Author Topic: DC Mega Topic, it's not the MCU  (Read 330333 times)

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
  • We All Live In A Red And White Klopp
    • Andrew Ness Photographer
Re: DC Mega Topic, it's not the MCU
« Reply #3440 on: July 24, 2018, 05:30:32 pm »
Aren't they already doing this?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Something Worse

• Master of prehistoric and fantasy creature-based onomatopoeia
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3441 on: July 24, 2018, 09:17:08 pm »

They weren't, I think the three incoming movies are DCEU. But now we can have Red Son!

(I can dream)
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Gordon's ALIVE? Practically Bear Grylls. Backwards Bluesman Bastard.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Feedback Tourist #4
« Reply #3442 on: July 24, 2018, 09:50:22 pm »
They weren't, I think the three incoming movies are DCEU. But now we can have Red Son!

(I can dream)

At least there is a chance of that now, because it could be fantastic.

This announcement also makes the Joaquin Phoenix Joker film make more sense.
Anyone else being strangely drawn to Dion Dublin's nipples?

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3443 on: July 24, 2018, 10:18:21 pm »

They kind of are already with the TV versions vs the cinematic versions.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3444 on: July 24, 2018, 10:30:15 pm »

De Niro is reportedly in the new Joker film, it could be a classic.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3445 on: July 24, 2018, 11:12:37 pm »

I'm fine with Cavill staying and them just doing his movies in between Multiverse stuff.

Although he'd have to play Ultraman.

Actually fuck it just scrap the whole thing and go apeshit.

Ridley Scott Presents Flashpoint
Michael Bay Presents Lobo
Alejandro Inarritu presents Earth 3
GDT presents Justice League Dark
Maybe the group, led by your leadership, will see these drafts as PR functions and brilliant use of humor

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Beav

• Football is impatient. Loves Vader's Helmet.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3446 on: July 25, 2018, 10:47:01 am »
I'm fine with Cavill staying and them just doing his movies in between Multiverse stuff.

Although he'd have to play Ultraman.

Actually fuck it just scrap the whole thing and go apeshit.

Ridley Scott Presents Flashpoint
Michael Bay Presents Lobo
Alejandro Inarritu presents Earth 3
GDT presents Justice League Dark

I am absolutely here for giving weird directors free licence to just do whatever they want with comic book properties.

Mister Miracle, a Darren Aronofsky film.

Hawkman, a film by Lars von Trier.

To be honest this move has made the most sense for years, and its weird, although not surprising, they took so long to realise it. Marvel are king of the connected universe idea, so make yours the one where you do different, interesting takes on the characters and fuck the continuity stuff. They just have to bite the bullet and trust in the filmmakers, not meddle with them because thats how they got here in the first place.
Twitter:  http://twitter.com/__Beav

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline Nessy76

• Shits alone and doesn't condone public self-molestation. Literally Goldenballs' biggest fan
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3447 on: July 25, 2018, 11:54:01 am »
James Gunn is available, if they are feeling brave and bold.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3448 on: July 25, 2018, 02:40:46 pm »
I am absolutely here for giving weird directors free licence to just do whatever they want with comic book properties.

Mister Miracle, a Darren Aronofsky film.

Hawkman, a film by Lars von Trier.

To be honest this move has made the most sense for years, and its weird, although not surprising, they took so long to realise it. Marvel are king of the connected universe idea, so make yours the one where you do different, interesting takes on the characters and fuck the continuity stuff. They just have to bite the bullet and trust in the filmmakers, not meddle with them because thats how they got here in the first place.

Exactly! I've been saying for years you don't compete with Marvel, you go a different way. You never know what good stuff could come of it (and bad stuff, for that matter).

James Gunn is available, if they are feeling brave and bold.

Teen Titans seems like something he could do. DC would have to wait a year to pretend like they care about his tweets.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3449 on: July 25, 2018, 03:57:49 pm »
So - in simple terms - how does this work?
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3450 on: July 25, 2018, 04:07:29 pm »

As opposed to all the MCU films being set in the same universe, the DC films won't be.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3451 on: July 25, 2018, 09:12:16 pm »

You know how the A Team never turn up in an episode of The Good Life?

That.
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3452 on: July 26, 2018, 04:17:43 pm »

You know all the Batman films that were before this recent Affleck one? Imagine they all exist, but theyre all in their own separate universes, so like Adam West's Batman is Earth 1, Burton's Batman is on Earth 2, Nolans is Earth 3 etc etc.

You dont have to worry about making sure all the individual films fit together, so you could have a Superman film that is in a different world to the upcoming Batman film, they dont have to share a style or even be the same period in history, you could have a Superman in the 70's while Batman is around today.

So with all the Joker films, the Jared Leto one is in the DCEU with the current Batman, Justice League etc, while the Joaquin Phoenix film is in a different universe, and doesnt have to tie in to those films.

Ah. Another Manchester United fan crashes out from the woodwork like a bemused koala that has taken three hits of crystal meth.

Offline AndyMuller

• Has always wondered how to do it. Rice, Rice, Baby. Wants to have George Michael. Would batter A@A at karate.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3453 on: July 26, 2018, 04:34:17 pm »
You know all the Batman films that were before this recent Affleck one? Imagine they all exist, but theyre all in their own separate universes, so like Adam West's Batman is Earth 1, Burton's Batman is on Earth 2, Nolans is Earth 3 etc etc.

You dont have to worry about making sure all the individual films fit together, so you could have a Superman film that is in a different world to the upcoming Batman film, they dont have to share a style or even be the same period in history, you could have a Superman in the 70's while Batman is around today.

So with all the Joker films, the Jared Leto one is in the DCEU with the current Batman, Justice League etc, while the Joaquin Phoenix film is in a different universe, and doesnt have to tie in to those films.

Is having the connected universe the biggest issue with these films though?

I though they were just shite in general not because they are in the same universe.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3454 on: July 26, 2018, 07:14:33 pm »
Is having the connected universe the biggest issue with these films though?

I though they were just shite in general not because they are in the same universe.

Its not their biggest issue, but it is a problem that stemmed from them needing all the films to adhere to a singular vision, that of Zack Snyder. All of the films had to be connected because that was what Marvel were doing and everyone was trying to copy, but because they then needed it all to be Snydery, it painted them into a corner when all his films came out (plus Suicide Squad) and the general consensus was very mixed to bad.

This doesnt "fix" their issues, but it does mean that directors and writers can have the freedom to create their own visions for these characters, without having to be constantly worried about upsetting continuity or the style not mashing with what is already out. If they are left alone, this should lead to more interesting and better films. I think this has been coming for a while, given the look of both Shazam and Aquaman that look a million miles away from BvS.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3455 on: July 26, 2018, 08:55:20 pm »
There are some cool fucking characters in DC but if you're *top level director* why would you want to be tied to an overarching narrative you won't ever have a hand in again?

This way if Scorcese wants a movie, they can just leave him alone and reap the rewards instead of chasing him off with a list of requirements.

As Marvel go one way, DC should go the other. They can make smaller movies for less money, make money, and make a better movie. Marvel's success comes from how homogeneous and samey they all are, so the obvious move is the opposite look.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline my usenme changed?

• Self-appointed moderator for comic topics
  • Kopite
  • RAWK Librarian
« Reply #3456 on: July 26, 2018, 10:05:20 pm »
I think it's a good, bold move for DC. It's clear that everyone takes each movie, compares to Marvel and says "oh its not good", "they've rushed too many characters too quick", "its too dark". This allows them (as someone said earlier) some breathing space to move forward. As long as Batfleck doesnt turn up in Joaquin Phoenix's Joker movie for example then it should work.

All that's needed now is some serious quality movies. Bar Suicide Squad, I have enjoyed them all so far, but Wonder Woman is far and away the best so far. Still a long way to go to match the animated movies though.
Mid-Ulster Kopite  ---  BELIEVER

77 * 78 * 81 * 84 * 05 * 19
Follow me on Twitter for stuff about LFC and, er, Libraries. www.twitter.com/@cahalboyd

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #3457 on: August 8, 2018, 02:00:43 pm »
Finally got round to watching Justice League. Could be due to my extremely low expectations but I actually didn't find it that bad. It had a few things I enjoyed like the Flash and even Aquaman surprisingly (although I hated all the underwater stuff, it looked laughably bad). We also got to see Superman be Superman and not Snyder's horrible cynical view of Superman. The CGI lip was awful though and extremely off putting.

It was infinitely better than BVS and easily the 2nd best DC film since they started the extended universe stuff behind Wonder Woman. Obviously that's not saying much but I think it's at least a step in the right direction.

Offline Mr Mingebag Squid

• Wire glory hunter
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
« Reply #3458 on: August 9, 2018, 08:30:18 am »
You know how the A Team never turn up in an episode of The Good Life?

That.

Were the A Team and the Good Life connected?  :o

;D

So - Superman in a "Superman" film will have no relevance say to a Superman used in a Batman film? They're all totally separate entities? Right - got it!
My Sporting Dream Team:-
LFC - Worcester Warriors - Warrington Wolves - New England Patriots - Jenson Button
My Twatter : @MrHappySquid

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3459 on: August 9, 2018, 09:03:21 am »
Finally got round to watching Justice League. Could be due to my extremely low expectations but I actually didn't find it that bad. It had a few things I enjoyed like the Flash and even Aquaman surprisingly (although I hated all the underwater stuff, it looked laughably bad). We also got to see Superman be Superman and not Snyder's horrible cynical view of Superman. The CGI lip was awful though and extremely off putting.

It was infinitely better than BVS and easily the 2nd best DC film since they started the extended universe stuff behind Wonder Woman. Obviously that's not saying much but I think it's at least a step in the right direction.

Aye watched this the other day myself....

One of the most instantly forgettable superhero movies I’ve seen. Not particularly shocking or anything, just so average. Affleck isn’t a particularly good Batman, Cavill isn’t a particularly good actor, Aquaman is pretty shite, Wonder Woman is pretty good, the Flash was alright and the robot guy was average. The villain was shite. As expected just massively rushed. Felt like five minutes to introduce the villain, five minutes for Aquamans origin, five minutes to introduce the Flash, five minutes to introduce the robot, five minutes for the Superman bit and that was it apart from a load of pretty meaningless CGI battles against aliens.....
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
« Reply #3460 on: August 9, 2018, 10:06:48 am »
Urgh, Justice League.  Stuff like Superman's return to face Steppenwolf compared to Thor's arrival in Wakanda is why DC just aren't getting any real traction with their movies.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline El Lobo

• Chief Suck Up. Feel his breath on your face. Toxic, pathetic, arse-faced, weaselling slimeball. RAWK Maths Genius 2022.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Pretty, pretty, pretty pretty good
« Reply #3461 on: August 9, 2018, 11:04:22 am »
Urgh, Justice League.  Stuff like Superman's return to face Steppenwolf compared to Thor's arrival in Wakanda is why DC just aren't getting any real traction with their movies.

Its a complete rush job, so no one really gives a fuck about any of the characters. If they still had Bale as Batman, the woman whos name escapes me as Selina Kyle, and Michael Caine, and the guy who was about to become Robin at the end of TDKR, and that Batman was in this universe instead of Batfleck then it'd be instantly better because you'd actually give some sort of shit about them.
If he's being asked to head the ball too frequently - which isn't exactly his specialty - it could affect his ear and cause an infection. Especially if the ball hits him on the ear directly.

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3462 on: August 9, 2018, 11:52:12 am »

I thought BVS was a more developed & engrossing film than Justice League personally, but each to their own.

Neither are awful - Eel Lobo is right in that they're simply average and forgettable. Like Age of Ultron.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #3463 on: August 9, 2018, 11:58:37 am »
I thought BVS was a more developed & engrossing film than Justice League personally, but each to their own.

Neither are awful - Eel Lobo is right in that they're simply average and forgettable. Like Age of Ultron.

BVS is awful. It's an incoherent, boring mess of a film. JL average and forgettable, definitely, but BVS dreams of being called average and forgettable. It's just bad. Bad. Bad. Bad.

Offline Schmidt

• 's small stretchy scrotum
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3464 on: August 9, 2018, 01:37:16 pm »
BVS is awful. It's an incoherent, boring mess of a film. JL average and forgettable, definitely, but BVS dreams of being called average and forgettable. It's just bad. Bad. Bad. Bad.

I only watched the ultimate edition and I enjoyed it, minus the Martha bit.

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3465 on: August 9, 2018, 01:52:21 pm »
I only watched the ultimate edition and I enjoyed it, minus the Martha bit.

WHY DID YOU SAY THAT NAME?!

Offline LallanaInPyjamas

• Keita's shit, Bundesliga's shit, Bundesliga 2's shit
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Cheltenham 2020 Champion Tipster*
« Reply #3466 on: August 9, 2018, 03:25:58 pm »
Yeah I accidentally watched the director's cut (ultimate edition, I guess?) and I've heard it makes the film a lot better.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3467 on: August 9, 2018, 06:37:00 pm »
I have no idea why people don't like Steppenwolf. He was a perfectly fine first-movie villain.

Nothing special, but far from shite.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Brian Blessed

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3468 on: August 9, 2018, 06:40:23 pm »
I have no idea why people don't like Steppenwolf. He was a perfectly fine first-movie villain.

Nothing special, but far from shite.

He was fine as a villain, but the CG was woeful. I found it really off putting.

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3469 on: August 9, 2018, 06:52:09 pm »
He was fine as a villain, but the CG was woeful. I found it really off putting.

It doesn't bother me as much for aliens and weird shit, I find humanish cgi really off putting. The ones in Rogue One were awkward, all of the Prequel Trilogy as well for that matter.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline Nessy76

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3470 on: September 12, 2018, 03:56:29 pm »
Hollywood Reporter suggesting Caville is unlikely to reprise the role of Superman.

Suggestions?
Fuck the Daily Mail.
Abolish FIFA

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
« Reply #3471 on: September 12, 2018, 04:52:53 pm »
Hollywood Reporter suggesting Caville is unlikely to reprise the role of Superman.

Suggestions?

I wonder if its because hes been cast in the Witcher Netflix TV series.
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline JoeCole

• Spoiler!
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3472 on: September 12, 2018, 07:06:47 pm »
Waste of time bringing him back in Justice League then.

They should just hit reset on everything besides Wonder Woman.

Online Agent99

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3473 on: September 13, 2018, 08:51:35 am »

Suggestions?
Nic Cage.

Offline Golden_Child

• I...I...I...Iwanttheknife......oh, serious mode? Okay. Ommmm. Give me the kniiiiiife. Ommmm. Pleeeaaaase!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Credulity is not a virtue
« Reply #3474 on: September 13, 2018, 10:35:16 am »

Offline bobadicious

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3475 on: September 13, 2018, 11:05:01 am »
Football is a lie

Offline Beav

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3476 on: September 13, 2018, 11:13:02 am »

Suggestions?

They could literally magic up prime Christopher Reeve and they wouldnt know how to even use him so whats the point.

Online [new username under construction]

• Poster formerly know as shadowbane. Never lost his head whilst others panicked. Fucking kopite!
  • Legacy Fan
  • Insert something awesome here!
« Reply #3477 on: September 13, 2018, 11:54:05 am »

Suggestions?

Peter Dinklage

Offline Something Worse

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #3478 on: September 15, 2018, 12:46:40 am »
Cavill power play to speed up MOS2 IMO.

Hey Claus, fuck off.

Offline AndyMuller

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3479 on: September 20, 2018, 10:39:14 pm »

This new Joker film could be excellent with Joaquin Phoenix portraying him.