Author Topic: Jari Litmanen  (Read 88503 times)

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
Re: Jari Litmanen
« Reply #80 on: February 12, 2009, 07:23:52 am »
imagine a fit Litmanen behind Torres and Keane...

don't encourage the gay for nando brigade. :)

In terms of ability, no contest.

seriously, not just because he's my favourite player of all time, when he was on form and injury free, one of the most complete (i'll concede zidane, maybe that chupa chups sucking guy who took being a "complete player" to another level :P ) players ever. a combination of gerrard AND god at his peak.

one of my favourite moments was his scissor kick goal AT THE EDGE of the box (i'm not sure if it was witschge or wouter who crossed and if it was against nac or roda), as well as his pass from his own half to paddy kluivert at barca (i still remember the commentator going wild as it was a "precise as a laser..."). as much as i love god and gerro, neither can do both. :)
Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

Offline MaschHead

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #81 on: February 12, 2009, 09:32:41 am »
He even played on the nr.4 position at Ajax from time to time (defensive midfielder basically) and was great there as well :)

Online Adeemo

• surreally arsed
  • Legacy Fan
  • A.W.E.S.O.M.-O
« Reply #82 on: February 12, 2009, 11:11:09 pm »
I really don't like to think of Jari too much, gets me way too angry thinking what could've been. Ged made some right old fuck ups.
"I love the Pope, I love seeing him in his Pope-Mobile, his three feet of bullet proof plexi-glass. That's faith in action folks! You know he's got God on his side"

Offline fowlerisgod96

• Legacy Fan
  • The Monster Masch
« Reply #83 on: February 13, 2009, 12:07:23 am »
a combination of gerrard AND god at his peak.

Behave yourself.

Litmanen was class, very good player. Not a patch on Fowler or Gerrard.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."

Offline buchigo!

• Legacy Fan
  • okay javier but i'm only on loan... for sure no?
« Reply #84 on: February 13, 2009, 12:53:10 am »
Behave yourself.

Litmanen was class, very good player. Not a patch on Fowler or Gerrard.

your insularity is amusing.

fowler and gerrard are on my list of top five favourite players, but neither of them can hold a candle to the completeness jari brought (as i said there's zidane and johann)- to finish that well (fowler) WHILE linking up play altogether and dictating the game (what gerrard does) is something a few players were able to accomplish (cf. zidane, cruyff, diego, perhaps lionel and that gel advert because of their free roles in the game today)
Finish the job sir. Come back when we deserve you.

Offline fowlerisgod96

• Legacy Fan
  • The Monster Masch
« Reply #85 on: February 13, 2009, 12:59:50 am »
your insularity is amusing.

fowler and gerrard are on my list of top five favourite players, but neither of them can hold a candle to the completeness jari brought (as i said there's zidane and johann)- to finish that well (fowler) WHILE linking up play altogether and dictating the game (what gerrard does) is something a few players were able to accomplish (cf. zidane, cruyff, diego, perhaps lionel and that gel advert because of their free roles in the game today)

Heres the thing though. Litmanen never did finish as well as Fowler and never did dictate the game like Stevie does.

Like I say, I loved Jari. Thought him and Robbie, very briefly, were the best strikeforce we've had since Kenny and Rushie. But to put him on a par with the likes of Fowler and Gerrard, let alone Maradona and Zidane, is mad. I'd put him in the same sort of bracket as Djorkaeff or Ginola. Bit of a cult icon. But nowhere near as amazing as you seem to think.
"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.

Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us."

Online Jaska

• Hävytön mulkku - cheek shagger
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2009, 04:02:00 pm »
Quote from: BBC Live Text
1542: GOAL Wales 0-1 Finland
Jonatan Johansson slips the ball past the onrushing Wayne Hennessey to put Finland in front after breaking down the left and cutting in on goal. Disappointing on several levels. Poor defending created the opening for Johansson, with Gareth Bale caught out trying to play offside. Hennessey was slow off his line and James Collins failed to clear it off the line as he tracked back.
Litmanen put Johansson through with a delightful pass with the outside of his boot
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 04:05:57 pm by Jaska »

Offline Bangers N Masch

• Legacy Fan
  • Backing Hodgson.
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2009, 04:06:24 pm »
He's been superb today. His passing is still absolutely immense. Just the weight and timing. Makes it look so easy.
'Nights like the semi-final back in 2005 live long in the memory of anyone who witnessed it, never mind me as an opposition player. That night has always stuck in my head and given me the desire to one day play in a red shirt and help the club return to its former glory days.'

Muted for 12 days for calling Rafa fat.

Offline Crouchy

• Legacy Fan
  • Vamos!
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2009, 04:23:00 pm »
His passing ability is awesome, how many times has he cut open the Welsh defence?

Offline Gus 1855

• GusMcLean is a direct descendent of wee Jimmy the Jock McSporran, son of Ally McLeod, voted best Flower of Scotland performer 2003. Changed name in hope of attracting Bridesmaid but he's still Scottish as a Glaswegian deep fried Haggis
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2009, 04:28:11 pm »
Why oh why couldn't Houllier have got the best out of him? Very sad!
It looks to me as if we have signed another 'average' player. I'll hold back my complete opinion until I see the lad play

Offline StuH

• Legacy Fan
  • Dalglish's marching army!
« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2009, 04:30:47 pm »
Letting him go was one of Houllier's biggest mistakes.  Imagine, even now, he could come on for one of those games where we are struggling at home for twenty minutes and break the opposition down.
He's a manipulative bastard. Another deliberate attempt to put pressure on people in the game, which he thinks he'll get away with because of his "standing" in the game and his fucking knighthood.

Offline tonypaj

• Anny Roader
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2009, 04:38:28 pm »
Heres the thing though. Litmanen never did finish as well as Fowler and never did dictate the game like Stevie does.

Like I say, I loved Jari. Thought him and Robbie, very briefly, were the best strikeforce we've had since Kenny and Rushie. But to put him on a par with the likes of Fowler and Gerrard, let alone Maradona and Zidane, is mad. I'd put him in the same sort of bracket as Djorkaeff or Ginola. Bit of a cult icon. But nowhere near as amazing as you seem to think.

Litmanen was the man in Van Gaal's Ajax team in mid 90s, winning the Champions League, being the top scorer the following year, again being in the final.  He is way above the Ginolas of this world, no cult hero, but one of the greats in Ajax's history, alongside with Cruyff and Van Basten.  His best years were with Ajax, after that in Barcelona and Liverpool he was unfortunately injured way too much.  Comparing to Fowler or Gerrard is pointless, however I'd take Litmanen at his peak over either one of them.   And even now, at 38, he dominates against the Welsh...

Offline thredworm

• Makes mods cry.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Stop ze cock jokes!"
  • Super Title: Might be a bit thick if trying to agitate mods.
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2009, 04:43:13 pm »
Absolutely imperious today.
"We were looking for them to suffer from the very first minute, and they have suffered until the 90th minute."
Rafa Benitez on Real Madrid, 10th March 2009. Liverpool 4 - 0 Real Madrid

Offline Dudek savessssss.........!

• Kopite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop Forum
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2009, 04:46:29 pm »
Daniel Sjolund on now for Finland. A blast from the past!!! Still only 25 years old :o
There was a two-minute interlude where Liverpool’s three-man attack squared up against United’s three-man defence and basically stalked them back into their own penalty area, like battle-hardened mountain wolves closing in on a flock of geriatric sheep.  Barney Ronay at Anfield @barneyronay Sun 19 Jan 2020 20.36 GMT

Online Jaska

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2009, 04:55:04 pm »
Wales 0-2 Finland. Brilliant!

Offline rowan_d

• boat. Señor Paolo de Souza-Farquharson :)
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2009, 04:57:13 pm »
Thoughts on Bellamy, Jaska?

Offline Phil M

• YNWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bravery is believing in yourself" Rafael Benitez
    • I coulda been a contenda.....
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2009, 04:59:49 pm »
Wales 0-2 Finland. Brilliant!

Well done mate, your manager is doing a good job, uses Litmanen perfectly
to get the best out of your strikers and a solid organised defence marshalled
by Sami.
It's true to say that if Shankly had told us to invade Poland we'd be queuing up 10 deep all the way from Anfield to the Pier Head.

Online Hazell

• Ultimate Movie Night Draft Winner 2017. King - or Queen - of Mystery. Hyzenthlay. The 5th Benitle's sex conch.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2009, 05:04:28 pm »
Absolutely imperious today.

Boss performance. Still a joy to watch hime play at 38 years of age
We have to change from doubter to believer. Now.

Offline barnseysbarmyarmy

• Kopite
  • You know nothing John Snow (except current affairs
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2009, 05:18:19 pm »
Great result for the Finns today, I dont really have a nationality as such, having moved here threre and everywhere but being a Finn by birth I'd love to see Finland in a major tournament at last...Might be a big ask this year with Germany and Russia, but you never know...And this Baxter fella seems to know what he's doing.

Offline The Jackal

• GENESIS 1:1
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Form is temporary, class is permanent...
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2009, 05:39:37 pm »
the 2 best players on the pitch today - Jari and Sami - probably the 2 oldest on the pitch. Says it all really - class never ages..

Thought Bellamy was typically graceless in his post match comments..
Blanco y en botella. Es leche, no?

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2009, 05:58:58 pm »
Sami was imperious today, he snuffed everything out with ease. Jari was superb also, but what else is he going to be when Toshack and Wales have given him all the space in the world to work his magic?

Offline Paavo

• Main Stander
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2009, 06:33:19 pm »
Fuck me, Jari was absolutely amazing today. He moves like an amputated turtle, but his class can never be questioned.

His eye for a pass is joy to behold.

Sami was dominant as ever, also.

Bellamy can go fuck himself with his post-game comments.
They speak of my drinking, but never think of my thirst.  ~Scottish Proverb

Offline Welshred

• CBE. To be fair to him, he is a massive twat. Professional Ladies' Arse Fondler. Possibly......we're not sure any more......
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2009, 06:37:59 pm »
What did Bellamy say after?

Offline Paavo

• Main Stander

Offline King Tay

• Kopite
  • F**k Off Lampard!!!
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2009, 06:40:43 pm »
Signed Litmanen on my birthday, to give an idea of how good he could have been for us was the FA cup 6th round i think against Man City in the treble year, he went off at half time and he made Heskey look like the best centre forward in the world in those 45 minutes. I would have loved him to play more for us

Offline Paavo

• Main Stander
« Reply #105 on: March 28, 2009, 06:42:52 pm »
I might be biased, being Finn and all, but I thought Finland played Wales of the park with Jari pulling the strings.

It could have been five, even though Finns didn't play very well in the first half.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #106 on: March 28, 2009, 06:46:04 pm »
I might be biased, being Finn and all, but I thought Finland played Wales of the park with Jari pulling the strings.

It could have been five, even though Finns didn't play very well in the first half.

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao

You sat back, defended very, very well and hit us on the counter attack a few times. To say you played us off the park is utter, utter, utter tripe!

Offline Paavo

• Main Stander
« Reply #107 on: March 28, 2009, 06:48:29 pm »

You sat back, defended very, very well and hit us on the counter attack a few times. To say you played us off the park is utter, utter, utter tripe!

Ok, maybe it was too much. :) I blame the beer.

Offline StuH

• Legacy Fan
  • Dalglish's marching army!
« Reply #108 on: March 28, 2009, 06:48:37 pm »
He's a manipulative bastard. Another deliberate attempt to put pressure on people in the game, which he thinks he'll get away with because of his "standing" in the game and his fucking knighthood.

Offline Welshred

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT96
« Reply #109 on: March 28, 2009, 06:57:41 pm »
That is fucking shocking what Bellamy said!! At least the Finnish lad scored and created a chance ya fucking useless excuse of a captain!

Offline Helsinki Red

• ★ ★ ★ ★ ★
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2009, 02:26:47 pm »
At 0:47 you can see Jari's through pass to Johansson.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay3UVLGD0aA&feature=related

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2009, 05:45:14 pm »

shut up bellamy !! :P

hehee

Offline conman

• Ohh aaaah just a little bit, Ooh aahh, a little bit more. Aerial stalker perv. Not cool enough to get the lolz.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2009, 05:46:30 pm »
At 0:47 you can see Jari's through pass to Johansson.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ay3UVLGD0aA&feature=related
what a great move... Jari has still got it, but the build up play was very precise and quick ball movement.

Online Jaska

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan

Offline mainstandred

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2009, 06:12:21 pm »
Jari Litmanen is a star have enjoyed every part of his career what a great player , loved him at liverpool but was ruined by houllier maybe he should have come to liverpool a bit earlier in his career  but a great player .

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2009, 07:59:24 pm »
Jari Litmanen is a star have enjoyed every part of his career what a great player , loved him at liverpool but was ruined by houllier maybe he should have come to liverpool a bit earlier in his career  but a great player .
i think so, he would have really excelled in the attacking Liverpool that Roy coached..
oh well, we have Rafa, end of :D

Offline LF

• C
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2009, 08:09:50 pm »

oh dear.

Ruined in what way?

He wasn't capable of being on the pitch for full 90 minutes and a shadow of his own self. You thought he was coming here first choice? I'd swear he scored like 300 goals and played 500 games by some peoples unbelievable worship of him. He did fuck all as Robbie Keane.

Houllier got some things wrong but this wasn't one of them.

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2009, 08:23:52 pm »
he plays passes that make Shefki Kuqi look quick, such is his talent.

love the guy

Offline classycarra

• The Left Disonourable Chuntering Member For Scousepool.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2009, 08:25:39 pm »
He wasn't capable of being on the pitch for full 90 minutes and a shadow of his own self. You thought he was coming here first choice? I'd swear he scored like 300 goals and played 500 games by some peoples unbelievable worship of him. He did fuck all as Robbie Keane.

Houllier got some things wrong but this wasn't one of them.

take it your irish yeah?

Offline conman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
    • Cocopoppyhead
« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2009, 08:34:53 pm »
take it your irish yeah?
why do you think that ?