Author Topic: Chasing the Title  (Read 1415993 times)

Offline jepovic

• Only interested in the "prestigious" games, so won't be celebrating anything less.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Meh sd f
Re: Chasing the Title, The Pack Chasing Us
« Reply #3880 on: January 31, 2019, 07:33:40 am »
A draw against Leicester is by no means a disaster (0-4 would've been  ;) ) What worries me is just that we're not playing very well right now. In particular, our defense isn't that solid.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #3881 on: January 31, 2019, 07:35:15 am »
City will face the same problems we did against this at the Etihad, they are a devil of a side to play against.
Outside of the top 6, I think Palace and Leicester are probably the two toughest teams to play at home due largely to their threats on the break. They are now out of the way thankfully and apart from possibly Spurs, which will be a tough one, we’ve got to be looking at maximum points from our remaining home games.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #3882 on: January 31, 2019, 07:37:54 am »
Yep. We've had two chances now to potentially kill City off. When we played them and last night and we haven't taken either chance. We keep giving them hope. We have to stop that.
Or...we've played 24 games and we are killing their hope because the gap is widening and we're not losing matches of football.

Offline ScubaSteve

• Sworn enemy of SnorkelStephanie
  • Legacy Fan
  • Every other Saturday's me half day off......
« Reply #3883 on: January 31, 2019, 07:38:46 am »
A draw against Leicester is by no means a disaster (0-4 would've been  ;) ) What worries me is just that we're not playing very well right now. In particular, our defense isn't that solid.

It’s pretty obvious why though. Our right back is a mess until Trent gets back and Matip is making mistakes with Gomez and Lovren preferred options ahead of him

Online Raid

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3884 on: January 31, 2019, 07:38:52 am »
Not even Taggart's great United sides were completely infallible at home. Wasn't his best tally something around 89 points over a season? City's season last season has heightened what people think it takes. It was record breaking for a reason.

We're a point further clear, a game further down the line, and another day towards Trent and Joe hopefully being fit. Get our defensive unit back together and we won drop many more points

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3885 on: January 31, 2019, 07:40:01 am »
It’s not a massive blow to drop points in one game. We wont win them all, neither will City. I don’t get many of the posts in here. We lead the league with 5 points with 14 games to play, we were 4 ahead when we had 17 left. We’re in the best position we’ve been all season, bar maybe just before the City game.

Offline the_red_pill

• Hasn't got a fucking clue when the Reds are playing next.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #3886 on: January 31, 2019, 07:42:39 am »
Leicester have won the league 19 times?
First time I'm hearing this?
Like you say- Leicester- that legendary powerhouse of league football..
"Some listen to understand. Others listen to respond."
"A fool does not delight in understanding, but only in revealing his own mind."
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

But he'd make the shortlist

Offline Fitzy.

• I before E, except in Dalglish. Thumbs down for thumbs up! Premature ejaculator in the post-match whopper circle jerk. Might be the Rupert Pupkin to Neil Atkinson's Jerry Langford. Wants to know who did this, but may never find out.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #3887 on: January 31, 2019, 07:43:06 am »
It’s not a massive blow to drop points in one game. We wont win them all, neither will City. I don’t get many of the posts in here. We lead the league with 5 points with 14 games to play, we were 4 ahead when we had 17 left. We’re in the best position we’ve been all season, bar maybe just before the City game.
Even before the City game we hadn't ridden the deep midwinter of January. We have now and we're 5 points clear. That's better than 7 points clear with 19 to play. L

Look at the top 6, everyone has dropped points this month. The conditions were atrocious last night.

We're in such a healthy spot right now.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #3888 on: January 31, 2019, 07:48:54 am »
We've started the new year much in the same way we started the season (the obvious exception being the 4-0 win against West Ham). The only difference this time around is that our defense isn't bailing us out as much as it did earlier on in the season. You're just never all that confident whenever Lovren or Matip are in the side and the last two matches have been very tough with no recognized RB as well. Having TAA back would obviously be good but getting Gomez back will be massive. He was Virgil's equal earlier on in the season.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 08:03:38 am by Caligula? »

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #3889 on: January 31, 2019, 07:57:55 am »
We've started the new year much in the same way we started the season (the obvious exception being the 4-0 win against West Ham). The only difference this time around is that our defense isn't bailing us out as much as it did earlier on in the season. You're just never all that confident whenever Lovren or Matip are in the side and the last two matches have been very tough with no recognized CB as well. Having TAA back would obviously be good but getting Gomez back will be massive. He was Virgil's equal earlier on in the season.
Yep- that's the drawback of a squad and cover- they're not as effective as the player ahead of them, but we already know this. We've always had that problem and so has everyone else- which is why your first choices need to be exceptional(something we've struggled with these past, almost- 3 decades) and win as much as they can/perform to their optimal best- WHEN they're fit. A real balancing act.
Every team's had to deal with that unfortunately and it's not going to change.

AT LEAST- they're doing their jobs and we're getting what we've come to expect from cover. Lovren's a nice guy, but he's not first choice because we have 2 who are better. He's got at least 1 clanger per game in him(the difference in focus between a world-class player and one just below that) and do not have the same ability to recover as effectively as VVD/Gomez and that's enough to score at least a goal every other game against us(and worse if it's "one of those days"- and the whole back 4 is affected). After his mistake- his focus increases to what it should've been, for the rest of the game, but he does not have a consistently high focus that can span almost an entire season- like that of say- VVD.
Still, I'm happy with Lovren as a backup. I don't think we can easily get a better deal. There are other areas we can focus on- Matip for instance.

Can't wait for Gomez and TAA to get back and that, almost impenetrable wall going back up again.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 08:15:04 am by the_red_pill »
In such a sumptuous festival of shite, I wouldn't be so quick to pick a winner..

Offline Sharado

• Stop crying
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3890 on: January 31, 2019, 08:00:29 am »
Even before the City game we hadn't ridden the deep midwinter of January. We have now and we're 5 points clear. That's better than 7 points clear with 19 to play. L

Look at the top 6, everyone has dropped points this month. The conditions were atrocious last night.

A very sane post. People's opinions are coloured by city's 18 game winning run last year even though:
A) nothing in their form this season suggests they can do that and
B) they more than rode their luck in loads of those games last year.

Let's see where we are after bournemouth.huge test against West ham and need a response first.
3 midfielders minimum in the next window. And probably another young CB to boot.

Anything else is negligent.

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3891 on: January 31, 2019, 08:16:49 am »
City’s form last season has fucked everyone in the head so much so that January games are being treated like cup finals.

That is not healthy for anyone. City have lost 4 times already. They are not invincible and they will NOT win every game left.

Offline Tiz Lad

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3892 on: January 31, 2019, 08:24:36 am »
12 and a draw to go

Lose the title on goal difference if City win all 14

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3893 on: January 31, 2019, 08:27:46 am »
Lose the title on goal difference if City win all 14

They wont win all 14.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3894 on: January 31, 2019, 08:45:09 am »
What’s the better situation, winning last night and then dropping 2 points at West Ham or the result last night and winning at West Ham?

I know which one I’d rather have had.

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3895 on: January 31, 2019, 08:46:30 am »
It wasn't that long ago that people only talked about a "title race" in March and April. All fuelled by Sky of course but we've been talking about a title race since September. Its hard not to get carried away but in reality this period of the season is still all about jostling for position, getting into as good a spot as possible going into those final couple of months.

The trouble is that last night very much felt like a race. There was panic on the pitch and in the stands. Full backs trying 25 yard volleys, everything was forced when what we needed were cool heads. We didn't create a lot but when we did it was on the back of controlled possession and measured build up.

There were other factors last night, Leicester played well, the injuries are hurting us at the back, the conditions were poor and we should have had at least one penalty. But it did feel like the strain of a title race was being felt even though we aren't even out of January yet. I really hope we learn from last night.

There is so much time left. The gap is five which would be huge in April but now it doesn't mean that much. We lost and drew a game this month, do the same next month and we could be second going into March. Ignore everything thats happening around us, hard as it may be, and just focus on doing on what we have been all season. The pressure shouldn't be telling already.

Well said my dude. There is far too much pressure because people are getting carried away far too prematurely.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3896 on: January 31, 2019, 08:46:47 am »
What’s the better situation, winning last night and then dropping 2 points at West Ham or the result last night and winning at West Ham?

I know which one I’d rather have had.

Or we could drop points against West Ham as well.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #3897 on: January 31, 2019, 08:57:08 am »
City’s form last season has fucked everyone in the head so much so that January games are being treated like cup finals.

That is not healthy for anyone. City have lost 4 times already. They are not invincible and they will NOT win every game left.

You're exactly right. Never in my entire life have I been this on edge for a match and it's fucking JANUARY. No way was I like this in January in 13/14. The nervousness is filtering down to the players who look scared to death of making a mistake. Everyone needs to chill the fuck out. There are months left in this campaign. Months.

Offline killer-heels

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3898 on: January 31, 2019, 08:59:11 am »
You're exactly right. Never in my entire life have I been this on edge for a match and it's fucking JANUARY. No way was I like this in January in 13/14. The nervousness is filtering down to the players who look scared to death of making a mistake. Everyone needs to chill the fuck out. There are months left in this campaign. Months.

They have lost 4 matches and its only January. Wasnt there some unwritten rule about only losing 5 or something.

They are not invincible. They cannot clock 100 points. They wont win every match left.

Oh and just in case everyone is panicking, Spurs wont win the league.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3899 on: January 31, 2019, 09:00:40 am »
Or we could drop points against West Ham as well.

Which I think we will because we’re not playing well and the defence has reverted to type.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3900 on: January 31, 2019, 09:05:40 am »
We lack experience on the pitch to achieve big things. I was hoping to sign some experienced midfielder or forward who knows how to deal with pressure and difficulties. Red Nose wasn't that stupid when he signed Van Persie, or Bayern when they signed Alonso. We need someone like that in order to fight for the title till the end.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3901 on: January 31, 2019, 09:07:09 am »
We could lose every game till the end of the season.

(We don't tend to lose games. We're feckin brilliant.)
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3902 on: January 31, 2019, 09:08:37 am »
We lack experience on the pitch to achieve big things. I was hoping to sign some experienced midfielder or forward who knows how to deal with pressure and difficulties. Red Nose wasn't that stupid when he signed Van Persie, or Bayern when they signed Alonso. We need someone like that in order to fight for the title till the end.

If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Online spider-neil

• Can watch 30 games in a day. He's not Spidey - he's Sway!
  • Legacy Fan
  • does whatever a spider can, spins a web any size
« Reply #3903 on: January 31, 2019, 09:09:46 am »

Milner. But he wasn't available yesterday.

Offline the_red_pill

• Legacy Fan
  • Frankly my dear...
« Reply #3904 on: January 31, 2019, 09:15:49 am »
Think our forwards are experienced enough by now. Apart from that, we've got an experienced league winner as manager and at least someone like Jimmy Milner on the pitch.
I think you mean Costa/Drogba/Suarez? Someone with *ahem*.. "experience"?
If you do- I don't think we need that kind of experience at the moment. I want us to be as clean as we can be- with just a twinge of "gamesmanship", just enough..
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 09:19:43 am by the_red_pill »

Offline Doc Red

• Chills before posting and wishes others had too
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The eye cannot see what the mind does not know.
« Reply #3905 on: January 31, 2019, 09:19:35 am »

Great post, adds some perspective!
The child who is not embraced by the village will burn it down to feel its warmth.
There go my people. I must follow them, for I am their leader.

Offline slaphead

• Nothing up top.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3906 on: January 31, 2019, 09:24:46 am »

I take your point but I don't see it that way.  Salah carries the weight of a country on his shoulders constantly, Milner has done it all before. and I'd rather have Van Dijk when it comes to the nitty grtty that any other defender in the world bar none. Those type of players step it up when the pressure is really on. I heard Alvin Martin on the radio last night. He was kind of talking about what you are saying but he said something that sticks in his mind recently was against Palace, when Palace got a couple of goals and Van Dijk physically and maybe more important vocally, moved up a level to bring the game back, thats what we need in my book. Said it a million times but Van Dijk plays every game we can bring it home

Offline Fitzy.

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Indefatigability
« Reply #3907 on: January 31, 2019, 09:29:39 am »
This. Is. Incredible. Head. Wobbling.

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3908 on: January 31, 2019, 09:31:43 am »

David Silva and Fernandinho’s “experience” looked great for City the other night.

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3909 on: January 31, 2019, 09:35:26 am »
Think our forwards are experienced enough by now. Apart from that, we've got an experienced league winner as manager and at least someone like Jimmy Milner on the pitch.
I think you mean Costa/Drogba/Suarez? Someone with *ahem*.. "experience"?
If you do- I don't think we need that kind of experience at the moment. I want us to be as clean as we can be- with just a twinge of "gamesmanship", just enough..

Yeah, i was thinking about that kind of experience. For me, that's a decisive edge. I like Milner, he's very important, but his experience is more beneficial in the dressing room rather than on the pitch. He's not capable of having a heroic performance when everything goes against us, or controlling the game etc. I hope I'm wrong though.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Kansti

• Legacy Fan
  • Stargazer
« Reply #3910 on: January 31, 2019, 09:36:23 am »
Honestly, threads like this lead to the title challenge getting into the head of supporters, and it will get into the head of our players.

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3911 on: January 31, 2019, 09:37:12 am »

This is why 98% of my time on here is spent in the ticket & travel forum

Jesus christ almighty

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3912 on: January 31, 2019, 09:38:43 am »
I would have been ecstatic if I were told before the start of the season that we will have a 5 point lead at the top at the end of January.

Klopp told us to be believers, not doubters. The nervous atmosphere will not help the players.

Bad pitch, poor weather, lousy referee were probably all factors. Let's just focus on West Ham and be positive.

YWNA

This is more like it.

Totally agree. Last night was irritating but we actually increased our lead.

I can see the West Ham game being more straight forward than last night, to be honest. I don't think it is a tougher fixture at all

Offline [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #3913 on: January 31, 2019, 09:39:11 am »
Nice of Tottingham to wake up and put some pressure from behind

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #3914 on: January 31, 2019, 09:45:17 am »
2.54 PPG and a 5 point lead with almost two thirds of the season gone.

We can draw another 2 and we're still ahead, assuming City keep pace.

People keep telling that City are steamrolling teams and we have to be perfect. Weirdly people have kept saying this despite losses to Palace, Leicester and Newcastle. People are literally looking at the evidence in front of their eyes and proclaiming this City team has the bottle to never drop points again.

Sort your fucking heads out :lmao
:D

Online Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3915 on: January 31, 2019, 09:51:30 am »
2.54 PPG and a 5 point lead with almost two thirds of the season gone.

We can draw another 2 and we're still ahead, assuming City keep pace.

People keep telling that City are steamrolling teams and we have to be perfect. Weirdly people have kept saying this despite losses to Palace, Leicester and Newcastle. People are literally looking at the evidence in front of their eyes and proclaiming this City team has the bottle to never drop points again.

Sort your fucking heads out :lmao

Whilst I agree that anyone claiming City Aden going to go on a 14 game winning streak are ignoring the evidence, you still need to be taking chances which present themself.

Last night was such an opportunity and it wasn’t taken. My head certainly isn’t falling off and I still thinknwe’ll Win the title but it’s massively frustrating.

Offline LFCEmpire

• Legacy Fan
  • Icelandic Kopite
« Reply #3916 on: January 31, 2019, 09:52:52 am »
Nice of Tottingham to wake up and put some pressure from behind

;D ;D

When do Tottingham play at the Etihad?

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3917 on: January 31, 2019, 09:58:47 am »

Lmao what?

Offline Alisson Wonderland

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3918 on: January 31, 2019, 10:02:32 am »
Which I think we will because we’re not playing well and the defence has reverted to type.
West Ham just lost 3-0 at Wolves and 4-2 against a Wimbledon team who is bottom of League 1.  We are 5 points clear at the top of the league.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #3919 on: January 31, 2019, 10:09:45 am »
I'm really hoping that January has been our "blip" without it actually being much of one. I don't think we've played well all month but have still managed to open up a 5 point gap.

West Ham won't be easy but I think it's a good fixture for us. Our recent record against them is great and having an away fixture might not be the worst thing in the world given how poor the home crowd was last night.