Author Topic: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation  (Read 566664 times)

Offline Bobinhood

• RAWK's Pam Ayres. Man without a hat.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hand over the Trophy
Re: LFC's next manager - chat and informed speculation
« Reply #12400 on: April 26, 2024, 10:53:42 am »
Blunt truth and a total disregard for hierarchy.

I fucking LOVE it. 

The blunt truth is nobody can follow Klopp its like following Messi ok, you just cant do it. Edwards is pretty awesome at what he does and if this guy is a very good young coach whose notable for his man management, is outperforming his pool and looks ready to go to the next level, that's what we want that's what we need thats the best we can do. Pretty useless getting your panties in a bunch about it.
Amplification does not equal truth. 

"Put these seeds in your pocket. At least sunflowers will grow where you lie!"
A Ukrainian housewife to a young Russian soldier, Feb 24,2022.

Offline Jm55

• Would legit drive you round the bend but his car legit won't start. More bounze... to the ounze.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #12401 on: April 26, 2024, 10:54:53 am »
I’m not that arsed to be honest as he’s not manager here yet but to play the other side I think you just need to replace Rodgers saying that, how would you feel as a fan?

“I believe that Liverpool will let me join Real Madrid as it would be a massive step for me”.

“There are negotiations ongoing between clubs, I’m here waiting… I’m happy at Liverpool but #Real would be a fantastic opportunity for me”.

Can’t see that going down well to be fair  ;D

Honestly I wouldn’t be arsed.

The thing which would annoy me is him leaving in the first place for obvious reasons, him being honest about it at the point where it’s virtually common knowledge anyway wouldn’t bother me. I can’t see how that’s less preferable than ‘I am just focussing on the last 4 matches and will discuss my future at the end of the season’ which basically means ‘I’m leaving’ anyway.

Offline mattD

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12402 on: April 26, 2024, 10:54:54 am »
Blunt truth and a total disregard for hierarchy.

I fucking LOVE it. 

The blunt truth is nobody can follow Klopp its like following Messi ok, you just cant do it. Edwards is pretty awesome at what he does and if this guy is a very good young coach whose notable for his man management, is outperforming his pool and looks ready to go to the next level, that's what we want that's what we need thats the best we can do. Pretty useless getting your panties in a bunch about it.

Couldn't put it better myself!

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12403 on: April 26, 2024, 10:55:48 am »
To be fair to Slot, he was level on points with Ajax when manager of AZ Alkmaar, could have won it that season but it was curtailed due to Covid and Ajax were awarded the title (I'm assuming they were ahead on GD). So let's say Slot won the title with AZ and then Feyenoord. Two titles with two different clubs. I think that would put his achievements on par with Amorim who has done it twice with one club. And you can argue that AZ are smaller than Feyenoord.

Fair enough if you think he has done just as good a job as Amorim, but not my view at all. Amorim has essentially had to battle against two Ajax's in his league, Benfica and Porto, who are financially much stronger. Ajax these last years have been awful for everyone to see.

I'm not saying there is a giant chasm between them both or anything, but Amorim for me is on a level below Alonso, Slot for me would be on a level below that along with others who I never would have thought we would be going for after Klopp in a million years.

Let's not beat around the bush here, nobody on these entire boards since January or anywhere, bar the ghost of an Octopus in Germany, would have mentioned Slot as a successor, that is between all the other names from fucking Frank to O'Neil. There is a reason for that.

Not to say for one second if he is hired he can't come here and do amazing things, of course he can and I will be backing whoever it is with the desperate hope we continue with this amazing squad we have, but it a ridiculous gamble nobody could have envisaged and one that does not sit well for a lot of people. There is a massive leap of faith in Edwards to get this right, so whoever it is I just hope the gamble pays off.

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #12404 on: April 26, 2024, 10:55:55 am »
https://amp.theguardian.com/football/2024/apr/26/arne-slot-liverpool-feyenoord-philosophy

Arne Slot: the overachiever and ‘good guy’ who can spark a revolution
Frontrunner to take charge at Liverpool did not make a big impression as a player but has resemblances to Jürgen Klopp

Bart Vlietstra
Fri 26 Apr 2024 08.00 BST

Liverpool’s move for the Feyenoord coach, Arne Slot, has been described by Ajax fans as “the best news of the year”. Troubled Ajax have been blown away this season, losing 4-0 at home and 6-0 away against their arch-rivals.

So superior were Feyenoord in every area – tactics, intensity, power, unity, intelligence – that it could have been worse for Ajax. Only in their finishing might Feyenoord have done better.

Their growth over the past three seasons bears the signature of Slot, who came to the club in 2021. When he arrived, Feyenoord were in a situation similar to Ajax’s now: they had finished fifth (Ajax’s position), had no money or remaining prestige and had embarrassed themselves in the Europa League, losing twice to Austria’s Wolfsberger. Players were not fit, there was uncertainty about the style of play, and their captain and top scorer Steven Berghuis had left (for Ajax). In short, there was no real hope.

Slot has changed everything. In his first season, with a mix of revitalised, loaned and cheap players, Feyenoord reached the Europa Conference League final before losing narrowly to Roma.

That campaign marked the start of Orkun Kökcü’s transformation, perhaps the best example of Slot’s impact. The Turkey international had never fulfilled his talent but realised if he wanted to survive in Slot’s high-speed game he had to become fitter, better and more versatile. Kökcü lifted the Eredivisie trophy in Slot’s second season, as captain, and within a month his transfer to Benfica had earned Feyenoord a record fee of €25m plus add-ons.

This season, Feyenoord could end with more points than when taking that title and have won the KNVB Cup. Barring an improbable set of results they will finish second behind PSV and qualify again for the Champions League. They provide more players for the Netherlands (Mats Wieffer, Quinten Timber, Quilindschy Hartman, Lutsharel Geertruida) than any other club.

Slot is an overachiever who can spark a revolution. In many respects he resembles Jürgen Klopp. He is intelligent, relies on attacking football and high pressing, is didactically strong, surrounds himself with skilled assistants, brings wit into his media dealings and is searingly ambitious. His voice in transfer politics has grown at Feyenoord.

Just like Klopp, Slot did not make a big impression as a player. He was a slow, old-fashioned No 10 who played at mediocre clubs (PEC Zwolle, NAC Breda and Sparta Rotterdam).

Slot grew up in Bergentheim, a small village in the Netherlands’ so-called Bible belt. Ali Boussaboun, a former teammate at NAC, says: “I never heard him swear, never heard him say goddamn. In that self-control I could already see a coach.”

The “good guy” from the small village was toughened at NAC most notably by Henk ten Cate, a streetwise former assistant coach at Barcelona and Chelsea. “Ten Cate demanded more aggressiveness,” Boussaboun says. “Arne had to stretch his limits to the maximum at NAC and even then he did not always play.”

After Slot retired as a player in 2013, he considered studying but started a company selling captain’s armbands with his brother Jakko while working as a youth coach at PEC. The coaching grew on him, which is perhaps no coincidence. From the age of five he had spent Saturdays listening in changing rooms to how his father, Arend, a school teacher, instructed the amateur teams he coached.

Slot, a perfectionist and control freak, has built an impressive football media library of documentation and images of “interesting things”. He constantly tries to widen his horizons, even by watching games at a local basketball club.

Everybody with an interest in football who visits Slot can’t wait for the coach to open his laptop to “just briefly” show a new discovery. At which point he can easily go on for an hour or so about the places Manchester City send in the most crosses, the way teams coached by Jorge Sampaoli put pressure on their opponents or Napoli’s buildup play.

AZ gave Slot his first chance as a head coach, in 2019, and after impressive attacking wins at Feyenoord (3-0), PSV (4-0) and Ajax (2-0) comparisons were drawn to Louis van Gaal. AZ finished joint top with Ajax under Slot in the season cut short by Covid.

He has said of his philosophy: “I want as many good football players as possible in the team and I want to make them work as hard as possible. I believe that when we work to perfect our habits every day, we have more chance to cut out luck.”

That his teams are almost always a joy to watch is important to Slot. During press conferences he sometimes asks whether someone has watched Manchester City or Liverpool the day before. “There are two people who have really enriched football in recent decades, who have never disappointed me,” he said two years ago. “Those are Lionel Messi and Pep Guardiola.

“Messi has everything. Guardiola’s teams always play good, dominant, well-thought-out football. Then of course you have Jürgen Klopp. Manchester City-Liverpool for me is the ultimate game.”

His idolisation of the way Guardiola lets his teams play provoked José Mourinho to such an extent that he snapped at Slot last April after Roma had beaten Feyenoord in the Europa League: “You should watch Roma instead of City or Napoli.”

Mourinho later said Slot was “a great coach” and Marco van Basten, the Dutch legend and former Netherlands and Ajax coach agrees. “I’ve spoken to him a few times and what he does and how he sees the game is very impressive,” he said on the Dutch football talkshow Rondo.

“He gets along very well with the group of players, has excellent tactical skills, can explain things well and is calm and intelligent. I think he can go to any club, even the very difficult clubs, because he is so intelligent.”

Van Basten sees no reason for Slot to fear failure. “If you get AZ and Feyenoord to play [good] football, you will also get the big clubs to play [good] football. I think it would only become easier for him because you have better players who understand what you want sooner. They are often also more stubborn players, but I think Slot is smart enough to manage that.”
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 10:58:33 am by danm77 »

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #12405 on: April 26, 2024, 10:57:19 am »
Fair enough if you think he has done just as good a job as Amorim, but not my view at all. Amorim has essentially had to battle against two Ajax's in his league, Benfica and Porto, who are financially much stronger. Ajax these last years have been awful for everyone to see.

I'm not saying there is a giant chasm between them both or anything, but Amorim for me is on a level below Alonso, Slot for me would be on a level below that along with others who I never would have thought we would be going for after Klopp in a million years.

Let's not beat around the bush here, nobody on these entire boards since January or anywhere, bar the ghost of an Octopus in Germany, would have mentioned Slot as a successor, that is between all the other names from fucking Frank to O'Neil. There is a reason for that.

Not to say for one second if he is hired he can't come here and do amazing things, of course he can and I will be backing whoever it is with the desperate hope we continue with this amazing squad we have, but it a ridiculous gamble nobody could have envisaged and one that does not sit well for a lot of people. There is a massive leap of faith in Edwards to get this right, so whoever it is I just hope the gamble pays off.

Feyenoord are also the third team in Holland, with Ajax and PSV ahead of them. Then add in the point that he may well have won the league with AZ too, an even smaller club.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12406 on: April 26, 2024, 10:58:36 am »
Feyenoord are also the third team in Holland, with Ajax and PSV ahead of them. Then add in the point that he may well have won the league with AZ too, an even smaller club.

Like I said mate, fair enough but not my view. Not a massive chasm though as mentioned.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #12407 on: April 26, 2024, 10:58:46 am »
I translate this as: if you're tired of running for 90+ minutes or your legs are gone, Slot may not be the coach for you.

And a different method for recovery, we might not have as many injuries

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12408 on: April 26, 2024, 10:59:55 am »

Yep, some of the stuff written is laughable. Also hilarious that Ajax being shit counts against Slot somehow but not a mention of how crap Porto currently are against Amorim.

Offline Coolie High

• bury Regular. My opinions are facts, FYI. (whisper it but doesn't understand midfielders)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12409 on: April 26, 2024, 11:01:18 am »
Yep, some of the stuff written is laughable. Also hilarious that Ajax being shit counts against Slot somehow but not a mention of how crap Porto currently are against Amorim.

The same Porto that outplayed Arsenal? They’re not really comparable to Ajax.

Offline danm77

• Main Stander
« Reply #12410 on: April 26, 2024, 11:04:27 am »

They are way off it in the Portuguese league though. A distant third as it stands.

Offline PaulKS

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12411 on: April 26, 2024, 11:05:55 am »
To me this all feels like a bit of a living nightmare, season collapsed, Jurgen leaving becoming a reality

Who the fuck is Arne Slot

Online DelTrotter

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12412 on: April 26, 2024, 11:06:18 am »

Yep, the Porto that is currently 3rd in Portugal, miles off Benfica and Sporting and in a battle not to drop any lower in the league, that one.

One game means fuck all, Fulham outplayed Arsenal. If you wanna do that then Porto are level on points with the team who got knocked out of Europe by Qarabag and miles behind the team who lost to 8th in the French league.

Offline A-Bomb

• Garlic Butter Coming. Isn’t as good as Divock Origi. Can we sell him?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12413 on: April 26, 2024, 11:08:53 am »
Like I said mate, fair enough but not my view. Not a massive chasm though as mentioned.

I think the additional positive for Slot is that stylistically he sets his teams up similar to how Klopp has, so the group of players we have will suit him and the hope is we'll have a smoother transition.

Offline mrantarctica

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12414 on: April 26, 2024, 11:18:24 am »
Whoever it is, I think they'll need to manage expectation carefully.

Jurgen's been there just shy of a decade and is one of the best managers in the modern era. Expectations are obviously massive, and even bigger still when you have a manager like Klopp.

The new manager will need to come in, manage expectation, set up a clear vision of how he wants to take the team forward. They'll need to make sure that the team has an identity and recognize that there is a  "Liverpool way" of playing but also bring in something fresh and innovative about how we approach the game. Personnel will also change, and that includes many players but also staff, so naturally results will likely dip for a season or 2. Realistically if we can make top 4 each year, then we've done well

Offline RedSmoke

• Main Stander
  • He'll pass the ball, calm as you like....
« Reply #12415 on: April 26, 2024, 11:19:28 am »
My Mrs is Dutch, and based on my experience with her I can confirm that the Dutch make terrible football managers.

I mean, she doesn't even understand the difference between the league and a knock out competition.

Oh fuck! We're doomed!  :lmao

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #12416 on: April 26, 2024, 11:21:56 am »
Surprised at what he said before their game last night, but then again, Dutch.

I don't have a problem with it really, I think he's done it out of respect to Feyenoord fans. Better say it as it is than just up and leave after denying any contact like Amorim has for example, or the way the rumour just lingered for a while with Alonso. He'll have put Feyenoord on alert ASAP and had probably already told the players he wanted to get off anyway.

Who knows, maybe in five years he'll tell us all he wants to go to Madrid. Suppose that'd mean he's been successful. Then again, I think the Dutch are better accepting of that 'brutal honesty'
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • "I'm surprised they didn't charge me rent"
« Reply #12417 on: April 26, 2024, 11:22:12 am »
Yep, the Porto that is currently 3rd in Portugal, miles off Benfica and Sporting and in a battle not to drop any lower in the league, that one.

One game means fuck all, Fulham outplayed Arsenal. If you wanna do that then Porto are level on points with the team who got knocked out of Europe by Qarabag and miles behind the team who lost to 8th in the French league.

It should also be pointed out that we lost to the BS the other night. So, it just proves any club can beat another in a certain set of circumstances. It doesn't actually prove anything at all.
"He's trying to get right away from football. I believe he went to Everton"

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12418 on: April 26, 2024, 11:22:26 am »
Whoever it is, I think they'll need to manage expectation carefully.

Jurgen's been there just shy of a decade and is one of the best managers in the modern era. Expectations are obviously massive, and even bigger still when you have a manager like Klopp.

The new manager will need to come in, manage expectation, set up a clear vision of how he wants to take the team forward. They'll need to make sure that the team has an identity and recognize that there is a  "Liverpool way" of playing but also bring in something fresh and innovative about how we approach the game. Personnel will also change, and that includes many players but also staff, so naturally results will likely dip for a season or 2. Realistically if we can make top 4 each year, then we've done well

I think anyone that comes in and makes top 4 would be a very good start, and can hopefully then build from there. I think that would be the base expectation with the squad and players we have. Obviously if they miss out by a point or something it should not be dire either. 

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12419 on: April 26, 2024, 11:27:29 am »
Obviously just a feeling but got bad "Martin Jol meets Brendan Rodgers" vibes about this guy. Respectful tact and diplomacy is a prerequisite for such a high profile role, and unfortunately he's stereotypically Dutch in this regard.

Already acting like a competition winner (which he is, let's be honest) doesn't bode well. Seems to enjoy the fact we're having to negotiate him out of his current contract with Feyenoord via a sizeable compensation fee. Van Dijk's shrugged opinion says it all "seems like one of the better Dutch coaches at the moment", talk about damning with faint praise.

Did I miss it, or has there been anything concrete (not baseless rumours from random sources regurgitated by Samie) as to why Amorim suddenly got dumped after a month of being the obvious media-briefed preferred candidate? His achievements with Sporting do seem superior in a more competitive and diverse league, and by all accounts, was talked of as being a "great communicator". Not that I care much after this past 9 seasons if I'm honest, but this eleventh-hour pivot to Feyenoord's Arne Slot with the obligatory puff pieces that's he absolutely the right man for the job, 6 months after Klopp handed in his notice, seems somewhat straw-clutching and desperate.

Easy to say in hindsight but with a vacuum above the manager, maybe John Henry should have pulled a Billy Beane approach and made Xabi Alonso an astronomical offer in Dec/Jan, take it or leave it, rather than let it drag out for 3 months allowing Bayern's PR machine to run amok and unsettle him into a U-turn. Timing is everything, as in life.

You're being silly and far too stubborn now.  Jol achieved nothing close to what Slot has done in the Netherlands.

Initially I wasn't all too impressed but there is enough out there to gauge that he has potential.

It's a good trait to be open minded enough to shift your view.

Offline Stockholm Syndrome

• Djurgården Disease
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12420 on: April 26, 2024, 11:32:38 am »

Financially aren't Feyenoord miles behind them two too - their top earner gets £20k a week, and Ajax and PSV squads are worth 10x and 5x  that of Feyenoord.

The gulf between 3rd and top 2 in Holland is just as big as it is in Portugal

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12421 on: April 26, 2024, 11:33:11 am »
Jol achieved nothing close to what Slot has done in the Netherlands.

Steve McClaren did though  ;D

Online disgraced cake

• Legacy Fan
  • Seis Veces
« Reply #12422 on: April 26, 2024, 11:37:12 am »
Obviously just a feeling but got bad "Martin Jol meets Brendan Rodgers" vibes about this guy. Respectful tact and diplomacy is a prerequisite for such a high profile role, and unfortunately he's stereotypically Dutch in this regard.

Already acting like a competition winner (which he is, let's be honest) doesn't bode well. Seems to enjoy the fact we're having to negotiate him out of his current contract with Feyenoord via a sizeable compensation fee. Van Dijk's shrugged opinion says it all "seems like one of the better Dutch coaches at the moment", talk about damning with faint praise.

Did I miss it, or has there been anything concrete (not baseless rumours from random sources regurgitated by Samie) as to why Amorim suddenly got dumped after a month of being the obvious media-briefed preferred candidate? His achievements with Sporting do seem superior in a more competitive and diverse league, and by all accounts, was talked of as being a "great communicator". Not that I care much after this past 9 seasons if I'm honest, but this eleventh-hour pivot to Feyenoord's Arne Slot with the obligatory puff pieces that's he absolutely the right man for the job, 6 months after Klopp handed in his notice, seems somewhat straw-clutching and desperate.

Easy to say in hindsight but with a vacuum above the manager, maybe John Henry should have pulled a Billy Beane approach and made Xabi Alonso an astronomical offer in Dec/Jan, take it or leave it, rather than let it drag out for 3 months allowing Bayern's PR machine to run amok and unsettle him into a U-turn. Timing is everything, as in life.

Yeah, he won a competition about five days ago mate, won one last season too  ;D

The Van Dijk quote is as pointless to analyse as what Slot said himself last night. He's not going to say he's the super duperest manager in the world even if he was. It's not done yet and there's football still to play under Klopp. He's also not just going to say he's shite either.
Proud follower of the city's junior, and far more successful footballing side

Rome 1977
London 1978
Paris 1981
Rome 1984
Istanbul 2005
Madrid 2019

19 League Titles, 6 European Cups, 3 UEFA Cups, 8 FA Cups, 10 League Cups, 4 European Super Cups, World Champions 2019. We live the dream.

Online jillcwhomever

• Finding Brian hard to swallow. Definitely not Paula Nancy MIllstone Jennings of 37 Wasp Villas, Greenbridge, Essex, GB10 1LL. Or maybe. Who knows.....Finds it hard to choose between Jürgen's wurst and Fat Sam's sausage.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12423 on: April 26, 2024, 11:39:00 am »
Yeah, he won a competition about five days ago mate, won one last season too  ;D

The Van Dijk quote is as pointless to analyse as what Slot said himself last night. He's not going to say he's the super duperest manager in the world even if he was. It's not done yet and there's football still to play under Klopp. He's also not just going to say he's shite either.

In truth Virgil shouldn't be saying anything about it at all, as it's not even official. He should have his mind on finishing the season under the present manager as strongly as possible.

Offline Indomitable_Carp

• Asterixophile
  • Legacy Fan
  • From the depths of Sevvy Park lake
« Reply #12424 on: April 26, 2024, 11:39:00 am »
Had never heard of him before. Still don't realy know anything about him. But he sounds alright, and I trust our backroom staff to pick someone decent.

Kloppo was always going to be an impossible act to follow for any manager. But I'm willing to rally behind whoever comes in next.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #12425 on: April 26, 2024, 11:39:44 am »
Been reading a few things about him from the Dutch media and they are saying that he's very like Guardiola.

Fuck that having someone like that c*nt here.

Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Online Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
« Reply #12426 on: April 26, 2024, 11:41:53 am »
Arsene Wenger was recruited by David Dein from Japan...He had win one league title in France with Monaco in his 1st season, but was unremarkable for years in France. But Dein new what type of manager he wanted and brought him back to Europe.

The men we pay big money to make these decisions have decided that Slot is the best fit for the club. I will be optimistic and will not prejudge because he is not flashy or well known by journos.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline Zimagic

• Legacy Fan
  • Liar, liar with your drawers on fire......
« Reply #12427 on: April 26, 2024, 11:45:28 am »
And a different method for recovery, we might not have as many injuries

Whoever comes in, we should be looking at this anyway.
"Truth, Justice, Freedom, Reasonably-Priced Love and a Hard-Boiled Egg!"

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12428 on: April 26, 2024, 11:46:41 am »
Arsene Wenger was recruited by David Dein from Japan...He had win one league title in France with Monaco in his 1st season, but was unremarkable for years in France. But Dein new what type of manager he wanted and brought him back to Europe.

The men we pay big money to make these decisions have decided that Slot is the best fit for the club. I will be optimistic and will not prejudge because he is not flashy or well known by journos.

I watched a documentary on Prime on Arsene Wenger which was really good and you're right about the fact that no one knew anything about him at all, when he first arrived. This is the problem with a lot of stuff you see on places like youtube. people can make anyone seem totally fantastic, but it only tells you so much. Which is why we have no choice other than to trust the system that's in place.

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12429 on: April 26, 2024, 11:49:46 am »
Been reading a few things about him from the Dutch media and they are saying that he's very like Guardiola.

He openly says he moulds himself on Pep and that there is no team in the world he would rather watch than Manchester City.

Sure he is smart enough to adapt those comments slightly if he comes though.  ;D

Personally don't have a problem with that though, if his aim is to play football that smashes every team apart. Although I guess all managers want the same, it's whether or not they have the talent to do it.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12430 on: April 26, 2024, 11:56:35 am »
Steve McClaren did though  ;D

And that tells you the risk with judging a manager through his work at only one club.

Not the case with Slot though is it? His overperformance at AZ is equally as impressive as his work at Feyenoord. Add in his work at Cambuur too. The run in the Dutch Cup (beating Ajax along the way) with a second tier side shows his ability to overperform in a knockout competition with an underdog. That bodes well for a deep CL run under him.

Meanwhile with Amorim we only have his performance at Sporting to analyse. He started off well at Braga with a cup win but he didn't spend long enough to analyse his league performance over a long run. Massive question marks over his style of play transferring to being a success at a big club in the PL. Think it might do well at West Ham, but I truly don't believe it would have matched up to being a top 6 PL manager and contesting with City and Arsenal.

Far more substance to Slot when it comes to the portfolio and variety of his overperformance, and style of play. And I'm sure a whole lot more if you were to have a sneak peak into Edwards dossier.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 12:04:32 pm by Andar »

Offline Funkster

• Main Stander
« Reply #12431 on: April 26, 2024, 11:58:06 am »
Enough of the whinging Manboys. He is soon to be the boss, everyone should be getting behind him now instead of nitpicking aspects of his character in a completely unreasonable fashion.

Klopp is soon to be gone, Slot might not be everyone’s first choice but fortune favours the bold. Every top coach has to step up at some point. I’ll be giving him my full backing, roll on August.
"Mind you, I've been here during the bad times too - one year we came second." Bob Paisley

Offline Darren G

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12432 on: April 26, 2024, 12:01:29 pm »

Liverpool have recently been outplayed by Atalanta. You can't judge a teams overall quality from 2 games. Porto have been poor overall this season.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12433 on: April 26, 2024, 12:01:54 pm »
He openly says he moulds himself on Pep and that there is no team in the world he would rather watch than Manchester City.

Sure he is smart enough to adapt those comments slightly if he comes though.  ;D

Personally don't have a problem with that though, if his aim is to play football that smashes every team apart. Although I guess all managers want the same, it's whether or not they have the talent to do it.

Thing is Andy all coaches admire Guardiola, even Klopp has been nothing but respectful towards him in his time at Liverpool. As long as he sets the team up to have a proper go at City, I'll be happy. There is an amusing idea that if he did manage to beat City, can you imagine what it would to Guardiola himself? It would be quite amusing, it would be the sort of thing that would drive him insane.  :D

Offline newterp

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12434 on: April 26, 2024, 12:02:34 pm »
Probably already discussed:

1. Will the power press work over a miserably long PL season plus cup comps?

2. He's a control freak? In a good way or a Guardiola way?

Offline Hedley Lamarr

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #12435 on: April 26, 2024, 12:02:49 pm »

He isn’t that similar, I’ve seen him actually smile.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12436 on: April 26, 2024, 12:06:51 pm »
I have to say I'm a fan of his blunt Dutch manner. A few players could do with that bluntness and hard truth. Trent in particular.

Online jillcwhomever

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12437 on: April 26, 2024, 12:11:49 pm »
David Lynch
@dmlynchlfc
·
18m
Klopp asked about Arne Slot: "I like the way his team play football. All the things I hear about him, good guy. Good coach, good guy, if he's the solution then I'm more than happy. [It's the] best job in the world, best club in the world."

Offline Andy82lfc

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #12438 on: April 26, 2024, 12:13:07 pm »
And that tells you the risk with judging a manager through his work at only one club.

I'll have you know Steve also won the league cup with Middlesbrough and took them to a Uefa cup final, insane really, actually the more I write that he sounds way more qualified, anyone reckon he'd come here.  ;D

Offline Nick110581

• Up the tricky reds
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Hearts Jurgen
« Reply #12439 on: April 26, 2024, 12:14:26 pm »

It’s good you formed your own opinion.
No, jazz. You fear jazz. You fear the lack of rules, the lack of boundaries. Oh look, it's a fence. But, no, it's soft.