Author Topic: Nokia finally admit something we have all known for years  (Read 29986 times)

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• Michael Pain the tittie-fixated inflatable doll salesman
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Re: Nokia finally admit something we have all known for years
« Reply #80 on: June 24, 2011, 09:30:00 am »
I'm not sure why they ditched this in order to go with Windows phone - I think this looks great, simple and powerful.

And here is the first Nokia Windows phone, codename sea ray:

"Turn off all your cameras.. oh that red light is the off light? alright then I'll continue"

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/F6oidCTUw4s?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/F6oidCTUw4s?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_GB</a>

Nokia couldn't afford to run the software side of their business any more as it was hemorrhaging money, it's that simple. Plus throw in developer support and lack of competitiveness in America they really need MS as much as MS needs them.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:48:16 am by ♠Dirty Harry♠ »

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2011, 09:42:19 am »
the bt cellnet phone from philips

this was the first payg mobile i remember being widely used and not too expensive.

it was really crap with a one-line screen iirc.

was a blessed relief to get my nk702 - brilliant phone

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2011, 10:00:55 am »
whats so good about windows ? i mean what are the advantages compared to android/ios? android seems like the dogs bollocks because the ui is completely  customisable, open software, app market that is vast.

ios is great because its so simple , everyone can use it, great developer support, constant improving os, great company that strives for improvement and massive fan base and great hardware for phones.

what will microsoft bring to the table that is new and/can improve peoples options?   

PUSSY cat, PUSSY cat, I love you,  yes I do.......

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2011, 10:43:52 am »
whats so good about windows ? i mean what are the advantages compared to android/ios? android seems like the dogs bollocks because the ui is completely  customisable, open software, app market that is vast.

ios is great because its so simple , everyone can use it, great developer support, constant improving os, great company that strives for improvement and massive fan base and great hardware for phones.

what will microsoft bring to the table that is new and/can improve peoples options?   

Android is essentially taking over from where Windows Mobile left off in regards to it's customisation and looks to a certain degree, it's fragmentation is already causing problems within the developer community which will only get worse. It's also a pig no matter how many processors you throw at it, the interface is jumpy, lacks fluidity and is rather confusing for first time users. My Da went back to a Nokia after I bought him a basic Samsung Galaxy for for Christmas, my mum then took it and she's still confused by it. My girlfriend has a HTC Desire and it took her ages to work with it, she still gets confused and has a lot of errors and bugs.

Though don't get me wrong, I would take Android over IOS every day of the week.

WP7 is very simple and intuitive to use but is still a smartphone, has a fantastic fluid interface with relatively old technology behind the scenes. It offers a pretty nice social experience (if you're that way inclined) as it integrates FB, Twitter, Skype, Yahoo, MSN, AOL and several other messaging services into the phone and not individual apps. Plus it's messenger services is a bit like BB Messenger and iMessenger only the other person doesn't require a WP7.

There's SkyCloud integration which is basically like iCloud, though it's free (5gb Syncing and 25gb storage) and it keeps your files indefinitely (though it doesn't stream your music collection (I don't think iCloud does this either though), but you can store it there).

Xbox live gaming

There's about 25,000 apps in the marketplace and is growing at about 1000 per week

Almost anyone with experience of HTML and Javascript can build and app for the phone.

Then there's Zune pass which allows access to I think around 10 million songs for £7.50 a month, both on your phone and any other device with Zune pass software installed.

You have a choice of hardware, swappable batteries and SD cards.

It's still under a year old and can match most major features of the other phones.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OP30F3ZxTmw

I've had a WP since launch and it's a fantastic OS, it's reliable and does what I need it to do very efficiently. If you want to know anything else drop me a PM or post in here
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 10:50:33 am by ♠Dirty Harry♠ »

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2011, 11:16:37 am »
from what my understand is, the fragmentation problem isn't going to be a problem when iceream sandwhich comes into play, apparently the ice cream sandwich os update is going to be a game changer in terms of fragmentation and other defects in the os.

i have this samsung galaxy s2 phone and its more fluid and fast than my iphone 4, granted it's got better hardware and specs, still android runs like a dream.

obviously  the os still needs improve, and to a extent there are still problems on the lad and speed of the software, however the great thing about android is the fact there is so much development going on in the background to fix these problems.

i also don't understand how anyone can find android soooo complicated.  granted if your xx amount years old and havent got much experience in using a smart phone, then yes in the 1st couple of days you might struggle.

but i have had this phone one day and have got used to the UI and how things work.

its seems to be windows is basically a mix of android and IOS, simple like IOS but got an openness to an extend, the same as android, as well as the developers hopping on board.

Offline drpepe

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2011, 11:22:07 am »

for mr. average an android phone is very pretty, does some great things. And to operate the phone trouble-free you have to have a little technical know-how (and willingness to do the research) because apps are a minefield  - there's a lot of buggy shit out there.

is a failing of all the 'smart' phones to a degree to be honest but OS bugginess especially a problem with android in my experience

Offline stevensr123

• bedwetter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2011, 11:29:03 am »
for mr. average an android phone is very pretty, does some great things. And to operate the phone trouble-free you have to have a little technical know-how (and willingness to do the research) because apps are a minefield  - there's a lot of buggy shit out there.

is a failing of all the 'smart' phones to a degree to be honest but OS bugginess especially a problem with android in my experience
i agree, the reason IOS is so easy is basically because it is simply a wall of apps, nothing specially and no customisation needed/you can't really customisation. this is great because every man and his dog can use it, the bad thing is people who do know abit more about technical shit  and people who do want more customisation, will quickly get sick of seeing a wall of apps.

im not saying i am technically gifted or anything, i simply wanted a more "exciting" OS, an OS than can be whatever i want it to be. and it had to be android.

now is windows 7 the same as IOS? in terms of simplicity?

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2011, 11:31:33 am »
from what my understand is, the fragmentation problem isn't going to be a problem when iceream sandwhich comes into play, apparently the ice cream sandwich os update is going to be a game changer in terms of fragmentation and other defects in the os.

i have this samsung galaxy s2 phone and its more fluid and fast than my iphone 4, granted it's got better hardware and specs, still android runs like a dream.

obviously  the os still needs improve, and to a extent there are still problems on the lad and speed of the software, however the great thing about android is the fact there is so much development going on in the background to fix these problems.

i also don't understand how anyone can find android soooo complicated.  granted if your xx amount years old and havent got much experience in using a smart phone, then yes in the 1st couple of days you might struggle.

but i have had this phone one day and have got used to the UI and how things work.

its seems to be windows is basically a mix of android and IOS, simple like IOS but got an openness to an extend, the same as android, as well as the developers hopping on board.

I'll say nothing more on fragmentation until ICS is released and see how it lives up to it's promises.

But the issue for me is that you require a dual core CPU to fix your interface but improves very little about the lag in other areas, it seems an awful waste of CPU power that should be improving the load times and app experience?

In regards on how to use, for me it's a doddle but I'm technically minded and have experience with smart phones, but for the layman it's a mess of icons and confusing menus to be honest.

WP7 is the smartphone for technical retards.

i agree, the reason IOS is so easy is basically because it is simply a wall of apps, nothing specially and no customisation needed/you can't really customisation. this is great because every man and his dog can use it, the bad thing is people who do know abit more about technical shit  and people who do want more customisation, will quickly get sick of seeing a wall of apps.

im not saying i am technically gifted or anything, i simply wanted a more "exciting" OS, an OS than can be whatever i want it to be. and it had to be android.

now is windows 7 the same as IOS? in terms of simplicity?

It's simpler than IOS, less going on on the screen at any one time.

In terms of customisation it's as locked down as IOS although you can 'jailbreak' it with a Microsoft endorsed program by ChevronWP7 team, saying that you can customise your home screen to a certain degree and include weather updates, clocks and other such shite. What customisation level do you require, I might be better placed to tell if WP7 offers it

It really depends on your needs, I needed a good phone which was slick, easy on the eye and with good finger efficiency.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2011, 11:37:53 am by ♠Dirty Harry♠ »

Offline WheelerLFC

• Anny Roader
  • Brendan Rodgers Liverpool are on our way to glory!
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2011, 02:53:42 pm »
Worst piece of shit

I had the 1st n-gage that came out and it had everything plus little extras that wasnt on any phones at the time i.e bluetooth i thought it was a great phone lol.

I dont know how to post pics but remember the nokia from the 1st matrix film with the slide down mouth piece, snazzy stuff haha
'Take that poof bandage off, and what do you mean YOUR knee, it's LIVERPOOL'S knee!' - Bill Shankly

Offline thechulloran

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #89 on: June 26, 2011, 04:23:45 pm »
Nokia N95 was a beast of a phone. Probably the last great phone they made.

accidently left mine in the wash last week

I couldn't turn it on immediately, I thought it was dead

i tried turning it on a few hours later...and it works perfectly...wow...amazing!  :o
"Blackstone was targeted by Internet terrorists" - Tom Hicks

Offline buzzing

• Fart bottling, Men and Motors watching, meat washing scaffold erector.
  • Legacy Fan
  • R.I.P
« Reply #90 on: June 26, 2011, 05:35:14 pm »
think my next phone will have to be a windows just to see if they've fixed up - Can already guess Iphone 5 will be super expensive
"You have to admire animals. Hamster spun round in a wheel three times bigger than him and abruptly lands on his back. Then just gets up and carries on as if nothing happened! If that was a human he'd be helicoptered to hospital, off work for 6 months have back issues for 20 years and then start legal proceedings against the wheels owner"

Offline Claire.

• RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #91 on: June 26, 2011, 06:54:50 pm »
Apparently, the 3310 has come back with a bang amongst the twats trendies in shoreditch. It's one reason to burn your stocks.

Offline MBL?

• England Rugby Union's biggest fan. Accepts nothing smaller than 6.5 you know......
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #92 on: June 26, 2011, 07:20:58 pm »
My first was the camera phone.

Offline Kashinoda

• More broken biscuits than made of crisps
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • ....mmm
« Reply #93 on: June 27, 2011, 02:08:31 am »
Apparently, the 3310 has come back with a bang amongst the twats trendies in shoreditch. It's one reason to burn your stocks.

As long as they stay away from the 8210.
:D

Offline Lawnmowerman

• Got married to Pique in April. Shakira isn't happy.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #94 on: September 25, 2011, 12:43:40 pm »
Thinking of picking up one of those Nokia N8. Anyone here got one? Thoughts?

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
  • 'You'll Never Walk Alone.'
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #95 on: September 25, 2011, 03:13:40 pm »
Thinking of picking up one of those Nokia N8. Anyone here got one? Thoughts?
I personally wouldn't recommend one due to the changes for Nokia in the not too distant future. If you look through this thread you will see that the Symbian OS is going and being replaced by Windows mobile. There are much better phones about at the moment.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #96 on: September 25, 2011, 03:23:55 pm »
I personally wouldn't recommend one due to the changes for Nokia in the not too distant future. If you look through this thread you will see that the Symbian OS is going and being replaced by Windows mobile. There are much better phones about at the moment.
symbian and android all goes over me head pal. So what happens when it gets taken over by windows? The N8 features go to shit or something?

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #97 on: September 25, 2011, 03:38:50 pm »
I've got an n8 and it's good, especially since Symbian Anna was released. With Symbian Belle also coming in the next month(s) I'll be keeping this for at least another year or two.

Good things: best phone camera out there still, xenon flash, oled screen, loud external speaker, built in FM transmitter sends music to any radio, nokia maps sat nav, excellent build quality.

Apps I use regularly: SportsTracker, Wellness Diary, Social (twitter), Pixelpipe (uploading photos/vids), Joiku spot (wifi hotspot), Nokia Internet Radio, Nokia Maps, WhatsApp (instant messenger), Opera Mobile, and then a few games - Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja, Tetris, Worms etc.

Bad things: poor internet browser (being fixed in next update though), limited amount of apps compared to iOS and Andriod, clunky Symbian menus

Basically the software side lets down the fantastic hardware but with the new updates a lot of those gripes are fixed. If you consume a lot of apps then it's probably not the best phone for you. However if you're not really fussed about apps/games then it's a great device and you'll be able to get it cheap - I picked one up a couple of months old second hand sim free and unlocked for £170ish back in spring.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/WONzo7lWpXQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;hd=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/WONzo7lWpXQ?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;hd=1</a>

This is the new update coming soon.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 03:41:52 pm by Uhoh AureliOs »

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #98 on: September 25, 2011, 03:44:04 pm »
symbian and android all goes over me head pal. So what happens when it gets taken over by windows? The N8 features go to shit or something?

Nope. The N8 carries on doing what it does and will get minor updates and stuff like usual - just in a few years time they won't be doing any more updates. App developers are losing interest in Symbian so new apps will become less frequent too but it won't suddenly end, it'll be a long drawn out process.

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #99 on: September 25, 2011, 03:45:26 pm »
Ta pal. Not fussed over the likes of apps/games and stuff. Decent camera would be nice. Is the Nokia sat nav apps on these free? OVI or something like that i think. Im on prepay and dont want to paying for shite like that. Those symbian upgrades are free too aswell arent they?

Sorry if these are questions with obvious answers, im shite tech wise. Just about know how to turn a phone on

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2011, 03:49:29 pm »
No worries, yeah the sat nav is free, the operating system upgrades too. They dumped the OVI tag and now it's all Nokia Maps, Nokia store, Nokia internet radio... etc.

The best thing for getting any new phone is to get down the shop and have a play with it. It's worth a look in my opinion.

Edit: I haven't bought any apps on the phone, I only use the free ones or the ones that came with it :) (I'm pay as you go too)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 03:56:17 pm by Uhoh AureliOs »

Offline Lawnmowerman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2011, 03:53:16 pm »
No worries, yeah the sat nav is free, the operating system upgrades too. They dumped the OVI tag and now it's all Nokia Maps, Nokia store, Nokia internet radio... etc.

The best thing for getting any new phone is to get down the shop and have a play with it. It's worth a look in my opinion.
Nice one pal. Been quite helpful :thumbup

Offline Des O'Connor

• Main Stander
« Reply #102 on: September 26, 2011, 12:27:02 pm »
I worked on Nokia tech support for years. When they bolted from Europe and made us all redundant I decided I needed a break from Symbian but wasn't one bit interested in iOS - wall of icons? yawn - and Android is basically S^3 with less overall functionality, so I went for a HTC running WP7. Couldn't have made a better choice to be honest. I've got so many friends with android phones who boast about more processors, RAM etc but I am still yet to experience any kind of lag with my phone, while they get it all the time with theirs. When i'm using it I feel like Inigo Montoya.

If Nokia get their act together and release a decent enough WP7 phone running Ovi Maps and an amazing camera, then I am on board straight away.

Offline kinkytones

• Anny Roader
  • Ta for the profile reset. Bellends
« Reply #103 on: September 26, 2011, 12:41:42 pm »
the bt cellnet phone from philips

this was the first payg mobile i remember being widely used and not too expensive.

They were boss. Used to get free texts if you turned the power off during the egg timer after sending it. Back in the days when a text cost 2p. I was a stingy twat.
"Our purpose was to document the event" - Mossad agents arrested on 9/11 caught filming the attacks.

Offline Emlynevermore

• Twinkletoes
  • Legacy Fan
  • Bounce!
« Reply #104 on: September 27, 2011, 04:25:06 am »
I had a 3660 some years ago, looked a bit wimpy but loved it to bits.  It was so much fun to just hold and mess about with, a bit like having a cock with a dialtone.  Hope MS can sort out Nokia's software issues.

Forza Viola!
Sitting in my car near anfield I've just had an amazing idea. Why not get behind the team?

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #105 on: September 27, 2011, 08:37:39 am »
I think my phone history was:

Phillips Savvy

Sony Ericsson T310

Sony Ericsson T610

Sony Ericsson K750i

Sony Ericsson w810i

I was loyal to Ericsson upto this point and then I entered the smartphone world and got:

Iphone 3GS

Iphone 4

The difference in 10 years or so is crazy

Offline SuperScouse

• Anny Roader
  • Walk on through the wind
« Reply #106 on: September 27, 2011, 09:05:27 am »
I used the k750i as my work phone for ages, was brilliant, then like a stupid twat I dropped it into the sink under a running tap. Got a work-issued old Nokia now which is falling to bits

Offline PhiLFC#1

• The Messiah! He rawks amongst us
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #107 on: September 27, 2011, 10:03:15 am »
I used the k750i as my work phone for ages, was brilliant, then like a stupid twat I dropped it into the sink under a running tap. Got a work-issued old Nokia now which is falling to bits

K750i was an insanely popular phone back in like 05 or so, everyone seemed to have one. I suppose that was just before smartphones began to properly take hold

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #108 on: October 27, 2011, 09:44:42 pm »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/mobile/business-15459118?SThisFB

Nokia finally wakes up. I'm looking forward to thispartnership over the next couple of years. Nokia always produced great hardware but shite software. Although the number of apps available at the moment is poor, but that UI is great!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 09:46:53 pm by wz4jc3 »

Offline Carra-ton

• Carrington, who plays there! derrr!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #109 on: October 29, 2011, 06:50:26 am »
Those Mseries nokia phones or meebos, they are one sexy phone batch. Wish they had gone with android, samsung would have shit their pants.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2A7LPbi1hCM/ThSICFqEGMI/AAAAAAAAAy0/IZuQDy80aMo/s320/nokia+N9+meebo+hbf.jpg
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 06:52:00 am by Carra-ton »
Hats off to Bill on his throne,
He set the club's standards in stone.
Navigating the storm,
Is the Liverpool norm,
You'll never walk alone!

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #110 on: October 29, 2011, 08:41:50 am »
I had a 3660 some years ago, looked a bit wimpy but loved it to bits.  It was so much fun to just hold and mess about with, a bit like having a cock with a dialtone.  Hope MS can sort out Nokia's software issues.

Don't recall ever seeing one of these before. :-)

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #111 on: October 29, 2011, 10:09:44 am »
Those Mseries nokia phones or meebos, they are one sexy phone batch. Wish they had gone with android, samsung would have shit their pants.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-2A7LPbi1hCM/ThSICFqEGMI/AAAAAAAAAy0/IZuQDy80aMo/s320/nokia+N9+meebo+hbf.jpg

You mean Meego? that's the operating system on the N9.

Looks like the n9 and Lumia 800 are identical bodies except the Windows version has a dedicated camera button and the flash is in a different place. (also missing NFC)

It's a nice looking phone though, here's some more Lumia 800 photos

In comparison with an iPhone

Nokia have also released a cheaper more colourful range:

The coolest thing announced at Nokia world was this prototype:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/wQ-vIG2NU2E?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;hd=1" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/wQ-vIG2NU2E?version=3&amp;amp;hl=en_US&amp;amp;hd=1</a>

I guess that's where those billions in R&D have gone. The new bendy phone!

Offline wz4jc3

• Legacy Fan
    • Teach Maths
« Reply #112 on: October 29, 2011, 12:49:15 pm »
You mean Meego? that's the operating system on the N9.

Looks like the n9 and Lumia 800 are identical bodies except the Windows version has a dedicated camera button and the flash is in a different place. (also missing NFC)

It's a nice looking phone though, here's some more Lumia 800 photos

I guess that's where those billions in R&D have gone. The new bendy phone!
Very cool, but it does concern me you would have to use two hands to find your way around the phone.

Offline Uhoh AureliOs

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Fabio!
« Reply #113 on: October 29, 2011, 01:27:30 pm »
It's two different phones (Lumia 800 and N9) :D

Offline Gromit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #114 on: October 29, 2011, 05:22:42 pm »
It's two different phones (Lumia 800 and N9) :D

No front-facing camera on the 800 as well.  Priced almost as much as an iphone, think i'll pass.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #115 on: October 29, 2011, 05:35:24 pm »
No front-facing camera on the 800 as well.  Priced almost as much as an iphone, think i'll pass.

Nowhere near it, £370-£400 quid unlocked.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 05:43:59 pm by ♠Dirty Harry♠ »

Offline Hierro

• Legacy Fan
  • Life is life.
« Reply #116 on: October 29, 2011, 05:41:11 pm »
Only ever had one Nokia phone - 6230i.  It's also the only phone I've ever kept beyond it's first contract.  Utterly brilliant bit of kit.
Believe.

XBL:  Steevvvoo

PSN:  Steevvvoo

Offline barneystuta

• Legacy Fan
    • This Is Analysis - Stories & Analysis about Liverpool Football Club
« Reply #117 on: October 29, 2011, 11:05:16 pm »
They were boss. Used to get free texts if you turned the power off during the egg timer after sending it. Back in the days when a text cost 2p. I was a stingy twat.

Haha, I remember that :D

Offline Gromit

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #118 on: October 30, 2011, 03:02:55 am »
Nowhere near it, £370-£400 quid unlocked.

Sorry, I should have been clearer, I work in Asia and the Apple products are priced more like their US equivalent.

A iphone 4 16gb is about 375 pounds, a Galaxy S2 is 400 and the Nokia 800 is due to launch at 360 pounds.

Offline ♠Dirty Harry♠

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #119 on: October 30, 2011, 09:43:51 am »
Sorry, I should have been clearer, I work in Asia and the Apple products are priced more like their US equivalent.

A iphone 4 16gb is about 375 pounds, a Galaxy S2 is 400 and the Nokia 800 is due to launch at 360 pounds.

Ah right, sorry. Some of the features you mention aren't a big deal here yet, but it's enough to put people off buying, me for one. FF camera app support isn't widely available due to a patchy 3G/WiFi network and NFC hasn't been widely adopted here yet as far as I know, but knowing that 9-12 months down the line these technologies will be more widely available makes this phone kinda meh.

I think that Nokia are (and almost sure confirmed) putting NFC and front facing cams in the forthcoming summer hardware and this phone is a stop gap to keep them in the public mindset, but as I said, I wouldn't buy it knowing that WP7 'Apollo' is coming next summer allowing for a higher hardware spec.

For £360 unlocked the phone is a pretty good deal, not so much for you, but for someone looking not looking for the latest and greatest but for a beautiful phone with a great OS, a decent app portfolio and decent specs it's an attractive package especially if you can get a contract with an optional upgrade after 12 months in time for the next generation of phones. I can envisage this been very much so a teenie phone.

I'm disappointed that the Nokia 'Ace' never surfaced, which was supposed to have 4.3" clearblack amoled, NFC and FF Camera as I'm currently without phone after dropping my HD7 in the sea on holidays.

I might see if I can get a palm pre 3 or an Nokia N9 on the cheap whilst I wait for next years batch of phones to come out, I'd accept nearly anything that doesn't run that godforsaken Android.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2011, 09:48:16 am by ♠Dirty Harry♠ »