Author Topic: Roy eyes 5-6 new players in January  (Read 475268 times)

Offline J-Mc-

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Roy eyes 5-6 new players in January
« on: October 31, 2010, 12:12:51 pm »
Roy Hodgson is looking to bring 'five or six' players to Liverpool in January, including a new striker.

The Reds have endured their worst ever start to a Premier League season this campaign, leaving them languishing in the relegation zone having collected just nine points.

Manager Hodgson hopes to combat his side's poor form by heavily bolstering his squad in the upcoming transfer window, starting with his front line.

"We are going to be very interested in improving our squad in January," Hodgson said in the Daily Star.

"I'm prepared to accept that a number of players we're looking to sign do make five or six - but I don't wish to specify positions other than one is obviously a front player.
Short

"In January we should be really looking to solve one or two situations. We are desperately short of players. Front players.

"Having three front players at the club, and that's if you include Ryan Babel, is nowhere near good enough.

"If Fernando (Torres) isn't playing one week, you have got to get someone in who has got the same level of quality."

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11669_6478523,00.html

Sorry if its already been posted :wave
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Also  we're apparently after N'zogbia according to the People:

LIVERPOOL gaffer Roy Hodgson plans a £9million transfer window move for Wigan's Charles N'Zogbia.

He has been in stunning form since turning down a summer move to Birmingham City.

Hodgson and talent-spotter Kenny Dalglish watched French wing wizard N'Zogbia (above) in top form against Bolton last weekend when they went to see him and run the rule over today's opponents.

The Anfield pair saw enough to send three of their top scouts, including number one Eduardo Macia, to check him out in midweek - only for N'Zogbia to be restricted to a brief appearance as a sub in the Carling Cup.

Wigan could be tempted to sell, with the player ambitious for a top club and Marseille also showing an interest.

Hodgson hopes to do business in the New Year market and a pacy wide man is his missing link. None of his captures have filled that bill and Ryan Babel looks a likely departure to clear the way.

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez wants to hold on to his best players but he and chairman Dave Whelan may allow a sale to strengthen the Latics squad with the cash.

Martinez admits he would like to bring in fresh faces for the second half of the season.

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/transfer-gossip/roy-to-launch-9m-n-zogbia-bid
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:14:24 pm by J-Mc- »

Offline Gerty

• Kemlynite
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
Re: Roy eyes 5-6 new players in January
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 12:16:20 pm »
Those quotes from Roy can't be true.

He knows we're overstaffed.

Offline Dr. Beaker

• Veo, to his mates. Shares 50% of his DNA with a banana. Would dearly love to strangle Frankengoose. Lo! Be he not ye Messiah, verily be he a child of questionable conduct in the eyes of Ye Holy Border Guards.
  • Legacy Fan
  • I... think I am, therefore...I....maybe.
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 12:16:34 pm »
Hopefully we can get a decent English style keeper too.
NAKED BOOBERY

Rile-Me costed L. Nee-Naw "The Child" Torrence the first jack the hat-trick since Eon Rush vs Accursed Toffos, many moons passed. Nee-Naw he could have done a concreted his palace in the pantyhose off the LibPole Gods...was not was for the invented intervention of Rile-Me whistler.

Offline liverpooll

• I am right, you are wrong, despite all the evidence to the contrary. Just does not get it. Also does not get that he does not get it.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 12:16:57 pm »
Those quotes from Roy can't be true.

He knows we're overstaffed.

exactly

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 12:17:07 pm »
I love N'Zogbia, would be a great signing. Get it done Roy.

Offline DUGlish

• blah blah and so on...
  • Kopite
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2010, 12:17:10 pm »
James, Zamora, Murphy, Gera, Davies
There are places I remember.....

Offline dgoh

• Kopite
  • Son. Brother. Student. RAWKite
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2010, 12:17:18 pm »

"If Fernando (Torres) isn't playing one week, you have got to get someone in who has got the same level of quality."

This bit worries me. We're not only looking for players in the january roy!

Offline SP

• Thor ain't got shit on this dude! Alpheus. SPoogle. The Equusfluminis Of RAWK. Straight in at the deep end with a tube of Vagisil. Needs to get a half-life. Needs a damned good de-frag.
  • RAWK Staff.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Super Title: Southern Pansy
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 12:17:54 pm »
Torres, Babel, Ngog and Kuyt.

Plus on how he has been used this season, Soto.

Offline ianation

• Anny Roader
  • PSN: ianation
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2010, 12:18:13 pm »

i can't see him firing us to the title though?
PSN: ianation

Offline WavertreeRed

• Anny Roader
  • Internet Terrorist, Detonating emails every 5 mins
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2010, 12:19:38 pm »

horrifying
Will you please kindly refrain from all this rational common sense bollocks.

Someone has said something on a social networking site, so it must be true.

Offline Dermot

• Rent this renovated space for just £3.99/month. Price includes neon backlighting.
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2010, 12:19:50 pm »
This bit worries me. We're not only looking for players in the january roy!

:D
The cheek of that mon, deserves a shlap

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2010, 12:20:23 pm »
i can't see him firing us to the title though?

Lets be honest, we're a long shot off winning the title. N'Zogbia is the kind of understated player that would walk into our team and immediately make everyone so much better as he knows his role well. He'd balance us much better and we all know how good Reira was for us that one year. I know a lot of Mancs that scoffed at Valencia aswell, know he's rated as one of the leagues best. Would be a good signing for me.

Offline Red Viper

• Foolproof
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • RAWK Fantasy NFL Champion 2019 & 2020
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2010, 12:20:56 pm »
Hopefully he'll have been given the Manchester City job by then. :P

Offline underdog

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2010, 12:21:12 pm »
5 or 6 players is the wrong way to go, he needs to look past this season, buy 2 quality players now, and add to them in the summer with another 2 or 3. Don't buy 3 ok players, one good and one poor it won't get us anyone where in the long run. A quality wide man would improve us massivly, so that should be priority, even if it's the only player we buy in Jan it should be a bloody expensive, young, creative wide man.

This is my objection to "Zog" he is better than what we have yes but my mother taught me buy cheap buy twice, and this is what we're doing, and have been for years. Buy a cheap player for now, then buy again for the same postion with a player slightly better, then again next time around. Lets just spend on quality, one player a window if needed.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:28:48 pm by underdog »

Offline Eldiego

• Anny Roader
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2010, 12:27:14 pm »
No disrespect m8 but if we really want to challenge again for the title or getting in the top 4 then we definitely need to sign better players then N'Zogbia,
Diego Armando Maradona On 2006 World Cup Ceremony.

The Argentine refused to go into the opening ceremony of the 2006 World Cup in Germany, saying: "I'm not here to look at bloody Pele walking around."

Offline mayday

• Kopite
  • Keep the faith
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 12:27:49 pm »
"Having three front players at the club, and that's if you include Ryan Babel, is nowhere near good enough"

Why does he need to emphasise that point? "and thats if you include Ryan Babel". It means: Roy doesn't consider him a striker, but for the sake of his argument, he will include Babel as a striker. OR Ryan Babel isn't good enough and will be sold.

I hope the 5-6 players Kenny has a say in it otherwise if they are Roy's signings, the next manager may have a tough job getting LFC back where it should be.
In Brendan We Trust

Offline Eldiego

• Anny Roader
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 12:28:25 pm »
"Having three front players at the club, and that's if you include Ryan Babel, is nowhere near good enough"

Why does he need to emphasise that point? "and thats if you include Ryan Babel". It means: Roy doesn't consider him a striker, but for the sake of his argument, he will include Babel as a striker. OR Ryan Babel isn't good enough and will be sold.

I hope the 5-6 players Kenny has a say in it otherwise if they are Roy's signings, the next manager may have a tough job getting LFC back where it should be.
Some should send this to Ryan Babel Twitter.

The Argentine refused to go into the opening ceremony of the 2006 World Cup in Germany, saying: "I'm not here to look at bloody Pele walking around."

Offline rogue

• Main Stander
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 12:30:56 pm »
He doesn't know what he's talking about.  Its no wonder the tactics are all over the place when he doesnt even know what positions the players can play in.

And lol @ being short of players when he loans them out at the start of the season due to not being able to fit them in.

Offline Liverpools no. 9

• Main Stander
  • Fernando Torres Liverpool's no.9
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 12:31:00 pm »
Eden Hazard
Fabio Contreau
Ever Banega
Mirko Vucinic
Steven Defour
Ibrahim Afellay

One can dream.
He gets the ball, he scores again...

Offline S.Red please

• SerbianRed ;)
  • Legacy Fan
  • Penny Lane there is a barber showing photographs
    • HFSG
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 12:31:50 pm »
Messi, Ronaldo, Eto, Pique, Maicon and Lucio please. Or sack Roy ;D
Justice for the 97

Offline silver 5 star

• Mistter Gramatticle. Heell corecct you're spelinng mistaikes
  • Legacy Fan
  • BUILD A NEW STADIUM - NO GROUNDSHARE!!!
« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 12:33:11 pm »
Hopefully he'll have been given the Manchester City job by then. :P

Chester Manchester City.
Then out spake brave Horatius, The Captain of the Gate; "To every man upon this earth Death cometh soon or late. And how can man die better Than facing fearful odds, For the  ashes of his fathers, And the temples of his gods. " FENWAY - Do not let us down! RAWK is boss lid

Offline Jin

• ky
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2010, 12:33:12 pm »
The thought of Roy being handed more money to buy players is terrifying

Offline Cruiser

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 12:34:44 pm »

+ Carlton Cole.

Jesus, I really hope NSV fuck Roy off by then, this torture is endless.
If he retires I'll eat my fucking cock.

Great anti climax for those expecting jizzihno....

Offline Ultimate Bromance

• The Crab
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2010, 12:35:32 pm »
My opinion on Roy being here in January:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8IXCK1EyP4s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8IXCK1EyP4s</a>
Clear Eyes, Full Hearts, Can't Lose.

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2010, 12:35:43 pm »

The only one who's any good out of that lot and then he'd only be a squad player

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2010, 12:36:42 pm »
I'm terrified as to where these 5-6 players will play, (Not anfield before you say!)

A couple of wingers and a second/back up centre forward maybe but you have to assume that Koncheskey, Poulson, Carra, Gerrard, Miereles are safe as they're either Roys signings or his nailed on 'homegrowns' so we're either targeting squad players or everyone else is up for the chop.

Worrying.

EDIT - I'd be more than happy to see N'Zogbia on the left - He's got pace, decent delivery, can beat players and has an eye for goal - all in the Premier League too.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 12:40:55 pm by OohCampione »
Quote from: Peter Griffin, Yesterday
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A Pedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert."

Offline Dr Abismo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2010, 12:38:19 pm »
5 or 6 players is the wrong way to go, he needs to look past this season, buy 2 quality players now, and add to them in the summer with another 2 or 3. Don't buy 3 ok players, one good and one poor it won't get us anyone where in the long run. A quality wide man would improve us massivly, so that should be priority, even if it's the only player we buy in Jan it should be a bloody expensive, young, creative wide man.

This is my objection to "Zog" he is better than what we have yes but my mother taught me buy cheap buy twice, and this is what we're doing, and have been for years. Buy a cheap player for now, then buy again for the same postion with a player slightly better, then again next time around. Lets just spend on quality, one player a window if needed.

I was going to post a comment like this but you beat me to it. My heart sank when I saw "5-6 new players". Too many, and obviously mostly gap-filler bench-warmers unless we're spending about £80m, which is highly unlikely, and anyway the wrong thing to do in January.

I hope it's just a mistake. The quote, I mean.

Offline simesy

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2010, 12:38:55 pm »
My opinion on Roy being here in January:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/8IXCK1EyP4s" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/8IXCK1EyP4s</a>
;D
When you're in the penalty area & dont know what to do with the ball, stick it in the net & we'll discuss the options later"  Bob Paisley

Offline Buzz Killington

• Winner of RAWK's sexiest adolescent, as awarded by the Rt. Hon. CJ Parker
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2010, 12:39:20 pm »
I was going to post a comment like this but you beat me to it. My heart sank when I saw "5-6 new players". Too many, and obviously mostly gap-filler bench-warmers unless we're spending about £80m, which is highly unlikely, and anyway the wrong thing to do in January.

I hope it's just a mistake. The quote, I mean.

Agree

Offline Mr Kipling

• Manhattanite
  • Legacy Fan
  • "Dream of Kloppifornication"
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2010, 12:40:19 pm »
I'm terrified as to where these 5-6 players will play, (Not anfield before you say!)

A couple of wingers and a second/back up centre forward maybe but you have to assume that Koncheskey, Poulson, Carra, Gerrard, Miereles are safe as they're either Roys signings or his nailed on 'homegrowns' so we're either targeting squad players or everyone else is up for the chop.

Worrying.

Won't be getting any of those in with Roy in charge

Offline paddysour

• likes balls
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2010, 12:41:10 pm »
Won't be getting any of those in with Roy in charge

What makes you say that?

Offline Libertine

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing behind me, everything ahead of me
« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2010, 12:41:19 pm »

he wants to buy someone with the same level of quality as Torres (of which there are about 5 in the world) and have him on the bench unless Torres is unavailable. Oh and 5 other players.

great stuff.

Offline Eldiego

• Anny Roader
« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2010, 12:41:57 pm »
Didn't Rafa also say that he needed 4 or 5 quality players..

Offline JovaJova

• Advises you to avoid premature Jovaculation.
  • Legacy Fan
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2010, 12:43:50 pm »
It will hopefully be our scouts who are putting players in front of Roy anyway so it's up to them to be doing their job properly

The only real big money, non stop gap signing Roy (or our scouting network) made has been good. We just have to hope the Poulsen and Koncheksy fiasco were heat of the moment decisions made under difficult conditions.

Better still, we get a new manager and some new players.
You said, I think I'm like Tennessee Williams, I wait for the click, I wait but it doesn't kick in

Offline OohCampione

• RAWK Scribbler
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • SOS Convert
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2010, 12:44:42 pm »

Yep, but you have to assume that one was LB, one was CF, a CB and 2 wingers.

Roy has already bought a LB and has assured Carra of a place at CB so Roy is saying that the squad Rafa left him needed 7-8 players - and that bollocks
Quote from: Peter Griffin, Yesterday
"You'd better watch who you're calling a child, Lois. Because if I'm a child, you know what that makes you? A Pedophile. And I'll be damned if I'm gonna be lectured by a pervert."

Offline Dr Abismo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2010, 12:44:46 pm »
Hopefully we can get a decent English style keeper too.

I almost took you seriously there for a minute.  ;D

Offline Rossie

• Legacy Fan
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2010, 12:46:18 pm »
Yep.
"Some people cannot see a priest on a mountain of sugar."  Rafa Benitez, 01/Nov/'10.

Offline audioedge

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • What would Buddha do?
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2010, 12:46:42 pm »
Eden Hazard
Fabio Contreau
Ever Banega
Mirko Vucinic
Steven Defour
Ibrahim Afellay

One can dream.
Omg!!! That would be amazing

Offline GaryM

• RAWK Supporter
  • Kopite
  • Nunca Caminarįs Solo.
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2010, 12:50:16 pm »

To challenge for the title, not to get us out of the relegation zone.
"There's not one club in Europe with an anthem like You'll Never Walk Alone. There's not one club in the world so united with the fans. I sat there watching the Liverpool fans and they sent shivers down my spine. A mass of 40,000 people became one force behind their team ... For that I admire Liverpool more than anything" Johan Cryuff

Offline Dr Abismo

• Anny Roader
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2010, 12:50:23 pm »
Omg!!! That would be amazing

Three of those would be great, but I can't see it. And we don't need Defour. It's the sign of a tentative manager, who keeps buying midfield players. We lack adventure, width, pace, skill, and a striker. The engine room is looking okay now.