Author Topic: Lionel Messi  (Read 923004 times)

Offline SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Lionel Messi
« Reply #7920 on: March 16, 2018, 08:17:42 am »
Think that underrates that 2008 Man Utd team a lot.

Me too. Tevez, Van De Saar, Vidic, Ferdinand, even Rooney Carrick and Berbatov, they were an annoyingly good team.
get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline Sir Psycho Sexy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7921 on: March 16, 2018, 08:34:29 am »
You say this, but Ronaldo has actually proven he can carry another team to the highest level of club football while Messi hasn't. Both incredible players and considering the difference in natural ability, it shouldn't even be close but it is.
How could Messi carry any of the Barca sides he's been in? They've all been too good. He's carried Argentina a lot.
I would honestly let Wijnaldum jizz in my face right now

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7922 on: March 16, 2018, 09:42:10 am »
You say this, but Ronaldo has actually proven he can carry another team to the highest level of club football while Messi hasn't. Both incredible players and considering the difference in natural ability, it shouldn't even be close but it is.

Bull fucking shit. Why would any team with any sense sell a player of Messi's ability? And it's not like Ronaldo carried some minnows to the champions league. He took one of the wealthiest clubs in the world with a great manager on the back of 20 years of stability and success to the title.

It's not close and I say this as one of the few that though Ronaldo was incredible long before he moved to Real and it became more acceptable to say that. Ronaldo is a phenomenal player but he's not as good or even close to Messi. I think there is a fair distance between the two and a chasm between the two and everyone else apart from Suarez and a few years ago, Iniesta.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline owens_2k

• Bagged the role of third spud in the annual RAWK panto
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7923 on: March 16, 2018, 10:16:51 am »
In summary:

One scores loads of goals.

The other scores loads of goals + loads of other boss stuff.

Offline dalarr

• hästarr. Call me sensitive.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7924 on: March 16, 2018, 11:27:56 am »
Would you mind deleting this until after the draw ? 😂
Done. Can't take any chances here.

Offline Suareznumber7

• Gullible. Lost in the modern world, thinks all tweets are true.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7925 on: March 16, 2018, 12:09:17 pm »
Just got ticket for me and my lad to watch Italy v Argentina at the Etihad next Friday. Only reason I’m going is to watch this little magician and be able to sit back, relax and enjoy watching him in the flesh. As if we get Barca in the Champs League I won’t be able to enjoy his talents, as I won’t want him to get the ball

I was at the game in January at Camp Nou when Barcelona played against Alaves and Messi hit that free kick to win the game.  Was sat right in the corner he went and celebrated in.  I’ve been lucky enough to watch him play 5 times now nad I think he’s scored in 4 of those games.  What he does on the pitch is simply amazing. 

Offline FCukBarca Haw-Haw

• Anny Roader
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #7926 on: March 16, 2018, 11:57:52 pm »
It was Henry Winter of all people that alerted me to Messi. He said Man utd should go for dinho again because they have a guy called Messi so they may be willing to sale. This was when dinho was imperious. I figured this Messi must be something..

I bet, it's like Capello asking Rijkaard during the Gamper match whether they could loan Messi.  You never know with these things because he was so special at 16 that it was inconceivable he'd do this for as long as he has and at an elite level.  No one will ever be this good for as long as he has, everyone dips - not Leo

Offline RyanBabel19

• Embarrassing.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7927 on: March 17, 2018, 03:31:21 pm »
There was a period years back where he seemed to keep getting bad injuries and i thought he would never get to realise his potential

Its been an absolute joy to watch this lad grace the game, you would think after all of these years everyone would just be used to seeing him do amazing things but i still find myself stunned by some of the things he does with the ball. I used to love watching Zidane and Ronaldinho as they seemed to just play the game at their own pace no matter what but no one does it quite like Messi. He's the only player in history i feel you can watch endless videos of things he's done in the game and always spot something new

Its insane to look back at that Getafe goal and think he did that at 19 years of age. Just to put that into perspective, Ojo, Wilson and Kent are all older than that now. I don't think in my lifetime we'll see another player close to the level of Messi

Online rob1966

• YORKIE bar-munching, hedgehog-squashing (well-)articulated road-hog-litter-bug. Sleeping With The Enemy. Has felt the wind and shed his anger..... did you know I drive a Jag? Cucking funt!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7928 on: March 17, 2018, 04:09:28 pm »
Want to take my youngest to the Nou Camp before Messi retires, he'd love to see him in the flesh. Whether he will remember when he gets older (he is 7) is a different matter, as I saw Cruyff at Anfield, when we played Barca in the UEFA in 1976 and I can't remember him.
Jurgen, you made us laugh, you made us cry, you made Liverpool a bastion of invincibilty, now leave us on a high - YNWA

Offline Xxavi

• Qatari Minister Of Information
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7929 on: March 29, 2018, 01:30:50 am »
Messi gets a lot of criticism for Argentina's misfortunes in big tournaments. The reality is that without him, they probably wouldn't have even qualified for the world cup. A crazy thought. They were diabolical without him before he made a come back. And even after he came back, they are trash whenever he doesn't play for them. Nigeria beat them 4-2, now Spain 6-1. Yet, people blame Messi every time they fail.

This is why I say that even the greatest player in the history won't save a team, if the said team is really not a team but a collection of misfit individuals. I wrote here before during the Maradona vs Messi debate that if Maradona's 86 team was shipping 4-6 goals a match, they wouldn't have won anything either. Maradona cannot play both in attack, in midfield, defense and goal. Same applies to Messi. His team of the past 8 years could easily ship 3+ goals during all this time. They had some clown defenders and goalies. And since Riquelme, they didn't have a proper midfielder either.

Then all these people bring up Messi's scoring stats to "prove" he is crap for Argies and that is why they are failing. That's just BS. Even when Messi plays for them, he essentially has been a midfielder for them, has to drop all the way down to his half to pick up the ball and carry it to attack. If you look at his stats as that of a midfielder, it is still great for such a dysfunctional team.

Offline didi shamone

• Too old for fighting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7930 on: March 29, 2018, 04:21:47 am »

Bit difficult when he's only ever played for one club. And Ronnie never carried united. They were 5 points worse off the following season despite him and Tevez leaving. It took a pretty strong squad to take that double hit.

Just for an exercise imagine United had made what would have seemed an insane move and bought Messi to replace those two for 200million. We'd be living in a strange and terrifying future.....

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7931 on: March 29, 2018, 05:30:37 am »
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline FCukBarca Haw-Haw

• Anny Roader
« Reply #7932 on: March 29, 2018, 08:47:27 am »
There was a period years back where he seemed to keep getting bad injuries and i thought he would never get to realise his potential

Its been an absolute joy to watch this lad grace the game, you would think after all of these years everyone would just be used to seeing him do amazing things but i still find myself stunned by some of the things he does with the ball. I used to love watching Zidane and Ronaldinho as they seemed to just play the game at their own pace no matter what but no one does it quite like Messi. He's the only player in history i feel you can watch endless videos of things he's done in the game and always spot something new

Its insane to look back at that Getafe goal and think he did that at 19 years of age. Just to put that into perspective, Ojo, Wilson and Kent are all older than that now. I don't think in my lifetime we'll see another player close to the level of Messi

Same for me

Offline J_Kopite

• Is he or isn't she? Cougar toy.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7933 on: March 29, 2018, 10:00:36 am »

You know you're getting older when you remember buying this magazine in the shop as a teenager.

Offline Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #7934 on: March 29, 2018, 10:48:01 am »

Thinking how well we've done in our current away strip, it would appear that Jimmy Hill was certainly on to something!
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline Ravishing Rick Dude

• Cut the music! Missed the 'Saka is shite!' memo.
  • No new LFC topics
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7935 on: March 29, 2018, 02:24:29 pm »
Messi gets a lot of criticism for Argentina's misfortunes in big tournaments. The reality is that without him, they probably wouldn't have even qualified for the world cup. A crazy thought. They were diabolical without him before he made a come back. And even after he came back, they are trash whenever he doesn't play for them. Nigeria beat them 4-2, now Spain 6-1. Yet, people blame Messi every time they fail.

This is why I say that even the greatest player in the history won't save a team, if the said team is really not a team but a collection of misfit individuals. I wrote here before during the Maradona vs Messi debate that if Maradona's 86 team was shipping 4-6 goals a match, they wouldn't have won anything either. Maradona cannot play both in attack, in midfield, defense and goal. Same applies to Messi. His team of the past 8 years could easily ship 3+ goals during all this time. They had some clown defenders and goalies. And since Riquelme, they didn't have a proper midfielder either.

Then all these people bring up Messi's scoring stats to "prove" he is crap for Argies and that is why they are failing. That's just BS. Even when Messi plays for them, he essentially has been a midfielder for them, has to drop all the way down to his half to pick up the ball and carry it to attack. If you look at his stats as that of a midfielder, it is still great for such a dysfunctional team.

He's crap for Argentina, but that doesn't mean anything. Gerrard,Lampard,Terry etc, they all were crap for England. I guess some players are just "monogamist" when it comes to changing teams.
Rick for the rikes, prick for the pricks

SLAVA
UKRAINI

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #7936 on: March 29, 2018, 02:30:24 pm »
He's crap for Argentina, but that doesn't mean anything. Gerrard,Lampard,Terry etc, they all were crap for England. I guess some players are just "monogamist" when it comes to changing teams.

Gerrard ''crap'' for England?  He might not have single-handedly led them to a final but saying he was crap is a bit much. Think he's the fourth most capped player in their history and scored
over 20 goals at international level.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Offline Corkboy

• Sworn enemy of Bottlegirl. The Boston Toilet Mangler. Grauniad of the Cidatel. Into kinky S&M with the Lash.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
  • Is it getting better?
« Reply #7937 on: March 29, 2018, 02:32:41 pm »
He's crap for Argentina,

123 appearances, 61 goals. "Crap".

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7938 on: March 29, 2018, 02:52:09 pm »
You need to update your definition of "crap". Argentina played in 3 major tournament finals with Messi. Without Messi, in the same Messi era, they looked terrible.

This is besides his scoring stats etc. Results have been fairly good for Messi's Argentina actually. It's not like Argentina played in many World Cup finals. If this Argentina is to make to World Cup 1/2 finals, it will have to be mostly due to Messi's inhuman efforts. They are an average team.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7939 on: March 29, 2018, 04:47:23 pm »
123 appearances, 61 goals. "Crap".

42 appearances, 22 goals. "Crouch"
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline deFacto please, you bastards

• Apologies if I haven't responded to every post in every thread yet, I'm trying hard. farKnow.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7940 on: March 29, 2018, 05:17:14 pm »
42 appearances, 22 goals. "Crouch"

Messi is the reason Argentina have gotten to the finals in the World Cup and Copa America. Without him they'd be nowhere.

Online RedSince86

• I blame Chris de Burgh
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7941 on: March 29, 2018, 05:47:00 pm »
Argentina defence is a joke.

Even when they had those Argentina teams in the 90's up till the mid 00's they always had great defenders with most of them plying their trade in Serie A,looking back not only have they always produced great attacking  players they also produced brilliant defenders to rival Italy the last 30 years.

Otamendi Rojas and the others are just utter gash.

The Messi  generation of this Argentina has always been skewed top heavy with an array of attacking talent,have they just stopped developing defenders in Argentina.

Sensini Zanetti Ayala Samuel were just awesome defenders back in their pomp before the Messi generation.
"Since its purchase by the sheikh of Abu Dhabi, Manchester City has managed to cheat its way into the top echelon of European football and create a global, immensely profitable football empire, ignoring rules along the way. The club's newfound glory is rooted in lies."

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7942 on: March 29, 2018, 05:50:34 pm »
Why is everyone making out Argentina is some sort of football backwater that Messi is having to carry?

In his era they've had Aguero, Di Maria, Mascherano, Tevez, Sorin, Samuel, Zabaleta, Heinze, Veron, Maxi, Cambiasso, Ayala, Aimar, Riquelme. I'm not even going to include Higuain in that because I know a lot of you like to make out he's the Argentine Welbeck, even though he's actually pretty damn good.

No other team in world football with the exception of Spain (and possibly Germany) has been that talented, not ever Brazil, in that period.

The way some of you are carrying on it's like he's carrying Belize or something ;D

Offline Samie

• The next Pharaoh of Egypt. The Ev of drafting! Rumoured to be the 7th, we may need that old magic back! The Timekeeper, ask him what time the action starts.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7943 on: March 29, 2018, 05:55:49 pm »
To be fair it's only our good friend Xxavi dong that.  ;D

Offline mikey_LFC

• Legacy Fan
  • At the End of a Storm there's a Golden Sky.
« Reply #7944 on: March 29, 2018, 06:04:15 pm »
Why is everyone making out Argentina is some sort of football backwater that Messi is having to carry?

In his era they've had Aguero, Di Maria, Mascherano, Tevez, Sorin, Samuel, Zabaleta, Heinze, Veron, Maxi, Cambiasso, Ayala, Aimar, Riquelme. I'm not even going to include Higuain in that because I know a lot of you like to make out he's the Argentine Welbeck, even though he's actually pretty damn good.

No other team in world football with the exception of Spain (and possibly Germany) has been that talented, not ever Brazil, in that period.

The way some of you are carrying on it's like he's carrying Belize or something ;D

In World Cup years when Messi was of any real age the majority of those players were retired. Realistically in the world cups he has played in, Argentina have had some very good attacking players but they’ce been a completely unbalanced side.

They’ve not been close to the best sides for the best part of a decade, yet have got to the finalfinals of tournaments and would have won some if not for some massive missed opportunities - hence the criticism of Higuain.
"A lot of football success is in the mind. You must believe you are the best and then make sure that you are." - Bill Shankly

Offline Xabi Gerrard

• WHERE IS MY VOTE?
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7945 on: March 29, 2018, 06:17:08 pm »
In World Cup years when Messi was of any real age the majority of those players were retired. Realistically in the world cups he has played in, Argentina have had some very good attacking players but they’ce been a completely unbalanced side.

They’ve not been close to the best sides for the best part of a decade, yet have got to the finalfinals of tournaments and would have won some if not for some massive missed opportunities - hence the criticism of Higuain.

Yeah fair enough about '06 not being the Messi era, he was bit part back then. But the majority of players I mentioned were either in 2010 or 2014 (or both).

I do think the downplaying of how good Argentina's players are though a bit ridiculous. Take this weeks 6-1 loss to Spain - the usual nutcases are saying it's all because Messi was missing, but they forget to mention Aguero, Di Maria and Dybala also missing. Take those 4 out of any team and they'll suffer immensely.

Messi's not carrying dross.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7946 on: March 29, 2018, 07:03:36 pm »
Messi is the reason Argentina have gotten to the finals in the World Cup and Copa America. Without him they'd be nowhere.

Oh I'm not anti-Messi in anyway, I just thought it was a good reply haha

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Xxavi

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7947 on: March 29, 2018, 08:34:55 pm »

First and foremost, they lacked team in all these years. These names all look good on paper, but they never made a team.

But even then, you are naming some of the players who were way past their best during Messi's peak. The likes of Ayala, Riquelme etc. A grand total of what, 1 year overlap in 2006? Most others are attackers.

Online elkun

• Kopite
« Reply #7948 on: April 1, 2018, 12:04:48 am »

Watching this cover actually reminded me of an 18 year old Messi vs Chelsea at stamford bridge. After that match i actually believed he would be the next Maradona. Never did i actually believe that he would become better then Maradona.

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #7949 on: April 29, 2018, 10:49:58 pm »

Another hat-trick for Messi tonight, this time away vs Deportivo...

1st goal on 38 mins - https://a.pomfe.co/yporqm.mp4
2nd goal on 82 mins - https://streamable.com/mrpdm & https://streamja.com/4dg6 - a sublime 1-2 with Suarez in the box which took out 6 Deportivo players
3rd goal on 86 mins - https://streamja.com/l2BZ

'Lionel Messi has reached 550 goals for Barcelona (in 634th appearance) with his 41st hat-trick for the club' - https://twitter.com/SkySportsStatto/status/990690478915047426

'7 - Lionel Messi is the first player in La Liga history to score 30+ goals in seven different seasons. Stellar.' - https://twitter.com/OptaJose/status/990674087231082497

« Last Edit: April 29, 2018, 10:52:27 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7950 on: April 29, 2018, 11:43:49 pm »

Offline JLStretton

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7951 on: April 30, 2018, 01:17:54 am »
He is shit tho....................................................
choose Life.

Offline QR350

• Definitely NOT one of the "irregulars".....RAWK Queen: spends a lot of time on the throne!
  • Kopite
« Reply #7952 on: April 30, 2018, 08:35:21 am »
*insert joke about wet Tuesday night in Stoke here*

Offline Ciara (with a capital "C")

• Not fussed on Krispy Kremes
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Taylor Swift is fucking awesome. #FreeAdnan
« Reply #7953 on: April 30, 2018, 10:58:15 am »

Offline oojason

• The Official RAWK Audio Visual God. Founder Member of the Ricky Gervais' 'David Brad Fan Club'.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • The Awkward Squad
« Reply #7954 on: May 13, 2018, 04:59:48 pm »

With Salah's league season over, Messi wins his 5th European Golden Boot (with 2 la liga games left):-

https://www.transfermarkt.com/statistik/goldenerschuh (unless Immobile or Cavani bang in 5/6+ goals with their 1 game left)

Next season though, Messi, next season...
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 05:01:40 pm by oojason »
Some 'Useful Info' for following the football + TV, Streams, Highlights & Replays etc - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769

A mini-index of RAWK's 'Liverpool Audio / Video Thread' content over the years; & more - www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=345769.msg17787576#msg17787576

Offline pinky

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7955 on: May 13, 2018, 08:09:59 pm »
Incredible

https://twitter.com/INFOSMESSl/status/990696936356401152?s=19

Messi is competing with:
 ⚽️ Mohamed Salah on GOALS..
🏹 Kevin de Bruyne on ASSISTS..
⚡️ Neymar on DRIBBLES..
 🧠 Özil on CHANCES CREATED..
🚀 Dybala on FREEKICKS..

And Harry Houdini on DISAPPEARING in European games away from home..

Keep on the good work, Leo.

Offline sms1986

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #7956 on: May 13, 2018, 08:11:56 pm »
Ah yes, the Argentine Salah. ;D

Offline Vinay

• West Coast privileges revoked due to jinxing activity. Considerably more greedier than yaow!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Ceux qui écrivent clairement ont des lecteurs.....
« Reply #7957 on: May 14, 2018, 09:35:04 am »
I got a glimpse of what it will be like for Barca without Messi last night.

Offline puroresu_kid

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #7958 on: May 14, 2018, 10:14:16 am »
I got a glimpse of what it will be like for Barca without Messi last night.

Forget Messi. The defenders that started were all over the shop.

Offline JayNY

• DoeY
  • Main Stander
« Reply #7959 on: June 26, 2018, 10:09:22 pm »
That goal tonight was pure filth