Author Topic: Lionel Messi  (Read 923400 times)

Offline PoetryInMotion

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • YNWA
Re: Lionel Messi
« Reply #8120 on: March 18, 2019, 08:14:45 am »
Nonsense. What Ronaldo achieved at Madrid, winning 4 CL titles in 5 years and always taking them to the Semi finals is unrivaled by Messi. You can see what happened to Madrid as soon as Ronaldo left. Humiliated and out in the Round of 16 just like they every season before Ronaldo joined.

Messi is easier on the eye but Ronaldo is more effective on the biggest stage.

Yeah, you can just count trophies and say X player is better than Y player. That's how it all works.

Offline BobPaisley3

• SirAlexFerguson2, the bad manc twat :)
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • PGMOL fanboy
« Reply #8121 on: March 18, 2019, 08:27:53 am »
Yeah, you can just count trophies and say X player is better than Y player. That's how it all works.
Course you can, Wes Brown has two European cups and five league titles.
94 Corner to us. Last kick. Ali in the box and he’s scored

Offline markmywords

• Was 2/10. Now 0.5/10. Must try much harder not to make people a little sick in their mouth.
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #8122 on: March 18, 2019, 09:10:19 am »
Nonsense. What Ronaldo achieved at Madrid, winning 4 CL titles in 5 years and always taking them to the Semi finals is unrivaled by Messi. You can see what happened to Madrid as soon as Ronaldo left. Humiliated and out in the Round of 16 just like they every season before Ronaldo joined.

Don't forget he "only" won 2 la liga titles in 9 yrs, but madrid won more titles in the 9 yrs before he joined

Offline killer-heels

• Hates everyone and everything. Including YOU! Negativity not just for Christmas. Thinks 'irony' means 'metallic'......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8123 on: March 18, 2019, 09:14:23 am »
Messi is the greatest I have ever seen. He can do things that no one can. Like, even the way he controls the ball and passes the thing, whilst other footballers of high quality make that look more strenuous.

Its similar in Tennis. If Djokovic wins more majors people will say he is the greatest ever. In victories and stats he may be but there will and can be other Djokovic’s. There wont be another Federer. That ability and style cannot be taught.

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8124 on: March 18, 2019, 09:16:57 am »
If you say Ronaldo is superior, you're just a contrarian.

Offline cissesbeard

• Kopite
« Reply #8125 on: March 18, 2019, 09:20:58 am »
Messi is the greatest I have ever seen. He can do things that no one can. Like, even the way he controls the ball and passes the thing, whilst other footballers of high quality make that look more strenuous.

Its similar in Tennis. If Djokovic wins more majors people will say he is the greatest ever. In victories and stats he may be but there will and can be other Djokovic’s. There wont be another Federer. That ability and style cannot be taught.

thats always the way i think of it - ronaldo and novak are amazing but in a robotic way. messi and federer are artists

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8126 on: March 18, 2019, 09:34:37 am »

Lol. You should look at some of xG vs xA numbers for the two. No one comes close to Messi. Ronaldo is as good a goalscorer as Messi. Ronaldo is nowhere near the goal creator that Messi is. He is nowhere near the playmaker that Messi is. Now players that combine both i.e. those that create their own chances and then score them are extremely rare. Ronaldinho, Henry, Suarez, Ronaldo, Ibrahimovic etc are a few names off the immediate top of my head. But Messi is so good that he is head and shoulders above everyone else in these stakes.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline TheTeflonJohn

• The proud owner of a moist undercarriage. Full LFC bed time attire wanker. Self-confessed CUNT.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Atkinsons Long Leather - Atkinsons Hair Do
« Reply #8127 on: March 18, 2019, 09:41:12 am »
You say contrarian I say nobhead.

Offline Zlen

• Suspicious of systems. But getting lots.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8128 on: March 18, 2019, 09:45:50 am »
Probably a major generational player I've watched least of all and would likely never watch a match just to see him play.
Not quite sure why, he's obviously a true outlier - possibly it's the fact he's playing out his days in that League and that unlikeable club.

I'll watch the highlight real once he retires.

Offline b_joseph

• b_jesus, b_mary, b_joseph and the wee b_donkey. Unloyal gloryhunter who was probably Kelly Osbourne in another life.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8129 on: March 18, 2019, 09:54:39 am »
Just watched the game...its ridiculous that he can still surprise you withnhis greatness. Making teams set out to stop him, look like school kids.
And doing it with such a joy, a freedom. Cant wait to see what he looks like against us in late april.

No reason to trash Ronaldo just because he hasthe audacity to not be as good as Messi. He is an all time great and his consistency is mindblowing, too.

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #8130 on: March 18, 2019, 09:55:06 am »
There's no way to stop him when he is on song absolutely no way... Just pray he has 2 off days if we meet them
Even if the probability of him having an off day is half, the probability of him having two off days is unfortunately still a quarter, which is not high enough....

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8131 on: March 18, 2019, 10:01:06 am »

Ramos won 4 Champions Leagues in 5 years. Is he also better than Messi?
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8132 on: March 18, 2019, 10:14:36 am »
Not bad for a player who is finished and on the way down.

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8133 on: March 18, 2019, 10:18:04 am »
Even if the probability of him having an off day is half, the probability of him having two off days is unfortunately still a quarter, which is not high enough....

As has been mentioned already, Messi’s been knocked out of the tournament in 6 out of the last 7 seasons. We’re as good as or better than all those teams that knocked him out. Stop panicking!

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8134 on: March 18, 2019, 10:39:20 am »
Not bad for a player who is finished and on the way down.

For once that’s a stupid quote that I’m pretty sure isn’t mine ;D

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #8135 on: March 18, 2019, 10:41:21 am »
There are certain questions in life that are great for being able to quickly find out whether a person's opinion is worth listening to or not.

The Ronaldo v Messi question is one of the best for this. Oh you think Ronaldo is better than Messi, I can now walk away from you knowing any conversation with you is pointless anyway. It is a fantastic time saving tool.

Others like this include:

Is Mourinho funny or just a knobhead (more people have come round on this, but was great from 2005-2015)
Do you watch Love Island?
Do you read the Sun?
Do you like Ed Sheeran?
Do you drink skimmed milk?

I'm sure there are loads more on top of this.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Crosby Nick

• He was super funny. Used to do these super hilarious puns
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Poultry in Motion
« Reply #8136 on: March 18, 2019, 10:47:39 am »
I remember us applauding teams off when they had a good game against us. I think that stopped around the late 90s, early 2000s, though? Not sure about individual players, except what goes down in folklore (Best, Moore, etc).

On another note, I'm glad I got to see Messi play in the flesh. Along with Thierry Henry, just watching him warm-up was a treat. Just seeing the class in how they worked with the ball without the pressure of a game, or defenders. Different gravy, as they say.

We’ve applauded the odd goal against us, rather than a player’s genius I think. Unless the Kop saw a lot more in Alan Thompson during his Bolton day’s than the rest of the footballing world did.

Offline The North Bank

• Can even make the sun shine in Manchester - once in a blue moon...
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8137 on: March 18, 2019, 10:49:39 am »
For once that’s a stupid quote that I’m pretty sure isn’t mine ;D

Its mine actually  ;D ;D

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8138 on: March 18, 2019, 11:13:33 am »
There are certain questions in life that are great for being able to quickly find out whether a person's opinion is worth listening to or not.

The Ronaldo v Messi question is one of the best for this. Oh you think Ronaldo is better than Messi, I can now walk away from you knowing any conversation with you is pointless anyway. It is a fantastic time saving tool.

Others like this include:

Is Mourinho funny or just a knobhead (more people have come round on this, but was great from 2005-2015)
Do you watch Love Island?
Do you read the Sun?
Do you like Ed Sheeran?
Do you drink skimmed milk?

I'm sure there are loads more on top of this.

Not that I listen to his music or know much about him but Ed Sheeran seems to get a lot hate. Is it because he's terrible but extremely popular and a bit of a dick, kind of like James Corden? (sorry Nick)
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8139 on: March 18, 2019, 11:14:46 am »
We’ve applauded the odd goal against us, rather than a player’s genius I think. Unless the Kop saw a lot more in Alan Thompson during his Bolton day’s than the rest of the footballing world did.

;D

Was a great goal though.
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #8140 on: March 18, 2019, 11:27:12 am »

Yes I can't say it better than this. Messi has that Federer-like indefinable quality of creating magic and executing moments other players wouldn't even think
of.

The eternal debate is really boring. Ronaldo has sculpted his body like a machine, he's now probably the best offensive header of a ball in the World. His career is insanely good.
But when you remove logic and numbers, just look at the way Messi treats a football and how it doesn't really matter if defenders are on the pitch or not around him.

Messi does what he wants, he's the God's Eye Fifa player for the ages.

Let's hope he stays fit and plays on till 36/37, with plenty of rest.

Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8141 on: March 18, 2019, 11:41:00 am »
He's no Sadio Mane.

Offline harleydanger

• 7/2=3. Proud holder of shittest ideas badge.
  • Legacy Fan
  • If I sound stupid, I'm probably casting a line
« Reply #8142 on: March 18, 2019, 12:03:15 pm »
Imagine being Suarez and not being the best player at the two clubs you spent most your career
WHAT A TIME TO BE ALIVE!

Normally a player can look great on tubes, but one of the things that's encouraging for me is just the amount of youtube videos on him

Offline Geezer08

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8143 on: March 18, 2019, 12:26:43 pm »
Watch Luke Shaw keep him out now!!

Offline BigAl24

• Would rather take one from the whole team than from just one billy goat.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8144 on: March 18, 2019, 12:28:51 pm »
Absolutely insane. Watched the game last night and just I have no more words for him.
"We change from doubters to believers. Now"

Offline lionel_messias

• likes pulling cocker spaniels out of Kim Kardassian's ass
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'You can throw your plan in the purple bin'
« Reply #8145 on: March 18, 2019, 12:30:53 pm »
Watch Luke Shaw keep him out now!!

Better start a GoFundMe appeal for Luke Shaw, that boys blood, ancestry and whole being will
be twisted in both legs against Lionel!
Follow me on twatter: @JDMessias

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8146 on: March 18, 2019, 12:37:04 pm »
The reason why Messi is the GOAT is because he is better at the one thing that they like to credit Ronaldo with, i.e goals. He scored 93 in one year for fucks sake.

Ronaldo is more decisive in the knockouts of the CL. Also, he has the 3 leagues proven, champions league top scorer and assister so he is a worthy adversary

Without him Messi would have all the infinity stones, he is still clearly better

Offline PIPA23

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8147 on: March 18, 2019, 12:37:52 pm »
Football = Messi.

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #8148 on: March 18, 2019, 12:57:53 pm »
It still continues to absolutely baffle me that anyone with even the slightest interest in football would seriously say that Ronaldo is even close to being comparable to Messi.

Have people just looked at a spreadsheet and seen the number of goals both have scored? Or have they been seduced by Ronaldo's "looks" and marketability?  Because they sure as hell couldn't have watched both of them play for the 15 years and arrived at the conclusion that Ronaldo is better, or even the second GOAT.

Ronaldo has worked incredibly hard to maximize the talent he's been given, and there's no denying his incredible goal scoring exploits.  But Messi is in another stratosphere, as far as I'm concerned.  Just look at his dribbling, his passing, his free kicks, his assists, his goals.  He's arguably the best that's ever been in every single one of those categories.  Ronaldo is a great goalscorer - that's it.  Most of his freekicks, preceded by his preening trademarked stance, are either smashed into the wall or fly over the bar.

And that's not even discussing the way each of them act on the pitch. 

Offline wampa1

• Should probably leg it while he can......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8149 on: March 18, 2019, 12:59:39 pm »

Probably, but him and Messi being around at the same time is just ridiculous.

Offline MancEunuchian

• Manc
  • Main Stander
  • On the piss with Georgie Best
« Reply #8150 on: March 18, 2019, 01:50:06 pm »
Imagine being Suarez and not being the best player at the two clubs you spent most your career
How was Suarez not the best player at Liverpool during his spell there?

Offline IgorBobbins

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • BOBBINS!
« Reply #8151 on: March 18, 2019, 01:57:04 pm »
Erm......hello?

Online Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8152 on: March 18, 2019, 01:57:48 pm »
He was, by some distance, no idea how anyone could think otherwise.

Online Cu Chulainn

• "It's Peanut Butter Fascist Time!" (thinkaboutit). greedy, stupid, selfish capitalist pig who hates the poor and wants to euthanise the disabled.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8153 on: March 18, 2019, 01:59:17 pm »
It still continues to absolutely baffle me that anyone with even the slightest interest in football would seriously say that Ronaldo is even close to being comparable to Messi.
Most people know it's Messi. Those who are adamant Ronaldo is better are usually Portuguese, Madridistas, or United fans - and that goes for professional players and managers, too.

Almost everyone else knows Messi is considerably better.

Offline Barneylfc∗

• Cross-dressing man-bag wielding golfer. Wannabe Mod. Coprophiliac. Would like to buy an airline seat if he could. Known 'grass'. Wants to go home to He-Man
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8154 on: March 18, 2019, 02:13:19 pm »

Have people just looked at a spreadsheet and seen the number of goals both have scored? Or have they been seduced by Ronaldo's "looks" and marketability?  Because they sure as hell couldn't have watched both of them play for the 15 years and arrived at the conclusion that Ronaldo is better, or even the second GOAT.

Ronaldo has worked incredibly hard to maximize the talent he's been given, and there's no denying his incredible goal scoring exploits.  But Messi is in another stratosphere, as far as I'm concerned.  Just look at his dribbling, his passing, his free kicks, his assists, his goals.  He's arguably the best that's ever been in every single one of those categories.  Ronaldo is a great goalscorer - that's it.  Most of his freekicks, preceded by his preening trademarked stance, are either smashed into the wall or fly over the bar.

And that's not even discussing the way each of them act on the pitch.

It's generally just Mancs and wums that claim Ronaldo is better, or even on level par with Messi. Literally the only thing they can use in their argument is goals. You'll never see them produce any other shred of evidence to back themselves up apart from goals.
Craig Burnley V West Ham - WEST HAM WIN - INCORRECT

Offline Clayton Bigsby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8155 on: March 18, 2019, 02:28:30 pm »

Yep

I think  they might mean Gerrard in a a historical way but Suarez definy sat on the throne when he was here

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #8156 on: March 18, 2019, 02:29:22 pm »

Isn't he saying best player ever at those clubs? Otherwise that makes no sense.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline sinnermichael

• I copy other people's photoshops and twitter posts and texts and pretend they're mine.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8157 on: March 18, 2019, 02:34:01 pm »
The main argument I've heard for Ronaldo is the "he's done it in different leagues" argument which is nonsense. It's like saying Alonso was better than Gerrard for the same reason. Staying in one league or at one club your whole career has no bearing on how good you are as a footballer.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #8158 on: March 18, 2019, 02:37:09 pm »
It's not just that Ronaldo has done it in different leagues, it's that he delivers on the big stage too.  He's got way more goals than Messi in CL knock-out games, way more.  Messi is the better player but Ronaldo is more likely to score the goals you need in high pressure knock-out ties.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline LFC when it suits

• Not got a fucking clue. Life is well, a bit of a long time. And that unconditional support thing can be a bit of a drag. Something better may come along. circumscribed
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #8159 on: March 18, 2019, 02:39:47 pm »
Don't forget he "only" won 2 la liga titles in 9 yrs, but madrid won more titles in the 9 yrs before he joined

League titles are secondary to the CL. CL is the biggest trophy in the game.

When one player continuously carries his team to the biggest trophy in football and performs on the biggest stage, then that is how it works. Otherwise, anyone could just say Ronaldinho was better than Messi as he was easier on the eye.