Author Topic: Sempron  (Read 1612 times)

Pheeny

Sempron
« on: November 16, 2005, 08:02:18 pm »
Processors are they any good?

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
Re: Sempron
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 08:05:41 pm »

Offline anon-y-mouse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2005, 08:06:18 pm »
In all seriousness it depends on your usage. Word processing, web access etc fine. Try and play fotty manager 2006 and you'll see the slowdown.

Offline gazzalfc

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Well done boys, Good Process
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2005, 08:55:13 pm »
I've got a sempron. Its not that bad for a cheap processor. Mine will play far cry, GTA san andreas ok. Just a tweak of the settings and it'll work fine.

There is no room for overclocking these processors if you are want to get technical. But you need alot of experience to do this.

If you want performance then the new Athlon 64's are the way to go. But expect to pay out £200

Offline Acaustiq

• Statistically the biggest dick waver and has quotes to prove it. Bitter revisionist.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Finally, Danone Actimel cured him.
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2005, 09:29:33 pm »
Nowt wrong with them, very good value for the money.
When your Mum used to pick you up from school and you'd run out and be like 'Mummy I got 9/10 in the spelling test today', would she go 'phenomenal, son'.

Cos if she did she's a stupid fuck.

Pheeny

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2005, 02:32:26 pm »
I've got a sempron. Its not that bad for a cheap processor. Mine will play far cry, GTA san andreas ok. Just a tweak of the settings and it'll work fine.

There is no room for overclocking these processors if you are want to get technical. But you need alot of experience to do this.

If you want performance then the new Athlon 64's are the way to go. But expect to pay out £200
  £200 lol  AMD Athlon 64 3000+ for €185

Offline filopastry

• seldom posts but often delivers
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Let me tell you a story.........
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2005, 04:56:30 pm »
The Athlon 64's are very overclockable as well

Pheeny

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2005, 06:38:03 pm »
I know ;)

Offline lloydiethe1st

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 06:02:30 pm »

???
"Djimi gives us another dimension, we're just not sure of what that dimension is!"

"If some laboratory ever tried to invent the perfect football fan, they'd struggle to better what I've seen at Liverpool."

http://HDTV.Giveaway.co.uk/index.php?referral=204117

Pheeny

Offline wacko

• Keepsh a shecret gottle of Shcotch in hish top drawer. Cunning linguist and ical genius
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2005, 11:33:27 pm »
Processors are they any good?
If it fits in your existing motherboard, then it's a no-brainer. Yes! If it would mean buying a new board, then you should really be looking for a motherboard in which you can stick a reasonably priced processor (low-end Athlon, Sempron) right now and one that's twice as fast in two years.

It's silly to buy "fast" processors unless you really need that power. The power/price ratio is too low. As a rule of thumb, if you want a kickass machine, buy the second fastest of everything available (CPU, video card etc.). It will cost half the price of the fastest with little difference in performance. If you want the best performance for your money, look to top-end budget processors (Sempron, Celeron) or the slightly faster, lower end flagship processors (Athlon, Pentium).

Any of these processors is more than up to the job unless you're into 3D CAD or a serious gamer (where video card is much more important--and expensive--anyway). If you take care when choosing the motherboard, you should find that you can stick a low-end Athlon in today for most satisfactory performance, and then in a year and a half, you can upgrade to a faster Sempron. Both combined will cost the same as buying a fast Athlon now, but give you a slightly slower computer now and a much faster one in a year and a bit.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Offline Graeme

• Slightly Undergay RAWK PC Support
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2005, 11:39:30 pm »
On a slighty similar subject, Ebuyer are selling Acer desktop PC's with these processors in, along with an 80Gb SATA hard drive, 16x Dual Layer DVD-RW, 256MB DDR 400 RAM, 9 in 1 card reader, Windows XP Home, keyboard, mouse and speakers for £199.  Just add monitor!

Pheeny

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2005, 11:11:10 am »
basically all I use the computer for in the internet and text work.So a sempron is good enough really.