Author Topic: The Last Kingdom (Netflix/BBC TV Series)  (Read 19502 times)

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
Re: The Last Kingdom (Netflix/BBC TV Series)
« Reply #40 on: May 9, 2017, 01:01:23 pm »
I  forgot about this until we rode past Eddisbury Hill on Saturday on our way to Ironbridge.

I watched the final ep earlier...it's a bit of an anti climax having read all ten books in the series, but it was still enjoyable.

Fot those of you who aren't locals....Eddisbury has long been thought of as the site of an Anglo-Saxon burh/fort built in 914 by Ęthelflęd...that young girl Pete's got the hots for. ;D
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #41 on: May 9, 2017, 02:01:29 pm »
I watched the last 5 over two days and it was really good -

not criticising just noticing -

-did they decide to put eye shadow on him only in this season?
-Sven (one eyed Viking) - was he a directors son - he was awful and didn't bother to do an accent like all the other Danes.

Think after the shenanigans from the Cumbrian guy, he decided he was done with being Saxon and reverting more to Dane....until Alfred told him otherwise. Certainly first half of the series he didn't seem to be wearing any.
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline dave 5516

• Is in a world of shit and loves it! Loves to Buffy up Danny Dyer. A Cyclopath without a Garmin. Sadly not quite bad enough to make the worst commentator list
  • Legacy Fan
  • Si muore sulla bici.
« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2017, 01:53:37 pm »
I watched the last 5 over two days and it was really good -

not criticising just noticing -

-did they decide to put eye shadow on him only in this season?
-Sven (one eyed Viking) - was he a directors son - he was awful and didn't bother to do an accent like all the other Danes.
Did you not watch Kampen om Tungtvannet -The Sabouteurs? If you had you'd have seen Sven...with his accent speaking in his native language, Norwegian ;D....also in that was Peri Baumeister-Gisela. Most of if not all the lead Vikings have been played by Scandi actors.
Exercise is to the body what reading is to the mind.

"If I hadn't doped, I would never have won". "Doping improves your performance between 5 and 7 per cent, and maybe 10 to 12 per cent when you are in a peak shape.

"Doping isn't addictive but it's an instrument of power: whoever wins attracts the money; for themselves, the team and the sponsors"

Offline Nitramdorf

• No longer as forward as he used to be, so has dropped back into midfield. Didn't you hear?
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2018, 05:37:18 pm »
A third series starts on Monday. It's on Netflix this time instead of the BBC. I can't keep up with all these shows. Another one on the watch list.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #44 on: November 20, 2018, 07:41:25 pm »
Just caught this thread had been bumped out of the corner of my eye.  Thank Fuck!!

I absolutely love this show.

Trouble is its been 18 months since the end of series 2.  Need a recap.

Vikings season 5 continues next Wednesday too. So loads of blood curdling Viking chaos for us to feast upon.

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2018, 04:08:55 am »
Just caught this thread had been bumped out of the corner of my eye.  Thank Fuck!!

I absolutely love this show.

Trouble is its been 18 months since the end of series 2.  Need a recap.

Vikings season 5 continues next Wednesday too. So loads of blood curdling Viking chaos for us to feast upon.

I've already seen the first two episodes of season 3, I couldn't help myself. It's still as good as ever.

Offline Buck Pete

• GV66 LJF for short. King Kong Balls. Bathes in peat. Partial to a walnut whip. Gets wet for 24/7 but disappointed Chopper. On the mortgage blacklist. Too tight to really be called a
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2018, 11:23:20 am »
I've already seen the first two episodes of season 3, I couldn't help myself. It's still as good as ever.

I started S03 last night but found it hard going as I just couldn't properly recall the end of season 2

I have just read the full Season 2 finale recap here and all good to go now:

http://reelmockery.com/the-last-kingdom-season-2-finale-recap/

Ready to begin S3 again. What I did see of e01 last night was pretty brutal, especially from Earl Bloodhair and the Witch.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Errol Flynn when he's had a few
  • Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2018, 11:24:32 am »
Great programme but I don't have Netflix  :'(
Legacy fan

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2018, 11:27:51 am »
Great programme but I don't have Netflix  :'(

Me neither

Torrents are your friend :)

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #49 on: November 22, 2018, 06:18:40 pm »
Need a new show to get into over the Xmas period after finishing Maniac, Jack Ryan & Daredevil. Heard nothing but good things about this so might give it a chance.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #50 on: November 22, 2018, 07:30:27 pm »
Need a new show to get into over the Xmas period after finishing Maniac, Jack Ryan & Daredevil. Heard nothing but good things about this so might give it a chance.

Watched S3E1 properly this afternoon as I "worked" from home :)

Once I had done a full S2 recap I'm now right back on this.  Great opening episode of the new series and set it up nicely going forward.

Uhtred..Son of Uhtred!!!

Offline Caligula?

• Most Negative poster on site, Moan, Moan, Moan, Liverpool are shite... Does he ever stop
  • Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2018, 05:15:46 pm »
I'm surprised the series isn't more popular. It think they do a good job in portraying one of history's greatest ever Britons, and some of the battle scenes are epic.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2018, 09:01:16 pm »
I'm surprised the series isn't more popular. It think they do a good job in portraying one of history's greatest ever Britons, and some of the battle scenes are epic.

You can tell the guy who plays King Alfred is a class actor

(I presume you were on about Alf and not Uhtred :))

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2018, 03:10:08 am »

Yes! I think he's an even better actor than the guy who plays Uhtred. Best actor in the series, it's a shame
Spoiler
Alfred will die this season.
[close]

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: November 26, 2018, 12:50:09 am »
This is really good
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #55 on: November 26, 2018, 12:59:52 am »

Pete is this as good as Vikings? And be honest with me, I don't want to binge watch this for nothing  ;D I know you recommended it before

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2018, 09:43:50 am »
Pete is this as good as Vikings? And be honest with me, I don't want to binge watch this for nothing  ;D I know you recommended it before

Toughie mate but I would have to say NO.

Although I don't see Tarantino ever trumping Pulp Fiction but I will still be first in the cinema queue to watch any of his new movies.

Watch the first series and see how you go.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2018, 12:58:40 pm »
Toughie mate but I would have to say NO.

Although I don't see Tarantino ever trumping Pulp Fiction but I will still be first in the cinema queue to watch any of his new movies.

Watch the first series and see how you go.

Cheers mate, I'll give it a go.

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2018, 01:05:05 pm »
Found someone who has Netflix and watched the first 2 episodes of S3, might have to sign up for it now because it's really good.

No idea why this isn't still on the BBC when you look at some of the trash they show.

Will have to start reading the books again.
Legacy fan

Offline realtarragona

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #59 on: November 27, 2018, 11:06:07 pm »
Just finished season 3.

That was brilliant. Love this show.

Offline Qston

• Loves a bit of monkey tennis and especially loves a bit of sausage relief......singularly though #sausage
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Believer
« Reply #60 on: November 28, 2018, 01:42:46 pm »
Looking forward to series 3. I have read all the books and loved them (currently reading his grail series and am on the last one - that also has TV written all over it). Seems to be positive feedback in here. It seems to me, and I could be wrong, that the programme itself is like a slow burner with more fans finding it as each series comes out.
"Just a normal lad from Liverpool whose dream has just come true" Trent June 1st 2019

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #61 on: November 30, 2018, 07:10:43 am »
Just finished season 3.

That was brilliant. Love this show.

Just finished as well. David Dawson (Alfred) is a fantastic actor.

Looking forward to series 3. I have read all the books and loved them (currently reading his grail series and am on the last one - that also has TV written all over it). Seems to be positive feedback in here. It seems to me, and I could be wrong, that the programme itself is like a slow burner with more fans finding it as each series comes out.

I agree. I'd describe it as a slow burner that has actually got better with each season.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #62 on: November 30, 2018, 07:14:13 am »
It's definitely gotten better as it moved along.
Third season dragged a bit in the middle, but has lined up perfectly in the end.

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #63 on: December 2, 2018, 11:47:57 pm »
It's definitely gotten better as it moved along.
Third season dragged a bit in the middle, but has lined up perfectly in the end.

Just finished it as well. Episodes 9 and 10 were fantastic, and it ended brilliantly. It really is one of the better series out there.

I can't wait for season 4 next year. Nothing's been announced yet, but there is no way they aren't making at least another one.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #64 on: December 3, 2018, 12:12:20 am »
I’m 3 episodes in

Day off work tomorrow do gonna binge another 3 or 4 episodes :)

Offline Kopite Tom

• Kopite
« Reply #65 on: December 3, 2018, 08:19:04 pm »
Began this on friday & have managed to watch the first 2 episodes of the first season. Really impressed with what I've seen so far & looking forward to watching some more tonight.

Offline mallin9

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #66 on: December 3, 2018, 11:18:57 pm »
For anyone who likes this show, and I love it, I would highly recommend the King Arthur books by the same author Bernard Cornwell. The trilogy is called the warlord chronicles and is written in the same blunt/funny/inspiring vein as his Saxon tales (the basis of this great show) and the author himself said they're his favorite stories he has written.
1 The Winter King
2 Enemy of God
3 Excalibur

Just sticking my oar in!  Love this show and it's seeming rise in popularity
You'll Never Walk Alone

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bob Mortimer stan account
« Reply #67 on: December 4, 2018, 04:15:44 pm »
After hearing a lot of good things about this, I went to watch the first episode on my first Saturday night off in ages, hoping for something new to binge on.

Had to switch it off after 15 minutes, as I found the acting to be overly dramatic and a bit naff. Does it just take a while to get into it, or if I don't like it from the off, I'm therefore unlikely to get into it at all?

I am a huge GOT fan, so thought it would be right up my street but my suspension of disbelief was quickly dispensed with.
"If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to them again."
Stan Laurel

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #68 on: December 4, 2018, 04:23:43 pm »
After hearing a lot of good things about this, I went to watch the first episode on my first Saturday night off in ages, hoping for something new to binge on.

Had to switch it off after 15 minutes, as I found the acting to be overly dramatic and a bit naff. Does it just take a while to get into it, or if I don't like it from the off, I'm therefore unlikely to get into it at all?

I am a huge GOT fan, so thought it would be right up my street but my suspension of disbelief was quickly dispensed with.

Episode one of series one or episode one of series 3?

If you are on Netflix you've got access to all the earlier episodes so may as well watch them all in order.

I thought that the episodes I've seen of this series were a bit hammier than the others but maybe that's just the way Netflix wanted it.

I like the fact that Last Kingdom is based around actual historical characters, personally have no interest in the likes of GoT etc but found this really good.
Legacy fan

Offline afc tukrish

• How long for them sausages? Maggie May's Mythical Turkish Delight. RAWK's Expert Sausage Monster! Oakley Cannonier is fucking boss. Likes blowing his friends and undoing their nuts? Who nose?!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • This looks like a nice spot...
    • Flat Back Four
« Reply #69 on: December 4, 2018, 05:43:53 pm »

Felt the same way, gave up during the first episode...

Got convinced to watch Vikings and am immensely enjoying it, and so plan to give Last Kingdom another go once I've caught up with Ragnar et al wreaking Baltic havoc...
Since haste quite Schorsch, but Liverpool are genuine fight pigs...

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #70 on: December 5, 2018, 09:50:24 am »
Episode one of series one or episode one of series 3?

If you are on Netflix you've got access to all the earlier episodes so may as well watch them all in order.

I thought that the episodes I've seen of this series were a bit hammier than the others but maybe that's just the way Netflix wanted it.

I like the fact that Last Kingdom is based around actual historical characters, personally have no interest in the likes of GoT etc but found this really good.
First episode of the first series.

I actually laughed at the acting of the guy who appeared to be the "leader" - seemed like a poor man's Gerard Butler (who's acting I normally end up laughing at as it is). And the script made me roll my eyes.

Does it just take time to get used to it?
Stan Laurel

Offline Danny Boys Dad

• Legacy Fan
  • Now listen here son
« Reply #71 on: December 5, 2018, 11:06:40 am »

I actually laughed at the acting of the guy who appeared to be the "leader" - seemed like a poor man's Gerard Butler (who's acting I normally end up laughing at as it is). And the script made me roll my eyes.

Can't remember what you're referring to now, might have to watch it all again!

I liked it from the start so I think it's worth giving it a bit more time, if you watch GoT you'll watch anything!
Legacy fan

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #72 on: December 5, 2018, 04:30:18 pm »
If you watch GoT you'll watch anything!
How on earth did you reach that conclusion?!

I definitely won't watch anything, and haven't been a fan of many a favourite of recent years.
Stan Laurel

Offline Caligula?

• Legacy Fan
  • SPQR
« Reply #73 on: December 6, 2018, 02:43:18 am »

Yes, it does. Look up the ratings for all three seasons on imdb. The second season has higher marks than the first, and the third has higher marks than the second. It gets better as it goes.

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #74 on: December 6, 2018, 12:55:09 pm »
Yes, it does. Look up the ratings for all three seasons on imdb. The second season has higher marks than the first, and the third has higher marks than the second. It gets better as it goes.

All 3 are good IMO

I guess the show just isn't for him. 

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #75 on: December 6, 2018, 02:29:53 pm »
All 3 are good IMO

I guess the show just isn't for him. 
I think I've quite similar tastes to you Pete, as I read a lot of your opinions on TV shows (and discussed Better Call Saul with you on more than one occasion), so if it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me...to give it one more chance  ;D
Stan Laurel

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #76 on: December 6, 2018, 04:54:48 pm »
I think I've quite similar tastes to you Pete, as I read a lot of your opinions on TV shows (and discussed Better Call Saul with you on more than one occasion), so if it's good enough for you, it's good enough for me...to give it one more chance  ;D

Mate. I also love to watch back to back episodes of LoveJoy on UK GOLD so be careful following my tastes :)

Offline iamnant

• ...call me Adam
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #77 on: December 7, 2018, 04:12:06 pm »
Mate. I also love to watch back to back episodes of LoveJoy on UK GOLD so be careful following my tastes :)
Haha, OK. Noted. Although, I think I'm too young to know of the pleasures of Lovejoy, so I'll take your word for it to be a bit of a guilty pleasure.
Stan Laurel

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #78 on: December 10, 2018, 06:45:23 pm »
I'm now 7 episodes in to season 3.  A stonkingly good series this is.

Nice to see Bernard Cornwell getting a nice cameo in episode 7 with a couple of lines too, right before he got his throat cut :)

Offline Buck Pete

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2018, 06:54:56 pm »
Just finished it as well. Episodes 9 and 10 were fantastic, and it ended brilliantly. It really is one of the better series out there.

I can't wait for season 4 next year. Nothing's been announced yet, but there is no way they aren't making at least another one.

Finished it myself last night. Brilliant

Wide open for next series and a guaranteed 4th Season

Spoiler
Out of the main characters I was surprised only Lord Aethelwold got killed off in this last season the devious one eyed bastard he was but he really did HAVE to go.

Loads of Wrong un's made it through to series 4.  Danes: Cnut and Haestan.  Saxons: Lord Aethelhelm, Lord Aethelred of the Mercians and Bishop Erkenwald.  I look forward to the demise of all of these swines.

Now Thyra is no more I reckon Father Beocca is gonna turn into an Axe wielding maniac :)
[close]