Author Topic: Jonjo Shelvey  (Read 81607 times)

Offline Sangria

• In trying to be right ends up wrong without fail
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Reds confirm Shelvey sale to Swansea City
« Reply #200 on: July 3, 2013, 08:47:34 pm »
Tad harsh.

Not really. Even Adam had his good points and usefulness in certain set ups. I said a while back that Shelvey could do everything that Adam could, but was younger and had the chance to develop further. He doesn't seem to have developed well since then, but he can still do everything that Adam could, and he's still at the beginning of his career. Funnily, I also described Shelvey as a younger Gerrard minus the physical qualities and the experience, and in a limited context. Despite his age, Gerrard has developed well since then, while the younger player hasn't. I reckon Shelvey could have improved more if we didn't buy Adam but used him instead in that role.
"i just dont think (Lucas is) that type of player that Kenny wants"
Vidocq, 20 January 2011

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=267148.msg8032258#msg8032258

Offline macca888

• Macca the Militant Illiterate Gnok. Chief Football Hack aka macca888. Jacqui Smith and Anne Widdecombe, in any order. Or together. He's not fussy. Overdue with Crosby Nick. Recently elevated to status Sir Precious C*nt.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #201 on: July 3, 2013, 08:50:14 pm »
Can't say i'm massively impressed with this window so far, the players we've brought in, huge gamble's, unproven, (Toure, surely only a squad player?) and i think we've let a decent young, hungry midfielder go, it could be made good if Suarez stays and we sign another couple of real stars, if that doesn't happen then i fear another season in the wilderness, all if's and buts and i'm not a football manager obviously but surely other people must feel slightly concerned with things so far?

Macca resplendent!
A colossus bestriding the
moral high ground as ever.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Well red.Tom Jones Lover. AKA Debbie McGee. Apparently.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Under 7s Coaching Manual Owner.
« Reply #202 on: July 3, 2013, 08:51:36 pm »
The general opinion seems to be that we have bought a good player, who, with a little more maturity and good coaching, could become a great player. The consensus here is one of anticipation and excitement. We feel Jon will be a great addition to our team/squad. Look out for his 25 yard screamer against Man U first game of the season! :)

He'll do well for you. And he'll be committed to Swansea too. The game against Cardiff should make him a fan favourite if he plays.
Better looking than Samie.

Online the 92A

• Alberto Incontidor. Peneus. Phantom Thread Locker. Mr Bus. But there'll be another one along soon enough. Almost as bad as Jim...
  • RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #203 on: July 3, 2013, 08:56:45 pm »
Wish the lad all the best and his classy words are nice, he gave his best so no complaints from me but think it's good business. I know he's young and can improve but I just feel he's lacks a touch and the yard in his head to make it at the top level but always gave 100% and will always be welcomed back here with his good attitude. Good Luck to the fella.
Still Dreaming of a Harry Quinn

Offline Litmanen10

• Kopite
  • Genious
« Reply #204 on: July 3, 2013, 09:02:58 pm »
Who is more likely to be playing Champions League football within the next few years - Coutinho, or Shelvey?

Coutinho probably. Doesn't mean I didn't like Jonjos style of play.
Jesus saves...But GOD scores from the rebound!!

Offline Red Eyed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #205 on: July 3, 2013, 09:03:14 pm »
A year ago I thought he had the talent to be the next Gerrard, his performances were disappointing last season but then again he is still only 21. If I was a Swansea fan i'd be happy about this.

Good luck Jonjo.
"Just try, if we can do it, wonderful and if not, then fail in the most beautiful way"

Offline Fordy

• Κασσάνδρα. ITK (rubs bridge of nose knowingly)
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #206 on: July 3, 2013, 09:05:32 pm »
Good luck

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #207 on: July 3, 2013, 09:07:57 pm »
Wish the lad all the best and his classy words are nice, he gave his best so no complaints from me but think it's good business. I know he's young and can improve but I just feel he's lacks a touch and the yard in his head to make it at the top level but always gave 100% and will always be welcomed back here with his good attitude. Good Luck to the fella.

I actually think he was good enough. But utterly bonkers. If he played for a club like Manchester United in future then he could become the next "Paul Scholes" because he'll get away with his mental tackles nowhere else but there in English football.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline Tony19:6

• Begets John 3:16
  • Legacy Fan
  • Born and Bred
« Reply #208 on: July 3, 2013, 09:08:08 pm »
I don't think he improved in the way in which BR imagined he would, hence the sale.

He watches the lad week in week out in training and all that, so is in the best position to judge.

Good luck at the Swans Jonjo

A Great man once said...
"Football is a simple game based on the giving and taking of passes, of controlling the ball and of making yourself available to receive a pass.
It is terribly simple."

http://twitter.com/Tony19_6

Offline planet-terror

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #209 on: July 3, 2013, 09:10:11 pm »
Good luck Jonjo..Youll do well at Swansea,,
bollocks

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #210 on: July 3, 2013, 09:11:31 pm »
Coutinho probably. Doesn't mean I didn't like Jonjos style of play.

I think we all liked his style of play. He played with a lot of heart. But my comment was more about your "I think it's a mistake" sentiment. It's only a mistake if he goes on to better things than the players in front of him, and the club as a whole. And I don't think that's likely.

Offline Andy @ Allerton!

• Missing an asterisk - no, wait sorry, that's his rusty starfish..... RAWK Apple fanboy. Hedley Lamarr's bestest mate. Has done nothing incredible ever.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Asterisks baby!
« Reply #211 on: July 3, 2013, 09:12:51 pm »
I don't think he improved in the way in which BR imagined he would, hence the sale.

He watches the lad week in week out in training and all that, so is in the best position to judge.

Good luck at the Swans Jonjo

Not sure about that. I've heard of plenty of players in LFCs and football history that were utter, total, abject shite in training then were world class on matchdays. And the other way around as well.
Quote from: tubby on Today at 12:45:53 pm

They both went in high, that's factually correct, both tried to play the ball at height.  Doku with his foot, Mac Allister with his chest.

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
« Reply #212 on: July 3, 2013, 09:23:03 pm »
The best move for both parties. Swansea will be getting someone who will likely be a PL standard player for the next decade. He needs to be more focused in his application in order to move onto the next level in his progression. He hasn't done that here and long-term he likely doesn't fit the team's intended style of play. Playing under Laudrup will be an interesting experience for him and he'll probably have a chip on his shoulder to prove us wrong.

Online SamAteTheRedAcid

• Currently facing issues around potty training. All help appreciated.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #213 on: July 3, 2013, 10:11:13 pm »
Not sure about that. I've heard of plenty of players in LFCs and football history that were utter, total, abject shite in training then were world class on matchdays. And the other way around as well.

Regardless of that, Rodgers is still in the best position to judge, as manager who sees both, and no doubt analyses both too.

Good luck Jonjo, I liked you but I have to say I had an argument with my mate just after he'd signed, on whether he'd make it at Liverpool, he said 'too slow, never will make it', I argued against it, and I know he'll bring it up tomorrow. And he was right. Hope you go on to have a solid career and stay injury free.

get thee to the library before the c*nts close it down

we are a bunch of twats commenting on a website.

Offline fewmin' bedwetter

• Would appear to have great expectations......
  • Kopite
« Reply #214 on: July 3, 2013, 10:14:49 pm »
I think the lad suffered by Brendan thinking he was a Number 10 -
I never thought he was, I think he's a good, old-fashioned centre mid.
Will be interesting to see where Laudrup plays him.
Good luck Jonjo - hope you rip it up down there.

PS And for the record, unlike a lot on here, I for one do not think there is anything wrong with his touch, his eyesight, his walking style or his athleticism!
« Last Edit: July 3, 2013, 10:18:33 pm by pumblechookian »
NEVER starts a sentence with, "So..."

Offline CharlieAdamsLeftFoot

• has gone to Stoke with his right foot.
  • Legacy Fan
  • What you achieve in life, echoes an eternity.
« Reply #215 on: July 3, 2013, 10:20:57 pm »
Very content to see him go, the funds will be more than useful. Just don't feel he did himself justice when he got the chance. There is no doubt in my mind he will become a very consistent PL performer in the future. At times last season seemed to be just 'going through the motions'. He got hammered for the boxing day Stoke game, and it seemed to all go down hill from there. Swansea is a good fit for him, he should see plenty of game time and plenty of the ball.

Good luck Jonjo.
Above all, I would like to be remembered as a man who was selfless,
who strove and worried so that others could share the glory,
and who built up a family of people who could hold their heads up high and say

'We're Liverpool'

Offline edeyj

• Legacy Fan
  • 1-2,1-2-3,1-2-3-4...5-0
« Reply #216 on: July 3, 2013, 10:28:53 pm »
Seem to remember on "Being Liverpool" BR told Jonjo he would be in his team for the next 10 years (or something like that). Obviously changed his mind on that one!

I liked the lad's enthusiasm but I think he lacks the skill to be worth a place in what we hope will be the reincarnation of a league winning squad. Good luck to him though and respect for the way he has handled himself during this transfer process. Oh....and he gave "big mouth" Ferguson some of his own medicine....class.

Offline Marty 85

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #217 on: July 3, 2013, 10:36:21 pm »
Seem to remember on "Being Liverpool" BR told Jonjo he would be in his team for the next 10 years (or something like that). Obviously changed his mind on that one!

I liked the lad's enthusiasm but I think he lacks the skill to be worth a place in what we hope will be the reincarnation of a league winning squad. Good luck to him though and respect for the way he has handled himself during this transfer process. Oh....and he gave "big mouth" Ferguson some of his own medicine....class.

There was alot more excitement around his development in the fans eyes at that time and Rodgers obviously knew this. Hence the comment. That excitement has probably faded abit in the past 12 months and Rodgers felt he was disposable after all, unfortunately. I'm sad to see him go. He has the desire, commitment and talent to go far but sometimes you need to take a step back to progress. No offence to Swansea but I expect he'll move on to a bigger club in a few years.

Good luck Jonjo!
« Last Edit: July 3, 2013, 10:41:42 pm by Marty 85 »

Online John C

• RAWK Staff
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #218 on: July 3, 2013, 10:44:04 pm »

It was more like he intended playing him as a number 10. It was all simply words at an early stage of getting to know his squad and their long term worth to him.

He's made the right decision imo, but his next CM acquisition will be critical to us having the ability to take a leap.

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #219 on: July 3, 2013, 10:58:18 pm »
I'm a bit disappointed to be honest. I'm sure he will turn into a decent player down there, he wouldn't have got the opportunity to develop here so can't complain too much.

Offline EstonianRed

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • oooooh Campione, the one and only
« Reply #220 on: July 3, 2013, 11:05:02 pm »
Bye bye Jonjo, no more Shelvey song :(

Offline exiledintheUSA

• Not to be confused with Darren from Thetford. Or Phil Dowd.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Justice HAS come. YNWA 97
« Reply #221 on: July 3, 2013, 11:05:10 pm »
Who is more likely to be playing Champions League football within the next few years - Coutinho, or Shelvey?

Depends who we are selling Coutinho to.

:D
Been all over the world but Anfield is still my home.

Offline Tom_B

• Suffering from Keyboard Diarrhea? Rawkite most likely to take his ball home in a huff #1
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #222 on: July 3, 2013, 11:07:06 pm »
Wish him well but just didn't think he was ever going to make it here so it is best for all parties.
We're on our way to glory...

Offline redprodigal

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • I miss you Digger, even more than Peter Thommo
« Reply #223 on: July 3, 2013, 11:09:24 pm »
Wish him well but just didn't think he was ever going to make it here so it is best for all parties.

Agree. Good luck Jonjo and thanks but we need better quality.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #224 on: July 3, 2013, 11:10:31 pm »

:D :D

It speaks to a wider point though. We put Shelvey on the market, Swansea come in for him. If we put Coutinho in the market, what clubs would be looking at him? That's the indicator. Clubs at the highest level aren't looking at Shelvey or Spearing etc. They are looking at Sterling, Suso and Coutinho. And there is no shame in that, for him. He will have a very good career that he can be proud of at the end of it. But for fans on here, they need a wet slap of perspective. We haven't sold Suarez for 6 million, or Coutinho, or Lucas. He was low in the pecking order, but he was a good bloke who didn't cause any problems for us, and will live on in memory for having a go at Ferguson. We're not selling the family silver, no matter how some people want it to be the case in order to back up their initial impressions which turned out to be wrong.

Offline Semaphore

• Kopite
Reds confirm Shelvey sale to Swansea City
« Reply #225 on: July 3, 2013, 11:41:42 pm »

Well I know which one will be playing European football next season.

Offline Ozzie Red

• Main Stander
« Reply #226 on: July 3, 2013, 11:45:44 pm »
Good luck JonJo, half descent player but has had 3 years to nail a place in the team with plenty of chances that others haven't had --Pacheco? The club obviously don't think he can develop quick enough (not that he can't get there, just not quickly enough)
good business all round in my opinion :wave
I love being part of this big Red family, we are Liverpool Football club, we will win

Offline Semaphore

• Kopite
« Reply #227 on: July 3, 2013, 11:56:12 pm »
This strikes me as a "Kevin Nolan" situation.

When you're a club the size of Liverpool you have to be prepared to let very good players leave and go off in the search of world class talent.

There will be times we'll look at Shelvey and think he'd be better than X player in our squad. But is he going to be better than Coutinho in the #10 role? I doubt it.
There were times when Nolan was better than some of the midfielders in the Liverpool squad, but was he ever going to be as good as Gerrard? No chance.

So I think it's the right decision but I'm aware that in the years to come, particularly when Liverpool go through rough patches, there will be times when Jonjo will look like he could have done a job for us if he'd stayed.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #228 on: July 3, 2013, 11:57:51 pm »
Well I know which one will be playing European football next season.

Would you be willing to put money on who will be playing European football the following season?

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #229 on: July 4, 2013, 12:19:00 am »
Best of luck!

It's a necessary transfer given the signings we have made.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline Gifted Right Foot

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #230 on: July 4, 2013, 12:21:37 am »
Good luck to him.

Offline Armand9

• Legacy Fan
    • http://armand9.deviantart.com/
« Reply #231 on: July 4, 2013, 12:41:57 am »
All the best jonjo, always gave your all and i'm sure he's gonna shine for someone, could've been us maybe but understand the transfer
Losing your only chance of silverware this season to your city rival. At home. With the most expensive squad ever assembled.

Have that, you arrogant wanker. CarraG238

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #232 on: July 4, 2013, 12:47:31 am »
Good luck to Shelvey. I always thought that he might be the next Gerrard (or something close to), but it never quite happened. I still think that Jonjo can become a very good player, but not with us. A shame that he never quite got there for us.

Offline Natka

• ngCole
  • Kemlynite
« Reply #233 on: July 4, 2013, 12:58:09 am »
Always seemed to be trying too hard to prove himself this lad and never really did, I think he'll show flashes at Swansea but overall I think we've done well out of the deal, however having been robbed blind so many times ourselves it would have been nice to have mugged another few million off the taffs, mustn't be greedy though

Offline Semaphore

• Kopite
« Reply #234 on: July 4, 2013, 01:01:23 am »
Would you be willing to put money on who will be playing European football the following season?

No. Was just trying to be funny.

It's a reasonable deal in my opinion.

Offline Liverpool Kop

• RAWK Supporter
  • Anny Roader
  • Waiting no.19!
« Reply #235 on: July 4, 2013, 01:11:19 am »
I always thought he'll turn into a very good player, and I still believe so. I really hope we put a buy-back clause.

Good luck Jonjo!
You'll never walk alone.

Offline PhaseOfPlay

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #236 on: July 4, 2013, 01:15:06 am »
No. Was just trying to be funny.

It's a reasonable deal in my opinion.

Oh right, haha :D

I think it was a very fair deal all round. There was no need to make it difficult for Shelvey, and there was more chance of him playing if he moved. A good lad who deserves first team football. He won't discredit any club he plays for.

Offline Yerolo

• Kopite
« Reply #237 on: July 4, 2013, 02:50:12 am »
The day he gave Fergie an earful on the sideline he captured our hearts :)

Good luck at Swansea Jonjo....maybe one day we'll see you back playing for us later in your career. I have alot of respect for Swansea as a club and what they are achieving, im sure BR recommended you to them. Great parting words for us on Tweeter as well, at least you are leaving us on a good note unlike some other players in the past

Offline BFM

• Legacy Fan
  • Compulsive hyperbolic exaggerator
« Reply #238 on: July 4, 2013, 04:29:44 am »
good luck mate
If you are first you are first. If you are second you are nothing.

Offline Lolo

• Ex Kop STH marooned on a tropical beach observing bronzed beauties. In dire need of a decent English pint.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • non progredi est regredi
« Reply #239 on: July 4, 2013, 04:47:44 am »

That's the spirit.....can't beat some positive thinking during the closed season.   :thumbup

......but back on topic - Best of luck JonJo.
« Last Edit: July 4, 2013, 04:49:15 am by Goffry »