Author Topic: COVID-19:VERIFIED news sources, 0 politishit, 0 CONSPIRACY SHITE  (Read 3459997 times)

Offline rafathegaffa83

• Legacy Fan
  • Dutch Class
Worrying, but probably not surprising

Medical professionals around the US told BuzzFeed News that the official numbers of people who have died of COVID-19 are not consistent with the number of deaths they’re seeing on the front lines.

In some cases, it’s a lag in reporting, caused by delays and possible breakdowns in logging positive testsand making them public. In other, more troubling, cases, medical experts told BuzzFeed News they think it’s because people are not being tested before or after they die.

In the US, state and county authorities are responsible for collecting data on cases of COVID-19and deaths. The data is then reported to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

In California, one ER doctor who works at multiple hospitals in a hard-hit county told BuzzFeed News, “those medical records aren't being audited by anyone at the state and local level currently and some people aren’t even testing those people who are dead.”

“We just don't know. The numbers are grossly under-reported. I know for a fact that we’ve had three deaths in one county where only one is listed on the website,” the doctor said.

A spokesperson for the California Department of Health told BuzzFeed News in an email that “local health jurisdictions are required to report all positive COVID-19 cases to the state. In addition, when a death or impending death from COVID-19 occurs, health care facilities must immediately notify their local health jurisdiction and the state."

They did not immediately address the question of whether they’re confident their death count is accurate given the shortage of testing for COVID-19.

And two of the hardest-hit areas in the nation — New York City and Los Angeles County — released guidance earlier this week encouraging doctors not to test patients unless they think the test will significantly change their course of treatment. That means that potentially more people in both places could be admitted to hospitals with severe respiratory symptoms and recover — or die — and not be registered as a coronavirus case.

[...]

Doctors and nurses working in several hospitals around the country, who spoke with BuzzFeed News on the condition of not being named out of fear of repercussions, said that the official counts of COVID-19 related deaths are not comprehensive for three main reasons: a lack of tests and protective equipment means not everyone who contracted or dies of COVID-19 is diagnosed; overwhelmed hospitals may be running behind on reporting the numbers to state and county authorities; and some hospitals reporting their totals on a daily basis say they’re not being reflected promptly in county and state reports.

This doesn’t necessarily mean that authorities are underestimating how deadly the disease is. States across the US have implemented stay-at-home orders in part because there are an unknown number of people who have COVID-19, including some who may never even have symptoms or get mildly sick and recover but are still capable of spreading the virus.

What it does mean is that we don’t have a fully accurate picture of how widespread COVID-19 deaths are, or where they’re happening at the highest rates.
More here: https://www.buzzfeednews.com/amphtml/nidhiprakash/coronavirus-update-dead-covid19-doctors-hospitals?

Offline Wabaloolah

• Rocks to the East, Rocks to the West. Definitely Unscotch.
  • Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
I think it will be. it would be a nightmare to control for any decent competent President, Trump is anything but a decent competent president. the USA has a bluff merchant in charge when it faces a nightmare, the Jaws mayor analogy is fitting.
have a look at Obama's twitter and then compare it to Trump's.  I still find it hard to believe that he could actually win an argument let alone an election  and looking likely to win again.

Obama would have been the guy to have handled this properly and at least have made an effort to tackle it and not just whistle Dixie  and hope for the best
However if something serious happens to them I will eat my own cock.

If anyone is going to put a few fingers deep into my arse it's going to be me.

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
  • We all Live in a Red and White Kop
I did not have The Cheesecake Factory in my COVID Economic Fallout bingo as the 1st company to say they won't pay rent to their landlords
https://la.eater.com/platform/amp/2020/3/25/21194144/cheesecake-factory-rent-strike-chain-restaurant?
I have already suggested here, maybe a week ago, that rent and mortgage payments (both business and personal) should be suspended across the board. Unless I am missing something major, this is the best, easiest way to spread the load. For just about everyone, except the wealthy, this will best balance the discrepancy between income and obligations, allowing for businesses and households to keep going. I'd also do something about rates, taxes and utility bills.
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Thomas

• Doubting
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just getting emails through from the major banks/building societies. They have temporarily withdrawn all of their purchase/remortgage products above 60% loan to value.
We're the kings of Europe, the pride of Merseyside, we'll fight for no surrender, we'll fight for Shankly's pride.

Offline RobbyR

• No new LFC topics
  • Anny Roader
  • A retro red from another generation
I dont think that isolation will work, there are too many idiots who will fk it up for us all. it will need to last for 6 to 8 weeks to be effective in my mind
A red since 67

Offline KurtVerbose

• Legacy Fan
  • Burp! ...excuse me.
You try me once you beg for more.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Saw an example on the bank of Ireland site. Something like 15 years left. Monthly payment now £555. After 3 month holiday £565. For £1500 when I really need it, that doesn't seem too bad. Note for those considering that have mortgage terms about to end, be careful. Banks may not let you switch product so you will be stuck on SVR. Also the rate cut for those on trackers should have helped.
are people expecting the banks to give them three months free, any kind of mortgage payment relief means more gets tacked on the end as the balance you owe won’t change

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
One evolutionary biologist and epidemiologist summed it up as:

"Imagine if I were to write a paper about a thought experiment: "Could evolution work if animals didn't die?"

Well, the equivalent FT headline would read "We may be immortal — University of Washington study."

It's that bad."

(Bergstrom)

Danger of that report is that it is associated with Oxford Uni, and so will be taken as accurate by many, as evidenced by some posts on here a couple of days ago.  It should go without saying that all information such as that report should be robustly supported by evidence based information.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Lead Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Dejan Lovren fan club member #1
Danger of that report is that it is associated with Oxford Uni, and so will be taken as accurate by many, as evidenced by some posts on here a couple of days ago.  It should go without saying that all information such as that report should be robustly supported by evidence based information.
It’s oxford and Cambridge.!

The trouble is not what they wrote, but hat it went public.  Scientific discourse is great, but it needs to be done correctly and not in the press.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada
Ok this Skynews report from Queens in New York is scary a doctor working in an IC unit saying they are on the edge of something Biblical.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 10:47:13 am by Trada »
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
Ok this Skynews report from Queens in New York is scary saying they are on the edge of something Bibical.

So that's why Trump is talking about getting America working again around Easter Sunday...

Offline Sheer Magnetism

• RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
are people expecting the banks to give them three months free, any kind of mortgage payment relief means more gets tacked on the end as the balance you owe won’t change
Presumably, the length of repayment would just extend by three months, wouldn't it?

Offline PaulF

• https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/paulfelce
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Nothing feels as good as fat tastes.
Presumably, the length of repayment would just extend by three months, wouldn't it?
Not what I saw. They may change tack, but for now payments will rise.
"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline Elmo!

• Spolier alret!
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Just getting emails through from the major banks/building societies. They have temporarily withdrawn all of their purchase/remortgage products above 60% loan to value.

I'm glad I took out 5 years fixed deal when I bought my house last year now.

Offline Trada

• Fully paid up member of the JC cult. Ex-Tory boy. Corbyn's Chief Hagiographer. Sometimes hasn't got a kloop.
  • Legacy Fan
  • Trada

Sky News Breaking
‏Verified account @SkyNewsBreak

The number of COVID-19 cases in Spain has risen to 56,188 from the 47,610 recorded yesterday and the number of coronavirus patients who have died has risen to 4,089 from 3,434
Don't blame me I voted for Jeremy Corbyn!!

Miss you Tracy more and more every day xxx

“I carry them with me: what they would have thought and said and done. Make them a part of who I am. So even though they’re gone from the world they’re never gone from me.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
It’s oxford and Cambridge.!

The trouble is not what they wrote, but hat it went public.  Scientific discourse is great, but it needs to be done correctly and not in the press.

The fact it has no empirical justification (evidence) would suggest it can then only be taken as author 'opinion'.  Yep,  it should not have went public.

Offline Lush is the best medicine...

• FUCK THE POLICE - NWA
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
not as far as I am aware, if you have 10 years left you still have to pay it within that timeframe so the payment goes up

I'm glad I took out 5 years fixed deal when I bought my house last year now.
Did that for my remortgage a year ago, only did it because there wasn’t a ten year option

Offline tubby

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
  • Destroyed Cowboy
Those are horrible figures from Spain.
Sit down, shock is better taken with bent knees.

Offline TepidT2O

• Deffo NOT 9"! MUFC bedwetter. Grass. Folically-challenged, God-piece-wearing, monkey-rubber. Jizz aroma expert. Operating at the lower end of the distribution curve...has the hots for Alan. Bastard. Fearless in transfer windows with lack of convicti
  • Legacy Fan
The fact it has no empirical justification (evidence) would suggest it can then only be taken as author 'opinion'.  Yep,  it should not have went public.
Quite

That’s not to say their paper is rubbish, it isn’t, but it’s a discussion piece.  And it’s only that.

The press finds this so hard to understand when they report science.
“Happiness can be found in the darkest of times, if one only remembers to turn on the light.”
“Generosity always pays off. Generosity in your effort, in your work, in your kindness, in the way you look after people and take care of people. In the long run, if you are generous with a heart, and with humanity, it always pays off.”
W

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
not as far as I am aware, if you have 10 years left you still have to pay it within that timeframe so the payment goes up
Did that for my remortgage a year ago, only did it because there wasn’t a ten year option
I'm on a lifetime tracker at .29% above base rate taken out in 2006. Needless to say these ultra low interest rates have been very good for me. I just missed out on one tracking below base rate too!

Bought at the top of the market before the crash was the downside,  keep getting calls from lenders offering to better my rate and reduce my monthly  payments. Needless to say not one of them has!

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Sky News Breaking
‏Verified account @SkyNewsBreak

The number of COVID-19 cases in Spain has risen to 56,188 from the 47,610 recorded yesterday and the number of coronavirus patients who have died has risen to 4,089 from 3,434

Spain's 'curve' is behind Italy's, and the latter is approaching (maybe there now) plateau.  So Spain's curve will continue to rise for a fair few days at least yet, (taking the Italian 'curve' as a guide).  I'd expect the 'Lockdown' impact to inform (slow) the curve (rate of increase) just as Italy's appears to be doing.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Quite

That’s not to say their paper is rubbish, it isn’t, but it’s a discussion piece.  And it’s only that.

Yep exactly.  It was one of the key question to arise from yesterday's session of the 'Science and Technology Select Committee' when they queried its accuracy.

Offline Wabaloolah

• Matchday Commentator
  • Legacy Fan
  • Allez Allez Allez
    • My Twitter Account
Those are horrible figures from Spain.
less cases and deaths than yesterday,  have to see if that continues over the next few days

Edit - according to worldometers anyway

2nd Edit - actually their figures are different  to the source not sure why
« Last Edit: March 26, 2020, 11:09:48 am by Wabaloolah »

Offline RobbieRedman

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Chris Smyth
@Smyth_Chris

Death figures update:  last night only 28 new fatalities recorded.

Alas this is not good news, it is because there are now so many deaths NHS using a 7.30am cut off instead of 1pm.

So govt looking at changing how they are reported 1/2

@Smyth_Chris

We may not get any death figures today, as they are looking at moving to publishing first thing in the morning.

Aim is to give more time to collate NHS data and inform families before ages and locations made public 2/2

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Setting aside the irony for now, this should be positive news for UK & wider EU.  UK still retains 'benefits' of EU membership during the transition period - currently until 31.12.20.  That assumes the UK remains engaged and will fully partake.

https://www.cips.org/en/supply-management/news/2020/march/coronavirus-eu-joint-procurement-shows-power-of-working-together/

Coronavirus: EU joint procurement 'shows power of working together'

The European Union has successfully purchased crucial personal protective equipment (PPE) for healthcare workers treating Covid-19 as part of a joint procurement scheme.

Producers of equipment – including masks, gloves, overalls, goggles and face shields – have met and in some cases exceeded the amount requested by member states, the European Commission (EC) said.

Following a joint procurement process launched last week, offers are currently being evaluated by member states and contracts are expected to be signed within days.

The equipment will be available in as little as two weeks after the contracts have been signed, depending on the production capacity of the companies and delivery time needed as well as the contract specifications.

EC president Ursula von der Leyen said: “All over the world, there's right now a tremendous need for protective clothing and medical equipment. It is therefore a success that the Joint European Procurement Initiative has been able to secure on the world market concrete offers of considerable scale on shortest notice.

“This is EU solidarity in action. It shows that being part of the union pays off. This material should soon provide considerable relief in Italy, Spain and in 23 more member states. Now it is up to the member states to sign the necessary contracts swiftly.”

Thierry Breton, the commissioner in charge of internal market and industry, said: “This joint procurement demonstrates the power of working together in a coordinated manner. It allows member states to join forces when purchasing medical supplies.

“In parallel, we continue working with industry to increase production and activate alternative ways of manufacturing the equipment we need. The commission will continue to support this collective industrial effort and work with member states so that the material reaches those who need it most urgently.”

Last week, the EU announced it was creating a stockpile of medical equipment including ventilators, respirators and vaccines to support member states through the Covid-19 pandemic.

Offline TSC

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Chris Smyth
@Smyth_Chris

Death figures update:  last night only 28 new fatalities recorded.

Alas this is not good news, it is because there are now so many deaths NHS using a 7.30am cut off instead of 1pm.

So govt looking at changing how they are reported 1/2

@Smyth_Chris

We may not get any death figures today, as they are looking at moving to publishing first thing in the morning.

Aim is to give more time to collate NHS data and inform families before ages and locations made public 2/2

This may suggest any not reported yesterday will be included within today's figures?

Offline Jiminy Cricket

• Batshit fucker and Chief Yuletide Porcine Voyeur
  • Legacy Fan
A letter in the FT about the Oxford study (that was discussed on here yesterday)

[snip]

https://www.ft.com/content/ebab9fcc-6e8d-11ea-9bca-bf503995cd6f?shareType=nongift

Spoiler

Letter: The Oxford study figure has no empirical justification

From Tim Colbourn and others

Your article “Coronavirus may have infected half of UK population — Oxford study” (FT.com, March 24) reports conclusions of a modelling study. Having read the study, we have major concerns.

This figure is based on an assumption for which the authors offer no empirical justification. This is that only one in 1,000 infections will need hospitalisation. Yet more than one in 1,000 people have already been hospitalised in the Lombardy region of Italy, despite stringent control measures being implemented (population of Lombardy: 10,060,574; hospitalised: 10,905; hospitalisation rate per 1,000 population: 1.08; deaths: 4,178; deaths per 1,000 population: 0.42; data updated to 5pm March 24). Our Italian colleagues professors Walter Ricciardi and Anna Odone have data indicating much higher rates in some towns in Lombardy.

We are also concerned that the study paper included a contact for press inquiries even before it was peer reviewed, or even checked against the Italian hospitalisation and death data. While the authors’ intention may have been to highlight the need for the serological antibody test for Covid-19 infection that we agree is needed now, we are concerned that the sensationalist media headlines the paper is generating have dangerous implications.

First, if it is believed, then it threatens control efforts everywhere, as people will think they have probably already had it. Second, politicians are desperate for the current situation not to be as bad as it appears and to be able to relax what we believe are the minimum restrictions necessary.

Tim Colbourn
Associate Professor of Global Health Epidemiology and Evaluation, UCL Institute for Global Health, London, UK

Anna Odone
Associate Professor of Public Health, University Vita-Salute San Raffaele, Milan, Italy

Walter Ricciardi
Professor of Hygiene and Public Health, Università Cattolica del Sacro Cuore, Roma, Italy

Elio Riboli
Professor in Cancer Epidemiology and Prevention, School of Public Health, Imperial College London, UK

Nisreen Alwan
Associate Professor in Public Health, University of Southampton, UK

Martin McKee
Professor of European Public Health, London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine
[close]
would rather have a wank wearing a barb wire glove
If you're chasing thrills, try a bit of auto-asphyxiation with a poppers-soaked orange in your gob.

Offline Eeyore

• "I have no problem whatsoever stating that FSG have done a good job.".Mo Money, Mo Problems to invent. Number 1 is Carragher. Number 2 is Carragher. Number 3 is Carragher. Number 4 is Carragher. Likes to play God in his spare time.
  • Campaigns
  • Legacy Fan
  • JFT 97
Quite

It isn't a paper though. It is apparently just an exercise to get scientists to talk about immunity. Surely it is sensible to do that on a closed group of scientists and not on twitter.
"Ohhh-kayyy"

Offline Gerry Attrick

• Sancho's dad. Tight-arse, non-jackpot-sharing get :)
  • Legacy Fan
It isn't a paper though. It is apparently just an exercise to get scientists to talk about immunity. Surely it is sensible to do that on a closed group of scientists and not on twitter.

Or maybe people aren’t so thick as to take it out of context. There’s that option too.

Offline Andar

• Legacy Fan
A rise in the number of domestic abuse incidents during the lockdown has already been observed, according to a Greater Manchester police leader.

Beverley Hughes, the deputy mayor for policing and crime, said there had been cases of abuse linked to the coronavirus outbreak and the force was anticipating more serious incidents.

Speaking during an online press conference with the region’s Covid-19 emergency committee, Lady Hughes said:

I think we are beginning to see a rise in domestic abuse incidents. We anticipated this might happen in the very stressful circumstances for many families.
The potential for tension to arise in the home as a result of what we are asking people to cope with, in order to suppress the virus, is going to increase and therefore we would be right to think this might display itself in an increase in the number of domestic incidents we are called to.

Offline liversaint

• Beach boy giver of yuletide joy to ha-run-run-reindeer
  • Legacy Fan
  • Settle down Beavis
At 6.30 in the morning? 

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Same for me , I can walk for hours and not see anyone without too much difficulty normally. Some dogs will shrivel in the sunlight as they never fucking go out any other time of year.
You say Honey? I say Fuck off.

You dont win friends with Salad

There is another option. Mr Ferguson organises the fixtures in his office and sends it to us and everyone will know and cannot complain. That is simple.

Offline clinical

• incision required - a bad case of an urgent rawkectomy? "And of course I've got this terrible pain in all the diodes down my left side."
  • Legacy Fan
This self employed covering is so complex. How would you stop someone claiming then going out and working anyway? Or working at home like many high paid IT consultants. People will take advantage we know the greed in this country.
Thank Fowler we're not getting Caulker

Offline Giono

• Legacy Fan
  • And stop calling me Shirley
I dont think that isolation will work, there are too many idiots who will fk it up for us all. it will need to last for 6 to 8 weeks to be effective in my mind

Why 6-8 weeks?

The quarantine rules in some countries for incoming travelers is 2 weeks. That is based on you getting infected just as you leave or on the flight.

And as far as the virus being on store surfaces...that is a shorter lifespan.

They are starting movement and a sort-of normal in China gradually. and they were the first to deal with this and the hardest hit.

I don't see 2 months.
"I am a great believer in luck and the harder I work the more of it I have." Stephen Leacock

Offline WorldChampions

• Charlie uniform november tango fan...
  • RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Precisely Rob and this was 6.30am so I'm guessing not a coincidence they all turned up by chance.

The regulars I get, like me it's their every day routine but these lot, never seen them before.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Can't really complain though. I'd usually be cycling in the PM but now I'm working from home I have time in the AM. I'm sure the regular morning mid week cyclists are thinking the same as you...

Offline TepidT2O

• Legacy Fan
That’s really exactly what I said.
W

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
If eyes are a major entry point for the virus, are glasses wearers 'safer' ?

"All the lads have been talking about is walking out in front of the Kop, with 40,000 singing 'You'll Never Walk Alone'," Collins told BBC Radio Solent. "All the money in the world couldn't buy that feeling," he added.

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
This self employed covering is so complex. How would you stop someone claiming then going out and working anyway? Or working at home like many high paid IT consultants. People will take advantage we know the greed in this country.
I’m self employed and can only speak for myself but greed is not what’s on my mind at all.I’m concerned about not being able to pay my mortgage and other bills in the coming months.I’d be happy to just get the £94 a week UC but aren’t entitled to it.

Offline PeterJM

• The Queens Drive Dodger. Has a reckless appetite for meat
  • Legacy Fan
If eyes are a major entry point for the virus, are glasses wearers 'safer' ?

As a glasses wearer I’d say no because the number of times during a day I take them off and put them on makes for more potential exposure.

Offline No666

• Married to Macca.
  • RAWK Scribe
  • Legacy Fan
I’m self employed and can only speak for myself but greed is not what’s on my mind at all.I’m concerned about not being able to pay my mortgage and other bills in the coming months.I’d be happy to just get the £94 a week UC but aren’t entitled to it.
Quite. It's a really Tory thing to worry about those who misuse a system, such as the benefits system, when in reality it is a tiny proportion of the whole.

Offline PaulF

• RAWK Supporter
  • Legacy Fan
Yeah, but there are those out there that are coughing at old people, mugging people for NHS ID and selling fake testing kits door to door to elderly.

I have my fears that the volunteers for food deliveries will skim off the top.

(as for glasses, I wear mine all day, never take them off).