Author Topic: Naby Keita Watch  (Read 1893524 times)

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
Re: Naby Keita Watch
« Reply #4680 on: January 12, 2019, 05:03:30 pm »
Think he needs an opposition player to boot him up in the air so he gets his angry head in. Hes way too lackadaisical.
Football is a lie

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4681 on: January 12, 2019, 05:34:35 pm »
He's done that a few times, expected a free kick that was never coming, think he just needs to get used to how the game is reffed here.

you mean when he was blatantly fouled but the ref decided to smile and let it go?

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4682 on: January 12, 2019, 05:37:15 pm »
He was on the pitch for 5 minutes.

Usually takes a sub a good 5-10 mins to get the feel for the game. Give it a fucking rest.

Offline MNAA

• ...mnaa, doo doo, deh-doodoo.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4683 on: January 12, 2019, 05:39:55 pm »
Lay off Naby! He will get it right eventually. Some need no time to adjust. Some need 6 months. Some need a full season. Give him the time he needs to adapt. Once he is settled, he will deliver
Neither party wishes to be bent over backwards but...
coitus will occur

Offline Upinsmoke

• Is a grump, get used to it.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4684 on: January 12, 2019, 05:40:10 pm »
He's still adapting, it's clear.

Offline OneTouchFooty

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #4685 on: January 12, 2019, 05:40:50 pm »
We were getting fouls for that all game so I’m not surprised he thought it was a foul. But he needs to start getting physical and stop giving up when someone bumps into him.

Today is not the day to judge him, touched the ball once and was on about 2 mins.

Offline will2003

• Legacy Fan
  • God and a Legend
« Reply #4686 on: January 12, 2019, 05:54:37 pm »
Think this season he’s getting used to the league, hopefully we will see his full potential next year
"We gave the fans their pride - again. We fought for the fans, we fought for the club and we fought for our players." - Legend

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4687 on: January 12, 2019, 05:56:26 pm »
If ever there was a player that just needs a good run of games, a goal and a bit of confidence, it’s Naby Keita. And it’s difficult for us to give that to him right now, which puts him in a tight spot. So we need to recognise that, be supportive and understanding.

Naby is a ridiculously talented player with supreme ability. I literally think he can boss our midfield for many years to come. But he’s had to wait a year to get his transfer, then endured an injury after a good start, new culture, new language, by himself in a foreign country, shit ton of pressure on young shoulders. I have zero doubts that with the support the club are giving him, he will come good in spectacular style.

So be supportive and patient folks. He’s in a tough spot and so our duty is to show him some love and keep supporting him. Classic case of good things will come to those who wait.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 05:59:06 pm by Keith Lard »
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline LFCsupporter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4688 on: January 12, 2019, 06:03:11 pm »
Hopefully things will improve and he'll get used to the pace. Still plenty of time.

Offline Crouch Potato

• Srofa spud!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4689 on: January 13, 2019, 07:29:03 pm »
I think Jürgen should play him from the start in the next 2 games as they seem perfect for helping a player settle in.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4690 on: January 13, 2019, 07:42:58 pm »
I think Jürgen should play him from the start in the next 2 games as they seem perfect for helping a player settle in.

I agree, at least against Palace he should be given the nod to start. Playing him at Anfield is the perfect place for him to adapt

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4691 on: January 13, 2019, 08:17:00 pm »
I agree, at least against Palace he should be given the nod to start. Playing him at Anfield is the perfect place for him to adapt

Hopefully alongside Fabinho and Gini, would make quite a good midfield. Plenty of power and strength, but also a bit of guile and creativity. The only thing we lack there is range of passing, but perhaps we won't necessarily need it.

Having said that, it's a tough selection when you could go for either Naby or go for Shaq. Both offer us something slightly different but are definitely more on the attack minded end of the spectrum. I would say that so far, Shaq has shown more goal threat and is probably the go to guy but that could easily change for Naby. Sometimes all it takes is for 1-2 classy interventions for the Kop to get behind him, and one suspects that with a bit of confidence behind him he'll kick on to the next level that we know he is capable of.

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4692 on: January 13, 2019, 08:22:10 pm »
Ahead of Shaqiri? Or someone else? I’d love for him to get back into form and take a place in our team, but not sure how you can justify him playing over our other midfielders. It seems unlikely that he’ll play in a two at least any time soon, and further forward he shouldn’t be ahead of Shaqiri. It’s also a role that doesn’t seem to suit him very well.

Offline RedTriumph

• Anny Roader
  • Every man a king...
« Reply #4693 on: January 13, 2019, 08:26:28 pm »
Hopefully alongside Fabinho and Gini, would make quite a good midfield. Plenty of power and strength, but also a bit of guile and creativity. The only thing we lack there is range of passing, but perhaps we won't necessarily need it.
Just lay it back to van Dijk. He'll ping it onto a sixpence.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4694 on: January 13, 2019, 08:34:15 pm »
Ahead of Shaqiri? Or someone else? I’d love for him to get back into form and take a place in our team, but not sure how you can justify him playing over our other midfielders. It seems unlikely that he’ll play in a two at least any time soon, and further forward he shouldn’t be ahead of Shaqiri. It’s also a role that doesn’t seem to suit him very well.

He could play in a 3 alongside Gini and Fabinho though. Probably a good way to get Fabinho more accustomed to playing in a 3. Shaq wasn't great against Wolves or Brighton. With Matip back, I'm sure we'll see Fabinho move into midfield as he has been in terrific form.

More than likely we will go with Hendo Gini and Fab and perhaps look to give one of the 3 rest in the last 20 in place of Naby

Offline Roger Federer

• Christ imagine naming yourself after Roger Federer
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4695 on: January 13, 2019, 08:39:35 pm »
He could play in a 3 alongside Gini and Fabinho though. Probably a good way to get Fabinho more accustomed to playing in a 3. Shaq wasn't great against Wolves or Brighton. With Matip back, I'm sure we'll see Fabinho move into midfield as he has been in terrific form.

More than likely we will go with Hendo Gini and Fab and perhaps look to give one of the 3 rest in the last 20 in place of Naby
I would have nothing against him starting with Gini and Fabinho, but it seems both Milner and Henderson are ahead of him right now. Things can change quickly though and I think we miss the qualities that he’s showed previously in our midfield. No one, apart from Oxlade-Chamberlain, can move with the ball through midfield like him.

Offline DangerScouse

• "You picked on the wrong city!"
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4696 on: January 13, 2019, 08:44:00 pm »

Having said that, it's a tough selection when you could go for either Naby or go for Shaq. Both offer us something slightly different but are definitely more on the attack minded end of the spectrum. I would say that so far, Shaq has shown more goal threat and is probably the go to guy but that could easily change for Naby. Sometimes all it takes is for 1-2 classy interventions for the Kop to get behind him, and one suspects that with a bit of confidence behind him he'll kick on to the next level that we know he is capable of.

Fabinho's passing range is underappreciated.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
« Reply #4697 on: January 13, 2019, 08:59:12 pm »
What we got was a thunderous 60 yard ball to Robertson which nearly led to a goal.

You get used to those from VVD to TAA, good to see it being pinged the other way
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4698 on: January 13, 2019, 09:04:12 pm »

I'd have him ahead of Shaqiri. Shaqiri doesnt have to start in every match, he wasn't exactly top notch against Brighton either.

If Wijnaldum and Fabinho are both playing, and we want another midfielder in there, i'd rather it be Keita ahead of Henderson and Milner because there needs to be a balance.

Offline Bjornar

• Kopite
« Reply #4699 on: January 13, 2019, 09:14:30 pm »
I'd have him ahead of Shaqiri. Shaqiri doesnt have to start in every match, he wasn't exactly top notch against Brighton either.

If Wijnaldum and Fabinho are both playing, and we want another midfielder in there, i'd rather it be Keita ahead of Henderson and Milner because there needs to be a balance.

He´s not really competing against those players as such is he, he´s competing against the 4-2-3-1 tailor made for Shaqiri as a sort of Coutinho replacement against defensive teams. And against the fact our other midfielders are more used to the defensive duties in the 4-3-3, in games where we want to keep it safe. So it´s not who he is better than, it´s that he doesn´t have a role at the moment. But as Roger Federer posted above, things can change quickly. Keita looks full of promise when he gets minutes, doesn´t look resigned or frustrated to me.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 09:21:15 pm by Bjornar »

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #4700 on: January 13, 2019, 09:20:39 pm »

Agree, as useful as Shaq has been this season, he’s just as useful coming off the bench. Get Keita in for these next two home games.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #4701 on: January 13, 2019, 09:27:43 pm »
you mean when he was blatantly fouled but the ref decided to smile and let it go?

Yeah but he just stopped. Play the whistle.
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline BrandoLFC

• Should probably bugger off to Tetiaroa like his namesake did with no access to a telly or the Internet.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4702 on: January 14, 2019, 05:39:44 am »
Yeah but he just stopped. Play the whistle.

Go watch the play again if you think he was getting to that ball after he was fouled.  He wasn't and the ball was quickly moved on.  The bottom line was Kevin Friend was no friend of ours but what's new?  He's fucked us over so much I was amazed that it didn't lead to an equalizer.  How many more Brighton players do you think he could have talked to?  Crazy.

Offline ThePoolMan

• Not quite the Pool Man, more like the ESL Man
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4703 on: January 14, 2019, 07:03:07 am »

The problem is that our other midfielders do not possess the creativity and drive that Keita potentially has. In the Brighton game, it was frustrating to watch time and again, Fabinho or Van Dijk try to pass the ball long directly to the forwards and completely bypass the midfield because the midfield was just passing the ball back to the centrebacks as soon as they were given the ball, and were not even occupying the midfield space most of the time. Instead they flitted around directly in front of the centrebacks. Invariably the long ball to the forwards would be cleared by a defender and possession lost.

Perhaps Keita's adjustment is slowed by his smaller size. Whatever the case, it was disappointing to watch him muscled off the ball so easily by the Berighton player soon after he ran out onto the pitch. Keita has to adjust to the Premiership faster because  we know what he is capable of, and if he adapts to the style of play and intensity like Fabinho has, then it will help drive the team beyond City's ability to catch up in this last stretch towards the end of this season.

Offline vallapureddy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4704 on: January 14, 2019, 07:16:34 am »
Keita did show glimpses what we can expect from him when he played against Crystal palace away from home. He is taking a bit of time to adjust to the new league. Also, the injury didn't help his cause. He will come good no doubt in that. Klopp knows well how to make the player play to his ideas.

Offline idontknow

• idonowknowicanchangethisijustfoundouticould
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4705 on: January 14, 2019, 07:25:33 am »
Keep that quiet, The Owl might be peering in.
It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Offline Byrneand

• Kopite
« Reply #4706 on: January 14, 2019, 03:12:35 pm »
Will be interesting to see how his game time develops over the next couple of months. Especially with Ox coming back and also fighting for the marginal minutes.
If you can't walk in a straight line.... you shouldn't be playing for Liverpool. End of

Offline 88_RED

• Not a real bookie though.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4707 on: January 14, 2019, 03:29:18 pm »
Naby Keita is the player who can do this for us, once he's fully settled and playing regularly.. He did it very effectively in Germany and we have seen glimpses so far. Hopefully Klopp will work with him during the warm weather break in Dubai.

I'm so desperate for him to start showing us what he is all about.

My fear with Naby is that he was signed at a time by the club when we were playing a 4-3-3 with very high intensity for the full 90 minutes. We were a team that loved to attack in the transition and were largely brilliant at it. We also loved to win the ball back in the opposition 3rd.. You always found chunks within our games in the last 2 seasons when the game became stretched and that's when someone with Naby's skill set would have been devastating.

Through the course of this season, as many have already pointed out through very insightful posts, we are a different animal. Much more controlled, much more methodical, much more patient. And we seem to have changed system as well to a 4-2-3-1.

I think this could possibly be the reason why Naby seems to be struggling. But hey ho.. as long as the team is winning and continues to win, its' all good.. up the might reds..

Wrote this about Naby in another thread..
F*CK 0FF Mourinho..

Offline diegoLFC7

• Legacy Fan
  • LFC
« Reply #4708 on: January 15, 2019, 01:52:35 pm »
His quality is evident however in glimpses. He seems a bit shy or out of sorts. Could be the language barrier, or the difference in tactics. Im sure well see the real Keita near the end of the season or after a proper pre season.
Seen us win everything

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4709 on: January 15, 2019, 01:55:10 pm »
If Wijnaldum is out, he may play this weekend, depending on whether  MIlner covers Trent or perhaps Fabinho covers and whether or not Matip is ready to go.

Offline Barefoot Doctor

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4710 on: January 15, 2019, 01:57:46 pm »
If Wijnaldum is out, he may play this weekend, depending on whether  MIlner covers Trent or perhaps Fabinho covers and whether or not Matip is ready to go.

Think the most likely scenario by some distance is Milner at RB and Fabinho in midfield alongside Henderson. In which case, the only way Naby starts is ahead of Shaqiri which seems unlikely as Klopp likes going with the front four in these kind of games.

Would love to see him start, just don't see an obvious way it happens.

Offline Yesitsanextender

• Colonel Mustard in the en-suite bathroom with a lead pipe.
  • Anny Roader
  • i love klopp, kloppy klopp klopp, down in my belly
« Reply #4711 on: January 15, 2019, 02:00:05 pm »
Think the most likely scenario by some distance is Milner at RB and Fabinho in midfield alongside Henderson. In which case, the only way Naby starts is ahead of Shaqiri which seems unlikely as Klopp likes going with the front four in these kind of games.

Would love to see him start, just don't see an obvious way it happens.

agree with this

Offline royhendo

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4712 on: January 22, 2019, 10:26:09 am »
I need to apologise to you all as I temporarily locked this topic and then forgot to reopen it. So by way of apology... Anfield Index's "Under Pressure" podcast highlighted how strong his pressing numbers were in the game on Saturday... could it be the discussion around this kid is overly critical at the moment?
"Word of the day is 'philodox' (17th century): one who is in love with their own opinion, and who consequently believes that everyone else should share it."  @susie_dent on twitter - https://twitter.com/susie_dent/status/1419683653844668422

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #4713 on: January 22, 2019, 10:32:57 am »
I need to apologise to you all as I temporarily locked this topic and then forgot to reopen it. So by way of apology... Anfield Index's "Under Pressure" podcast highlighted how strong his pressing numbers were in the game on Saturday... could it be the discussion around this kid is overly critical at the moment?

I think so. Its his first season in England, getting to a new culture and language, all the while not playing in the position he excelled in for RB Leipzig. As Klopp did with Fabinho, I imagine he's bedding him in this way to get used to the pace and rigors of the premier league. Once he is up to speed, I'm sure we'll see more of him in the center of midfield and his confidence and performances will improve.
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline Bergersrightwingviews

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #4714 on: January 22, 2019, 10:34:36 am »

Probably. Expectations were so, so high. I think we forget that Fabinho was also "struggling" as well earlier in the season. So did Robertson and AOC when they joined.A lot pf people were wondering whether Wini added anything to our game as well until fairly recently.

Keita has a lot more responsibility on the ball than Fabinho (who I think is fantastic) so that could be why he is taking a bit longer to get up to speed. I think he will be fine. He is doing alright at the moment, the team is playing to a really high level which makes a decent performance look like a poor one.

We just need to be patient. 
Roger Scruton was right about everything.

Offline Yorkykopite

• Misses Danny Boy with a passion. Phil's Official Biographer, dontcherknow...it's all true. Honestly.
  • RAWK Writer
  • Legacy Fan
  • The first five yards........
« Reply #4715 on: January 22, 2019, 10:34:53 am »

Oddly enough he performed a wonderful press in the move that led to their goal, running on the ‘wrong side’ of McArthur and cutting off the back pass. Sadly the Palace lad wriggled out of Firmino’s challenge and then saw one of our midfielders ridiculously over-commit and leave an enormous space behind him. But you imagine Klopp saw the Keita press and liked it. It’s the bare minimum to get into the team of course, but without it you’re simply not going to start many matches.
"If you want the world to love you don't discuss Middle Eastern politics" Saul Bellow.

Offline fowlermagic

• Ilittarate
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4716 on: January 22, 2019, 10:38:39 am »
Pity Lallana is struggling so much with his fitness as he would be getting a lot of minutes by now as he would surely be sharing the ACM role with Keita. Both of them have time yet to really push on this season, if luck is willing but both may just be keeping the jersey warm for OX.
I have a simple philosophy: Fill what's empty. Empty what's full. Scratch where it itches. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi5-V75v-6I

Offline JackWard33

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • President of the Harry Wilson fanclub
« Reply #4717 on: January 22, 2019, 10:41:18 am »

For some bizarre reason almost the entire fan base seem to see him as a final third player / creator / goal scorer
(literally the entire Anfield Wrap, most posters on here etc etc) ... he's never been that in his career and he seems to be being judged on the perception / metrics that would apply to a '10' or whatever

Offline Charlie Adams fried egg

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4718 on: January 22, 2019, 10:43:04 am »
I like him and definitely think there's a player in there. I keep thinking back to Burnley which tells me that if he can perform against a team of grocs in a December midweek game in East Lancashire when its pissing down, he'll probably be OK. We just need to be patient and support him.

I was astonished, but sadly not surprised, at the amount of stick he took on the HT thread on Saturday. I get the impression that if he is not gliding around, dropping his shoulder and dribbling every few minutes, then he's having a bad game. It's as though people are expecting the You Tube highlights to be the norm, instead of highlights.

Offline Jookie

• Ruptures, then repairs the tears
  • Legacy Fan
  • Muted Al 666's posts for my own sanity
« Reply #4719 on: January 22, 2019, 10:43:56 am »
Probably. Expectations were so, so high. I think we forget that Fabinho was also "struggling" as well earlier in the season. So did Robertson and AOC when they joined.A lot pf people were wondering whether Wini added anything to our game as well until fairly recently.

Keita has a lot more responsibility on the ball than Fabinho (who I think is fantastic) so that could be why he is taking a bit longer to get up to speed. I think he will be fine. He is doing alright at the moment, the team is playing to a really high level which makes a decent performance look like a poor one.

We just need to be patient. 

Agree about the patience piece. There's no need to panic at the moment. Plus the pressing stats from Saturday provide some solace in terms of Keita's off the ball contributions.

The point I'd add though is that Fabinho, Robertson or AOC didn't struggle this much to find their place in the team. They were held back and I think each may have had inconsistent performances in their 1st few outings. However, this time last season AOC and Roberston were firmly locked into the 1st XI. Fabinho has done the same thing this year and looks like a fixture in the starting XI for the last 4-6 weeks.

At the moment Keita doesn't look like a fixture in the 1st XI. He still looks like he's coming to terms with the challenge in front on him. A  challenge that the players you have mentioned had overcome by this point. Again, that's fine and Keita may take a longer time to settle. The slight difference is that Keita was dropped in to the team straight away whereas the other 3 were held back and introduced more slowly. I do wonder if that has made a difference.
I think Jookie might just be the best fisherman on this thread.