Author Topic: We go again, again.  (Read 7549 times)

Offline jooneyisdagod

• Doesn't like having pussy round the house
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: We go again, again.
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2014, 05:39:50 am »
When Luis first came here he would repeatedly try to beat as many players possible and when he finally got anywhere near goal, he would be faced with another 5 defenders between him and the goal leading him to go for something ridiculously extravagant and in the end it would peter out to nothing. Guess who changed that ? Brendan Rodgers did. He took that player and turned him into one of the most feared players in Europe. I don't need to go into the exact details of it all surely.

Daniel Sturridge was an inconsistent bench warmer at Chelsea that did a shite dance when he scored. What happened to him ? Well he was bought by Brendan Rodgers and put on the pitch and told to get some goals and how did he respond ? Well he got a bucket load of goals. How could he do that ? Well it seems Brendan knows a thing or two about coaching and made sure that Sturridge played in those channels where he could do the most damage.

Phillipe Coutinho. Staggeringly talented but near written off at the age of 19. Hanging around Inter not knowing where to go. Brendan buys him and immediately his assist and passing outputs are up there with the best players in the league. He is 22 now. Miles to go for a player of his ilk.

The similarities are simply this, three superbly talented players that were not performing anywhere near the levels their talents would allow them to were taken to those levels by Brendan Rodgers. And we've still got him. Back the man and get the best and most talented players around and he'll be improving those players as well.

We go again.
Quote from: Dion Fanning

The chants for Kenny Dalglish that were heard again on Wednesday do not necessarily mean that the fans see him as the saviour. This is not Newcastle, longing for the return of Kevin Keegan. Simply, Dalglish represents everything Hodgson is not and, in fairness, everything Hodgson could or would not hope to be.

Offline red mongoose

• Every day he's funnelling. Twisted firestarter. Just once he'd like to get something right on here. We're waiting too. Everything he does, he does it for us!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Crawl in under the shadow of this red rock
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2014, 06:18:35 am »
Do teams fear Steven Gerrard? You're damned right they do. He's got testicles the size of Jupiter's moons.
Do teams fear Raheem Sterling? If they don't, they are going to get torched.
Do teams fear wee Coutinho? They will, by God, they surely will.
Do teams hear the sound of cossack hooves at the impending approach of Le Czar, and quail? They should.
We go again. Fear ye any who stand in our way. The Reds are coming up that hill with fire in our eyes.
Behold, plastic villains, mancs and bitters, petrol gangsters and prawn-eating dandies, and despair.
We go again. Stand in our way and you will be trampled.
We go again.
At the hole where he went in
Red-Eye called to Wrinkle-Skin.
Hear what little Red-Eye saith:
"Nag, come up and dance with death!'"

Offline skivvy149

• Anny Roader
  • Believer
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2014, 06:18:41 am »
Coutinho and Sterling will be more important for us next season than Suarez would've. Both of these talented lads had great seasons, Sterling really has been used well by BR and if Coutinho could improve his shooting a little, then who knows.
Last season we were so close and with that experience, a bigger squad and more options, I'd expect another decent challenge, to me, our Manager is the most important asset we have.

Offline skivvy149

• Anny Roader
  • Believer
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2014, 06:19:44 am »
Do teams fear Steven Gerrard? You're damned right they do. He's got testicles the size of Jupiter's moons.
Do teams hear the sound of cossack hooves at the impending approach of Le Czar, and quail? They should.
We go again. Fear ye any who stand in our way. The Reds are coming up that hill with fire in our eyes.
Behold, plastic villains, mancs and bitters, petrol gangsters and prawn-eating dandies, and despair.
We go again.

And do teams fear that onslaught from the first whistle? By Christ they do!!

Offline Jamesy

• Anny Roader
  • Auld Arse
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2014, 11:24:54 am »

Players come and go but the club will always remain. In 6 years the likes of Suarez will be retired; In 60 years from now Liverpool Football Club will still be standing strong and my grandchildren will be teaching their kids about the Fields of Anfield Road and about some fella named Tommy.

We Go Again!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1NZcH2haIM
I've got your name written here in a rose tattoo.

Offline Il Capitano

• Forza Liverpool. This thing of ours...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2014, 11:37:17 am »

Offline rocco

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️6 Times Baby ⭐️⭐️⭐️
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2014, 12:12:30 pm »
Truly believe next season it will be players already at the club and not signed the window that will step up and take us up to the next level that Rodgers really wants us playing at .

I'm guessing
Sturridge
Sterling
Coutinho
Henderson
Allen
Sakho

All to step up their levels on a constant base

Offline Benitez Adoramus

• Main Stander
  • The reds are coming up the hill boys
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2014, 01:23:03 pm »
The reds are coming up the hill, boys..... Gutted Luis gone but we were never a one man team last season. So much to look forward to-pre season games starting this week, Champions League nights and trips abroad, a lifelong red to make his debut for the club he loves, young players to develop further. BRING IT ON!
One of the few singers left in the Kop

Offline StrikingMidfield

• Legacy Fan
  • A red and green heart
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2014, 08:54:48 am »
Replacing Suarez I don't think is quite the problem many think it will be. Tightening up the defense a little bit should hopefully see us concede 10-15 less, get more out of the squad players could see another 10-15 goals and if we can get 10-15 from a direct replacement on the pitch and the job is done.
This is what I've always been thinking. Some people act like we need to replace Suarez goal for goal and that simply isn't going to happen and doesn't need to happen. What needs to happen is tightining up the defense and making it so we aren't relying on outscoring opponents, sure we will hopefully run away with the occasional game but we also need to be able to hold a 1-0 for the win.
Liverpool FC - Seattle Sounders FC

Offline Mighty_Red

• Rojo Poderoso!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • All hail the King...
    • Join the fight - SOS
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2014, 10:43:15 am »
This is what I've always been thinking. Some people act like we need to replace Suarez goal for goal and that simply isn't going to happen and doesn't need to happen. What needs to happen is tightining up the defense and making it so we aren't relying on outscoring opponents, sure we will hopefully run away with the occasional game but we also need to be able to hold a 1-0 for the win.

Exactly, I remember something PoP wrote a few months ago about how things will go next season and that we would score less goals and also concede less. 2-0 would be the typical scoreline.

Consider that vision more likely now that Suarez is gone - we will be less devastating but also a little more solid. That may just help us to sneaking a few more wins.
Some clubs were always destined for greatness...

Offline Brissyred

• RAWK's Great Uncle Google......
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #50 on: July 15, 2014, 07:24:13 am »
Hunt 69, Keegan 77, Rush 87, Fowler 2001, Owen 2004, Torres 2011, erm....

They were supposedly "irreplaceable"?

"We go again" indeed..

Keegan and Rush were from a different era, Fowler and Owen came up from the youth ranks so I wouldn't consider those players comparable.
On the other hand both Torres and Suarez were good when we bought them, but we made them great. No reason to think we can't do that again with any new signings, and who's to say the likes of Sterling wont become as good as Owen was for us?
Looking forward to next season, no point worrying about someone that no longer wants to play for us.

Offline keyo

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #51 on: July 15, 2014, 07:51:08 am »
Hunt 69, Keegan 77, Rush 87, Fowler 2001, Owen 2004, Torres 2011, erm....

They were supposedly "irreplaceable"?

"We go again" indeed..

interesting when you look at the impacts of each leaving

hunt, fowler and torres all went out playing only partially in their last season, and not contributing significantly as a result

hunt was on the wane, as was the team as it lay in 5th in his final season, only improving a couple of seasons later

fowler had been supplanted by owen by the time he left, and contributed little in his final half season, although he did contribute his last full season....and we were I mproving in league position as he left and continued to improve

owen does not appear to have been missed at all, as our league position improved the season after he left, and continued to do so until torres arrived

torres left us in decline, and we did not improve until last season

so, whilst all of those players appeared to leave a massive hole, only fowler was immediately replaced (before he left in fact) but in no instance did our performance or prospects really suffer

keegan and rush left us at the top of their game and while we were on top
keegan left when we won the league and European cup, but was directly replaced by dalglish......and while we finished 2nd the following season, we won the European cup and then went on to dominate the league over the next decade

rush left when we finished second with everton on the up, and was directly replaced by Aldridge but with additions of Beardsley and barnes, and Houghton of course...the following season we won the league with a breathtaking season and should have won a double....

we have never suffered, certainly for a long time, due to a striker leaving........let's hope that is a trend to continue

Joey's ate the frogs legs, made the swiss roll, now he's munchin' gladbach!!

Offline rojo para la vida

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
« Reply #52 on: July 15, 2014, 12:38:25 pm »
We go again? Of course we do and no one or anything is bigger than the institution of Liverpool Football Club.

It sometimes doesn't hit you how big a side we are. Today there are reports in the shitty rags that the victorious German World Cup squad are parading their trophy before half a million fans in Berlin. If the BBC are to be believed, over a million watched us parade the European Cup in 2005. It felt like two million to me but we are massive and we are fucking special.

Offline McrRed

• Member of International Hill Climbers Group. Only gets happy endings at Christmas.
  • Legacy Fan
  • In the town where I was born
« Reply #53 on: July 15, 2014, 08:38:32 pm »
I'm sure its been done on here but has anyone got the stats for game winning goals from Suarez? Year before, Bale saved tottinghams ass by providing so many (1-0) game winners. The next year they buy a shed load of players - too many, really, and suffered.

We are not Tottenham.

We go again.

Offline houkura

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2014, 10:37:11 am »
I'm sure its been done on here but has anyone got the stats for game winning goals from Suarez? Year before, Bale saved tottinghams ass by providing so many (1-0) game winners. The next year they buy a shed load of players - too many, really, and suffered.

We are not Tottenham.

We go again.

I don't but I do know that Sturridge had more game winning goals than Suarez last year. Also-when looking at win percentage with and without Suarez it can be argued we won't miss him drasically. The numbers speak for themselves;

Liverpool win percentage with Suarez=50%
Liverpool win percentage without Suarez (since he joined)=64%

Ajax win percentage with Suarez=61%
Ajax win percentage without Suarez (during his time there)=70%

(smaller sample size should be considered for "games without" of course)

Also-Sturridge scores more goal when losing than Suarez. Last season Sturridge scored 5 goals when Liverpool were losing and Suarez only 1. Sturridge caused Liverpool to win more points as well-his 20 goals resulted in 18 points for Liverpool while Suarez's 30 accounted for 15 points.

Anyway-this thread isn't about Suarez, it's about Liverpool. My feeling is we will be fine without him. Nothing more true has ever been said than the adage that no player is bigger than the club, be they Luis Suarez, Fernando Torres, Rush or Dalglish. We move on with fantastic memories but we build new ones with new heroes. We go again-Suarez or not.
"Good to be here, good to be anywhere."  --Keith Richards

Offline Drinks Sangria

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • 'I'm caught on your coat again.'
« Reply #55 on: July 16, 2014, 10:42:06 am »
Chelsea and Arsenal have gotten much, much stronger. I think Utd will improve but are still somewhat of an unknown quantity. Spurs are being very quiet at the moment and Newcastle have done some great business. Everton, nothing as yet surprise surprise.

We've also done fantastic business. Markovic comes in as a player who I think we'll be extremely happy with, a lot sooner than some predicted due to his age. Suarez may be leaving, but we've crucially made the squad much, much stronger. Not by any small amount either. Can, Lambert and Lallana offer us so much more in terms of options in the starting XI and on the bench. If we can add some depth defensively and sort out the LB and CB positions, we're in a great situation where I can see Top 3 being a strong possibility.
“Seeing these smiling faces is the greatest pleasure. They have been magnificent all season. They have been our 12th man. I have always said our fans are the best in England. Now I know they are the best in Europe too.” Rafa Benitez

Offline Snoopy29

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #56 on: July 16, 2014, 10:56:14 am »
This is LFC..

they do things DIFFERENTLY...
Team doesnt sign legends, IT MAKES THEM
“I want to build a team that's invincible, so that they have to send a team from bloody Mars to beat us!” “For a player to be good enough to play for Liverpool, he must be prepared to run through a brick wall for me then come out fighting on the other side."

(Bill Shankly)

Offline Keith Lard

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #57 on: July 16, 2014, 10:56:44 am »
Chelsea and Arsenal have gotten much, much stronger. I think Utd will improve but are still somewhat of an unknown quantity. Spurs are being very quiet at the moment and Newcastle have done some great business. Everton, nothing as yet surprise surprise.

We've also done fantastic business. Markovic comes in as a player who I think we'll be extremely happy with, a lot sooner than some predicted due to his age. Suarez may be leaving, but we've crucially made the squad much, much stronger. Not by any small amount either. Can, Lambert and Lallana offer us so much more in terms of options in the starting XI and on the bench. If we can add some depth defensively and sort out the LB and CB positions, we're in a great situation where I can see Top 3 being a strong possibility.

Yup pretty much spot on.

Thing that excites me more than anything is to see if any of the young lads can break through. We could really do with a couple of bonuses this year from junior squad members and the academy.
Pour yourself a drink and enjoy watching a genius in red - John Barnes || https://youtu.be/XEJfzUSH4e4

Offline Mingle

• No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I believe...
« Reply #58 on: July 16, 2014, 11:09:06 am »
I reckon we'll become more like the team we need to be. Genuinely intrigued as to how it unfolds from here.

I don’t know what the feeling is outside of London, but in Essex/London the feeling is we're a one season wonder, especially with Luis gone.

For instance no one seems to think Sturridge will step up to the plate... I believe he'll love being the No1... it’s what his personality craves!!

plus we have Lambert... could he be the new Aldo?

It would mean the world to me if we'd match or better the heights of last season
« Last Edit: July 16, 2014, 11:16:46 am by Mingle »
At the end of a storm, Theres a golden sky...Believe in Brendan

Offline Kovai Red

• Oh my captain!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Educated Farrago
« Reply #59 on: July 16, 2014, 01:37:38 pm »
We have Sturridge already
"Liverpool are the ones with the ball. I support them just for that"
"Ella pugazhum Iraivan Oruvanuke"

Offline Les Willis

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2014, 02:35:05 pm »
I don’t know what the feeling is outside of London, but in Essex/London the feeling is we're a one season wonder, especially with Luis gone.

For instance no one seems to think Sturridge will step up to the plate... I believe he'll love being the No1... it’s what his personality craves!!

plus we have Lambert... could he be the new Aldo?

It would mean the world to me if we'd match or better the heights of last season

I think that the prevailing view from fans of most other clubs was that we fluked getting 2nd and without Suarez we'll be struggling to attain top 4 status. I think they are probably right that we might not find ourselves in such a good position as last year (when we were really in sniffing distance of winning the title), but I think fans of other clubs are underestimating us and oversestimating Arsenal.

A lot will depend on the signings of teams like United, City, Arsenal and Chelsea and who else we will bring in. Spurs I'm discounting already.

Offline Macphisto80

• The Picasso of RAWK. But wants to shag Charlie Brooker. Go figure! Wants to hear about bi-curious Shauno's fantasies.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2014, 03:01:36 pm »
Same oul shit as last year. Who gives a fuck what pundits and the media and fans of other teams think. Here's what I think: we're going to piss the league. See you in May.

Offline SpartanTree. No deccies or lights.

• Legacy Fan
  • This is ANFIELD !!!
« Reply #62 on: July 16, 2014, 03:53:40 pm »
We go again.

'Siempre es posible' - my eyes have seen the glory...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=9OHC7lIfvk4

Physical death I do not fear, death of conscience is a sure death.

Offline Gnurglan

• The Swedish Savaloy
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #63 on: July 16, 2014, 04:03:01 pm »
We go again!!!

Haven't we been saying that since 89 when it comes to the league.

You build on your top players not sale them.

No player is bigger than the club!!!

What about the players thinking they are bigger than the club?

That seems to be our problem, we are now seen as a stepping stone to a bigger club.

I'll miss Suarez. Any team, literally, in the whole world would miss him. He's that good.

But as much as I will miss him, I also feel OK about it. Because he wants to play in a country where he's got relatives. And we got as much money as we wanted for him. I accept those reasons. Off to Arsenal for 40M last season, not so much. We can bring out the love for the club etc, but I reckon Suarez loved playing for LFC. That's certainly the impression I had when I watched him in play. His choice was to stay, more or less for the rest of hos career, or to go this summer. This is the time when someone is willing to meet the clause. 

I don't see it as us being a stepping stone. Every player has his price. Ronaldo (both) had it, ZZ had it, Figo had it, even Gerrard had it. That's life. We named our price in Suarez' contract and all parties were happy with it. Barca pay and that's it. We shouldn't feel bad about it. We knew there was a risk, but we also knew we'd get an extreme amount of money. We lose him, but it's the best deal we could have made. No hard feelings, just some sadness that we've lost a fabulous player.

"The key isn't the system itself, but how the players adapt on the pitch. It doesn't matter if it's 4-3-3 or 4-4-2, it's the role of the players that counts." Rafa Benitez

Offline GerrardRock2

• Good for upset tummies.....
  • No new LFC topics
  • Kopite
  • I'm muted, not sure why? Allow in-match threads
« Reply #64 on: July 16, 2014, 04:20:46 pm »
I'm excited to see what Sturridge can do this year. I really thought he progressed nicely last year playing with some real swagger on the back half of the season. He was one of England's brighter players at the cup along with Raheem and the Everton boys (when the Owl played them). His attitude has been top class and I think a couple of seasons with Suarez have opened the cap for Dan to realize he has great potential. He might not get 30 but I expect a good haul and I think he is ready to be our point.