore a badger trap in your favourite armchair. But he just needs blanking out.

Offline Runehammer

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2012, 01:20:00 pm »
Great OP.

I'm with Arctic Red here tho', I don't see how Suarez can really "get smarter", the root problem is that he gets fouled and doesn't get decisions, it is his nature that makes him complain etc, now I am firmly of the opinion that if he doesn't get that out of his system by haranguing the ref then it will out when he lashes out physically and that would end up worse for both him and us.  Alternatively, if he does get "smarter" and just let things ride then we are left with a far inferior player.  I think we are stuck with this situation whilst Ferguson is around at the very least however.

I'd prefer our captain to be a lot more pro-active than Stevie in all honesty, leading by example is fine but it is not going to help Suarez, intercession would be a more effective approach IMHO.  I don't think Stevie benefits from being skipper either (not that it's all that relevant here) but one advantage is that I can't see him getting many yellows for pointing out to refs how much of a battering Suarez is getting.

Offline Swansea Red

• Stuck in no mans land
  • Kopite
  • Leave Swansea Red alone!
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2012, 01:57:44 pm »
The truth is that Suarez is his own worst enemy sometimes and his theatrics are a bit of a joke at times.

You can spend all your life pointing the finger at others who do wrong to justify your actions but he would be better taking a look at himself and sorting out his behaviour and think about the example he is setting to young kids.

Blaming the media for making him a scapegoat is again avoiding dealing with some of his unacceptable behaviour as a player.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2012, 02:34:44 pm »
Regardless of agendas and fairness or unfairness....you deal with things you CAN control....and Suarez and lfc can only control our behaviour....we should try to influence refs and media appropriately, but the best way to not get a booking is to not give the ref an opportunity.....hard as it is that is the reality...Suarez is aware of it, and acknowledges the fact in his interview with Lowe when talking about being castigated by the Uruguay manager for "letting him down"
Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline stevo7

• RAWK Remembers
  • Legacy Fan
  • Direct Action Now
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2012, 02:36:33 pm »

Now, he's no angel, but he's also no Ashley young or any other england/premier league poster boy.

I think Suarez does exaggerate contact sometimes, but as other people have pointed out, his 'protection' has been none existent. Maybe if he got the same treatment for fouls on him, he would cut out the 'theatrics'.

It's a 2-way thing. I'd like him to communicate a bit more with the Refs, let them know whats going on.
Don't throw a strop have a word.

Offline kevmck

• Kopite
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2012, 02:57:10 pm »
excellent post..

the best thing suarez can do when hes gonna get all irate is just laugh and shake his head.  if he does that hes not feeding the public opinion thats already so set against him - and will give the ref's less to work with when they're looking to get him booked.

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2012, 03:20:36 pm »
He has been getting a lot of special treatment form the referees lately as in he can get kicked about all over the place and when he complains he will get booked. Which is why he should just shut up and get on with it and learn to ignore it. I know how hard it can be but its for the better of the team and himself that he isnt booked or maybe sent off.
Justice for the 97

Offline Heighwayondawing

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on The Reds
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2012, 03:46:12 pm »
Good post, as always.  I think Suarez also needs help from his teammates on this front, or specifically his captain. When Suarez is getting kicked all over the place by opposition defenders it is Gerrard (who as you have pointed out may have more leeway) who should be remonstrating with the ref and getting in his ear.

Aye. To be honest, I don't think our Captain is anywhere near as vocal as I would like on of off the pitch. I realize he has an image and an International career to maintain, but aside from vouching for Lucas a few years back (and really he was admonishing corners of our own support), I can't remember him playing the role you suggest very often. Some will say that his Captaincy style is to lead by example, but I don't know.
The one most important thing that we all must remember, in case it slipped our mind, is this club is much more important and bigger than anybody. I'll never forget that and anybody that does is being a wee bit irresponsible and stupid I think because the club is more important than any one individual. The Club is, The Club.

Offline Uruguayan36

• Loose Wires mouthpiece
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2012, 04:19:26 pm »
Aye. To be honest, I don't think our Captain is anywhere near as vocal as I would like on of off the pitch. I realize he has an image and an International career to maintain, but aside from vouching for Lucas a few years back (and really he was admonishing corners of our own support), I can't remember him playing the role you suggest very often. Some will say that his Captaincy style is to lead by example, but I don't know.
Suarez was the captain of Ajax...

Offline Not A Scouser

• Anny Roader
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2012, 05:34:33 pm »
I think the only player around he complains as often, as loudly, and as obviously as Suarez is Craig Bellamy.  Suarez doesn't get booked for saying something, or arguing with a referee.  He gets booked for doing that all game long.  It is true that once referees think you will give them crap all game long they will book you early on so you will shut up.  They did it with Bellamy wherever he played.  There isn't an agenda here other than referees hate being given crap all game long, as they should.  If Suarez doesn't want to get booked he shouldn't complain so obviously or so much.

I think he won't stop because he is maniacally competitive, which is what we want.

Offline scouse29

• Legacy Fan
  • Koppite
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2012, 05:54:03 pm »
He frustrates me when he picks up two yellow cards in two matches for arguing with the ref regardless of who is right. We need him on the pitch and not in the stands, three more and he has a ban.  it's a pointless argument as the ref will always come out on top.

Now the ref was shite Sunday but he brings some of this on himself. More often than not a genuine foul is not given his way because of his previous play acting.
The Liverpool way!!!

Offline Pistolero

• BELIEVE. My bad. This. Lol. Bless. Meh. Wow just wow. Hate on. The Ev. Phil.
  • Legacy Fan
  • A serpent's tooth...
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2012, 05:58:28 pm »

nah...the truth is in the OP
They have life in them, they have humour, they're arrogant, they're cocky and they're proud. And that's what I want my team to be.

Offline Heighwayondawing

• No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
  • Come on The Reds
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2012, 06:21:12 pm »
Suarez was the captain of Ajax...

If your point is that named Captains rarely live up to the standards I would like exhibited by those holding the title, I agree.
The one most important thing that we all must remember, in case it slipped our mind, is this club is much more important and bigger than anybody. I'll never forget that and anybody that does is being a wee bit irresponsible and stupid I think because the club is more important than any one individual. The Club is, The Club.

Offline Carlos: Very Kickable

• Pompous Twat. Scourge of Pinko Liberalism. Attitude to Cyan Conservatism is unclear. Lives in a Monochrome world and is baffled by colours.
  • Legacy Fan
  • As Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus would say...
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2012, 06:30:24 pm »

BR should send him out in cricket pads to make a point.
I know you struggle with reading comprehension Carlitos, but do try to pay attention

Offline Dubit10

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #37 on: August 30, 2012, 06:38:52 pm »
He's a marked man now and im afraid the FA want him out.
Robbie Fowler is God

Offline bepoq

• a-lu-la!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
« Reply #38 on: August 30, 2012, 06:43:25 pm »
I think the only player around he complains as often, as loudly, and as obviously as Suarez is Craig Bellamy.  Suarez doesn't get booked for saying something, or arguing with a referee.  He gets booked for doing that all game long.  It is true that once referees think you will give them crap all game long they will book you early on so you will shut up.  They did it with Bellamy wherever he played.  There isn't an agenda here other than referees hate being given crap all game long, as they should.  If Suarez doesn't want to get booked he shouldn't complain so obviously or so much.

I think he won't stop because he is maniacally competitive, which is what we want.

It is also clear that English referees run matches on pre-decided agendas as Andy mentions above. This does not mean active conspiracy, there is much in between. Exhibit A, and the only one you need because it was so spectacularly egregious, being the Pepe handball against Chelsea a few years back, clearly decided before the game began. Exhibit B, being Web in the World Cup—a worse display of refereeing you would be hard come up with in a high profile match, yet the media still say "Web, (and English referees in general) the world's finest—you can tell because they picked him for the world cup final" and somehow they never continue with "and then he demonstrated what a load of shite that is by fucking it up royally". Yorky is dead right (was it yorky?). The refs (and the media) prodded by Ferguson, have decided that Suarez is a sneaky, diving, nasty cheater, he must be because he's a south american (and, also ought to be kicked because skillful—nice one again yorky lad).

Offline johnjohn

• Anny Roader
« Reply #39 on: August 30, 2012, 06:44:20 pm »
Great post OP and the last paragraph particularly so where you talk about Suarez needing to help himself.

If you don't mouth off at the officials, you won't pick up a booking for it. Simple.  It doesn't matter if this player or that player gets away with it, Suarez can only control his own actions, or not control them as the case may be.

Two bookings in the first two games means its highly likely that he will get a one match ban at some point before the cards get wiped. Hopefully he can be 'clever' in terms of timing when he hits 4 yellows so that he doesn't miss a crucial game.